Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Pen and Paper Style Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Nibbles

Supernova
Hello! I've been trying to find new ways to suplemment our RPing here on blue moon and I wanted to get a general census on whether people were interested in the idea of d20 style gaming over the web.

I was thinking that maybe we could find a way to Impliment a dice roller function on the sight, (if thats possible) since we already have all of the basic structure of a good Table Top Rp but without direct mechanics. Unless something like this on the site already exists, in that case a link will be lovely. ^_^

I can’t give you an ‘official’ answer, and there is no die roller that I know of. What I can tell you is with people preferring to do RPs different ways (PMs, forums, IM, e-mail) I kinda doubt there will be one. It might be easier just to do it yourself in the real world or, if you know some programming, create it yourself. Most I RP with wants the heroes to win, but realistically allow damage as is. But as a fellow RPG rule monkey I have tried to find workarounds. Note though many here rather do free-form than get ‘tied down’ on rules. Or in the case of the RPG Paranoia, screw the rules and do whatever is most fun(ny). Here is some ideas from moi from least complicated to “Are you kidding me?!” complicated.

(Don’t ask why spreadsheets makes me horny)

Magic system: I have two. One takes Shadowrun’s concept and just free-form it. If its an easy spell, no problemo. Medium, the caster feels a little winded or fatigued. Hard, insert headaches and nose bleeds. The other is to decide on some sort of fuel system for spell points. And the time to refuel might be at an inconvenient time (i.e. when being chased). And being what this place is, guess what the fuel is? “I am all out of juice. Quick! I need some sperm and an orgasm!” A fairly simple number crunching system. Warning: many drop my RPs after revealing the number crunching!

I also have another number crunching system for heat/horniness. All actions succeed unless so much time and/or situation results in failure due to the need to seek relief. Both of these are hints at on my f-list.

GM/DM: I actually have this on a request thread. Alas, my only taker has yet to post. *sniff* And truth be told, the rules and setting (Earthdawn’s Barsaive) are very much intertwine. Yet even here the story comes first and willing to wave some of it off. Still, the GM/DM half could do all the ‘die rolling’ on his side.

Rule of Averages: Take the typical D20 and pretend all die rolls are 10. If you really want to succeed on a task, you can pretend you roll just enough to do that. Say a 15. However, you know have a ‘debt’ of 5 and your next virtual rolls need to pay that debt. The next one might be a virtual roll of 5, or the next 5 rolls a 9. You can also go the opposite way. One is given a task requiring a roll of 7. After a virtual roll of 7, the person gets a ‘credit’ of 3 to roll a 13 for later or just save it till some other time when a higher roll is needed. Decide on a debt/credit limit (10 to 20) and run with it.

Virtual Cards: Imagine you have 20 cards numbered 1 to 20. Instead of rolling you ‘spend’ a card hoping it will be high enough to succeed in the task. After spending 10 cards (or whatever you and your partner decide) you get the oldest card spent back into your hand or pool. If you want to make it more complex, allow suits that are ‘trumps’ giving, say, a 50% or 100% bonus to the value of the card if spent on certain actions, but penalize if you use it for other actions. Say a suit for Strength, a suit for Constitution, etc. (An offline spreadsheet will help here, creating a 2D grid) Early on many tasks might be easy but once you get to that number of cards its time to make some decisions. This is very similar the TSR’s SAGA rules which uses cards instead of dice. The idea is you want to hoard your high cards till you really need them, gambling using your low cards on simple tasks will succeed or purposely fail an unimportant task in hopes to draw a higher value card.

Interesting that this even got brought up at all because...... wait for it....... this was the general gist of my plans for the revamp of the 'Other Requests & Coordination' subforum. Not sure about implementing a diceroller function (though there is one on BMR's chat feature), but yeah............ so, this sort of thing will actually be getting its own section sooner than later. XD

I think implementing something like this would be nifty for those who would like to include that element of chance into their writing, as is common among tabletop roleplaying. If this is done at some point, it would probably be best if it were done in a way where others could see the roll in some way, so there wouldn't be any discrepancies over a curiously good/bad roll.

For now though, I did a quick Google search on things you can use in the meantime. Though this one wasn't one of the prettier ones I found, it allows you to send the results to your other player(s) via email, which seemed like a solid way to keep things on the up and up.

darkangel76 said:
Interesting that this even got brought up at all because...... wait for it....... this was the general gist of my plans for the revamp of the 'Other Requests & Coordination' subforum. Not sure about implementing a diceroller function (though there is one on BMR's chat feature), but yeah............ so, this sort of thing will actually be getting its own section sooner than later. XD

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKUOB8MN4Kc[/video]

This is great news! I can't wait to see it in florition. Also, how do I use the diceroller function?

Secondly thank you for you're ideas Patricio! That might supliment me for a while.

Dr. Nibbles said:
Hello! I've been trying to find new ways to suplemment our RPing here on blue moon and I wanted to get a general census on whether people were interested in the idea of d20 style gaming over the web.

I was thinking that maybe we could find a way to Impliment a dice roller function on the sight, (if thats possible) since we already have all of the basic structure of a good Table Top Rp but without direct mechanics. Unless something like this on the site already exists, in that case a link will be lovely. ^_^

not sure what you wish to all include but there is actually a good site online for this. I'm involved in rpol.net and they have dice rollers. If you want check it out as they really have good d20 games there.

In addition to RPOL, there are also a number of additional sites like the official Wizards of the Coast site and Invisible Castle that have thier own stand-alone dice rollers until the BMR one gets implemented.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom