Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Mercs Interest/Backstory

B

Broomhandle45

Mercenaries are, by trade. People who are hired out by individuals for personal profit. While generally illegal in a legal sense, this has been circumvented by the usage of Private Military Companies that are hired by first world governments for security, support and logistics. However, those are bogged down by regulations and even more so in political scandals.

That is where Spectre comes in. As far as anyone knows, Spectre is either a person, or an organization. Thousands of people the world over work for him or her, gun runners, information brokers, some even say politicians and high ranking generals. Spectre is also a prime source of income for situations big and small that require a finely paid hand to ensure jobs are done properly.

In this capacity, you could say that Spectre has succeeded in a constant source of income, but for another very important reason: Vonistan.

Established in 1991 after the collapse of the Soviet Union, Spectre played no small part in making an independent nation into a festering bed of terrorism and militia. Supplying everything the natives needed to keep the cycle of conflict going, almost indefinitely. With terrorist groups spread out across the former Soviet nations, all of them having a basis in Vonistan. This has proven quite fruitful for Spectre, and those he seems qualified for his employment. As of the present day, conflict in Vonistan continues unabated, with reports of terrorism and violence spreading so far as Russia with Vonistani roots. There is always something to do in Eastern Europe..
--
This is my attempt at sort of..putting the shock paddles back into the Mercs idea. I really enjoyed it, but I felt like it wasn't living up to it's potential. For any old players, you are more than happy to go into the archives and dust off your character profile. For an easier time for everyone, Vonistan is basically the default location of any character mercenaries in the employ by Spectre. There will be predetermined safe houses often operated by Spectre operatives such as gun runners, drug dealers and the like that player characters can use for their off mission activities, or they could have somewhere in Vonistan that they stay in.

Mercenaries in Vonistan can contact one another in any way they wish to form up a group for a mission, Ideally, PMing people in the RP and throwing out the mission concept can work, we will also have a thread up for people to basically post wanted ads for squad members of any shape or size for a job that they thought up. The only thing stopping you from finding people is not asking, basically. I think this would be a more ideal set up compared to the previous, where everyone is crammed into a house together for the sake of it. There's nothing stating that you can't know each other or even be in the same joint together, so by all means if you guys want to make mercenaries friends, partners, lovers..whatever. Fine by me. It's likely that everyone will at least be familiar with one another, as they're all hired by Spectre.

BUT

There's going to be some differences for the sake of some realism. I'm going to lay down some rules here so people don't come in with a false sense, I'm going to make sure these rules are very clear, so you have no excuse not to know of them, I will also post these in a separate thread for easy grabbing.

Rule 1- This is not smut oriented, this is ACTION oriented.
During operations, missions..what have you, smut is not cool. These people that are hired to do these jobs are professional in skill. If you want to do smut stuff with someone, there will be threads that can highlight the 'after' aspect of a mission. But this is NOT THE MAIN DRAW OF MERCS.

Rule 2- Characters that have military experience MUST BE OLD ENOUGH TO MAKE IT WORK.
Spectre hires all types of people, but don't give me the crap of a 18 year old having extensive special forces experience. Be reasonable in your explanations of your character and what they can do, and make the age match the experience, this isn't an anime. This is based on realism, I am willing to give a little elbow room for ages, but I'm not having any teenagers run around when they're supposedly super awesome soldiers. Your age should match the experience of the character you have. Any old characters from Scotty's RP should see to it that their age fits..by all means, if you're not sure, ask away.

Rule 3- Realism does not mean no fun, realism only means that when you get shot, it hurts.
How you go about your thread and what you do in it is your call, I'm not going to harass people for being Rambo and calling the mission a success. All I'm asking is to please, PLEASE, PLEAAAASE realize that regardless of how awesome your character is, getting shot is a problem. No matter how professionally trained and super swank your character is, bullets hurt. If you want to be gung-ho, just be a little smart about it, that's all I'm asking. If someone comes to me calling bullshit about someone rushing a machine gun and not getting hit, I'm going to agree. So a level of quality is suggested, just for the sake of easy joining of anyone.

Rule 4- There will be a quality check!
By quality check, I mean that your character actually fits the atmosphere that Mercs is supposed to have, sort of a gritty war environment feel that has people fighting conflicts they don't give a damn about for money. Their purposes for doing it can be anything, but at the end of the day, they're killing people that they don't care about for someone else to get paid. Keep your anime special snowflakes at the door, I mean people who are supposed stealth experts running around with two uzis and shouting at the top of their lungs about how awesome they are. Don't be that guy, because I will kick that guy the fuck out.
--

So..I think that's about it for a general interest thread, if people are still indeed interested, I'll start putting up relevant threads. Also, I've tried contacting Scotty about the Mercs RP to see if he would be doing something or the other, he's read my PM but he gave me no response. But I got the go ahead to try and post this up so we can actually use this subforum we were given.

Well I like where this is going Im definitely interested.

If I have any ideas or questions I'll just make another post asking cause as of now I can't think of anything.

Considering the setting and all it seems there will be some type of relationship with each country. Picturing Metal Gear Solid level shit occurring or at least for more important missions. You could possibly place a star system/level for the difficulty. Overall I am intrigued and since I mentioned it in Chat, probably enter a former child soldier; literally a person wired only by warfare.

You're picturing pretty wrong, then. It's not about a grand, wide thing. It's about mercs making money.

Broomhandle45 said:
You're picturing pretty wrong, then. It's not about a grand, wide thing. It's about mercs making money.

Whose to say there cannot be a means towards ranking the difficulty in a mission. Bigger risk, better reward. Suppose just saying that just making money suffices.

Anyway have you decided if there be competition between us and different PMCs?

There won't be, for the pure fact that Spectre isn't a PMC company, Spectre is someone who promotes the status quo of Vonistan and the surrounding areas. Nobody knows that, but that's the main purpose of Spectre hiring people on. Whatever they do will have an effect somewhere else, that will cause another conflict. I really feel it's best to not overcomplicate an idea that hasn't even started yet, being paid to do crazy shit for money is good enough for me until people get bored of making their own missions, contributing in others and so forth.

Not to say there might not be PMC companies around, but they're kinda irrelavent in any sort of 'competitive' sense. Spectre promotes the market as it is, Spectre doesn't try to solve it.

Fair enough just like to clarify things is all. Just need time to design my character I guess. Regardless I probably will be onboard, just need to balance college and this for now.

Anyone is welcome, there is no limit to the people who can join. Just post a character in the character creation/sheet thread.

Back
Top Bottom