Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Sexual or non-sexual?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anne1981

Moon
When I look at the requests I have to go through a whole list of sexual roleplays each time to find one that is a little interesting. This is because I want as much story in my roleplays as possible, with a bit of sexual content as it comes along. Most people doesn't seem to share my view.

Am I in the wrong place if I want to start a roleplay that is not entirely directed at sexual content?

If not, might it be a good idea to make a separate section for roleplay that is not directly and entirely sexually based?

**edit** For those who don't really understand me: I have no objection against sexual content in my roleplays, but I want more than just sex.

You're not alone in your want for RPs that have more plot where the sex, etc is bonus and adds to the development of both the plot and characters. Believe it or not, there's actually quite a handful of people who prefer such things, not to mention there are even some who wish to do no sexual anything in their RPs at all. This being an adult RP site doesn't mean that sex NEEDS to be in the RP. Far from. Of course, it's a common element, but it's not required. Also, adult themes include other things beside sex. It's also violence, language and other such themes.

As for separating out the various sorts of RP requests? It's something that will be considered and, even if it's not implemented straight away, doesn't mean it won't be eventually. So the suggestion shall be noted. Also, have heart. There truly are several members here that are like you in your wants.

:)

I can't speak for everyone else, but I go to other places for non-sexual RPs. For places like this, there will be sex involved, be it a little or a lot. Now mind you, I wouldn't mind some plot and dialouge to go with it, after all, the sex has to come from something, right? Nevertheless, sex will take place in the threads I play in...it will also make sense.

Spynmaster said:
I can't speak for everyone else, but I go to other places for non-sexual RPs.

So where do you go? I don't mind using more than one site for roleplaying. Wait...if it is against the rules to mention other sites just say so and forget about the question. I couldn't find a rule that said so, but I might have missed it.

darkangel76 said:
You're not alone in your want for RPs that have more plot where the sex, etc is bonus and adds to the development of both the plot and characters. Believe it or not, there's actually quite a handful of people who prefer such things, not to mention there are even some who wish to do no sexual anything in their RPs at all. This being an adult RP site doesn't mean that sex NEEDS to be in the RP. Far from. Of course, it's a common element, but it's not required. Also, adult themes include other things beside sex. It's also violence, language and other such themes.

As for separating out the various sorts of RP requests? It's something that will be considered and, even if it's not implemented straight away, doesn't mean it won't be eventually. So the suggestion shall be noted. Also, have heart. There truly are several members here that are like you in your wants.

:)

There are people on site who do non-sexual RPs. The only way you may know is to ask. Trust me, there are people here who do non-sexual RPs. Of course, if you'd rather do such RPs elsewhere, that's your decision. But it's not necessary unless you really want to. Most people will place sexual themes in their threads but this doesn't always mean that they'd be adverse to a non-sexual RP. My advice... ask people.

Don't worry. I don't want to get away from here. I just intend to broaden my view.
I am pretty sure there are enough non-sexual or partly sexual roleplays going on here. And I will get into that anyway.

Definitely not saying you shouldn't add other sites to your list. RPing on multiple sites can indeed be quite fun. I just want to make sure that the site isn't mis-represented. Yes, sexual themes are very common. But it doesn't mean that's all there is available.

You are certainly in the right place, as there are many who share your desire of a more plot-driven storyline with sex there for added flavor, if it's there at all. I don't feel that an additional subforum for searching for that purpose is the right idea; I think it's as prevalent as most desires, in that it may not jump out and smack you in the face, but if you look for it you'll find a few. I've never had issue finding them here, anyway.

I see that you're pretty new around here(welcome, by the way!), and have yet to make a request thread. This will go far in finding what you want, as in addition to you searching through the roleplay request subforums for what you're looking for, you can detail what is it you'd like so that other people who are also searching might see that and come to you. If what you want is something with a focus on plot, be sure to have a mention of that in your topic to help garner the right type of attention.

Just as ADF said, putting up a request thread can help you out a lot. You can still continue looking for someone who matches what you want, but you'll also find that people are contacting you, while you sit idly, saying that they want the same thing as you do.

I also want to throw in a little more advice -- when you make a request thread, it's helpful to put the most important details right up in the topic title. Maybe say something like, "Looking for MxF with plenty of plot!", and anybody who agrees will instantly click. :] Sure, feel free to be creative, but you don't need to be fancy. Stating what you want up front also makes it a lot easier to get games, because otherwise some people might get confused and not bother to ask.

Also, something I hold true to my own RolePlaying -- I think the best way to get the most out of your RolePlaying will be to form lasting, out of character relationships with your partners. Whenever you start a game with someone, don't assume it's going to be the one and only game you play. Once I've established that I enjoy playing with someone (as well as chatting with them), I find that both of us are more open to trying things we never have before, or putting a spin on things we never really liked. So if you find a great game, even if it's rather sexual, maybe next time around, you could say to your partner "I had a lot of fun with this. What do you think about playing a game where sex isn't really as important?"

Sure, I have to say that the vast majority of RolePlays you'll find here are sexual in some sense or another. However, that doesn't mean that every player wants to play sex all the time. Come on, it gets boring! So join in the community, put up a descriptive, personalized request thread, and keep looking. If you don't find what you're looking for immediately, I'm sure that by digging in your roots, you'll eventually find a much better experience than your originally hoped for. :]

Anne1981, I am new here too and could be way off beam but I would think a thread started in Open Roleplays could well get a response?

I think the term Role Play is phenomenally broad and as a newcomer it can definitely be confusing. To me it could mean a quite literary approach, basically developing into a collaborative writing project (if the participants write as a reasonably serious hobby, or are perhaps even published) to more of a (not good on the terminology here sorry) strategic "game" probably in fantasy worlds.

And then there is the genre, which seems to me to fall quite distinctly into fantasy/science fiction v modern/realistic historical?

So if you took me and my dabblings with writing as a hobby (I mean my private writing) I actually veer more to straight "literary" genre, and secondly (but not primarily) erotica, but that would also tend to be almost entirely "literary" genre erotica. Since this is an adult roleplay site my profile would tend to suggest erotica is my only choice. Also I could indulge in some "fun" or "experimental play in some thread that does not necessarily reflect my primary interest (it can be really interesting trying to write outside one's "norm").

What people might seem to superficially indulge in may not reveal lots of other facets of what interests them. I've written before on quite brutal BDSM themes, but that is not what I would say characterises my own psyche. A bit like, Anne Desclos wrote Story of O as a kind of personal challenge, after her lover who happened to be studying Marquis de Sade at the time remarked "A woman could never write something like this!" And later, after it had arguably become the most famous/infamous erotic work of fiction ever, she is said to have remarked with a laugh something like, "Good heavens, a woman would never ACTUALLY want to be treated like that", referring to the willing slave O. A bit off topic, but I'm just trying to say that I suspect that, for many, some (often quite bizzare) sexual fantasies may actually be a kind of diversion from other themes that could interest us as much if not more? Not sure how generally that is true, but it might be in my case for example.

But anyway... say for example you had in mind a non-sexual modern realistic idea I for one would almost certainly notice such a thread.

As I stated earlier.... just because this is an adult RP site, sex isn't a must. AND people, despite req threads that have listed kinks, etc ARE up to doing RPs that aren't sexual at all or have little sex in them overall. It's about putting yourself out there. It's about asking around. It's about making some wonderful friends.

Hopefully my words and the words of ADF, ohhmia and Sir L have made an impact. :)

I'd be willing to RP with you in a RP that's not sexual. I have an idea for a "genie in a bottle" type plot that you might like. PM me if you're interested.

I don't always do sexual roleplays. I like story driven ones too. So there are people here that like stories besides sex driven themes.

I love my role play to have plenty of plot, something that I am certainly hoping to find that I have in common with the few people whom I have been discussing possible stories with. I've had people stop role playing with me before on other sites and services because I took too long to 'get to the good stuff' as they said. Now some of my plots are very smut heavy, of course, but it depends on the context of the story. If the context of a plot is a master/slave sort of deal, for example, then there is going to be a lot more smut than a high school romance.

Thank you all for the great reactions. I never expected to receive this much response. And it is all so understanding and friendly. I really hope I might speak with some of you in a story someday. As for me posting my own request. I am not ready for that yet. I just started in two stories, and I am planning to try these first to find out what suits me best and how I like it best. If I got it all figured out I'll make my own request some day.

I like sex as much as the next person in my RPs, but it does not have to mean the driving element. A compelling story is always good. :)

When I first joined I joined for sex sex sex. But then I had the pleasure of meeting one Vivified Vanity and that's all changed. I much prefer plot strong roleplays that dabble in sex but have other themes first and foremost. It's much more exhilarating. :)

While I find that sex is great all on its own, there is something more. Having strong characters and history lends more to any kind of sexual scene, whether it be because watching your favorite character get broken is exhilarating, or because it lends more to a loving moment. If I can get it, I prefer strong role-playing, but I often don't have the patience for it.

Just because something is "adult" doesn't mean it always contains super mature content. There are plenty of people on this site who are interested in something that is completely plot oriented with lack of sexual expression.

If it helps at all. I am here for (normally) story based roleplay as well. When I first joined (which wasn't that long ago >_<) all I saw was sex. I was a bit disappointed. Then I made a thread and on the top I wrote: " WARNING: I am normally in the mood for story driven roleplay! Not pure smut. If that is what you are looking for then hit the back button. " Then I PMs from people looking for story based ^^. I would just put it in your thread and make it clear what you are looking for. Also having a plots for people to choice from that aren't sexual can be a big help too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom