Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

BMR Approval Process?

Would members like for BMR to have a simple approval process for newly registered members?

• Yes.

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • No.

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That sounds like a pretty weak argument. If they already plan on joining, why would a little wait period bother them unless they are underage? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. And keeping them in the dark about a wait period is deceptive. They wouldn't get why they can't post and get pissy until the little notification pops up. And then they would probably say, "why wasn't I warned about this before?"

It's not like they are signing their lives away when they join. It's about having fun and writing.

--I feel like this is stemming completely off-topic.

As_Day_Fades said:
--+Hahvoc Requiem+-- said:
...why would a little wait period bother them unless they are underage?
That is quite a leap.

How is that a leap? If they know they are underage and have a waiting period, I think they are smart enough to realize it is done to make sure they are of age for the site itself.

That aspect may be true, and that is why clarification is key. Your sentence that I quoted, though, is worded in a way that says there is no other reason someone would be against a waiting period unless they are underage.

what other reasons would there be? I mean, if you're already in the sight, and you're against the verification, what reasons would be for someone to so no to it? This isn't a troll, or anything of the sort, but i'm truly curious. Would someone please enlighten me?

I'm neither for nor against an approval process, but my thoughts are that if one is implemented, it should focus more on the maturity aspect of things, because (to be quite blunt about it) I have met a lot of adults with the maturity of a 10 year old.

razerwing, my reason was quite clearly stated earlier in the thread, and has been echoed by several others since. I encourage a process that would allow the mods whatever time for proper verification that they feel they need, but at the same time would like to have it as minimally restricting to the user as possible. This is because I feel that a fair amount of people would see that there is a waiting period before they can become involved, if one is implemented, and in their desire to write would continue on their search for somewhere they could get involved in right away.

This is not some huge deal, but my point is not one without precedence either. I am twenty-seven. I was twenty-five when Blue Moon was first opened. If I'd had to wait some length of time then there is a fair chance I would have continued on and found some other place. (Actually, I WAS looking at two other communities at the time, and that BM would allow me to scratch that writing itch quicker helped tip the scale.) This is not prevalent in everyone. I wouldn't even say half. But, I felt it was there often enough that it was worth the mention. You can argue the how and why of that all you wish, but the truth is I am of age, was of age, and that example is one that several other members have expressed in this thread as well.

No one here has expressed a desire for 'no verification,' just opinions on how to best achieve the time needed for verification without restricting new members any more than we have to. The idea that those of an opposing opinion should not express such because this does not directly affect them is, quite honestly, an ignorant one; it is hypocritical, as you are a member too, as this does not have any direct effect on you either, yet you feel comfortable and confident in expressing yours anyway - as you should.

In response to Geralt, and I think someone else might have asked something similar earlier, verifying on a scale of maturity would be a sort of Pandora's Box of elitism. BM isn't about how mature people are, or how well they write, with the exception of behavior so poor that it upsets others. That's not what part of being a community is about. =) Especially one with so many varying styles.

Geralt said:
I'm neither for nor against an approval process, but my thoughts are that if one is implemented, it should focus more on the maturity aspect of things, because (to be quite blunt about it) I have met a lot of adults with the maturity of a 10 year old.

They generally either get better or leave. There are a bunch of no bullshit people around here who don't suffer fools gladly.

EDIT: Also, while I enjoy what you are attempting to do--e.g. having an at-a-glance about how someone is--that doesn't seem like it would work out super well. That's how shit would get hella cliquey around here. Plus that's a really abstract, qualitative thing and that shit's just so much harder to pin down.

Given my current 'new' status, I probably shouldn't bother poking my nose into business better suited to the more dedicated members of the Blue Moon community but I'm not the kind of guy that keeps his mouth shut when he believes that he's got something to say that's worth hearing. If I offend anyone or make anyone feel like I am stepping on toes in the process then I apologize in advance. I can be a pretty opinionated person and make myself sound like a royal dick without meaning to.

Now then, I don't know what kinds of powers the admins have over the member privileges and it's kind of hard to offer screening advise when I don't know what the screening process is (which DA has already given her reasons for not revealing). Still, if it is possible then I think that Rapedoll's suggestion of limiting the PM system is a solid idea but in need of a little tweaking.

Instead of having a set time limit before the PM system is accessibe would it be possible to create an 'Entry Level' permission group with access to only being able to post in the 'Introductions' forum? This would disable the newest members from being able to PM or post in the request thread and role playing forums. While still allowing them to meet and greet people in a relatively safe zone of the site. When age is confirmed, they are moved to the 'Members' permission group and the rest of the site is opened to them.

This would, I believe, cut back on the spammers and jailbaits. Now, I'm new to Blue Moon but not to 'adult' role playing and I can safely say that in most, if not all, of my previous experiences with online erotic role playing that jailbaits have one calling card. They know that they aren't supposed to be where they are and, as such, purposefully try to slide under the radar as much as possible. Most, though not all, are going to stick to PMs and probably use PMs exclusively. Keeping them away from the PM system until they can be verified will intimidate most and cut back on their very registry. Those that do register, won't make it to the PM system anyway (success pending on screening method).

Edit: For what it is worth, I am in full support of some form of registry screening regardless of how the admins feel about my own. DA has made it quite clear that it will not be as extreme as Elliquiy and, therefore, has certainly earned my support in whatever she may settle upon, regardless of what it ends up being.

☢☢Zombies Galore☢☢ said:
Conqueror Prime said:
I can be a pretty opinionated person and make myself sound like a royal dick without meaning to.

What I'm hearing is, "I fit in great here."

Well I would hope so because now that I've got most of my life outside of role play sorted out, I intend to stick around. Fortunately, I am a lot more thick-skinned than a lot of other people that you could easily label as 'opinionated' and I'm not quick to argue unless I've got a good point to be made and then I still strive to support my opinions and claims with fact and experience.

Though it really can't be surprising that my attitude would be a common one on an adult website. I have seen a lot of kinksters around the website and when you throw a bunch of dominant minds together in one place then there is going to be a lot of testosterone flying around, so to speak.

Ok. This thing has been open for a week now and since the 'yes' has the clear majority, something will be implemented. That said, I'm closing this thread and we'll be moving on to discussing what suggestions people would like to offer up as to how to go about this. The top ideas mentioned thus far include:

01) Indefinite time delay - approval begins the moment they are verified until which they cannot post or PM.
02) Set time delay - approval begins after a set window of time during which they'll be verified. During this set delay, they cannot post or PM.
03) Delays with limited posting - approval begins after a delay (be it indefinite or set) during which they'll be verified. During this delay, they will have limited posting access and no ability to PM.

Of course, more ideas are welcome for discussion. In the meantime, I'm going to see how easily these three ideas can be implemented or not. And once that's determined, be on the lookout for another thread discussing ideas and finalizing how this approval will be implemented site wide. That said, be on the lookout for it in the near future.

Thanks for the feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom