Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

BMR Approval Process?

Would members like for BMR to have a simple approval process for newly registered members?

• Yes.

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • No.

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

darkangel76

.:The Vampiric Fae:.
Supporter
We were wondering what people's thoughts would be to some sort of approval process for Blue Moon.

We do not want it to be elaborate or over the top. It would be something simple that would allow us a window to remove underaged members before they had a means of contacting people unknowingly, etc and to stop spammers. In fact, that would be the sole purpose of the approval process, nothing more.

Thoughts? Comments?

darkangel76 said:
We were wondering what people's thoughts would be to some sort of approval process for Blue Moon.

We do not want it to be elaborate or over the top. It would be something simple that would allow us a window to remove underaged members before they had a means of contacting people unknowingly, etc and to stop spammers. In fact, that would be the sole purpose of the approval process, nothing more.

Thoughts? Comments?

On the surface I like the idea, but to be honest I'm not sure if its a 'good idea'. I'm also a member of elliquiy, and I found their approval process to be rather aggravating. I know you said it wouldn't be that kind of approval process..but its the slippery slope that I'm afraid of.

Well, there would be no questionnaire or anything at all. It would only be to make sure the registered member is of age and not a spammer. Nothing more. A lot of underaged people post and PM people before they are fully checked out. This could potentially reduce and/or eliminate that problem. That's the main reason for bringing this up at all.

I'd rather not divulge that information. Doing so could help potential underagers evade being banned. Something no one wants.

I can understand that, but I assure the process would be nothing like E. In fact, it wouldn't really be a process. No one is being evaluated. Merely checked for age and spam.

It's just that I see posts by jailbaiters making it on the boards sometimes, etc etc. And it can really upset people who've had the unfortunate luck of interacting with them unknowingly. Just trying to figure out a way to help reduce/eliminate that. For their protection.

I can see reasonable, valid arguments for it, but I'm against. The reason for it, underage verification, is a necessary one, but is there maybe another way?

A few people have mentioned E already and you've said clearly that it won't be anything like that. That's good. I personally enjoyed E's approval process but that's beside the point. I think that BM benefits from being different from E in some ways, and could strive to be different still. I think one of the key things you can point to is that there isn't an approval process/wait period. That people can just sign in and get started is a good draw to anyone checking out the site. If you take that away, even making it as short as a day or so, that may dissuade some people in the future who don't feel like going through a waiting period/process/etc, which I know has had a lot of people not bother with E.

I understand a need, but it has me wondering if there are realistic alternatives. Would another mod help keep that under control? And how much of this issue is first-time offenders and how much is people getting banned and coming back? If it's the latter I think a temporary IP ban until the person could verify they are of age would be beneficial.

I dunno, I'm just thinking out loud. Overall, I understand, but I'd like to see things as open and inviting for new members to hit the ground running as possible.

As much as I'd hate to admit it, ADF has a point. If I would have had to wait for an application to go through I would have lost interest. Ever since I found out E had an application process I declined to apply and decided to stay here. Now if you had a few Mod's to go in and process new comers as they come, that may be a better alternative, that way you can still have people checked out almost instantly.

That eliminates the need for an application process, and also potentially decrease the chances of underage users/spammers coming to the site and spamming with their lies and useless "trolling for the lulz".

Though on another note, would it be possible to clear up the member list? All those that haven't been active, receive an email and if they either decline the invitation or ignore the email outright I mean. Just a thought, to get rid of all the jailbait, spammers, or inactive users, in the member list to give it a cleaner look, and to avoid any confusion.

As far as nabbing jailbaiters BEFORE they post or PM, the only way to do that is for them to wait until they're checked. Otherwise you are taking a chance that they will, etc etc. I agree that I like that BMR is different from E and that there's pretty much no wait time, etc etc. However, I don't see how it's possible to not have one unless there's a definitive way, other than honor's system, to know that someone isn't a jailbaiter when they register. If people can think of a true blue way, please let me know. I'd love to hear it.

One thing I'd like to point out.... back before we switched to MyBB.... there was a time when there was a minor approval process pretty much identical to what I'm referring to. People would register and activate and then post. The post would go into a queue for moderator approval, giving admin a chance to verify age and spam. Once verified, they could be approved and their posts would show up, etc.

Newer people won't know necessarily what I'm talking about. But those who've been here since before June 2010 should. The way it went.... was after the newly registered member posted, they got a notification that their post would show up within a 24 hour time slot. It was this time slot that allowed for such checks and verifications.

I understand, but at the same time I agree with ADF. I also think that if there was a wait time that at least half the people that would other wise register would just give up and go elsewhere.

Perhaps.. like we have to make 10 posts before we can make a signature. Well perhaps a new person would have to make 2 or 3 posts before they could use the PM system.. it's not foolproof but in making a post restriction would be a means to delay them from being able to contact other members right off the bat. Time to do an age verifying. That way they wouldn't necessarily get discouraged that they couldn't get started right away, and most of the legit people probably wouldn't even notice the delay in sending a PM.
Or not even a 2 or 3 post limit .. perhaps just a 24 hr waiting period before they could use the PM system. but they would still be able to make an introduction ect.. ect..
After all i do think that most adults would sit back and wait a day or so getting the feel of the place before really jumping in with two feet and starting to PM people.

I think you guys are really making a mountain out of a molehill, it's not anything big. You just get put on hold for a little bit while the checks are done, I don't really see the problem with it unless there's a sudden issue with like..a thousand members joining in one day or something.

I find it interesting how you people who have been on here for months/years are all "I'm so against this idea!" You're already approved, I don't see what the hell the problem is. This is to help the site as a whole, not try to dissuade people from joining.

It's a pretty cut and dry process that's short and to the point. It's not about pulling teeth or even trying to extract your life-force through your nose.

It's about stopping you from having to find out that some person you were RPing with was actually fifteen or some such age. It's not like E. This site isn't E. It's similar to a point, but very dissimilar as well.

It's about keeping the integrity of the site intact by cutting down on more of the punks who think they are uber smart by simply typing in "Hi, I'm legal!" And also reducing spammers.

So yeah, DA, go ahead with this. I approve.

I like Rapedoll's suggestion of the time delay on using PMs. Would something like this be enough to cut back on the issue, do you think, DA? Or is something more than that needed?

--+Hahvoc Requiem+-- said:
I find it interesting how you people who have been on here for months/years are all "I'm so against this idea!" You're already approved, I don't see what the hell the problem is.
Are you suggesting we should hold some sort of bias because we're already approved, therefor it doesn't affect us?

--+Hahvoc Requiem+-- said:
This is to help the site as a whole, not try to dissuade people from joining.
I think we're all in agreement that it's to help the site as a whole, and not to dissuade people from joining. My point was the side effect, not the intention.

Broomhandle45 said:
I think you guys are really making a mountain out of a molehill, it's not anything big. You just get put on hold for a little bit while the checks are done,...
The original post in this thread was not only open for discussion, but specifically asked for it. It's a question of action/reaction. I think we're all in agreement that something additional would be beneficial, we're just trying to brainstorm the best way of going about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom