Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Complicated Shadows (MxF) - Dark Fantasy RP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barghest

Moon
Raymond Chandler said:
“She’s a nice girl. Not my type.”

“You don’t like them nice?”

“I like smooth shiny girls, hard boiled and loaded with sin.”

“They take you to the cleaners,” Randall said indifferently.

“Sure. Where else have I ever been?"

Click here for my RH

I'm in the mood a fantasy RP that incorporates themes of noir fiction and horror fiction, so I guess what I'm looking for would fall under that all-too-vague category of "dark fantasy." I'm picturing a city with a late medieval feel to it, maybe with some steampunk elements. I'm picturing a lawless city where merchant guilds hold all the real power and the "royalty" have devolved into little more than small-time crooks who love ceremony. This is a city where you can find anything you want-- and if you're brave enough and unlucky enough, you might just hold on to it long enough to regret it.

This isn't a setting about saving the world; it's about people trying to get by. I think there's a lot more room for character development that way. Characters with flaws and vices are much more believable and enjoyable than characters who are squeaky clean and prophesied to save the world.

*****​

Post length: Normally I'll post 2-3 paragraphs, but can do more or less depending on how the story is flowing. I know this is the part where I'm supposed to say "no one-liners," but sometimes one-liners can be good. Sometimes if you've got a good dialogue going, it's easier to write in shorter posts than to write an essay with the quip buried somewhere in it. That said, sometimes you really need to flesh out a scene and write a really long post. No big deal, sometimes you need Hemingway, sometimes you need Faulkner.

Posting frequency: Normally I try to do at least one IC post a day, but can do more on good days. I've got lots of stuff to keep me busy IRL, so if I don't respond right away it's probably just because I'm busy, not that I'm ignoring you. If the RP isn't working out for me I'll at least have the decency to tell you—I know that not fun but it's better than leaving somebody hanging.

A little about me: I'm a voracious reader, and I don't just limit myself to genre fiction. I've got a wide range of interests and I enjoy working with other writers to create believable characters and plots. I'm not in this just for the smut, but when it comes to smut I will get my Tropic of Cancer on.

What I'm looking for: I prefer to play over PMs. I usually play male characters, and I only play opposite female characters. As far as women, I really enjoy love/hate relationships. I think it's incredibly sexy when two characters start out hating each other, but are both faced with an undeniable attraction. I'm okay with the whole D/s scene is fine, and if that's your thing I'll usually play dominant, but I don't like playing against characters that have no will or personality. I like characters that have a little bite to them.

I can be game for most stuff, so it's just easier to list what I'm not into. I don't like scat, ws, vore, gore, humiliation, furries, or characters under 18. Other than that, feel free to ask; I'm not exactly easy to shock.

*****​

Plot Hooks

These are some ideas for characters and plots in this setting. At this point I want to keep the plots fairly general because I'd rather work on plots together to suit both our interests. These hooks are more meant to show the characters I like to play. Of course if you've got your own plot idea, hit me up and we can work out the details.

The Wrong Cards

They say every gambler lives on borrowed time, and that's truer for Kint Thibodaux than for most. At twenty four, Kint has built a reputation as a wicked card player, and his notoriety has earned him a seat at many a high stakes game. But the Thibodaux name carries with it a curse that strikes down every man on their twenty-fifth birthday. Kint has less than a year to find a way to break the curse before it claims him.

On this particular night, luck has been kind to Kint. He has just won a hefty pot from a back-room game in a part of the city usually off limits to people of Kint's class. It is enough money to let him try to hire the services of a sorcerer to remove the curse. Or if not that, then to at least live out his final year in what comfort he could muster. But in the city, a fortune rarely stays with one man for long...

The Way Back Up

When Desdin Atellus came of age, he was should have inherited a fortune. But luck always seemed to have its own agenda with Desdin. Even as a child those who crossed him seemed to meet with inexplicable misfortune. Bullies would fall into mud puddles, strict teachers would find themselves mired in scandal. He'd thought it a handy skill, even if he only half-understood how it worked. That all changed when a stroke of bad luck brought his once-powerful family to ruins. His family lost it all, the fortune, the estate, acres of land outside the city in one fell swoop. And whether his eerie power played any part in his family's downfall, Desdin could never know.

Out of desperation, Desdin joined the city guard. He's been steadily climbing up the ladder and gaining a as a man who gets things with no questions asked, or answered. But his rise can only last for so long. One day, he'll run into a criminal or a fellow guard who won't be such a pushover.

No Good Deed

Pandreus is a Mender, someone who can reach deep into the weave of the physical realm and heal flesh through force of will. For most of his live he's lived by the rules, and it had gotten him about as far as it usually did. He'd poured himself into his training, but when hsi training was complete, he was somehow even poorer than when he'd begun. One night he stumbles on a woman who's been attacked in the alley. He goes to help her, not realizing that the woman has deep ties to the city's criminal underworld. Pandreus soon finds himself in a much more lucrative, much more deadly world than he could have dreamed of when he was back at The Academy.

The Lost Shroud

Voric Bell had never wanted to be speak with the dead. But the power had chosen him and it held his soul like a vice. Some men born to necromancy would have used the power to predict the future or to summon grim spirits from the netherworld, but Voric refused to grant his "gift" any credence and tried again and again to unsuccessfully silence the mad, gibbering voices of the undead that called out from beyond the veil.

All that changes when Voric is approached by a woman haunted by a vengeful spirit, a spirit that knows Voric by name. The specter has a connection to both Voric's past and the woman's, and it has an elaborate revenge in store for the both of them.

The Left Hand

They called him Half-Mad Ben, but he liked to think of himself as half sane. Benjen Redhand was the top bodyguard for the Iulus Crime Family, a job he performed with brutal efficiency. Some claimed his father was a demon. Ben had never met him, but he figured that was just as likely as anything else. A reputation as a half-fiend simply made his job easier. That was, at least, until a prominent priest and vocal critic of the Iulus syndicate was found murdered, and all the evidence pointed to Ben.

Now Ben must track down the priest's real killer, to prove himself innocent of the one murder he didn't commit. But that's easier said than done--a demon hunter has set her sights on capturing Benn and she aims to bring the "half-fiend" to justice by any means necessary.

If It Bleeds, It Leads

When you're a journalist in a corrupt city, you're never short on stories, just on friends. Quin Kelly has spent most of his adult life trying to expose the truth about corrruption in the city. So far it's cost him two marriages, a house, and the last joint on his left pinky. But still Quinn kept looking for the next big story, the big break that would make a difference in this city, and more importantly, get him paid.

Out of the blue, Quinn got a message from an old flame. It said she had information that he should see, information that wold blow the lid off guild that was importing slaves. It was the story he'd been waiting for, but was it a trap? Either way, the chance was too good to pass up.

And Stay Gone!

Jaxan Alain is a bounty hunter; in a city like this, it's a good way to retire early, one way or the other. But for a guy like Jaxan, long on nerves and short on patience, it's the ideal job. Most of his time is spent searching for penny criminals who've skipped out on bail, but his latest query might prove a more challenging. The prophetess of a secret society has gone missing, and the society wants her found. But the prophetess would prefer to stay missing, and her powers may be more than he bargained for.

*****​
If any of this sounds up your alley, feel free to send me a PM.
Like I said, those are just some ideas, I'd be happy to try other plots, character, or ideas.

EDIT: A note to clear up confusion: Even though "Dark Fantasy" is in the title, this is in no way a Kanye West fannon RP. Sorry to disappoint. However if you're interested in a Kanye West Fannon RP check my thread 808s and Beefcakes over in "Roleplay Requests By People Who Need Constant Validation"

Like Biggie* said, Mo' Bumps, Mo' Plot Hooks

*"Fat" Tom "Biggie" Grabowski, my old DM. Taken from this world much too soon in the Omaha Minecraft LARP disaster of '10. One love, Fat Biggie.

Time takes a cigarette, puts it in your mouth
You pull on your finger, then another finger, then your cigarette
The wall-to-wall is calling, it lingers, then you forget

New hook and explanatory note added.

BONUS SECTION

Discarded Plot Hooks

1. The alchemists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could clone sexy elves that they didn't stop to think about whether they should. I would play a fantasy Ian Malcolm expy; you would play a sexy elf who knows how to open doors and test electric fences for weak points.

2. My character is a vampire but he's not really a vampire he's more like a leprechaun only not short and when he drinks your blood it turns into gold in his stomach so people always want to kill him for his stomach gold. Your character would be a sexy elf who knows how to open doors.

3. It's like Casablanca, but with wizards!

4. Thinly-veiled attempt to work out some issues from back when you lost your virginity to a costumed worker at Knott's "Scary" Farm. I mean---

5. It's like Sin city, but with crossbows!

6. I don't know, a knight or some bullshit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom