Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What Is Bump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever you post to a thread, it moves it to the top of the list in the forum since its the most recent thread posted on. Some folks "bump" their request threads accordingly and make it clear by saying bump (or bumping, etc) in the body of the post. That way, the move to the top and keep their request thread near the top so it gets seen by more users.

DareToDream said:
Whenever you post to a thread, it moves it to the top of the list in the forum since its the most recent thread posted on. Some folks "bump" their request threads accordingly and make it clear by saying bump (or bumping, etc) in the body of the post. That way, the move to the top and keep their request thread near the top so it gets seen by more users.

ooooh! i KNEW there had to be a reason for Bump!^^ thanks very much! i'll keep that in mind.

No problem. Just be sure to not abuse it as that irritates people fast. Bumping once or twice a day is usually enough to keep you on the first page but some folks thinking bumping every 5 minutes is fun. It's not.

ugh, no worries, i'll probably only Bump like... never, if no one hits my first thread then i assume it isn't a good idea and try another XDD there's no point in Bumping a Thread when i have no real need to. ^^

(i love the anagram by the way!)

A reasonable middle ground is to revise or add to your original request thread and then post a reply saying what you've changed. That way a reader can judge if they want to look at the changes.

Bumping just to get to the head of the line again is bad form, in my opinion (and that of many others).

Ways with Words said:
A reasonable middle ground is to revise or add to your original request thread and then post a reply saying what you've changed. That way a reader can judge if they want to look at the changes.

Bumping just to get to the head of the line again is bad form, in my opinion (and that of many others).

it's like spamming don't you think? bumping every five minutes and the such. in any case it's just rude and very annoying for the people who want to look at honest threads in the role play section.

i'll definitely try revising my threads a little more!^^ right now i don't have an actual request I'm still working on it^^

Ways with Words said:

Not really, with a large amount of users a perfectly fine thread can be (and will be) pushed down to page three. Bumping can bring it to people attention.

Pistol Kiss said:
Ways with Words said:

Not really, with a large amount of users a perfectly fine thread can be (and will be) pushed down to page three. Bumping can bring it to people attention.

Yes, at the expense of others who have posted newer stuff. If your original post has been moved to page three and that bothers you, say something new. Why subject readers to exactly the same thing over and over?

I bet 2/3 of the posts on the first page of request threads at any given moment are bumps of unrevised old posts. It's annoying, in my opinion.

Honestly... I plan on making it a rule in the guideline that bumping should only occur if you add something to your thread or are posting a reply to interest to your thread. Perhaps a bump can be considered all right if it's been a while and you're actively seeking RPs and your thread has moved all the way out to page 6 or some such thing. Personally, I think people should just place a link to their active thread in their signature. Then, when people browse active RPs they can go... Oh, req thread link, me clicky... ohhh... me likey. Bumping just to stay ahead is rude and inconsiderate to the new people making their threads or those who legitimately are bumping due to edits or interest replies.

darkangel76 said:
Honestly... I plan on making it a rule in the guideline that bumping should only occur if you add something to your thread or are posting a reply to interest to your thread. Perhaps a bump can be considered all right if it's been a while and you're actively seeking RPs and your thread has moved all the way out to page 6 or some such thing. Personally, I think people should just place a link to their active thread in their signature. Then, when people browse active RPs they can go... Oh, req thread link, me clicky... ohhh... me likey. Bumping just to stay ahead is rude and inconsiderate to the new people making their threads or those who legitimately are bumping due to edits or interest replies.

Bravo! To cite one example, Elliquiy, which has many more members than Bluemoon, has a strict anti-bumping policy and their request threads are much more useful, because the truly new stuff stays at the top longer.

As forums grow, anti-bumping policies become more and more necessary. (Yes, I know they also take more administrative work to enforce.)

In many forums I frequent, there is a rule where you can only bump a thread if it has fallen off the first page. It's very useful to keep the spam to a minimum. I mean, if it's on the first page, what is the point of bumping a thread? >_>;

I agree, though there are some people who feel the need to make their thread be in the first 10 and thus bump every hour on the hour. I personally think such behavior is rude and inconsiderate to newer members and those who are actually editing or replying to someone in their thread. I also think sig links are helpful. Having it so easily accessible makes those who read active RPs that much more prone to checking out your thread even if it's on page 10. lol. But I think threads can go to about page 3 before people start saying they might not bother browsing any longer. Although if it became a rule that bumping had to be kept to a minimum, more people would browse further I think. But yes, the point is... bumping needs to be minimized and I plan on adding this to the site guidelines in the VERY near future.

Thanks for the input everyone!!!!!!!

In all honesty, the anit-bumping rule is a god idea but there are people like me that just go on bm to RP and bump once a week if I have no RPs going on. How about having a character limit? That way they are forced to at least have a sentence. I don't know, maybe it is just me.

I'm in the middle of revamping the newbie guide and this is going to contain everything about forum etiquetted and how things are conducted here on BMR. This issue is going to be included and everything in there will indeed be based on things that are 1) already ongoing and 2) things the members have brought up and the majority feels should be done and 3) recent issues that have been addressed and needed to have something written out about them so as to avoid such things in the future.

For the bumping, it's going to be you bump if you have an edit or are returning a reply of some kind. And for now, until things possibly change and thus a change may be needed (as we grow and the like sometimes changes are needed), once your thread reaches page 4, you can bump for the sake of it. Those should be fairly reasonable things and it seems to be what most of you are wanting. It's fair and allows others to have top spot and it stops the spamming. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom