Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

MediaWiki Integration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vekseid

Most imposing inkwell.
Administrator
Apparently MyBB has better support for this than phpBB did.

I've configured a little system that lets me run several MediaWiki installs off of the same codebase, so it's no big deal to add and keep secure (any more than it is at Elliquiy anyhow).

Would anyone use and/or help maintain this?

Thanks!

Well, you know I'd do what I could if you decide to add this. That said, I do think it could be pretty useful here. Say for things like Open Roleplay for character profiles or even a place in general where members can store profiles since some have set characters they like to use more than once, etc. And like on Elliquiy, people could store their own pics and what not there too so that they don't have to dig for them in various threads if they want to retrieve them. Just some thoughts on how it could be used.

This isn't going to be a WikiLeak, right? 0.0

XD, no, I'm kidding. I would use it. I have a bunch of different characters, pictures, etc. that I need to keep track of, if that's what you mean.

Hoping more than one non staff member is interested :p

I think that would be interesting. But I would honestly prefer it not take the place of request threads. I enjoy reading request threads. It says a lot to me about a person that the new on/off system on E- has taken away, in my opinion.

The primary purpose of the wiki would be superior image handling. Whatever else people did with it would be up to them.

I don't really see it replacing the req threads here. I think it's too much a part of the site's 'culture' (for lack of a better term). I can, however, see people using it to store pics, avatars and character profiles mainly. Though, who knows. Everyone has their own ideas on how to use such things for their own individual purposes.

Another thought that came to my mind is that it could also be used to store links to RPs. Maybe a means to replace RP journals (not necessarily the typical journal that members use to update everyone on their lives, etc etc). It could help clean up the 'journals' section if people use it for that. But, I don't know. Again, I'm just throwing possibilities out there.

Anyway, I'm surprised that more people haven't spoken up here. Whether it's for or against or with their own ideas on how it could be used. Hrmm...

I personally have never been a fan of wiki's. The fact that anyone can access and edit information in them is a huge turn off to me. Again, all a personal opinion.

Let's face it, there are a LOT of petty, immature people out there on the world. Case and point, go look up Encyclopedia Dramatic. A wiki style site in with people just make bash other people and things they don't like just cus they don't like it and they can change the articles to say whatever they feel like making it say.

I'm not saying DON'T do it. I am saying if you are gonna do it, please don't make is a manual thing that replaces other parts of the board some of us would rather use. And please have someone keep an eye on it for when people with petty problems deface someone else's entries. I have no doubt it WILL happen.

I'll help maintain the wiki. On reflection, it seems like at least a good way to serve as a repository of information about old RPs and what-not. Could contain archives for major social events like the old mt-wiki did.

I would prefer to have one as well.

In response to butterfly's worries, wikis have a method of editing to a previous entry. So if someone vandalizes a page, you can fix it with a few clicks, and then report the asshole who did it to an admin.

Well, I thought about using ERP's Wiki page for a bit of a memoir of how I got started into roleplaying, detailing my adventures from beginning to where I am currently in all sorts of graphic and gory details, but hey, why not? I'll give it a shot for laughs.

It seems like a pretty good idea. I'd even help maintain it if you need any more help!!!

Honestly? I've never truly used a wiki before. I've had access to them, but I never looked at anything really. I don't have a super strong opinion on it, but I guess for people that don't want to use a site like photobucket or something it would be nice. *Shrug* I also don't really have a ton of character profiles I would store, but if it's a more organized way of doing open rp profiles, I might be interested in that. I'd have to know more to really weigh in, but I don't see myself using it all that often.

I used to use a Wiki for a huge RP setting, so they can be infinitely useful for a wide number of things for RPing. I say why not? If anything it'd be a good place to archive funny stuff in chat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom