Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The loss of literacy for enjoyment

i agree. But she did intend it to be for 10 to 12 year olds. Until us teenagers and adults got into it. then she had to change it all up. but yes i 100% agree with you.

No, she changed it because the people who started reading it when they first came out got older.

For all I don't care about Harry Potter I can not deny that is an impacting coming of age story, partially because of its maturing themes over the course of the books.

I'd just like to say first off that painting isn't uncommon. The community is small but there are several artists out there that not only do freelance but also commercial art. There are comic artists, conceptual artists, illustrators, tattoo artists etc. Not all use traditional mediums but I assure you that most of their methods are fairly similar. There are also schools like the Russian academy in Florence, Italy that specialize in teaching students some of the the key art fundamentals (very traditional heavy). I'm sure the art community in France is fairly grand as well...it could vary from country to country.

traditional painters way back were considered more like "photographers" of their time (what with those royal/noble portraits). Masterful artists were few and far between and I'm sure at the time it was also an all male dominated career. There are more painters now if you include females.

aaaanyways

I suppose with the rise of digital entertainment (game systems, television, etc) there has been a decline in people that read for joy.
I do have two friends who write for a living and several that read for entertainment. Hell, one of my friends has three large book cases overflowing with novels, comics and other material that she has collected over the years. My sister is a huge bookworm as well (worked at the library for a couple of months too). I think it really depends on who you know.
Also keep in mind that several years ago, books were one of the few things that people had to entertain themselves with (in comparison to what we have now) and not everyone was literate...

ANNNNDDD as far as work and fact checking goes, I actually enjoy reading informative articles... from this website in particular: http://howstuffworks.com
owned by the discovery channel I think- or with a sister company of the discovery channel
they cover history, random facts (ninja, vikings, zombies, rum running, skin conditions, mkultra/mind control etc), feminism, and other such interesting topics. I find it really helps reading or even listening to their podcasts while in search for inspiration. We all get writer's block every now and again.

----
edit- there are also book clubs online just waiting to be explored. The internet is a fine piece of work :)

Reading is something I don't find myself falling for. But when I do, I'll sit with the book and read it whenever I can. However, this happens less often than I'd like, and the last time this has happened was with the Twilight series. Then again, when I read it, I was in my last year of high school, and after I had gotten out, I never bothered going to a library.

Now in my current situation, I'm working a lot of hours in a place where the only allowed reading material are SLP Notes (Its a naval run school with confidential material, if that clarifies why).

When I get out to the fleet, I do intend on getting Kindle 3. More or less, because books take up too much space in a small bunk bed storage, and its pretty easy to browse, and find timeless classics to download for free, or to buy newer books at a cheaper price.

Though, I will say $10 is not a value of money that I would drop on a dime. Unless I was familiar with the product and enjoyed it enough to buy it.

Back
Top Bottom