Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Demon Heart (work in Progress)

Riona

Moon
Feel free to comment or PM me with your comments. I take criticism rather well and look at it as an opportunity to grow. So feel free and I hope you enjoy. This has been a work in progress for the past two years and once done I plan on editing and revising and maybe even seeing about getting it published. I will post a little each day since right now it is quite long. So without further ado here it is

DEMON HEART

The sound of hoof beats thundered across the lands. The column moved with the precision of seasoned warriors. Behind them, as if following on their heels, were billowing black clouds. Those who saw them coming as they traveled to their destination quickly sought shelter from the coming darkness. The pennants whipped in the wind, heralding who the warriors followed. Those who saw them quickly hid in terror. Each pennant was made up of blood red cloth with a sword and shield emblazed upon them. They symbolized death and destruction to their enemies. The encroaching storm was not just in the heavens, but on the earth with these warriors. Soon all hell would break loose and it would be lead by a warlord with one hell of a reputation. The riders reached the ridge and paused…shoulder to shoulder on horseback, and in one solitary line on the horizon- blending into the dark clouds behind them. They stood motionless for what seemed an eternity.

A section of the line parted and a lone rider stepped forth. His horse was a dark black steed. Those who saw him in battle said he rode a steed from hell, swearing the horse breathed fire. The steed was something to behold but the rider was something that was made of nightmares. People believed he was the devil himself come to wreack havoc. An impressive figure, he sat tall and calm in his saddle, an aura of malevolence swirling around him. The rider and animal seemed to be one. Steely grey eyes peered out of the visor, surveying the land before him and fixated on the keep before him. The keep was strategically placed upon a cliff overlooking the sea. Scanning for life and finding none, he made his move.

He raised a gauntleted hand and another rider approached him. He was shorter in stature than the Demon Lords and rode a tan roan.

“Your orders, my lord?” he questioned.

“Let them know we are here and our demands, Jared.”

Even his voice, deep in timbre, seemed to reek evil.

“Yes my lord.” Jared replied.

He grabbed the reigns of his mount and rode toward the keep at a canter. At the halfway point between the Demon’s Lord army and the keep he stopped. Blue eyes searched for sign of life on battlements but there is nothing --no movement. He lifts the visor of his helmet up and spoke.

“ Lord Kenny!” he bellows.

“The Demon Lord is upon your doorstep. By order of the King, you are to relinquish your keep and all property contained within or associated with, to he who waits beyond your gates.”

No answer, not that Jared expected one. The Lord within was known not only for his brutality but for his cowardice.

“If you do not open your gates and surrender to the Demon Lord, he will have no choice but to unleash his vast army upon you and yours.”

His only answer was the winds that blew gently but suddenly seem to fill with rage. Jared turned and headed back to the ranks. Upon reaching the Demon Lord, he went to speak but was halted when his lord’s hand came up. Turning his mount around, he looked to the keep.

The castle doors slowly opened then stopped. It was wide enough that a rider was slowly able to exit. Too small to be a knight by his looks, the horse he rode was bigger than he was, the young man’s feet not even reaching the stirrups. Jared looked at the Demon Lord. He could see anger and rage, a devastating storm mixing and churning in those steely eyes.

“What is this!” he evil voice declared.

“Lord Kenny sends a mere boy to a man’s job?”

The rider sat ramrod straight before replying.

“Lord Kenny does not believe you are worth his time. This keep is Lord Kenny’s and nothing anyone can say or do can change that.”

A new sound carried on the wind. At first Jared thought the Demon Lord was coughing, but as the noise grew louder confusion settled in. The great Demon Lord was laughing.

“You are still a mere boy. You are not even a quarter of my size.” he growled. “The bellowing wind could easy blow you down.”

“I can fight as well as you!” the boy hissed.

“You wish to fight me?“ the Demon Lord responded, clearly amused.

His reaction seemed to anger the rider more.

“Aye!” the boy yelled. “If I win you and your men must be off.”

“Try not to hurt him. You were that young and foolish once.”

“Don’t remind me, Jared.”

The Demon Lord pushed his horse closer, stopping halfway before the boy.

“So be it. When you are ready.”

After what seemed an eternity the two riders kicked their horses, heading for each other. Dirt, grass and rocks flew in their wake. Grey eyes stayed upon the rider before him. That’s when he saw it,---an opening. He smiled, something the Demon Lord did not often do. He would not hurt the boy, but the child would surely remember his place.

As he got closer he grabbed his sword, quickly spinning it so the blade faced behind him and the hilt faced the oncoming rider. Seizing the opportunity, the Demon Lord pushed the hilt of the sword into the boy. The sheer force knocked the child off his mount. Slowing his horse down, he spun to make sure the lad was okay. The boy was not moving. He moved slowly toward him and noted the boy’s helmet was off. The Demon Lord knew no fear before, now it clenched his heart. He bellowed for Jared as he jumped off his beast of a horse.

Something wasn’t right, Jared thought. The boy didn’t get hit that hard. He wasn’t moving though. When his lord yelled Jared spurred his horse forward. As he approached he watched the Lord pick up the boy’s body. Holding the lifeless one in his arms, he turned to Jared. He halted his horse so fast he was dismounted involuntarily.

It was no boy. It was a girl.

A scream reached their ears and both men spun toward the keep. An elderly woman came running out toward them.

“Ye brutes, what have ye done! She’s but a child, a mere lass.”

The Demon Lord wasted no time, heading toward the keep with the woman in his arms. As he approached the woman he spoke, his voice angry and full of venom.

“Tell me where to lay the lass down and we will help her.”

The old woman looked at him with angry eyes. After a while she showed him into the keep, heading beyond the great wooden doors. Jared signaled for the rest of the men to follow them into the keep before heading after his lord.

He followed the old woman up the stairs and to the right. There was little light in the part of the keep. She stopped and grabbed a torch off the wall and headed further into the darkness. The Demon Lord’s eyes took everything in. This part of the keep was in bad need of repairs. The woman stopped in front of a small door way, signaling him to follow. He had to stoop down to enter the room. It was small. There was no light, no window, nothing but an old straw mattress on the floor. Anger seized his heart.

“What is the meaning of this!” he growled.

The old woman turned to face him.

“This is the lass’ room.” she replied calmly.

Those grey eyes flashed pure hatred and the storm that had been following him seemed to echo his feelings with an earth shuddering boom of thunder.

“You will take me to the Lord’s chambers. Now.”

The old woman nodded and headed out the room. She led him passed the stairs and into another wing of the keep. Where the other had been dark and in need of repair, this one was light and was well kept. Tapestries lined the walls to keep out drafts, candles placed along the wall kept it well lit. The old woman opened a door and he followed. The lord’s chamber, compared to the cell, was immense and filled with luxuries. The bed was a four poster one, covered in rich silks. A warm fire crackled in the hearth, above which hung a portrait of Lord Kenny. He placed her gently on the bed before turning to the old woman.

“Who is she?” he snarled.

The door opened and more women came in, carrying water and healing balms and herbs. The old woman looked at him.

“She is Leahannon, daughter of Lord Kenny. And the gods help ye, you brute, if she dies. Now leave and let us work.”

Next thing he knew he was on the other side of a closed door. Never had the happened to him. No one closed a door on him or ordered him around.. His anger was reaching a dangerous pinnacle- like a volcano waiting to explode. He headed to find Jared.

Thank you Eclair. I have a lot more to post. Didn't want to post it all at once. A lot to read and all. Figured in increments is better.

The light is blinding. Is this heaven? Her eyes opened, staring unbelievingly.

No, not here, not here, her mind screamed. Sitting up to quickly the room began to spin. She lay back down, focusing on the tapestry above the bed. Slowly, as the aching pain traveled the length of her small frame, it all came back to her. The Demon Lord, his minions werepoised to destroy her home. She would not let that happen. She would kill him first.

“Stupid,” she hissed to the empty room.

She sat up slowly this time, surveying the room. Anger filled her heart. Leahannon swung her legs over the edge of the bed. She pursed her lips and stared at the ornate room. He slept in comfort while I suffered. He had heat while I froze. Standing up she spotted a clean gown, dress and shoes on the chair near the fireplace. On a nearby table was a tray of food and a pitcher of water. Leahannon dressed quickly and examines herself in a full length mirror. The end results of the battle with the Demon Lord were evident. Angry bruises stared back at her, laughing at her. There was also the scars from her last punishment at her father’s heavy hands. She scowled and dressed quickly. She also noticed her hair had been washed and braided. A smile crept across her face.

“Agnes.” she said wistfully.

Leahannon sat down to eat some sweet meat and bread and drank some water. She knew the Demon Lord was still here. She stood and paced like a caged animal.

“I will cower before no man anymore. I will face him and win. No man will rule me!” she snarled.

It was then she spied the sword by the door. She smiled and went over and took it. In a sweep of her muslin skirts, Leahannon put the sword behind her back and headed to go slay the demon.

At the landing, just above the grand staircase, she stopped. The sight that met her eyes made her drop the sword to the floor and reconsider her plan. Below her, her people worked hand in hand with the Demon Lord’s minions and they seemed happy.

She couldn’t believe her eyes. The keep was being cleaned. Anything that had belonged to her father or carried his likeness was carted out. Leahannon held her breath when she saw the children. There were children in the keep. Never before had there been children in the keep. Why were there now? They were running and laughing. The sound was like music to her ears. Light reached in with long fingers, warming the keep and chased the dark from every hiding spot.

A dream, she thought, this must all be a dream. I hope I don’t wake. Is this possible?

She saw him then. It was hard to miss someone so huge. He was a giant among mortals. Next to him, shorter than him, was a golden angel. The two were as different as night and day, dark and light.

The angel’s eyes caught hers. Leahannon was nervous but then the Demon Lord turned his dark eyes to her and Leahannon found herself stuck to the spot where she stood, as if held by some invisible force. It felt as is his eyes were peering into her very soul.

Aidan and Jared were walking through the keep, making note of what needed to be repaired, replaced or trashed.

“I still can not believe that Lord Kenny let this place go as he did.” Jared said.

He looked sideways at Aidan. He could tell the Demon Lord was angrier than normal. He was about to say something when he saw her- on the top of the stairs. Jared stopped.

“He deserves to be treated in the same manner as his people, before he is killed slowly and painfully.” Aidan replied.

He suddenly realized that Jared had stopped. He glared at his second in command and then saw at whom Jared was staring. The girl was standing on the landing, staring at them. No she wasn’t a girl, he thought, though her size made him wonder. His eyes drank in her form and he heard music. It had been said by many a wandering minstrel that the world melted away leaving only two people when one saw a beautiful woman. Aidan felt that way briefly before a heavy iron curtain swallowed his feelings.

“Amazing.” Jared whispered.

Aidan glared at him before moving to the stairs, his eyes fixed on the woman on the landing.

Leahannon watched the Demon Lord as he moved. It reminded her of an animal-- powerful, lethal. She could see the muscles of his legs move under the material of his trews. His clothing echoed his power, his darkness. A black shirt, opened slightly, revealing part of a chest she knew was muscled. His boots were black and made little sound as he moved. The Demon Lord’s hair was past his shoulders and fell like a dark curtain down his back.

Yet it was his eyes that demanded her attention. Dark as midnight, they drew her in, to hold- her very soul to him. They commanded her without words and Leahannon soon realized her feet were moving down the stairs. Her mind screamed for her to get the sword yet she couldn’t stop herself. She felt like a lamb being lead to the slaughter. She managed to stop on the bottom stair. The Demon Lord was still taller than her even there.

His eyes, she thought. Close up she felt under their very control. But the Demon Lord had yet to unveil his greatest and most powerful weapon.

Aidan watched the woman descend and when she stopped on the bottom step, he smiled at her. He knew he had won another round with her by her reaction. Her green eyes, widened slightly.

Aidan held out his hand to her and watched as she placed her own hand in his. He marveled for a moment at the difference. Her hand was so small in his, almost childlike and fragile. Yet her skin was not smooth as most ladies: her hands were rough as if they knew work.

“I am glad to see you were not seriously injured during yesterday’s activities.”

He saw the confusion cross her face.

“Yesterday?” she whispered. Her voice soothed Aidan’s raw nerves.

“Aye. You have been out since your fall. Many were worried, but Agnes said you would pull through. Though t’was a foolish, foolish game to play. You are lucky I wasn’t truly out to hurt you.”

He watched as the confusion in her eyes was replaced by something else and he smiled.

In a snap, she was out from under his thrall and she yanked her hand from his.

“Foolish!” she hissed.

He smiled at her more and this increased her anger. Aidan found this to be a pleasurable experience. He was accustomed to women who backed down, who cowered to him. Yet the one before him did the opposite.

“Aye, foolish.” he responded.

“What would you have done? Stand idle by as the legions of hell are set to march upon your home, ready to destroy all you hold dear? I would die to protect my people, and I know you would, too.”

Aidan felt an odd stirring he never had before. He looked her up and down. She was small for a female. Her body was perfect though. She had nice hips for cradling a man and breasts that were full. He noticed her hands were balled at her sides. He also saw the fire in her eyes and wondered if that same fire would be there as he took her hard in his bed.

“Aye, I would have done the same.,” he responded huskily.

“I am no mere slip of a lass.”

He watched as the fire in her eyes flamed more. Yes, he thought, there would be fire in her eyes for him as he possessed her body.

“Let us not talk of it anymore. Come lass, walk with me. There is much I would like to discuss with you.”

Leahannon was perplexed. What did he wish to talk to her about? Men did not speak to women about anything other than how to run the keep. She was curious about this discussion but nervous about being with him. He was a trap to women and she was determined not to become his next prey.

“I will go with you. But only if your friend comes too.”

She watched anger flare in his eyes and vanish suddenly. The Demon Lord was master of his emotions and Leahannon saw that clear as day. He smiled at her again.

“Afraid?” he asked.

He watched as the fire flared again.

“Aye, afraid of what I would do to you give the chance.”

The Demon Lord laughed, surprising Leahannon. She noted the other man also seemed taken aback.

“Jared, you will accompany us, to protect me from the lady.”

Jared tried not to laugh, but his eyes showed amusement

“Of course, my Lord. The Demon Lord surely needs protection from a mere lass.”

Aidan glared at Jared before heading to the door. Jared tuned toward Leahannon, bowing.

“After you my lady.”

Back
Top Bottom