Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Rising Sun Academy-First Choice

What should Toro do?

• Stop Okami from fighting Nero.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Watch Nero and Okami fight.

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Shove Okami out of the way and fight Nero himself.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

True Grave

Warrior
Note: Partial credit for the setting and characters also goes to BMR member Seduced By Moonlight.

Toro Saejima approached the front entrance of the esteemed Rising Sun Academy. This mixed martial arts academy located in The Village of the Rising Sun within the country of Matsushita, was ranked number one in the entire world. Martial clans from all over the world sent their best and brightest here to become world champions. In such a competitive environment, only the absolute best rose to the very top. Toro hoped to count himself amongst them. Ever since he was a young boy, he had dreamed of standing on the world stage as part of Team Rising Sun, the unequaled world champions of fighting.

Toro was the greatest warrior of the Saejima Clan, a third-tier clan ranked far below the glorious Kugashira and Wang Clans that ruled the Rising Sun Village. Despite his comparatively lacking pedigree, he had an equal chance of making the team. At Rising Sun Academy, ability was the only thing that mattered. If he could prove to the great powers that he was a skilled enough warrior, he would be allowed to stand on that world stage of his dreams. Before he could do that, however, he would first have to pass the entrance exam to be accepted into Rising Sun Academy. With the prestigious school having such a celebrated team, only the truly skilled were even given a chance to try out for it.

When Toro reached the door, he was greeted by an older man who resembled a butler. The well-coifed grey hair, golden spectacles, and expensively tailored suit showed that whoever this man was, he traveled in wealthy circles. Upon seeing Toro, he bowed respectfully before him.

"Greetings, Master Saejima. My name is Watanabe. I will be conducting your orientation today."

Toro felt self-conscious. He had never seen an elder bow so low before him and wasn't sure at first how to handle it. Respectfully bowing back, he straightened first out of sheer awkwardness.

"So, are you, like, the principal here?"

Watanabe straightened and chuckled in amusement.

"I am a simple administrator, not the Director, Master Saejima."

"Okay, so you said something about orientation, right? What's that involve?"

"You'll get a tour of the Rising Sun Academy and Temple. After that, I'll conduct your entrance exam."

"What does the entrance exam consist of?"

"Let us embark on the tour first, Master Saejima, and discuss the exam afterwards."

Toro shrugged.

"Alright."

"Splendid! Come along, Master Saejima."

The young man, feeling woefully underdressed in his simple T-shirt and jeans, followed after Watanabe as they proceeded into the building. What he saw at first looked very similar to a normal high school.

As they continued walking, however, something caught his eye. Within the classrooms, there were no desks or chairs. There were only mats or tatami flooring in each room. It was as if the academy was made up of several small dojos.

"I've never seen classrooms like those."

"Our curriculum is based entirely on physicality, so there is no need for students to sit down while they are actively learning."

"Why is there no library in this building?"

"The written works of those affiliated with Rising Sun are kept in a special sealed library within the Temple. Books unrelated to our function have no place here and can be rented from the Rising Sun public library within the village."

"Can anyone read the written works of Rising Sun Academy?"

"With the permission of the Director, anyone may enter the Temple library and read its works. However, the request must be done in writing and approval comes with many rules that must be strictly adhered to."

"Are the books and scrolls there, like, clan secrets or something?"

Watanabe nodded approvingly.

"Indeed. The Temple library contains one of a kind technique scrolls that were generously donated by the patriarchs of certain clans. Among other things, the Temple library also contains the written memoirs of legendary warriors like Iji Kugashira and Lu Zhang Wang. It is truly a treasure trove of great knowledge that Matsushita rightly considers part of its national heritage."

"Wait, the actual government of Matsushita knows about this academy's library?"

"It not only knows about it, but has actively put financial backing and governmental protection behind it. To harm this library is to make an enemy out of the entire nation."

"Who would do something like that?"

"Enemy nations, Master Saejima."

The two exited the back of the Rising Sun Academy building and began heading for the stairs leading to the Temple. That's when Toro stopped walking and got an idea.

"Watanabe, I've heard stories of the school's two top fighters. Would it be possible for me to meet them?"

The older man stopped to consider this question.

"It is possible, but I have to wonder why you would ask for this all of a sudden."

"I've admired Team Rising Sun my entire life. I've never seen a tournament, as my village was too impoverished to afford television or travel. But I heard the stories of their legendary feats and knew that I wanted to be a part of that. I poured my all into my training and earned my chance to prove myself, though without the generosity of the Director, I wouldn't be standing here today. I want to meet these great warriors and let them know what they mean to me. That alone is a dream of mine."

Watanabe was quiet for a long moment before nodding.

"Well, your reasons are certainly more noble than most people that ask to meet Team Rising Sun. I will take you to see them."

Toro beamed with pure joy.

"Thank you, Watanabe," he said with a grateful bow.

"Come along, Master Saejima."

---

Within the Great Room of the Temple, Watanabe easily spotted his quarry.

"That's him. Nero Kugashira, the current heir to the Kugashira Clan and one of Team Rising Sun's greatest warriors."

Toro looked less than impressed with the average, unassuming appearance of this 'great warrior'.

"He looks like an ordinary high school student."

"Indeed, but he is far from ordinary, I assure you."

Toro was about to call off meeting him until he noticed a long, canvas bag secured to Nero's back.

"What is that on his back?"

"A family heirloom. If you're fortunate, you'll get to see it."

Watanabe was just about to move in for the introduction when someone else beat him to it. That someone else was a brand new student at Rising Sun named Okami Sujiyama.

"Ah, interesting. The applicant that I just accepted before you arrived is already trying to start a fight with one of the school's best."

Okami was taller and much more muscular than Nero, as well as much more intimidating in his aura. He wore a simple brown vest and blue jeans, no doubt to show off his physique. Reputation aside, Toro wasn't sure about the smaller man's chances here.

"Can Nero really beat this guy?"

Watanabe narrowed his eyes into a steely gaze.

"Watch closely, Master Saejima. Tell me after this battle if Master Kugashira still seems ordinary to you."

Last edited:
Toro shrugged at Watanabe's statement.

"Alright, I'm watching. Still think your boy's about to take an L, though."

He had heard the legends about 'Godkiller Nero', the invincible Captain of Team Rising Sun. But the figure in the stories didn't match the unassuming white-haired boy in front of him. Watanabe seemed to have a lot of faith in Nero, so Toro would just have to see.

---

Nero stared right through Okami as the sizing up began. There was nothing to see here that interested him.

"Unworthy," he said without a trace of emotion.

Okami frowned.

"Say that after you've beaten me."

He assumed a fighting stance that was rooted in Kickboxing.

---

Toro and Watanabe continued to watch. A few moments later, the older man let out a surprised noise.

"What's up with you?"

"Master Kugashira did not draw his weapon. That means that he considers Okami unworthy of his time."

"What an arrogant asshole!" Toro exclaimed.

---

Okami threw a hard right hook directly at Nero's jaw. However, the punch seemed to pass right through him as if he were made out of air.

"Huh!?"

The larger man threw several more punches and kicks, but none connected. All the while, Nero seemed to be staring into his very soul. Fear and confusion began creeping into Okami, causing him to throw strikes in a wild and desperate volume.

---

Toro's jaw almost hit the floor. How was Okami completely unable to even touch Nero?

"Impressive. Master Kugashira has seen right through Master Sujiyama's entire strategy. This fight is already over."

Toro was too stunned to say anything.

---

Okami threw punches until he was doubled over and gasping for air. How could this guy be so fast? He looked like he hadn't moved at all! The man they called 'Godkiller' simply stared at him with those damn dismissive eyes. The larger man jumped back a few paces.

"You may be as good as they say, but I'm just getting started!"

The large man began channeling spiritual power into his hands. They glowed with a blue energy outline as he focused completely on gathering his energy. The energy grew in intensity until it was shining brightly. At that stage, Okami thrust his hands forward. What looked like a giant wolf's head within his energy appeared and a howl could be heard. The wolf opened its mouth and a stream of ice headed straight for Nero.

---

Toro was fascinated by what he saw.

"Whoa! What's that attack?"

"The Howling Wolf Fist. It both physically and psychologically attacks the opponent at the same time. When successful, it can even freeze an opponent solid."

---

Okami continued to press the attack, but it seemed to be having no effect on Nero. Those eyes continued to stare right through him. Stopping the attack, he clenched his fists after seeing no freezing or injury on his opponent.

"If it's come to this, then so be it. I'm not holding back anymore!"

He jumped back and let out a scream that sounded mixed with a howl.

Nero watched passively as Okami got even taller and started to grow thick black hair all over his body. Once fully transformed into a werewolf, he spoke in a horrifyingly low voice.

"This is where you die!"

Rushing forward at inhuman speed, he began attacking so quickly that it was invisible. The rush continued for minutes, Okami's transformation granting him monstrous stamina. However, ever so imperceptibly, he began to slow down.

---

Toro was almost beyond being surprised by anything at this point.

"I didn't see it coming that Okami could become a werewolf. "

"It is a closely guarded secret of the Sujiyama Clan. Despite its rarity, I am impressed that Nero could see through it, as well."

Toro said nothing. It was beyond clear that he had underestimated the seemingly ordinary young man.

---

Okami was soon doubled over in his werewolf form. He was absolutely flabbergasted. How could anyone dodge these attacks!?

"Dammit!!!"

With a roaring howl of frustration, he unleashed his greatest technique. Spiritual blue wolves leaped from his body in packs and swarmed Nero.

At the same time as this attack, Okami redoubled his rush assault. A blue tornado of fangs and claws completely surrounded and removed them both from view. A few minutes later, however, the assault weakened and the tornado disappeared. Okami dropped to one knee in his normal form. Through all of the assault, Nero had not been touched a single time. His eyes continued to stare holes through Okami.

The larger man was filled with terror. How could the greatest techniques of the Sujiyama Clan have failed? Was this man truly a Godkiller like the legends said? Looking into his empty gaze, Okami felt helpless and weak. After getting on his hands and knees, he put his forehead to the floor before Nero.

"Please forgive my insolence!"

---

Toro was shocked all over again. Without even throwing a single strike, Nero had forced his much larger opponent to submit in pure terror. What kind of warrior could do something like that? Who was Nero Kugashira? Watanabe had been completely right about him being out of the ordinary. Toro smiled, pleased to have been proven wrong.

---

Nero reached down and grabbed Okami by the back of his vest before lifting him up and easily setting him on his feet again. The bigger man looked stunned. Nero had a warm look in his eyes and smiled.

"Worthy," he said happily.

After a moment passed and it sunk in, Okami smiled back and bowed respectfully.

"It will be an honor to face you again in the future, Godkiller Nero."

---

Watanabe watched as Okami respectfully left Nero's space after the conclusion of the battle.

"Interesting. Master Sujiyama will become one of the academy's top fighters if he keeps that humble attitude."

He turned to Toro.

"Did you still want to meet Master Kugashira, Master Saejima?"

The young man shook his head.

"No. I've learned all that I needed to. I want to meet him for the first time in battle."

Watanabe nodded.

"A respectable decision. Would you like to be introduced to Madam Wang?"

Toro gave the older man a puzzled look.

"'Madam' Wang? The school's other top fighter is a woman?"

"Yes, and quite a beautiful one at that."

"Hell yes I'd like to meet her!"

"Come along, Master Saejima."

Back
Top Bottom