Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Witch And The Naga [Lord Red and Tenagra]

Lord_Red

Star
The town of Hoodton is located in a somewhat isolated spot. Nestled in between mountains, it's difficult to reach by most, and sought out by few. The people that live there are a hardy stock, able to withstand the harsh weather that storms in from the north. They live simply, for the most part-Brunhilde being the biggest exception.

The woman in question doesn't live in Hoodton itself-rather, a small distance away, higher up the peak. Her appearance is that of a well-muscled woman, with bright red hair and one piercing green eye. The other is missing, with the socket concealed beneath an eyepatch. She's sometimes seen fully armored, other times in simple leathers, but no one can mistake her for a weakling. She has a soldier's air to her.

Brunhilde has, for quite some time, been a thorn in the side of the Winter Queen. The queen has, a few times, attempted to expand her demesne to include Hoodton, and each time, with Brunhilde at the fore, she has been rebuffed. To the Queen's daughter, that's a clear sign that she's a worthy ally to try and gain against her mother; or at least, someone who could help.

For Connie, the clockwork naga, Brunhilde was a known trading partner, recipient of some of her father's inventions, and a nice lady. That last bit is more due to Connie's active and friendly imagination than any real indications of gentleness and kindness from Brunhilde, but it's an impression she has all the same.

At this time, Connie has just arrived at Hoodton. The maps she's been using are more than a little out of date, and have been giving her trouble.

Irrisen Aldori emerged from the tree line near Hoodton with twigs and leaves in her hair. She had fled her home in Delba, fled the wrath of her mother, the Winter Queen Ilyessia. The young witch considered it good fortune that she stumbled upon the remote town.

Irrisen approached the town’s stockade and took note of the steely gaze of the gate guard. There was a small wagon making its way in, but one thing did catch her eye. She saw what appeared to be a woman with the lower body of a snake, and even more strange was her skin that sheened like metal.

The witch approached the curiosity and recognized some uncanny movement from it. It appeared human enough, but something about the creature was off putting. She was peering at a piece of parchment, a map perhaps, based on the quick glances around her surroundings that interrupted her focus every few seconds. Irrisen spoke up.”Have you just arrived as well? Maybe you can help me?”

Connie turns to face the newly-arrived traveler. She gives a friendly wave, matching the innocent smile on her face. "Hello! Yes, I just got here," she replies. Slithering over, she folds the map and puts it away into her pack. The guard at the gate, done appraising Irrisen, turns back to face Connie. A runaway does not appear to be the same threat as some strange metallic naga.

"Hi!" Connie says as she stops in front of Irrisen. "I'm Connie-Connie Hurtzfield," she adds, holding her hand out to shake. "What's your name?"

Irrisen’s eyes narrowed as the naga approached her. The thing’s movements were graceful, almost real. Not quite enough for her comfort though. The creature greeted the witch, her demeanor friendly and positive.

“I am Irrisen Aldori,” she replied. “What is this place anyway?” Irrisen did not reciprocate the gesture to shake hands, eyeing the strange custom uncomfortably.

Keeping her hand extended, Connie says "Hoodton, at least according to my map. I was looking for Brunhilde's house-she knows my dad and a little bit about me." The guard listening seems almost relieved to hear that the naga is looking for Brunhilde, and starts to approach.

After a few more moments pass without any shaking going on, Connie sheepishly lets her hand drop. "It's nice to meet you, Miss Aldori. What are you doing here?"

"If you're looking for Brunhilde," the guard says as he reaches the two women, "she's up the mountain, to the east. Can't miss her home."

Irrisen considered if she had heard of Hoodton before. The name was not familiar to her, so it must be outside of her mother's kingdom. That was a good start for her journey, she thought, for she was certain that her mother was scrying all throughout her demesne in search of her missing daughter. The naga quit her gesturing.

The guard's approach set Irrisen on edge, as she bared her teeth and nearly jumped when she heard him speak aloud. The witch glanced warily between the helmeted face of the guard and the naga for a moment before standing up straight again and answering the question she was asked. "I am traveling. May I ask why you are looking for this Brunhilde?" Irrisen was quick to ask another question, to distract the from the plain response she had given. She decided that half truths would suffice for now, for she did not know who might be an enemy. It was obvious from her manner of speaking that Irrisen was someone of high birth, although it was unclear whether the sheltered upbringing of the mechanical naga would have provided her with the experience to know the difference.

"Oh! Well, uh," Connie says, "like I said, she knows my dad. And my dad..." her normally chipper voice is infected with some sadness. "He's gone missing. So I'm hoping Brunhilde will have some information on where he might be."

She takes a momentary breath, and a smile comes back to her face. "I'm sure she can help! And I doubt she'd mind having another friend around-let's go meet her!"

Connie slithers east for Brunhilde's home.

“Oh, I’m sorry.” Irrisen’s voice softened. She had never had anything bad happen to a family member before, did not know grief first hand, so her sympathetic tone may not have sounded as genuine as she hoped.

“May I ask more about your father?” The witch thought maybe talking about him may help her new friend offload some of her feelings. Her own father, the Prince Consort, had always been the wonderful opposite of his wife, warm and loving, and trying to encourage his children to live their own lives, rather than just the one the queen had intended for them.

Irrisen followed the naga as she travelled out into the meadow, and followed the palisade before heading up a steep path, quickly gaining elevation. Already footsore, the trek up the mountain was difficult for Irrisen, and she began to lag behind Connie.

"He's the best dad you could ever ask for!" she replies. "He built me, taught me tons about mechanics and magic and... Well, mostly those two, come to think of it. But he's always nice, always willing to talk, always supportive of me. I remember the first time I was really able to help him. Intra-arcanic matrices, you know them, right?" Connie asks, before going on without waiting for an answer. "Well, he was a little stuck on one of them-he's a great head for math, but I'm actually better at that than he is!-so I was able to figure out the proper way to route the aether before the whole thing collapsed."

As the two walk, the climb grows steeper while Connie regales Irrisen with tales of her dad's inventions and kindness. At some point, though, she realizes that her friend is falling behind. "Want me to carry you?" she asks. "You don't look too heavy."

Irrisen had no idea what Connie was speaking about, for techno sorcery was outside the scope of her knowledge. She muttered something affirmative to queue her friend to continue speaking. The witch's muscles ached, she had not slept well in over a week, and had barely eaten anything. Irrisen felt herself become to grow faint, as she huffed along up the trail. Connie offered to carry her, which prompted Irrisen to give her a strange look, but after a moment she gave a hesitant nod. She leaned forward with her hands on her knees to try to catch her breath, but almost immediately she collapsed to the ground. She would offer no resistance to Connie's efforts to carry her the rest of the way up the mountain.

Connie is there to hold her up, catching Irrisen before she hits the ground. "Hey, hey! Come on, we'll get you there."

She rushes the rest of the way, worrying now about her friend. And, before long, the two arrive at a large home. It's a simple construction of thick wooden walls, in plain colors. There's an axe next to a pile of logs to the left of the house. Connie, adjusting her grip on Irrisen so that she has one hand mostly free, knocks on the door.

It takes a few moments before there's an answer. The door opens, revealing a woman of average height. This, however, is about the only average thing you could say about her-she's missing an eye, has flowing red hair, is built with strong muscles, has two weapons visible at her hips, and has a scowl a mile long. "The hell do you... What are you even doing here?" she asks.

"Miss Brunhilde!" Connie replies. "I'm sorry to drop in unannounced, but Irrisen here could really use something proper to rest on."

Brunhilde looks at the witch. "You want me to take in the spawn of the Winter Queen?"

Back
Top Bottom