Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Can people I ignore see my posts?

privateaccount84

Super-Earth
I know when I ignore someone I can no longer see their posts in places like the request threads, but can they still see mine? What about the shout box?

Thank you for your time.

Ignoring only works one way. Unless they ignore you, they'll be able to see what you post. Including in the status updates (assuming that's what you meant by shout box).

I know when I ignore someone I can no longer see their posts in places like the request threads, but can they still see mine? What about the shout box?

Thank you for your time.
They will be able to view your posts, but any interaction they try to send to you won't get through to you. As for the chat, you have the option to show or hide chat messages from ignored members. The chat settings (cog/gears in the top right corner of the chat box) will be where you can toggle this on and off; if you want them to show, click the checkbox by "show messages from ignored users"; if you don't, leave it unchecked.

They will be able to view your posts, but any interaction they try to send to you won't get through to you. As for the chat, you have the option to show or hide chat messages from ignored members. The chat settings (cog/gears in the top right corner of the chat box) will be where you can toggle this on and off; if you want them to show, click the checkbox by "show messages from ignored users"; if you don't, leave it unchecked.

Is the thinking that the ignored person won't know they are ignored and so won't actively work to get around it?

Is the thinking that the ignored person won't know they are ignored and so won't actively work to get around it?
It's just the way the ignore function works on BMR. If someone actively works to get around an ignore (i.e. sending messages through other members, creating alts to contact someone that ignored them, etc.) that is reportable, and staff takes issues of this kind of harassment very seriously.

Let's say you block me because whatever reason. If I try to send you a private message, I should see the conversation as normal, but where the "members" of the people included in the conversation are listed, your name would be greyed out, struck through, or both (can't remember). Anyway, you can tell that someone is blocking or ignoring you that way. At that point, if I try to contact you anyway, it's essentially harassment. You blocked me for a reason (or not), doesn't matter. You don't want to speak to me, and that's your right and privilege.

If you remove the block and get another nasty message, depending on the content, it may or may not be reportable, but many times, mods have asked me for screenshots, and to obviously block the aggressor.

I would like to encourage anyone on BMR who sees this to report any message they get that doesn't sit well with them; if someone calls you names, messages you after you said you don't want to hear from them again, constantly pushes your limits, or any other form of disrespect, always feel free to report or message any member of staff privately if you don't feel comfortable reporting it to all of us.

Worst that can happen is we decide behind the scenes that nothing needs done and advise the reporter to block the person, but chances are, if someone's an asshole to you, they're probably being assholes to other people, and that's not the kind of conduct we want on BMR.

I would like to encourage anyone on BMR who sees this to report any message they get that doesn't sit well with them; if someone calls you names, messages you after you said you don't want to hear from them again, constantly pushes your limits, or any other form of disrespect, always feel free to report or message any member of staff privately if you don't feel comfortable reporting it to all of us.

Worst that can happen is we decide behind the scenes that nothing needs done and advise the reporter to block the person, but chances are, if someone's an asshole to you, they're probably being assholes to other people, and that's not the kind of conduct we want on BMR.

I did not know I could report someone for calling me a name. That's crazy. There'd be a lot of banned people.

I did not know I could report someone for calling me a name. That's crazy. There'd be a lot of banned people.
Devolving into namecalling and personal insults can sometimes border on harassment. If someone out-of-the-blue flies off the handle at you and says some vile shit, yeah that's absolutely reportable. We're all adults here and should act like it.

Especially since it could point to a pattern of making people uncomfortable and we don't welcome that here.

Devolving into namecalling and personal insults can sometimes border on harassment. If someone out-of-the-blue flies off the handle at you and says some vile shit, yeah that's absolutely reportable. We're all adults here and should act like it.

Especially since it could point to a pattern of making people uncomfortable and we don't welcome that here.
Good to know! I'll try to be on my best behavior too.

I do wanna take a sec to back up solo here.

I will always urge people to report things like personal attacks and hostility from users in private. While you may get the suggestion to block and move on, at the same time - ultimately if we have multiple reports of a user flying off the handle due to being dejected from RP or some such, then we know there's a problem going on and can act accordingly.

I honestly wish if you ignored someone you would vanish for them to because you ignore them for a reason and I just believe you shouldn’t have to deal with them anymore once you put them on the ignore list but I guess that’s way too much to ask for.

Reporting doesn’t really work as well as people think but at least it’s there I can’t really talk too much about it but I’m just gonna say ignoring is the best way because at least you know they won’t be able to come near you unless they go around the Riverbend so to speak.

We have options but in my case ignoring them and pretending they fell off flat earth is the best thing to do especially when they devolve into name-calling and other things.

Reporting doesn’t really work as well as people think
It very much does. Staff takes every instance of reported harassment seriously and it often ends in consequences for the harassing party, even if those aren't seen publicly. We believe in handling things privately so as not to blast drama all over the site, but we do take each and every situation into serious consideration.

It very much does. Staff takes every instance of reported harassment seriously and it often ends in consequences for the harassing party, even if those aren't seen publicly. We believe in handling things privately so as not to blast drama all over the site, but we do take each and every situation into serious consideration.
I really hope so I can’t really speak on it here but all I can say is I hope you guys do your best. Me personally I just ignore because of reasons

I honestly wish if you ignored someone you would vanish for them to because you ignore them for a reason and I just believe you shouldn’t have to deal with them anymore once you put them on the ignore list but I guess that’s way too much to ask for.

Reporting doesn’t really work as well as people think but at least it’s there I can’t really talk too much about it but I’m just gonna say ignoring is the best way because at least you know they won’t be able to come near you unless they go around the Riverbend so to speak.

We have options but in my case ignoring them and pretending they fell off flat earth is the best thing to do especially when they devolve into name-calling and other things.
If you don't think a report was handled correctly, please message an admin so we can look into it and make sure it was handled accordingly.

If you don't think a report was handled correctly, please message an admin so we can look into it and make sure it was handled accordingly.
I think I’ll stick to ignoring people instead of putting myself through that again but thanks for the offer I appreciate it. I don’t think I can handle dealing with some thing again

2 Factor Ignoring is a tool that exists for sites like BMR. It's just not an option here.

I am not sure if it's an add on or if it needs extensive coding, but it seems helpful.
This would very much be another Vekseid thing, this is beyond staff's current ability. It's not something we've completely said no to (I'd personally also love for this to be a thing) but it'd take more know-how than any of us minus Veks have right now.

I was very surprised (and a little put off, ngl) when I discovered that when I ignore someone, they still have normal access to everything I post. I think it's important for the health of a site like this that people feel protected and safe, and one of the ways to do that is to ensure that a player can hide should they need/want to. If I have a personal issue with another player and I'm uncomfortable, best believe I want them struck from my experience here, and that includes their ability to see me.

Would it be possible to have a proper block feature like on Twitter? I block someone, and they can't see my posts, can't message me, or have any sort of interaction with me.

This would very much be another Vekseid thing, this is beyond staff's current ability. It's not something we've completely said no to (I'd personally also love for this to be a thing) but it'd take more know-how than any of us minus Veks have right now.
To quote Solo for any future questions about a full on block feature or two-way ignore, this is a feature that would have to be run by, and put into action by @Vekseid. Not the admins Admins nor Moderators have this sort of access to the site.

Definitely spare a thought for the admins and mods. Not that I'm looking to start this discussion but even beyond the technical aspects there are the practical aspects; if I block person X does that mean that X's alt's are also blocked? Blocking X from seeing my requests might be easy enough but how does it work for group threads\discussions? etc.

I was very surprised (and a little put off, ngl) when I discovered that when I ignore someone, they still have normal access to everything I post.
@littlelovelost
While it's not ideal – current mode makes you more secure, while could feel less secure. Guests can still see most of the forums and alt accounts can. So if ignore feature simply hidden items from specific authenticated user it would only create security theatre. Person behind said account can still have access to items.

Back
Top Bottom