Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What's The Weirdest Ice-Cream You've Had And Actually Loved It After The First Bite?

RockyRickabysimp28

Planetoid
The weirdest one so far for me is a Van Leeuwen ice cream flavor called Malted Shake & Fries. Like actual Idaho potatoes were used for this ice-cream and I finally tasted it weeks ago cause I was a bit apprehensive about the flavor but after I gave myself the first bite it instantly became one of my favorites. Like I actually got the feeling of fry crumbs on my tongue and it was amazing. I also discovered a couple of new frozen treats at Walmart where I got my Malted Shake & Fries ice-cream. I discovered Reese's covered frozen banana slices and Hershey's covered blueberries (the blueberries being my favorite even as I am a big Reese's fan). I also discovered Hershey's Cookies & Cream covered strawberries which I am definitely getting next time I'm at Walmart. So with that out of the way, What's your favorite weird flavored ice-cream?

Ended up at a small, hand-made ice cream shop in Otaru, Hokkaido, Japan. I think I ended up trying Potato, Squid Ink, and Sea Urchin. I'll note that I'm someone who enjoys sea urchin anyway, but in ice cream it was divinely delicious. The flavor balance was just perfect -- I'm not sure it would've been half as good as a flavor anywhere else. (the Potato and Squid Ink were also good, but not as stand-out amazing as the Sea Urchin!)

I've separately had seafood ice cream in the US -- lobster ice cream in Bar Harbor, Maine, US, but it was... not nearly as good.

Ended up at a small, hand-made ice cream shop in Otaru, Hokkaido, Japan. I think I ended up trying Potato, Squid Ink, and Sea Urchin. I'll note that I'm someone who enjoys sea urchin anyway, but in ice cream it was divinely delicious. The flavor balance was just perfect -- I'm not sure it would've been half as good as a flavor anywhere else. (the Potato and Squid Ink were also good, but not as stand-out amazing as the Sea Urchin!)

I've separately had seafood ice cream in the US -- lobster ice cream in Bar Harbor, Maine, US, but it was... not nearly as good.
I would honestly love to try Squid Ink myself. It'll be the closest thing to me trying out squid for the first time.

I would honestly love to try Squid Ink myself. It'll be the closest thing to me trying out squid for the first time.
Squid ink was good in that it offered a nice hint of brininess, but I don't think I would find it different from sea salt ice cream if I didn't have the color to cue me in. For what it's worth, it does not taste much like squid itself.

Squid ink pasta is usually reasonably straightforward to find if you're in a Western country -- you could try that if you want to understand the flavor.

Not really much to say about it but Lactose free Ice Cream is the weirdest I've had but it was amazing and all I prefer now.

Squid ink was good in that it offered a nice hint of brininess, but I don't think I would find it different from sea salt ice cream if I didn't have the color to cue me in. For what it's worth, it does not taste much like squid itself.

Squid ink pasta is usually reasonably straightforward to find if you're in a Western country -- you could try that if you want to understand the flavor.
Ooh! I will definitely try to find Squid Ink Pasta sometime in the future!

I love apple ice cream, but not the easiest to find. The weirdest one I ever had, isn't all that weird, was maple syrup poured on top with bacon bits mixed into the ice cream. Lots of real bacon bits. It was actually pretty decent, but not a go-to for me.

durian ice cream definitely hits harder than it has any right to. that being said, i already enjoyed durian before i tried the ice cream. i can't have it by itself, but just when it's blended into things like a cake.

I love apple ice cream, but not the easiest to find. The weirdest one I ever had, isn't all that weird, was maple syrup poured on top with bacon bits mixed into the ice cream. Lots of real bacon bits. It was actually pretty decent, but not a go-to for me.
Yeah I don’t think I could put bacon bits into my ice-cream. The maple syrup thing on the other hand is pretty cool. Hell I would replace the bacon bits with diced ham.

It was more like chopped bacon, not bits like on a salad. Full bacon strips cut up and in the ice cream. It was surprisingly tasty, but I'd only reach for it once and a while. It's a winter seasonal thing here.n

Back
Top Bottom