Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

How to get involved in the community?

Hey All, I'm new around these parts and not really sure what to do, or what's the best way to start engaging with people? Truth be told, I feel a little out of place? For those of you who've been here a while, what advice do you have for a beginner in terms of finding writing partners compatible with your own style, interests and methodology?

Hey All, I'm new around these parts and not really sure what to do, or what's the best way to start engaging with people? Truth be told, I feel a little out of place? For those of you who've been here a while, what advice do you have for a beginner in terms of finding writing partners compatible with your own style, interests and methodology?
My best advice is to just jump right in. Make a request thread so people know what you're looking for; that's the easiest way to get started writing while in your grey period. Once you're out of that, start messaging people based on their threads if you see something you like. Post in threads in General Discussion, join us in chat, etc. There really is no one-size-fits-all approach, but I've found that the more active you are, the more active the community will be with you.​

Hey Solo! Thank you kindly for the advice <3!!! Yeah, I've been reading through some of the request threads just to get an idea as to what I should be including, but some of them are so fancy and I have no idea how to make mine as pretty ๐Ÿฅบ! I'll give it a shot in the coming days though, and I appreciate the suggestions! Thank you!

Hey Solo! Thank you kindly for the advice <3!!! Yeah, I've been reading through some of the request threads just to get an idea as to what I should be including, but some of them are so fancy and I have no idea how to make mine as pretty ๐Ÿฅบ! I'll give it a shot in the coming days though, and I appreciate the suggestions! Thank you!
There are a bunch of templates you can build off of in this thread here, and our lovely designers who have requests open in the Artist Showcase would also be happy to help, I'm sure!

You can also check the list of BBCode possibilities here, and play around with them in the Journals forum or in the Editor Playground. :)

There are a bunch of templates you can build off of in this thread here, and our lovely designers who have requests open in the Artist Showcase would also be happy to help, I'm sure!

You can also check the list of BBCode possibilities here, and play around with them in the Journals forum or in the Editor Playground. :)
Okay, I'm gonna need a minute, or several thousand to understand how to utilise those, but thanks for sharing! XD

There are also a lot of flat text or lightly-formatted request threads out there (mine included)! Pretty threads are very nice, but my suggestion would be not to let the perfect be the enemy of the good in thread creation. Put some ideas out there today, and you can always pretty it up afterwards!

There are also a lot of flat text or lightly-formatted request threads out there (mine included)! Pretty threads are very nice, but my suggestion would be not to let the perfect be the enemy of the good in thread creation. Put some ideas out there today, and you can always pretty it up afterwards!
That's true! I can be the victim of my own pedantic and perfectionism, so maybe I should just focus on making something, anything, and then making it prettier as I go along! Thanks for the advice <3!!

I am pretty much did the same. I put up something for now, even though it feels incomplete to me. I told myself I can flesh it out more later. Good luck! โ˜บ๏ธ

I am pretty much did the same. I put up something for now, even though it feels incomplete to me. I told myself I can flesh it out more later. Good luck! โ˜บ๏ธ
Helloo! Haha, snap! Yeah, I think thatโ€™s probably the best way to defeat being too fastidious. Just gotta shoot your shot and refine it later! Also, I love your header! Iโ€™m trying to find one, but the shape is very stretched and I canโ€™t find an image that fits neatly haha. Thanksss! Good luck to you too <3!!!

Also, it's good to keep in mind that you don't really need to impress everyone. There are hundreds of active people on the forums (probably closer to thousand) and as you really can't write with hundred odd people, you only need to attract people you get along with / want to write with. This means that your request thread should basically reflect what you like-like and make clear what you don't like. People seek out 'good matches' and want to feel wanted/desired for what they like.

Also, it's good to keep in mind that you don't really need to impress everyone. There are hundreds of active people on the forums (probably closer to thousand) and as you really can't write with hundred odd people, you only need to attract people you get along with / want to write with. This means that your request thread should basically reflect what you like-like and make clear what you don't like. People seek out 'good matches' and want to feel wanted/desired for what they like.
That's true! I feel like when you're new, the focus is just placed on making sure you can find people to write with, I hadn't thought about catering towards the people that I'll enjoy writing with the most. Thanks for the advice, I'll bear it in mind as I write my first thread! I should help me find my optimal matches, thank you <3!!

It's good to remember that while you might just find 'someone' (or few such people) to write with, no-one wants to be 'anyone'. :)

Best of luck in your search and don't give up if it takes you some days to work things out.

Yeah, I'm new to the space in general - but I have a feeling it'll be much nicer for both parties to feel the enthusiasm emanating from their writing partner! We all wanna feel a little bit special deep down ๐Ÿ’Ž.

Thank you <3!!!

Back
Top Bottom