Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

π™°πš‹πš—πš˜πš›πš–πšŠπš• π™°πšπšπšŠπš’πš›πšœ - Modern, Sci-fi, Horror, Fantasy UPDATED

Archmagos Issac

Sir Ser Issac of Clarke of Chad the II
scary-pictures-about-scp-art-(14).jpg

Welcome to the Department of Abnormal Affairs; a secret program within the UN with the goals of studying, containing, and in some cases destroying abnormal occurrences within the world. Such occurrences can range from items imbued with strange powers, abnormal phenomenon within the world, and unbelievable creatures. Items that threaten to destroy a world we've spent thousands of years cultivating and understanding. Things that threaten our very sanity to the breaking point and beyond.

Your exploits will go unnoticed by the world, your missions will often be dangerous and potentially result in your death or the death of others, but you will live knowing you serve to preserve the world and protect it from things that would tear it down simply because they can.

Origin of the Department of Abnormal Affairs

med.png

"...While the rest of mankind dwells in the light, we must stand in the darkness. It's our duty to understand it, contain it, and shield it from the eyes of the public, so that others may live in a sane and normal world"

- Motto of Abnormal Affairs -

Officially established by the United Nations in '55, the Department of Abnormal Affairs is a clandestine organization established with the purpose of containing and assessing the potential threat of paranormal and extraordinary threats. Delegates of the United Nations assembled in secret to compare notes concerning disturbing abnormal events that had been occurring within the nations of the UN. Some of reports were straight from the settling battlefields of the Second World War, others were historical accounts considered hundreds of years old. Some of the accounts couldn't be verified given their age. Others however could potentially be verified now if someone knew what they were looking for.

Thus, the Department of Abnormal Affairs was born. What started off as a laughably small department within the United Nations to verify potential incidences of the paranormal soon became a massive and well funded entity within the UN. An organization that had developed in the shadows to study the shadows, understand the shadows, and protect humankind from those shadows using any means necessary. With the collaboration of the Institute of Fringe Sciences and the Order of Arcane Secrets, Abnormal Affairs has successfully managed to prevent the end of the world more times than any could imagine.

Origin of the I.F.S.

med.png

"Going into the unknown is how we expand what is known. Without knowledge action is useless, and knowledge without action is futile"

- Quote from Professor Ashton Hopkins, founder of the Institute -

3 years before the beginning of the Second World War, a former professor of M.I.T by the name of Ashton Hopkins established a private institute with the intention of developing theories and technologies many within the scientific community deemed unorthodox. Some of these theories were simply considered unorthodox because the technology at the time wasn't feasible; cybernetics, genetic manipulation, nanotechnology. Ashton believed whole heartedly that just because something seemed impossible didn't mean it was, that unorthodox didn't mean undoable.

Ashton reached out to people within the scientific community from all walks of life from physics, to engineering, even to archaeology. By '55, members within the UN reached out to the Institute and offered what funding and information it could in exchange for anything the scientists and researchers could find. In a few years time, the scientists were able to deliver ground breaking information that would help the Department of Abnormal Affairs. In just a few more years, the Department reached out to the Institute and offered even more secrets and information in exchange for aid in the goals of the Department. How could the scientists refuse the chance to venture into the unknown? It isn't out of place now to see field teams accompanied by the likes of scientists, advanced drones, or even engineers

Origin of the Order

med.png

Not many outside of the Order know the history or even the purpose of the Order itself. Even within the Order such secrets are closely guarded. The Order of Arcane Secrets (or as veterans of the Order call it "Ordo Secretorum Arcanorum") is a secret clan of magic users, occult scholars, and paranormal creatures that are believed to be older than the Mesopotamians or even the Babylonians. It is said that ancient shamans of various clans banded together for some disputed reason. Some believe that the ancient shamans joined together with the intent of understanding the hidden forces that governed the universe that they seemed to be able to control. Others believe that the arcane warriors banded together to protect mankind from the horrors that lurked in the shadowy corners of the world.

Regardless, the Order of Arcane Secrets is perhaps one of the oldest and most respected organizations within the occult world. Abnormal Affairs became aware of the Order almost immediately as their investigations began but nothing could be gleaned concerning the Order or it's intentions, merely that the Order seemed to exist at the peripherals of the instances the Department were investigating. All that the Department was able to discern was that the Order wasn't a malicious force and either meant the Department no harm or didn't deem them a real threat. The Order watched the Department's dealings for some time, learning what it could of this new entity within what the Order called "The Hidden World". In time, the Order reached out to the Department and offered an alliance, revealing that the Order bore the same goals as Abnormal Affairs: study the shadows and protect the mundane world from threats that lurked in the shadows.

Last edited:
Tentative interest based on what sort the characters will be.

I'm envisioning the characters will be forming a field team comprised of members from Abnormal Affairs (Military, Investigators, etc.), IFS (Researchers, Inventors, Scientists, etc.), and the Order (Sorcerers, Warlocks, Magic Users)

I'm envisioning the characters will be forming a field team comprised of members from Abnormal Affairs (Military, Investigators, etc.), IFS (Researchers, Inventors, Scientists, etc.), and the Order (Sorcerers, Warlocks, Magic Users)
OK, but what sort of characters? Are they all humans or are paranormal species allowed? What will the levels of tech and magic be? Things that let potential players know what they can create.

OK, but what sort of characters? Are they all humans or are paranormal species allowed? What will the levels of tech and magic be? Things that let potential players know what they can create.

Ohhhhhh gotcha gotcha gotcha.

• I would allow paranormal species to be members.
  • Tech will be on the level of humanoid robots with personality, exoskeleton armor, etc.
  • Magic I would say is a bit unstable and requires training to use. It can do theoretically anything but the more complicated the spell or ritual, the more taxing it is on the user, the more components it needs, and/or the more knowledge required

Sounds cool! I got some ideas bouncing around my noggin so hopefully this gets enough nibbles.

I’m starting to have a character concept develop here. Inspired by H.P. Lovecraft and Charles Stross, I’m imagining a mathematician who stumbled into magic while researching solutions to NP-complete problems. He’s trying to harmonize advanced math, Boolean and formal logics, and hermetic magic, and his magical workings primarily revolve around summoning daemons and elementals.

He’s a field agent because he finds that working under pressure helps him find breakthroughs much faster than working in a lab.

I’m starting to have a character concept develop here. Inspired by H.P. Lovecraft and Charles Stross, I’m imagining a mathematician who stumbled into magic while researching solutions to NP-complete problems. He’s trying to harmonize advanced math, Boolean and formal logics, and hermetic magic, and his magical workings primarily revolve around summoning daemons and elementals.

He’s a field agent because he finds that working under pressure helps him find breakthroughs much faster than working in a lab.

Oooo very interesting concepts. Gives me vibes of Harry Keogh from the Necroscope series who uses advanced mathematic formulas to create doorways and teleport through time and space

That’s the vibe I’m going for, yes. Sort of β€œany sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from existential horror”,

Also..,
View attachment 34048

Makes sense to me that they'd be a member of the IFS considering they're a mathematician who's using the laws of science to manipulate the laws of magic

Right now, I'm loosely thinking of a veteran soldier who has given his life to the cause after an encounter left him the only member alive after a mission. Kinda like if they found Dutch after Predator and said "Do you want to keep them from coming back?" He's a little a lot broken. Pieces of advanced tech is scattered through his body to help level the playing field, but he has to take a bunch of pills just to stay level and reduce the strain on his brain. Things man should not see plus bleeding edge tech equals hardened man on a mission.

Right now, I'm loosely thinking of a veteran soldier who has given his life to the cause after an encounter left him the only member alive after a mission. Kinda like if they found Dutch after Predator and said "Do you want to keep them from coming back?" He's a little a lot broken. Pieces of advanced tech is scattered through his body to help level the playing field, but he has to take a bunch of pills just to stay level and reduce the strain on his brain. Things man should not see plus bleeding edge tech equals hardened man on a mission.

Very much how most members of Abnormal Affairs get recruited. Either the potential recruits seek the Department out, or the Department seeks them out. Either way the conversation is very much "You can either help us keep stuff like this from happening again or we can wipe your mind of it and turn you into a vegetable. Your choice!"

Ah I see. Like a psychic radar of sorts who can point and say "Yep, that's some funky shit!"
Yep, exactly. I am thinkomg she descends from a long line of psychics.

So there is this myth that, to secure their freedom from the French, Haitian revolutionaries made a deal with the devil. Taking that literally, MC's ancestor made that deal, and gained psychic powers for her female descendants. It comes with a terrible personal, something I haven't come up with yet.

Yep, exactly. I am thinkomg she descends from a long line of psychics.

So there is this myth that, to secure their freedom from the French, Haitian revolutionaries made a deal with the devil. Taking that literally, MC's ancestor made that deal, and gained psychic powers for her female descendants. It comes with a terrible personal, something I haven't come up with yet.

I like it! Definitely someone who'd be recruited by the Order

Got a bit of a quirky idea... a sultry secret agent type who happens to be the Bride of Frankenstein (or at least the creature the character is based on). Some kooky stuff based on Franz Mesmer's animal magnetism thrown in.

Back
Top Bottom