Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

𝔹𝕖π•₯𝕣𝕒π•ͺ𝕒𝕝 & 𝔻𝕖𝕔𝕖𝕑π•₯π•šπ• π•Ÿ (π•£π•’π•šπ•€π• π•Ÿ 𝕕𝕖π•₯𝕣𝕖 𝕩 π•‘π•’π•€π•€π•šπ• π•Ÿ)

raison detre

Carpe Diem, No Time To Waste
zGWb73z.png

"To The Fated Few!" A voice called out in the middle of a tavern, a tankard raised to the sky as mead overflowed from it, splattering onto a wooden table and the floorboards underneath. Golden locks swung wildly in all directions as a young elven man threw the large mug into his mouth, downing the alcoholic drink into his throat in a single swig. Laughter erupted as he slammed the tankard on the table with much more force than one might expect from such a slender figure.

The Fated Few. It was a name that had only surfaced in the minds of the public in the last few years, and yet they had made many waves throughout the continent of Brefari. Consisiting of three heroes and three heroines, the party had been formed with the simple yet grueling job of protecting the innocent, no matter how difficult it was or how far they were. They all acted upon a shared sense of justice, lead by a powerful mage knight and an even more powerful sorceress. While many other adventuring parties, really little more than sellswords, demanded a hefty fee for their services, The Fated Few worked pro bono publico. They were not above accepting gifts from time to time, but they often didn't demand or expect payment. How they'd come to meet was a secret kept tightly among the members, with only smiles being exchanged between them when asked.

"You are too loud, as always! Simply drink your booze and let others enjoy theirs!" A gruff voice grumbled, belonging to an old, grumpy beastman that was nursing his own drink, taking his time with it. He was particularly annoyed about all the looks the table was getting from other patrons. Some of them were looks of curiosity, while others were clearly looks of irritation. Not many enjoyed being bothered while they were eating dinner, after all. Most people preferred a quiet conversation in the evening before turning in.

"Let him celebrate a little. We did overcome a rather daunting quest today..." The third of the three men of The Fated Few chuckled under his breath, grinning relaxedly as the elf downed another drink before hailing the waitress for more mead. He was a human, handsome and clad in light metal armor that shone white. A paragon of justice incarnate, his features unblemished and not a single scar on his complexion. He was the only one of the three men that wasn't drinking alcohol, instead having opted for a simple drink of water. With a bit of ice, of course, so it was extra fresh. "It is not every day a party of adventurers manages to fell a dragon. One tainted by darkness, no less." The man added, letting himself gloat a little over their victory as well. When the elf brought up his tankard, the human hit it with his own, their drinks spilling out onto the table some more. Another laugh from the elf, as he continued to drink himself silly.

Godric Althaus. One of the two heads of The Fated Few, and perhaps the most enigmatic of them all. Even within the group's secrecy, he was the one who best guarded his mysteries, leaving much of his past as just that; the past. He had always made it clear that he had no interest in retreading territory he'd already explored, and had been quite proficient in skipping around the subject of himself, even as he lead the group as their vanguard and strategist. There were few things anyone knew of him besides what his feats offered. For one, he was a brilliant leader in the battlefield, capable of rousing troops just as well as he inspired his companions. More than once in his short career as an adventurer, he had managed to turn the tides of a hopeless battle into a victory of legends. Any battles he was a part of were certain to have their losses minimized on both sides, as he dealt decisive blows to his opposition while sparing as many of his enemies' lives as he could. Furthermore, his strength was unrivaled, capable of splitting the most powerful of beasts with a single swipe of his blade. Not to mention his prowess with every weapon he picked up, no matter how foreign it was.

To top it off, he also had a slight proficiency with magic, able to cast spells to help him in battle. Though of course, it was nothing compared to his equal in the party, a powerful sorceress even among the gifted few that could manipulate mana.

"How come you never drink, Godric!" The elf slurred, throwing his arm and all of his weight onto the human. Even though he wore little more than leather armor over his linen tunic, the young blonde was heavy. Especially when he could barely even hold himself up from how drunk he was.

"You seem to drink more than enough for the two of us." The mage-knight deflected, smirking lightly as he pushed the chummy male off him. The elf practically slammed into the table, nearly toppling it over before he corrected himself with a sharp movement. He pouted at Godric, but the human was having none of it as he scooted slightly away from him. He clasped his hands together as if in a prayer, blowing a bit of hair that had fallen over his eye. "Furthermore, there is something I need to say while I'm sober." He rested both of his elbows to the table, his expression turning somber as he looked around to his fellow adventurers.

"Well, this is something different." The beastman, having been sipping on his drink, set it down, immediately feeling the shift in the atmosphere. Godric looked at him, offering a slightly wistful smile as if to confirm his suspicions.

"The last few years have been... unforgettable, in many ways. When we first created this party over a bonfire, I had no idea of how much we would accomplish. Truly, it is much more than I could ever have imagined." He looked at each one of his companions in the eye, though he lingered especially on the sorceress. His expression was inscrutiable, a mixture between pride, pain, joy and a myriad of other emotions that he could not put into words. "We have saved so many lives, brought to justice countless villains. The bards will surely sing of our tales for a long time. But..." For a moment he smiled, laughed even, but then his eyes turned serious as he pressed his palms flat on the table.

"I'm afraid I must go my own way from here on out. Though we have done much good, there is something I must do by myself."

The announcement was enough to shift the entire atmosphere in the room at once. The elf, having only been listening halfway to what Godric was saying, instantly sobered up. He looked like he'd suddenly been smacked across the face with a metal shield, or hit with a brick. Though he was already pale, he grew even paler in his disbelief. "What?! You mean... like you'll be going for a while? Why can't we go with?" He was the first one to speak, grabbing Godric's shoulders and attempting to shake him. Of course, his scrawny arms couldn't hope to move him even slightly.

"If you're in trouble, you can rely on--"

"It is nothing of the sort. I'd been mulling over this decision for some time now, and it was only a few nights ago that I decided this was the best course of action. I had certain goals before I met you all that I have been pushing back for all of this time. It is only now that I have realized I must return to my original path."

Godric brought a hand up to dissuade any more protests, letting his resolute gaze inform them of the futility of trying to convince him. Though he spoke not of what these goals were, it was clear they were of utmost importance to him. Perhaps, even, life or death, though they would not hear that from his lips.

"Drink, laugh and celebrate, my friends. For tonight is the last night of The Fated Few. Let our name fade into the night as a legend before we go on our own separate ways."

Last edited:
pxXkJqU.png

It was another celebration for The Fated Few. Celebrations were quite common for the group of adventurers, and yet they never got old. Well, other than when someone had a bit too much to drink. However, the girls in the back were also indulging. A few pitchers of ale, and they were all giggling among themselves. Often, they made snarky but playful remarks about their male comrades, loving to jest and give them a hard time.

As for the girls, there was Junia, an orange-haired, airhead who was actually quite loyal of a friend and skilled at spiritual martial arts. Then there was Zarra, a dagger-wielding thief with pale skin and raven black hair; she was usually pretty antisocial and rough around the edges unless drunk. Finally, there was Mira, one of the founders of The Fated Few. A highly skilled sorceress who could easily tap into many fields of magic and knew how to manipulate mana within and around her to an expert level. She also had a wealth of arcane knowledge, and she wasn't shy about showing off her spellweaving and wisdom, since Mira was a proud woman for her dedication to the arcane. She devoted her life to magic, and her power and confidence reflected just that. Once Mira was fixated on something, if that be her love for the arcane or even a silly mission, she would not stop.

"Shut up, you dumb elf! You are annoying every time we go out!" Junia brazenly threw an empty mug near the elf to try to startle him. The sound of metal hitting the floor was loud enough to make just about anyone cringe even more so.

Zarra cupped her drunkenly warm face. "You ar...are-are... uh... just as..." Hiccup. "...annoying as... him, id-idiot!"

Mira sighed. "I think you all drank too quickly as usual." She shook her head in mild disappointment, but it didn't hide the curl of a smile on her lips. The sorceress was enjoying herself and wasn't completely guilt-free. She also found herself wrapped up in a layer of intoxication. Mira was usually pretty cheeryβ€”not as much as Junia, but it was rare to catch Mira in a bad mood. While Mira could be quite serious and a bit dramatic from time to time, she was usually a rather positive person, which made her a quite magnetic person to be around without much effort. However, there were two sides to every coin, wasn't there? β€” That was the thing about The Fated Few; despite adventuring for years, what did the party actually know about each other? In reality, they hardly knew one another beyond the surface, but there was no doubt their chemistry worked well together. In fact, so much so, that was exactly why they became The Fated Few in the first place.

Godric and Mira were perfect examples of such chemistry. The pair complemented each other well. Godric had the power and brains of a tactician, while Mira's connection with the arcade unlocked new paths and opportunities. It was together that they made the most waves and easily attracted fame and followers, and so when Godric made his grim announcement, everyone was caught off guard. - Especially Mira. Why wouldn't he at least give her an advanced warning as his co-leader? Possibly, he knew she would do what she could to convince him otherwise.

There was a selfish ache in her core at the thought of losing Godric in the party. What was she to do without him? It was them as a team that worked well; how was she able to be so successful without him? How could he be successful without her? The other members of The Fated Few were skilled in their own ways, but they were not on the level of Godric and her. He was her unyielding sword, she was his advanced magic. This pairing was too rare and potent to easily let go, and so Mira would refuse to let him slip from her fingers so easily.

He couldn't just get up and leave her.

He had dismissed the party to go back to their celebration, but everyone was still in shock over the announcement. Mira, who was rarely in a bad mood, felt... sour. No, more than that. Betrayed. Personal mission or not, she wouldn't allow him to decide this was the end without her input. Mira got up with her eyes locked on Godric, nearly tripping over her seat since her gaze was so intensely fixed on him. The girls at the table looked up at Mira with disheartened expressions over the news. "Worry not; I'll speak to him. I can't believe he decided this without talking to me first. He did not only announce his departure, but the end of our group?" Her blue eyes narrowed, the nerve. They were both leaders, were they not?

"Excuse me." With that said, Mira left the table and walked up towards where the guys were hanging out. Every step of Mira's clicking heels echoed throughout the mood-dimmed tavern. He had to have known that she wouldn't allow herself to be brushed off like the others. They were supposed to be in this together, and then he goes astray? Unacceptable. She stopped before Godric, and there was an unseen but felt buzz of magic radiating around the blonde sorceress, who was draped in a fitted black dress accented by lace. It was strange to see Mira without her playful smile or smirk. She looked... irritated and hurt. So much so, the magical energy she passively emitted ran hot in reflection.

"We need to talk." The dreadful words that no man ever wanted to hear a woman say in any context. Mira took a step away, fully expecting him to follow her somewhere private. She looked over her shoulder and commanded, "Now." She wasn't going to take no as an answer, nor would she sit and linger on this. He at least owed her an explanation or a chance at receiving closure. Unlike his suggestion, she couldn't simply go back to partying after the life-changing news he had just blindsighted her with; he sobered her right up.

If he was to follow, Mira would lead him just outside of the tavern. The night was cold, but manageable. Most by now had gone to bed, leaving them the silence of the night and the moon overhead to discuss the fate that Godric alone decided for their whole party.

zGWb73z.png

"You must drink tonight, Godric! I've not once seen you drunk since we've met, and that is not something I'll abide by!" Myriil, the overzealous elf, slammed a tankard full of mead in front of Godric, a rare expression of surprise on the knight's face as he watched it overflow from the cup and onto his gauntlet, the smallest of twitches in his brow as he wiped the drops of golden liquor from the back of it. It was true that Godric had never been seen drunk by any of his companions, but what Myriil failed to realize was that Godric had never drank even a drop of alcohol, despite the party's love for celebrating a successful quest. He had always been one to treat his body like a temple, avoiding any noxious substances from entering it if he could help it. Of course, poison or other harmful toxins from enemies couldn't be avoided at times, but even drinking a single healing tonic was a big ask from him. He had an extraordinarily fast healing factor, so it wasn't ever a problem, but it meant that he never indulged in the partying his friends often did.

"Now that I would pay to see. Ten gold coins, in fact." Dargac, the beastman sitting on the other side of Godric, smirked, throwing the aforementioned coins across the table, pushing his shoulder against Godric's pauldron. The knight gave him a side glance, unamused by the peer pressure he was currently experiencing.

It was almost a blessing when Mira came by, saving him from having to talk his way out of drinking. Almost. The other two male party members nearly scurried away when she approached, feeling themselves sizzling as her magic burned them. They scooted off to the other side of the table, letting Godric alone take the heat, quite literally too. The knight felt it just as well, though he only looked up to Mira as she spoke, his hazel eyes like molten gold as he met her eyes. "Mira--" He began, but the sorceress didn't even grant him that, already storming off before he even found his voice. Of course she wouldn't. And of course he hadn't been foolish enough to think his announcement would go over well with her of all people, nor that he'd just get to leave without this kind of resistance. Mira was nothing if not a driven woman; that was why he admired her the most out of everyone else, and why he'd chosen to lead this mishapen group of adventurers alongside her.

The knight looked down at the drink Myriil had brought over, for a moment considering downing the liquid courage before heading out to meet with his intense partner. But in the end, he decided against it, only giving the other men a look as he pushed himself to his feet. They exchanged a knowing look; for a long time, everyone else besides the two had come to the conclusion that the two of them were in a relationship, they just didn't know it yet. Disagreements like this weren't that rare, and they were always resolved through arguments, just like a young couple would. Though hopeful that Mira would manage to convince him, the men didn't hold their breath as they returned to their drinking, watching the knight as he left through the front door with Mira.

"Hmmm, the chill of autumn approaches..." Godric broke the silence, reaching up to rub his chin between his gauntleted fingers, looking toward the trees in the distance, the chilly wind making their leaves rustle even as some of them fell to the ground. A smile came to his lips as he remembered something, walking to stand beside Mira. "I believe it was also a cold night when we met, you and me. For a short time, it was just the two of us." He reminisced, letting out a rare grin. What had it been then? Fighting off a horde of goblins that attempted to invade the town they were staying in? Or exploring ancient ruins and fighting their way out together? Godric didn't quite remember, but he vividly remembered how powerful she was back then, and how much more powerful she had become in such a short time.

Theirs was a chance encounter. Luck, or perhaps fate, had brought them together.

"This isn't exactly how I had hoped to do it, but I'm glad we have this opportunity. There is something I wanted to talk to you about, actually."

His face soon returned to the stoic expression he usually had, a finger under his chin as he became pensive for a moment. He looked to the side at nothing in particular, or more like he was gazing elsewhere, far away. "I know you are going to tell me to take back my decision and stay with the party, but let me tell you now that I have no intention of budging in this regard. It would've made no difference if I said it now or a week ago." He looked back to her, fixing his eyes on hers, firm both in his voice and his gaze. He was resolute, his will impossible to break down. "You can talk my ears bloody from here to sunrise, but that won't change. However..."

He reached out his other hand to her, palm upward and open. "Come with me, Mira." He said, his gaze burning. The way he spoke, it sounded more like a command than a request. If there was one thing the two had in common, it was their drive to get what they desired. Though Mira was the more emotional of the two, Godric's pride would simply not let him take no for an answer.

"I want you alone to join me, Mira. I can ask only you for help." He drew closer, raising his hand to pinch her own chin, pressing his thumb to the plush skin, raising her face towards his. His eyes were half-lidded as he looked down at her, his breath crashing against her lips. "Come, Mira, and let us leave now. No goodbyes, no tearful departures. Let us continue our travels together, just the two of us. As it always should've been."

To leave like this would surely only raise more questions for the others, but it wasn't like that was something uncommon among them. There had always been an unspoken rule in the party not to ask, never to delve where it might be unwelcomed. Godric was sure they'd move on. Though if they didn't, it was not like it'd be his concern anymore. "Join me, Mira, and I'll answer your questions. I'll offer the truth to you, and only you. Or you can remain here, with the others, and we can say goodbye. Never to meet again..."

pxXkJqU.png
With both her adrenaline and mana pumping from the news, Mira hardly noticed the chill of the night. If anything, she felt a bit hot from the distressing news. She wasn't ready to say goodbye. He couldn't be that foolish either; they worked way too well together as comrades to let this go. Despite their hiccups every now and again, the pair were capable of great things.

She leaned back against the exterior of the tavern with her arms casually crossed under her bust. "When we met it was pretty chilly until my magic came into play." They had crossed paths after chasing down a horde of goblins. She remembered the first time she saw him, the memory etched in her mind. He had a bloodied sword in hand with a few dead goblins around him, while she was alight with a magical aura of blue flames. She may have accidentally burned down a few buildings she didn't mean to with her wild magic, but in the end, they were victorious as they always were. From there on out, they decided to travel together, and their chemistry as fighters attracted other brave souls to join them. While they were the stars of the show, their party made them even stronger and more influential. They could make so many waves throughout the lands, and he was willing to leave that all behind?

There was so much she wanted to say, and Mira was not scared to speak her mind, only minding her words in delicate situations or when playing some game of social chess. However, she would hold her tongue, glancing over to him when the air grew heavy with unspoken words that would soon unravel. Her eyes narrowed, and she took his stubbornness as a challenge since she was also hardheaded about keeping their once-in-a-lifetime group together. She didn't understand why there couldn't be a compromise or how they couldn't help him. While she had no right to try to strip him of his freedom, she refused to let him go easily, even if it led to damaging drama.

While she was prepared to bicker and have a battle of will with him, he managed to catch her completely off guard. It would be evident since her scowl shifted into an expression of utter shock. She looked at his extended hand, and her entire body, including her breath, froze for a few long seconds. Her brilliant blue gaze flickered back up to his face, trying to read her comrade beyond the surface. "The others...-" She couldn't get another word out before she fell quiet from his gentle touch on her face. Never had he touched or looked at her this way, and it left Mira a bit dumbfounded but also with a fluttering warmth. Her feelings towards the man were always on the edge of expanding. After all, he was one of the few who could keep up with her, and she admired his strength in both mind and body. However, they both had kept things more professional than personal, but now, with a secret quest and the possibility of saying goodbye, things were becoming much more... intimate.

"Wait... this is unfair, Godric!" While he was comfortable leaving behind the others quietly, Mira's heart strained at the thought. While the rest of the party weren't as strong or even as useful as them two, they were friends. Yeah, they would probably move on, but Godric and Mira would be remembered as the two leaders who left behind their team. They would probably assume it was due to a secret romance. There were always jests to be made about the two leaders being a pair, but Godric kept up with his stoic demeanor, and Mira was dismissive as she always was when it came to the idea of being with someone; the sorceress was a social but independent woman. She cared much more about magical discoveries than relationships.

She kept her arms across her body, unseen, but felt particles of mana simmering in the air between him and the magical woman. "I don't agree with this ultimatum or your willingness to leave the others behind." At least from what she saw, Godric wasn't always the warmest but had been loyal to their party until now. "But I know that look in your eyes. Even if I were to agree to come with you, but I turned back inside to say goodbye, you would be gone."

The woman frowned as another nightly breeze rolled by. "It is now or never, isn't it?"

She looked longingly into his eyes, trying to understand what could be so pressing that he would do all this. "I disagree with your method, but..." She would finally unhook her arms from around her before reaching out and taking his hand. He would feel the soft but familiar buzz of her passive but personal magical energy tickling his palm as Mira basically lived and breathed magic. "I can't let our fate lines end here. So, I will follow." She took a step towards him. "But you will have a lot of explaining to do." She glanced over her shoulder to the tavern, her heart heavy with guilt. She didn't want to leave their party so bluntly, but at the same time, could she stomach seeing their disappointment, anger, and worry?

zGWb73z.png

"Rich coming from you, Mira." The knight smirked, letting out a chuckle when confronted about his unfairness. He would not deny that much. It was true that Godric was unfair in his demands, but it was purposefully so. Just like his selfishness in announcing his departure, he was selfish in having Mira join him. For as long as he'd been with The Fated Few, Godric had been a paragon of selflessness, going through countless adventures for the benefit of others. Never once had he complained. Tonight, that would change. Tonight, he would stop putting the interest of others before his. And before anything else, he would have Mira. Truthfully, he would've taken her forcefully if she refused. He was sure he could convince her eventually, gradually, if that had been his only option. He was confident that she wouldn't have the heart to incinerate him for kidnapping her.

His eyes didn't falter from hers as she spoke, his expression barely changing as he listened to her. He didn't respond to her first statement. There were many things she didn't agree with when it came to him, the woman stubborn as she was driven. But yet they always found a compromise. She was strong-willed, but not unreasonable.
"I would much rather whisk you away instead." If it had been anyone else, the sorceress would've been right. He'd not entertain anyone but her with this request, he would not have the patience. But her, he wanted by his side. No, he needed her. Godric felt it in his bones.

"It should've always been like this, Mira." He uttered, letting go of her chin to cup her cheek in his palm, grinning slightly as he knew he'd just won her over. Though, in his mind, there had never been a different outcome. Godric had entertained not a thought that didn't end with him and Mira leaving together. There was not a world where he would leave her behind. He would not lose her.

"Thank you, Mira," He said, brushing her lower lip with his thumb, letting his fingers fill the gaps between hers as she took his hand. "You won't regret this." When she took a step forward, Godric pulled her closer, staring deeply into her eyes as he let his own magic intertwine with hers when he felt hers. Though he was not quite as aligned to the abyss of mana as the sorceress was, he could still feel the warmth welling deep inside her and responded in kind. Just as he pulled her body closer to his, Godric also tugged on her mana, as if trying to envelop it in his own. He gave her a knowing smirk before letting up. He dropped his palm from her cheek, turning towards the darkness of the night and guiding Mira along. Godric didn't bother to look back at the tavern as he took that first step forward, showing no hesitation as he left behind that chapter of his life.

In reality, he was glad to finally be free of those shackles, though it would be a long time before he even admitted it out loud.

"There will be a lot of time for me to explain. But for now, I'll confide in you something." Under the moonlight, Godric took Mira to the edge of town, where a single horse waited for both of them. He'd paid a local farmer to let go of one of his horses, saddle and supplies included. It would allow them to get far, far away, before anyone even realized they were gone. He helped Mira climb up onto it before going up himself, whipping it into motion.

"The truth is... I'm dying." Once they were outside of town, galloping, the knight spoke again, staring straight forward. He didn't move to look back at her, to check for her reaction. He could imagine the kind of expression she would make from the revelation regardless. "It is not an ailment that mere medicine or healing magic could cure. In fact, such methods may just worsen it, if they're not simply ineffective. It is... a curse." He continued on to explain after letting his words sink in. Whatever questions she may have, he'd answer once he was done, but he wished to let it all out before anything else.

"It happened before I met you. I kept it from all of you. But of course, I kept many a thing from you, did I not?" He turned his head to look at her, smirking once more. This time, he was a little cheeky, but only for a second before he looked forward again. His bronze hair blew in the wind, the chilly breeze of the night hitting his face as he took them to nowhere in particular. Simply far away, as far as he could before the sun rose upon them.

"It has been manageable through the years, but I can feel it slowly creeping through my veins. I doubt I will live through five more winters, if it continues to advance at this pace. And that is if it doesn't get worse as it progresses."

Though he spoke honestly, Godric was not explaining everything. And he did that consciously, leaving out important details. Perhaps, if given the chance, he would reveal all. Such as the identity of the one who had cursed him. For now, however, the knight revealed only what he felt was necessary. "But I recently found a way I could lift the curse. I've yet to come to an actual solution, but I am hoping this journey will allow me to find the information I need. And you, Mira, are the only one who can help me. Though, I will not force you to stay if you ever wish to leave. I want you to know that."

pxXkJqU.png

There wasn't time to think or debate, but of course, Mira was a bit worried she had made a poor decision. She cared about The Fated Few and didn't want it to end, but she couldn't imagine it without Godric. She never truly realized how much she enjoyed being in his presence until he was about ready to slip away from her. The thought of him leaving stung her much harder than she thought it would. It was rather telling, even to herself, as she was finally forced to face her real feelings and opinions regarding Godric.

While this wasn't how she wished for things to play out, she knew if she followed Godric, she might one day be able to convince him to turn back or form a new group... but most importantly, Mira wasn't ready to live a life without him, especially not out of the blue like this. She couldn't say goodbye, not yet.

His warm touch and even the way he plucked at her mana bent her more in his favor. She found herself wishing his touch would linger. The sorceress' face turned rosy pink as her mana within stirred for him, a rather forward way of flirting in her culture. She leaned his way as if magnetically drawn in, with her breathing slow but deep as their veils started to lift. They revealed bold hints of how the two adventurers actually felt toward one another. Maybe they felt sparks here and there, but they had both been modest regarding their attraction, other than maybe a few looks that lingered longer than they should have.

Running off from the tavern with Godric felt like some kind of unreal dream. There was no foreshadowing of this moment, and so Mira felt like she was splashed with cold water as they abandoned their friends and raced out of town. She had no idea where she was going, trusting her companion blindly, even if that meant leading her straight into hell. With her trust, he had much power over her, but it was a delicate matter, or he could be met with a change of heart.

4z71cqy.png
She hopped onto the horse with him and remained silent in anticipation of what he might say, but the secret revealed was much grimmer than she ever could ever imagine. "Wh...at?" Godric, dying? Not only was such a thought soul-crushing, but Godric had been a pillar for good health, not even drinking with their party, so it was almost hard to believe. Almost. - She was too stunned to ask any more of the questions flooding her mind. She hung on to each word as he supplied her with a bit more context.

Her slender arms wrapped tightly around his middle as they rode. She pressed her forehead to his back as her eyes welled up with blurring tears. Her emotions gripped her, causing her to whimper under her breath as she squeezed him. Her arms shook as she did, barely keeping herself together regarding the devastating news. Mira could be a bit haughty at times, but she was a warm-hearted woman; so, of course, she would be hurt by the distressing news regarding such a dear friend. Mira went quiet, trying to get herself together. At least it sounded like Godric had a lead to better himself. "You know I'd do just about anything to help you, right? I'm so sorry you are going through this and that you kept such harrowing news to yourself." She was hurting for the man. "You should have opened up to me sooner." Better late than never, although maybe he knew that Mira would become overly fixated on searching for a cure.

"You can't die, Godric. You can't... leave me." He couldn't leave her behind in travels or in death. Her mana escaped her with her continuous rise of emotion, which made the air around them become both warm and static. She took a deep breath to try to steady herself, peeling her face just enough that the rushing air would dry her tears. "I will do what it takes to help. How does this curse hurt you? I've never sensed dark magic in you." Some hexes were made to blend in flawlessly, but many the magically inclined woman could spot. She then considered the region and its hardships. "It couldn't be dark essence, could it...?" Had he taken too much of the mysterious dark energy in? They all knew to never linger in the essence more than they needed to, but she could also picture Godric pushing himself. She saw him as a very determined man and selfless (until now).

"Godric, I promise I'll stay by your side and aid how I can. I... I know you would do the same for me, would you not?" She assumed he would, but she wanted to hear it. Now, with the idea of him dying planted in her mind, she wanted to give more transparency. As they continued to ride throughout the night, her arms remained tight around him, clinging, squeezing, and refusing to let the man slip from her grasp after striking fear that he would leave or the reaper may take him.

"Where are we going? How will I aid you?" So many questions, but at least Mira seemed more than eager to help her dear companion. They had already been through so much together; slaying dragons, caught up in raids, climbing mountains, exploring caves, and so on... this was just another adventure that they would conquer together, or.... he would die.​

No pressure.

zGWb73z.png

"It would've been unproductive..." He responded matter-of-factly to her statement. He was sure that for her, these news might've been earth-shattering. But for Godric, who had known for longer than he knew her, he'd already come to terms with his condition. The knight could look at it objectively and know what he had to do. For him, who had lived with it for this long, he had internalized his struggles. "I know you would've tried to push for us to find a cure for it. It would've been fruitless regardless of what we did." After all, he had only run into the answer by chance, and then only relatively recently some months back. They would've never found the solution to his problem and he knew it without question. He was never wrong about his gut feelings.

"Mira... I am here with you right now. I know with your aid, that we will succeed." He didn't turn to her, feeling the weight of her body against his back. Despite him being the one with his life on the line, it was Mira that needed the reassurance. She had always been the one to feel the most, to be the most attuned to her emotions. As the mana that she released prickled his exposed skin, Godric slowed the horse from its gallop and to a steady trot. "It is difficult to explain," He lowered his head slightly, knitting his brows together as she asked for the specifics of his curse. She was not wrong to suspect dark essence as the culprit for his condition, but he shook his head when she mentioned it. "I had an encounter with a powerful being. Though they tried to kill me, all they managed was to curse me. It is a curse that strikes at mind, body and soul. As far as my body goes, I simply suffer bouts of weakness. I have always managed to pull through while with you, but there are times when I fail to breathe, or when pain courses through my body. As for my soul, I am afraid I'm not well-versed enough to know what ails my spirit, but I do suffer from many nightmares, as if my soul was threatening to tear to shreds. It is my mind that is most troubling."

Godric looked up to the sky, staring up at the stars as the moonlight reflected off his amber eyes, narrowed slightly. He felt a sense of melancholy. "It consumes my memories. Like a beast tearing off chunks of my flesh, I find that I cannot recall precious memories. In their place, only a black void remains. I am afraid that when all is done, I will simply be a shell of myself. If it comes to that, Mira, I must implore you to kill me. It is the only mercy I will ask of you." He said, his voice firm and resolute, no hesitation or exaggeration in his voice. For he would rather be dead than to continue living as an empty husk. If that could even be called living.

"Mira," He looked back at her, his eyes burning with indignation. "The question truly offends me. Have I not shown you already? I have always put my life on the line for yours. What of all the times I have shielded you? If it was you in my situation, if it was you that was dying, I would not hesitate to stay by your side." Of course, he had done the same for all of their companions, using his body as a shield when they would've taken a fatal blow, but Mira was the only one he would go through Hell to save. Just as they were about to do now, even if Mira was wholly unaware at this moment. There was no need for her to know everything now, as long as she was willing to follow him. It was better if she didn't know, for he would be the one carrying that burden until the moment came for him to reveal it all to her.

"Cyrrokil, to the south," Godric replied, looking back to the road ahead and flicking his head toward the general direction they were heading in. Cyrrokil was a kingdom that encompassed a large portion of the southern continent, boasting of a powerful army that kept neighboring countries at bay while also keeping the rest of the continent safe from the advance of the dark forces at the edge of the continent. While dark essence was present all throughout the lands, its presence was more powerful at each of the cardinal edges of the continent. Countries were constantly at war with the corrupted aberrations that dark essence spawned, though the center of the country was mostly made up of smaller countries and independent lands, enjoying peaceful lives for the most part while the bigger countries struggled to expand with one side constantly sending enemies their way.

"It is convenient you would mention dark essence, for it is... important." The well-spoken knight struggled to find the correct word as he reached into his armor, fishing out a small crystal that he handed to Mira. It was only about as big as the tip of his thumb, glimmering ominously under the moonlight. It glowed slightly, giving off a dark, purple shine. "Crystallized dark essence. I found it inside the dragon we killed. Though it may be small, only a truly large concentration of dark essence can keep a solid form." Even just a small crystal like this one gave off a rather unpleasant aura.

"Months ago, I found one in an orc general by chance. Back when we drove off that army of goblins, remember? That orc had been completely corrupted by dark essence, and yet the crystal I found inside it was even smaller than that one. It dissipated as soon as I touched it, but I had an idea in that moment..."

As he spoke, he didn't look back to Mira. He already had an idea of how she would react to what he said next. "I believe it may be the answer to my problem. If we could find a way to purify it... Then, it might be possible to lift my curse. But we will need much more than this to experiment on. I cannot handle it, I do not have the kind of mastery that you do, Mira. So I need your help in studying it, in finding a way to harness it."

pxXkJqU.png

Was how she felt considered selfish? Perhaps, but the news had blind-sighted her, and the thought of losing such a dear companion was rather crushing. She did need reassurance or she might burst out in both emotion and magic. Just as Mira proved with the intensity of her spells in battle, they were very much connected. She squeezed his middle with her face still planted into his back, taking a few deep breaths to prevent herself from crying as he provided her with more insight. Insight that would both disturb and concern her.

"What kind of creature did you cross? A lich?" The curse sounded absolutely terrible, and a fate of emptinessβ€”nothingnessβ€”especially if it ruined his soul could be worse than death. This had Mira even more worried, despite him generally saying that they would succeed. She could only pray to the gods that the lead he had was actually valuable.

"Unless you were suffering, I could never kill you. I wouldn't have the heart to."
Even then, it would be quite a struggle for his loyal comrade. The thought alone of slaying him had her stomach feeling sour. How could she live with herself if that day was to ever come?

Maybe it was a stupid question, but she wanted to hear it from him. With so much at risk, there was a desire to know where the pair truly stood. They had each other's backs through many battles, but they always kept their personal thoughts to themselves. At the same time, they didn't need to speak about their connection and trust for one another; their travels and adventures alone had already done that. "You have always protected me, and you have not let me down. In battle, I've learned I can trust you with my life." Usually, she supported him from the backline while he kept her safe; it was a dynamic that hadn't failed them and brought great victory.

It turned out they were heading to Cyrrokil. "Are we to meet someone there?" She'd question him for insight, but she had learned that Godric was the type who often only explained what was necessary, and so she would trust his lead.

EVolY8V.jpg
What she didn't trust was the crystal that was handed to her. Her instincts told her to toss it far away, but her willpower kept it in her hand. "I don't think you should be carrying this." Dark Essence was bad news, no matter how one looked at it. Usually, those who lingered in Dark Essence too long or somehow consumed too much of it would change. Not feeling comfortable with the crystal, she would hastily hand back. "I think we should get at least a container for it, and careful who you speak to regarding it. You should not carry it directly on your person, especially since you are already hexed. It may even attract more dark creatures." She shook her head in disdain. "I can sense the amount of dark essence within it. It is more than enough to plague a village."

She let silence fill the air, dumbfounded by his plan. "Harness?" She echoed in disbelief. "We should not be dabbling with Dark Essence, Godric!" There was upset and a bit of anger in her tone. The passive mana coming from her would have a sting in reflection of her disquiet. "Has your curse altered your logical thinking?" One way of saying she thought his plan was stupid.

"You said earlier that your curse was not related to Dark Essence. I'm assuming you are thinking if we can purify it, we could purify anything, but we might be dealing with two different kinds of poisons." Mira frowned at the unfortunate fate. "What good will I be in I end up cursed or sick in the process too?" She sighed with a heavy heart at the thought. "I know that this is a matter of life and death, but I believe your plan is rather reckless." Clearly, Mira was unconvinced, although she had a fair point while looking at the situation through the eyes of a sorceress. While she could harness mana, finding a way to harness Dark Essence sounded like a death sentence for anyone foolish enough to attempt. Was there really no other way to attempt to save her comrade?

"There has to be another way, Godric." She squeezed his middle while the horse trotted. "I'd suggest we go back to Zetin." Zetin was the capital city that Mira called home. The city was a melting pot of many classes and races but most notably, it was known to have some of the best arcane schools and research labs in the world. To suggest traveling to Zetin implied talking to other scholars about his ailment. However, it was more than likely pointless. The problem with Dark Essence was the little information collected on it and the high risks that came with studying the essence. While there was an effort to try to understand it in bits and pieces to one day better the world, the process was slow. Too slow for Godric's condition unless one of the many scholarly theories were proven true.​

zGWb73z.png

Though Mira exercised a fair bit of caution towards the crystal, Godric didn't share in it, even after being warned by her. He trusted her expertise and affinity towards all things magical, knowing her to often dive into the mysteries of mana, to traverse the abyss. If there was someone to caution against the use of Dark Essence, it was her. And he knew her advice was sound, but the knight did not have the luxury of listening to her. He pocketed the crystal back where he had fished it out of, disregarding her warning for the time being. "It is perfectly contained within the crystal. I have carried it all day and feel just fine. Your worries, though justified, are unfounded, Mira. Besides, did you not see how beautifully it glimmered? If only we were to find a way to harness it..." For a moment, the abyss of madness flashed over the knight's eyes. The temptation of absolute power was simply too strong to truly resist.

And besides, it was his life on the line.

"It is easy for you to patronize me when it is not your life that is at risk, Mira. If we fail, I fail, you can simply return to your life like nothing. It is not you that will forever remain in the void in the end." For just an instant, Godric's stoic mask cracked. Even a man with a heart of steel would falter in his situation. It was not death but something much worse that he had to contend with, to come to terms with. That his own ambitions would end unfulfilled... That he'd fail to accomplish all that he had dreamed of as a young man... It was unacceptable. And Mira didn't understand that. "So you may be right. My thinking may not be grounded or logical... but I'm dying. I simply cannot afford the luxury of rationality."

"It is nothing of the sort, Mira. The reason why I turn to Dark Essence is because..."
Godric shook his head and gripped the steer in his hand, metal joints grinding together as he looked forward, his expression hardening as he reminisced of that fateful moment. When his life had taken a turn and when he stopped having dreams, replaced by a maddening void. His promise from the one who'd cursed him to his fate of emptiness. "The one who hexed me was none other than a messenger of the gods. 'Tis also why healing magic is like poison to me. And 'tis why I believe my only hope is Dark Essence. For the gods are not like the faiths say; they are a jealous and resentful bunch." He spoke with cold venom on his lips, like a cold flame that threaten to burn everything around it. Knights, and especially templars, believed in at least one deity, but Godric believed in none of them, for he had been wronged by them.

"But I understand, Mira. If this truly is too much to ask of you, then I will turn back and take you to Zetin. But I will not remain there with you. I have no time to spare waiting for vague answers and false promises. I see that, though you said you would do anything to help me, that it truly is beyond you." Godric uttered each word coldly, his amber eyes losing their luster as he realized what Mira's hesitation meant. That she'd lied to him. Though he'd entrusted her with the truth behind his departure, and that she'd promised to help him, that there was no helping it. Truly, their fates were just not meant to intersect any longer.

"I recently found out that Cyrrokil dabbled in research about Dark Essence long ago. In order to fight the monsters corrupted by it, they conducted experiments. But they were discovered, and the research was hidden far inside the castle's basements, the researchers ousted as scapegoats. There, a starting point toward understanding Dark Essence lies. I will go there, and I will find someone else who I can entrust with my life."

Though he knew that his best chances laid with Mira, that their separation would surely be a devastating blow to his mission, he simply couldn't go with her to Zetin, where he'd surely be made into a test subject for what little remained of his life. To watch as his life slowly dwindled away while being told they would help. No, he would not hand his life to others. He would take matters into his own hands, no matter if he had to dirty them in the process.

pxXkJqU.png

"Godric, I-..." She didn't know what to say. His plan went against her expertise as a woman of the arcane. To dabble with Dark Essence had her fearing the situation would get much worse. This was especially true when he brought up the beauty of such an ugly essence. Her heart was fluttering in distress from the recent news and the proposed ideas. To even have the crystal with them could end up attracting cursed beings and energy, but at the same time, Mira didn't know this as a fact. Actually, she didn't know anything regarding the essence as a fact; no one did. However, her magical senses and gut often didn't lie.

He spoke back, but Mira was the type that would snap right back. "What if I get hexed just like you or sick from the essence? I will do what I can, but I'm not looking to walk a path that will get us both killed. I'm sure you wouldn't want that fate for me, as I would not want it for you." She would go to hell and back for him, but she was not looking to so bluntly die for him. At least... she didn't think so. There was something planted in Mira's mind after the news that could fester. She would be haunted day in and day out about her dying friend.

How would that shape her?

She would have to bite her tongue. Mira was self-aware enough to know she was emotional this night. She wanted to tell him that he couldn't abandon logic in a time of need. They needed to think and act with both heart and mind, with so much on the line.

A messenger of the gods!? How was she just finding out about this now? "What have you done to upset the divines, or are you a victim of a wicked god?" She always saw Godric as a noble soul, but each had their downfalls. As if this wasn't already a lot to process, the idea of a pawn of the gods being involved was a whirlwind. The Fated Few had conquered so many beasts and battlefields, but never had they dabbled with the divine.

"You have a good theory." After all, healing magic seemed to be the opposite of the dreadful Dark Essence. "But it is still a very risky theory." Out of her compassion for him, she could never recommend bringing Dark Essence into the mix. She wouldn't make that recommendation to anyone, but she owed it to him at least to see his idea in action. Not only that, if she were to turn her back on him, first of all, she'd never forgive herself, and secondly, she wouldn't be there to aid him throughout his sickly journey. The idea of fighting alone did not fit her motto if that be him or her. He needed a loyal commrade, and that was what she was even if she spoke against such a dangerous plan of action.

"I left behind our beloved group for you, Godric! I cry for you! Then you turn cold when I show concern about a path where we play with fire? Would you not show similar concern if I had such a plan out of the blue?" The two often bickered, but usually, it was out of care. It as the best path for their party to travel, and it was part of the reason why they were both leaders. They both had resolve. "I will follow you to make sure you do not do anything too reckless." Great, now he had a babysitter, but really, Mira couldn't let him go. She could be warmer about it, but she cared about the man so deeply, and it was why he had her harshness and emotions aimed at him.

"Maybe you made a mistake bringing me..." There was a pause as she let the blunt words settle between them. "Since now, I won't let you out of my sight, whether we have the same opinions or not." With her magic and her persistence, he wouldn't be able to escape Mira. While she wasn't perfectly going along with his plan, he did have her fierce determination.

"To Cyrrokil we go."
She won't take no for an answer, and she won't let him abandon her nor would be abandon him. Stuck to him like glue, he would eventually see that he could entrust her with his life since that was actually where her concern was coming from whether he liked it or not.

zGWb73z.png

"You must know everything as soon as possible. I know this because I've known you as long as I have. But there are things that you are better off not knowing." Upon her question about what he'd done to incur the wrath of the divine, Godric offered nothing more than a cryptic response. One that would surely not be enough to sate her curiosity, but certainly the only one he was willing to give her at this moment. "I may tell you one day. But that day is not today." Though he did leave the door open for a later query in the future. Or maybe, he'd tell her himself if he found the right time to do it. Maybe the day he truly trusted her to be at his side through hell or high water. The day she truly subscribed to his plan and didn't question him about it. He was confident she would come around once she saw the potential the crystal in his pocket held. Once she knew how much stronger she could become if they managed to tame Dark Essence to do their bidding rather than be a blight to this world.

"Is this not our way?" The knight smirked as he looked back to her. "All the sieges, all our dungeon dives, all our town defenses. We conducted them with less than the bare minimum. They have always been touch-and-go, our party's adventures. Of course he knew that it wasn't the same, that this plan of his and the adventures they had were different in more than one way. But he also knew one of those differences were the stakes. It was usually never one of them at risk. Despite how reckless they were, none of them had ever been in any serious danger. Certainly, none of them had been at the risk of dying. Godric had always been there to protect them all. But who was to protect him now? The sorceress who couldn't even go along with his wishes? Even when it was his life in question, she wanted to have her way. But Godric wouldn't let her. Not this time.

"Not if it was your life, Mira. I would go with what you desire and give it my damnedest to fulfill your wishes. If you were to die because of your recklessness, then I'd die with you if I had to. Perhaps that is the difference between us." Though he didn't mean to sound cruel and distant, Godric didn't feel like he could afford to mince words, to sugarcoat it. Perhaps, he thought, if he provoked her, then she might see things his way. Or maybe she'd feel incensed enough to prove him wrong, to spite him. After all, as the fountain of wisdom of their party, who could really prove him wrong other than Mira? He'd done it many times in the past. Taunting her in order to motivate her, provoking her so that she would go beyond her own limits. Mira was like fire incarnate, a woman who could not be extinguished no matter what.

"Very well..." Rather than continue to bicker, however, Godric turned back to face the road once again, his face hidden from her. From an angle she could not see, Godric smirked. It hadn't been his goal to convince her of his plan in this moment, but simply to make sure she wouldn't be getting cold feet. Unlike his teasing smirk, this one was darker, almost malicious. With this result, he'd accomplished step zero of his plan; to get Mira to stay at his side. Actually getting her to go through with his plan would take longer, but he was a patient man.

Even if he was living on borrowed time, Godric would take things slow to ensure his success. He was nothing if not industrious.

He kicked the horse into a gallop, letting it run to its full speed as they disappeared into the night, truly leaving behind the life they'd had for years now.

When morning came, the pair had crossed the border to Cyrrokil, unimpeded by the usual border guards. In recent years, the kingdom had been plagued with a mixture of civil and military unrest as the constant sieges from the monsters created by Dark Essence gradually became more and more difficult to manage. On the other hand, the countries bordering them had decided to use this to their advantage. They hired bandit groups to pillage the villages and towns farthest north. The king, either unable or unwilling to offer his protection, and the nobles too busy guarding their own wealths to send their own troops, had become less and less favored by his subjects. There were talks of a revolution in the works, though any flames that managed to rise were quickly snuffed out. Though the commoners wished to rise up, they lacked a leader that could make it possible.

Godric had chosen a road less traveled to go into Cyrrokil, making it so they avoided any of the aforementioned bandit presence. In the end, they had covered much ground and had, as the sun rose, made it into Mogorn, the royal capital of Cyrrokil. Here, they would gather information. About the studies of Dark Essence, and about the goings-on of the kingdom. Anything that could prove useful. As they reached the gate to the city, Godric stopped, handing off the horse's reins to a guard. He helped Mira down from the horse, standing next to her as he looked toward the city. Despite all the rumors, the city was as lively as he'd last seen it, making him wonder if there truly was something wrong. But the shifty gaze of people and whispered words was all he needed to know; not all was as it seemed.

"Are you well to walk, Mira? We haven't eaten anything since before last night. We can stop by an inn if you would like to rest."

pxXkJqU.png

Why did she feel like the bad guy?

She would do and give up so much for The Fated Few, especially her co-leader, but she didn't want to recklessly die just to stand by his side. What she wanted most was for them to survive, and she wanted him to be healthy so she could continue to fight with him. At the height of it all, it felt like they could take over nations, but perhaps that was just her mana getting to her head. Often, Mira became a bit manic when too much of her mana was worked up, but it was also a subconscious reason why she was so drawn to Godric; he could make the sea of mana within her spark. It was a big reason why she couldn't ignore his calling. Why, at the drop of a hat, without any questions (at first), she rode off into the night with him and into the unknown. Little did Mira even know that, when push came to shove, she truly would raise hell for the man.

Of course, Mira expected to get her way. Often she did, although at the end of the day, it wasn't too dramatic. She just had a strong say in directing the party from their missions to where they would eat for the night. Many grumbled under their breaths at her demanding nature, but no one ever stood up to Mira since she always meant well. The only person who had a chance of swaying her was Godric. However, he had seen her fierce and stubborn. It was no wonder why Mira was the best at weaving aggressive spells.

Off into the night they went, and Mira remained oddly quiet. It was unlike her, after all, Mira was a bit of a social butterfly. She enjoyed talking about rumors, from rare artifacts to who a farmer's wife might be sleeping with. If not that, she'd be happy to complain about the cold or the overpriced food at the last tavern. There was always something she could talk about, but not this night. All she could think about was him and the new path that was unfolding in front of them, a path where someone most important to her could perish.

WBDKH8F.png

By the time the pair made it to Cyrrokil, Mira was exhausted and drained. It had been a long two days; battling the corrupt dragon, drinking at the tavern, receiving devastating news, and then traveling until sunrise was more than tiring. She would graciously accept the help off the steed, her tired eyes looking around as she adjusted her decorative, short-brimmed hat. She heard of Cyrrokil but had never been there herself. She didn't have much of a personal fascination with the area, but Mira did generally like visiting new locations, especially when there was food, drink, and shopping to be had, but this wasn't a trip for leisure. Mira picked up on how the locals looked; something was off.

"I can walk, but I can float if my legs become too heavy. Still, I would rather not burn up my mana doing so." Mira was often picky about where her mana went. Yes, she could regenerate mana over time, but it part of her life essence. To use it in battle was more respectable than using it to float around out of mere laziness. She took her connection to the arcade seriously. One way to easily get on the sorceress's bad side was to downplay/disrespect her magic or magic as a whole. It was her passion, her strength, and a large part of her identity.

"You should get some rest yourself. Your basic needs are more important than ever." The woman sighed at the general situation. "I will say, it is such an odd hour to sleep. All I need is a nap, so it sounds wasteful to get an entire room for a few hours of rest." Gold wasn't usually much of a problem, but it could be especially if they stopped turning in quests as the Fated Few. Not only that, Mira tried to be wise with at least her share of gold. She was rather good at bartering.

She placed her hands on her shapely hips and turned to face the path awaiting them. "At the same time, I guess it wouldn't be a waste as long as we stay in Cyrrokil overnight before our next venture." As she thought about it, an anxious thought seeped into her mind, one strong enough that he would feel the passive yet telling magical energy rippling from her; an expression of her simmering inner distress.

She turned towards him; her bright eyes met his. "If I sleep, when I wake, will... will you still be around?" There was a side of Mira that had never been seen; she was insecure. Sure, he picked her to run off with, but... did she not sound committed enough to his goal? Would he deem the mission too dangerous for her to go on? It was strange; never had Mira had such a worry. The Fated Few was a group and mission she learned to trust and rely on, but now all was up in the air.

"Godric, you have to promise me you won't disappear without warning like we have done to The Fated Few. I can follow you and track you but...-"
Her statement was cut off, and the empty air was filled with dread. She sure could and would stalk track him, but sometimes, like when she was asleep... Mira was reminded that she was only human. She couldn't actually keep him caged and to herself. Well, technically, with some magic she had a fair shot, but that was beside the point. She wasn't trying to actually steal him away, although it was aligned with her growing insecurity and gnawing desire to keep him safe.

He can't abandon me in the realm of the living or dead.
He can't leave me behind like the rest of The Fated Few.
He can't find someone 'better' than me for this dire mission.
He can't.
I must help save him...
Somehow, someway....

Her tired gaze fell to the ground. "I... I'm not thinking clearly." She wasn't, and she was realizing how insecure she sounded with a weary mind and a loose tongue. Between the lack of sleep and recent events, it was taking a toll on poor Mira. "I do need some rest, but I wish for you to promise that you will not leave me behind while I do so." Right there and then...

Dd he feel it...?
Did he feel how much power he had over her?

Last edited:
zGWb73z.png

"I am not so feeble as to need you to worry for me, Mira." Though he sounded harsh, he simply wished to state the truth. His curse had barely affected the body, his physical form. It had simply messed with his ability to wield magic on a larger scale. He had never been too proficient at it, but he struggled with anything beyond a simple enhancing spell nowadays. "Don't worry. I was thinking of staying for a few days anyway. We can book a room at a nearby inn. I wish to do some information hunting, observe the situation. I was also planning on getting a private hearing with the king, but it will take some time to get a hold of my contacts in Cyrrokil." With the way things were around the entire kingdom, it might be difficult to get what he needed in a swift, timely manner. Getting to talk with the king privately might even shift unwanted eyes towards them if they suspected them to be new players in the uncertain power struggles of the kingdom.

While he thought of what the wisest move would be moving forward, Godric failed to notice her turbulent mana flow until it was impossible to ignore. His resolute ambers turned to acknowledge her, not expecting her to be so... uncertain. Mira was a confident woman. One sure of herself and of what she wanted. He had never seen her need reassurance from another person before. Though perhaps it was only natural given the situation. He was to blame for that. He had dropped his situation so suddenly on her, she probably hadn't given herself time to settle down. The long journey hadn't made things any easier.

Godric sighed, closing the gap between them as he reached for her cheek. He connected to her mana once again through his fingertips, pouring mana into her through the connection. While Mira's mana had characteristics of heat, the knight's offered traces of cold, like a chilly breeze. They were polar opposites, with Mira always in tune with her emotions while Godric endeavored to always keep his in check. He attempted to settle her turbulent mana, to keep her from becoming too shaken up and exhausting herself needlessly. He had to have her at her best in case anything happened.

That was him in a nutshell; cold and pragmatic. Even Mira's emotions were just another factor for him to take into account. Calm her when it was necessary and provoke her when he needed her to burst. It didn't always work, as she was an unpredictable woman at times, but he had learned to handle her well over the years.

"I will be here. You are too dear to me to abandon, Mira." Dear.. or was it more appropriate to say important? After all, Mira's cooperation was paramount to the success of his mission. She was the key to his survival... and after that, to the fulfillment of his ambitions. Even if she didn't know it now, Godric could never leave her behind. Even if she became too unpredictable for him to control, he would find a way to use that to his advantage.

"You are too on edge. It will do neither of us any good if you are exhausted. I'm also quite weary from the trip." He took her hand, guiding her from the gates and toward the streets. "I will say it as many times as I must, Mira. To me, there is nothing more important than you. I only ask so much of you because I know you can handle it. But I will not force you if it becomes too much for you to bear..."

Eventually finding an inn, he went inside with her, paying a single gold coin for a room. It would be enough to book it for a week, food and drink included. He took the key and went upstairs with her, stepping into the bedroom and locking the door behind them. "You should rest." He stated simply as he let go of her hand, stepping towards the window on the opposite side of the room and closing the curtains.

"I've put a heavy burden upon you and yet I have failed to apologize to you. I am a failure as a knight for that. I hope to make it up to you somehow." He spoke as he began to remove his armor, starting with his gauntlets and going down from there. As he removed his chestplate, a chainmail fell alongside it, leaving only a form-fitting black tunic. His legplates came off as well, a pair of white trousers replacing them. All of his armor was set down neatly on a nearby table.

He ran his fingers through his hair as he sighed, feeling a bit of relief as he took off a literal weight off his shoulders. "I shall take a shower. Feel free to take the bed. We can discuss more once you've rested. And don't worry; I'll be here when you wake up. I promise."

pxXkJqU.png

She shot him a stern look. He couldn't tell her not to worry after saying her that he was dying. He could try to downplay it now, but Mira remained distressed, and it was like her to have a bit of a dramatic flare. At least he was thinking big and productively. "I wonder if the king would be willing or even able to help." She was curious how he would state his issue to the noble, especially if he was transparent about using crystalized Dark Essence. If he worded things wrong, he could be seen as an enemy or insane.

Mira had tried to keep her cool, but she struggled when it came to Godric and the fact that they had just left their friends behind. It was rather difficult and overwhelming, and maybe with some rest, Mira would find her footing again, but until then, she was rather sensitive.

When he touched her, she gazed up at him with concern. Her face turned rosy when she felt hints of his essence mixing with hers. It spoke to her in ways that words could not, but it was a rather blunt gesture to the sorceress. "Godric... be mindful. Don't... unless you mean it..." Such a simple yet very intimate act to stir up the mana of a magical user like Mira. Her aura faded in and out of view, a pale blue light that moved in a way that mimicked flames. Their complementing hues but opposing energies paired well together. He was good at staying grounded in cold reality, while Mira kept up the saturation of magic and spirit.

Her touch found the back of his hand on her face, a soft smile curling along her lips. That smile turned even more full at his consoling words. She trusted him, but she did need to hear it. "Thank you..." She turned her head for a moment and kissed the inside of his hand in appreciation. "I will rest much easier now." She had never acted this way around Godric, but the news and leaving their party behind were quickly changing their dynamics and their sense of 'normal'. The situation forcing Mira to be more honest with herself and him regarding her feelings towards the knight. Nonetheless, Mira believed that as long as they had each other, they would somehow figure this all out. They would conquer whatever demons they crossed. They just needed to stick together and believe.

"I am sorry for being rather emotional, but I never want to let you down, Godric, since you are extremely important to me too." She walked with the man she respected most and didn't know what she would do without. Although she could be a bit of a spitfire towards him at times, he still had to know how, at the end of the day, Mira would always have his back. If she ever went against him, it would more than likely still be in his favor at least from Mira's point of view. The Fated Few had taught Mira to be fiercely loyal.

sqkrlNY.jpg

They made their way to the Mellow Stay Inn, which was a small but cozy establishment. Once they had gotten to their room, Mira would kick off her short-heeled boots and take off her hat. "If I had known we were going to run off together, I would have at least fetched a bag of supplies." With her hands on her narrow waist, she sighed at their general situation before looking over at him after he expressed regret. "Do not fret. We have been through plenty of wild situations; I only wish I had more foresight." She would have never guessed the events the night had brought. As difficult as it was, she felt like she did the right thing. She wanted to help Godric more than anything now.

He attempted to reassure her once more, giving her his knightly promise that he would not abandon her while she slumbered. "You have my trust, Godric, and so I can sleep peacefully." She would never forgive him if he left her behind like they had done to their party.

She would peel off her dress without much thought. After all, underneath, she had a thin linen tank top and undergarments that she wore as a layer under her magus dress. Not only that, but she did feel safe around Godric. They had traveled for long enough, and he had even seen her dresses nearly torn off in battle or her naked silhouette when the women of the party had their turn to bathe in a body of water, so this was nothing too uncommon, but usually there were others around compared to just the two of them.

She didn't waste time slipping into bed after the curtains hid the sun. "If you would like, afterward, feel free to rest with me." She was comfortable with her long-term comrade. "Although I'm a bit worried if you sleep too, we may not wake up until the moon is out." She giggled under her breath. "If you are able, try to wake me in an hour or two so I can sleep tonight..." Her voice was trailing off. Poor Mira was not only physically exhausted but also mentally. "When we wake, we can eat dinner together. Mmm, another reason why you aren't allowed to die... I enjoy sharing meals with you too much." Her eyelids grew heavy as she quickly started to drift off into a half-sleep state while carrying the trust that the knight would not leave her behind as promised.

zGWb73z.png

Godric chuckled. He would be the first to admit his plan to leave had been rather hasty on the surface, but it'd all been deliberate. It had been a ploy to corner her into making a desperate decision, given little time to consider the pros and cons of following him. He was aware of her feelings for him in some capacity, though how strong these emotions of hers had really been had been an uncertain factor. He'd banked on them being strong enough that she would largely make away with rationality in favor of following after him, and he had won that gamble. Though given; the knight never rolled a die that wasn't loaded in his favor.

"We always get through it together, Mira. Besides... isn't this exciting?" It was a strange thing to say, he would admit, that he was somewhat excited by the current situation. But it was true. For the first time in years, he didn't feel shackled by a name, a title. The name The Fated Few had garnered much fame, but Godric himself had always tried his best to stay in the background. He had always preferred pulling the strings from the shadows, keeping his face and name from being mentioned as much as possible. That was not to say he didn't put his name forward for the right people to hear. "You and I, all by ourselves. This is like when we first met. Just the two of us, taking on the world. I am most thrilled to be able to do this with you again." It would be a fresh start for the two of them.

His gaze lingered on her for a moment longer than he intended, watching her disrobe. While it had been true that he'd seen her form at times, sometimes even let himself indulge in it, he'd never quite seen her in a more private setting like this. There was meaning in it now; a certain intimacy as they shared a room for the two of them for what felt like the first time. Oftentimes, the men and the women of The Fated Few rented two rooms to be separate. When they camped, they took turns bathing so that mishaps wouldn't occur. Mostly, they were worried about a certain golden-haired elf seeing more than he was meant to.

"Very well," The knight tore his eyes away after a long moment, hoping that she hadn't noticed the prolonged gaze. He could not see her in the eye while she spoke so purely. For just a moment, Godric's chest tightened with the feeling that he was betraying that trust she put so blindly in him. But only for as long as his eyes wavered, as the next time he blinked, that resolute, steely gaze of his returned. He waited until he was certain she had drifted off to sleep fully before he moved. Godric watched her sleep for a few moments and then slipped into the bathroom. The rest of his clothes fell to the ground as he turned the faucet on, steam filling the room before he stepped inside.

When he emerged, his brown hair was slicked back, a towel on his shoulders as he finished drying off. Though he had promised her to stay by her side while she slept, he betrayed that trust only long enough to go downstairs and ask the inn owner a few questions, as well as arrange dinner to be brought up to them later that evening. He thought for tonight, they could have a bit of privacy. When had they last dined all by themselves without anyone to interrupt their conversation?

As he returned to their room, he was careful to shut it quietly, not wishing to disturb Mira's sleep as he came in. His feet were light as he walked over to the bed and sat on the edge, twisting slightly to look at Mira's sleeping face. He envied how peacefully she slumbered, even knowing that she could only sleep that comfortably because she didn't have to worry about him disappearing on her. For him, sleep was often a dreaded activity. He tried to sleep as little as possible, knowing the nightmares would strike the moment his consciousness left him.

"I wonder what a prodigy like you dreams of..." He put a hand to her cheek, leaning over slightly to study her face more closely. His rugged fingers touched her soft skin, ghosting over her features gently. Even while she slept, Godric could feel the embers of her mana flowing. He pulled, tugging at her very essence while she slept peacefully. He had always envied her mastery over the abyss of mana, always found her boundless potential so enticing. Though he could never have it, that didn't mean he couldn't have her. And so he tried and pulled at her mana, dragging out a small bite of it to add to his own, cold magic. To take a piece of her soul to add to his. He left a piece of his own to fill the gap he'd left behind, of course.

He wasn't the kind of man that only took, after all. He'd happily give her all of himself if it meant taking all of her.

"Perhaps you are too naive..." He chuckled, getting onto the bed and laying on his side. He slid his arm under her head, resting his own on the pillow. His eyelids began to feel heavy. Maybe he'd been pushing himself a bit too hard after all. Though he begrudged going to sleep now, he could not stop himself as he drifted off next to Mira.

pxXkJqU.png

Her pool of mana was plucked, which caused a stir from Mira, but she remained asleep. Usually, she would be sensitive enough to wake up from such a metaphysical touch, but Mira was more than familiar with Godric's personal essence. They had worked together so closely and for so long that they could be more than comfortable with each other. If anything, her lack of reaction was also a hint of how deep her trust went for the knight. At least in her culture as a sorceress, such an exchange was no small matter, even on a minor scale. After all, it was their very essence mingling, and he had done it without even asking her, and yet... the lack of magical rebuttal within her told him that she accepted him like second nature. Her essence was woven into her, just as hers did to him. Would Mira notice when she eventually awoke? Perhaps she would subconsciously.

She would dream of him. Dream of the two of them basking in their victories against corrupt beasts. They were well respected, swimming in gold, their names set to down in the history book, but... her dream would take a dark turn. Such a pleasant dream would shift into a nightmare of Godric's sickness overtaking him, causing him pain, fear, and a slow death. No matter what she did in that dream, Godric would suffer. She was helpless, no matter how hard she tried to help him.

After a few hours, Mira would slowly start to wake. It would take a couple of long sleepy seconds before all her recent memories as well as her brutal nightmare to hit her, which caused her to jolt up in a state of panic. Her aura awoke in reflection of her alarmed state, it took the form of softly sizzling blue that it could be seen by the naked eye. All she could think of was...

G o d r i c !

There he was, as promised, sleeping next to her. Mira didn't have to get so worked up; she knew she could trust him, but she hadn't trusted his recent patterns. She placed a hand over her fluttering heart in an attempt to calm it, and with a deep breath, her overreactive aura fizzled out of existence. She reached up and ran her fingers through her blonde hair. "Thank the gods...," she sighed in relief to see she was not abandoned like the others. Maybe it really would be like the good ol' days, both of them trusting each other with their lives without the worries of lesser comrades. She recalled some of their many victories that they accomplished without the help of others. Together, they were capable of so much.

She would settle back in bed before draping an arm around his core, her other arm weaseling its way under him. Mira would pull herself close and embrace him tight as he slumbered. She had never hugged him like this, but she would cling to him for that moment, savoring his warmth, his scent, and even the way he breathed.

What would she do without this man...?

The thought alone had her eyes watering a bit. She couldn't be without him.

The dormant feelings for the male were starting to surface and fester. She wasn't sure if she could let him out of her sight from this point on. He was far too precious... or maybe she was feeling that way even more now that a bit of his essence was freshly tied to her.

As she held him, selfishly taking in the moment, there was a faint knock at the door. The knock would snap Mira back into reality, causing her to blush and jerk her body away from the knight. How embarrassing! She shouldn't be cuddling up with him like that, but... she glanced down at him; this feeling.

"Just rest easy, I'll get it." She hopped out of bed and opened the door to see staff there with trays of food for their dinner. Mira pointed to the table in the room, and the table would be set with what Godric had ordered.

"I am going to wash up, and then I'll join you for dinner." Mira would take a quick shower, not even able to enjoy it since she wanted to hurry out to keep her eyes on Godric. It was stupid... he gave her his word and she trusted him, and she doubted his illness would take him from her overnight, but there was this gnawing need to remain as close to him as possible. To protect him, to keep him from slipping away, and to take care of him if he fell ill. After all, she believed he would do the same for her.

She would come out of the shower in her linens once more, her wavy pale hair damp still from her shower, and she carried the light scent of rose thanks to the complementary oil the inn provided. "That's better...," she mumbled to herself, refreshed after bathing. Her gaze fell on the table, where she expected Godric to be eating or sitting and waiting for her. If he was, she would join him.

[Update: Last Post - End of RP]

Last edited:
zGWb73z.png

Godric stirred slightly, his slumber disturbed by the sudden shift in the bed. Because he'd always taken the role of lookout when they camped in the wilderness, the knight had learned to be a light sleeper. Even the snap of a branch would be enough to wake him. And wake he did, though his eyes did not open. It only took him a second to remember where he had fallen asleep in. Rather than be annoyed at being awoken, Godric was actually grateful to Mira. He did not dream or have nightmares. What he had could only be described as a black, black void. For years, he had considered it a warning of what would happen to him would the curse take its full effect on his mind. He was fully aware in his dreams, possessing lucidity but being unable to do anything. Think anything. It was emptiness, through and through.

So he did not resent his sleep being perturbed. Even so, he didn't make it known to her that he was awake, still half-asleep even as she embraced him. He would not complain about the intimacy. Her warmth was comforting.

He breathed in, then let it out, hearing the knock on the door and feeling her remove herself from the bed. Only then did his eyes crack open, watching her silhouette walk towards the door. While she directed the inn servants to leave their food on the table, Godric let his mind wander. For a time, he had considered what this would be like. Waking up to Mira every day. She was an intense, strong woman. Sometimes, he thought it impossible for her to devote herself to someone. She was, after all, already married to magic. To mana. Her intimate knowledge in the arcane made her unapproachable at times. But what if he could tame that passion of hers? What if he could find a way to mold her to his liking?

"Don't take too long..." The knight half-yawned as he sat on the edge of the bed, rubbing the sleep from his eyes with both hands. He never did like himself in the moments after awakening. He felt too clumsy, too vulnerable in a silly way. He often tried to wake up before everyone else for this very reason. Perhaps he was vain, but he liked to keep the right appearance in front of others.

He stood from the bed and went to the table, sitting down on one of the two chairs. Steak, stir-fried vegetables and baked potato was what he'd ordered for them, accompanied with the most expensive wine they had in their cellar. It was the finest cut they had too, wanting to spare no expense in this dinner they would share together. It was the first time they had dined together in a long time, after all. And, more importantly, the first time they had done so after he'd revealed the truth to Mira.

At least, part of the truth. He still couldn't trust her with the full truth, as cruel as it may have been.

"You are truly breathtaking, Mira," He uttered the moment he laid eyes on her, swirling a glass of wine in his hand. He took a sip of it before taking the bottle and pouring her drink as well. "No matter how many times I lay eyes upon you, I am in disbelief that you are of this world. I am sure even the most beautiful angel would envy you. Perhaps it is how radiant your mana is?"

Back
Top Bottom