Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

How is this site different from Elliquiy?

Suki Rune

Forced to be a girl
I am a longtime player over at Elliquiy but only just discovered this site. What is the difference between the two sites?

I haven't spent a ton of time on E, so I'm sure someone else who has will have a more detailed answer! But, in my opinion, BMR's interface is a bit easier to use, especially for people who aren't fully used to forums. I think E can be a bit more heavily story-focused, where as BMR has more of a mix of smut and story seekers. I also think the personalization/formatting is easier here; I struggled a bit to find out where to place things/how to format posts on E, and I find that the rich text editor here is easier to use.

Other than that, we're both great communities, so I'm happy to see that you're giving us a try as well! ^^

I haven't spent a ton of time on E, so I'm sure someone else who has will have a more detailed answer! But, in my opinion, BMR's interface is a bit easier to use, especially for people who aren't fully used to forums. I think E can be a bit more heavily story-focused, where as BMR has more of a mix of smut and story seekers. I also think the personalization/formatting is easier here; I struggled a bit to find out where to place things/how to format posts on E, and I find that the rich text editor here is easier to use.

Other than that, we're both great communities, so I'm happy to see that you're giving us a try as well! ^^
I concur with this point. Very friendly to newbs

Care to elaborate?
I felt that my disciplinary actions on this site had an unfairly negative influence on my chances of being accepted to E. Otherwise, I felt that I should have had no problems being accepted.

Even if I am way off-base with that, however, I dislike gatekeeping and elitism in general, and in my opinion, the only people who gatekeep are elitists.

I felt that my disciplinary actions on this site had an unfairly negative influence on my chances of being accepted to E. Otherwise, I felt that I should have had no problems being accepted.

Even if I am way off-base with that, however, I dislike gatekeeping and elitism in general, and in my opinion, the only people who gatekeep are elitists.
When I was on Staff, at least to my knowledge and what I saw. Staff never talked with other members of E. Perhaps the admins may in secret. I could be wrong, but I don't think any past disciplinary actions on this site would affect the application of another. I could be way off base. I don't know what was said in your application or the reasons of E as I'm not part of their site and have never attempted to join.

To my knowledge and experience. Staff really only focuses and moderates those on this site and leave other sites to make their own decisions on a member that may also frequent BMR.

Fair enough. I suppose my feelings at that point in time gave rise to such assumptions, even if they were not exactly based in fact. At any rate, being rejected from E wasn't, and isn't, any skin off of my proverbial back, for the previously-stated dislike of gatekeeping and elitism.

In my experience, having written on both sites, BMR is more casual based and faster. We don't really have an application process here, we have us in the welcoming committee and often other members of the site saying hi when you make your introduction and the low bar of making three posts somewhere on the site and waiting 24 hours to become a full fledged member. It's also more alt friendly, you can't have up to 5 accounts anymore but people do have the option of more than one if they choose to. BMR still has strict rules that are well enforced by staff, but is at least a little easier to navigate in that regard too. It's perfect for newcomers to the hobby of writing and experienced writers alike and because of that I think it has more engagement, but I haven't been on Elliquiy for a while so I'm not certain of that.

Elliquiy is much stricter in it's application process, a process that took a few days when I joined a long, long time ago but was in my opinion a very fun process. I'm not sure if it's the same now but in order to be given the keys to the castle you had to answer questions asked by staff and other members, some relevant to writing, some just fun and nonsensical, answer a pretty large list of questions and wait several days with only the application forum to keep you company. It likely exposed any red flags and behaviour that suggested the applicant was seeking to just "get off" and protected it's members from those likely to harass. The forum itself once you're past that, I remember it being very bright, harder to navigate but larger and being way more story and plot focused than what we have here, which I think has a nice and healthy balance of both plot based and smut based roleplays. I don't think Elliquiy is in any real way elitist, I just think they are cautious who they let inside. I'm hardly elite and I got in just by having fun with the application process.

I like it here better, I've had a more fun and social, relaxed experience here but I never had a bad experience there either. I do remember there was a pretty cool market available where you could buy and sell things like art and advertise your services, I'm not sure if that's still there or not since I'm not even sure if it has been more or less than ten years since I was active on the site. I think it's been more. The inclusion of a built in kink list that also had all kinds of information about settings somebody enjoys writing, where they liked to post, post lengths and expected activity/frequency, the "ons and offs" that I remember is a definite highlight I'd enjoy seeing here but it's not very hard to just write your kinks down in a post somewhere and point to it so it's not a big deal. I think those are the only things I really think BMR would benefit from. I like the default colour scheme better here, I think it's easier to find a partner here and it's a great place that caters for writers of every level. You can find a roleplay that consists of a single sentence per post if you like, or one that has 3000 words per post and have a lot of fun doing either. You can have a smut fest or something with little to no smut and you fit in just fine.

Elliquiy does send me a message on my birthday, which I do like. It's a nice touch.

Hope that helps highlight a few of the differences. Most of what I typed seems like babbling to me, but I only recently woke up. There is probably at least something relevant in it, if not then I'm so sorry!

I've also noticed that here I was actually approached my first day by two people, asking about characters and stories.

On E, people seem to be fairly saturated by those already there. Finding a new partner feels more like work.

I'm active on E and here, and there's definitely a different vibe to both sites.

BMRP is definitely more chill and it's way easier to find new partners, as you can bump your requests daily and the site is much easier to navigate. E doesn't allow you to bump often and you need to add new ideas to your request thread if you want to get it to the top of the request forums. Their rules are definitely more stricter than on BMRP. But still, if you look past those things, it's still a fairly enjoyable experience, especially if you like taboo topics and more story heavy roleplays that would require more work, which is great for someone like me, as I like a fair bit of detail and work for my roleplays and there are likeminded individuals over there, moreso than here. No clue why or how, but that's what I've noticed.

Having spent time on both sites, I've found that I strongly prefer BMR as I find it more casual, relaxed, usually friendlier, and has more of a fun feel to it overall. While E comes across as more elitist and judgemental. At least that was my experience there.

Both sites have this weird obsession with player gender, though that's much more prevalent on E than here.

BMR's daily bumping is much more relaxed and makes it easier to find partners. E's once a month bumping (not sure if that's still the case) policy assures that any thread that's not on the first few slots goes virtually unnoticed.

But one thing I do prefer about E is their stricter application process and I wish that was something that BMR did as well. I also liked the E's different color layouts as opposed to only having the one the default blue layout here.

Ultimately, I ended up giving up on E due to having an easier time finding active partners here.

I also just realized that BMR autosaves your typing! No more lost epistles due to a page refresh or glitchy connection.

A couple things that stuck out as different to me is that a lot of people seem to roleplay through private messages rather than threads here, and the comparatively ultraliberal bumping policy. I saw a thread once that was still in the top five of a forum get bumped within the span of a day and it just blew my mind after being accustomed to Elliquiy's policy.

It also seems like there are markedly fewer group games here, but that's just me looking at the forum advertising for such. The reality could be different.

As someone who tried Elliquiy some time ago I can't really comment much from the RP-wise, since I never got anything off of the ground while being there. I got some approaches, but despite the place having an elitist reputation based on what I've read here the approaches were mostly "Hi. Want to do step-sibling RP?" tier-stuff in my case. I did get the feeling that I was 'odd-one out' while being there despite the interview process being fun and all I never really felt welcomed there I guess. In BMR there's a much more chill and welcoming atmosphere that many before me has already mentioned.

My biggest gripe as an upcoming website-developer, which is that the forum is extremely hard to navigate and finding important information is sometimes extremely difficult has apparently been fixed to some extent. Decided to log-in after a year or so and the UI has completely changed, so now it just doesn't throw everything in front of you and is more pleasing to look at, but it still has 64 separate sub-forums (not counting the sub-forums of these sub-forums) , so ultimately it is still "where the heck do I need to go to find a thing I'm looking for" type of site, except that it's exterior is much more pleasant and isn't stuck in the times of yore with it's layout anymore.

E is much more strict when compared to BMR, and some of the oddly-specific rules did made me scratch my head and think what their point even was as I was navigating through it. I am sure that there are stories behind them that would be fun to hear.

Bluemoon as a site is much more straight-forward, easier to understand and navigate. Default dark-theme is always a plus in my books too. In here I can be sure that I don't have to poke admin to get an answer to a simple question that I couldn't find information about anywhere on the forum after trying to look for it for an hour, like I had in E.

My answer was more in the UI- and user-experience perspective of things, but for me the fact that I can use the site seamlessly is a big factor, especially if I am going to use site regularly. Other than that I'd say the biggest difference for me is the atmosphere. Can't compare the writing-community of E to that of BMR, since I didn't get to experience that, but I'm sure like with BMR there are a lot of amazing writers there. BMR is enough for my RP needs so don't see myself giving E another chance anytime soon.

Last edited:
If by elitist, you mean politically correct up to a point where it's painful and embarrassing, then, yes, Elliquiy is elitist.

This place, BMR, is a lot more down to earth and as people said before, it has a more chill vibe.

I could rant on for a fortnight but I shall refrain from doing so :)

My biggest gripe as an upcoming website-developer, which is that the forum is extremely hard to navigate and finding important information is sometimes extremely difficult has apparently been fixed to some extent. Decided to log-in after a year or so and the UI has completely changed, so now it just doesn't throw everything in front of you and is more pleasing to look at, but it still has 64 separate sub-forums (not counting the sub-forums of these sub-forums) , so ultimately it is still "where the heck do I need to go to find a thing I'm looking for" type of site, except that it's exterior is much more pleasant and isn't stuck in the times of yore with it's layout anymore.

The vast majority of sub-forums are for people's individual games. Just like here. Though we should probably consolidate.

SMF has code dating back to the 90s. It still has code dating back to the 90s even after the upgrade. Parts of its database design are based on problems they had to deal with in the 90s. Myself and a couple other large SMF forum authors fixed a bunch of the latter 15 years ago, but some stuff is still around. They still default to MyISAM for crying out loud.

At the same time, even when Elliquiy had ten times BMR's current activity, seeing more traffic in an hour than most forums see in their lifetimes, it was using a tenth of the cpu. The gulf in performance efficiency between SMF/Elkarte and Xenforo is staggering.

The vast majority of sub-forums are for people's individual games. Just like here. Though we should probably consolidate.
When I counted I tried to exclude these actually. And I guess my wording was a bit off there since I think the ones I counted are actually the main forums themselves (from 'Rules & announcements" to the last group-roleplay related main forum), so sorry for my bad wording there.

Also just realized that you can hide categories on the site now, which I do like. Makes the site less cluttered when you know what major categories aren't relevant to you.

SMF has code dating back to the 90s. It still has code dating back to the 90s even after the upgrade. Parts of its database design are based on problems they had to deal with in the 90s. Myself and a couple other large SMF forum authors fixed a bunch of the latter 15 years ago, but some stuff is still around. They still default to MyISAM for crying out loud.

At the same time, even when Elliquiy had ten times BMR's current activity, seeing more traffic in an hour than most forums see in their lifetimes, it was using a tenth of the resources. The gulf in performance efficiency between SMF/Elkarte and Xenforo is staggering.
I'm sure that updating from SMF-forums to newer ones is a hard and time-consuming work. I got into online forums at the end of the golden-days of SMF in forums and have never directly interacted with the SMF's code so I can only guess what goes into it, and I didn't mean to sound mean, rude or discredit any hard work that went into making it the best it, and the forums made with it can be. Just used to Xenforo and other more "modern and sleek" solutions with forums as a user. Never tried to ran forum myself.

Honestly BMR here could probably use some merging, too. So much was set up for "Let's be different from E" but I did do a few things right with Elliquiy. >_>

I've been debating on switching E to Xenforo and after having to patch the upgrader which would not actually report errors, it has been sorely tempting. That was absurd.

I love both sites equally.

On E, I have had a lot of success in the group sector, with group games that were actually fun. I also really love the Story Lottery as well which matches people up to write a short story together. The admins who run that try their best to match people based on a short profile of basic questions. Some pairings have success, and some don't, but I think it is more successful than the actual lottery.

On BMR, I find that it is easier to get visibility for 1x1 RP's and find that there is a bit more flexibility in finding partners for Fandoms.

I also like E's vetting process for members. Do I think it would work everywhere? No, but for that site and the clientele it caters to it does a great job, and I found the interactive process much better than the scripted welcoming messages most sites give, then limited interaction afterward.

I played on Elliquiy for a couple years and kept hearing about Bluemoon and gave it a shot. I absolutely love the ease of getting in and the style of writing here. Many of the players on E think they need to write a book on every post and that's just a bunch on babble to me. Long posts are hard to interject your side of the story. That's just my opinion of course.

Bluemoon is much better for finding a compatible smut writer. It's easier to sort out the players by gender and kinks.

I only recently joined Elliquiy, but by first impression, I am so far not very fond of it. I don't like the layout of it, and the lack of a theme.

Also, being used to other sites before E, no one ever reached out to my request thread, save for one individual, who didn't even READ my interests.

And I can only bump my thread once a month? Sorry, but Bluemoon definitely seems more lax.

So, that being said, I kind of ditched E after a couple of weeks. =\

Back
Top Bottom