Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Power of (horny) Clothing!

Seranda

🎵 Fighting Evil By Moonlight 🎵
Hullo!

The longer I hang out here at BMR, and branch out to partners other than my Sinister 6, I notice that things are way different than they use to be, particularly in what is most important about my character(s).

While I enjoy writing characters of considerable attractiveness at times, or certain unique physical elements, lately, responses to my requests have been littered with one inquiry and one inquiry only.

Does she dress sexy? Can she wear X, Y, and Z? Can she open the door in lingerie? How about a skirt that shows a bit of her asscheeks?

To me, this feels like it is more important than anything else regarding my character, and it's a bit odd to me. I like to create characters with critical ways of thinking, mannerisms and speech patterns. Yet, none of that seems to matter in the eyes of my prospective partners. What matters is if her fat ass likes to wear tiny jeans to taunt people.

Deflating.

I can make a girl wearing a t-shirt and jeans appeal to a writer, because of the girl I am portraying her as, not because her jeans may happen to be somewhat tight.

Dunno if that was a rant or just an observation. Not here to blow up anyone's spot. You like what you like.

The floor is open if anyone cares.

Seranda, you make a good point. I have three thoughts to add to this:

1. This phenomenon isn't limited to roleplaying. See: bikini armor in video games & the male equivalent (albeit rarer) of what amounts to straps as 'armor'.

2. I think your sentiments of "you like what you like" is spot on. To that end, I think clear communication about what someone want in their partner's character (be that intelligence, strength, or a short skirt) is always useful to determine compatibility with said writer. So long as the communication isn't pushy, I personally think it's fine. I'm also usually pretty happy to cater a fair amount to this type of requests. I see it like this - I cater to my partner in the characters I'm writing 'em. I consider it fair that they cater to me in the characters they are writing. If they don't want to, I certainly won't push, but I also might not bite. Free market at work. :coffee:

3. However, I also hear your point as more being miffed that you want your characters to be appreciated for their uniqueness and/or personality than whether or not they don a particular piece of clothing. Which, fair! I would recommend communicating that openly, and if it doesn't go the way you like, then perhaps you and your writing partner are not compatible. I can definitely see myself being annoyed if I create a character with a nuanced personality and said character is only appreciated for her tits. But I'm also a selective bitch and talk to ppl ooc extensively to try and ensure this doesn't happen

Personally, I find that more clothing is sexy. While I'm not going to deny that an attractive woman in lingerie can be damned pleasing to look at, an attractive woman wearing low-slung jeans and a crop top - thus exposing nothing more than a hint of flat/toned/slightly-curved midriff - can also be very sexy to look at. Slipping my hands inside around a woman's jacket and around her waist just to have a chance at caressing those bare couple of inches of skin can be rather enticing.

But sexiness is more than just how she looks. A good personality, good mental attributes, a good heart, are all just as important, if not more so. I'm not going to be inclined to removing a woman's attire if all she does is piss me off.

End of the day, unwrapping the woman is the prize. If she's already unwrapped, I don't get to have as much fun. And a well-written character is going to make me want to step up to the plate. :)

I like this, because it's something I didn't even really think about until now. I'll generally describe my character's outfits, because in my mind, that helps me complete the scene. It helps me visualize how everyone looks, how their clothing contributes to the scene, and how it might influence what happens next. To some people, they want explicit details on what a character is wearing, because they're far more interested in how they look than how they act. And that's something you're always going to get. There are always going to be people who would much rather read about someone in a sexy set of lingerie, and how it hugs their curves, than read about that character's thoughts, or their personality. And the opposite is true as well.

At the end of the day, to a lot of people, clothing is one piece of an entire puzzle. For some, it's the corner piece that they can build off of, and for others, it's one piece of four in a jumbo jigsaw puzzle, and there's nothing wrong with that. People are going to enjoy what they enjoy. That's my take on it, anyways.

I will say myself that sometimes I've had partners who describe the clothing their character is wearing, and I've had partners who don't. I've had partners who create well-thought out characters, with unique personalities, and I've had partners who don't do that. Honestly, though, my preference is the approach where, as St. Saccharine puts it, their clothing is just a corner piece of a puzzle that we can both build off of. Characters with a fleshed-out personality are severely lacking in my RP roster at the moment (with some glorious exceptions, of course) but perhaps I should go about changing that.

I am finding myself now wanting to know more about what a character is wearing, though to me it's typically included at introductions. I can understand it making the character more relatable and drawing out a sterotype by their clothes to a degree.

I ask the question in this way: what does MC see when he sees YC, so there's something else to respond to. And as for (horny) clothing I'm of the opinion that usually less is more.

Ironically, as someone who often lists "cute outfits", "clothed sex", "clothing play" or similar themes/kinks in her threads, I've never run into anyone demanding my character wear a particular outfit or hyperfixating on what she's wearing. I typically ask what kind of apparel my partner likes, and though they might have particular preferences, they're always quite flexible -- if something doesn't suit (haha) the situation or my character's personality, that's no dealbreaker. I tend to see outfits as an extension of my character's mannerisms and an expression of their personality, and I have the impression my partners feel the same way.

Not sure what I wanted to say with this, but I guess it's not an issue I've had myself. If anything, I use clothing to complement the character traits you describe.

Ironically, as someone who often lists "cute outfits", "clothed sex", "clothing play" or similar themes/kinks in her threads, I've never run into anyone demanding my character wear a particular outfit or hyperfixating on what she's wearing.
As someone who has a teasing kink, same. I always feel like I'm more interested in what I'm wearing than my partners. It's funny, isn't it?

I admit, I'm one of those people that falls more in the vein of the Original Posters examples. I don't mind putting myself a bit on the spot here because I'm very up front about it in my must haves. Sexy clothing is a requirement to me and that I want details. I also specifically mention that I like lingerie and stuff and even directly ask for things like wearing thongs. I wouldn't say its the most important thing about my writing partners character but it is a requirement for me because of how much I like it and how much it enhances the writing for me.

But you know, it shouldn't be like.... the only thing lol. I usually broach it after a back and forth and deciding the character stuff and just go "Hey I like this can you include it? Great thank you!" I don't usually go out of my way and go "I need you to do XYZ."

I remember someone who wanted my WWII nurse to be manga. He suggested an image and went like, I can find a sexier one. I said I'm looking for historical. That said, it's the only time I remember.

Since I have a GM background and pretty much live in fantasy as a writer. Clothing and equipment are important. Sexy clothing has to make sense. The loin cloth and spear/sword work for Conan and Tarzan as wildmen barbrain hero types, but Conan wore armor and clothing vs it made sense. Red Sonya in contraste is the trope codifier for bikini armor, but that is part of the blessing/curse by her goddess.

Bottom line is that if I write or play there has to be an explanation/justification. Ortherwise the scantily clad characters only make sense as guile focused, the sexy sorceror/sorceress type, or aren't really movers and shakers in the story...typically.

I find clothed women more interesting and what they wear means a lot to me. I also like things like nude but with a choker and opera gloves for example, boots or high heels. Just plain naked isn't as interesting,

What a character wears can say a lot about them, so on that level it can be very important. If that can be combined with one or another writers personal preference then all the better!

However ' just wears lingerie all day and opens the door in it' would tend to indicate a psychopath....

Back
Top Bottom