Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Queen's Debt (Lady Nefrodiel & I)

DarkRiffs

Star
He grinned as the vault door swung open, the glittering gold lighting his eyes."The motherload" he cooed as he walked in, scanning the treasures.He filled his coinpurses and snatched a large diamond, slipping it in his pocket.He'd been so distracted by the glittering gems he didn't hear the guard until it was too late.The man snatched him by the collar."Gotcha you dirty pilferer!" he said with a grin.He struggled and growled, before huffing, giving in to being dragged along.The guard knocked quietly on the door."Majesty, there's a matter that requires your attention.We've caught a thief in your coffers".

The door to the queen's study was of course shut for its mistress was hard at work on the affairs of the kingdom. Sitting upon a chair behind a most overwhelmingly large desk, said mistress was bent over studying various documents reporting the state of her kingdom. Intelligent blue eyes took in the contents of the papers, her pale features set in reflection over their meanings. Confident and elegant, she was the epitome of a regal queen. Even as she was bent over papers, doing "dull work."

And it continued that way until a soft knock interrupted her hard work. The blue eyes raised themselves from the paper as they turned to the door, "Come in," she commanded automatically. That was when she realized what the guard had said. A deep frown was etched onto her face. A thief had dared to invade her coffers? Well the issue would be quite easy to settle then. Just the fact that someone tried to take something that belonged to her without her permission was something that bothered her very much. It wasn't that she was greedy, the queen believed it was her duty to provide for the people and be generous to a certain amount. But she was protective over her things... as well as others things. What right did he have to try and steal something that belonged to her? It was wrong and it was irritating, and well the law demanded his blood.

Queen Calestelial Arel of Hallinor sighed as she added, "Bring the scoundrel in and I shall pass judgment." The hour was late, but one did not ever stop being queen... no matter the time. She had business to attend to now.

The guard opened the door and shoved the thief in."Don't get any Ideas boy, I'm right outside" he snarled before shutting the door.Immediately the thief spat at the door as he spoke."FILTHY OGRE!" he shouted, grumbling as he fixed his now messed up hair, straightening his cloak about himself.He was bristling with stolen goods.Gems, bracelets and coins, and a rather elegant necklace draped around his neck, tarnished and old.

The frown only deepened as the scoundrel of a man entered her study and was yelling at her guard calling him an ogre when he was the one who had invaded in the first place. On top of that, he actually... spat on her expensive, well made study door! When Calestelial had ascended the throne, she had learned to control her rather fiery temper. But just because she didn't express it, didn't mean it had disappeared at all. Her blue eyes met his gaze, cold with anger as she replied, "You're a brave man... attempting to break into your sovereign's palace and trying to steal something that rightfully belongs to me. Or a very stupid one. There is a reason why enemies of Hallinor call me the 'Witch Queen,' after all." And it was true, the Hallionrian queen's prowess in magic was very suitable. It was also propaganda that her enemies would refer to her as a witch.. she was a force for good and justice in this world, and nothing else.

Her long blonde hair flowed all the way down to her back in gentle waves, a golden crown decorating her brow to show that she indeed was the queen. Those blue eyes studied this male before her, filled with stolen goods. The audacity of it all! That was when she recognized a necklace he wore. But that was impossible... how could he have that necklace? She had made sure of the magic bond herself when she had given it to that man all those years ago. But the person who stood before her... was most certainly not him.

"Come closer, boy," she commanded, her voice laced with power. This was not a woman you wanted to cross. She needed to get a closer look at the necklace... if it was what she thought it was, then things were going to get complicated real fast.

He was busy mumbling curse words under his breath at the guard, until he heard her voice.He looked up with a sarcastic look as he spoke "Oh can it queenie.You may think your tough stuff but you and I both know It's a facade" he said.She may have been versed in the arts of magic, but he was no fool, he could see right through the back of her cards, a bluffer through and through."Just pin me up in the dungeon and be done with it" he said, remaining on the spot.Why should he cater to her whims just like everyone else?.After all he was as she had said, a scoundrel, he figured he might as well behave as such."The necklace is mine I didn't take it.It's an old family heirloom my pops gave to me before he kicked the bucket.You can have all your stupid treasure back, but the necklace is mine" he said sternly.

Although the thief mumbled his curse words, it was quite obvious what he was doing and the queen was not amused. Didn't meant she didn't have a feisty mouth on her, but that was reserved for close friends in private. But she most certainly did not approve of others cursing in front of her. She was their queen and monarch, Calestelial deserved their utmost respect. Noting the sarcastic look and tone, an elegant blonde eyebrow arched in reply to that comment. "Is that so?" she inquired cold. So he thought it was a facade? This mask she wore to the world? Perhaps he wasn't too far off, but she certainly was not weak. No, she wasn't as cold as she appeared to the public... but being a queen, one- for better or worse- was elevated above the public. It wasn't arrogance, it was just the facts. People expected certain behaviors from their monarch, and were expected to embody everything their country was.

It was as if he read her mind, the questions she had about the necklace he wore. It was funny because everything he bore was hers, even that necklace he thought was a family heirloom. But that had been a gift, and now the pieces fell in place. Mentally Calestelial sighed. Now what could she do? The man who had saved her life was dead, but his son stood before her... having committed a crime. The law demanded his blood, but a debt was a debt. In the brief time she knew him, he had told her that his children were important to him. "No, I can't take the necklace from you, I spelled it myself to make sure it would remain with the man I gave it to," the blonde replied primly, "And stay among his living relatives when he passed on. I'm sorry for your loss, but nonetheless you have committed a crime and must be punished for it."

Her blue eyes carefully met his over the desk that was between them, "Obviously your father did not tell you the significance of that necklace, did he?" The queen was somewhat surprised that he didn't know. What father wouldn't want to tell his son that he had unknowingly saved the heir's life those years ago? But at the same time, it was also a good thing. Because nothing would irk her more if he had invaded her palace knowing he would be safe because the queen owed him a debt.

"You spelled it?...this old thing?" he said with a laugh, rubbing some tarnish off it."I figured it to be a cheap parlor item, my mother never had much taste and my father didn't have a knack for valuables" he stated."The only significance this thing holds to me is my father wanted me to have it, no idea why" he said with a shrug.His father had always been somewhat cold and aloof towards the young boy, he was a bastard, a mistake in life his father had made.The only reason he had strayed on the path of thievery was to garner attention, his father hated it and it made him feel good for that."Punishment?...you're not going to have me hang by my neck?" he asked curiously, folding his arms.Strange she would spare a lowly thief, and because of a silly heirloom?."This evening just keeps getting better" he said sardonically with a chuckle, oh how was he going to cherish this moment.

His attitude was certainly lacking and it was really starting to irritate her. And furthermore, he dared to insult the beloved necklace she gave away! Ugh. Just. Great. An ungrateful person whom she owed a debt to. This was going to be even harder than it was. Well, perhaps banishing him would be satisfying for herself and comply with the terms of her debt. A life for a life. Of course, she would have to make it look like he was dead. Hallinor or its enemies couldn't see her starting to get soft. After all, an intruder had reached the royal palace. The punishment had to be harsh.

"The necklace is mine, I gave it to your father when I was still a princess a couple of years ago," Calestelial sniffed primly, "You may be a thief, but obviously one that lacks taste. Your so called family heirloom was an important item in my family." This was just downright irritating, the fact that he was questioning his fate. Yes, she should hang him. But a debt was a debt. "Well, yes you should be hanged. In fact, to all of Hallinor you will be dead," proclaimed the blonde, "Unfortunately- and most definitely fortunately for you- I cannot act on it. Your father saved my life- that necklace was proof of the debt I was into him. Since the man himself is no longer alive and he felt like he should give it to you, the debt I now owe is yours. Delicately she arched an eyebrow, "A life for a life, eh boy?"

He had just been acting tough thinking he was dead anyway.He reached down and rubbed some more tarnish off the necklace."I...apologize, I wasn't aware it meant that much" he said quietly."My father told me nothing about it, simply that I should keep it close at all times".He sighed quietly, before his ears perked at the next set of words."Your...going to let me live?" he said.It did make sense a life for a life, but she could have just as easily welched on her debt."Whats to become of me If I'm publicly hung and someone recognizes me walking about, majesty?".He had begun to use her proper title, it seemed only appropriate now that she was going to spare his sorry hide.He sighed quietly in his head as he listened to his thoughts."Perhaps I have been a tad...rude, majesty.I apologize" he said, bowing a bit.It injured his pride slightly, but he at least wanted to be on better ground.

"Your apology is accepted," she replied primly. Finally. Some of the respect she deserved as ruling monarch and sparer of this man's life. But perhaps the fact that she was going to spare him his life meant much more to him than her being his queen. Well that was frustrating, but somewhat understandable. At least he was showing respect and that's what mattered. "I'm surprised your father didn't tell you, even when he was on his deathbed the truth behind that necklace. It's a story a proud father should say to his son. It's not an every day occurrence, when a common man saves the life of the one and only heir to the kingdom?" the queen stated, her voice strangely soft now. He looked surprised at her decision. And probably should be. A lesser person could have refused to acknowledge the debt. Goodness, she know some of her nobles wouldn't even give a damn if the son of the person who saved their life was in trouble. If it was a commoner, then they didn't matter.

"Yes, I'm letting you live. Calestelial does not break her promises. I promised your father a debt, and now you are the only one who can accept it," she proclaimed, "But I meant what I said to Hallinor you will be dead. A double of yours will be publicly executed as for yourself... your true punishment will be banishment from Hallinor. I cannot allow a man who is supposed to be dead, a man who broke the law to roam the streets of my kingdom. That is my compromise. The law gets the blood it demands but my debt to your father is in now way violated." This was her brilliant idea, her compromise. She would create the double herself and she would keep the real one hidden away- a secret.

He stared quietly into the abyss as she spoke, contemplating silently before he spoke."A double of me?" he said curiously, gazing up to look at her.He folded his arms sternly as he spoke."My father wasn't a proud father, he loathed me.However if there is one thing I garnered before his death, it's to take the consequences to ones actions.If another man is to be hung in my place, then I'm afraid this is a debt you can not repay to me" he said with a tone of finalty.No one deserved to die for his crimes, he wasn't like that.Even if it meant death, he would not allow it, it would make him no better than a common thug or murderer.There was no honor in letting another die in ones place.

A dark look crossed the queen's face at the words the man was saying. All the control she had built over these last years in her reign, slipped away and she was back to the fiery, temper prone person she had been when she was a girl. "You would think I would sentence another man, an innocent man to die in your place?" she hissed her eyes sending blue daggers towards the thief's way. "What kind of person do you think I am? No, not person. A monster to let someone else die because of your mistakes," Calestelial continued on, her voice radiating with anger. And privately to herself she added and her mistakes as well. If she hadn't put herself in danger all those years ago... "Of course another person won't die in your place, when I said a double... I meant a double that I would create using magic, not a double in the other way," she stated, her voice slightly calming down. Still this got under her skin more than anything else he said. To think that she would perform murder in order to repay a debt. She thought not! And she hoped she made her parent very clear.

"Alright alright!.I didn't mean to presume on your majesty's character" he said with a sour look."A double in that sense of the word is fine, but with all due respect what am I to do outside of this kingdom?.I've got no connections, no work, no home.You'd be kicking me out to a fate much worse than death majesty" he said quietly.It was the truth, her kingdom was the only fair one around, thieves never lasted long anywhere else, and he had no other trade with which to ply.

The queen reverted back to the normally calm mask she wore to the world, looking quite satisfied that she had made her point. Served him right for assuming such awful things about her character! A thoughtful look took over her features as she considered his words. He was right. How careless she had been! If she banished him to another kingdom, he would only continue to be leech off of society! And then her hard work at preserving his life would have been for nothing. Yes, he deserved punishment but everyone also deserved a chance at redemption. "Since you were caught thieving around my palace, I assume you're desperate enough to be a thief and thief alone. Therefore, you need yourself a new career!" suggested the queen, the brightest of smiles appearing on her features. Before he could say anything to bring her good mood down, she added, "And I'll help you find it yourself, since obviously I'm the only ally you will have. I'll train you and educate you myself." It was ridiculous how happy this made Calestelial. After all, she had a new project... a project that could totally revolutionize someone else's life and well... that made her so happy. That's what being a good royal was all about, right? To better the lives of the subjects of her kingdoms. Although technically after he was dead to the public he wouldn't be her subject anymore.

His eyes rolled silently as she gazed away for a moment as he sighed."Ugh...I've already got education madam.I'm simply not hireable" he stated blatantly.He had received the best education money could buy, no one hired him because he was over qualified.Since he wasn't noble, he wasn't guaranteed a job, infact he had the slightest of chances of getting any form of job."Besides I doubt there's anything you can teach me I can use in a practical setting majesty".He wasn't being offensive, it was just the truth.Her prim and proper ways were simply an annoyance outside of a palace, it made things more difficult than they needed to be.

It was almost as if the queen was... pouting? Why ever would the proud young queen pout over something insignificant such as this matter? "If you have an education, then why don't you be a tutor?" inquired the blonde, "Or you could always be some rich person's manservant. Some nobles are exactly quite snobby about the people who touch them... wouldn't want to be touched by someone who's not educated. Or why not open a shop in whatever chosen kingdom you wish to go to? Really I'm sure between the two of us we can think of some honest work, so you won't ever end up in a situation like this ever again." Her voice darkened, "I really dislike thieves, so to be able to contribute to reducing the thief population... even by one, and without loss of life, would actually be quite satisfying to me." Although her voice had darkened, by the end of that sentence Calestelial had been smiling brightly as before. Despite the fact that he didn't believe she knew anything useful in a "practical setting," the queen decided to brush it off. It was no where near as offensive as the fact that she would kill another to repay her debt. "You really don't think I know anything outside my pretty palace walls do you?" she asked, "Of course I can't teach you exactly like a noble. But there is knowledge that can be applied anywhere!" That's when she realized she was missing a key element. Leaning over her royal desk, those blue eyes intense on the goal at hand, "If you could pursue any job you wanted, what would it be?" If she knew that, then she would do her best to make it come true. It would be tough... she'd have to figure out how to get outside help without letting them know the truth... or wait. What if she set him up with someone in another kingdom? She could have someone she really trusted inquire about it, she did have those who were loyal to her no matter what. But first she would have to find out what he wanted to do in the first place.

He grumbled quietly as she spoke, sitting down and folding one leg over the other."I've only ever been a thief, I've no Idea what else I'd do outside of toying with locks, doors and hinges" he said."There isn't a locking system in all the land I've not found the weakness of, why I've broken out of jail so many times It'd make your head spin" he mused with a grin.There was nothing quite like fooling the system, unlocking something meant to be kept away.The thrill of defiling the thoughts of security the locks provided there owners with was his real prize.To know that he could defy the very principles of it was why he stole, though perhaps he could find new pleasure in locks, one of the opposite nature.A lock smith was what he wanted to be, he wanted to correct the mistakes in the current set of hardware, make it harder for other thieves to crack.A grin spread across his face as he spoke.

"A locksmith majesty, I wish to dabble in locksmithing" he said casually, folding his fingers in his lap as he chuckled.

Upon hearing that the man before her had only been a thief and wasn't sure what to do, the woman couldn't help but shake her head and click her tongue in disappointment. Did he really think he could survive life like that? Well granted some people did, but the queen couldn't see why people would want to do it. Why they wouldn't attempt to better their lot. She understood that in some cases, thievery was the only way one could eat. And well if she had the power to do so, no one would ever go hungry in her kingdom ever again. But that just wasn't meant to be. This world was a cruel place and the only thing she could do was help alleviate some of the cruelness. "I really don't want to know how many times you've broken out of jail," commented Calestelial dryly. Really she didn't. If she knew how lax security was in the kingdom it would make her sick. When he said that he wanted to try to be a locksmith, she beamed brightly at him. Now that what was one called using their powers for good. "I approve, it's something you have a little bit of knowledge in... or at least the dark side of it," said the queen. But now the problem was.... how in the world was she supposed to find him a locksmith? If it was magic, she could help him. "Now I just to have find you a master locksmith to take you as his apprentice and then we'll done with it. I suppose I could look into it myself... but that might prove to be difficult. But now at least we have some place to start with for your new life," she stated, racking her brain for good ideas.

Suddenly an Idea crept into his head like a cat, circling around his brain, clawing it up until it settled down to purr."Your majesty, If I might make a suggestion?" he inclined.He stroked his chin as he began to pace the room."In all honesty, this is the only kingdom I've run across with less than lackluster lockery" he said."No-one has yet seen my face, nor am I really important anywhere in the outside world".A chuckle played off his lips before he continued."Rather than declare my execution and have me hung in public, why not simply declare a thief was slain by the palace guard whilst trying to pilfer your goodies".It was a somewhat risky Idea, but he would be willing to change his Identity entirely."I could work on your watch to better secure the kingdom, keep others of my Ilk out.Especially keep out the ones who're less scrupulous and seek to harm others to attain what they want.I'm sure a mother could rest easy knowing her child is truly safe after dark when the doors are locked".He bowed deeply to her as he generalized his proposal."Your majesty, I propose I work for you, here in this kingdom, to better the security for both the nations good and...well obviously being caught again isn't an option is it?" he mused.

Listening intensely to the thief's suggestion, the queen considered his words. It would be risky, but it was obvious that the security everywhere in her kingdom was not worthy of her high expectations. If he could fix it... well that would make things better. She would be repaying her debt to his family as well as giving him a new life. But there were some kinks that needed to be worked out. "The only problem with that is what do I do about the guard who just brought you in?" she inquired, her voice soft so no one would be able to hear. But then again, she had all ready spelled the room to make it impossible for eavesdroppers to hear. After all, she did conduct a lot of business in here and it wouldn't do if her enemies caught word of her more sensitive plans. "Would I rewrite his memory so he believes he killed you in a fit of fury when he caught you? Or do I create a double now... trying to escape and let him kill the double, thinking he killed you? Hmmm... both are risky. And what about yourself? Your face may not be well known, but that guard is going to remember. You're obviously going to have to change your looks a little bit and if he gets suspicious say you're his brother or whatnot. Something like that," suggested Calestelial. "But if we can make it work, I definitely accept your services. And what is your name, good sir?" she asked, realizing she didn't even know his name. If he was going to work for her then she needed to know his name, right?

(I apologize for not being on lately, life matters came up and RP went to the side.I'm back now though).

He stroked his chin quietly, he hadn't thought of that.Of course killing the guard was absolutely out of the question, only thugs killed, and he most certainly wasn't a thug.His fingers tapped at his shaven face before he grinned."Simply tell the guard I escaped into the night.You can always claim I was caught soon after and executed" he said with a chuckle."As for disguise, It shall not be a problem majesty.I'm a master in deceit" he said proudly."I've already got several alternate identities with perfect alibis.As for my name majesty, you may call me Rastigan" he said with a small chuckle and a curt smile."It will be quite a pleasure working for you majesty, security is rather lax in this kingdom and if I cant burglar people well.No one else should be able to either" he said coyly.

Back
Top Bottom