Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A Knight's Valor (Luneiya & captain_bond)

"Your Grace," Nolan began without preamble, "the Greatest of the Gold Dragons, Vilthenax, bids leave to cross the borders of the Triumvirate. He sends this message through me, a Dragon Whisperer." Then he recounted his experience in Isadora's chambers in full, leaving nothing out. Upon the completing of his tale, he drew himself up to his full height, and spoke formally, and not without some self-pride: "By your leave, Sire, as laid down by ancient rite and tradition, should Vilthenax or any other Dragon accept me as its rider, I claim the rank and position of Lord Commander of the Royal Guard, by virtue of being a Dragon Rider and Whisperer." He then dropped to his knee and bowed his head, as he had when he had taken his knightly vows.

The king listened carefully, considering Nolan with an inscrutable expression. He had that power, it seemed. No matter what was being said, he was an enigma to read.

He rose as Nolan fell, coming to stand before the knight. Rather than a sword placed upon his shoulders, it was the king's own hands. "Son," He began, eyes softening slightly, "You bear us glad tidings. Glad indeed. I hear your petition. If such a time comes, and I hope mightily it does, it would be a great joy to bequeath you this title. I know you'll do us all proud." He removes his hands, indicating that the knight may rise.

Isadora, by contrast, looked far away, still seated on the couch. She had a bit of a polite smile attached to her, but her eyes were distant.

The king gestured that the two of them should sit again, and he does so. "Pray, tell us what you've made of the situation so far, and what you would do next." It was a test, in a way. The king had rarely ever spoken to Nolan of political matters. It was not Nolan's place to comment. Now, though, as a potential Lord Commander, the king wanted to see how Nolan's education and temperament fared.

"Well, Sire," Nolan began, taking the seat when it was offered by his regent, "time is of the essence here. The envoy of the Dragons is a great leader among them, this I could feel. His brethren will need him back soon, to ensure they keep holding the line. However, it will come as a shock to many to see a dragon, even one that shan't bring destruction upon them. I propose we inform the realm at large of all that has transpired. The presence of dragons that stand ready to defend the Triumvirate may inspire the common folk to join the royal armed forces." Turning to Isadora, he took her hand. "Is something the matter, my Princess?" It was a title that few others called her, as she was no one's as of yet, but it had taken a meaning over the years that he was there for her to tell whatever needed telling.

The king regards Nolan calmly, resting his hand on his chin. When Nolan is finished, he replies, "Yes, just so. I think that will do nicely. I'll have the scribe send out a missive to the criers on the morrow. Also..." He busies himself about some papers, looking for something.

When Nolan's hand finds Isadora's, she looks to him as if startled, then blushes a bit, her cheeks pulling up in a tight, embarrassed smile. "All is well," She says to him before her eyes flick to her father. For some reason, she was embarrassed- particularly so because her father was here to witness her reaction. Returning her gaze to her knight, she continues, "I... it's just a lot to think on." Her brow furrows the way it does when she has more to say, but if Nolan tries to ask more, she'll dart her eyes to her father, indicating that they should speak more when they're alone.

The king would show Nolan a few more documents and ask him a few more questions about the state of things. He'd also provide the two of them some more information on the situation at large and how things had changed with Nolan's revelation. There was much to do tomorrow and in the coming days, to be certain.

Nolan gave Isadora a slight nod in understanding before returning his attention to the King and the matter at hand. "What response shall I give Vilthenax, Sire?", he asked as they busied themselves with the documents and the other papers. The whole experience was overwhelming and more than a little exciting, but underneath it all, he hoped that Isadora would appreciate what he was about to do. "If I may, it would be much easier for him to fly here, than it would be to send me to the Triumvirate's border. If he flew high, he would not alarm anyone between here and the border with his presence, and we would need only use speed to tell the capital's residents what to expect." Clearing his throat, he added, "Remember, Sire, that he is a leader amongst his kind. No army should meet the foe without its general."

The king considered Nolan's words and then nodded. "Very good, then. Please, proceed." Despite his usual stoicism, the king seemed a little... enthralled... by the idea? There was a bit of a twinkle in his eye, and his mouth pulled up just a bit at the corner. Funnily enough, he looked and sounded just a bit like Isadora when doing so. She, of course, would have gotten it from him, but there were so rarely cracks in his facade that Nolan would probably associate the expression more with Isadora than with her father.

Isadora smiled just slightly at her father's tone. She looked to Nolan as well, then, though she still seemed a bit weighed down.

"Right." Closing his eyes, Nolan concentrated on whatever part of him was receptive to Vilthenax's words, and thought, Come forth, and fly high. The word is not yet spread throughout the lands of your willingness to help. Best to remain out of sight for the time being. After a few moments, the ancient dragon replied: Very well, Whisperer. Expect me at daybreak. Fare thee well. Opening his eyes, Nolan said, "He'll be here at sunup. We should alert the city as soon as possible."

"Good," replied the king. Although his voice was measured, there was still a spark of that childlike-excitement hiding just behind his tone. The king makes the required preparations, calling a few people in to give orders and delivering a few written messages. He talks and consults with the two in the meantime.

After that work is complete, he settles back against the couch. "That should do for that, then. Anything else?" He asks, looking between them.

"Just that I would like to request that we have the scholars begin copying the ancient histories in the archives, about the last Dragon War, and that they go forth in the coming days and educate the populace about what happened--including how some of the dragons were willing to help. After all, those who cannot read, needs must learn from those who can. Other than that, I wish merely to take a walk with the Princess. I believe we both could use the distraction, temporary as it may turn out to be." Nolan reached over and laid his hand gently on Isadora's arm, and asked, "What about you, my Princess? Is there anything else you wish to say?" Nolan couldn't help but also feel a great deal of excitement, and it showed in his mannerisms just like the King's, but he also felt a great weight of responsibility. If a Dragon accepted him as its rider, he'd not only be one of the principal means of communicating between them, but he'd also lead the Royal Guard. All his young adult and adult life he'd been preparing for that, but there was still that ever-present uncertainty, the doubt that he would be up to the task. This warred with the excitement in his outward demeanor.

"Very good," Says the king in response to Nolan's suggestion to educate the populace. Was that a hint of admiration in his tone? If there was any sort of test occurring, it would seem Nolan had acquitted himself well.

Nolan and Isadora had grown up together, so Nolan's friendly touch was not amiss between them at all, nor was it strange for the king to witness their closeness. Of course, such displays would not be seemly in public, but the trio had long since moved past too much formality in this chamber. Food had come and gone as they worked, thanks to Lydia, no doubt. There was the slightest shift in the king's demeanor as he regarded the exchange, but it was difficult to tell what his feelings were, exactly. He was stone-faced as always.

Isadora smiles at Nolan, her eyes crinkling particularly when he calls her 'his' princess. She always seemed to enjoy that. Her features were still drawn somewhat, but they hadn't had a chance to talk in private yet, so that was, perhaps, to be expected. "A walk sounds lovely, thank you," She replies to him, drawing to her feet. She bids her father goodnight and proceeds with Nolan out to the garden hedge maze where they may walk and talk undisturbed and unscrutinized.

She would be quiet for some time, just taking in the evening sounds as they strolled along. She had on what he described as her "thinking" face. The words would take a while yet to come forth and couldn't be rushed. Finally, though, without looking at him, she would say softly, "Everything is... changing."

"It is," Nolan said as they walked. "I...have an idea. Before this begins in earnest, we should organize...something, for you and your father and I and whomever else needs to be there. A hunt, perhaps. I'm not certain, but consider it one last hurrah before all the insanity begins." He walked with her for a little while longer, before starting slightly. "I'm sorry, you weren't finished, were you? Please, don't let me interrupt." He'd been so preoccupied with everything else that he missed the signs that she wasn't through speaking.

She was looking to him patiently as he spoke, a light smile playing across her features. She stopped walking, though, as he drew attention to her unsaid words. Isadora lowers her head, having a bit of difficulty getting the next ones out or looking at him.

"You.... It's all fantastic, of course, but you... will have other... responsibilities, soon. Responsibilities... that..." She tries not to let her voice break and manages somewhat, "You will... Someone else will have to...." Her brow furrows.

"Oh!" Understanding flashed in his eyes, as well as the implications of what she'd said. "Fortunately, you've based this on the example of Ser Byron, whose ascent to the position of Lord Commander of the Royal Guard was less a martial one and more a political one. The Lord Commander is not supposed to sit on his rotund arse all day and bark orders. He is meant to do what he did since the day he put on the armor for the first time: protect the Royal family. So I'll do that. I'll keep protecting you, being here for you, and I'll have to tell some people what the dragons want me to tell them, and oh, did I mention that if they accept me as a rider, the two of us could probably fly off somewhere and spend time together? Wouldn't that be exciting?" He placed his hands on her shoulders, then pulled her into a hug. "I'm not gonna be charging into the fray, not unless you've suddenly become a General. No? Then I'm not going anywhere. As always."

Last edited:
"Well no," She smiles lightly at his crass description of the Lord Commander's role, "But..." Her brow furrows, "If there really is to be a war..." She furrows her brow, looking up at him, "You don't think they'll want the Lord Commander with them on the front lines? If they ask..." She looks up at him with concern, "It would be... bad form, at the very least, to refuse." She was understating it, of course, but she did not wish to pressure him.

She looks away, "My father would probably think to have you replaced in your role as my personal knight, or... maybe not..." She paces, "I don't know," She thinks hopefully back on all of their interactions with her father. Would he really not see what promoting Nolan out of her service would do to her?

His hands on her shoulders and then around her in an embrace steady her somewhat, though the racing of hear heart inexplicably picks up. She clings on to his armor, cheek pressed against it, feeling the barrier of metal between him and her ever-more keenly now. "You can't promise that," She says softly.

"Let me tell you something," Nolan said, walking with Isadora through the maze. "Your father would never let you out of my sight. In fact, all those years ago, when I first put on the armor of the Royal Guard, I made him promise me that no matter what happened, I will always be the one to protect you. And you know what he said?" A smile crinkled his face as he continued. "He said, 'Nolan, young man, I would not have given you that armor if I wanted you anywhere but at my daughter's side. War or peace, famine or plenty, good or ill, by my honor as the King, you shall never be put anywhere else.' He even wrote it as a decree and set it in the records of the Royal Guard. I can't speak to why he didn't want to tell you, but regardless, it's all true. Plus, he knows full well that at no time in history has the Royal Guard ever served on the front lines except when their royal charges did. Which is why I made that quip about you becoming a General." He hadn't even realized that they'd arrived at the center of the maze, and he looked up at the beautiful statue of an Elf man and woman, a Dwarf man and woman, and a Human man and woman. The words "Long Live the Gladefall Triumvirate" were inscribed around its base in Common, Elvish and Dwarvish. "It's still somewhat early. How about we play a game to take your mind off?"

Last edited:
Isadora looks up at him hopefully as he continues, a sort of embarrassed smile finding its way to her face. "Ah," She replies, blushing a bit, looking forward along the path, "It's probably because I gave him a hard time for a while about treating me... differently. I was very insistent, for a time, on him not babying me." This after the time that she was most definitely spoiled. She would like to think she had grown a bit since then. Embarrassment aside, she was very glad that her father had disregarded her wishes to ensure that Nolan stayed beside her.

The iron grip of anxiety begins to ease, and she takes some steadying breaths. "Yes, let's," She replies to his suggestion, tapping her hands to her cheeks as if to wake herself from her melancholy.

"Okay, what would you like to play?" Nolan was probably the only person at court who didn't just let her win at games because she was the Princess, and he got the idea she appreciated that immensely. As he waited for Isadora to decide, he made a circuit of the statue, running his hand along the base; it was high enough that one could read the inscriptions at eye level. "Honestly, there's no one I'd rather spend time with than you, Izzy. They could parade the most beautiful women in the world before me, and my thoughts would be on when I would next see you again." Not realizing that the statue was enchanted, he blinked and lifted his hand from the marble, then flushed crimson as he realized what he had said.

Isadora begins thinking, resting her hand upon her chin as she strolls about, when Nolan's words suddenly become... different. She freezes in place- she wasn't currently facing him- as his words whirl within her head. Warmth rushes to her cheeks.

Suddenly, his oddly forthright words and manner of speaking make sense. The statue commemorating the founding of the alliance, of the Gladefall Triumverate, pulls positive thoughts about others from you... confessions of truth from the heart. It had been enchanted thus in the spirit of goodwill and forming new bonds, but Isadora had a sneaking suspicion that the head enchantress was also trying to get the Dwarven king and that elven princess to get over themselves and finally confess to each other. Seeing as the two were now married (and the alliance was formed, of course,) the enchantress must be quite pleased with herself.

Then, that meant... he actually thought...

She still can't bear to look at him, frozen as she was, but this new bit of information from Nolan had her... questioning things. Rethinking things. Was he not just her knight and truest friend? Her heart was beating fast.

She looks just a bit over her shoulder at him before gazing up at the sky. "It's... ah... enchanted." She says, hoping to offer some explanation for his confusion. She puts all of her princessly coordination into continuing her walking motion as she would have were she not interrupted. Isadora finishes her path sitting at one of the outdoor game tables, facing just slightly away from him as she composes herself.

"Oh, is it? Now I remember." Nolan actually recovered quite quickly from his embarrassment, and walked over to the outdoor gaming table and said, "Is there something you'd like to get off of your chest, my Princess?" The way he looked at her and spoke, was the way he did when he was attempting to convince her to do something. It worked almost every time. "Go over and touch it, lest we regret the road not taken." He didn't realize it, but that was the first time he'd ever not ended such a sentence with a question. Not that he was being belligerent or disrespectful, he simply wasn't asking for once. After tomorrow, much would change, but much would also remain the same. This was one of his primary thoughts as he set up the enchanted chess pieces, that literally followed your commands as if they were your troops and you the general.

Isadora felt bad for him, so this turnaround of the event left her quite shocked. "Nolan!" She grinned, scandalized, and he got the impression she might've shoved him playfully were he in reach. True, that look did have her heart beating a million miles a minute, but it was all just too overwhelming to consider doing anything but floundering in the shock. As he carefully begins to set up all the pieces, all she can do is resort to their usual humor.

Isadora crosses her arms and asks archly, "Did you truly forget it was enchanted?"

"I did, truly. I suppose I got lost in thought of what's in store." Having finished setting up the board, he got up, and went over to her, gently putting his hands on her shoulders. "Come on. Don't be afraid," he spoke softly as he began to gently steer her towards the statue. "It's okay. I'm right here." When they were close enough, he slid a hand down to her wrist and slowly extended her hand out towards the marble, and assuming she didn't struggle, he'd press her hand gently against it.

"What?!" She gasped, shocked, as he attempted to steer her over. She ducks out from underneath his arm, stepping behind him. She crosses her own arms and regards him archly, "I'll do nothing of the sort." Her tone was short and commanding, "Come now, are we playing or not?"

Isadora's reaction stung. It was tantamount to a rejection, of his feelings, of him. Or at least that's how it felt to him in the moment. Drawing himself up to his full height, he couldn't help the tears that started to fall as he said, in the most formal tone he'd ever used with her, "No, Your Grace. I don't think so." He then spun on his heel and marched off, shouting at a soldier at the entrance to the courtyard to find one of the other members of the Royal Guard.

Isadora was still reeling from her own sense of overwhelm, so to add this atop was more than she could comprehend in the moment. Somehow, she could remain calm and composed in the most stressful council meetings, but Nolan could have her out of sorts in an instant. He was the only one she ever got into personal fights with anymore. The only one she was close enough to, perhaps, though such a thing had not occurred for quite some time.

"Nolan-" She tries, holding out her hand when she sees his reaction, but it appears to be too late.

She had her own reasons for being so loathe to touch the statue, but it seemed she would not get a chance to share those tonight. Perhaps she wasn't aware of all of them herself just yet. Her mind was still trying to catch up with his confession and the way he looked and-

... stop... breathe.

It was something she could hear Nolan saying to her in her mind's eye, his hands on her shoulders, a steadying presence. Tears begin to prick her own eyes. The guard who accompanies her back to her room is mercifully stoic.

What had she done... She would need Nolan more than ever for the trials to come on the morrow, but she had hurt him deeply. She could see the betrayal in his expression. It stabbed her memory and wrapped itself around her consciousness.

It'll be alright, won't it?

Ser Nolan of Carleone, one of the most steadfast members of the Royal Guard, was having a tantrum in his quarters like an eight-year old. Armor pieces were flung across the room, the Royal Guard cloak that was fastened to the armor--white and gold quartered, with the coat of arms of the Human Kingdom combatant with the coat of arms of the Triumvirate*--cast on the flagstones like a whore's dress. He downed a shot of vodka, only to fling the small glass into the fireplace, where it shattered and the small dregs that remained caught fire and briefly provided a brilliant light show before the fire returned to normal. Love had utterly destroyed him, and he required peace, quiet, and most of all, solitude to put himself back together.

But for now, he slept, his rest fitful and full of dreams of what might have been with Isadora. Waking at roughly four in the morning, he wondered what woke him when he heard a voice in his head. It was Vilthenax. You are troubled, Whisperer. I am sorry. I shall make this brief. A matter requires my urgent attention, and I shall be unable to fly to your city this day or for many days hence. Nolan sighed, running his hands through his hair and down his face before replying, I understand. Please be safe, as safe as you can in this trying time. The dragon replied, Hah! I thank you for your concern, as unnecessary as it is. No, my daughter is finally about to give birth, and amongst dragons, a new member of our race coming into the world always takes priority. Smiling, Nolan said, Congratulations. Now, if you will excuse me. Vilthenax said, Of course, of course. Fare thee well. The mental conversation now over, Nolan rose from the bed and, after neatly assembling his Royal Guard armor and cloak on the stand that stood in the room, crossed to the writing desk.

Pulling parchment, ink, and quill closer to him, he dipped the quill into the ink pot and began to write two letters. The first was to the King.

Sire,

There are two matters which must be brought to your attention. The first is the postponement of the meeting with Vilthenax. His daughter is with child and is close to giving birth, and in dragon culture there is no higher priority. Perhaps this will bring some small measure of relief to the people, and will give everyone more time to get used to the idea of a dragon landing in our midst.
The second matter is of a far more personal nature. Isadora and I had what could best be described as a fight last night, or perhaps it's less two-sided than all that. Regardless, she has wounded me deeply, and I require time away from court to deal with this. I am already breaking her confidence by telling you anything is amiss at all, but if anyone could possibly understand, it is you. There is a small cottage less than two days' ride from here, although I shall not divulge more, in the event you view this as a desertion of my duties and a violation of my oath. I assure you it is not, although I will not blame you if emotion clouds your judgement in this matter. My own emotions are certainly preventing me from carrying out my duty effectively, which makes this unusual action necessary, if difficult.

I only plan to remain away for less than a week, unless circumstances wrought by an angry father and King force me to remain away for longer.

I remain your faithful and loyal Knight,

Ser Nolan of Carleone

Folding the first letter and sealing it with the emblem of the Human branch of the Royal Guard, he pulled another parchment towards him and wrote the second letter to Isadora.

Goodbye, my love.
Nolan

This he did not seal, merely folded it. Rising from the desk, he packed a rucksack for a week in the woods bordering the capital, as he had no idea what the state of the cabin would be like. Cinching his swordbelt against a leather jerkin over a sage green shirt, black breeches and riding boots, he wrapped himself in a brown cloak and stopped by the armory, taking a newly-designed spear from a barrel that contained fifty of them. The shaft was made of metal, hollow, and it separated in two places. But instead of having to assemble the weapon manually, a stretchy piece of a new material made from the rubber tree that ran the length of the inside of the shaft allowed the weapon to be pulled out of a bag or pack in its collapsed state and brought to readiness in less than three seconds in trained hands. The blacksmith that had designed it received a king's ransom--literally--for his innovation and now produced arms and armor exclusively for the Triumvirate's knights.

Stashing the spear in his pack, he slipped the king's letter beneath his door, and then Isadora's, the guards on duty paying him no mind. They presumably believed that whatever was in the letters was between him and their recipients. In a way, they were correct. When he made his way to the stables, he immediately saddled his black destrier, Drogon, and left the castle and the city through small, postern gates.

*Since the Triumvirate is governed jointly by Elves, Dwarves, and Humans, the Royal Guard as a whole numbers thirty knights. Ten to guard the Human King and his family, ten to guard the Elven Queen and her family, and ten to guard the Dwarven King and his family. Each group of ten wear cloaks with the coat of arms of their own race's Kingdom, combatant with the coat of arms of the Triumvirate.

Back
Top Bottom