Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Music while Writing

I tend to listen to a lot of lofi, synthwave, ambient stuff when Im writing/playing games. Just because it gets me more in the zone. Anything with too many lyrics though and I get distracted.

I’m one of those people who loves to have music playlists for stories, and attach theme songs to characters, and will listen to music separately from writing to help reflect on what I need to do. But music during writing? Not really.

Music from the Baroque era has been shown to improve cognitive abilities. I used to listen to a lot of it as a student and it definitely helped me. So I often play some Purcell or Monteverdi when writing, especially harpsichord stuff.

It depends on the mood I'm writing in, but I tend towards smooth jazz when I'm trying to write in earnest, unless I'm writing historic fiction, when I try to find something similar to the tone I'm going for (dark cello for gothic horror for example).

I will listen to music when writing both to listen to it and as an excuse for why I'm not paying attention to or trying to have conversations with people that decide they have to talk at me at that moment.

I do the same thing with work. I work from home and my roommates can't grasp the idea that just because they're home doesn't mean I need to drop everything to listen to them

I’m one of those people who loves to have music playlists for stories, and attach theme songs to characters, and will listen to music separately from writing to help reflect on what I need to do. But music during writing? Not really.
You're somewhat like me fr.

For me it is more about helping me focus on writing, to block out external distractions you might say. It usually doesn't matter much what I listen to but I find that instrumental music is more helpful. Usually this means either jazz of classical music, but also drone metal or dark ambient.

Listening to music is a necessity while I write out large chunks of text, but sometimes I'll turn it off if I need to really focus on some very specific details, y'know?

As a self-proclaimed music-junkie I am always listen to music while writing, and in general always when I have the chance to put it on. I mostly listen to the same stuff I listen in general, but I do prefer instrumental, atmospheric, heavy, progressive, experimental, anime/game OST and retro-electronic music while writing. Won't bother listing genres since we'd be here the whole day, but anything from Aphex Twin to Lorna Shore, Carpenter Brut to John Coltrane and from Burzum to Cardcaptor Sakura OST goes. As long as it's music I like.

Here's an album and a band I've been listening a lot recently while writing:

As a self-proclaimed music-junkie I am always listen to music while writing, and in general always when I have the chance to put it on. I mostly listen to the same stuff I listen in general, but I do prefer instrumental, atmospheric, heavy, progressive, experimental, anime/game OST and retro-electronic music while writing. Won't bother listing genres since we'd be here the whole day, but anything from Aphex Twin to Lorna Shore, Carpenter Brut to John Coltrane and from Burzum to Cardcaptor Sakura OST goes. As long as it's music I like.

Here's an album and a band I've been listening a lot recently while writing:

Based music taste, you got a favorite aphex twin album?

Based music taste, you got a favorite aphex twin album?
Thank you!

Selected Ambient Works 85-92 is probably my favorite one. It was my introduction to ambient music with artists like Vangelis, Brian Eno and Jean Michel Jarre so it holds a special place in my heart.

I Care Because You Do and Richard D. James Album would make my TOP 3, but his discography is extremely solid and honestly I can't really think of an album or EP I would consider a bad one exactly.

Back
Top Bottom