Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Wanting Opnion on 5E Subclass

Beauvoir

Female Cenobite
So we’re currently doing a campaign with gestalt. I’m pretty new to dnd just a couple years playing on and off, weekly, bi-weekly, monthly. Anyway currently my classes are a homebrew caster called the puppeteer and a monk. At the moment my monastic tradition is way of the ascendant dragon because it really connects with the backstory. I’m thinking of changing it though because it’s giving me a bunch of features I already have like wings and dragon’s breath. I found this homebrew monastic tradition on Pinterest and was wanting to get a few DnD veterans opinions on it. It would also make sense for backstory as my character is a fallen angel.

I’ve never played a monk before and I’m not great with the finer points so opinions would be appreciated!

Without knowing the level of power that your table utilizes it's hard to give opinions but, at a glance, this homebrew is incredibly disjointed and rather overpowered in certain areas.

I did a search to find the original homebrew just to see what others said about it and the first comment sums up my opinions with it as well honestly so I'll just quote that here rather than re-hash the same points. I will add though that nothing about this feels like a monk tradition in the slightest. All the abilities it provides would make just as much sense for a sorcerer, barbarian, or fighter by comparison in my opinion and that's never a good sign when making homebrew for a specific class.

AlasBabylon_

I would honestly drop the spellcasting altogether. The rest of the subclass doesn't care about the spells whatsoever, and it's an extra resource on top of the ki points that monks get that they really don't need.

Your abilities also call on multiple different abilities for its DCs - your spells and basic monk abilities need Wisdom, but another uses Charisma, and two others need Constitution. On a class that heavily wants to care about Dexterity and Wisdom, trying to branch out further will constrain your options and require you to neglect something.

The healing is unreasonably strong, giving you unparalleled regeneration from an early level and ensuring you're never below half health between fights, as it has no limit. Compare this to the triple-your-monk-level heal that Open Hand monks get once per day.

Finally, the last two abilities are basically "Here's how to do more damage", which feels a little boring. Sun Soul has the alternate fireball-esque ability, but then it capstones with a defensive aura. Mix it up a little, I'd say.

And this does overall sound like I'm asking you to rewrite the whole subclass, which isn't quite my intention, but I would find a stricter lane or two to follow - resilience and quasi-magical abilities, perhaps - and embrace them more, rather than give the monk a bunch of disjointed abilities in hopes that it works out. It's not bad for a first homebrew, but "Fiendish monk" is going to be kind of tricky to pull off; take a closer gander at what monk subclasses normally offer and stray a bit closer to those lanes, with some spice thrown in to sell the flavor to your needs.

Back
Top Bottom