Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Lunar Duality (Spitfire x katuzov)

She swallowed hard and shook head, "I don't understand. Why would they want us to...?" Biting her lip, she looked him in the eyes. She couldn't deny that she still wanted him. Confused as she was about the stones and what they were actually meant to do with them, she did know for certain that if he was hers, she was his. One word kept repeating over and over in her mind as she looked down at him from her perch on his lap.

Mine.

Whatever the stones had done to them, the effect wasn't completely gone. She didn't even know how else she was supposed to claim him. He'd walked her to class, holding hands and pretty clearly declared a couple. He'd had sex with her. What else could she do? Make him carry her books to class like some '50s teen couple? That seemed more than a little ridiculous. So she guessed that was it. He was hers. The stones were done.

But something nagged at her. "Why would the stones want us to... do the thing? Do they gain some energy or something by... connecting... in that way?" It stood to reason. Natural magic was the oldest there was and there weren't many human urges as natural as sex. The need to procreate drove a species.

Crap.

Last edited:
Mike sat up, and rested his head in his hands. He felt so torn. On the one hand he was so happy about what had happened. He and Selene... She really was everything he could want, and they had finally been together. And yet... He was so unsure of what to do next. What were these stones that they wore? Where did they come from? What did they want, and why?

He let out a sigh. "Let's start with what we know." It was a poor time to try to figure this out, but he knew he would not sleep with these questions hanging. "The stones work to help control my power. To help keep me from burning everything up. They seem to buzz when we are close. Our family have had them for a long time, and clearly mine worked for my ancestor."

He paused before adding. "It's really not much to go on, is it?"

When he sat up, she moved off his lap to sit next to him. She couldn't help but wonder if he had regrets. Would they have a bundle of regret in nine months? That would certainly kill a budding relationship. Neither of then would be ready for that.

However, while she was high on emotions, he remained logical. What did they know? Not much. She sighed and took his hand. "I know there are more questions than answers and I get the feeling answers will just lead to more questions but... there isn't much we can do about any of it right now." With a shrug, she added, ""Hopefully I'll find something Saturday when my parents and I go through my grandfather's house."

Biting her lip for a moment, she looked into his eyes, "Can we just...? I don't wanna get... I don't regret... doing the thing... with you... and I hope you don't regret me. Maybe we can just... cuddle? I mean if you want to."

Chuckling, Mike began to relax. He couldn't deny the irony, that he was the one trying to get down to business, while she just wanted to enjoy the moment. Almost as if their roles were reversed. However, he could hardly deny Selene. He settled back down, and wrapped his arms around her.

"I don't regret it either. I regret none of what has happened between us. Moonstones be damned, I'm glad we are together. Whatever path we are meant to walk, I'm grateful we get to walk it together."

He took a deep breath and planted a kiss on the top of her head, though his mind kept working, trying to put the pieces of this puzzle together.

With a relieved sigh, she curled up next to him. She smiled and laughed lightly as he kissed her. It was good to hear that he had no regrets as she'd have been mortified if he told her he didn't want to be with her after all. She had no idea what she'd have done but locking herself in the bathroom and crying had crossed her mind in her moment of panic.

Like his, her mind kept mulling over what they knew and the possibilities of what it all meant. She hadn't really believed in cosmic destinies no matter what the School of Divination told their students. All of this left her wondering but she wasn't sure seeking advice from an oracle was the way to go... at least not yet. She knew she'd have to be out of options to ask a seer for help with the moonstones they knew very little about.

She looked into his eyes for a moment before kissing his lips softly. With the desire there, one might have thought she wanted another round but she needed to feel their physical and emotional connection after the stones left her questioning, searching for a definition of what was between them.

Their lips joining, Mike felt a sense of safety and contentment come over him. He found that sleep came very easy to him. Especially after he formed his body around Selene to emphasize her comfort. His dreams were unremembered, but when he woke up he felt quite refreshed. Selene still slept, so Mike exited the bed without disturbing her.

Still remembering the feeling he had gotten from the night before, Mike wanted.... he wasn't sure what he wanted exactly, except to feel like he had last night. To feel like he was...

Hers.

He decided to make her breakfast. How hard could it be?

The smell of burning toast and overdone eggs would likely wake Selene.

With his arms around her and his breathing slowing, Selene felt a renewed sense of comfort and was able to find sleep much faster than she'd expected. Her dreams were of him but ranged in theme. When she awoke, she sighed happily, until she realized he wasn't next to her and she smelled burning. Panicked, she looked around. She hadn't cast the spell but nothing in her room was amiss.

She put on her robe and cautiously opened her bedroom door to find Mike in her kitchen... attempting to cook? Exiting the room and approaching him, she gave him a soft smile, "It was very sweet of you to make breakfast. Thank you."

While part of her had hoped to revisit the physical aspect of their relationship with more kissing, she did appreciate the gesture of the meal. Besides, there were no rules about kissing having to be in the bedroom.

The sound of Selene getting out of bed and his door opening caused Mike to curse. Six times he'd tried to make toast, six pieces of bread were in the trash, burned. The eggs were overcooked so badly that they were inedible.

"I, don't think anything I made should be eaten. I tried, but I think the best stuff that I make probably comes from a restaurant, or maybe the microwave." He chuckled, feeling embarrassed, but then a different sensation overcame him. A pull towards Selene. He could tell that she wanted to kiss him. Of course, he wanted to as well, why fight the stones - which seemed to keep his magic calm and his own desires?

He walked over to her, wrapped his arms around her waist, and placed a kiss on her lips. "It seems I still have a ways to go before I'm fully domesticated."

She smiled into his kiss, savoring the moment before he pulled away. Giggling at his comment, she shrugged, "I'm sure my toaster will survive. And I can get more bread and eggs. If you ruined any of my kitchenware however, you're on thin ice. But I don't expect you to be fully domesticated after only one date."

With a sigh, she gave him a sad sort of look. Saying goodbye the morning after was a new experience and she was decidedly not fond of the prospect. "I have to shower really quick and I'm sure you'll want to go home and get something other than a suit to wear to class. Maybe we can do breakfast at that place you took me to last weekend?"

It was then that she realized if they didn't find a solution to his power problem, they'd practically be living together back and forth between two different apartments. She bit her lip and sighed, "Did you... want to stay here again tonight? It's ok if you'd rather not. I just... We'll need to leave early on Saturday. Maybe around eight or nine?" If she were being honest, she was sure he'd be alright for the day in class and at night alone but a part of her wanted him around. The quiet moments she used to spend by herself had a new companion. She wanted to do something other than study and read. It was new and exciting. He was exciting. Moonstones be damned, she wanted him around.

The fact that they would have to spend the day a part was also beginning to dawn on him. Of course he hoped that his time with her ha sufficiently calmed the torrent of fire that existed within him, but he couldn't be certain. Regardless, he didn't think that attempting to be away from her all day and all night was a good idea. He took a deep breath at the very thought of being on his own all day. "I think staying here might be good, that way we can get on the road bright and early. Plus, I'd like to see you again." He grinned. It was true that he wanted to spend another night with her, and that it'd be easier to get on the road early if they stayed together. He left out that he was scared to be on his own for so long.

"As for breakfast, why don't we go to that diner. We can walk, if that works for you. That way we can get to class right after."

Furrowing her brow, she misread the heavy sigh, "We can stay at your place if you'd prefer. I'll come back here and grab some clothes, then head over." She offered a smile before hugging him close and kissing his cheek. "I'd like to see you again too." With a bite of her lip, she looked up at him, "I umm... Thank you for last night? It was... it felt really good. And I... just... thanks." It was clear she wasn't sure what to say to convey that she wanted more but still didn't know how to initiate the conversation. Perhaps she was hoping she would be better able to when they spend another night together.

However, in her embarrassment she didn't give him a chance to respond, "I'm gonna shower and get dressed. I promise I'll be quick." Feeling stupid yet again, she rushed off to the bedroom, emerging a bit later wearing a green floral dress and sandals. She did hope she liked the way she looked. Another feeling she wasn't used to.

"My place works." He said. To be honest, either location worked just fine for him, but his own bed sounded nice. His right eyebrow raised when she thanked him for the night before, but he just grinned. Her being a bit awkward with sex was nothing new. "You are quite welcome, I really enjoyed it too. Maybe we can see how well it works at my house?" He sat while she showered, and took stook stock. His power seemed quite quelled within him, the raging torrent a distant memory.

It wasn't until she emerged wearing a green floral dress that he realized he was without anything but his suit for the day. Fortunately, the shirt and pants still smelled fresh enough, so he opted to just leave the jacket and tie in the car. Business Casual was a bit dressier than normal for him, but would not look completely out of place. "You look nice." He said smiling. "Shall we get some real breakfast?"

His comment about having sex in his bed was met with a giggle as she retreated to her room.

Seeing him in a dressed down version of the suit from their date stopped her in her tracks. She bit her lip and sighed quietly. He was good looking no matter what he wore but she was quite fond of the idea that he might dress for her as much as she did for him. Logically she knew that was not the case in this situation but she did like the fact that they would look nice together, even for breakfast at a diner.

She gave him a bashful grin at his compliment, "Thank you." Nodding slightly, "Yeah. Breakfast." Then class. Just another Friday. Nothing to see here. Still, she couldn't deny the urge to hold his hand as the made their way out of her apartment and out into the world.

For a moment, she considered what their classmates might say. The pair had started off forced together and only a bit over a week were somehow dating. While it was inexplicable to her, how was she expected to tell anyone else how it all happened? Surely her women's group would be curious and confused, if not entirely disappointed that the first man to catch Selene's eye was a jock and quite possibly one of the men on campus least compatible with her.

She liked him. A lot more than the 'kinda' he'd suggested a few days ago. Their relationship was a blur so far and she was almost certain there was more whiplash to come once they figured out what they were meant to do with the stones. And why they were brought together by them in the first place.

There wasn't much she could do so she decided to just make it through the day and try to figure it all out when she finally had a chance to go through her grandfather's things. It was a task she still dreaded but at least there was hope for answers rather than simply despairing over her loss.

She smiled up at Mike, her mind already fast-forwarding to being in his bed with him again. Her heart raced but she managed to keep herself together. If she was going to make it there, she would have to make it through the day first. That worried her. Would he be alright without her? She had faith in him, but he would have to have faith in himself as well.

Mike walked her out to his car, and drove the two of them to his favorite dinner for breakfast. As they approached, he worried that one of the waitresses might make a comment about seeing the same girl with him more than once. He knew such a thing would be hurtful for Selene, and embarrassing for him. However, though their server gave them a slightly surprised look, she did not mention seeing Selene for a second time, which made Mike breathe a sigh of relief.

Once they were alone in the booth, Mike confided in her. "I'm... I'm worried about being alone in class again. I really hope that I don't have a repeat of Wednesday's incident." It wasn't easy for him to divulge any insecurities, and a smirk formed on his face that didn't touch his eyes. "I'll probably blow up your phone texting you between classes just to tell you that I'm fine."

He tried to sound like he was joking around, but hoped that she would tell him that it'd be quite ok that he check in with her.

Sitting across from him, she gave him a reassuring smile and took one of his hands in both of hers. "You will be fine in class. But," she let out a little giggle, "it's ok if you want to text me. I um... I think it would be nice to get to talk to you throughout the day. We... haven't really done that... before." While the prospect of real relationship activities, outside of the bedroom, were also very new to her, she was looking forward to what being with him out in the world could be like.

After greeting the server with a smile, Selene ordered two pancakes, sausage, and a water. She gave Mike a chance to order and squeezed his hand again after the server left. "It's going to be a good day. I've got catching up to do on a few things so I won't be free for lunch but... dinner? I can make something to bring over?" It was clear that, although she was not a kitchen witch herself, being the daughter of one had an effect. She seemed to genuinely enjoy making food that could bring him comfort.

She couldn't help but feel optimistic that in another twenty-four hours, they could have answers to some of this mystery. For a moment, she wondered how much experimenting they'd have to do if she couldn't find anything but the thought was fleeting. It was rare for her to be any sort of carefree and she was sure it was rarer still for him to be the worrier in any sort of relationship. "It's going to be ok. We're going to figure it out. I promise."

With his order for an omelette put in, Mike began to feel himself settle. He took solace in the comfort Selene offered him, and held her hand and squeezed back. The stone around his neck hummed in contentment.

"Dinner would be excellent, if you don't mind cooking and bringing it over. He felt bad that he didn't have a proper kitchen and ingredients - something to work on in the future. Even more important would possibly be learning how to use said kitchen and ingredients. It wasn't fair that she always had to cook for him. Both were problems for another day. For this day, he was glad he could text her.

"You um..." He hated acting vulnerable, but he thought it better to be up front. The moonstone seemed to agree. "You might hear from me a lot. Being alone all day scares me, maybe more than it should. Knowing that you are there will be a big help."

He grinned, feeling better, "Plus, I really do like talking to you. It'll be fun to hear about how your day is going, and I can regale you with stories from the school of destruction."

"I like talking to you too," she said with a smile. He knew she wasn't interested in stories from the School of Destruction, and it was highly unlikely that he was interested in much of anything to do with her course work, but she humored him with a nod. More than his classes, she wanted to know he was alright without her. She was sure he'd be fine but if he needed her reassurance to be an anchor, she wasn't going to hesitate to be there for him.

"I understand that you're scared but," squeezing his hand again, "you don't have to be. You're strong-willed... and you can master... whatever is happening. And when we figure it all out, you'll already be in control so it'll be that much easier to handle these things." She sighed, feeling bad that he's insecure but uncertain what else to say or do. "But yes, I am here for you. Just text me or... let me know if you need me," gesturing between their necklaces to emphasize her point.

"I think I have an idea of what to make for dinner. Do you like spicy food?"

Spicy food. In truth, Mike had had very little experience with it. Medium was his preferred speed for chicken wings from BW3's. Still, how spicy could Selene really like? Certainly he could handle anything she'd like.

"No." He said with a wink. "I love it."

It was a bluff, he wanted to impress her. Even though she did seem to really like him, his pride made him want to show off. Especially after she complimented him, and his ability to master whatever was happening. He checked his phone. It was getting close to 'that time.'

After paying the check, he offered her a ride to school. The moonstone seemed to like the gesture.

With a grin, she nodded, "I definitely know just the thing."

She looked at her phone as he pointed out the time. Her grin faded into a sad sort of smile. She hadn't been lying. She had faith that he would be fine on his own, but she found herself simply wanting to be with him. The feeling confused her, of course, since she'd never felt that way about anyone. With a quiet 'Thank you' and a nod of agreement, she hoped that at least they'd get to say goodbye. And maybe kiss.

With a bite of her lip, she thought about the eyes that were on them before. She was certain she'd die of embarrassment. Not that she was ashamed of being with him but that she'd garner attention she didn't want. The mismatched pair couldn't afford undue speculation about what they were doing together. Still, she wanted to cherish the last moments before their day truly had to begin.

After dropping her off, Mike went to his first class. The idea that people might be looking at them as an odd couple didn't really occur to him, after all, they weren't seen at the School of Destruction.

The first class of his day was pure theory, boring, and did not call on him to cast. He spent some of his time sending Selene texts making fun of the stodgy old professor. In truth, he was nervous of his next class, in which he would indeed have to create and hurl fireballs.

As that session started, he began feeling his magic start to grow uncontrollably. The desire to unleash not just a fireball, but a raging inferno began to become irresistible. Waiting for his turn to cast, Mike began to sweat and shiver at the same time.

Feeling a moment of bravery, she kissed him on the cheek before they parted ways. Of course, she blushed and hurried on to class, keeping her head down so she didn't see if anyone was looking at her.

While in class, she managed to text him without getting caught. A task she'd never even attempted before. Still, she told him she would be in touch, so she made her best effort, luckily with actual success, which surprised her.

Between classes, the stone caught her attention. It began to feel warm, which confused her at first but that gave way to concern a moment later when she realized there were very few reasons for it and none of them seemed pleasant. She found a quiet corner to slip into and took a deep breath. Closing her eyes and slowing her breathing, she concentrated on Mike. With the inhale and exhale taking on a slow, steady rhythm as they had when they were sleeping, she sent out a sense of calm. She imagined them cuddling, kissing softly. The sweet serenity she felt when she wasn't nervous or excited. She reached out and caressed his cheek and could almost feel his skin under her fingertips.

"You're alright," she whispered. "I'm here for you."

Waiting in line, Mike was starting to panic. The urge to burn it all down growing more and more irresistible until suddenly, it started to calm. He couldn't explain it, but he felt Selene's hand on his shoulder, and her lips brushing his. He surrendered and submitted to the sensation, allowed the feeling of her fingertips on his cheek further calm him. The desire to destroy suddenly departed from him, and though he sensed a distant frustration, Mike finally felt under control.

It became his turn to cast, and his fireballs were flawless, perfectly executed and exactly what he intended.

Somehow, he knew that Selene had intervened, he tried to channel feelings of gratitude into the stone, though he was unsure if she'd receive such a message. He quickly texted her a quick message as soon as class ended.

He merely said, "Thank You."

Feeling the firestorm within him give way to her touch, she cooled off fairly quickly. His appreciation washed over her as he settled under her influence. Relieved, she let out a sigh and moved on to her next class. When she received his text later, she replied, "Of course" although it didn't seem like enough. It seemed a bit odd to say 'You're my boyfriend' or 'Isn't that what girlfriends do?' Instead, she opted for, "We're in this together."

The rest of the day seemed to go by slowly, but with continued texts and a growing sense of excitement. She did manage to sneak off to her apartment to put dinner in a slow-cooker and hoped that he was going to like her recipe. When classes were over, she texted him again to tell him she was going home to pack a bag and finish dinner.

She arrived at his door later, bags in hand, a nervous smile on her lips. The smell of fresh baked cornbread and warm chili wafted through the hall. "Hi," she said, her voice much more quiet than she'd intended. Making meals for him was beginning to feel increasingly intimate. She'd never made food for anyone other than family and although he liked what she'd made before, she suddenly felt as though she should've asked him about this one.

Waiting at home, Mike felt his power starting to bubble up again, though he was mostly able to keep things under control. Still, he found himself pacing anxiously by the time Selene arrived. Opening the door, he was instantly comforted by both the sight of her, and the scent of food coming from the slow cooker she carried. His stomach rumbled and he took the crockpot from her.

"This smells great." He beamed a smile, though it quickly faded. He needed to address what had happened earlier. Taking a deep breath, he confessed his fear. "I'm not sure what happened in class. Everything was fine, but then... I couldn't control it. I thought if we both wore our moonstones that I was safe." He closed his eyes and calmed himself before he spoke again. "Whatever you did, however. It worked."

She stepped into the apartment, already feeling his concern, but waited for him to bring voice to it himself before chiming in with her feelings of concern. As soon as he put the warm food on the counter and turned to look at her, she took his hands in hers. Her eyes, warm and comforting, looked up at him. She let out a soft sigh and started gently, "This happened before. But you called and I came to you. It happened today and I was able to help." Shrugging, "I guess wearing them doesn't keep this from happening just... helps... keep it under... control."

It was clear she didn't like saying that word. What she knew of her part in this made her very concerned about exerting any kind of control over him. What if he woke up one day and resented her for everything? What if she wasn't up to the task when it came full force at them? Would it be too much for her? Would he be too much for her?

Biting her lip, she tried to push the thoughts away. She didn't want him to feel her fear and mistakenly believe it was him she was afraid of. "I didn't really do anything besides think of you and... breathe, I guess? I'm glad it worked though." With a tilt of her head, she gestured toward the food, "Maybe we settle in with dinner and a movie? Then I have some research to do for a paper before bed."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom