Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

My Robot Companion (Spacer1999 & Goddess)

Spacer1999

Literate Roleplayer -equal lover of story and smut
Nick looked at the eccentric attorney, Gladys Miro, with a perplexed expression.

"So, what you're telling me is that my weird rich Uncle Yakov left me a huge house and grounds, but no money to pay taxes or even basic utilities? I work at a mobile phone store and share an apartment with four other people. I'm not really set up to pay for... that."

He gave a big sigh.

"Well, I guess I could always rent out rooms.

"Yeah, about that... you wouldn't be able to rent out rooms for a while," said Gladys.

His heart sank a bit lower.

"And why is that?"

"Well, Nick, Yakov was a bit of a collector. Well, more than a bit of a collector... he was obsessive about it. That's where all his money went. He would get fixated on something and just keep buying and buying until he filled up a room, and then he'd move on to his next obsession."

Nick groaned.

"So, you're telling me Uncle Yakov was a hoarder?"

"Well, yes and no. When I think of hoarders, I think of someone who collects newspapers and magazines and crappy clothes. Yakov wasn't like that. Let me put it this way, he had a line of credit with eBay and the rumor was he had a dedicated truck from UPS that only delivered to his house. He never told me what he collected, but he spent a lot of money. A lot."

"Well," mused Nick. "Maybe I could just sell the place outright. Have some sort of Estate clearance place just take it all off my hands."

"Actually, you couldn't. Yakov's will specifies that you must occupy the home for five full years or ownership passes to a charity," said Gladys. "Look, Nick. My advice, go check out the place and see what's in there. There's a good chance a lot of it is junk, but also a good chance that there's a lot of value in there. Nothing in the will says you can't sell the contents of the house, you just can't sell the house itself."

Nick opened the door and looked at the house in dismay. What had once been a grand Victorian painted lady of a house was now dilapidated and in need of new paint, new shutters, many new windows which were boarded up, it was a disaster. Uncle Yakov had at least left enough to cover the first year of electricity and water, so when he flipped the light switch on, there was light... sort of. The old bulbs in the front hallway chandelier were half burnt-out and of low wattage, so a dim glow came over the place.

There were boxes, and boxes, and boxes. All were addressed to Yakov and unopened. There was at least a path down the middle.

Nick's heart was sinking by the minute, but then he got to the first room on the right, the old dining room. On the door was a faded handwritten sign. "Trains"

He had to shove the door open because a couple of stacks had fallen by the door. Once he shoved his way in, he looked at the stacks and stacks of boxes.

As chance would have it, the first box he picked up was a good one to look at.

Lionel Pre-WW2, complete set - was written on the box.

Grabbing his phone, he pulled out the engine for the model train. It was in the original box! A little beat up, but still.

He typed in the model and gauge... and his eyes widened. $3800, just for the engine.

"Holy. Fucking. Shit." murmured Nick.

Gladys hadn't been lying.

The trains turned out to be the motherlode, followed by some vintage hand tools, followed by depression era glass.

Point was, Nick's full time job now was working on auction sites and that same UPS driver who used to deliver things was now picking them up after Nick sold them.

Nick worked his way up through the house, one room and one floor at a time, cataloging stuff that was saleable, making runs to the storage unit he’d rented for stuff that was saveable, and so on.

At last, he reached the top floor.

He was more than a bit concerned when he saw the sign on the corner bedroom that said, ‘friends’ and actually gave a shout when the first thing he saw inside the door was a human limb.

After the initial shock, he was able to peek back in and see that it was actually a limb for a an android. Was this his uncle’s final collection? He looked around and saw several arms and legs and a couple of torsos… all seeming to belong to female units but they were all in pieces. Doing a quick search on his phone after he found a couple of model and serial numbers, he saw that the equipment had nominal value on the repair market, but certainly wasn’t worth investing much time in.

Then he saw her, sitting in the corner. It was her face that caught his attention… so pretty, but friendly looking… like a hot redheaded girl next door. Her head seemed to all come from the same place, but once he uncovered the rest of her it was clear she had been pieced together… what there was of her. She had a complete torso including some very full and lovely breasts… though they were of a different skin tone than the other. One arm was fully skinned and the other had extremely light skin, but only covering the front portion, the back was exposed silicon muscles and circuitry.

She became his project over the next couple of weeks. When he needed a break from train collectors and such, he would retreat to the attic and carefully reassemble her.

She had memory units and they appeared to be wipe… but he determined they were only partially wiped. For example, if you just type a command to delete a hard drive, it is possible to recover the data on the drive. It takes overwriting the hard drive sectors to truly delete the data. This had just been a wipe. Though he couldn’t recover the data, he’d read that sometimes the androids themselves could use their self-healing abilities to eventually recover their memories.

Eventually.

But, for now, he just wanted to see what she was like.

He had a lower half assembled… two legs that were at least the same length, though one was a deep brown skin and the other was blue. She was also anatomically correct… but it was odd thinking of her that way. He knew many men liked such things, but for him it was more about the challenge… the challenge to restore a full companion unit.

And so, her torso sitting up in a chair, her legs not yet connected, he connected the power supply and waited. At last, he saw signs of movement and it seemed her eyelids were starting to flutter.

He waited.

The mismatched android gave their first signs of life with fluttering eyes, then wrinkling her nose and comically enunciating without a sound. They seemed to swallow, take a breath, and arch her back, with each bit of them becoming powered and connecting, almost like they were running a systems check before initiating. After that they seemed to stretch their arms, which first moved at different speeds but seemed to calibrate to compensate for the differing weights. The whole ordeal took barely over a minute, but it seemed standard in older models with her limited capacity. Models nowadays could do it in seconds and far less obviously, but there was a certain charm in the way older models did it to some collectors.

"Model 5786 Dash Alpha 42, powered on." The voice sounded generic, like the typical Alexa or Siri of old and didn't even bother with the lip movements upon startup. Her eyes, bright and hazel, were wide open and expressionless throughout. "Serial number 47 Delta 52 Foxtrot Lima 542 Yankee Zulu. Software version number 47.23. 003. 02. No internet connection. No lower limb connection. Reset or proceed through with configuration?"

Nick was both excited and a little let down by the response. He knew that many of these units had emotional modules... but they were quite touchy. It meant opening the back of the control center in the head and without the proper tools and training, it could damage the modules irreparably. The modules could run from simple empathy and humor, to battle training (not likely here), to sensuous plug-ins for pleasure models.

Her initial reaction wasn't necessarily an indicator of not having any modules. Often, those capabilities took a while to activate. Like an old gas-powered car warming up in cold weather, these units took some time to reach full capabilities.

"Dash Alpha 42, we will call you Alphaba for now until we find a better name. I am Nick and I am your owner... I am your caretaker. Please proceed with full configuration and inform me of your capabilities and any active modules installed in your system. Once you are up and running, you can help me install your lower portion. There are some tricky circuit connections and it will go better with your guidance."

"Alphaba name recognized." The android's eyes shone for half a second. Clearly she was in the tutorial or setup mode and, while it had been made more efficient in modern times, an older model like her still had needless setups before she properly booted up. "Is a first name basis preferred or will do you want to input a preferred way to call you?"

Her mouth moved like a fish out of water for a few seconds. "23 modules detected. 14 personality modules detected. Warning, some modules will be incompatible with each other and may cause errors. Do you wish to select between them?" The mouth was still not moving with the Alexa preset. "Five sexual modules detected. Unit is available for sexual gratification. Do you wish to set up a gender identity? Default setting is female."

Cables started extending from the hips in response to his command, but the setup continued. Already the android seemed to search for the missing parts. "Additional modules found. Job, maid. Job, driver. Skill, classical piano. Skill: home cook. Proceed with all?"

He moved the lower torso and legs to where she could reach them and reconnect.

He considered her question.

"Let's wait on the sexual modules for now, but please let me know what the five are. Please activate Maid, home cook, and classical piano. Let's save the memory space of the driver for later. In terms of your other modules, would you list them please? Do you have any emotional or empathy modules for general companionship?"
Although the sexual pleasure modules were interesting, he wanted to see how 'real' he could make her. At the same time, he was scrubbing through eBay, looking for any salvaged modules or mods. She had been a fairly popular series and there should be a good amount.

"Oh, and yes, female please... hetero wired if that is an option.

"Hetero Female preference selected. Activated Maid Job, home cook skill and classical piano skill. Listing five available sexual modules." The same artificial voice continued to talk as the wires slid into the proper cavities in the legs. After a few seconds, the toes were starting to move. "Trait: Eager Slave. Trait: Dominant. Skill: Pseudo-Pregnancy. Skill: Excessive sexual Fluids. Mode: In Heat. Warning, some modules contradict others, and turning them on together may cause errors. Default programing: user initiated vanilla sex."

Another light flashed in her wide open green eyes and once again she seemed to move her mouth without voicing anything. The voice, still separate from her motor functions, continued. "Listing 14 personality modules: Empathy skill detected. Sympathy skill detected. Physically affectionate job detected. Compassionate trait can be simulated with prior modules combined." It wasn't uncommon to get specific modules set up in tandem to get specific traits. After all, the gamma of human experiences was so diverse. Every day new modules came out in an effort to simulate the human condition, with different ideas on how a particular trait should be expressed. The ones in this android model were so rustic, they didn't even include version numbers.

"Listing remaining modules available. Trait: Cheerful. Trait: Confrontational. Trait: Bossy. Trait: Maternal. Trait: Risk seeking. Trait: Friendly. Trait: Wary of strangers." By now, the legs were also shooting up wired that connected to the torso and the parts were pulling on each other, connecting. "Skill: Eloquent. Skill: Persuasive. Skill: Attention to detail. Mode: Short tempered. Warning, some modules contradict others, and turning them on together may cause errors. Default programming: Polite obedience. Which modules do you wish to activate, owner Nick?"

"Very good, thank you for this," he said, contemplating her options while also scanning the options on eBay.

She was something akin to the old video game systems. There was the original Atari 2600 and Nintendo systems that had possessed hundreds of games that could be inserted one at a time. But, 20 years later, as memory and storage increased, you could fit a couple of hundred of those same games into one module when you loaded a ROM.

On Ebay, he found several third-party modules that would allow them to build personalities. Essentially, instead of loading one module at a time, they could in-load up to 50 skills, traits, and jobs onto one multi-layered module. But, just like humans these multi-layered modules were adaptive and learned as they went on.

For now, he was happy to go with her native abilities before taking on any sort of upgrade.

At the same time, he did order a brand new flesh kit which included synth skin and tissue layers that would allow her have a uniform look and rebuild any parts that she needed to, both now and in the future if there was any damage.

"Alphaba, please load the following skills: Empathy, Sympathy, Affectionate, Eloquent, Persuasive, and attention to detail. Please load the following traits: Cheerful, Maternal, Friendly, and Wary of Strangers - however, please catalog me, Nick the Caretaker as trust-level high. I am not a stranger. In terms of the other components, please load physically affectionate job and trait 'eager slave' but set eager slave to 20% and passive mode. Please notify caretaker of any conflicts in the requested modules being loaded."

"Module selections acknowledged." By now her legs were fully attached, and she was casually stretching them: bending her knees, lifting each knee to her chest, and doing a few squats for calibration purposes. "There is minor conflict between the following modules. Sympathy skill can clash with Wary of Stangers. Empathy Skill can clash with Wary of Strangers. Friendly trait can clash with Wary of Strangers. Risk of system error: 5%. Proceed with module selection?"

Despite continuing to look at Nick firmly, Alphaba's body also stretched the spine, which ended in slightly inhuman postures, as most humans couldn't possibly achieve that sense of balance. "Default trust level for owner, Nick at Absolute. Confirm lowering to trust level, high?"

Once final calibrations were complete, Alphaba stood up straight. "Please soft reset after final module selection to save your choices."

Back
Top Bottom