Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Old comrades reunited (moonfireXethereai)

EtherealElvenEmpress

I’m a power bottom at rock bottom.
@Moonfire

Hector had grown up on a family farm. He had a natural talent for dealing with the animals, being able to calm them when they were distressed. Beyond the farm was a wild forest and as he grew older he had to learn fighting skills to deal with orcs that would try to raid from the forest.

During the Orc Wars he had joined the army, where after more training he became a scout for an elite hit-squad that was formed to eradicate goblin and orc bandits. They disbanded after the war and he spent the next 10 years or so wandering the outlying land and helping villages with their monster problems or acting as a guard on supply caravans travelling near the still dangerous woods and forests.

Today he was getting ready to join a caravan that was gathering in the next town. It was carrying furs and metal ores and some gemstones from the northern mountains to the capital in the south. He had made camp in a small dell just inside the woodland that he knew was the home of a tribe of wood elves. He was careful to only gather wood from the ground and not to damage any of the trees that he knew meant so much to the elves. He had caught some rabbits the previous day and was now sitting by his small fire waiting for them to be roasted for his evening meal.

He heard a rustling in the undergrowth behind him, he put his hand on his sword which lay on the ground at his side as a precaution but he did not expect any trouble from these usually friendly woods.

Lilia had thought her days of running and hiding were over. The orc wars were not something she planned this peaceful elf had her heart set on. She was a healer and like many elf healers stayed out in their villages taking care of whoever needed it.

When the war began she like many others wanted no part of it. At the time when the wars began she had just come into her craft. News of her skills spread throughout the mountain area of her home. Lilia has already surpassed her mother and grandmother’s skills at a young age which brought sick travelers from near and far seeking her particular skill set. That was the reason she was drafted into that damn war. The only reason she went was to spare her mother from being forced into it at her age.

Many were dragged into this all out war even the peaceful ones. When the war ended it left scars on many, but even so Lilia returned home. It was hard to get back to normal life after all age has scene but it was over and peace or so she thought was restored.

Retiring back to her rightful place as healer and shaman felt right.

Oh how very wrong she was hoping for peace. An amulet had fallen into her possession that was quite coveted. It was said it possessed great power and a part of her didn’t believe but the elf in possession of it nearly lost his life getting it in her hands. The fabled amulet that was only mentioned in elven fairytales was real!

The healers were all curious but before they could test out this mysterious amulet their care they were ambushed not before sending her off running with this amulet. The village hid the traveler and send Lilia off to throw off the assailants of this small but sudden attack.

She wasn’t even travel ready in her ceremony’s robes but there was no time to change she needed to get this amulet to the elders. How in the three moons was she going to do that on her own!?!?

With nothing more than her book, magic, amulet and daggers she off. Following the trees and forest paths but staying off the main thoroughfare. Rustling in the bush hoping she wouldn’t be caught. Hearing noises she made sure the amulet was tucked away around her neck and hidden down the front of her dress as she drew her dagger and prepared herself in case the noises she heard were of an enemy.

The woods here were friendly but one could never be too sure with the factions of elves and other fae vying for power.

Hector's training as a scout had made him more aware in changes of sound and he could tell the difference between the natural rustling of the trees in the wind and that caused by an animal running through them. He was certain therefore, that a large creature was running towards his clearing. He turned slowly on the ground to face whatever was approaching, his sword ready to attack if needed but seeming to pose no threat if it was, say, a harmless deer.

He was completely taken aback however when what emerged was a female elf. It was not so much that he did not know there were elves in this wood, he did, but they usually stayed in the depths of the trees. It was not even that which surprised him ,it was her attire, not the usual leather and cloth made for rough work amongst the oaks but she was dressed in colourful robes, as if for a special occasion, certainly not suitable for rushing through the trees.

She stood at the edge of the clearing with a dagger drawn, but in defensive mode. Hector was about to make some remark to show he meant her no harm, when he looked at her face and got his second surprise. He knew this elf from his time in the army, she had been one of their best healers, and many of his colleagues owed their lives to her gentle healing powers and salves. " Is that really you Lilia, it is Hector, scout from the Orc Wars, are you in trouble? " he said gently.

The last thing Lilia expected was a friendly voice. Her dagger was drawn and she was prepared for any threat before her. The bottom of her ceremonial robes were dirty and tattered from running and the elements.

“What did you say?” Lilia froze dagger pointed at hector not even realizing who he was. She kept looking back to see if she was followed. Her hair was a mess and she wasn’t dressed for fleeing as it was.

Her chest rose and fell as she was out of breath but even as tired as she was that dagger was kept forward before she would turn and look at the voice that said her name. How did they know her? “H…hector?” she finally managed to squeak out in surprise. Even with her recognizing him het fight or flight response was in full overdrive keeping the dagger pointed at him. “W…what are you doing here?” she finally muttered in a soft voice as if others were listening in.

Hector had been about to make a flippant remark in response to her question of what he was doing in the clearing, but he could see she was in a state of distress so he replied " why don't you take shelter in my tent while I check to see if anyone is still following you. Pull the flap down after you are inside and no one will be able to see you. "

Hector walked all round the edge of the clearing listening carefully for any noises that were other than that of the living wood. Satisfied that all seemed well for now he looked for any tracks moving towards the clearing but could only detect those of Lilia.

Her tracks were faint, as even though in a hurry her natural skill had left little trace. If it had not been for the costume she was wearing he may well have not been able to track her at all. He followed her trail back about half a mile and when he found a foot mark in the ground he made a false trail to the right to throw any later followers off the track. Having done the best he could Hector doubled back and then overlaid Lilia's tracks with a more obvious one of his own back to the clearing to see how Lilia was getting on.

Lilia was very much in shock and it took her a minute to even realize that was someone she knew. She had been running for so far and so long her feet ached. She was barefoot and somehow lost her shoes along the way.

Nodding when he offered shelter she didn’t refuse that as she went in and sat in a corner hand over her chest clutching the amulet underneath her ceremonial robes.

When he returned he would find your calories in a corner clean tightly something hidden. “Hector is that really you?” she had to ask since she was thinking she was hallucinating a friend. He was helping her and she was so grateful but also the fact that she knew him made her terrified. Terrified that he get involved in something she didn’t want him to think about. “I can’t stay you’ll be in danger if I stay. I’ve gotta go I gotta get out of here. Do you think I can borrow different clothes if it’s okay? I won’t darken your doorstep. I can’t put you in danger you’re really only time people to be in the war. I refuse to put you in danger…” The thing is she wouldn’t tell him what kind of dangerous was she just kept telling him she wished to keep him safe. This was her burden to bear not his. The last thing she wanted to do was ruin his peace of mind and wonderful life.

Hector was pleased to see Lilia had taken his advice and hidden in the corner of the tent. She asked again if it was he. He supposed age would have changed him from the youth she had known to the full grown man that he was today. " I know I must look changed to you, but inside I am the same Hector you knew back in those trying times " he replied.

Having decided it was indeed Hector she almost began to babble at him telling him she was in danger, that she had to go, she wanted clothes , she did not want to put him in danger and so it went on for several minutes. When she seemed to have got that out of her system Hector went to her and took her hands in his.

"Calm down my little friend, you will not get far if you panic. Let us talk this through and decide on a plan. First you need to know that this life of mine guarding one caravan after another is getting me down, it is so boring. I long for the old days when I was fighting for a cause, that gave meaning to my life. I don't know what your danger is and that does not matter, but if I can help you, my life could have a purpose again and you would be doing me a favour if you will let me help you."

Lilia’s adrenaline was through the roof. She didn’t know how far she had run or for how long but she knew maybe they didn’t follow her. She helped at least. Once it got through her head that this was someone she knew and someone she considered a safe person she rambled and just didn’t stop. Her hand across her chest where the amulet was hidden covering it as if he could see it through her traditional garb.

Once Hector started talking she had to take deep breaths to try and comb her self which wasn’t easy she was still in a panic. Hearing what he said it made her give him a look like he was a bit crazy. Why would he stick out adventure? This was an adventure it was madness! “This isn’t A quest. It’s dangerous and your life is peaceful why would you change that. Aren’t you happy being peaceful? What I have here is dangerous. All the elves think it’s dangerous but I have. All I know is I shouldn’t put you in danger especially since you’re human. After the war didn’t you wanna settle down?” she finally managed to ask. She didn’t know why he wanted to help her join on this quest of hers. The road ahead was dangerous and the ambulance recession was covered not only among elves but orca. A part of her was confused about why he wanted to trade the caravan life for one of running and hiding. So she must admit she did need to help and being by herself she didn’t know how long she’d survive.

After Hector had taken Lilia's hands she gradually began to calm down, but was still only half listening to what he was saying. Maybe she just did not believe he was genuine about wanting to help.

" I have had enough of life being peaceful " he replied "At first after the war it was good not to be putting my life at risk every day but over time one day has merged with the next and peaceful has now become mundane and boring. "
He paused before he continued " I may want to settle down one day but I like moving about the country and seeing new things, so for now I will keep my ranger lifestyle " " I have an idea that might make us put some distance between those who are after you and throw them off the scent. Could you adapt some of my spare clothes so that you could pass as a young boy who I could be training. That way you could come with me on the next caravan and get many miles away relatively safely before you continue your journey or quest. "

Lilia let Hector take her hands and hold them but she was still shaking like a leaf. Her adrenaline is still flowing through her veins. “I remember you telling me you wish to settle down and look at you now you have a nice life I would feel bad ruining it.” finally popping up and telling him though she wouldn’t move from her corner.

“I’d appreciate some new clothes to help because I can’t be seen like this. If they find me I don’t know what they’ll do to me or you if you know you’re helping. This amulet has a strange sort of power. I can feel it and it’s strong and I don’t know if anyone else can or if it’s just me. Either way I can’t stay here very long but a caravan could work do you have anything I could borrow I’ll find a way to pay you back for it if that’s alright.” she was trying desperately not to pull him into her crazy world adventure even though he said he wish to go but she’s still worried if he wanted peace. “I do you need to get this to the elders so which way are you going and are you heading that way into the great forest? I know it’s a longshot if you’re going that way I honestly could use your help navigating.”

" I suppose during the wars I would have said I wanted to settle down, but I was imagining finding a wife and raising a family. If I had found a wife I am sure it would have been different but that was not to be. As a a single man I have no wish to settle but hope that one day on my travels I may find that special someone and then I will gladly put down roots. "

Thinking about her disguise he said " Now about your appearance. In my backpack are several spare leggings and shirts. There is also a set of needles and thread and scissors. Can you cut them down to size so you can be my boy apprentice. ? "

When asked about the direction all he could say was " The caravan will go south about 100 miles to the town of Hadmouth. From there we can pick up a trail to the Great Forest which is some way to the west. That is the best I can suggest. Going west from here might seem more direct but it would need you to cross a large swamp ,and besides that is probably what your pursuers expect you to do"

It took her a moment to try and catch what he was saying and hearing that he didn’t want to have a boring life just shocked her. Lilia had wanted to have a peaceful life but this amulet through everything out of orbit.

The one thing she knew for sure is that she had to get rid of her ceremonial robes. They sit out too much but Hector gave her an option of his clothes and things to do in amend then it was what it was. The one thing she would not do was cut her long hair. Her people found that too valuable she would at least tied up in disguise it.

“That sounds like a plan but once I get to the Great Forest you don’t have to help me anymore. This is too dangerous and no offense you’re a human and was following me I don’t know who or what they are and the last thing I want to do is someone who helped me in the war to get hurt.” The concern in her voice was honest and true. He had helped her when things were not good and saved her life I’m more than one occasion. She didn’t want to lose that favor and throw him in danger. He was a kind human and wanted him to have better. Life is funny that way. She ran into him again and maybe it was meant to be and the gods and goddesses has set this up but the last thing she wanted to do was throw him in the way of danger.

The two rabbits that had been cooking over the camp fire were now ready so Hector took one in to Lilia. "We seem to be safe for now so eat this while it is hot and the deal with your clothes, whatever you decide to do you must get out of those robes. "

He could tell she was still worried about putting him in danger. When they had been together in the war she had always been concerned for others before she thought of her own safety. This time it seemed was different, as she had task to perform " Let us take one step at a time " said Hector " There will be no great danger in you joining the caravan and then taking the trail to the forest, they won't be looking for a man and his boy apprentice after all. We can make any further decisions after that but consider this. If your task is important, it is not just your life you have to consider, but the successful outcome of the journey and you may need to accept help to see the task through even though your instinct is not to put others in danger. "

“Thank you so much Hector you don’t have to do any of this.” for now she eyed over the clothing she had that Hector had offered her seeing which ones would fit and how she could alter them. He was offered her food and shelter which was more than he needed to do in the situation.

Luckily for him now she was actually listening to what he had to say as the rabbits cooked. He spoke with the caravan and how it wasn’t very dangerous to join it. It made sense because no one would look for her in a caravan especially with her being an elf most of them preferred to be solitary and deal with things on their own. Most elves would only look to their kind for help so being with Hector would throw them off her trail for a good while.

As he spoke about him and her being his boy apprentice she looked worried before she began talking. “I won’t cut my hair again is there anyway you can do something different.” this time she was asking for his opinion since her long hair was what all healers kept. She didn’t want to lose it again especially when she had to cut it off for the war it finally got to the length she liked and fit her position as high healer in her clan. “ i’ll accept the help only on one condition.” Lilia paused before continuing her speech. “ you must promise me if it gets too dangerous you will leave me behind and save yourself you’ve helped me during the war and I will not put you in harms way now. I couldn’t live with myself if you got hurt. Deal?”

Hector understood her concern about her hair, and he would not want her to have to cut it either. " Can you make your hair into a long plait that goes down your back ? If so a jacket with a high collar could hide its length , or my shirt that has a hood attached could also be altered to fit you I think. "

It had taken a while but now at last Lilia seemed to have calmed down and was listening more constructively to his thoughts. It looked as though she would now accept his help but only on her terms. Hector knew things could get dangerous, though he was not yet sure what they were up against as that would mean he would have to ask about her amulet and he did not want to press her on that point yet. Time enough for more discussion when they had joined the caravan.

" I understand your conditions " Hector replied " If there is no way I think we can both survive I promise I will leave you "
Hector had made this promise carefully, it needed him to decide if there was no way of surviving and he would in reality never think that so he would not have to leave her.

" For now you get on with the alterations, I will sit outside and eat my rabbit and keep watch. Just call if you want anything "

It was nice that he thought about what to do with her hair. For elves hair meant a lot especially healers and magic users. The last thing she wanted to do is cut it but the long brain sounds like a good idea.

Hector offered to keep watch as she nodded and this time took her time to try and alter what he gave her she was so tiny and she had her work cut out for her. Lilia was quiet and didn’t say much. then again for all the years he had known her she was always the quiet sort. her ramblings were very out of character for her.

This amulet he might’ve heard whispers about across the land there was caravans but now it was here with him. It contained a great magic. It could heal but it also harm and curse. Now she had it.

“I’ll try not to be long.” she said she quietly worked in a corner. If he was quite enough he wouldn’t even know if she was there. This outfit as quiet as a chapel mouse and Hector hopefully wouldn’t forget about her as you finish your outfit change out of her ceremonial robes The elf looks completely different even though she still had her feminine touches the clothes hit enough of her that no one would know what her job was

Back
Top Bottom