Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

I’m so sic of Discord

Coltethan

Planetoid
Every Rp I see now is asking for discord rp’s. I get why but it’s screwing me over because I use discord for work usually also showing my screen. I know I can just make an account for rp’s and not cross contaminate but I know me I’ll fuck up forget to do it and in a meeting BlondesubRP26 is going to message me.

Also I like PM system here it’s way better than other RO sites I’ve been on.

This is just me bitching at the void thanks for your time.

This is one of the reasons why I'm glad that as of late, the mods separated the site into off-site requests and on-site requests. Not many people have migrated their RTs over if they solely use Discord, but I find it a nice touch, as someone who won't use Discord for RPs either.

They're out there. Just gotta wade through it, though I can't tell you how many times I found out at like the very bottom of an RT I was getting excited about says "Discord only" and let out a disappointed little "oh". I believe there's something for everyone here- you just gotta be willing to fish for it.

The PM system here is actually very nice compared to most sites, I agree with you.

Discord ain't for me either. We'll chat but we ain't doing a long-term extravaganza there, I just can't do it!

I know how you feel. One of the most frustrating things on this site finding a search thread that looks really compatible with your kinks and style, but then they say that they only write on Discord. I for one am glad that the mods finally created subforums for Discord searches. It helps reduce the clutter for me as someone who despises Discord.

And I've found that the PM system here is really nice and simple. You get a nice little red notification when you get a PM and each one is in it's own page. It's very easy to navigate.

I'm up for either for different reasons, but I definately make a practice of splitting between discord aliases so the mentioned mixup is impossible.

As a person who only writes on the BMR site (I don't care what other medium is suggested), I'm happy that an Off-site section has been established. Yes, off-site includes Discord, but is not limited to Discord.

I understand why some might want to use Discord, but I like having all my RPs in one place. The more I have to spread out over different sites/mediums, the more likely I'll miss something and be later accused of ghosting.

I agree with Quill & Canta - it can be frustrating to see an RT you like, watch it tick most of your boxes...then discover it's "Discord only". The off-site section will go a little way towards mitigating that.

I definitely understand, though I use discord a bit, I like my RP and everyday communications distinctly separate. I think I'm quite a private person but I also don't want to guard my phone because a notification or something might pop up about some really erotic stuff. I want to be able to set it down and not worry about it. Both on here and my discord are strictly for roleplay now and require a log in each time. I enjoy some aspects of discord but respect those that don't wish to use it.

I also think staying on site deters some of the meat market ish activity. However I'm probably considered a bit of a cold shoulder to some by wishing to keep my roleplaying and personal life very separate.

I haven't experienced this site's PM system yet but personally, I like Discord because I like it's fluidity and I like that it's a chatting system rather than a 'posting' system. It feels like it is a live(ly) conversation rather than what I feel in the forum format which is that I feel like 'mailing' instead of chatting. I absolutely fear what you have suggested might happen too though (forgetting to switch accounts and getting an inappropriate message from someone while in a formal context). For that, I never use my roleplaying account in the app but I only use it on browser. It has its setbacks but I won't risk getting clinically embarassed heheh.

Every Rp I see now is asking for discord rp’s. I get why but it’s screwing me over because I use discord for work usually also showing my screen. I know I can just make an account for rp’s and not cross contaminate but I know me I’ll fuck up forget to do it and in a meeting BlondesubRP26 is going to message me.

Also I like PM system here it’s way better than other RO sites I’ve been on.

This is just me bitching at the void thanks for your time.

I might have a sort-of other option for you. Matrix. It gives you a lot of the functionality of Discord but it's separate so you wouldn't risk blowing your cover. It's also very much better in terms of privacy with everything encrypted by default and you can't get banned from it by some central team. It also doesn't require a phone number to register (unless you want to). For covert role-playing it's got big advantages over Discord.

There are some negatives. There's a lot of different clients so maybe this doesn't apply to all but the Elements one that I use isn't quite as pretty as Discord but after a few goes I figured out how to install a Discord theme someone had made and that made it much easier on the eyes. You have Spaces which are like Servers in Discord and you can have rooms in them. You can insert pictures and format text and all that general Discord stuff. It's just a little less slick looking. And there was some confusing stuff at the start about verifying my device (turns out you need to re-log in to validate it). It's fine apart from that, though. The main negative is just that fewer people use it than Discord. But people have been willing to set it up to play and they seemed to have managed that pretty quickly. Maybe worth seeing if you can get a couple of RPs going on there.

I'm new to BM but I can tell the off-site section is recent because there's hardly anything in there. It seems like a good idea, though. Like Quill above, it's frustrating to find someone you seem really compatible with only to find out after messaging that they wont play on the same platform you will. Only in my case I want IM not PMs, rather than the other way around.

I've considered making a dedicated discord seeing how many request threads require it these days, but I had the same thoughts as you. Plus I've always preferred the "write on your own time" aspect of the PM system and feel like the the live chat RP method of discord adds an undue layer of pressure. I may have to just give it a try, if only so that I'm not ruling out so many threads.

Where there is discord, may we bring harmony!

I have seriously tried to make a go of Discord, because some good partners have migrated there full-time. Unfortunately it's contrary to my whole RP style. It's a glorifed messenger service, which is great if you're into sexting and so forth. But I like writing meaty posts, and I prefer to take my time with things. I really hate the general invasiness of Discord; chat rooms have never been my thing, and it is not conducive to good writing. As some others have noted above, it basically just adds a lot of hassle and pressure to something that's supposed to be fun.

I've considered making a dedicated discord seeing how many request threads require it these days, but I had the same thoughts as you. Plus I've always preferred the "write on your own time" aspect of the PM system and feel like the the live chat RP method of discord adds an undue layer of pressure. I may have to just give it a try, if only so that I'm not ruling out so many threads.
Where there is discord, may we bring harmony!

I have seriously tried to make a go of Discord, because some good partners have migrated there full-time. Unfortunately it's contrary to my whole RP style. It's a glorifed messenger service, which is great if you're into sexting and so forth. But I like writing meaty posts, and I prefer to take my time with things. I really hate the general invasiness of Discord; chat rooms have never been my thing, and it is not conducive to good writing. As some others have noted above, it basically just adds a lot of hassle and pressure to something that's supposed to be fun.
I think for both of you this is a somewhat self-imposed mindset. There is an element of truth to it but there are also ways of dealing with it. I am also someone who doesn't like pressure to reply but I deal with it by just setting my status to Invisible. Job done! That's actually less pressure to me than on the site where someone who sent you a message can see if you've read it or not. Of course, you can turn that off - which is the same as setting your status to Invisible in Discord. It doesn't show whether someone has read your message or not. Matrix does but again, you can turn that off.

If you're talking about seeing notifications from Discord that you have a new message anytime, any place, I don't have Discord on my phone so it' not an issue. I just use the webclient. If I'm not on the Discord website then no notifications. Same with Matrix.

But ultimately my preference for an IM system is that I can just have an uninterrupted roleplay, unbroken and fluid. Anything out of character I need, is just in another channel on the same server. One server per partner.

I just unashamedly ignore people if I'm busy and/or preoccupied (whether visible or not). Sometimes I just want to send a quick ''haha, yeah!'' message and then not have to deal with a 20 hour long discussion about our RP or something like that -- we don't have to talk 24/7 just because we are writing together. I think that is a boundary that a lot of roleplayers cross inadvertently and quite frequently. :) A hobby is a hobby, I don't wanna make it more. I think what gets me more is the amount of partners that will ask for Discord to ''communicate'' in PMs and then I sort of half-reluctantly agree, only to end up with them expecting the entire RP to take place in Discord despite neither the threads we both have (their and my request thread) nor our communications betraying this fact. I don't want to write on Discord, if I did I'd have mentioned it, and this is a great way to make me not want to write anymore. Bonus points if they offer to write the starter and then send it in Discord 2 minutes later without discussion.

I feel like it's kind of the RP equivalent of a job saying they're fully remote, getting hired and then finding out that fully remote means you get to fully remote your ass to their office 5 days out of the week. :D

Also, the character limit pisses me off, even with Nitro. :p

The off-site request thread section is seriously one of the better QoL changes I've seen on any writing forum so I wholeheartedly embrace it, since I think Discord roleplaying is probably the ''new wave'' for roleplaying as I've seen forums die out more and more, but I'm not ready to give up on my trusty forums just quite yet.

Despite having a dedicated RP-alt I rarely play on Discord for various reason. Which are all related to my experience with the partners I tried to play with there rather than the Discord service itself. Long story short I don't fancy on being pressured to answer every time I decide to log-in, the fact that all communication just magically stops if I have to log-out in the middle of the planning or play (ultimately the reason I gave up on trying to play on this platform was because it looked like almost no-one who contacted me knew that you can continue conversation/play and leave a message even if your partner isn't online... Or they just ignored the fact that I don't do rapid-fire plays and go at my own comfy pace.) or some demanding my 100% undivided attention to the play and starting to panic when they don't see me typing out a reply after five or ten minutes from their reply.

If I'm comfortable with the partner and we keep the same chill pace going as we are in the forums I'd be more comfortable with taking things to Discord or something, but usually I tend to dodge requests that are "Discord-only" due to my almost-exclusively negative experiences with them (there's one or two exceptions to the rule in my case, but not enough for me to warrant myself to go through that headache again)

Definitely glad the new off-site section in the forum. Makes it easier to find people who are willing to mainly stick on the forum especially after people (hopefully) migrate their "Discord only" threads there.

It may just be me and my experience, but I rarely have luck with Discord because people want to turn it into sexting and talking about me and not an rp. That and expecting me to talk all day long about bs or to be available on their time table.

If someone was easy going about it, and did not press for responses, or start asking me what I look like and personal things after a day or two, then I probably would use Discord more.

And the character limit pisses me off too. I like to be able to write a lot, or a little.

It may just be me and my experience, but I rarely have luck with Discord because people want to turn it into sexting and talking about me and not an rp. That and expecting me to talk all day long about bs or to be available on their time table.

If someone was easy going about it, and did not press for responses, or start asking me what I look like and personal things after a day or two, then I probably would use Discord more.

And the character limit pisses me off too. I like to be able to write a lot, or a little.
I think if you set ground rules and are up front about your expectations then it shouldn't be a problem. I use it and I have no issues like that.

I think if you set ground rules and are up front about your expectations then it shouldn't be a problem. I use it and I have no issues like that.
I was thinking I may add something right in my Request Thread about my expectations about Discord and then try it again. I do like being able to have a few rps right on there that I can do for long stretches of time so I do still want to use it if I can so I will try that.

What do people mean about a character limit in Discord? I've seen people mention it a few times but the only thing I can think of is that there's a maximum character limit in a single message. But why would that be an issue? Just send multiple messages. If you're worried about the other party replying while you're still writing up the second part just write it all out in something else and copy paste it in bit by bit. Is that what people are having a problem with or do they mean something else because I've never hit a limit like that.

What do people mean about a character limit in Discord? I've seen people mention it a few times but the only thing I can think of is that there's a maximum character limit in a single message. But why would that be an issue? Just send multiple messages. If you're worried about the other party replying while you're still writing up the second part just write it all out in something else and copy paste it in bit by bit. Is that what people are having a problem with or do they mean something else because I've never hit a limit like that.
There is a limit of 2,000 letter characters(including spaces) per message sent in Discord. For some folks, sending multiple messages might not be a hassle. Especially if you're simply splitting your post up 2-4 times. However for other folks who write with a lot of characters (the role kind not the letter kind) and do more novelesque posting, it's a bit ridiculous. My last post in an rp here was total 94,340 characters(excluding spaces). In Discord, I'd need to send it in 48 pieces(likely more like 50 or so because Discord counts the spaces).

That's not typical for me. It was a pretty big and crucial moving plot pieces type of post. But even my average post probably hits between 20-30k letter characters. That's still sending a post in an obscene amount of pieces through Discord.

It's perfectly fine for Discord to simply not work for some writers and for other avenues of writing to work better.

There is a limit of 2,000 letter characters(including spaces) per message sent in Discord. For some folks, sending multiple messages might not be a hassle. Especially if you're simply splitting your post up 2-4 times. However for other folks who write with a lot of characters (the role kind not the letter kind) and do more novelesque posting, it's a bit ridiculous. My last post in an rp here was total 94,340 characters(excluding spaces). In Discord, I'd need to send it in 48 pieces(likely more like 50 or so because Discord counts the spaces).

That's not typical for me. It was a pretty big and crucial moving plot pieces type of post. But even my average post probably hits between 20-30k letter characters. That's still sending a post in an obscene amount of pieces through Discord.

It's perfectly fine for Discord to simply not work for some writers and for other avenues of writing to work better.
Wow. I had no idea that some people posted so much. I can see in such cases the limit might actually be significant, then.

same. my average posts in Discord format need to be broken up into 3, 4, or sometimes even five pieces. It's a little annoying. But not a deal breaker. In fact, sometimes it's nice to world build on Discord to set up your channels with lore and such. make a channel for different aspects of the story. Like a well-documented repository. Of course, if you're not into worldbuilding around your characters, none of that really matters. lol

I can only imagine this is an edge case. That's so much writing per post. That's around ten pages in word, per post at 12 font size and Times New Roman. I would not take what this guy is saying as typical and as a serious issue as to why it would be a hassle to post in Discord. I highly doubt most role-plays are written to such an extreme. It might be his issue, but that's like saying houses are bad to live in, because there's always a draft when you park your car by driving through the front door.

The concerns of others where you'd maybe have to post three to five different messages is far more likely, and a much better gauge for what the experience will be like.

Discord is a medium like any other to me. I can see where if you're a real novella (As it is called) style poster, the posting rescrictions would suck, but I also think that many forums run into problems with really large posts.

My major issue with Discord is that I can be on Discord a lot, but that doesn't translate into being always free to RP. Some partners can get a bit pushy if they see you on discord and I just don't like that kinda pressure. If i don't want to RP on a forum, I can just close the tab or log of and do something else, but I use discord to talk to other friends, game, shitpost memes, and even talk to RL Friends. So it's something a bit harder to just 'ignore' or what have you.

Discord is a medium like any other to me. I can see where if you're a real novella (As it is called) style poster, the posting rescrictions would suck, but I also think that many forums run into problems with really large posts.

My major issue with Discord is that I can be on Discord a lot, but that doesn't translate into being always free to RP. Some partners can get a bit pushy if they see you on discord and I just don't like that kinda pressure. If i don't want to RP on a forum, I can just close the tab or log of and do something else, but I use discord to talk to other friends, game, shitpost memes, and even talk to RL Friends. So it's something a bit harder to just 'ignore' or what have you.
can't you just turn off your online status indicator? That's what I do, so no one knows if I'm online or not. That way, I'm only present where/when I make myself known

can't you just turn off your online status indicator? That's what I do, so no one knows if I'm online or not. That way, I'm only present where/when I make myself known
You're right in that I can, but I don't like 'lying' so to speak. I'd rather just tell someone I'm not interested in RP at the time rather than ignore them and possibly exacerbate a problem. The only issue is when I say that a few times in a row and some partners get irate over that. Which is ultimately their problem and not mine I suppose. Some nights I just want to vibe and play Deep Rock Galactic instead of writing smut, you know? It's a bit of a silly thing though so I can understand not really jiving with that explanation.

Back
Top Bottom