Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Introducing the Non-Forum Roleplay Request forums!

it's highly unlikely that rule 11 will change in regards to off site RP venues for these primary reasons.
If that's the case, then I see no use myself for that section, as the venue will always be at the discretion of my partner for 'normal' RPs. I bid you good day, sir!
good-day-i-said-good-day.gif

Of course this is still very early, and I'm aware of that.
But for me, searching for people to be willing to play on Discord has now increased in difficulty, not decreased.
Sure, the "I only play via Discord"-people like myself can be found in the subforum.
However, the "I'm open to whatever, including Discord" or "I prefer PMs, but Discord can be okay" kind of people seem to rarely make posts there.

Meaning I now have to go through 6 sub-forums instead of just 3.
I doubt this will change dramatically.

Which yet again makes me feel like somewhat of a second-class member here. Of course the situation has become more convenient for people who only play on-site, as RTs that are only for off-site aren't allowed in the old subforums anymore.

For people who look for Discord-people, it has become worse.
And it will either become even more worse because On-site stays mixed (as in, the two examples I mentioned above don't get reprimanded and stay).
Or it will become even more worse because people like the two examples mentioned above will not continue mentioning "Discordability" (XD) because of reprimands, but will also not make an Off-site-RT because they can't be arsed (it's one thing saying "sure, Discord is fine, don't care" and making a whole new RT).

People are habitual, people are lazy.
I don't see how the change that has been enacted will benefit on-siters and off-siters.
It feels like a city building car-centric infrastructure instead of mixed-traffic systems that can serve anyone equally.

Edit: To reiterate what I mentioned before:
I'm very much in favor of introducing some way to easily distuingish RTs that are open to off-site platforms from RTs that aren't.
I just stand by my point that the path taken was, besides either just making one gender-mixed subforum for off-site RTs (as in combining "requests by females, males and nb" into one) or straight up banning off-site RTs, the worst I can imagine for off-site RTs.

Being reprimanded for posting a recruitment RT for a preexisting group RP Discord server made me feel like a second-class member too, so I understand and share your frustration, @cy-one

I think the mods explained why that was against the rules, why they have that rule and that they are still in discussions about the rule, Captain Bond. BMR has rules I disagree with too, I understand it can be frustrating but I don't think I'd ever consider myself a second-class member because I have to follow those rules, or if I was chastised for breaking them. When it comes to rules, the mods have always treated me like I assume they treat everybody else.

I asked to give us time to discuss it. While some didn't want to wait, we have discussed it and a lot of this can be put to rest.

To captain_bond, while my staff did warn you within the letter of the rules as they were written, to mean that they weren't wrong, we've clarified the rules and are in the middle of repurposing them for better understanding and more freedom to write with partners. Please accept my apologies for any misunderstand and let's move forward.

In how we are repurposing Rule 11, we will now permit members to seek group RP within their Request Thread to be carried over to Discord. There will be stipulations. Firstly, this is only to permit a singular story from your BMR RT to the group/channel in DIscord (or Google Docs and so on) to mean that you may not establish a Discord (or otherwise) 'community' to negate the purpose of BMR. It is as simple as using an RT, and RPing the agreed upon plot of that RT on Discord. There shall be no linking to other RP venues, no including non-BMR members within the group, nothing other than exclusively BMR members using Discord for the RP.

These Discord groups are on the honor system. You are using BMR to seek out writing partners and these writing partners adhere to BMR rules. If you transition from BMR to Discord, you are still bound by BMR rules and should there be any violation of the rules within the group and we obtain proof of such, full discipline will apply as a consequence for anyone found to be in violation of the rules. In short, you may now use your RT to seek a group RP for Discord, but only for that purpose and not to establish a community or to enable any kind of poaching. BMR is the community, and your Discord channel is simply the venue in which you will engage with BMR members.

We will announce when the modified Rule 11 is up, so again, please give us some time. We've got more than one thing that we're working on. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

I asked to give us time to discuss it. While some didn't want to wait, we have discussed it and a lot of this can be put to rest.

To captain_bond, while my staff did warn you within the letter of the rules as they were written, to mean that they weren't wrong, we've clarified the rules and are in the middle of repurposing them for better understanding and more freedom to write with partners. Please accept my apologies for any misunderstand and let's move forward.

In how we are repurposing Rule 11, we will now permit members to seek group RP within their Request Thread to be carried over to Discord. There will be stipulations. Firstly, this is only to permit a singular story from your BMR RT to the group/channel in DIscord (or Google Docs and so on) to mean that you may not establish a Discord (or otherwise) 'community' to negate the purpose of BMR. It is as simple as using an RT, and RPing the agreed upon plot of that RT on Discord. There shall be no linking to other RP venues, no including non-BMR members within the group, nothing other than exclusively BMR members using Discord for the RP.

These Discord groups are on the honor system. You are using BMR to seek out writing partners and these writing partners adhere to BMR rules. If you transition from BMR to Discord, you are still bound by BMR rules and should there be any violation of the rules within the group and we obtain proof of such, full discipline will apply as a consequence for anyone found to be in violation of the rules. In short, you may now use your RT to seek a group RP for Discord, but only for that purpose and not to establish a community or to enable any kind of poaching. BMR is the community, and your Discord channel is simply the venue in which you will engage with BMR members.

We will announce when the modified Rule 11 is up, so again, please give us some time. We've got more than one thing that we're working on. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Thanks for the response, this seems like a reasonable change to me. Hopefully this issue can be put to bed now.

This so-called 'Off-Site Roleplay Request section' is, in my opinion, a complete and total waste of time and resources if Site Rule 11 remains an absolute and is not amended to reflect the existence of the new subforums.

RT's for Roleplaying Off-Site​
RT's for Your Private Discord Server​
These are Request Threads seeking to RP off-site with other members of the same community, and while it may be a "waste of time" for your cause, a distinction between audience (forum-writers, off-site writers) allows members within those groups to find each more easily. Inclusive.This is you using BMR as a bulletin board for off-site recruitment. It's tacky as hell and you'll be hard pressed to find many communities that will actually allow you to do what you're trying to do which is literally headhunt its members. Exclusive.

I noticed that when not logged in, the new off-site forums are not visible, while the on-site forums are. Is this intentional?

Please note that any RT within the On-Site forum with Discord, Google Docs or e-mail listed within the title will be moved to the Off-Site forum. Do not advertise for Off-Site in your RT title within the On-Site forum.

You may include within your On-Site RT that you are also up for taking the RP to Discord/Google Docs/e-mail, but do not advertise Off-Site within the title, as it will be treated as an Off-Site RT. The key word there is 'also', meaning that you are still advertising for writing stories on-site via an RP thread or via BMR PM system.

Should you keep posting RTs for Off-Site within On-Site and we keep moving them to Off-Site, and your Off-Site tallies higher than the two (2) allotted per section, you will receive a warning. The onus is on you to keep track of your RTs.

I’m back after a break and I love this. I keep going through request thread after request thread only to spot the dreaded ‘only play on Discord’. Honestly, it seems like there are still more of these than RTs that are willing to play on Bluemoon. Obviously, the clean up is still a work in progress, but I applaud the effort.

Hello,

We are making the Off-Site RT section hidden from public view to reduce Discord leeching type spam, as well as preventing non-members from contacting BMR members via their posted Discord info found within these threads. In order to view this section, one will need to be logged onto the site.

~ BMR Staff

I love this too, thank you.

Is there a chance of doing the same with the System, Freeform, and Open groups as well?

Personally I have never really understood the point of seeking roleplay (whether 1x1 or group) only to set it up off site. It might of course be just me but I fail to see the advantage of discord compared to BMR. I have gone off site once for a 1x1 by request from my partner but to me it was just one more thing to keep track of. I am also currently involved in a (virtually dead) group on discord (an attempted revival continued from another RP site (the infamous F-List) due to how forums and PMs are set up on that site) and there is nothing there that couldn't be done here, except of course in this case that the members of said group come from various sites.

If I'm honest I hope this addition of an Off-Site Roleplay Request will make it easier for those of us who aren't here to play through discord (or any of the other specified methods). Few things are as annoying as that phrase (usually found at the end of a Request Thread): I only play on discord. Well one thing perhaps and that is if you've spent days setting up a scenario and discussing the plot through BMR PMs only to then find out that the other person only play through discord.

Maybe it is just me but I don't get it, and I certainly don't get what all the fuss is about.

Yes, the implementation of an Off-Site forum was to make the searching through RTs easier for everyone. There are people that prefer On-Site via thread or PM, and there are people that prefer Off-Site via Discord or e-mail. This separation allows for each group to stay in their own circles and let people only interact with those seeking similar venues for writing.

NOTICE:

Please note that we've included another section within the Off-Site forum. It now permits seeking System / Group / Open RP.

Rules to note:

1. You shall use the proper prefix for sorting purposes. If you are seeking a group RP, then you must select the GROUP prefix, System RP must use the SYSTEM prefix and the Open RP must use the OPEN RP prefix.
  2. All BMR & Off-Site rules apply. Your Off-Site System / Group / Open RP shall not include non-BMR members. Zero exceptions.

Back
Top Bottom