Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Introducing the Non-Forum Roleplay Request forums!

Revelations

He'll smite you with metaphor fists!
Staff member
Administrator
Bluemooners,

We have placed a new Request Thread section for those seeking writing partners off-site. For those seeking off-site (Discord / Google Docs / e-mail and similar), please place your Request Thread within the Non-Forum Roleplay section. We will afford two weeks (ending 08/15/2022) for members to migrate their non-forum based RTs over to the new section dedicated for said purpose.

You may simply copy/paste your old RT and post a new RT in the new section (and don't forget to delete your old RT), or you may message any Moderator, Officer or Admin to move the RT over for you.

Please note that you are still bound by BMR site rules as you are using BMR to engage with these writing partners. Should another member file a complaint in regards to your conduct, even though it is off-site on the likes of Discord or Google Docs, violating site rules such as underage characters or other rule infractions will result in disciplinary action on-site.

Additionally, for those following a member to their off-site venue, please understand that we do not control those venues, so if they lead you to a site that they own, or host their own hotlinked content, they may be able to obtain your IP address. Essentially: Follow & enter at your own risk.

As always, enjoy and happy writing!

PLEASE NOTE: That any RT within the On-Site forum with Discord, Google Docs or e-mail listed within the title will be moved to the Off-Site forum. Do not advertise for Off-Site in your RT title within the On-Site forum.

You may include within your On-Site RT that you are also up for taking the RP to Discord/Google Docs/e-mail, but do not advertise Off-Site within the title, as it will be treated as an Off-Site RT. The key word there is 'also', meaning that you are still advertising for writing stories on-site via an RP thread or via BMR PM system.

Should you keep posting RTs for Off-Site within On-Site and we keep moving them to Off-Site, and your Off-Site tallies higher than the two (2) allotted per section, you will receive a warning. The onus is on you to keep track of your RTs.

Sweet. 👍

Question (not that this applies to me): If a person wants to write both in-forum and off-forum, do they make separate RTs for each medium? If so, does that effectively double the number of active RTs they can have (Onsite/Offsite, then Male/Female/Other), or is the number of RTs still restricted by category (Male/Female/Other) and medium is not considered?

Yes, they should have an RT in the appropriate forum, so if you are open to both on-site and off-site, you may place RTs in both. Please do your diligence in editing in/out the part of the RT where you explain where you're looking to take the RP. "For the plots listed below, I'd like to write over threads or PM." for on-site & "For the plots listed below, I'd like to take our writing over to Discord/Google Docs" for off-site.

I suppose you could just have your main RT within the on-site section and state within the RT that you write over Threads, PMs and Discord (et al) and not bother with having a copy/pasted version of the same RT within the off-site section, but if you write over one and not the other, it must be in the appropriate forum.

Excellent work as ever, y'all! I'm so glad to see that these are separated now. Thank you, mod and admin team, for all that you do!

We felt that you could express your interest for free form, system or group within your request thread. Your RT in the Non-Forum section is to take your role play off-site, which is where you manage it, not us, so you can express what you are looking to do off-site within your RT. This is just to help facilitate you to seek partners to take to your venue, where you can establish it however you wish.

Neat. I tend to go with "I mostly play on-site but if you prefer elsewhere that's cool too", so I've never personally felt the need for a divide, but I imagine it'll be useful for those who specifically play off-site or exclusively on-site.

Will the gender tags (FxAny, etc.) be available for those subforums too?

*sigh* Really not a fan of this.
While I personally appreciate the ability to see better who is willing to play via Discord, it also means this hard cut will result in all new Off-Site RTs will take a massive dive in getting responses that'll probably last for quite a while, considering how much of a creature of habit people are.

I would've much more preferred an additional tag (like the FxM thingies) to signal off-site. That way wouldn't basically cripple those RTs for months.
Or creating dedicated subforums for each and archiving the old mixed ones, so it can't get overlooked.

Personally speaking, I think this is an amazing change for the long term. I can't tell you how many times I've had to look at a search thread, find it interesting, only to see the dreaded 'I only roleplay in Discord' somewhere in said post, which is simply not what I'm here for. Likewise, people who seek exclusively Discord RP will also benefit from this change, as they won't have to deal with people who don't want Discord RP.

In the short term this is going to be a mess to sort out, and an absolute pain to deal with for everyone involved - especially the staff. But in the long term this is a beneficial and healthy change to the forums.

I agree a way to distinguish more easily between People willing to use Offsite platforms or not was needed.
I just can't think of a worse way to implement it besides banning RTs with Offsite platforms mentioned.

While harsh language, this isn't meant as an insult. It's just a result of my frustration and the expectation for months of additional and needless frustration.

i mean, i don't even care where it is. Discord or here... I just wanna find a Space Opera Group RP. Discord tends to have more chance of group stuff... but the drawback is that Discord Group RP servers tend to be low on the literacy scale.

In my opinon, this is nice. I've always wanted a way to check this adult-oriented site for potential group RP servers on Discord, and now they have it.... sorta. Still not exactly sure how that gets advertised. Since there isn't a Group RP section for the off-site section

This so-called 'Off-Site Roleplay Request section' is, in my opinion, a complete and total waste of time and resources if Site Rule 11 remains an absolute and is not amended to reflect the existence of the new subforums.

This so-called 'Off-Site Roleplay Request section' is, in my opinion, a complete and total waste of time and resources if Site Rule 11 remains an absolute and is not amended to reflect the existence of the new subforums.
What about site rule 11 seems to be the problem?

The fact that anyone who, for example, already has an existing group RP Discord server and wishes to expand it are effectively deplatformed on Blue Moon by that rule.

The "Off-Site Roleplay Request Section" is only for those looking to RP off site on Discord, Google Docs, Email or a similar platform. In the forums, at the top, it says you are still subject to the site rules, one of which is site rule 11. It is very clear in how it is to be used and per Ava:

We are discussing it at the staff level about expanding upon it. Give us some time to discuss it.

This could change, but as of right now, the rules stand that there is no adverting offsite discord serves or other RP sites.

So then change it.
It is being discussed and demanding we change it will not make it happen any faster. There are other ways for you to promote your discord that do not include the site.

The fact that anyone who, for example, already has an existing group RP Discord server and wishes to expand it are effectively deplatformed on Blue Moon by that rule.
Hmm, but that section is for organising off site roleplays, not advertising your server, right? As far as I can tell, that seems fine. An off-site roleplay and a discord server dedicated to finding roleplays that cannot be moderated effectively by BMR staff are two very different things.

The 'No advertising for off site forums, discord groups, or any other roleplaying sites' is primarily there because BMR wants to foster a sense of community on the forums and to keep the forum members primarily interested in the forums themselves. Off-site roleplaying is primarily limited to 1x1's as it's less likely to cause the site to bleed members. Additionally, it's already hard enough for us to deal with rule breakages through off site RP's, and given that discord servers or off site RP venues would have their own rules, BMR cannot, and would not, be able to get involved in rules disputes on these other platforms. It creates a headache for staff and there is no easy cure.

While I won't ever say 'never', it's highly unlikely that rule 11 will change in regards to off site RP venues for these primary reasons.

Back
Top Bottom