Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Lands of the Demon King Revised (OOC Thread)

Morathor

Supernova
Current Players:
JoSchmoe
Ahlanna
Rising of the Moon

This will be the OOC thread for the Despair and Desire campaign, Lands of the Demon King Revised. OOC chatter, planning, character workshopping, and all that can be done here.

To start with, we should probably go over what sorts of kinks everyone wants to see, anything anyone wants to avoid, and what sorts of characters you all have in mind. There's been some discussion of each player having multiple characters; three players with two characters each sounds fine to me, but if not everyone is on board with that, I can certainly balance the game around three characters.

What does everyone have in mind?

I'm working on a sorceress who uses light and dark powers to control and utilize Desire. In general, light powers self-inflict Desire, and dark powers are fueled by desire.
Light-Dark2.png

My initial feel is 4/4/8 on the stat line, but this is very much a work in progress.

For a second character, if we're doing second characters, it would depend on party need. Maybe this one if we need a fighter (though don't let me stop someone else from playing one - I can absolutely do something else):
kit2.jpg

She'd probably have more stats than powers, something like 8/5/5, maybe.

Hey everybody, and thanks for having me!

As for characters, I'm planning on bringing a duelist noble. I'm at work and can't get into stats right now, but I'm aiming for a high-damage glass cannon. If renaissance flintlock firearms are allowed, I'll probably lean into that.
Dungeon+waifu+iii+reverse+gold+digger+edition+1+margravine+ottilia_632c23_6934102.jpg

If we do second characters, which I'm personally totally down for, I could bring a cleric for protective magic and whatever limited healing we can squeeze out of the system, or alternatively go for a napoleonic-style soldier fighting with musket and bayonet.

Last edited:
I don't see any reason we can't have early firearms. It's fine if you want to make it a pretty basic ranged attack, but a very strong attack with drawbacks might also be worth considering. If you want to focus on the hassle of reloading, it could be something that you can only do once in a combat, or something that takes your whole turn--one action to fire, one action to reload. If you want more flexibility (at the cost of points or power) it could be something you can take an action to reload, but don't have to if you have more pressing needs for that action.

Awesome!

And yeah, I do want it to feel different from a fast-firing weapon like a bow, but I was also considering a Brace of Pistols mechanic in some way. Right now I have two different ideas for that.

Option A, keeping it simple
  • Pistol(Piercing) Roll +Freedom against the target’s Freedom defence to hit. Deals 2 Strength damage. This attack can be used at range, but only once per turn. Total cost is 2 points (One two-point aug, one one-point aug, one one-point penalty)
  • Brace of Pistols (Piercing) Roll +Freedom against the target's Freedom defence to hit. This attack targets all creatures in a melee group and deals 2 Strength damage. This attack can be used at range, but only once per turn and once per scene. Total cost is 2 points (Two two-point augs, one one-point aug, one one-point penalty, one two-point penalties)
Option B, not simple
  • Pistol(Piercing) Roll +Freedom against the target's Freedom defence to hit. Deals 2 Strength damage. This attack can be used at range. It uses one loaded pistol from your Brace, and cannot be used if no pistols are loaded.
  • Hail of Bullets (Piercing) Roll +Freedom against the target's Freedom defence to hit. Deals 2 Strength damage. This attack can be used at range. It requires both of your actions and uses up all loaded pistols in your Brace. For each pistol spent, target one creature with this attack. You need at least one loaded pistol in your brace to use this Technique.
  • Brace of Pistols - You have a Brace of pistols that can Hold up to four loaded pistols. You start with all pistols loaded unless you are surprised in an area presumed safe. As an action, you can reload one empty pistol and replace it in your brace.
It's a bit more flexible, but I have not the slightest idea how to price it, point-wise.

I was also thinking about a general penalty of "Pistols cant be used while soaking wet", but again, what would that be priced at?

Also, question, when using an attack that "targets all creatures in a melee group", can I choose not to target friendly characters in that group?

The more complicated versions are definitely buildable, but yeah I'm going back and forth on the point values...

One thing I will say with option A, those are both a bit underpriced. They both have two one-point augmentations: they can be used at a range, and they always use the target's Freedom defense (as opposed to their guard). But that could potentially be balanced out with the "pistols don't work while wet", which I'd say is fairly straightforward. The tag system is pretty malleable--the ones given in the google doc are just an example for a game, they don't have to be the ones we use in our game. If you want your character to have, functionally, a weakness to water, we can easily include a "water" or maybe "soaking" tag, and I can make sure that you will encounter it from time to time. Then we have something like, "When you are hit with a soaking technique, you can't use your pistols for the rest of the scene."

oh wait
the freedom instead of guard thing wasn't actually intended, I messed that up during writing by failing to remember Guard is a thing.

But yeah, I am down for the wet thing, and if you think Option B can be made work I think I'd prefer it.

Okay, so we're probably looking at something like:
Special Technique: Pistol Shot (2 points, Piercing)-- Expend one stack of Brace of Pistols, then roll +Freedom to hit. Deals 2 Strength damage. This can be used at a range.
Special Technique (2 points): Hail of Bullets-- Expend all stacks of your Brace of Pistols, then roll +Freedom to hit. Deals 2 Strength damage. This can be used at a range, and targets one enemy for each stack of Brace of Pistols expended, using the same roll for each. This takes two actions.
Passive Ability: Brace of Pistols (1 point, Equipment)-- You start each scene with 4 stacks of Brace of Pistols, which you may expend as part of your special techniques. As an action, you may regain one spent stack (not to exceed 4). If you are hit with a soaking effect, you lose all stacks of Brace of Pistols and cannot regain them this scene.

That sounds fantastic, thanks!

Also, a question - how many weaknesses are we allowed to pick? Because I also have ideas for some melee fencing techniques, but obviously I also need points for stats.

There is technically no limit on weaknesses, as long as they are all exploitable. If they overlap or exclude each other too much, there may be an issue.

Neat! The rules said it is up to the GM, hence I asked. I'll probably find time tomorrow to sit down and do full character creation. Have you heard anything more from the others yet? :/

Still fleshing out my ideas, I'm leaning towards Rogue for one build or a magus/paladin for the other.

But glad to see the above exchange, gives me a better feel for how to build abilities/characteristics.

Hey folks. I'm very sorry, but I'll have to bow out of this. I picked up several RPs this last month, but I'm finding that I'm having trouble even keeping up with the active ones, so I'm stepping back from everything that's not already running at the moment. I do apologize if this causes trouble. I was looking forward to this, and I hope it still goes ahead to be an awesome game, but even if I were to push ahead right now I would most likely just slow everybody down.

I understand, and thanks for letting us know. Two players with two characters each is more than enough to continue, but I did also have another interested person I could follow up with.

But I don't want to pull them in if no one else is interested; I haven't heard from anyone in a while. Do we want to take another stab at getting this going, or would everyone rather let it go?

Back
Top Bottom