Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Star Wars Saga: Dawn of Defiance - Episode I: The Traitor's Gambit

When Zorah closed her eyes, Maj knew what she was doing, but they couldn't have other people knowing that. They'd been through the routine before. "Another migraine," he said softly, not wanting to distract her. Unfortunately, it wasn't the most convincing of lies, but hopefully it made enough sense that Gundark didn't question it.

He nodded at her caution, finding it less humorous than normal. "Yeah, take care, get some rest if ya can." He tried to continue playing up the migraine angle. He turned back to Gundark. "So what's been going on?"

D20+7=9 (great job dice)

@Penny

The protocol droid continually to dutifully translate Litki’s cries as the Jawa backed towards the entrance, but it wasn’t doing her much good. Her continued bargaining just seemed to anger the Twi’lek; his voice steadily grew louder and louder until he was shouting back at her across the length of his store.

“No! Absolutely not! No deal! Are you deaf, Jawa? There’s no work for you here! Get out of my-”

Suddenly, he fell silent — just as Litki, moving backwards, felt herself abruptly collide with a hard, armored body. A pair of Imperial Stormtroopers had just entered the store behind her.

The Twi’lek cleared his throat and shifted his weight back behind his counter, trying to regain his composure as a white gauntleted hand reached down to close tightly over Litki’s shoulder. A menacing silence settled over the store as the trooper slowly looked down at Litki, then back to the shopkeeper. From the look on his face, he definitely hadn’t been expecting them; in fact, his threat about calling them may have just been bluster.

“Do we have a problem, here?” the trooper asked the room at large, voice rasping through his mask.

@Tenshi @Yellow Brick Road @Anla'Shok @Ahlanna

Up on the catwalk, Ami’s admirer’s smile widened into a toothy grin at her response. “Something like that,” he said, as he moved a little closer — too close for comfort, in fact. “Actually, my friend and I were going to ask if *you* needed any help. These are still dangerous times, you know. It’s not safe to loiter alone for too long; especially if you’re an offworlder.” Up close, the man’s face reminded her a little of a womp rat; he had small, beady eyes and a mop of thin, black hair.

His friend didn’t seem to be paying the two much attention; he was still staring intently down from the catwalk, at something in the crowd below. Suddenly, he gave an alarmed shout. “Skig, it’s her!”

Emerging from the cantina, it only took Zorah a moment to locate her target. The woman hadn’t yet gone very far, and seemed to be doing her best to stick to the crowd. As Zorah watched, however, she realized that the woman’s path was taking her towards two approaching Stormtroopers — the two who had just stopped Ada’koyi moments earlier, in fact. The woman noticed them, too, and turned abruptly to head the other direction; and that’s when the overhead watcher’s shout rang out from above.

“Gundark’s cantina! Grey mechanic’s jacket, headed towards the west — no, east exit!” Ami saw the man shout into the collar of his jacket, loud enough that she could catch what he was saying — and then he produced a small blaster from his front pocket. His friend took a rapid step away from her, apparently no longer interested, and hurried towards the catwalk’s railing.

The woman swore under her breath, and broke into a run. She was still unsteady on her feet, and didn’t make it very far before stumbling and falling — directly into Monisa, who she clung to tightly for support. The young Tapani felt something warm and wet seeping through her clothing where the stranger’s body pressed against her, and both she and Ada could see a clear look of desperation on the woman’s face. Her eyes fell for a moment on Ada’s blaster, and she breathlessly begged, “Please, help me! I - I have credits!”

The patrolling pair of stormtroopers began to push their way through the crowd towards the three of them. “Get away from that woman!” One shouted. The other took a more aggressive approach, raising their rifle and calling to their partner, “What are you doing? Just blast them both!”

Someone screamed, and the crowd exploded in panic as the station’s populace hurried to clear the trooper’s paths.

OOC: You all have a moment to act, if you would like, but if anyone wants to take any obviously aggressive action it'll be time to roll Initiative.

@kckolbe

Moments before chaos erupted outside, the grizzled cantina owner fixed Maj with a skeptical eyebrow. “Migraine, huh?” He sounded dubious — and glanced over for a moment to watch Zorah as she hurried towards the exit — but then turned back to Maj with a disinterested shrug, evidently deciding that whatever she was up to wasn’t his business. “Nothing too interesting, Cerean. Times are peaceful, business is good. Enjoy your drink.” And with those rather dismissive words, he turned away, apparently not especially interested in conversation with his customer.

That didn’t leave Maj by himself very long, though, because there was another customer who was rather interested in speaking with him. The Chadra-Fan by the bar had slipped out of his seat and was strolling towards Maj’s booth, passing Gundark on the way. Upon arriving, he unceremoniously invited himself in, sliding right into Zorah’s recently unoccupied seat — then paused for a moment, lifting one his leathery ears, as he listened to the muffled commotion coming from outside.

“Well, that sounds bad,” he muttered, with a shake of his head, though he didn’t really sound too concerned by the thought. Like many of his kind, the Chadra-Fan had a squeaky voice, and spoke quite quickly — though he wasn’t too difficult to understand, even over the noise of the cantina. “I hope your friend is ok. It’s a shame we couldn’t meet; she seemed like a nice sort. Ah well. Just us, then, I suppose. I’m Tenda Feek.”

The Chadra-Fan leant his hands on the table, and leant forward as he lowered his voice to a more conspiratorial whisper. “And you’d be Maj-Esyuu, yes? A mutual friend asked that I meet you here. I believe that you and I have business to discuss.”

th98de.png

A new, overwhelming rush of petrichor gushed out of Litki as the white gauntlet squeezed her shoulder. Whatever she was about to say to the shopkeeper was suddenly forgotten, the words dwindling to nothing in her throat as quickly and unceremoniously as an electric light winking out. With dreadful slowness, Litki's head craned up to meet the sneer of the stormtrooper's helmet. She followed the trooper's gaze to the store owner, but after only a few seconds, it returned to the trooper.

If they arrested her and searched her, she was done. If they arrested her and didn't bother searching her, it's probably because she was already done. Litki's hand started to shake, so she clasped them in front of herself, her eyes darting around the room and looking for escape. No, running wouldn't work, but - the protocol droid. It translated everything she said even when the store owner was shouting at her. Would it translate for her now?

<<No, sir,>> she said slowly. Her voice quavered, but maybe the troopers wouldn't notice if they were only listening to the droid's relay of her words. <<The honored merchant bid me goodbye, and I was just leaving.>>

Her head turned, glancing over her shoulder at the entrance before looking back up at the trooper holding her. <<...backwards.>>

Last edited:
Leanna_decker.jpg
Ami Shatterstar

There was so much going on and yet it all happened in a few heartbeats...

But the lead up was what gave Ami direction. Ami was proud of her body and liked the attention she got showing it off. This neck of the woods was a rather more modest than her home, but even back home you didn't dress like her for long without attracting more than a little unwanted attention.

Usually, Ami knew how to handle it. A stern but polite rebuff, make it clear she wasn't interested. If he took that in good graces, maybe she'd think better of him if he tried again someday. If that failed, though, a witty comment about how the guy had a nose like a womp rat and maybe a fist to the face would fix it. That flavor of rebuff got her a few different reactions. Usually there was more than one guy around who would offer to do it for her. Or there wasn't and the guy got pissed, but brawling between genders was taboo back home. Real fights? Life or death? All bets were off. The vicious predators and harsh weather beyond the city walls had taught had left them no illusions about the difference between a brawl, a duel, and a fight. But a brawl? He wouldn't commit to that. If he would, guys who hadn't cared before would dog pile him before she could throw a punch...

And she could throw a punch.

It was when the guy had a girl desperate enough to get his attention to step in for him that things got ugly.

Yet this guy was...

Off.

It wasn't the face of a womp rat. It was the eyes. There were people more savage and deceptive than a simple predator.

This was one.

It wasn't in Ami's nature to back down in the face of what she could only call evil. Doubly so when someone else's life was clearly on the line.

The redhead's hand went behind her back, under her cloak, and she surged across the few intervening steps to hold a keen edged survival knife at the guy's throat. "There's a lot of innocent people down there," Ami hissed. "How about you put that away before someone gets hurt?"

Last edited:
"Station, sure. But everyone passes through Brentaal at some point, right?" Given its location at a galactic crossroads, it's a bit of an exaggeration, but an understandable one. "You know, you'd really think …"

Still finding it a bit weird that Monisa is just … talking to her, Ada is alert to her surroundings. With pilot's instinct to avoid collision and well-endowed reflex, she is already slipping out of the way of the stumbling woman when she notices Monisa is … well, not.

"… look out!"
No-Trouble-Here.png

1d20 (13) + 7 = 20

But it's too late. And that's just the beginning of the mess. The woman is favoring one side and … was that? Ada had seen enough injured humans to recognize their oddly colored rust-blood without more than a half-second's pause.

However, the first thing you learn in the military is to follow orders. So when the troopers start shouting, Ada half-raises her hands, making it clear there's no weapons in them, and takes a couple steps back from the scene. Sure, the woman is talking about credits, but that's just the thing a criminal would say, wasn't it? Like the smugglers that had tried to subtly offer to buy her off when she was on patrol. It would make her hackles stand up, if she had hackles. Instead, her tchun just shifts 10 degrees to the left in annoyance.

Then again, after a beat, Ada's impulse fades a bit. After all, she *was* here looking for mercenary work, wasn't she? Sure, she hadn't technically taken any yet, but it didn't really leave her with a ton of room for looking down on people offering credits for protection, did it? Of course, in this case, she's clearly looking for protection from the Republic. Empire. And she was clearly wounded, so a little basic compassion was deserved.

The Empire might be less concerned about its citizens than the Republic. But nothing is more important to the bureaucrats who run things than every jot and tiddle of each stupid form is properly filled out. Your average government official wouldn't call the fireship brigade to save a burning transport without a release of liability, a non-discrimination waiver and a formal request in triplicate. Not unless he knew someone on the transport anyhow. Paperwork never goes down. Ada would bet that any new Imperial authority would simply slap their own forms on top of the existing Republic ones. Even the officious trooper had to know that.

Raising her voice, the twi'lek calls to the troopers, "The woman seems pretty badly hurt. I've got some first aid training, and I'd bet you're not looking forward to the 'death in custody' reports. Give me a chance to make your day easier, and I'll patch her up before you haul her off."

Monisa heard the troopers as they prepared to fire and Monisa looked around while Ada tried to stall the troopers and began moving to the cover she saw and when she gets there she has a mind to lay her down and then try and keep pressure on the wound as a best guess reaction as she has no real medical training.

@Penny

The stormtrooper held Litki’s gaze as the protocol droid translated her words, staring down at her with the unfeeling, expressionless gaze of his helmet. He made no attempt to get out of her way.

“You know…” he said slowly, “... my sergeant served on Tatooine. He told me all about you Jawas; said you’re little rodents that’ll grab anything that isn’t nailed down.”

Suddenly Litki felt a rough hand against her back as the trooper shoved her harshly forward, not caring whether she stumbled or fell.

“Empty those pouches, Jawa,” he ordered. “Pockets, too.”

The Twi’lek looked for a moment like he might object — his mouth opened, beginning to form a word — but at the last second he seemed to think better of it, and glanced shamefully away.

@Ahlanna @Anla'Shok @Yellow Brick Road @Tenshi

The approaching troopers did hesitate for a moment at Ada’s call — buying Monisa a moment to help the wounded woman into cover behind the collectibles stall — but they didn’t stop for long, or back down. The lead trooper shook his head sharply.

“This isn’t your problem, tail-head!” He called back harshly; Ada vaguely recognised his voice as belonging to the friendlier of the two she’d encountered earlier, though of course they were similar enough that it was hard to be sure. “Step aside! Last warning!”

From her place by the cantina’s entrance, Zorah saw the other trooper’s finger beginning to tighten on his rifle’s trigger. They were only a short dash away…

Up on the catwalk, the man with the blaster pistol froze as he suddenly found Ami’s dagger at his throat. His eyes grew wide, staring down at the exposed blade, and a bead of sweat began to run down the side of his face.

“Y-you’re making a mistake!” He stammered. “I-I’m with the Empire! Y-you don’t want to cross us!”

Behind her, the man’s friend produced a second pistol from his own jacket and trained it on the redhead’s back. The weapon shook in his hands. “Back off!” He shouted, shrilly. “I’m warning you! I’ll shoot!”

Behind the stall, the dark-haired woman’s hand closed loosely over Monisa’s as the young botanist tried to place pressure on her wounds. The woman’s dark eyes were wide with fear, and her touch left blood on Monisa’s hand. “Please,” she repeated, softly, pleading, “Don’t let them take me!”

OOC: Switching over to combat timing! Zorah has a surprise round during which she can take a single standard, move or swift action, after which the combat order is:

Zorah - 23
Monisa - 22
Stormtroopers (x2) - 19
Ada - 16
Imperial Informants (x2) - 11
Ami - 3

Penny, kckolbe, you're both good to keep posting whenever for now.

Zorah saw the situation deteriorating quickly. A twi'lek soldier seemed to be negotiating with the troopers. That was a stop-gap measure, to be sure, but it allowed for Zorah to do what she knew she had to. The feeling of the Force flowing through her was steady, comforting. It reminded her that she was on the right path. She would radio Maj when she had time, if he didn't hear the commotion and come out on his own. For now, she would have to hope that their meager resistance was enough.

With a swiftness her kind were known for, the young Jedi sprang into action. Fast footfalls made barely a sound as she closed the distance between her and the confused troopers. Small as she was, Master Yoda had trained her well. Size wasn't the only factor in a battle. Training and discipline mattered far more. She drew her sword and sprung forward, bearing down on the first trooper's flank. As blade clattered against armor, she rolled behind the man's body, effectively blocking most angles of fire. It was another benefit of being smaller than your opponent. Small targets were harder to hit, especially when they were fast and hiding behind your friends. Not that being an ally would spare you from blaster fire when it came to the Empire. "Get her to safety! I'll hold the troopers off." Her words rang with the authority of an officer, and she supposed they should. She had been a general, after all.

Monisa kept on on the wound and with her free hand drew her sporting blaster pistol and took sight on one of the troopers not engaged in melee. She did not respond to the injured women to keep her focus on shooting on of the troopers. She pulled the trigger and waited with baited breath to see if she lands the shot.
Attack Roll:
rolled: 1d20, adding 2 to the total
Comment:
Result: 10,
Total: 12
Damage Roll:
rolled: 3d4
Comment:
Result: 1, 4, 1,
Total: 6

"What the-?!"

Both stormtroopers whirled in alarm as Zorah burst from the crowd, but they reacted far too slowly to actually stop the Jedi before she was upon them. While her blade initially skittered off the trooper's plastoid composite armour, as Zorah whirled behind her target her motion pulled the weapon down towards the more vulnerable joints of the trooper's elbow. The sword cut deep; with a cry of pain, the trooper collapsed to his knees, his rifle falling from his hands to clatter against the walkway at his feet. A second later, the Imperial passed out.

The second trooper brought his rifle to bear against Zorah, but before he could pull the trigger Monisa's sporting blaster rang out. Her shot went wide, but the second threat forced the Imperial to realize just how precarious his situation had suddenly become. "I-Insurgents on the Promenade!" He shouted, sounding panicked, as he backed away from his sword-wielding assailant. "We need backup down here!"

As he moved, he squeezed off a hurried shot — but the red bolt, too, went wide, likely owing to his panic, and hit nothing but the Promenade's durasteel walls.

OOC: @Ahlanna Ada is up!

wtf.png
Wait, what? Ada blinks in surprise, as some sword slinger rushes out of nowhere to slash at one of the trooper's arms. And he somehow goes down. Ada had fought training dummies with more combat effectiveness. Fortunately this problem doesn't really concern her … What in the name of Nothan was that?!?

Wheeling as a blast lances out from behind her. Lekku dance as her head spins. Staring at the quiet little researcher. Fuck, she really was up to something after all. But she seemed so innocuous.

Not my problem, not my problem.

True, that. But that one woman had been in bad shape. And no matter what the trooper said, it wasn't like the Republic was gonna arrest her for just dispensing medical aid. Especially if in the process she got good info on an apparent cadre of seps embedded at Brentaal.

"What the shit did you get me into? Why are you … shooting the police?" She complains loudly, trying to establish a record that this is all a complete surprise to her.

Then she dashes over to the wounded woman, attempting to kneel down in cover to administer first aid. If she absolutely must, she'll do without the cover, but it's decidedly preferred.

Roll 1d20 + 7 => 15

Maj nodded, sticking to the story. Nothing too interesting he thought, doubting that very much. He tried to watch where the man headed after leaving the booth, but the Chadra-Fan jumped in before he could see where, and then the sounds outside got his attention.

"Yeah, it does," he admitted, but didn't volunteer more than that, given that he didn't want to give away Zorah's possible involvement in that. "Nice to meet you," he continued, not bothering to introduce himself since he was sure that his drinking partner knew who he was. That was soon confirmed, and he nodded to acknowledge it. "What kind of business you have in mind?" he asked.

th98de.png

Okay, thought Litki. This might work. The only illegal thing on her person was her pistol, and that was hidden under her robes, not on her belt or in her pockets. That was assuming the stormtroopers cared and wouldn't look for a reason to arrest her just because, of course.

<<Yes, sir,>> Litki said, emptying the pouches of her utility belt. <<There are many Jawa on Tattooine. Many thieves. It's so different here! I learned how to live honestly from humans. You're much more civilized!>>

Out came the tool kit and security kit. Both of them had come all the way from Tattooine, where they'd already put in years of service, and it was difficult to imagine them being stolen from anything but a trash compactor. Next were two power packs - not as old, but still probably not worth stealing when there were so many shops selling brand new ones. Then, the mesh tape - slightly used, slightly dirty. She'd gotten it on the station before this one, the same place she'd gotten the three ration packs she pulled from her pockets next. They were specific to a Jawa diet; she could probably find - and thus, steal - them on this station, but they'd almost certainly be sold by another non-human vendor, so Litki doubted the stormtrooper would care. The last thing removed was her credit chip, from another pocket. She hoped the trooper wouldn't confiscate it, though if he did, he'd find it was completely empty of everything but the code for Litki's banking account.

<<That's everything, sir,>> Litki said, taking a step back and folding her hands in front of her.

@kckolbe

“Why, the illicit kind, of course!”

Tenda Feek shot Maj a cheeky grin, revealing a mouth full of pointy little teeth, then settled back into his seat. He casually reached forward to scoop up Zorah’s abandoned drink between his long, clawed fingers and took a deep sip, then let out a satisfied sigh before turning his attention back to Maj.

“Don’t worry, nobody is paying attention to us. Very few people in here care who I talk to, and besides: if they were, I would hear them.” The Chadra-Fan tapped his generous earlobes and winked. As he spoke, he swilled the liquid in Zorah’s glass with his other hand. “So we can speak freely… as long as you keep your voice down. I’m told you’re interested in smuggling routes; Imperial patrols, that sort of thing. Our mutual friend has the information you need, and is willing to provide it to you.

“First things first, though. I need to ask — what have you brought as payment? Information like this is not easy to get a hold of. Very risky to be selling.”

Tenda took another long sip from Zorah’s glass, eyeing Maj expectantly over the rim.

OOC: I’ll leave it up to you what you’ve brought, kckolbe; Maj and Zorah will have come prepared, so it doesn’t have to be something already in your inventory!

@Penny

The stormtroopers watched impassively as Litki emptied her pockets one by one, giving no reaction to the droid’s ongoing translations which might have clued the Jawa into what they were thinking. When she declared she was finished, the two slowly looked over her meager belongings. Then the lead trooper, the one she’d crashed into, stepped forward and quite deliberately crushed one of her three ration packs under his boot.

The trooper didn’t say anything about it — just stared down at Litki for a moment, as if daring her to say anything. Then he bent down to pick up her credit chip, which he tucked into one of the pouches on his belt.

“We’ll be scanning this to confirm ownership,” he announced. Not bothering to give Litki a chance to respond, he turned back to his partner. “What do you think?”

“Could still be something under its robe.”

The lead trooper turned back to the Jawa again, hefting his rifle in both hands; not bringing it up to shoot, just reminding everyone present that it was there. “You heard him, Jawa. Strip.” There wasn’t outright malice in his voice — just a chilling indifference to the thing he was commanding.

But before Litki had to decide whether or not to comply with that order, the sound of screams and blaster fire erupted on the Promenade outside! The troopers reacted immediately, turning their attention from Litki as they hurried towards the exit. “Stay here,” one of them called back, gesturing at the Jawa, and then the two stepped out onto the catwalk overlooking the Promenade.

At the back of the store, Litki heard the Twi’lek shopkeeper let out a long-held breath. A moment later he emerged from behind the counter, and knelt down to help gather her belongings.

“You should hurry, Jawa,” he said softly, sounding suddenly exhausted. “Before they come back.”

@Ahlanna @Anla'Shok @Tenshi @Yellow Brick Road

While Ada did what she could for the woman, up close it was clear that her injuries were pretty severe; not only had she clearly been shot, but she’d clearly been in some kind of struggle afterwards which had torn open the wound. It was impressive that she’d managed to stay on her feet as far as she did. Ada’s efforts were enough to stem the bleeding, at least, but the woman was in dire need of proper medical attention.

Which wasn’t likely to come any time soon. As Ada worked, another blaster shot rang out — and the Twi’lek felt its heat as the red blast just barely clipped her shoulder from behind. While the collectibles stall shielded her from the approaching troopers, one of the men she’d noticed earlier was standing across from the cantina, on her uncovered side, and he’d apparently just pulled a small holdout blaster and decided to join the fray. Whether he’d been aiming at her, the woman she was helping, or Monisa was kind of academic. If either of them spared a glance in his direction, they’d see him taking cover in the doorway of one of the nearby stores moments after firing his shot.

20 to hit, 5 damage.

Up on the catwalk, Ami and the two men remained trapped in a standoff — one that they, at least, didn’t yet seem willing to break. From the corner of her eye, however, Ami could see a pair of stormtroopers hurrying out of one of the Promenade’s stores; a droid repair shop, she was pretty sure. They’d be sure to notice her in a moment. This state of affairs couldn’t last much longer.

The man with the blaster trained on Ami is spending two swift actions to aim, and readying an action to fire the moment it doesn’t risk his partner.
The man with the knife at his throat is remaining very still.

OOC: @Tenshi, you're up, then it's a new round with Zorah and Monisa. When we have back-to-back PC turns like this, I'm happy to take posts in any order as people are available.

th98de.png

Litki's hands kneaded each other as the ration pack popped under the stormtrooper's white boot, its contents spurting out on the ground. Normally she would be incensed by this, but she was too afraid to be angry. She did not even breathe as the trooper looked down at her. Her eyes peeked up at him meekly from under her hood, only meeting his gaze because she was scared of what would happen if she looked away. Her hands clenched as he lifted the credit chip - it had nothing on it but her account information, but without it, she couldn't get any more money at all, turning her current situation into a permanent one unless she could find some way around it. She knew there was no way she could get it back from them.

Weakness and vertigo rode through her body at the command to strip. Her mind raced. I can still get out of this, she thought. Her robe was softer and finer than the robes Jawas typically wore on Tatooine - her life on spaceships hadn't required as much protection from the elements, so she'd traded her old clothes in for something more comfortable. Perhaps, if she took it off just right, she could bundle her ion pistol up in it and her tool belt in such a way that it wouldn't be noticeable.

Assuming they didn't search the robe after she removed it, of course. And if she didn't, she would still be naked in the middle of the store. What would they do to her after that?

Eyes still on the trooper, her hands gripped her robes and began to lift, trying to maneuver the pistol underneath. Disturbing her robes released more of the petrichor scent, but there was an undercurrent of another, sweeter smell, like cinnamon. Something in her was excited, despite the fear and humiliation. Or perhaps because of it.

At the sound of screams and gunfire, she froze. Her eyes followed the troopers as the ran out of her field of vision, but after that, she didn't dare move a muscle until she heard them exit the shop altogether onto the catwalk. Even then, it wasn't until the shopkeeper started gathering her things that her hands released, dropping the hem of her robes to her feet again. Her pistol, already loosed by her movements, clattered to the floor at her feet. She tried to pick it up, but her hands shook so badly that she fumbled it onto the floor again. Her next attempt was successful, tucking it back into her place under her robes before she gathered up her remaining belongings with the shopkeeper's help.

She didn't say anything to the shopkeeper. There wasn't anything to say. Once her things were back in her utility belt, however, she looked down at the crushed ration pack. The stormtrooper's boot had smeared it across the floor, and that was a meal she couldn't afford to lose. She hesitated, then knelt down and scooped up what little of it she could in her fingers before sticking them in her mouth. The taste was disgusting, but it might stretch her meager supplies just a few hours longer. She was too ashamed to look at the shopkeeper or droid and averted her eyes, moving to the shop's entrance. She looked both ways outside to ensure the stormtroopers had left, then tried to get a handle on what the hell was going on in the Promenade.

View attachment 20429
Ami Shatterstar

This was not a standoff Ami was comfortable with and now there were storm troopers shooting in the crowd downstairs. She'd be more able to intercede with the war sword or the disk blade tucked away in her duffle bag with her spare clothes. She had a galactic license for all her weapons save for the traditional disk blade. No one had yet bothered to restrict that though--if they knew what it was or so what she was really capable of with it--that would label her as a different kind of outlaw.

Brown eyes wandered the crowd. Noticing an unattended maintenance cart with a heavy wood handled brush, Ami wondered what this guy would do if "someone in the crowd" started pelting him with random objects. She stretched out with the Force and tried to establish the harmony with the brush she would need to control it. all it did was jiggle a little bit.

Frowning, Ami kept the knife at the man's throat, "Is this the Empire you fight for? A place where soldiers fire into crowds of civilians?"

9 on Use the Force

@Silverbird
Maj clinched lightly as his companion boldly and loudly made clear the business. He wasn't as confident about not being overheard, as it was clear there as plenty of shadiness about, but there was little point in playing coy now. He nodded on hearing that the information was at least available. "We have payment," he said. "Look, but don't touch."

He reached down and pulled out his blaster out of his holster. It was a beautiful weapon, heavy blast, modified for accuracy. It had set him back a few thousand credits. "This was made special, but there's a crate of the same base model stashed nearby."

@kckolbe

“Oho!” Tenda’s eyes lit up at the sight of Maj’s blaster, and the Chadra-Fan reached instinctively for the weapon — only to catch himself and snatch his hand back, heeding Maj’s warning. His fingers instead wrapped tightly around his drink, claws tapping at the sides of the glass.

“Yes, we could *certainly* find a use for those! A whole crate, you say?”

The Chadra-Fan sat back, considering; Maj could almost see the gears whirring in his mind. At last, his face broke out into another toothy grin.

“I believe we have a deal, my Cerean friend! Of course, I do not have your information on me… it’s not safe for someone like me to carry something like that down the Promenade, these days. And besides, I will need to verify that this crate of yours actually exists… and that it contains the merchandise you say, and so on. All of that business.” Tenda waved his hand breezily as he spoke. He took another sip from his drink before setting it down and leaning in across the table again, his expression growing more serious. He lowered his voice.

“So here is what we’ll do. You will tell me where to find these weapons, and then you will wait for things outside to die down. Once they do, you will go to deep storage bay V-14, on the lower levels.” The Chadra-Fan slowed his speech for a moment as he named the location, careful to clearly stress each word. “Any of the station’s public terminals should have a map. Tell the guards there that Tenda Feek sent you, and they’ll let you in, no problem. That’s where you’ll receive your information — assuming you’re telling the truth.”

He sat back again, his grin returning.

“But you don’t seem like a liar. I’m sure it’ll be fine.”

@Penny

The stormtroopers hadn’t gone far. As Litki emerged from the store, she could see them — or at least the white backs of their armour — just a ways along the catwalk, headed for the source of the commotion. It didn’t seem like they were going to turn back her way anytime soon, though; while it was hard to make out clearly at this distance, it looked like there was some kind of hostage situation taking place further down the catwalk. A red-haired woman seemed to have some kind of weapon to a man’s throat, and in turn was being threatened by a second man with a blaster?

And, of course, that wasn’t even the main source of trouble. Down below, Litki could see the crowd hurrying to get away from something. She couldn’t see what, exactly — at least without running to the edge and leaning over the side of the catwalk — but she could certainly hear the sounds of blaster fire, and see intermittent flashes of light.

OOC: If Litki decides to head towards the trouble, Penny, or if she's sticking around to see what happens, please roll initiative and we'll include you in this round. If she's heading straight the other way, then we probably won't need one!

Zorah felt weightless, flowing with each motion of the scene around her. She ducked as the trooper collapsed, then angled herself to pounce on the other. Her blade was heavy, lacking the guidance that a kyber crystal offered. She had spent hours practicing with the weapon, though, and it served her purposes just fine in a pinch. The Corellian Jedi swung at the next trooper, closing the distance between the two in a few quick strides. The blade arced up as she traced the length across the soft parts of his armor, driving the point between the plates before thrusting forward. She had gotten lucky with the first trooper, and her blade managed to find a weak spot. This time, she was brutal in her efficiency. Less power, but a better blow overall.

The warrior turned to the others involved in the fight, briefly eyeing them over. They were an odd bunch, and they seemed to be squabbling with one another. They were also firing at the troopers, though, so that made them on the same said. Mostly. Zorah scanned the Promenade for something that she could use to create a distraction. A large box or an unused crane from the endless construction, the station was bound to offer something. If they did nothing, reinforcements would surely arrive shortly and that would be bad for all of them.

Monisa kept her focus on her previous target and squeezed off another shot.
Comment:
Result: 1,
Total: 3
rolled: 3d4
Comment:
Result: 2, 3, 3,
Total: 8

th98de.png
Litki glowered at the stormtroopers' backs. That two-legged womp rat has my credit chip, she thought, burning in anger, but there was nothing she could do about it. She'd have to find some way of getting the money to replace it, or find a job that could pay her in something other in credits. A ship job, if possible - this station was obviously not a good place for her. Of course, she'd been trying to find a job for days already, with no luck.

With all the shooting, the smart thing would have been to slip away. If nothing else, she wouldn't want to still be here when the crisis passed and the stormtroopers came back...if they'd even bother, that is, rather than just terrorizing her for ultimately no reason and going on with their day. But it was her curiosity and thirst for adventure that had led her off of Tatooine and into the galaxy in the first place, not her good judgment.

Carefully, she crept to the edge of the catwalk and leaned her head over the side, trying to peek down on the fracas without being seen. She wasn't planning on involving herself, of course; besides the fact that that would be suicidal, she doesn't even have a dog in this fight. Given what just happened to her, she probably wouldn't cry herself to sleep that night based on what happened to any stormtroopers, but that didn't mean the other side were her friends. Most likely, they were criminals or terrorists that would treat her even worse than the troopers had.

Still, she wanted to see everything she could. Greedy for the drama, she tried to watch the hostage negotiation and firefight below her at the same time.

Initiative roll: 14
Stealth
roll to avoid attention: 12 (apply modifiers as necessary if she must actually run to the edge of the catwalk)
Perception roll to watch both conflicts: 23

From her new vantage point, Litki had a clear view of all the unfolding drama down below; from the sword-wielding woman who’d just cut down a stormtrooper, to the three taking cover behind the collectables stand. As she watched the sword-wielder pounced on her next target, blade sliding between the plates of his armour, but this one seemed to be made of sterner stuff than the last — he let out a grunt of pain as the bloodied weapon withdraw, and staggered backwards out of the woman’s reach, clutching at his side with one hand, but he did not fall. Struggling against his injury, the trooper brought up his rifle to squeeze off a desperate, one-handed shot at his attacker. The blast passed within a hand’s-width of her body, her fluid movements just enough to keep her out of harm’s way.

As she dodged Zorah caught sight of a hoversled outside one of the stores across the Promenade, stacked high with several large shipping crates which were being slowly unloaded one at a time by a bulky labour droid. If toppled across the walkway, they’d be enough to block the Promenade; though, of course, they wouldn’t be enough to block the upper catwalk.

The stormtrooper Withdraws as a move action, then fires on Zorah. 12 vs Reflex.

Further along the catwalk, the man with his blaster trained on Ami shouted angrily back at the young red-haired woman. “Y-you don’t know what you’re talking about! We have to maintain order! None of this would be happening if it weren’t for criminals like you!” His voice wavered for a moment, but seemed to grow more certain as he spoke; almost as though he was convincing himself with his words.

His companion seemed less impressed. “Skig, shut up!” He snapped, eyes still nervously on Ami’s blade. “Don’t antagonize her!”

The pounding of plastoid boots on steel a moment later announced the arrival of the two stormtroopers from the Twi’lek’s store. One brought his rifle up immediately, and gestured for the other to deal with the fight down below.

“Drop the weapon!” He shouted at Ami. His voice contained none of the hesitation of the other two men. His finger hovered directly over his rifle’s trigger. “You have three seconds! … Two! …”

His squadmate, hurrying to the catwalk’s rail, showed equally little hesitation. He took only a moment to take in the scene below, already staring down rifle-sights, and then he opened fire.

Mechanics: One Stormtrooper readies an action to fire on Ami if she doesn’t surrender on her turn.
The other moves to the side of the catwalk and shoots down at Zorah. 15 vs Reflex. 17 damage.

OOC: Updated initiative order:

Zorah - 23
Monisa - 22
Stormtroopers (x3) - 19
Ada - 16
Litki - 14
Imperial Informants (x3) - 11
Ami - 3

I think sneaking into position covers Litki for this round, so it's @Ahlanna followed by more Imperials.

Motherfucker!

Whirling, Ada glares at the bastard who nearly shot her lekku. Fortunately, at that moment, her tchun had been in front and not in back, and the blast to her shoulder was merely painful, instead of landing in agony on the extra-sensitive flesh.

Sure, she knew from the trooper's non-answer earlier these guys were with station security. But they weren't uniformed that way. Which was, what they liked to call in the service, 'plausible deniability'. Has there ever been a uniformed military that didn't disdain those without the courage to badge up and display their loyalty on their sleeve?

Draw Heavy Blaster Pistol.

There were a couple of things Ada'koyi finds particularly unamusing. One of them is getting propositioned for 'dance services'. A close runner-up is getting shot for no good reason. If you were in battle or something, hey that's par for the course. Man up and be a professional, respect the other guy has orders too. And of course, hold onto your ass and get in some damn cover. But when you're just standing around?

Get some freaking trigger discipline, asshole!

Finger and lekku twitch in concert, the tendrils crossing each other in an X over her chest, and the finger dancing over the switch on the pistol's casing.

Change Weapon Mode: Activate Stun Setting

Hand rising, she glares in the direction of the 'Informant' and his little peashooter. Ada, of course, preferred her trusty DL-57 "Annihilator". Superior stopping power, anti-recoil counterweight and iridian focusing lens. And naturally, quadranium precision barrel, something that the twi'lek points in the direction of the covert little shit.

Oh, and of course, BlasTech Marketing wouldn't want you to forget the industry-leading NoSlip™ trigger housing. Ada'koyi makes the marketers proud.

Energy rips forth from the barrel as the weapon teases back against her palm, putting the anti-recoil counterweight to good use.

Ada-Danger.png

Attack Imperial Informant with Heavy Blaster Pistol (stun setting enabled)
Attack Roll: 1d20 (11) + 4 = 15
Damage Roll (if applicable): 3d8 (1, 2, 8) = 11

Ada's shot was off by only a hair, the blue ring of the stun blast dissipating harmlessly as it struck the steel doorway in which her target was sheltering. However, what the blast lacked in physical harm it made up for in damage to the man's morale. While he did still eventually return fire, he did so hesitantly. He seemed unwilling to risk actually peeking out and aiming at his target, firing back blindly with only his arm and weapon exposed. Unlike his earlier shot, this blast came nowhere near its target.

The informant fires back, but rolls a natural 1.

The men up on the catwalk held their positions tensely as the trooper neared the end of his threatening countdown. The one with Ami's knife to neck felt his breath catch in his throat. The other's finger trembled on the trigger of his blaster as he glanced nervously to the trooper for direction.

"...One..."

OOC: The man with the blaster is modifying his readied action to shoot when the stormtrooper does. Otherwise, nothing different there.
@Tenshi, @Yellow Brick Road and @Anla'Shok are all up!

Monisa attempted to line up another shot at the same target as last time and pulled the trigger.

Attack:
Comment:
Result: 1,
Total: 3

Damage:
rolled: 3d4, adding 2 to the total
Comment:
Result: 4, 4, 2,
Total: 12

Back
Top Bottom