Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Araya Lucaris (Elora Krisara x AndrewS)

The noise continued to get louder, as loud as a gentle chiming could be, the further into the Forest they went. Thick trees and plant life gave way, eventually, to a large clearing, bringing them to the source of the noise. Green and blue mixed beautifully, the pleasant aroma only adding to the beauty of the place they had stumbled upon. He wondered how many others had been here before, or how many returned to tell the tale.

His eyes wandered towards Kelaria, taking in the look on her face as she looked around in awe, seeing firsthand something she had read about in books come to life and sprawl before her like some scene from a fairy tale. It was sort of endearing to see her so excited with something as simple as some special trees. It reminded him that she wasn't just some survivor, and she wasn't yet the heir of a doomed kingdom, she was still trying to find her way in a world that was turned upside down, so even simple things like this could leave her speechless. How many more people like her, from Astellia, had he and his brother destroyed?

"It's definitely beautiful here." He responded, gaze lingering before returning to the trees. "I've been meaning to ask you something, Kelaria." There was pause, for but a moment, before Vander proposed the question he spoke of. They seemed safe, at least for now, after all. "When you use your magic, what does it feel like? I know that may seem a stupid question, but your power is so different than mine...I try not to use mine at all because I know the toll that it takes on me. Every time I use dark magic, it feels like a piece of my soul is being pulled out of my body and used as the ammunition. I can see why people who lose themselves to it become the way that they do...Finley, my brother. If I hadn't stopped when I did, I fear that I may have wound up the same way."

Vander's question caught her off guard. Kelaria hadn't really considered that it his use of magic may have felt very different from when she used her own. "I can't speak for everyone of course, what I said as Ani back in that village was true. I was born already with a natural talent for magic. My mother said I was born with magic glowing in my eyes. My father believes that all the time my mother, a very skilled sorceress, spent communing with the Araya Lucaris while she was pregnant with me altered my own abilities. My mother believed that I would have been born that way anyway. She believed I had been chosen by the Arya Lucaris for a fate none of us could understand yet." she glanced at him, gauging his reaction. "Long story short, even before I communed with the Arya Lucaris for the first time, I already had a great deal of raw talent."

Kelaria's eyes shifted across their surroundings as she spoke. "When I use my magic it feels like the world around me; The Earth, the wind, the plants, the sun, stars, and light, all of it are surging energy into me. Sometimes it's unbearable, like too much water being released from a dam through an opening far too small. Even when it hurts, it's wonderful. I feel connected to everything around me. " She looked at him once more. "In some ways though I suppose it's similar to your own experience. When I use my magic, I have to give a part of myself over to it. Willingly of course. Nothing ever feels like it is being torn away from me. Like when I healed you. It felt like giving a piece of myself over to you, to let that piece of me take the pain and hurt away from you and allow your body to heal at an accelerated rate. When I manipulated the earth today in order to fight that man, Finley, I had to give pieces of myself to the earth to make it happen. Today I gave too much of myself. I could probably give more but I don't know where that would leave me. It takes some time to gain all that back. I suppose since I give it willingly it always comes back to me. Something like that anyway."

Aside from the soft chiming of the trees, the clearing went silent as Kelaria gave Vander the chance to absorb what she said.

Last edited:
Kelaria's experience with magic seemed similar, yet very different, from what he was used to. He supposed that the divide between dark magic and regular magic made that obvious, but it was still interesting to hear her side, to hear how somebody else experienced it. For Kelaria, her magic seemed to be a gift shared with the very will of the planet itself. For him, a curse, stolen from it. It only made him wonder further where the Araya Lucaris stood in all of this. Why did it make the distinction to allow different types of magic, knowing the corruption it could cause? Clearly, the artifact had some sort of sentience, but at what level, Vander didn't know. He had never seen it. He had only heard of it from others who had, as far as he was concerned, he barely knew what the thing looked like, never mind how it behaved.

She was a born prodigy, clearly. The continued effect of being within the Araya Lucaris' communion must have made her mother some sort of carrier of a great magic, or at least, something that felt unlike anything he had seen. Vander had witnessed both sides of the arcane in action, and while the magic wielded by demons and his brother brought pure destruction, it felt like Kelaria's magic could do the opposite should she will it. Perhaps their world could yet heal after all.

"We should wait it out until you feel like all you've given has returned. If we run into Finley, or another one of my brother's demons, I don't think we'd be able to defeat them if you've exhausted all of your strength." And letting his power take hold of him as it had before, in the presence of another demon, felt like a corruption he wouldn't be able to return from.

"What's the Araya Lucaris like?"
He asked his next question, short, and to the point, not really expecting her to give him a straight answer. "Part of me wonders if perhaps if I could commune with it...I could get rid of this darkness, maybe turn it into something more like what you use. Then, I wouldn't need to fear what I might become if I use that strength..." He could help her piece together what was left of both of their kingdoms.

Kelaria's response to his question came out short and harsh her voice like ice once more, betraying her mistrust. "I thought this wasn't about you finding the Araya Lucaris. Are you using me after all then?" she glared at him. If looks could kill he would be a very dead man.

It took Kelaria a moment to calm down, realizing he meant no harm in his question, at least hoping that was the truth. It was natural to be curious as so many were. She was slow to answer as she looked away from him. With a sigh she finally spoke, "As a rule, established by nature, the universe, or the Araya Lucaris itself, men aren't granted magic naturally. That's why the power hungry men in the world turn to demon magic. I however, believe rules are meant to be broken at some point. Even rules no man or woman has any control over. Even the rules of the Araya Lucaris. I believe there has to be at least one exception out there. I believe there has to be men, or at least one man, who was granted these gifts naturally as I was. If he did exist, how could he know? With the Araya Lucaris hidden away and restricted as it is. He would have no choice but to ignore his talent and maybe they would die out over time, or turn to dark magic and make a contract with a demon until he became one himself."

Kelaria walked towards the stream but didn't look to him. "So yes, maybe you could cast away the demon magic by communing with the Araya Lucaris. Maybe it is possible. There's only one way to know for sure." She knelt down and ran her hand through the cool water.

"I'm not using you." He reassured her, shaking his head. "But it seems like it might be a good idea. Together, we may yet be able to save these kingdoms, but I can't do it if I'm fighting with one hand tied behind my back." Not being able to use his greatest asset, his powerful magic, for fear of what he would become if he lost control, was hampering his ability to be useful in any way. He was a match for his brother in a straight up sword fight, but there would be no situation where Balthier would ever humor him in that way. If they were to come to blows using their magic and Vander was holding back, he wouldn't stand a chance.

"There's only one way to know for sure."

"...does that mean you'll take me with you? To find it?" Perhaps he had misinterpreted what she meant, or his question was too bold to ask at this point, but he had already put it out there and he wasn't going to back down from it now. "I am not your enemy, Kelaria. Not anymore. I assure you, I intend to use it's gifts to stop my brother and nothing more...if it concerns you that much, when we're done, you can strike me down yourself as recompence for all that my family and I have taken from you. I won't stop you, I won't even fight you. It's more than fair compensation for what I have done...but I can't die yet. Not until Balthier's claim to our thrones has been revoked. Afterwards, I care not what happens to me."

Perhaps that was a good thing. If anyone was fit to rule either kingdom in the absence of their parents, it certainly wasn't him. She would be a better leader than he would be. She would have the ability to sway the public, to reform fractured peace.

Kelaria sat down at the edge of the water and brought her knees up to her chest, hugging them, as she stared into the steadily flowing stream. "I won't kill you, not unless you give me a reason to. I don't trust you. Don't mistake any kindness for trust. I do not trust you. But I can't hate you either. Not anymore. I want to but I just don't have room in my heart for any more hate. It's an exhausting weight to carry on top of everything else. I still blame you and mistrust you but I plan to save my hate for your brother and his demon friends."

"Killing you wouldn't bring my family any peace and it certainly won't bring them back."
She glanced at him and gave a wry smile. It was a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes and could hardly count as a smile but it was something. It was as good as he was going to get. In some ways she felt like she had forgotten how to smile. Its funny how much can change in just three days, almost four. It already felt like a lifetime had passed since she last smiled. "So just try not to give me a reason to kill you between now and then and I'll take you with me. Deal?"

"We seem to be deep enough into the woods to allow us to light a small fire."
She turned to the bag on her hip and dug through it. "I have some dry rations we can eat tonight but tomorrow we should really consider hunting. Maybe we can collect a few furs that we can sell when we reach the next town."

Last edited:
"Killing you wouldn't bring my family any peace and it certainly won't bring them back."

Vander wasn't sure that killing his brother would bring him any peace either. But he felt responsible for all of this. He had to try. He was glad that she didn't hate him, at least yet, and had no intentions of killing him, but his thought process remained the same; after this was over, if she wanted him gone, there would be no argument on his end, nor any resistance.

She seemed to be attempting to smile. It was half-hearted, but it was the first time he had seen her show any emotion like that. She was always so serious, back at camp, then so mad and struck with grief. Between this, and seeing the way she was so taken by the whistling trees of the forest, he was starting to view a different side of Kelaria, a glimpse of who she may have been before tragedy took it's heavy toll on her heart.

"I accept your deal." He nodded his head, bringing himself closer to her, to the edge of the water. He didn't sit to join her, he just remained standing, though at her side, the stream reflecting his likeness back at him as he peered into it's running current. It seemed to facilitate a memory inside of his head, as if forcing self-reflection.

~~~

Vander remembered the panic in the castle. He remembered the red that had stained the carpets of the throne room, turning pristine white into a grizzly crimson. He had been the one to find their father, his throat slit and a blade buried in his sternum, his blood running like the very river he had just been staring into. He fell into shock, but was wrestled from it by the chaos that ensued as others became aware of what had happened. It was like a whirlwind, a tense, flurry of memories rushing through his head.

He had come to speak to the king about something mundane and left with his world view flipped on it's head.

The investigation, spearheaded by his brother, revealed an Astellian invader within their midst who had been posing as a member of the wait staff for several weeks in anticipation of the assassination attempt. Something about it didn't feel right to Vander, but he never really had any proof. It had soured relations and gave Balthier reason to want war. And it made Vander want it too.

"What has happened today is a tragedy, the greatest to have befallen our kingdom. Never before have we lost a leader in this fashion. Never before have such unthinkable acts of violence been committed within the hallowed halls of this castle." Balthier spoke, giving a speech to all in attendance, stirring the pot on their war effort. Vander remembered standing at his brother's side, looking out into a sea of people, some angry, some tearful, all coming together under a hatred for their neighboring nation.

"They will pay for what they have done. Make no mistake, this was a declaration of war, and we intend to return the favor."

Vander hadn't known then that this had all been orchestrated by his brother under the guidance of that wicked demon, lighting the flames of war. If only he had looked a little harder, if only he hadn't been fooled by the lie. He was too emotional following the death of his father, he threw himself into the war effort, into the dark magic that would give him strength to avenge, while his brother took up acting role as temporary ruler of Arellia until revenge could be taken upon those who had robbed their kingdom of it's fearless, beloved leader.

And with that lie shattered the peace, setting in motion an unstoppable war machine.

~~~

Vander looked down, adjusting his sight away from the water and onto Kelaria instead as she rummaged through her bag. In that moment, he didn't feel anger for what he had recalled, but rather, he felt like the this supposed enchanted forest was trying to mess with him. He hadn't forgotten the circumstance that led to the start of the war, but he tried not to think about it given the guilt it invoked inside of him. He just felt heavy, now, like the weight of his past was finally beginning to slow him down.

"Huh? Yeah, sure. That sounds like a good idea." He told her, half-listening, tuning back in to what she was saying midway through her sentence. "My apologies..."

"We should get started building a fire, before it gets too dark. I'm sure we can gather plenty of kindling and wood around here and have it done quickly" Even as she spoke Kelaria made no moves to get up and set off on the task, instead she felt some strange pull to stay near the water, her eyes straying back to where she had been staring before. The steady flow of the water seemed to draw her attention in, it was almost mesmerizing to look at.

Kelaria twitched impatiently as her mother brushed through her raven hair, which hung low down her back. She hated this. Her coming of age party. She was an adult now, officially old enough to marry and old enough to rule her kingdom without a regent should anything happen to her parents. Kelaria would rather be doing anything else. Kelaria had tried to convince her father to let her take a tour of the kingdom to celebrate her coming of age. She wanted to see all the parts of her kingdom she hadn't had the chance to see. She was tired of being locked away studying and training every single waking moment. She had seen most of her kingdom alongside her father as she grew up but she wanted the chance to see it for herself. She wanted to see the parts her father would never show her.

Of course her father said no. The party arrangements had already been made.

"My Light, I need you to hold still or you will end up with crooked braids." Queen Arissa scolded her daughter lightly.

"I'm trying." Kelaria had always been a woman of action. Sitting still had rarely suited her. "I don't see why this party is necessary. It seems a waste of time and resources." Kelaria sighed.

"It's important because your father and I won't live forever. The rest of the world, inside and outside of this kingdom, needs to know you. Someday, you will be Queen. Think of this party as your introduction to the world. The world needs to know you will be a strong and capable queen."

"How will wearing a pretty dress and dancing with nobility show the world I will be a strong and capable queen?" Kelaria gave her mother a skeptical look in the mirror.

Queen Arissa gave her daughter a playful pinch on the arm. "maybe the dancing won't but your confidence will."

"what confidence?" Kelaria muttered.

Arissa finished with her hair. "Fake it until it's true my light." she teased then kissed her daughter's cheek.

"When this is all said and done, we'll travel to to The Deep Woods of Nither? You promised me we would go. It will be valuable for my training after all"

Arissa laughed. "Yes my light. We will travel to Nither. I'll teach you it's secrets" She promised , squeezing her daughters shoulders comfortingly before standing. "Come now"

As the memory faded away Kelaria felt her grief grip her heart once more. This time it threatened to drag her down. The weight she felt before nearly double. Her eyes burned with unshed tears. Kelaria tore her eyes away from the water and tried to will herself to stand. She fought the urge to remain here and resign herself to defeat. If she couldn't save her family how was she suppose to save two whole kingdoms?

Start a fire. Right. He could do that.

He pulled himself away from the river, shaking his head. This was an enchanted forest, of course it was messing with him. He should have expected nothing else. His eyes surveyed the clearing for a suitable spot while also trying to decide which trees nearby would make for good fire wood, eventually drifting back to Kelaria as she too pulled herself from the water. Had she just seen something too?

Vander gave up on the idea of being a fire starter for the moment and took a couple of pensive steps back into her direction. She was trying to stand but clearly bothered by what the water had shown her, so he politely offered her his hand, not expecting her to actually take it but letting it linger in place, just in case.

"It showed you something too...didn't it?" He asked her, letting her know that he too had been affected. "I saw a memory...of the day my father died, when all of this madness started. What did it show you...?"

Kelaira's shoulders were slumped with the weight the memory seemed to pile onto her. The grief was nearly unbearable. A tear managed to slip passed her defenses. She pulled her eyes away quickly, looking towards his outstretched hand. Surprisingly she actually took it and let him help her up. Her other hand wiped away the tear as she focused on composing herself. She was a bit surpised to hear that Vander had experienced his own memory with the water.

"My mother. It showed me my mother. A few months before....before all this. The day of my coming of age ball. The day she promised to take me here." She shook her head. "All I could do was complain. It was one of my last private moments with my mother and I spent it complaining about that damn party." Her voice was thick with her grief. "It seems to be taunting us. "

Vander gripped her hand and offered her his physical strength, helping her to her feet and keeping her steady as she recovered from the memory she had been shown. "Easy. Take your time..." He didn't let go of her hand, though he didn't really realize how intimate that might have seemed, he was just trying to make sure she wouldn't fall over until she was composed enough to stand again on her own volition.

Kelaria recounted what she had seen, an obvious grief in the tone of her voice as she reminisced on her mother and treated her behavior like it was a mistake that she now regretted. "It appears so." He told her, agreeing with her hypothesis. "Suddenly, I'm not so sure stopping to make camp is such a great idea."

He wondered if he could maybe get them some place else, teleport them anywhere but here...but he wasn't sure if he had recovered enough from the last time, and she was tired too. What if she didn't have the strength to stop him if the dark magic took hold of him again like before? He couldn't risk it, they needed to find their way out the old fashioned way. He had been taught the basics of surviving in the wild during his initial training, but he wasn't much of a navigator, that was always more of his brother's thing. It was why Balthier seemed to know the geography of Astellia so well before they attacked, noting where settlements were, which roads could be used as choke points to cut off supply runs and reinforcements. It was tactical, surgical almost, while Vander was basically treated as a hammer to a nail, going where he was told to go and doing what he was told to do.

Oh, how he regretted that now, having fallen into the same trap that many other travelers caught in this forest probably fell into.

But they weren't just regular travelers by any means, and he thought back to what he told her before. Maybe they could use this place's magic against it.

"You said when you use your magic, it's like you're giving a part of yourself to the world, right?" He asked, suddenly, an idea coming to his head. As long as she had recovered enough to be able to safely use her power... "What if you gave a part of yourself to the forest? What if you connected with it?" Maybe it was a long shot, or maybe he was crazy, but maybe crazy was all they had, at this point. "Take hold of it. This whole place is full of magic, but so are you. Harness it, become it. It can't hurt you if you're in control."

Kelaria didn't release his hand right away either. It felt for a moment like it was the only thing grounding her and keeping her from falling apart. It wasn't until he spoke again that she released his hand, dropping it like it burned her skin but she still felt herself missing the comforting touch as soon as it was gone. "We have no choice but to make camp here for the night. There's no chance that we can make it out of here before night fall. Even if we were near the edge of the forest, which judging by the angle of the sun and the light passing into the forest, we aren't, it would still take too long to get out and if we found ourselves out in the open just outside the forest for the night we would be too exposed while we're both still weak. I'm not strong enough right now to defend us and I'd rather avoid you tapping into your magic unless absolutely necessary."

Vander's idea made Kelaria turn to him, looking at him as though he was crazy. "I don't think that's how it works Vander. Even if it was, I don't know that I would know how or what to do. " Almost defiantly, she looked away from him and glanced towards the water. This time she wasn't close enough to be sucked back into it's memory trance but she did feel it pulling her close.

Kelaira sighed after a long silence. "Maybe...You might be right. It really isn't a bad idea but I do not know how. " Kelaria's mouth twitched in the corner, as though she almost wanted to smile. "It's a funny thing...the stream reminded me that my mother promised, that day, that she would show me the secrets of this place. I wonder if this is what she had in mind."

Kelaria turned to face him fully. "Well, this was your big idea. What do you suggest I do?"

Last edited:
Her hand recoiled away, rather quickly, and then she began to tell him how awful his idea was. That lasted for only a short while, however, as the idea began to sprout in her head, growing like one of the many, beautiful trees in the forest surrounding them. She didn't really know how to do what he had suggested, but it was his idea, and it was up to him to guide her.

"I...well...I'm not really sure how I would do it myself, but it seems like something you would be capable of doing based on how you described your power before." He told her, shrugging his shoulders. "It showed you your mother, the forest has already connected with you in some way. Let's start by...closing your eyes."

He waited for her to listen, keeping his hands up as if to show he was no threat. "Don't worry. Just listen, okay?"

"Close your eyes and now...think of that memory, of your mother. Think of how it got back into your head. It was placed there by this forest, right? Focus on that connection. Think of it like..."
He paused, looking around. "Like you're a tree rooted into the soil...follow those roots in to the ground, give a part of yourself back to the earth beneath you but don't let it control you. You're stronger than this forest, you're stronger than me..."

He kept an eye on her, carefully, trying to feel any change in the magic surrounding them.

"Now, will this place to give up it's secrets. Tell it what you want and make it do as it's told." There was a hint of darkness in the way he spoke that, as though that was how he struggled with his own magic. When it ripped a piece of him out, he had to wrestle to control it, to make it listen to him. "You are Kelaria Etherborn, princess of Astellia, heir to your father's throne, and this forest is but a small piece of your kingdom, a part of the world you've been born to control. So, control it."

Kelaria eyed him wearily when he suggested she close her eyes, it was obvious she was hesitant to trust him enough for that but decided he needed her around for now and wasn't likely to try anything yet. Slowly she let her eyes slide shut as she tried to focus on his words.

After slowly taking in a deep breath, Kelaira did as he said, brining the memory back to the forefront of her mind. Kelaira was so drained that there was a very long moment where nothing happened at all and for the moment Kelaira was afraid that she didn't have enough left in her ti make it happen. She had to fight to cast aside the doubt and listen to Vander's instructions.

Eventually a glowing purple mist began to rise from the space around her until it snaked along her arms. The mist steadily transformed until it turned into the light Vander had seen Kelaira weird before. As the magic gathered around her the wind picked up, blowing just on her. Not as hard as it had when she fought Finley but enough to make it obvious that the world around her was reacting to her. If her eyes were open they would no doubt be glowing intensely. The glowing light gathered in her head and in her chest.

Kelaira let out a breath and forced the magic down, it shot down her body and out through her feet, sinking into the ground. Almost exactly like Vander described, glowing tendrils of purple light appeared to snake across the ground like roots. Kelaira let out a gasp as she felt the forest. For a moment she could feel it all. Every living thing. She could feel every tree, every animal, and even the water and stones. In the moment she had an entire map of the forest in her mind.

The forest fought against her at first but Kelaira fought right back, willing it to submit to her, willing it into harmony. The chiming of the trees around her quieted in an instant.

Kelaira let out a pained gasp, her eyes flew open. Sure enough they were lit up and stunning. The magic quickly shot back into her body and Kelaira collapsed. The chiming of the trees returned.

Last edited:
With her magic taking hold of the forest, the enchanted trees and plant life of the Nither fought against her control but lost it's bid for dominion. Vander watched, first in concern, but then in awe, as she mastered control, doing as he had instructed her to, engaging in a tug of war against the very essence of the woodland itself until it stopped fighting her and let her take hold. When she collapsed, he was at her side, hoisting her back up, keeping her from fully falling into the dirt. "You did it..." He told her, a little surprised, but only slightly. He knew she was capable, but he expected it to take her at least a couple of tries. As always, she proved to be every bit the prodigy they said she was.

"Tell me, what did you see? What did it tell you?"

The glowing light in Kelaira's eyes dimmed slowly as Vander held her up. Kelaria didn't move from his hold immediately and allowed him to keep her supported. "I did.." she gave a very small very slight smile. "I didn't think I could... it almost felt like part of the forest wanted me to succeed, even as it fought against me. It was strange." Kelaria's gaze finally turned to his own, noticing their proximity and his arms around her to keep her from falling. Her cheeks heated up, blushing at the need to be held upright and by him no less. Slowly she stood so she was more or less supporting her own weight. She stepped out of his arms but held onto one of them as she was still afraid her legs might give out again. She looked exhausted.

"I saw everything...or rather I felt everything. It was like I could see a whole map of the forest in my head but by feeling only. Like if you ran your hands along someone's face with your eyes closed. You wouldn't know what their face looked like exactly but you could feel the shape of it and picture an outline of it. It was like that. I know that we are close to the center of the forest but on the southern most edge of what could be considered the center. Which is helpful, we need to go south. There are currently no threats near us now, so we should be safe for the night." She looked around her.

"I think, if I had the energy to do it, I could likely create some sort of guardian circle now. Just an outline of our camp that would alert me if anyone entered it. I don't think I can right now though. That took too much out of me." Kelaria really did look like she would collapse again at any moment.

Easing her up, inch by inch, he kept his place at her side for support until he could feel her take the burden off of his shoulders and back onto her feet, standing on her own again. She mostly let go, but stayed close enough that he was within arm's reach should her legs falter again, so he remained steady, a rock for her to lean upon should it be required. The trees whistled and clattered around them, chiming pleasantly, their noise somehow feeling more comforting now than it had been concerning or foreboding like before she had interacted with the forest.

"You've done enough. Now, you rest, until you feel able to travel again. If you say we must head south, then we will head south, but only once you are ready."

There was a surprising calm in his voice, like he was showing a hint of reserved concern. He had every reason to wish to rush them out of this forest and towards the Araya Lucaris, but yet, he seemed to let it fall onto a backburner in favor of tending to her own health. It was ironic, to Vander, that he was now the one watching over her when, just half a day ago, it was the other way around with him sprawled across a cot in her village.

"I will stand watch while you sleep." It wasn't exactly a guardian circle, as she called it, but it was better than nothing, and he really didn't want to see her exhaust herself completely. He didn't much want to carry her out of the entire forest, and she would be dead weight in a fight. That was what he told himself, anyways, because that was easier than admitting he was legitimately worried.

~~~

"And you allowed her to escape?" Balthier's voice flared with anger and rage as he looked upon Finley, still within his demonic form, basking in the power and strength he had awakened. Within the throne room of the castle Kelaria once called home, the Arellian invaders had already begun to make a mockery of the things that the Astellians held dear, defacing statues and paintings that were of great significance and value to their people as if they were worthless. It was a pathetic show of power, at best, but that didn't stop any of them from having their fun with whatever was left behind by the royal family.

"Your exile of a brother is to blame for that, my Lord. He has turned against you."

"Yes, it would appear so. Perhaps it was a mistake to allow him to live."

Regis remained a fair distance away. He knew that he was the reason why Vander was allowed to live. He also knew how ruthless and heartless Balthier had become and that he would be very much in the line of fire if the usurper decided to take out his frustration over what had happened on somebody more responsible for the result.

"But even with him at her side, there is nowhere for her to run that we cannot reach, no place for her to hide that we cannot see."

Balthier stood from his throne, looking over his shoulder. "Alzahar." He called, watching as his demon advisor appeared as if from nowhere, conjuring as a cloud of black smoke that molded into his form. "It appears our dearest, Little Light has made allies with our traitor. Try as he may to renounce what exists inside of him, my brother still bears the curse of the magic you have given him. We may not be able to track Kelaria, but we can find him."

"Consider it done." Alzahar grinned, wickedly, already preparing to cast the spell he needed.

"Good. At least I can count on one of you." He replied, sending a sly look towards Finley. "But I will give you one last shot at redemption. Gather your best men and prepare to move as soon as Alzahar finishes his location spell. If you find my brother, you will find the princess. If you find the princess, the Araya Lucaris is ours. Do not fail me again."

"Y-yes, my lord. Right away." He responded, immediately, turning on his heel to exit.

Balthier took a look back at Alzahar, who's eyes had darkened as he channeled dark magic, and then across the room towards Regis. He began to walk, stepping down from the podium the throne was upon, and into the direction of a man he once held in such high regard.

"Regis, take a walk with me. We have much to discuss about your overabundance of compassion for our enemies..."

Kelaria simply didn't have the energy to argue with him. She really did need to rest or she would be absolutely useless to either of them, as it was she could hardly stand on her own. "You should rest too. You aren't going to finish healing properly if you don't." She was fairly confident that no one from outside the forest would be able to reach them so far into the center of it. It was a miracle or a stroke of bad luck that allowed them to teleport into the forest to being with. The forest defends itself well and it now considers Kelaria a part of it.

Still, Kelaria didn't push it too much. If he wanted to stay up and guard her she wouldn't stop him. A very small part of her liked knowing that there would be someone looking out for her. That very small part of her liked that for at least that moment, there was someone who wanted to take care of her in some tiny way, even if that someone was someone she didn't trust. She was surprised to find that she trusted him enough to watch over her while she slept. Even if he meant to deceive her, he needed her alive to find the Arya Lucaris.

"I may need help...sitting down. If I let go of you I might just collapse again" her cheeks flushed, embarrassed at needing to be taken care of. "I still think a fire would be a good idea, a small one. I can't afford the magic to keep us warm otherwise and I get the feeling it will grow rather cold tonight."

Vander began to lower himself down, easing her inch by inch until she could safely depart from his side and sit herself down against the soft soil of the forest. Now that she had willed it beneath her control, the entire place was like a blanket around them, insulating them from the dangers of the world beyond their limits. He likely didn't need to be so vigilant with his desire to stand watch, but he wasn't in the business of underestimating anything his brother or the other demons could throw at them, even within the Nither.

"I can make us a fire the old fashioned way." He told her as he removed his arm from around her and stood back up. "Just make sure this forest doesn't try to kill me if I take a branch or two." He laughed, cracking a joke.

He made a joke?

Clearly, things were beginning to feel a little more normal, a little bit of the tension between them alleviated.

Vander Albright went about his business, wandering around the clearing and returning to her after a couple of minutes, having collected enough branch and leaves suitable to burn that he could use it to start a fire. Next, he went about unearthing stones from the dirt large enough to align in a ring, creating the pit for their fire to call home. Finally, all that was needed was a simple spark to ignite a flame, something he was appearing to have difficulty doing. He thought it'd be easy enough, but these branches and leaves were not exactly the usual forest kindling he was used to, they didn't seem to want to burn the way they should. He sighed, glancing over at her, before extending his finger outwards and conjuring enough magic to turn dark energy into flame.

The fire ignited the pit, bringing it ablaze, but it also seemed to trigger the forest itself, like it had noticed an intruder inside of it, using dark magic. The trees began to chime faster, it felt like the forest itself was coming down around him until it suddenly stopped, perhaps unwilling to do anything to him since he was so close to Kelaria.

Well, at least they had made a fire.

"Not my brightest idea." Vander admitted, wiping his brow as he sat himself down at Kelaria's side, relieved that he hadn't just doomed them both.

Vander's joke didn't seem to register to her, or she simply didn't think he was being funny. It was difficult to tell which was true. It could have just been that she truly had forgotten how to laugh. Kelaria watched him closely as he gathered the wood and began building a fire. Her right eyebrow quirked up as she watched him struggle to get the fire lit. Her gaze turned dark as she watched him use his magic to spark the fire. The forest's reaction seemed to match her own but it still made her jump a bit. It was dangerous for him to be using his dark magic, especially for something that could be accomplished without it. Teleporting them away in an emergency was one thing, that was necessary to save their lives. Using it for something so mundane was needless and careless. They needed to learn to make due without it.

When Vander returned to her side she was ready to lecture him about it but his words and the expression on her face wiped the anger from her face and actually somehow was far more humorous than his previous joke. Kelaira broke out into a smile and laughed . It was short and a bit reserved but it was real laughter. "Definetly not your brightest idea, but not your worst either obviously. Perhaps you should steer clear of using your magic as much as possible. At least until we find the Araya Lucaris. Until we know if there's a way to...cleanse it..." Her smile faded slowly and naturally.

Kelaria let herself lay back against the ground, peering up at the bits of sky that poked out from between the trees.

Vander mostly expected her to become angry with him for the mistake he had just made, but instead, she actually laughed at him. He wasn't intending to be funny, especially after his previous attempt at humor had fallen flat, but it was still pleasant to hear that response and to know that she could still actually laugh and find humor. "Yes, I think that may be a good idea." He resigned, accepting what she had told him with a nod of his head.

She laid back but he remained seated, feeling the gentle warmth of the fire pit washing over him, curing him of the chill from the forest air. She definitely seemed more relaxed around him, like she didn't think she needed to have her guard up constantly. That would bode well for their partnership, as tumultuous, and perhaps short lived, as it may be. They both needed the rest, but he had volunteered to keep watch and that was what he would do. Between his watchful eye, and the connection she had established with the Nither, he was certain they'd be able to make it through at least one night without needing to fear for their lives, but they could never be too certain.

When they had both recovered, they would begin their journey towards the Araya Lucaris. As he had no idea where that was, he didn't know if the journey would be arduous, or simple, but it didn't really matter how long it took them to make it there; it just mattered that they make it.

Meanwhile, troops from his brother's army had already begun mobilizing across Astellia, following the results of the dark spell Alzahar had cast to track Vander's location. By morning light, they would be here, and the forest would be alive with activity and warning, but they did not yet know the fate that was following them.

for the first time since this nightmare begun in her waking world, Kelaria slept peacefully with no haunting dreams or visions. Perhaps the forest was shielding her from them, allowing her one peaceful night's sleep, or maybe she was just so tired that her brain couldn't taunt her as it had the last several nights. A full nights rest was exactly what Kelaria needed, by the time morning light began to shine through the trees, she was stirring awake.

As Kelaria opened her eyes she found that she was nearly recovered which seemed odd, normally it took her days to recover from draining herself like that and never had she done it to that extent. She could only assume that in some ways Vander was right, she could tap into the magic of Nither and use it for herself. Kelaria looked around as she slowly sat up, wincing a bit at her stiff and sore muscles. It was odd to her now, waking up without an urgent sense of doom looming over her. She knew it was out there but she didn't feel it right now and for that she was grateful.

Kelaira turned to wear Vander sat, frowning a bit. She really wished he had slept. "Are you going to be able to travel today? you must be exhausted. How are your ribs. I'm well enough to heal you again if you need it."

Vander had found himself nearly dozing off a couple of times, drifting in and out of being on the edge of sleep and just barely awake enough to prevent him from falling into a dream. The atmosphere of the Nither felt uncomfortable to him, perhaps the exact opposite of what it did for Kelaria now, given how well she seemed to sleep. Having used dark magic, it was like he had marked himself as an intruder to the very magic that bound the forest, but because he was with the princess, who had connected with it, he was unable to be targeted by the forest's mischievous intentions.

At least it didn't hurt to breathe anymore. Her magic had done it's trick and the combination of what she had given to him, and what was already within him, had worked in tandem to quickly heal most of the pain left over from his injuries.

He watched over her. He restoked the fire so she wouldn't be cold. He kept away the small bugs and critters that rummaged through the dirt near where she lay. These were all small, unseen gestures she would never know of, yet showed a degree of care towards his unlikely companion. He didn't necessarily see her as anything more than a means to an end, but he felt for her, for the position she was in. It wasn't all from his guilt, though that certainly played a part in it too, but more so for the weight she must have felt on her shoulders. It was a wonder she could even breathe at all with how suffocating it must have felt knowing she was the last of her lineage and that the very same people who destroyed her home and killed her family were now looking for her too.

Vander's exhaustion had reached it's limit and he didn't really feel like he could even get any more tired. After a certain point, he felt numb to it, like his body was so over-tired that his lack of sleep simply just didn't register anymore. That was a blessing, for now, but something that would make him miserable in the near future.

She stirred and he did his best to appear alert and awake. "Good morning." He told her, simply, eyes cast towards the dying flame in their fire pit. He had ran out of wood and knew morning would pull her awake soon, so he didn't bother to stock up anymore when it began to die down this time. "Don't worry about me. I'm ready to leave when you are." He replied. He didn't really lie, he was ready, but whether his body would hold up was a whole different story he didn't want to bring up. "Save your magic just in case we need it. I've already recovered more than enough thanks to what you have already given to me. It is much more important now that we keep moving."

Kelaira considered him for a long moment, frowning. "You're no good to me half alive. You should have rested. We won't make it very far if you're too exhausted. You also won't be much use in a fight should we be attacked again." Kelaira crossed her arms. She didn't mean to sound as harsh as she did, in truth she was grateful that he had sacrificed his own rest in order to keep her safe long enough to recover her own strength.

Slowly, Kelaria pulled herself up from the ground, stretching out her stiff muscles. Sleeping on the forest floor was definently a big change from the soft beds of the castle. Even her bedroll back in the village with the refugees had been more comfortable. If they had the money they would have to buy a couple when they reached the next town. For now she would sleep on the ground without complaint, grateful that she was alive and safe enough to sleep at all.

"Give me your hand. Don't bother arguing. You're no use to me the way you are now. You need rest, and since we can't spare the time at the moment, I'm going to have to make up for it magically. It shouldn't spend too much of my own energy. I think the forest is allowing me to tap into it's own supply which is obviously far greater than my own." Kelaria held her hand out expectantly to him.

Kelaria looked up sharply and looked around them, as if looking for any signs of danger. She could feel the forest tensing up, as if preparing for danger. As though it was warning her, she could only imagine what that warming might be. "Quickly. We don't have time." Her eyes continued to dart around. For the moment they were safe but she wasn't sure that would last much longer. They needed to move.

Kelaria took his hand into her own without waiting for him to give it to her. She wrapped both hands around it. Taking in a slow breath, Kelaria gathered magic around her, feeling it fill her with warmth. Her hand began to glow with the magic's light. Kelaria let out a breath and the magic gathered in her hands traveled from her and to him, it's light invading the darkness in Vander and filling him with energy.

"I told you, there's no reason to be concerned." He reiterated, but he had a feeling she wasn't going to accept his answer, no matter how many times he gave it to her. This was proven true when she stood up and asked for his hand, telling him that there was no use in arguing. If she were to use the energy from the Nither, he wouldn't feel so guilty about letting her heal him again, but he didn't know if she was just saying that or if it was actually true and not her trying to convince him to cooperate.

He wasn't getting out of this one without letting her have her way, but he also seemed to pick up on something else; she was in a state of panic. Had the forest sensed something coming? It felt like the trees themselves were on high alert, and Kelaria seemed very aware of that notion. Sensing that urgency, he didn't delay in lifting his hand towards her, palm angled upwards. The warmth of her light invaded the darkness swirling in his body. It felt like a tug of war was about to wage within him as the natural, dark magic he housed fought against the invading light. The effect was much more intense than the first time she had healed him, perhaps since he had actually managed to recover quite a bit since then, or maybe because he had recently used his magic so there were still effects of it lingering within his system.

To his surprise, however, her light won and pushed it's warmth inside of his hand and throughout the rest of his body, easing the aching in his tired muscles and his injured ribs. The grogginess he felt seemed alleviated as well, as though she had given him a shot of adrenaline powerful enough to shake even the deepest slumber, but he knew that it would be fleeting and temporary at most. He needed to make the most out of what was given before it was gone. He wanted to thank her for this, but that would need to wait.

"Kelaria, what's happening?" He asked her, looking around, trying to see anything through the trees that wasn't more forestry. "It feels like this whole place just lit up. Is something coming?"

Or, perhaps...someone?

Back
Top Bottom