Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Araya Lucaris (Elora Krisara x AndrewS)

It was certainly a roundabout way to prove her point, but Vander understood where Kelaria was coming from, and what she was trying to show him. He understood, at a basic level, that the actions of his brother were no more his fault than they were Kelaria's, but that wasn't something he could entirely shake so easily. It was different; it wasn't as black or white as she was making it seem, at least in his mind.

"I am not responsible, but that does not mean I should not be blamed." He protested, shaking his head. They were still connected, he probably could have thought these things rather than speaking them and she would have somehow heard and understood them loud and clear, but that felt like a cop out. It felt like he needed to say this out loud, to get these thoughts from his head as if speaking them would, in a way, pull them out so that he could finally fill the space left behind with something more positive. "It's not entirely the same...while you could not save that family in the way that you'd like, what happened to them was very much the entire fault of my brother...but I was involved in the raids, Kelaria...I killed people. I lost myself to the same darkness that claimed him and many of the people who died, or have suffered...the suffering you've been dealing with the consequences of...a lot of that happened by my hand. My brother did not hold the sword that cut their throats, Alzahar did not will me to bury my weapon into the heart of innocent people, to widow husbands and orphan children..."

The more he spoke about it, the more worked up he was getting, finding that his intentions had done the opposite. Rather than open up a space for kindness in his head and heart, we was only opening up the void.

Vander's dark magic began to flare around him, interfering with the vision she was trying to share, flooding the corners of his vision in black and purple. "The death of my brother, too, was by my hand...and you can say that it was to stop a tyrant, or to set things right, but we wouldn't even need to do that if I hadn't played the role I did in helping him rise to power and aiding him in losing his mind." With this understanding, Vander believed himself to be every bit the villain as his brother was, just in a different way. "I urge you to find forgiveness in your heart for yourself, not for me. I should be held accountable. One good deed does not undone a thousand wrong."

Kelaria frowned as the conversation took a turn for the worse. She knew Vander was likely to be resistant to anything she had to say that would put him at ease, but she had to try. She wished she could make him see himself clearly. "No." Kelaira spoke firmly inside and outside of his mind. Her magic flared up in response to the way his dark magic flared. It wasn't a conscious effort on her part, rather an uncontrolled instinctive reaction. "Being forgiven doesn't mean anyone is forgetting. Being forgiven doesn't mean you can't and won't be held accountable. You are holding yourself accountable. You did awful things Vander. We both know that. That doesn't mean you are an awful person. An awful person would live with those awful things and maybe feel guilt about them but would do nothing about it. An awful person would make it someone else's responsibility and hide away until it is forgotten, not forgiven. You are holding yourself accountable to earn your forgiveness. You're earning it Vander. You aren't blameless but you aren't the villain anymore. "

Desperate to find a way to get through to him, her magic worked to push past the darkness flooding his vision. Her mind sought to show him all the times he saved her life. She showed him the first time they revealed themselves to each other and he teleported her away from here at his own expense to make sure she survived to help her kingdom. She showed him the way he stayed behind in the Nither because she couldn't bear to see it burn and the way he fought to save them at the end of that fight. She showed him how he fought Alexandra, someone who meant so much to him, in order to protect her and get them both out safely. She showed him the way he fought his brother to save her that day in the woods and all the different ways he saved her today. She showed him himself but from her perspective; the way she saw him. Finally, she showed him the difference between the Vander Albright she met the first day in this village and the Vander Alrbight that sat in front of her, the one who had done so much to begin working to set things right. She showed him the Vander Albright she was beginning to love.

"You didn't kill your brother. Your brother was already long gone. You killed the demon inhabiting his body and you attacked the demon that put it there in the first place. You Vander Albright are not the monster you think you are. Moreover, you do not get to decide who I do and do not get to forgive."

The vision being shared changed, rapidly, reflecting Kelaria's memories. These weren't just any memories, however...it was him. He began to watch the events of their last few days together play back to him on repeat, watching from her perspective as he, the so-called unforgiveable Vander Albright, moved mountains and sacrificed everything he had to protect the last living Etherborn from his brother's scorn. The village, the Nither, fighting off his ex to protect her, and every time he raised a weapon against his brother's malice to defend her and her home from incurring anymore losses.

She wanted him to see the progress, the change.

He wasn't who he was when he started this journey, nor was he that same person who had raided alongside his brother under Alzahar's dark influence. He was his own man, he had been coming into his own as somebody she could care for, as somebody she saw light in even when the darkness surrounded him so thickly. In many ways, as much as she was light to him, he had been the same to her.

"Kelaria..."

This was real. This was what she truly felt. She wasn't trying to manipulate him so he'd keep fighting for her, she wasn't using him, even if that was how their relationship had began. She could have killed him any moment she wanted to after his brother was dead, but she didn't. She was here, fighting for him, using her magic to heal his wounds and bringing him soup to make sure he was eating and that he was warm..., showing him the better parts of himself that he could never see on his own.

"I want to see you." He told her, his tone changing. He wanted to see her. He didn't want to wake from this shared space, he simply wished to see her within it. Not as just a voice, but as a tangible thing he could reach out and touch, that he could hold. "Please."

Vander was already walking forward in this dream space, searching for her with one singular thought, a thought she would already know from what they were sharing. He wanted to wrap her in his arms and thank her for what she had just shown him, for pushing back his hateful thoughts and replacing them with something better.

There was no mistake about it. This was love. It was in it's most infant form, sped forward by the stress and trauma they had shared, but it was love, nonetheless. He just hoped she wasn't able to discern that feeling just yet before he had time to express it properly himself, or allow himself to feel it. Regardless of what his heart wanted, she was still the would-be-Queen of Arellia, and they were still divided by so much more than just his brother. The complications would be endless, but right now, he didn't care to think of them. He just wanted to be with her for one night, whether that was in their heads or out in the open, to pretend that everything around them was okay and that this was something they could both have.

"Kelaria..."

When his voice interrupted the visions, she was showing him, she worried it wasn't helping. She worried that he was beginning to argue. She prepared for him to argue. Instead, his tone changed, and he asked to see her. The visions stuttered as she tried to figure out exactly what he meant. Did he want her to end this mental connection? She wasn't sure she was ready for that but if he had had enough then she would stop. The visions stuttered again.

"Please"

The tone of his voice stopped her from ending the connection. She could feel that thought that told her what he wanted. Instead of ending, the vision returned to dimly lit wooded area, but this time it the view shifted until it focused in on them. It focused in on them in each other's arms as they kissed for the first- or rather the second- time. Everything she felt in that moment came washing over her again as though she were feeling it for the first time all over again. Soon they found themselves standing in front of one another in the woods there except this time there was no Alex and the men who had attacked her weren't there. They were both whole and healed and standing a short couple feet apart. "I'm here."

In the physical world her hands returned to his face in a gentle caress.

As she appeared before him, Vander continued to walk until there was no space between them, until her hand found his face, soothing him with her touch. His eyes shut, for a brief moment, leaning into the contact before opening up again, staring back at the brilliant glow of her own. Even in this space, which was entirely shared within their heads, there was a profound beauty in their shimmer.

"I'm sorry."

Vander spoke first, his voice hinting at sadness but his tone refusing to comply. What was he even apologizing for at this point? Anything he had done, she had already forgiven. Now, he need only forgive himself.

Vander's right hand rose to rest on top of hers, keeping it cradled against his cheek. It was a moment so tender, so raw, that it hardly felt as though he was the same, hardened warrior that she had met. Walls were crumbling, perceptions were changing. He didn't want to be any of those things anymore. He wanted to let go.

His hand fell, over the length of her arm, carving a gentle path from shoulder to wrist before separating entirely in favor of something else; his arms themselves wound around her waist, drawing her into his chest with the full force of his embrace. He held her there for a moment, maybe two, enjoying the closeness and, in many ways, using their contact as a way to pass all of that pent up grief and sadness from himself, through her, and finally, away for good. The connection they shared in this space amplified the feeling, he was acutely aware of every single place their bodies met. When he felt as though he had derived enough warmth and comfort from holding her, the next thing he wanted to do was far more simple. No over-complications, no over-thinking. It was the easiest thing he had ever wished to do.

His lips found hers, and all was well again. Darkness, and light, made whole.

There was a timid smile on Kelaria's face as he looked into her eyes. She kept her hand on his face, enjoying the warmth of his hand over hers. Her thumb brushed across his skin, and she shook her head. "Don't be sorry. Just continue to work to make things right." He was already doing it. He was already so much more than he thought of himself. He didn't have to apologize to her. In her eyes he was forgiven. He just needed to do what he needed to in order to achieve his own forgiveness and redemption.

There was a deep warmth that settled over Kelaria's physical body with each of Vander's touches in this dreamscape they shared. She found her body melted and molded itself into his as he held her in his arms. Being in his arms felt like finding home again and she wasn't sure how. By all rights she shouldn't feel so strongly for him, but their shared trauma and experiences seemed to accelerate the process of their growing feelings. It scared Kelaria but also thrilled her. It was unknown and foreign, but how could she not want more of this feeling?

Then his lips were on hers again, picking up right where her projected image had left off. Even in this shared mental space, it felt real, and it felt right. He felt right. Kelaria's hands slid from his face to wrap around each other behind his neck so that she could pull him closer to her though they were already against one another. That feeling of rightness and wholeness were so intoxicating that she could have kissed him forever and been perfectly happy.

Time felt like it found a pause, as though it decided it no longer wanted to tick any further while their lips were connected, and their bodies entangled. For Vander, it was a safety and comfort he hadn't known in some time, not since he had pushed Alexandra away, and even then, this felt different. This felt like somehow, someway, they had been drawn to each other for a reason; polar opposites meant to find equilibrium in each other's strengths and rally around each other's weaknesses. Dark and light, good and bad, two sides of the same war...it didn't matter the origin, all that mattered was the result, and the beating of his heart within his chest was proof that the result in question was exactly what Vander Albright needed, but never knew he wanted.

He took it on himself to separate after a few more moments had passed, catching the breath she had stolen from him. "...was there anything else you wished to show me?" He asked, curious. Was the intention of this shared meeting to help him forgive himself, or was it simply to bring them closer? Was there something else she wanted him to see? Or was she content staying here, wrapped in her light, enjoying each other in a place that seemed to somehow amplify every feeling with such a direct connection bonding them together. "Because I'm happy to stay here for the rest of the night..." He added, lips curling at their corners to form a smirk, those very same lips eager to pursue hers once more now that the veil had dropped and it was no longer something he needed to try and deny the urge to do.

A small and breathless giggle escaped Kelaria's lips. A giggle. It shocked her a bit to hear the sound coming from her. She shook her head. "We seem to have covered all I intended to show you. What I didn't get to...well it's a moot point now." there was an amused smile on her lips. She had meant to share with him the feelings and thoughts that had captured their mind at their first kiss, but they seemed to have covered than in a different way now. There was something so strange about the way they had attracted to one another, like something inevitable, without even realizing it. She had meant to show him that, to let him feel what she felt, but it was obvious now, in this shared space that brought them closer together, that he felt some of that himself already.

A chill ran down Kelaria's spine as his lips curled into a smirk. She could feel the release of inhibitions between them. There was no need to deny their feelings now. They both were surer of themselves and each other. Here especially, there was no need to deny it. "I'd gladly stay here with you for the remainder of the night. As long as I was with you" her hand moved to caress his face again. Her thumb moved to trace the edge of his smirk.

"It would be nice..."

His eyes moved with her hand, following it until he could no longer see her fingers. Then, it was feeling; her touch, caressing against his cheek, causing him to inadvertently lean his face a little closer, into the contact she was creating. So soft, caring, more than he deserved yet not nearly enough to satisfy his craving for her warmth, for her compassion. With all that had transpired around them, and everything they had gone through, this moment of calm reprieve felt out of place. There was a constant fear at the back of his head that something bad was going to happen, again, as it always did whenever the two of them were given a moment to be themselves, devoid of suffering, pain, and responsibility.

But then, he focused on the feeling she was giving to him with just her touch. He focused on the swirl in his stomach, the heightening of his senses and the increase of his heartbeat, subtle, yet undeniably so, and he shook his head, casting aside those errant thoughts to some place where none of them could reach.

They had done it. They had won. This was what they had earned. Through all of the pain and struggle, the heartache and misery; they still had work to do, but they had won. This was their celebration, they were both allowed one night, if nothing more, to be at peace. Tomorrow, their journey to the Araya Lucaris would continue, and their efforts to rebuild both of their kingdoms would officially begin, but that was tomorrow's calling.

"Kelaria..." He began to speak again, eyes opening after enjoying her caress, staring back at her intently. Had she not been who she was, his exact counter part in power and in magic, there would have been an intimidation in the way his glowing eyes found hers, yet this felt comfortable, moreso than any eyes he had ever looked into before. "No kingdoms, no responsibility. Tonight, I am not a traitor, and you are not a queen..."

It was his turn now to lift his hand up, delicately, to cradle her cheek in return. Though a warrior he was, his hands calloused and rough, his touch was anything but. He held her like she were made of porcelain, precious and not meant to be strained by pressure. "Stay with me as you are. Not the light of the twin kingdoms, but as the woman who has enraptured me so completely that I no longer believe that my life should be given in sacrifice to make up for my past failures. I wish to live, with you, and I wish to spend this night, with you."

Vander closed distance between their faces with a dual effort, pulling her face closer with his touch while also leaning himself, pressing their lips back together in a tight, perfect seal. It lingered for a moment before he retreated, just enough so that he could continue to speak again, his lips close enough to hers that each syllable he spoke caused them to brush together. "If you'll have me, of course..."

The way Vander held her face, so gently as though she were fragile, somehow made Kelaria feel more important than she ever had even after being told constantly about how important she was to her people and how she was meant to save them. This was a different kind of importance. She mattered to someone on a personal level. Someone loved and appreciated her for her and not just for what she could do or for what she represented. She was a human to Vander, not just a figure with a high-pressure job to do. Unconsciously, Kelaria leaned her head into his touch a bit. The emotions brought on by his touch and his words were nearly overwhelming and had her eyes glistening as though she might cry but she had it under control enough to prevent that from happening.

Kelaria fell into this next kiss as easily as the first. Though she had only been kissed that small handful of times in her life, someone it felt natural to kiss Vander. It was easy and it was right. Her heart seemed to sputter in her chest as his lips brushed against hers with every word he spoke. Her hold on him tightened just a fraction as she rearranged his words. "Of course I'll have you."

With every second that passed, their lips interconnected in a tight seal, it felt like more and more of the weight of their kingdoms vanished from Vander's shoulders, rolling off of him like rain against an awning. Separation was far from his mind, as was the fact that this shared state they were in wasn't reality, and that it wouldn't last forever. He cared not for the trivialities; she was in his arms, her lips were sewed to his and everything else would find it's way later. A strong grasp surrounded her waist, drawing her as tightly against him as he possibly could without hurting her, colliding her softer chest against the musculature of his own. He knew he didn't need to be gentle with her, yet, he still found himself moderating how much control he lost in his movements so as not to harm her, once more treating her like porcelain, precious and fragile, as though nothing in their kingdoms could ever be as valuable as the blush across her cheeks and the warmth of her body.

She wished to be with him every bit as much as he craved to be near her. While he wasn't entirely certain her response to his question had meant what he hoped that it did, he kept his movements deliberate, slow, giving her every opportunity to tell him that he was wrong should his hand move too quickly, or trespass somewhere it wasn't intended to be. The fabric of her dress, sturdy, yet soft, became bunched within the palms of his hands, his fingers gripping through to hold onto her, to instill a sense of how badly he needed this without needing to speak a single word to communicate it. His head tilted, ever so slightly, deepening the bond between their mouths, his teeth clamping down over her lower lip, claiming it, as he intended to claim her, and tugging it back lightly.

"Tell me if it's too much..." He finally breathed, heavily, his chest raising and falling into hers at a quicker pace than before, no longer content with letting action do all of the talking for him. "Please, stop me, if it's what you wish..." Warm exhalations lingered over her lips, then her cheek, and across her jaw, descending into the beautiful, unmarked expanse of her neck where his lips would find perch next. Urgent, yet as light as a feather; kisses branded whatever he could touch while his fingers continued to manipulate the material of her dress, pulling it upwards slowly, ever so slowly, as if intending to invade beyond it's boundary whenever she gave him the go ahead to do so.

"Kel..." Came his voice, next, a labored whisper that almost sounded like a groan, vibrating against the wet patch he had left against her neck. There was no end to the thought, just a half-utterance of her name, yet that spoke volumes more than any sentence he could jumble together at the moment would ever be able to convey.

How was it that even just the way Vander's warm breath danced across Kelaira's lips and skin, was enough to leave her a little bit dizzy and weak-kneed. She was aware of the slow and deliberate way that Vander moved. She knew he was waiting for her to either encourage or stop him and for a moment she wasn't sure which course of action she wanted to take. She also noticed the intensity of his movements. He was holding himself back, but it wasn't easy. Kelaria couldn't pretend she didn't want him as badly as she did, but she found herself scared. It was a big leap, even in this shared dreamscape of theirs, it was a huge leap to jump to this level of physical intimacy. It was scary but it also felt natural. Their relationship had already been moving at a speed that seemed to be verging on too fast, but somehow the connection between them made it feel natural. Already she felt more for him than she thought possible in such a short time. What was one more leap?

"Please don't stop Vander." Her voice came out in the same labored whisper he used to utter her name. The way the sound left his lips had Kelaria's insides turning to soup. He didn't need to say any more than that. She knew exactly how he felt and the growing heat inside her seemed to match his own.

With his lips pursuing hers so diligently, Vander found the last of his restraints beginning to unshackle as she told him not to stop, expressing that she was as serious about taking their relationship one step farther as he had been. While this was only for one night, a quiet reprieve after all of the nightmares and pain they had been through, their union posed a bigger change in the grand scheme of their kingdoms. Peace had once existed, but it was fragile. Between the two of them, perhaps, the solution could be something more permanent?

But he was looking too far into the future. It was difficult not to, given their differences, and the way his people had desecrated her home, but to jump straight to thoughts of a future? Vander needed to focus himself more on and here and now, and not what could possibly come, so he shut his eyes and nodded his head in time to her request, kissing her as though his life depended on it and he would never have the opportunity to do so again.

Fingers pressed in as hands roamed, exploring tepidly the curvature of her body with intent of removing the dress that concealed it. There was a moment, however, when Vander began to feel like something was very, very off. It wasn't within their dreamscape, however, it was something else. It was something outside.

His eyes opened, breaking from the kiss, in an instance of concern. "Kel, do you feel that?" He asked, suddenly, still looking into her eyes, but searching now for a sign that she was sensing it too. "Kel, something's wrong."

While Vander and Kelaria had been connected in their dreamscape, life went on as usual for the village they were staying in. As the fire died, and the lanterns were put out, one-by-one, the homes around them fell into darkness as everybody turned in for the night to sleep. The streets were empty, save for one; walking, slowly, leaving tracks in the dirt until they reached the center of the village, where the fire pit once burnt brightly. Moonlight kept them a silhouette, shrouded in black and silver save for the red of their eyes, piercing, and the swirl of magic around their right hand. It twisted and turned like a snake, pulling this person in the direction of Vander and Kelaria before straightening out into the shape of a blade.

"Finally." They spoke, their voice low as to not disturb what appeared to be their slumber, unaware of what was actually happening between the two of them. "I've got you."

They started to get closer before being impeded, suddenly, by the arrival of another figure, much faster than the first. Alexandra stood between her allies and the intruder, barely dressed for combat and without her weapon, though it was a simple summon away from returning to her. "Can't a girl get a little bit of sleep around here?" She asked, sighing. "I've had a really long day. I really do-" She trailed off, watching as the figure create a second blade of magic in their opposite hand. "Alright, then." Alexandra sighed, opening her palm, summoning her blade into it. She looked over her shoulder at Vander and Kelaria, so intimately intertwined, before focusing back on the threat at hand. "I'm getting really tired of seeing demons. I am Alexa-"

"I know who you are." The voice called back, clearly masculine now in tone. "I don't care. I'm not here for you, I'm here for them. You should be ashamed of yourself for harboring her, the enemy of your nation's progress. Maybe you've grown soft. Why don't you step aside and let me do what you aren't strong enough to?"

"Kelaria Etherborn is under my protection. I don't think I'll be doing that tonight."

"Suit yourself, Alexandra van Arbos. Daughter of Phinnea and Lucetria van Arbos, First Lieutenant of the Astellian Crown Guard." The voice spoke again, speaking Alex's titles back at her, denying her the right of saying her usual speech before turning it against her. "Yield, or face my blade."

Sword met magic, ringing out into the silence, disturbing it with the noise of a fight.

As though her mind had been consumed only by thoughts of him, in some senses it had, the second Vander broke the kiss Kelaria was finally able to make herself aware of what he was talking about. Something really was wrong. She couldn't tell what exactly, but she knew they'd have to leave this little dreamscape of theirs. She wasn't sure what to be more frustrated about: having their time together interrupted at such a pivotal moment or having to deal with more potential threats on their first and only chance to rest in quite some time. She was really looking forward to getting some sleep at some point.

Kelaria nodded her head. "I feel it." she paused for a moment, reluctant to release him. Eventually she stepped out of his hold and vanished from his sight within the dreamscape.

In the waking world, Kelaria opened her eyes and let herself readjust to reality. She took in the scene before her, feeling a bit of guilt when she saw Alexandra standing between them and more danger. The woman should be sleeping and shouldn't have to witness the rather intimate embrace it seemed she and Vander had found themselves in. It turns out their contact hadn't been limited to their shared dreamscape. Despite her guilt, Kelaria was relieved and grateful to have Alexandra's help.

Kelaria freed herself from Vander's hold and stood. "So much for resting tonight." she gritted her teeth as she gathered magic to her hands. Not here. Not where these people were finally beginning to rebuild. She refused to have a repeat of last time and she refused for these people to think of her as a bad omen. She was done brining danger on her people simply by being near them.

Kelaria had come out of the trance faster than Vander had, and it made sense given that it was of her creation and magic and not his. When she awoke to the sight that was playing out before her, she would have seen the flash of steel and magic colliding in a quick flurry, both combatants trading blows with each other in an urgent manner. There was no holding back, and while the side defending them would clearly be recognized as Alexandra, even in the dark of the night, the assailant was much more mysterious and unknown. They had two weapons in comparison to Alex's one, allowing them to strike faster, and with an unpredictability that had even a warrior as skilled as her trying to figure out what to do to counter it, fighting in the dark against an opponent she had no information on, and doing all of it after being beyond exhausted from the events of the day prior.

Alexandra had barely gotten an hour or two of rest and here she was, fighting to protect them, again, and having seen the two of them in such a loving, intimate position in the process. Her strength was unmatched in more ways than just physical, and her loyalty seemingly knew no bounds, even towards somebody who had effectively put a wall between her and the man that she had loved.

"How long do you think you can keep this up?" He asked her, chidingly, treating her like she was a child.

"That depends. How long you got?" She replied, confidently, though she was already beginning to move a little more sluggishly, pushing through the aching in her body and the tiredness of her mind. Her reaction time had to be slowing too, judging by the way that she was only barely now able to parry in time to shield herself from being badly injured. She acted as though she could go all night, but her body would fail her long before the assassin's would.

Alexandra was so caught up in the fight that she hadn't noticed that Kelaria had already awoken. The man fighting her, however, saw the tell-tale glow of her light beyond Alexandra and a smirk came to his lips. "Time's running out, unfortunately." He told her, simply. As he did, he cast a spell.

Dark magic formed itself into the shape of another blade two feet above her head, manifesting behind Alexandra so that she wouldn't be able to see it coming. Crossing both of the blades in his hands, the assailant locked both like an X, entering into a battle of strength with her, but it was merely meant as a distraction while the third sword fully formed, it's pointed tip aimed directly towards the middle of Alexandra's back. "Give her father my regards."

Vander's eyes shot open as he finally snapped back to the present. First, he saw Kelaria let her light die down, hesitating, and then, he saw Alexandra about to be impaled by an unseen blade. He acted where Kelaria faltered, activating his magic and teleporting himself between Alexandra and the sword. It swung down with perfect timing, expecting to pierce through Alex's back, but instead, it met Vander. The sword made it's way through his rib cage, missing anything vital, but forcefully carving it's way through his back and out of the other side of his body. In passing through, it's tip also sliced into Alexandra, but it barely went more than an inch or two deep, the rest of the blow was cushioned by Vander's body instead.

Vander felt incredible pain, then his eyes went crimson, and his hands grasped at the magic that made the blade. He pulled at it in a terrifying display of anger, ripping it from his own body and swinging it backwards in one, powerful motion, causing the attacker to take a step back to narrowly avoid being hit by it. Alexandra, in the meanwhile, had already fallen to the ground, blood dripping through the cotton of the shirt she had been wearing. The commotion had caused a scene, and now, villagers were leaving their homes, coming towards the source of the attack.

"I see I made a mistake coming here alone. I will not do that again." He responded, simply, his weapons disappearing as he looked around at all the people that were gathering. He seemed displeased with the idea of murdering an entire village, something which Vander would have found off had he been in control of himself since anyone related to Alzahar's demons wouldn't hesitate for a moment, but Vander had already lost control of himself ad was ready to tear into the attacker who dissipated like mist, teleporting away, leaving the aftermath. The sword that was in Vander's hands vanished as well, leaving no trace of the assassin behind.

Vander, with demonic eyes, stood at the fore front of the villagers, proof positive that he was still the monster they feared he was, blood rushing from the hole that had been made in his torso. Meanwhile, Alexandra was bleeding too, though not nearly as badly hurt, and was recognizing the situation rather quickly.

"Van! Hey, Van. It's okay, I'm okay." She told him, staggering to her feet. She tried to snap him out of it, lifting her hand like she wanted to place it against his cheek, but stopping herself. "Kelaria, please, need your help here..." She called out, instead, knowing that this was no longer her place.

Kelaria was furious with herself for hesitating but she had found herself stuck between action and inaction. She was trying to find a way to deescalate the situation without the villagers having to relive the horrors she already thrust upon them once before. When the new blades formed, surrounding Alexandra, Kelaria realized there would be no avoiding this. Kelaria let her magic collect around her again when she met the eyes of their attacker. Shock had her frozen again. "B-Bastian?" her stomach twisted as she realized her recognized him.

Her hesitation once again set her up for failure and made her allies pay the price. "No!" Kelaria lunged for Vander as the blade sliced through him. How did this keep happening? Kelaria felt like she was running in circles as events seemed to be repeating themselves endlessly.

This time, when Alexandra called to her, Kelaria didn't hesitate. She rushed to Vander, One hand reached to grab his shoulder and the other reached for his bleeding wound. Light already gathered in the palm of her hand as she pressed it against the wound so she could heal him again. Her eyes met his and her free hand moved to hold the back of his neck. "Vander look at me." She kept her eyes trained on his. "Vander, She's safe. Alexandra is alright. You saved her. I will heal her but you need to come back to us." Her hand, now glowing with purple light, moved from his neck to his cheek.

Kelaria's voice felt like a soothing wave washing over him. It pushed against his anger, against the darkness that had come forth, calming it bit-by-bit, like pieces of a puzzle slowly sliding into place. The red in his eyes faded until it had vanished entirely and he fell forward into her hold, against the warmth of her body and into her light. He stayed quiet, for a couple of moments, not sure how to act or what to do until all of the angry feelings had subsided. "Kel..." He whispered, looking at her directly, the way she had requested. He nodded his head, slowly, before directing it towards the crook of her neck and shoulder, embracing her.

Alexandra took a couple of steps back, letting them have their moment, trying to avoid the pain she was feeling, not just in the wound on her back but in her chest as she watched them, once again, be so intimate with each other.

The villagers had begun to back away, seeing that the situation has subsided, but Alex knew this wasn't going to be easy to explain in the morning. It felt like trouble and danger just followed them wherever they went, and they had seen what Vander had done, what he had become...she hoped they would understand.

Vander pulled away from Kelaria, slightly, to stand on his own. "Thank you...I..."

"It's alright." Alex told him, smiling, trying to be strong. "You saved me. You didn't have to risk your life again for it...but you saved me, so I should be the one thanking you."

Her shirt had turned pure red, the white cotton having absorbed what had seeped from her wound. She sighed, knowing that she would need some help with this. "Kelaria, if you wouldn't mind?" She asked, looking past her towards Vander again. "You need to get some rest. Sleep off what happened, we'll handle the rest. We're okay, Van."

"What if he comes back?"

"He won't."

"How can you be so sure?"

"You didn't hear what he said while you were fighting, did you? He said that he made a mistake coming here alone. He won't be back tonight, but I can't say the same for tomorrow. We should probably leave again in the morning, to keep these people safe, so you need to rest. Kel, some help here?" She asked, knowing that Vander would probably listen to Kelaria more than her, but still, it made her feel a little happy to know that despite the distance between them, he still cared about her well-being enough to risk his life and to be concerned.

"I'm trusting you with her safety, Alex."

"Of course. You can count on me."

Vander had no choice but to do just that. His body ached, and he was even more tired after what had happened. His own wound still pained him as well, though Kelaria had sealed it with her magic. He needed to rest, so he did just that, his mind still racing but his body betraying his wistful mind by making sure he fell asleep pretty quickly after he laid himself back down.

Alexandra led Kelaria away from the fire, down towards the lake where she had been earlier, wincing a little as she walked. When they reached it's edge, and had some privacy, she stopped. "You knew him, didn't you?" Alex asked as she reached behind herself, lifting her shirt up over her midsection. Her skin was smooth, surprisingly unblemished despite her being a warrior who fought so often. Unlike Vander, there were no scars, no scratches or markings save for the new wound that had been made during her fight. The further she pulled her shirt up, the more it revealed just how great of a shape she was in, explaining a little better how she could move so quickly and put her body through so much stress without breaking down.

"That man who attacked us. Who is he to you?"

Last edited:
"I'm trusting you with her safety, Alex."

Despite her concern for him, Kelaria couldn't help but roll her eyes at him. It filled her with a sense of warmth, knowing that he was concerned for her safety behind just needing her as a tool to put an end to this all, but she also couldn't help but roll her eyes. She was plenty capable, as was Alexandra. "She's managed to keep me alive this long I think she can manage for a while longer while you rest Vander." She chose not to bring up her own capability as she was sure it wouldn't stop him from worrying anyway.

Once Vander was situated and resting, Kelaria dutifully followed Alexandra towards the water. She was quiet when Alexandra asked about Bastian the first time, focusing her attention on the warrior's wound. She spread her fingers out and brought her palm towards the wound, allowing purple light to seep into it, sewing her back together as it healed her from the inside out.

Finally Kelaria answered, "His name is Bastian. He was....a suitor of sorts. The first and last I'd ever had. I was too busy for suitors. My mom took all of my time for my studies...but somehow his father had convinced my father to allow for the chance of a betrothal. Bastian tried to woo me for a while but it became obvious early on that his intentions weren't for me but for the power I could give him at his side. It was a very short and unrequited courtship and Bastian's pride was bruised in the process. I never really thought I'd see him again, especially not wrapped up in all this."

Kelaria's healing magic worked it's wonders on the wound that Alexandra had sustained, mending what had been damaged by their assailant. Alex gave a knowing nod to Kelaria, a subtle, silent 'thank you' for what she had done. Alexandra had been through more than enough over the last couple of days, they all had, but it felt like every time they started to turn a corner, something else was going wrong.

"Bastian." She repeated the name given to the man who had attacked them, spoken from Kelaria's own tongue. She knew him, and that was why she had recognized his identity. Even more surprising was the fact that this Bastian had been a potential suitor for her, a would-be inheritor of her throne in days past. First, she thought of how difficult it must have been for Kelaria to have seen him again in this fashion, but then, her mind wandered back to Vander. How would he react knowing that a flame from Kelaria's past had not only returned, but had just tried to kill her?

"You need to tell him." She spoke, softly, looking out towards the water. "He needs to know what's coming. He cares about you so deeply, Kelaria. He deserves to know what's going on, especially if this Bastian is intending on returning again...he said he made a mistake coming alone. There are more like him?"

Kelaria let out a heavy breath. It wasn't a conversation she was looking forward to having with Vander. He wouldn't be happy about the news. The last thing they needed was another enemy working against them, much less one with the history Bastian had with Kelaria. Alexandra was right though. She had to tell him. He needed to know what was coming. Kelaria sat down a rock large enough to be somewhat comfortable to sit on. It made her head spin a bit to think about the turn the night had taken. She felt a twinge of regret at how her brief moment of alone time with Vander had been interrupted. She felt an even deeper regret that Alexandra had to witness it, at least in part, again.

The princess looked to the warrior beside her. "More like him? More suitors you mean? None so serious as Bastian was. More working in league with him? I do not know. I didn't expect for even him to be so involved with Alzahar and his plotting. I didn't realize his bitterness would drive him to ally himself with demons." She shook her head. "Bastian was always far too interested in power. I believe that's the reason he wished to marry me. He would not only become King at my side, but I believe he hoped to use my magic to fuel his own needs. He mentioned- rather boldly I might add- several times during our short-lived courtship, that he was excited to add the power of the Etherborn bloodline to his own family bloodline. He was ambitious but I never expected him to go this far. If I had thought of him at all, I would have thought that he would have fled the twin kingdoms entirely."

"It's a tricky game to play." Alexandra responded, knowing herself the connotations of shacking up with royalty. "I would be lying if I told you I hadn't flirted with the idea in the past. How could I not? Vander was..." She stopped, correcting herself. "...is a prince of Astellian. Though what happened between us in our past could have never become anything more than what it had been, the thought had crossed my mind before." Alex sighed, looking away from Kelaria as though she were ashamed to admit it. "Some people are unable to resist the temptation of power, or the allure of ambition. They take until there's nothing left to take and they remain forever unsatisfied... Balthier was a prime example of that. It was never about that for me, but the thought was always there...that what if, you know?"

Alexandra turned back towards Kelaria now, a timid, almost apprehensive smile on her lips, nearly unseen from the low light of the night time sky, but it was as forced as could be. "For what it's worth, I believe in fate. Fate's will was not in my favor when it came to him, but it feels different with you. Your decision to stray from this Bastian's advances seems to have been a sound one."

Alex wasn't sure if there had ever been such an open and honest moment between the two. She had things she wanted to say...and she had things she knew that she shouldn't. They were here, alone, there was no interference or prying ears to listen to what was to be said. The warrior took a breath, then spoke aloud once more, the recollection and reminiscing on her past saddening her tone. "He's a good man. He needs somebody like you. Somebody kinder, somebody who can bring him balance between the person that he is, and the man that his brother made him. Promise me you'll keep him safe when I cannot. If you do nothing else for me during our alliance, please, let it be that."

There was a level of maturity there that Alex herself hadn't thought she had in her. She had already decided to step aside, but she had never truly stopped caring, or wanting the best for him. She was realizing now that if Kelaria was to be the one whom fate bound to Vander, it was no longer her place to be his keeper. She could give him more than Alex ever could, and that was a heartbreaking realization, but one that needed to be done regardless. She didn't want to linger, so she forced the conversation to move on.

"If there is another threat coming, then I stand by what I said before. You need to tell him about Bastian. There is history there, history tends to complicate things on the battlefield....Kelaria?" She asked, walking past her, back towards the camp where Vander had been waiting. "Thank you for healing me. Goodnight..."

Slow steps took Alexandra away from Kelaria, putting space between them as she quickly faded through the trees, leaving the princess to ponder on what had been said.

"Y'know I could've had this taken care of by now right?"

No response came from the stoic Balthier, so Marley decided to try again.

"Right? Helloooo? Anybody in there?" She lifted her hand to place her palm against Balthier's head, but his hand rose in time to block it.

"Don't touch me."

Marley lowered her hand, rolling her eyes. "Sheesh. Why the bad mood? Worried that your little errand boy couldn't get the job done?"

"Do you ever grow tired of hearing yourself speak?"

"Not particularly. Do you ever grow tired of being miserable all the time? We're demons. Nobody can touch us, we can do whatever we want. Two whole kingdoms ripe for the picking, and you're here being all gloomy, all the time."

"I have a job to do. Alzahar ha-"

"Alzahar this. Alzahar that. Last I checked, you were the crown prince of Astellia, not your 'advisor'."

"Why didn't you tell me she would be there?"

Bastian appeared through a portal not with a step but in a full pace, walking out of it and past Marley, straight towards Balthier. "Van Arbos. Your prized lieutenant."

"So, you failed?"

"I failed? I did everything that I could with the information that you gave me, but you decided to leave out some important knowledge, didn't you, Albright?"

They were face to face, now, and Marley watched on with childlike anticipation.

"Just admit it. You never wanted me to catch either of them, did you? You withheld information on purpose to save your precious little brother."

"I would ne-"

"Save it, Albright. I'm done listening to you. I'm doing this my way."

"You would defy my order?"

"Yeah, I would." He responded, calmly. "When I bring them back to Alzahar, I will answer to nobody, especially not you."

"Where do you think you're going?"

"To do my damned job. And I certainly won't be going back alone." He said, turning his back on Balthier and heading towards the exit. He stopped, for a brief moment, to look in Marley's direction. "You seem capable. Care to join the cause?"

"Thought you'd never ask!" Marely said, all too gleeful. "What?" She asked, looking back at Balthier when he looked in her direction. "He's more fun. See ya, rain cloud." Marley bound her way towards Bastian, leaving with him. "So, tell me all about sparkles. What was she like?" She asked, bugging Bastian about Kelaria as the door shut behind them.

"Vander..." Balthier whispered, to himself, a silent admission that what Bastian had said about him had been true.

Last edited:
Kelaria carefully considered Alexandra's words. "I suppose the thought itself, is only natural. I may not be able to relate, having been born into it already, but I think I can understand the inclination to such thoughts. However, it would have been different for you. The power would have only been a side effect of something.... greater." she winced a bit, feeling slightly uncomfortable referring to Alexandra's relationship with Vander that way. She wasn't sure if it was because she didn't like to think of the two of them together- the thought of the kiss she witnessed was enough to flare up an unnecessary amount of jealousy. - or if it made her uncomfortable because she was afraid of throwing it back in Alex's face. "For Bastian I believe I was the side effect, and the power was always his primary goal. My father should have seen through his charade, but he was always far too trusting a man. It's one of the things I loved most about him." her voice grew tight. "But it also played a big part in his downfall." Kelaira shook her head as she realized she had drifted off topic.

Alexandra's words made Kelaria's stomach tighten uncomfortably. Her chest felt tighter and heavier as well, like her ribs were being pushed against. She wasn't sure how much she believed in or trusted fate at the moment, but she recognized the weight of the claim Alexandra made. "I'm sorry for the pain this causes you, seeing Vander and I together. If there was a way to spare you from it I would, but that would mean giving him up completely and I fear I'm too far gone for that." Her eyes dropped for a moment, wishing there was possibly some way to comfort the warrior who had shown such great loyalty to her, loyalty she didn't feel like she had earned. Though Kelaria recognized that it may just be loyalty because of her association with Vander. Either way, she was endlessly grateful. She didn't look back up at Alexandra until she made her request.

"I promise I will always do everything in my power to keep him safe." There was such a conviction in Kelaria's voice as she made her promise. Clearly the task was just as important to Kelaria as it was for Alex. It was an easy promise to make because the opposite wasn't something Kelaria could imagine living with at the moment.

At the reminder to tell Vander, Kelaria only nodded her head in response before uttering a soft, "goodnight" and letting the warrior leave. Kelaria stayed where she was for a moment longer before returning to where she had her bed-roll beside Vander's. She laid down beside him but kept some distance between them as he slept.

Despite her efforts, Kelaria somehow found herself in Vander's arms as they slept. Even though the ground they slept on was hardly comfortable, in his arms she somehow found the best sleep she had experienced in a long time.

When Vander awoke to the warmth of a morning sun on his face, he found his arms curled around Kelaria, shielding her from the cold and keeping her close to him. How had that happened? He remembered her going off into the woods with Alexandra, and him trying his very best to stay awake against all pain and exhaustion to make sure they both returned safe, but he had fallen asleep. Had he woken and forgot it? Or had she decided the only place she could properly rest was with him at her side? Either way, he remained still for a few moments more, allowing the moment to linger a little bit longer before finally trying to stir her awake so that he could rise himself.

"Good morning."
He whispered, the act of tugging his arm out from underneath her serving as a gentle shake and stir to rouse her from her slumber. "I hope you slept well..." He continued, sensing something strange happening around him. He played it off as just his tired body trying to wake back up, or from the constant push and pull of his dark against her light while they remained rested, but it was beginning to make him paranoid. He anticipated the interruption before it had even arrived due to this alerted state.

"Hey, love birds."
Called out a female voice, familiar as always. He could hardly see her, but he knew that it was Alex coming to retrieve them. "You...might want to see this."

Vander sat himself up, the aching in his body having almost entirely subsided. The feeling seemed to be getting stronger the more his body adjusted to being awake again. "Kel...do you feel that...?" He couldn't explain it, but it felt all encompassing, like they were surrounded by something strong. As he walked in the direction Alex had gone, and away from the center of the town, he could see past the homes here that there was a strange, green glow encircling the village, caging them in like prisoners.

Vander walked straight past Alex, Regis, and the rest of the villagers, stepping up to the glow at the gate. He placed his hand against it, and it resisted him, as if pushing him back. The magic felt much like his own, demonic in nature, but he couldn't interact with it. "I don't understand." He spoke, mostly to himself, turning back towards his companions in particular.

"It showed up earlier this morning..." Regis tried to explain, though he himself also couldn't understand it properly.

A woman ran towards the barrier, repelled back by it. On the other side, a small child, crying, tried to do the same, separated from her parent. "Lily! Lily, it's okay. Mama's here..." Vander heard mother plea to child, divided, sobbing soon following shortly after.

Alex placed her hand on Vander's shoulder. "Van, when you were fighting that man last night, do you remember what he said?"

"No...I don't really remember much..."

"He said he would return. I'm worried that this may be some sort of plot."

"Do we know why he attacked? What does he want?" Vander asked, out loud, unaware of the connection between Kelaria and their assailant.

"He's...well..." Alex trailed off, uncertain whether she could answer that question or not.

A soft groan rumbled from Kelaria's throat as Vander roused her from sleep. She opened her eyes and couldn't help but smile a bit, as well as blush, as she took in their proximity to one another. It seemed her efforts the night before to put a bit of distance between them had been in vain. Her smile remained on her face as she took in Vander's features, pleased to see that he looked well rested for once. She too felt that something was off. There was an uncomfortable pressure on her as she sensed the interference of demon magic pushing against her own but in her half drowsy state simply assumed it was due to the closeness of her and Vander and their opposing magic. She slowly sat up, still blushing a bit. "I slept very well actually. I didn't realize how badly I needed some decent sleep. How are you feeling today?" she glanced at his chest where his now healed wound was. "We will have to get you something clean to wear." she noted the dried blood on the fabric covering his chest.

Once fully awake, Kelaria could feel a greater weight on her, like being pushed at by all sides. It caused a dull headache that tampered with her mood. She stood as Alexandra called to them. Any trace of a smile dropped from her face as she followed behind Vander and took in the village around her. She looked at the menacing green glow surrounding them and knew immediately that it was Bastian's handiwork. "Damn-it." she looked to where the mother and child called to one another and winced.

Kelaira approached the barrier as well, filling her hand with the bright light of her magic. She held her hand up, palm out, to the barrier to see how it would react to her light. "Alexandra is right. This is his doing." she winced a bit when Alex trailed off, knowing she didn't want to answer because it was up to Kelaria to tell him about Bastian.

Kelaria let out a yelp of pain as her hand felt as though it had been burned the second her light touched the barrier. She yanked her hand back as the light in it was snuffed out. She held her hand to her chest as she inspected it for any signs of physical injury. She turned around to face her allies but dropped her voice. "We need to find a way to get these people to safety. We don't know when he will return. I want to avoid casualties. Obviously, we can't get the past the barrier but there must be somewhere we can hide them..." her eyes flashed to Vanders. "We need to talk...about the man who attacked last night. I knew him."

Even Kelaria, who was the strongest of the three, could do little against the barrier with her light. That was all Vander truly needed to see to realize that everybody here was in danger, even if they weren't quite aware yet just what that danger actually was. The mother had been pulled away from the wall of magic by other towns folk, crying as she was separated from her child. Around the village, similar interactions were happening at other ends of the barrier, which seemed to extend the entirety of the town's perimeter, stopping just before the forest that Alex and Kelaria had been in during their talk the night prior. There appeared to be no gaps at all in the surrounding, and the energy seemed to extend high enough above them that it towered over even the best attempt to try and scale it's height.

Alexandra nodded her head as Kelaria mentioned an evacuation. "That sounds like the right choice to make, but this barrier seems impossible for us to breach." She pointed out as her magic, too, faltered against it's verdant strength. "Perhaps a teleportation spell? But doing so would be near impossible for this many people, Kelaria." Alexandra didn't want to be the bearer of bad news, but her worries were founded. Even if that spell would work, they would need to get at least a hundred people to safety. "Damn it!" She cursed, under her breath, pounding her hand against the wall of magic. It bounded back, creating a spark where her powers had collided with the demonic energy, but it didn't even so much as dent what was essentially a forcefield that was caging them in. "Why must we face obstacle after obstacle?"

"You knew him?" Vander asked, lingering on that when Kelaria spoke up to him. This seemed like a sensitive conversation, so he nodded his head away from the crowd as if non verbally telling her to walk with him. He led the pace until they were private enough to speak. "You knew him." He repeated, a second time, to facilitate conversation. "Is that why he came here? To kill you?"

Back
Top Bottom