Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Time travel

Or two rivalling organisations. One that protects a certain timeline and another that attempts to use time travel to create the best of possible worlds by constantly tweaking the past.

Two time travel organizations sounds promising. I like it. Sometimes they world together. Other times they oppose each other.

One to preserve and monitor a fixed timeline. They have agents all through time to live and monitor the very specific events they report back to HQ Time Hub.

The other operates to fix events. Fine tuning the past to maximize a better future. Some live, some die, by their hand. Some time there is a glitch. People they thought they prevented from being born gets born anyways to different parents.

I love Time Travel always have. I had an idea for a one on one RP dealing with time travel but the more I think of it, the concept could be adapted to a group setting.

This is the original concept I had for the 1 on 1 roleplay. what do you think?

Hi.

My name is Max. I am back on Blue Moon after a long absence and your request thread intrigued me.

I love historical roleplays and I had an idea for a long term roleplay for a while and wondering if it might interest you.

In the near future, Time travel is possible. But in order to have the experience without messing the timeline, people are brought back. So people could have a conversation with Einstein, watch a Harry Houdini escape act ect. And when the exhibit is done, their mind is wiped and sent back to the moments before their deaths.

An unscrupulous pimp with a time travel fetish does the same but with prostitutes from various eras and holds them in a tower called the Temporal Bordello. Where each floor is a different time period and with hologram technology, sets, and androids, the girls who have been abducted don't realize that they are actually not out of their time.

My idea is YC is a lady of the night from any era you chose, I like 1840's France but that is because I am a huge Les Mis fan. The Chronicle would be in three acts.

The first is back in your time period when agents of the Bordello test your limits and see if you would be a right fit.

The second act would be at the Bordello where YC slowly realizes something is off and a client starts to fall in love with you and you him, and he wonders if he should tell you the truth. and MC will try to break you out of there to give you your freedom.

The Third act would be how YC would adjust to the 2040's and deciding do you want to go back or would you want to start a new life out of time.

I know that this is very intricate but I think would be very exciting particular with two partners who have a fondness for history.

I have been craving a time travel rp so badly. I also like the idea of opposing organizations, because enemies to lovers is one of my favorite tropes Plus I really identify with a idealistic person seeking to change history itself to create a better future.

Plus I really identify with a idealistic person seeking to change history itself to create a better future.

For myself I would favour a more protective type of time traveller. One whose philosophy would basically be that no matter what you change, remove or add, to a specific time you still can't avoid events like WW2 (killing Hitler would not stop the holocaust from happening or the nukes to be dropped, they might just be unconnected), 9/11 (stopping the planes headed for the WTC would perhaps cause the plane headed for the White house to reach its target instead), The assassinations of Kennedy, Martin Luther King, Gandhi, or rather you might avoid those specific events but other events of similar magnitude would happen instead, or they would still happen just in a different way. All in accordance with The Self-Healing Hypothesis, (which basically states that time will heal itself by setting off alternative event/s instead of the event/s altered by a time-traveller, causing the present to remain as it was (or at least very closely to the way it was). Basically, the present doesn't want to be changed and the past will do whatever is necessary to maintain the present.

There are of course also various other time-travelling paradoxes to consider.

There is a rather intriguing example of the so-called Grandfather Paradox presented not long ago where the a time traveller goes back in time to stop the COVID 19 patient zero from being infected and ends up being infected themselves and thus the pandemic still happens.

Because, people are people, and whether we like it or not we are hardwired for destruction of one kind or another.

Another interesting paradox, which I think is basically a variation on the Predestination Paradox, is at the heart of The Umbrella Academy Series where each attempt to save the world causes the world to end in a different way and the only way to actually save the world is to not save it, to put it simply.

I can also see myself playing a character that started out as an idealist centuries ago trying to create a utopia but learning the lesson above the hard way. I mean can either one of us point to one specific event that would lead to a world of peace, prosperity, equality, no wars, no poverty and starvation, no hierarchic structures, if it was changed?

Ok. Now I'm just rambling. I can see that but hopefully these ramblings will spark ideas, somewhere, somehow.

Oooh, I like the sound of that potential plot direction.

It does have a lot of potential indeed. Just imagine how a person from the 19th century might react to something as simple (to us) as a flashlight. A portable steady bright light that needs no fuel (as it would seem to them) which does not give off a strong smell or risk causing fires if dropped. The very size of a pocket flashlight would baffle them and appear magical.

This idea might also touch on Starfleet's General Order 1 (the prime directive), which prohibit Starfleet members from interfering with the natural development of alien civilisations, protecting unprepared civilisations from the danger of starship crews introducing advanced technology, knowledge, and values before they are ready to understand and use them properly. One reason for such a rule pertaining to time travel might be to avoid, as far as possible, the bootstrap paradox, to ensure that technology was developed when it was supposed to. Just imagine the impact a simple (again to us) bic lighter might have if presented to someone living before the invention of matches. Would it change the course of technological evolution, and if so, in what way?

My time travel idea is a bit less ambitious. Based on the song 'Pictures of Lily' by The Who.

I used to wake up in the morning
I used to feel so bad
I got so sick of having sleepless nights
I went and told my dad
He said, "Son now here's some little something"
And stuck them on my wall
And now my nights ain't quite so lonely
In fact I, I don't feel bad at all
Pictures of Lily made my life so wonderful
Pictures of Lily helped me sleep at night
Pictures of Lily solved my childhood problems
Pictures of Lily helped me feel alright
Pictures of Lily
Lily, oh Lily
Lily, oh Lily
Pictures of Lily
And then one day things weren't quite so fine
I fell in love with Lily
I asked my dad where Lily I could find
He said, "Son, now don't be silly"
"She's been dead since 1929"
Oh, how I cried that night
If only I'd been born in Lily's time
It would have been alright
Pictures of Lily made my life so wonderful
Pictures of Lily helped me sleep at night
For me and Lily are together in my dreams
And I ask you, "Hey mister, have you ever seen"
"Pictures of Lily?"

For those not familiar with the song, a boy falls in love the pin up girl his dad gives him. When he tells dad he wants to meet her he gets the crushing news that 'she's been dead since 1929'. So what does a young boy do when he learns his masturbatory fantasy died decades (or nearly a century) earlier? Why grows up to invent time travel to go find her of course!

In my version, the sexy pin up starlet had met an untimely death and our grown up boy arranges to prevent that and save her.

This idea might also touch on Starfleet's General Order 1 (the prime directive), which prohibit Starfleet members from interfering with the natural development of alien civilisations, protecting unprepared civilisations from the danger of starship crews introducing advanced technology, knowledge, and values before they are ready to understand and use them properly. One reason for such a rule pertaining to time travel might be to avoid, as far as possible, the bootstrap paradox, to ensure that technology was developed when it was supposed to. Just imagine the impact a simple (again to us) bic lighter might have if presented to someone living before the invention of matches. Would it change the course of technological evolution, and if so, in what way?
There has been mention in various Star Trek media where time travel is featured of a Temporal Prime Directive, which is the same non-interference policy, except it basically states to not interfere in the past, in any way, shape, or form.

Anyway, this might interest me, if it doesn't die within the first week. Sorry if that comes off as pessimistic, but group RPs don't exactly have a great track record in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom