Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

☾ — BLOOD。MOON ❖: feelsHASkilig && JINFINITE

feelsHASkilig

Solo Conversationalist

00HaNNb.gif

welcome to a jinsley original production!
fate and destiny can be such evil forces. you think you are doing everything right in life then all of a sudden you find out they have completely other plans for you. when you think you know what you want in life, they swoop right in and loudly proclaim that you are completely WRONG.

#teamjinsley is out here tackling twilight! well, at least the imprinting side. only issue is that fate and destiny are cruel and have decided that two individuals born from opposing beings are destined for each other. what we will learn quickly is that while fate and destiny have the final say, external forces (both mortal and immortal) will try any and everything to go against it. except for the two that destiny has joined together. to achieve the pure happiness they desire more than life itself, they must be ready to fight fang and claws to keep it.

**Disclaimer:: This roleplay migrated from it's original thread on another roleplaying site. The first 9 posts are previous posts written between Jin and me.**

Last edited:

sxUU3Wv.png

tab tab tab tab tab tab ( ) ━━ CLARKE WINTERS ⋮⋮
CLARKE (SPEECH) tab tab tab CLARKE (POWERS) tab tab tab OTHERS (SPEECH)
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

rosie-tupper-gif-7.gif
“I hope everything is to your liking. I tried to be as close to what you had asked for when you bought the property. It was definitely quite a list.” The real estate agent let out a nervous chuckle at this. Clarke turned her head briefly from the large portrait in the hallway to strain her hearing towards the conversation. She heard the agent’s elevated heartbeat as her parents surveyed each room. The longer the two of them remained silent, the more nervous he got. At one point, as they walked up the stairs to the second story, she wanted to join in with the small group just to give this poor man a chance to calm down. But that feeling passed when she finally heard her parents make comments about what they had done with the decor of the house.

It was definitely a smaller house than the others that they had lived in before in the past eight years. Then again, this seemed to be the first time that she and her parents would be living together without her adoptive grandparents, Abram and Natasha Winters. It was still a mystery why they had decided not to come with them when they moved to Cork, Ireland. When she had asked them the first time, all they really told her was that it was time the three of them lived as a family. That, of course, didn’t make sense to her because they were a coven; and one of the most close knitted covens in the world. They wouldn’t be a family if they were not all together. Even now she missed them despite having seen them only an hour ago.

Clarke kept her ears strained on any conversations or movements from upstairs while she remained downstairs. She continued to wander around; moving from the kitchen to the living room and sometimes going outside to do a couple laps around the yards. At this point she wasn’t really observing her new environment; she was killing time. Right now she was waiting for the right opportunity to interrupt in her parents’ business to ask permission to leave.

For hours she had her pen twirling at impossible breakneck speed just waiting to be used. It was killing her that she had not yet done what she had promised to Dakota when she first left him in Forks. Because of the move, she was a couple days late of her schedule and the longer she was delayed from what she needed to do, the more irritated she was becoming. If she didn’t find a gift shop soon, she would probably do something very stupid.

She was just returning from doing a couple laps around their large backyard when she heard footsteps coming down the stairs. Her ears perked and she felt the edges of her lips twist up in victory. After removing her shoes once again she rushed through the living room—making sure not to move too fast—so that she could meet up with her parents and the real estate agent at the foot of the stairs. The expression on her parents’ faces were as unimpressed as the past few years. The agent, on the other hand, was another story. He seemed to have completely forgotten that she was also in the house, so when he laid his eyes on her his expression went from shock at her speed to a soft admiration as he once again marvelled at her beauty. This was something Clarke was starting to get used to.

“Where can I find the nearest gift shop?!” Clarke asked eagerly, ignoring the looks her parents sent her to focus only on the agent. The man flushed at all the attention he was getting from her and had to take a moment to compose himself before fidgeting through his folder of papers. The rustling of the papers made her all the more impatient and she ended up moving to desperate times.

She focused all of her energy on the human as she tapped into the vibrations he was emitting through his head. The vibrations looked like colorful waves; all coordinated for her to know exactly which one to pinpoint particularly to reach exactly what she wanted. When she was in tune to the right amount of frequency, a smirk appeared. Skip the papers and move straight to your phone, she ordered as she blended her thoughts with his so that he would perceive them as his own. She watched as the man stopped what he was doing abruptly and pulled out his phone.

It did not take long for her parents to figure out what she had done. Her father was the first to react; his expression cold and stern. But Clarke did not focus on this, instead she continued to push the human forward to look faster. Her mother climbed down the last few steps in the time a human would normally blink. At this point neither of her vampire parents cared about keeping their secret from the agent. He wouldn’t remember any of it once he was snapped out of Clarke’s hold on his mind.

“Clarke,” was all her mother said. Although she heard her mother clearly, she never once took her eyes on the human. Her determination to get what she wanted out of him increased the burning in her throat. The blood rushing through the human’s veins was like music to her ears. But she couldn’t focus too much on that now unless she wanted to break the connection. “Clarke,” her mother said again, her tone sharp and threatening while she let out a low growl. Finally, she blinked out of concentration to look over at the beautiful vampire woman standing beside her.

The sound of someone stuttering caused both mother and daughter to look away from each other to turn towards the human. He had a blank expression on his face that only changed to a look of confusion when he noted that Clarke’s mother was no longer standing beside her father and that he had his phone in his hand. “When did you—How did I…?” Clarke’s father immediately looked over at her with another look then in a blink of an eye brought a smile on his face and placed a hand on the man’s shoulder. The human winced at the chilling touch despite wearing a business suit. As Clarke’s father led him back to the kitchen with the excuse that he didn’t look too well due to stress, she and her mother were left alone. Blood rushed up to her cheeks to give it a rose colored tint.

Her gaze remained on the ground while her mother stared at her. The longer the silence went between the two of them, the more nervous she became. Her fluttering heart beat faster to the point that it felt painful to breathe. When she finally chanced looking up, the cold expression on her mother’s face had disappeared as concern replaced it. She must have heard her heartbeat as well. Biting down on her bottom lip gently, Clarke slowly stood straighter and flashed a small smile at her mother. “I’m sorry, Momma...It’s just. It’s the 20th already…” she stuttered.

Just then a hint of a breeze swept into the hallway as her father reappeared; this time without the agent. He took his usual place beside his wife and they both looked down at Clarke with sympathetic eyes. “You know how he gets around this time. I just want him to know that I'm okay,” she continued pleadingly. She saw the contemplation in her parents' faces as they wondered whether it was a good idea to let her out right now. After all, it was technically still day time despite the sun being covered by all the rain clouds in the sky. “Please. I just want to get one postcard so I can be ready to let him know that I'm okay. Abram will be here in a couple hours and I want to make sure I get the post to him as soon as possible. I don't want him to wait another da—”

“Go...” her father said, pulling out a few five euro coins from his pocket. Clarke's eyes brightened as she took them. Hugging the coins to her heart she leaped into her parents' arms and hugged them tightly. Then before the human in the kitchen could walk in and on them, she pulled back and was out the door in seconds.

The great thing about moving to Cork was it was more rural than city. Even if they had their own downtown city area and enough suburban neighborhoods, there were still areas that were covered in green. The house that her parents had bought in this move was a bit of a distance from the nearest neighborhood. With this much seclusion, no one in miles would be able to see Clarke utilize her supernatural—albeit slightly clumsy—abilities to get from her home to the nearest town in minutes.

Stopping just outside the town, Clarke rested against a tree to catch her breath and let her heart calm. As she rested she kept her eyes and ears in alert to take in her environment. She calculated how many humans were around her so that she could prepare for it. She could already feel the burning in her throat. After swallowing the thirst down a few times, Clarke finally straightened up and made her way to the plaza.

There were plenty of eyes watching her as she walked through the parking lot towards the grocery store, Tesco. It wasn't a gift shop, but she was sure that she would be able to find one postcard there. She easily ignored the stares she was getting. After all, she was on a mission.

The stares turned into murmurs when she entered the store. Some people whispered about her unnatural beauty; wondering if she was some supermodel or celebrity. Others questioned why she her clothes and hair were damp. It never occurred to Clarke in her eagerness to grab an umbrella or wear something that would keep her from looking like she had ran in a heavy storm for hours. But to hell with her look and to hell with her audience. Where were the postcards?

“Excuse me,” she called out to the nearest employee, a man looking like he could be in his late teens. He looked up from the box he had in his arms to turn to her. But when his eyes met hers, the contents of the box all came crashing to the floor and shattered and splashed everywhere. Clean up on aisle three. Clarke had to fight the urge to use her abilities to catch the box before it would make a mess, instead opting for taking a cautious step back to dodge getting pickled juice all over her shoes.

Despite the large mess, the employee was still gawking at her. Clarke giggled at this before continuing on. “I was wondering where the postcards were?” she finally said. She watched the words slowly process in the male's head through her facial expressions. When he showed signs that he understood the request, he blinked a few times then finally looked down to see the damage he had made. By this time, a large man that looked to be the manager was storming over to investigate. A fair list of expletives were muttered before he looked up at Clarke again and pointed to the right of him. She merely grinned her appreciation before carrying on. As she walked away, she couldn't help smirking at the confusion of emotions that male was feeling between, as he phrased it, the astonishment of standing in front of a goddess and the fear that he was “so going to get sacked.”

She didn't dare run back home from the store. The Irish rain was coming down a lot harder now and she could not risk getting the postcard she had picked out wet. It needed to be perfect and intact for Dakota. Luckily, she had been smart enough to bring her cellphone with her. So she called her father to come pick her up and gave him the address of the store. As she waited for her father to arrive, she remained in the coffee shop next door with a mug of tea that she left untouched. It didn't take long for him to arrive.

She was beyond excited to get to her room and start writing her letter to Dakota. Her wolf imprinter must be worried and wondering how she was doing and if she was still aging as another year passed in her theorized short life. Although she looked seventeen on the outside, in reality she was only turning eight years old. Being born a hybrid meant that the process of her aging had been quickened. Since conception, she was in her mother's womb for no more than three weeks. After her birth she grew quickly with her mental maturity developing at an even faster rate. Clarke had very clear memories of those first few months after her birth. Not only were her parents worried that she was growing up too fast, but Dakota was as well. Because Clarke was the one that Dakota had imprinted on, her life was connected to his in more ways than one could possibly think. So the thought that her life might not last as long as they all would have liked possibly scared Dakota the most. Clarke could never get herself to think about what would happen to her wolf if she was no longer alive. Even to this day she can't think about it. After all, they were still so uncertain about how she was aging. Abram had hypothesized that, worse case scenario, her life would end at age fifteen.

Everyone was hoping that the hypothesis would be false.

Upon entering the house once again, Clarke's eyes widened when they fell on the large banner that read “HAPPY BIRTHDAY CLARKE!” The entire house had been decorated in sky blue decorations. In the dining room there was a pile of presents that filled every inch of the long dining table. She stood there incredulously as she put together just how quickly her parents must have worked to put all of this together in the short amount of time she had been away.

And then everything started to make sense when she heard footsteps once again and her adoptive grandparents came rushing to meet her. A bright smile appeared on her face as she met Abram and Natasha and practically fell into their embrace. Despite running hotter than the rest of her family, being near them and their cold exterior was never a problem for her. She welcomed her adoptive grandparents into a warm embrace as if she hadn't seem them in centuries and she was beyond thrilled when they returned the feelings. Natasha was already going on about how they had arrived not long after she had left to go to the store and how they went right to work putting up the decorations. The gifts, she was then told, were mainly from the four of them. However, there was a handful from the Quileute tribe back at home. This instantly perked Clarke's interest as she rushed over to the table and read through all the names until she found the one that she was looking for.

Her heart fluttered faster for a split second when she caught Dakota's name, instantly grabbing his gift. Through the wrapping paper she could smell leather. But it wasn't fresh. It had a musty age to it that made her think that this was much older than she thought. Her interest and curiosity perked and she immediately ripped the wrapping paper off to find out what he had gotten her.

She was beaming as she took in the leather bound journal. Her eyes remained on the carving on the cover; feeling the hard work Dakota must have put on it. When she opened it to the first page, her peripheral caught the familiar handwriting that was her imprinter and took in the words he wrote for her. She was falling in love with the journal the longer she held it in her hands. But more importantly, she felt like she was falling in love with the wolf that had her heart unconditionally.

Abram soon came in to interrupt her. When she turned to look at her adoptive grandfather, her lovesick smile disappeared when she took sight of the familiar notebook that held all the notes about her development. Her heart felt like it had dropped to the pit of her stomach as fear suddenly crept in. If Abram had to report that she had shown signs of further development, she was going to hate writing her letter to Dakota.

With a sigh, Clarke clung to Dakota's birthday gift to her and turned to face Abram with her body stretched out to its full height. The examination took only a few minutes as Abram pulled out his measuring tape and quietly scribbled down notes he had in his brilliant mind. Her parents and Natasha stood at a distance with distressed expressions on their faces. They hated this examination as much as Clarke did.

Finally, Abram put away the tape measure and stuck his pen behind his ear. He pondered over his notes for a moment as he analyzed the data he had collected. Clarke sat at one of the chairs from the dining room table, waiting impatiently for the verdict. He was deliberating the results for a long time. That could only mean one thing; he was preparing to give some bad news.

“Fascinating...” Abram muttered suddenly and everyone in the house perked up to listen. A few more quiet minutes passed before he finally looked up with the warmest smile she had ever seen since her birth. “There has been no changes since your seventh birthday. I think it's safe to conclude that you've stopped aging, sweetheart.”

Clarke had to tell Dakota. Now.

October 20, 2006
My dearest Kota,

Top o’ the mornin’ to ya! Or at least that’s what I think people here in Ireland say. That’s what I usually hear in movies. As you can probably tell, I’m in Ireland now! Or should I say again? I have never been to Cork before so I had a hard time finding the most notable thing about this place that I could find on a postcard. One of the store employees at this Tesco told me that Blarney Castle is one of those touristy spots that people need to visit when they're here. I would absolutely LOVE to visit it! You know how much I ADORE castles!

Clarke had to pull out her personalized stationary to continue her letter. She was never good at keeping her letters on just the postcard.

I had an interesting conversation with said employee—her name was Anna, by the way—about this Blarney Castle. Apparently there is this stone where if you kiss it you'll get this thing call the gift of the gab. She joked that this was the reason the Irish are such chatty people~ I think it's adorable! I'm definitely going to persuade Momma and Daddy to take me someday soon. Maybe when Abram and Natasha come visit again.

We've finally moved into our new house. It's a lot smaller than the house back at Forks. It's supposed to be meant for a small family of three; which is us! It's really quaint, but has the such a large front and back yard. I wish you could see it! We would have had so much fun running around all day. There aren't many humans around. Our closest neighbor lives fifteen minutes away from us. I could hear them from my room. It sounds like they have a lot of kids and a lot of animals. It's most likely a farm? I'll definitely check it out and give you an update in a few days.

But enough about me for a moment, how are you doing, my dear Kota? Have you been receiving my letters? Are you eating well? How goes things in La Push? How's Ian and the rest of the pack? Have you traveled anywhere neat recently? How's your grandpa? How's Rebecca? God, I miss you so much. It pains me to still be away from you. And I haven't received a letter from you since we moved. I'm so upset with Abram and Natasha because they forgot to bring me any mail from you when they came to visit.

OH! I ALMOST FORGOT!

Guess what? I HAVE GREAT NEWS!

Are you ready for this? I hope you're sitting down. I'VE STOPPED AGING!

It's true! Abram did his routine examination when he arrived earlier to celebrate my birthday. He said that apart from minor advancements in my brain activity (he says it most likely has to do with the books I've been reading and also because my talents have been developing), I've stopped growing and my features are exactly as they were on my seventh birthday. I stole Abram's notes so that I can give you a copy of them so you can take a look at it yourself!

Do you know what this means, Kota? I can go home soon! Since it's apparent that I've reached full maturity at the appearance of seventeen, getting my papers sorted should be no problem. This is so exciting. I've been waiting eight years to finally get that return plane ticket home to you.

No more fears about my life being short lived. We'll be together for all our eternal lives!

I have to go now. Momma is calling me down for cake, though I don't know why since none of them can eat human food. And I want to get this letter finished quickly so I still have time to send it to the post office. I want this letter and good news to arrive to you as soon as possible.

Missing you more and more everyday, my sweet Dakota.

Yours unconditionally and eternally,
Clarke

P.S. Thank you for the birthday gift. I loved it! The carving is so beautiful. I will be writing in it every day of my thoughts about you.

After rereading what she had written to check for any mistakes, Clarke grabbed one of the yellow envelopes from one of the boxes and carefully stuffed her letter inside. She wrote down the address to her home back in Forks with Dakota's name above it. Her spirits were filled with joy thinking about how she was going to make Dakota so happy with her good news. After all the unsettling dreams she had been having involving her wolf and his pain of being apart from her, she hoped that the prospect of her returning home would be enough to cheer him up.

As she returned downstairs to the celebration—it was more her parents and adoptive grandparents talking in the dining room ignoring the cake—she kept reaching for the bracelet Dakota had given her for their first Christmas together. The bracelet was now too small for her wrist so Natasha had to convert it to a choker which was fine with Clarke for now.

When she finally returned downstairs, she indulged her family with the traditions of blowing out the candles on a birthday cake. However, she did not dig in to eat some; instead looking over at her father one more time. She lifted the envelope she had been holding the entire time and flashed him a pleading smile. She saw him note Dakota's name on the envelope and then let out a sigh as he understood what she wanted. “Just because we're celebrating more than your birthday,” he sighed out as he reached into his pocket for his car keys. Clarke beamed and dashed to the car faster than her hybrid abilities would let her. She didn't even take the time to explain what she was doing to her mother, Abram and Natasha. They already knew. And they could not do anything about it.

DARLING DON'T BE AFRAID I HAVE LOVED YOU tab FOR A THOUSAND YEARS tab I'LL LOVE YOU FOR A THOUSAND MORE
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
tab tab tab tab tab tab tab OOC — n/a

gVTIm2r.png

tab tab tab tab tab tab ( ) ━━ DAKOTA CRESCENT ⋮⋮
KOTA (SPEECH) tab tab tab KOTA (PACK TELEPATHY) tab tab tab OTHERS (SPEECH) tab tab tab OTHERS (PACK TELEPATHY)

ETH5TFt.gif
"I can't wait till we get home so I can see her!!"
"Nathan drop it." Ian's voice was stern and overflowing with authority, but while he spoke to Nathan, his eyes were glued to another male, one sitting across the table from him. He was watching Dakota who in turn had his eyes glued dangerously on Nathan. The room had gone dead silent after that, tension heavy in the air with everyone present too afraid to say anything incase they said the wrong thing.
Nathan was the newest addition to the pack, having first phased just under a year ago. He also happened to have been the most recent to imprint, and he couldn't stop talking about his newfound love. Everyone was happy for him, those who had already imprinted knew what a wonderful feeling it was to have someone so vital to your very existence. And then there was Dakota. Who had imprinted eight years ago to this day, and was the only one there to have had to go through losing his imprintee; the love of his life. Nathan had been struggling to control himself ever since imprinting and everyone in the pack could see what a toll it was taking on their future alpha. When Nathan was in human form he was constantly gushing about his precious Lilly, when he was a wolf his thoughts were clear as day and never stopped.
"Sorry, I forgot...I just miss her so mu--"
Idiot.
There was a bang followed by a crash as first Dakota shoved at the table before him sending it sliding several feet away where it caved from the supernatural force it had to endure, then his chair fell backwards as he jumped to his feet. Ian was quick to follow and moved between the two younger males, "Dakota..."
Had they all been in their wolf forms, Ian could have stopped this with a single command. But they were currently all humans, sitting around a table....previously sitting around a table in a cabin they had found, and Dakota's rage was just as strong if not stronger than Ian's word as alpha. Nathan had led them all into a dangerous situation, a potentially fatal mistake that he'd hopefully learn from this time around.

Nathan too was on his feet now, everyone was actually, and everyone's eyes were trained warily on Dakota, "Kota! Kota hey, shh, Kota..."
That was Kaya's voice, she had placed herself directly in front of him, her hands on his bare chest, her eyes fighting to meet his. Every muscle in Dakota's body had visibly tensed and heat radiated off of him despite his already naturally high body temperature. Kaya was speaking softly to him as her hands left his chest to stroke the side of his face and ran her fingers through his hair. There was a desperate rush to her actions as she tried to reach Dakota whose eyes still lingered on Nathan.
His eyes; they were framed by the heavy shadows left from lack of sleep. A coldness to them that rivaled even the inhuman bloodsuckers they hunted. Anger was obvious, but hidden behind it was eight years of pain. Pain not forgotten by his pack, but they had grown so used to it that most days they didn't give it a second thought. Kaya though, she was always quick to try and wish it away. She looped her thin arms around his neck and pulled him close enough for their foreheads to almost touch.
"Kota..."
She was knowingly putting herself in a very dangerous situation and the entire pack held their breath as they watched for Dakota's reaction. While she had been with them longer than Nathan had, she was still fairly new and hadn't been around to witness when Dakota's entire world shattered before them all. She came afterwards to pick up the pieces of his broken heart. Kaya never quite understood the severity of it all though and seemed convinced that she could fix him everytime. The pack knew better. They knew they could never truly trust Dakota anymore. They would leave their lives in his hands without a second thought. But concerning his tortured self there was no way of telling if he would flip or recover, like right now as they all waited, half expecting him to simply knock Kaya out of the way in his rage. He'd done it before, with just about each member who had ever tried to stop him, so no one would be surprised if he did this time as well.

Each breath Dakota took looked almost painfully heavy with the rise and fall of his exposed chest. His expression still looked ready to attack without warning, but there was an exhaustion setting in that also made him look on the verge of passing out. Sleep didn't come easily for him, always going too long without enough, or sleeping for too long. It was usually fairly randomized, but the month of October always without fail had Dakota running on almost nothing at all.

Kaya caught his eyes falter for a split second and her hands then moved, tracing his face to his neck across his shoulders and down his arms till her hands took his and she took a cautious half step backwards towards the door, "Let's go..."
Her voice was soft, comforting, inviting, calling him towards safety. Safety for all of them. Dakota's eyes finally dropped to her's and she continued to lead him until they stood outside, the cabin door shut and it was just the two of them in the middle of the mountains.
Kaya smiled up at him, once again she'd succeeded in calming Dakota and she was obviously proud over her accomplishment. Dakota still had yet to speak but he freed his hands to wrap his arms around her and pulled her close, silently thanking her for all that she did for him.

"Kota? Dakota!?" It had been almost two weeks since the incident in the cabin. This had been one of the pack's longer stays in one place. They hadn't been home since the beginning of October. They were still camping out in the abandoned cabin as it sat just over top a small town that had been terrorized by vampires as of late. This particular vampire didn't stray far from the center of the town though which made it a little difficult for a pack of wolves to move in for the kill. Which was the only reason they were still out here.

Dakota had finally given into his exhaustion and had passed out on a mattress in what had probably been the equivalent of a guest bedroom back during the cabin’s prime. But as usual, sleep came at a price, and Dakota was thrashing in his sleep, chasing after an unreachable image in his head. It was one thing to toss or talk in his sleep, it was another to be scared for his life or another’s, and Kaya could tell the difference as she shook him awake, ”Kota!”

His eyes flashed open, gasping for air and staring forward at the wall where just a split second ago he’d been staring instead after a little blonde girl with blood red eyes.
”Clarke--” Her name escaped his lips, riding out on an exhale and likely would have gone unnoticed had Kaya been a normal human being. As it were she sighed sadly, still praying for the day Dakota would be freed from this girl trapped in his heart, mind, memory, soul and very existence. Clearly she was never coming back no matter how diligently they stayed in contact. Why couldn’t Dakota see that? Or see how much she hated to watch him suffer over his lost love.

She ran her hand through his hair like before, giving him a moment to catch his breath and adjust to being awake.
”Hey, Ian’s ready to head out.”
”What?” He’d heard her, it was just that her words slipped through his mind unprocessed or understood.
Dakota pushed himself upright now, still shirtless as he’d been for most of this trip; it was just easier that way. He looked towards Kaya who was now sitting beside him on the edge of the mattress.
”They got the vampire this morning but Ian said to let you sleep.” A scoff from Dakota had her quickly speaking again, ”You needed it Dakota. How do you expect to get back home if you’re too tired to even walk let alone phase?”
Dakota didn’t seem impressed and it was his turn now to run his hand through his own hair as he sighed. He was growing tired of this endless cycle and often found himself wondering what would happen if he stopped fighting through it everyday. More than once Kaya had caught those thoughts of his and would be quick to scold and remind him of what he still had to live for. Even if the one single thing he had to look forward to was a piece of paper traveled across the ocean from the very girl who haunted his dreams.

”Hey...”
He looked back to Kaya, not realizing that he’d even looked away.. Her fingers were under his chin, tilting his head up to her level as she closed the distance between them until her lips touched his. Dakota didn’t move away. Maybe he was still too tired to react or possibly he was in shock, but then he was leaning into her kiss and the two lose themselves in the moment until a howl from outside broke them apart. Ian was calling, it was time to go. Dakota’s eyes danced across Kaya’s face, the confusion obvious on his own. He’d never had any sort of romantic feelings for Kaya and that remained unchanged. But it didn’t feel ”wrong” to be here with her either.
”Kaya, I--”
”C’mon silly, let’s go home.”
Home, he hadn’t been since the beginning of October when he’d sent Clarke’s birthday present plenty in advance to ensure that it would reach her on time. It was November now and he’d gone this entire time without a single letter. No pieces of paper to give meaning to his life. He didn’t even know if his Clarke was still alive. She was destined to live a short life, and over the past eight years it had been literally killing him everyday he couldn’t see her. Everyday she grew closer to the end of her short, unnatural life. Would they even tell him when she died? Or would the letters just stop and he’d be left forever wondering what had happened. If she was on her death bed would they allow him to come say goodbye, for the second time? Dakota had so many unanswered questions swimming around in his head and they were drawing out a heat from him the longer he thought of the vampire side of his family. They were family now, right? If Clarke was his, and they were her’s, that made Christian and Sarah part of his family. At that moment he wanted nothing more than to rip the heads off their cold, dead, bloodthirsty bodies--
”Kota!”
Again Kaya interrupted his thoughts, perhaps sensing the anger growing within him. She took his hands and got to her feet, pulling him up with her. She still held his hand as they left the room, then the cabin to go join the pack outside.

The two of them phased, their recent thoughts an open book for everyone present to see, hear, think, feel. Dakota was in a dark, dark place and Ian almost visibly winced at the amount of pain his future successor was going through. He was so angry. At the vampires, at the wolves, at himself...no one was safe from Dakota’s wrath. Well, maybe there was one person, but she was dead. Clarke was dead and he’d kissed Kaya. No, she’d kissed him. But it was fairly mutual, she loved him. He didn’t love her.

No wonder you guys took so long.
Nathan never stopped, did he? Kota snarled, his body language clearly sending every warning in the book to the newer wolf that now was most definitely not the time to be messing with him.
Did you get any sleep?
Yeah I’m fine, let’s just go.
Home: he really wasn’t ready for his worst fears to come true. Kaya nudged him and again he leaned back into her comforting presence. Ian eyed Kaya, his disapproving thoughts available for them all to hear before he took off, leading his pack back home to La Push.

Forks was technically closer along the way home, but Dakota stayed with the pack all the way back to the reservation. They were all aware of his internal struggle over desperately wanting to go to Clarke’s house but being too scared at what might be waiting for him. Thankfully though, this time no one mentioned it and so he was left to his thoughts all the way back till he sat on his own bed in his room. He had changed into clean clothes and now found himself staring at his wall of postcards. It wasn’t all of them, not even close. He had almost eight years worth after all, most of which lived in an army of shoeboxes in his closet. And now, now he was to go collect the very last one.

When had he gone from anxiety and uncertainty to assuming that Clarke had died!? Kaya’s voice resonated in his thoughts as he recalled her scoldings from earlier, ”Every year you convince yourself that it’s her last. But Kota, at this rate she’s going to be the one receiving a notice of death in the mail, YOUR death.”

Death. It had always been a bit of a mysterious subject for Dakota. Growing up he had a hard time grasping the concept. His parents had both died when he was young, too young to even realize they were gone. Whenever a member of the tribe died they were given back to the Earth, and so they were never really gone. When Clarke’s mother Sarah had died he had been too focused on his mission to give her much thought. She was gone, but he had moved on at lightning speed as he had an infant to kill. Kill. Death. Clarke should have died by his hands that night. But she was saved by his imprinting and so once again death escaped his thoughts, though only briefly. Clarke grew too fast, she would be an adult in half the time, and then would die in half the time as well. Then they took her from him and the thought of her death crossed his mind almost on the daily. When he wasn’t thinking about her impending death he was contemplating his own. What was it like to die? Would it hurt? Would he be missed? Suddenly death went from nothing to everything for Dakota, and it terrified him.

”Dakota?”
He jumped at a knock on his door, not realizing how distracted he’d been, ”Yeah?”
The door opened and his grandfather, Thom, stood in the doorway, ”There’s food in the fridge if you’re hungry right now.”
Dakota shook his head and looked away from his grandfather at that point. He didn’t have much of an appetite as of late, ”Okay, well the council is calling a meeting tonight, make sure you attend, alright?”
Dakota’s silence was mutually understood as agreement and so Thom left his ever brooding grandson and shut the door behind him. Dakota was infamous for skipping council meetings. But he could only stand so much pressure from the tribe at once. Everyone was just waiting for him to take his rightful place as Alpha.
Dakota let out a sigh as he fell back in his bed and rolled over onto his side, his hand clenched into a fist around his sheet as his frustrations ate away inside of him.

”I was beginning to think you had died.”
Dakota was outside of the Winters’ old residence now, his back leaning against his 1986 Toyota Corolla hatchback. It was a Twin Cam 16 GT-S but that didn’t matter much right now as his eyes were locked dangerously on the vampire approaching him. Even in his human form the smell was overwhelming and all of his instincts screamed at him to kill the bloodsucker right then and there.
”You certainly look like you did.”
And suddenly Dakota was all too aware of how vulnerable he was at that moment. He hadn’t slept, or even eaten. Dakota had lost weight over the month he’d been gone and it showed.
”I’m surprised you can even stand right now.”
”Yeah save it Batty. Do you have them or not?”
Teresa didn’t look impressed with the name calling but held out a bundle of letters held together by twine. He hesitated to take them from her, but once safe in his hands he wanted nothing but to phase and run as far away from there as he could. But part of the whole agreement with Teresa was that he could always come alone and in human form. Though what would that matter now? One of the letters in his hand would tell him Clarke had died and so he’d never seen Teresa again.

There were no spoken farewells between them, vampire and wolf just turned to both go their separate ways. Dakota tossed Clarke’s letters onto the passenger seat before shifting into first gear and getting the hell out of there.
He drove all the way back to La Push, parking at a spot overlooking the beach and killing the engine before finally turning to look at the letters beside him. His heart was racing as he picked them up with trembling hands. Untying the twine he thumbed through the assortment of postcards and envelopes all addressed to him. Dakota was instantly hit with a pang of regret for having not come sooner. Clarke had gone almost an entire month without hearing from him but she never failed to write to him.

Normally Dakota read her letters chronologically, but this time he couldn’t stop himself from tearing into the envelope with the most recent postage date.
She was worried about him, and asked if he’d received her letter. The next two were similar. What was this letter she kept mentioning? For the first time in a long time, death escaped his subconscious as he now rushed to locate the letter she kept asking about. He found a postcard dated on her birthday with an accompanying envelope. This one was particularly thick as though there was more than just a letter inside.

Top o’ the mornin’ to ya!

What? Had she lost her mind in his absence? Dakota read on, her enthusiasm and general over excitement was infectious and a smile slowly slipped across his face. Ireland huh? He was moving onto the letter now and had to fight his curiosity to not skip to the additional papers she’d sent. He’d always loved how she tried to share snippets of her life with him. He couldn’t experience her growing up, but in a way he had though reading her letters.

She had turned the subject to him now and Dakota felt awful for not writing all this time. She was have been so worried without hearing from him and he had no excuse. Sure he had been on the road tracking vampires with the pack, but if he’d really wanted to he could have run home to send a letter. Just a simple explanation for his lack of contact. But no, he hadn’t even been able to do that for her. And so he was the cause of her worries. His grip on the paper tightened as his anger with himself rose up. There were crinkles in it now as he read on. He didn’t get far however as the next couple lines stopped his heart and breath and all he could do was stare down at Clarke’s perfect handwriting in disbelief. Was this real? Had he read that correctly? Just in case he reread it, and again, and again. Clarke had stopped aging, and there were no words strong enough to describe the relief that took over him. Dakota couldn’t concentrate on the rest of her letter and he turned his attention to the pages of Abram’s notes. He couldn’t make heads or tails of most of it other than the words “no physical changes” which had been underlined and circled twice.
So she was safe. Clarke was safe and she wouldn’t die, in fact she was returning home to him. There was a tapping at his window and Dakota broke away from Clarke’s letter to see Kaya’s concerned expression outside his car.
How or why she was there didn’t even cross his mind. Dakota didn’t stop for a second to consider that she must have followed him ever since they had returned to La Push. The only thing on Dakota’s mind now was Clarke. He opened his car door and lung his arms around Kaya, lifting her up and spinning once before he set her back down, he still held her close, ”She’s alive,” he finally breathed, smiling so loud you could hear it in his voice, ”Clarke is alive.”

WITHOUT YOU I WOULD FALL APART tab I'M SAFE WHEN I AM IN YOUR ARMS tab AND ONLY YOU CAN SET ME FREE tab AND ONLY YOU CAN SAVE ME
tab tab tab tab tab tab tab OOC — ooc comment here

sxUU3Wv.png

rosie-tupper-gif-7.gif
A breeze passed through the living room area as Clarke rushed to catch up with her mother. “I want to go home!” she cried out impatiently. She managed to catch up with her mother at the top of the stairs. Ignoring the obvious signs of annoyance on the woman's face, she pushed forward. “I've stopped aging three years ago! There is absolutely no reason for us to remain in Sutherland anymore! We've passed the reign of fire now. The Volturi still do not know of my existence and they never will. I'm mentally mature enough to pass off as fifteen the youngest. And if that's a problem, you just continue to homeschool me! But please, let me go back home to Kota!” Tears welled up in her pale blue eyes.

It wasn't fair. Her mother sacrificed everything to be able to stay with her father for forever. Why was she not allowed to do the same thing? They already took her away from Dakota against her better wishes, why are they keeping her away from him when they didn't need to? It was angering her that no one, not even Natasha, was backing her up on her pleas. No amount of begging and tears would sway them to change their minds.

It was killing her that she couldn't keep up her promise to him. She hated letting him down.

The large room was filled with scraps of Clarke's personal stationary as she attempted to draft an appropriate Valentine's Day letter for her Dakota. She had been writing him letters for fifteen years. By now she should have been a master at it. Nowadays, she feared that she was repeating herself. But she didn't want to stop her consistency. She didn't want Dakota to think that she did not love him anymore....Not that he knew she loved him the way he obviously did for her. She was saving those words for the day that she was finally in his arms again.

But that still left her with little words to write down that she didn't think she had written before. The longer she kept at this, the more frustrated she became. However, this frustration wasn't on herself; it was on her parents. She shouldn't be awake at three in the morning working on a Valentine's Day letter almost three weeks in advance. She should be back at Forks and have been back at Forks for the past eight years. Why were her parents keeping her away from Dakota?

Letting out a deep sigh, Clarke crumpled yet another piece of her personal stationary and started again.

January 23, 2014
My dearest Kota,

I'm hoping that by the time this letter reaches your hands, you'll be back in La Push in time to appreciate it. It would feel rather awkward to read a three week early Valentine's Day letter after the actual holiday. At least, I think it would seem awkward. I haven't heard from you since December so I assume you're on an assignment with the pack again. But hopefully, you'll be able to make it back in time to read this letter?

But back to the purpose of this letter. Happy Valentine's Day, love! Please forgive me for the oversized package that will be accompanied with this letter. My parents and I moved back to Scotland to live with our cousins in Sutherland and I went a little crazy while shopping. There are just so many wonderful things here and I couldn't pick just one to buy for you. So I got all of it. I made sure to skip out on the clothes though—even though I can picture you looking absolutely dashing in a lot of them. Natasha reasoned that it might not be worth it in the end if you ended up ripping it to shreds when phasing. She's right, I suppose. But eventually I'll just give in and stock up on everything clothing that makes me think of you.

I hope that it's okay that I included a Valentine's Day greeting card instead of a postcard. I've been to Sutherland so many times in the past fifteen years, I think I may have bought all the postcards Scotland could have manufactured. Although I should try to find one more for old time's sake. I believe that my family and I won't be moving around anymore now that my age and my appearance are about the same.

A soft knock on the door disrupted her thoughts. She jumped as her door opened and her father peeked his head into her room. He took in the light from her desk lamp and the mess of crumpled stationary all over her floor and frowned. “Clarke, it's three in the morning. You have school,” he stated in a low whisper. Behind him, Clarke could pick up the sudden silence from downstairs in the living room. Apparently the family wasn't expecting her to be awake at this time.

Clarke merely turned her head towards the large opened brown box at the foot of her bed that was currently overflowing with items that she was going to send Dakota. “I'm almost done, Daddy. I just want to finish this letter so I can drop this off before school....” There was pleading in her tone that she knew her father could pick up.

Now that my family and I are finally all situated here in Sutherland, I'm going to be starting school soon. Our Sutherland cousins have registered me prior to moving so I can start going as soon as possible. I'll be attending the private academy that my cousin, Rachel, is currently attending. Yes, I know you're probably thinking it, I will be required to wear a uniform. I tried it on yesterday and I felt like I was going to Hogwarts or something; just without the cloak they usually wear. I will include a picture of it that Natasha took earlier with this letter.

I'm so nervous to start my first day since I've been homeschooled all my life. I have no expectations of what people at this academy will be like. Most of what I know of going to a school is from your own letters and what my cousin has told me. Wish me luck!

I hope that you're doing well, love. Has Rebecca been feeding you and the rest of the pack well? I got a letter from her recently telling me that she and Ian finally got married. I'm so happy for them! Was their wedding amazing? Did she look stunning? Was she wearing a wedding dress? I don't know how Quileute weddings are celebrated, but I'd like to think that she wore a beautiful wedding dress that had Ian's jaw on the floor. I also hope that you and the rest of the pack were wearing clothes haha!

Overall, how are you? Have you been sleeping well? Are you keeping yourself healthy and strong? Are you doing well with the rest of the pack? How's your grandpa? Your grandma?

Please be sure to take good care of yourself, okay? I worry about you everyday. I like to think that you're eating well and getting enough sleep and staying out of trouble; or at least as much trouble as allowed to you. When I return to La Push, you better be as big and strong as when I left. I will expect nothing less!

I miss you so much. More and more every day. I hope you know that and that you haven't lost hope in us. I know I promised so long ago that I would be coming home to you now that I'm full grown. I plan to keep my promise. One day my parents will finally allow me to come back. I will never believe them when they tell me this place is our home now. Home is nowhere for me without you in it.

I don't want to leave this letter at such a dampening mood. This is supposed to be a Valentine's Day gift after all! So, let's see. How to end this letter in a lighter mood....

Oh, I know! I can't believe I didn't mention this earlier. Silly me!

Daddy is teaching me how to compose music on the piano now. Right now I'm working on my first piece, and I'm dedicating it to you. After all, you're my muse no matter how far away you are from me. Once I finish it, I will make sure to send a copy to you. I will not play it for anyone until you have listened to it. I should be done with it soon. I'm very excited about my progress.

Well, I'll leave this letter on that note. I would keep writing, but I doubt your pack will give you enough time to read a novel if I did so~

Please write to me soon. I want to hear about what you've been up to and how your assignment went. Also extend my greetings to your grandpa and my wishes that he is still as healthy as a wolf. See what I did there?

Faithfully and eternally yours,
Clarke

A roar of applause deafened Clarke's ears when her name was called. A bright smile spread on her lips as she stood up from her seat to walk to the stage. Her eyes fell on her family, clear as day from where they were sitting. Her parents were beaming while holding each other. Abram was composed as ever with a proud smile on his while while Natasha was in tears as she snapped nonstop photos on the camera in her hands. Their cousins from Sutherland were they too, clapping the loudest out of everyone. When she got closer to the headmaster, her smile widened to a grin. As she took hold of the rolled up diploma, she took note of the sudden quickening of the headmaster's heartbeat when he gazed upon her. A year and a half at the academy and no one was accustomed to her looks enough to not be affected by it. It was a shame that she was able to graduate a year early. Now they were never going to get used to it.

Once the graduation ceremony was over, Clarke went straight to her family. It was not hard to find them. Even without supernatural senses, finding the most beautiful people was never a problem.

Standing off to the side away from as many humans as possible without making too much of a scene, her family eagerly cheered as Clarke finally appeared. Flashes of white light blinded her and their cheers were all that she could hear. In no time she was surrounded by the cold bodies of her loved ones, all of them congratulating her. Everyone spoke at once and she found it hard to catch on to what they were all saying.

Her attention was soon averted away from her family when she heard a familiar voice call out her name. She turned to find Dillan running over to her with their friends following behind him. When his eyes met hers, she felt his heart skip a beat then race. For a split second, the smile that had been on her face faltered. She felt sorry for the human. He had been in love with her since her first day at the academy, but there was no way she could ever return the affections. He and everyone they were friends with knew that she had room for only one man in her heart and that was never going to change no matter who tried. By the time he was in full view of her, Clarke's smile was back on her face to hide everything that she knew.

She was soon pulled in close for group photos. Before she knew it, her family and the families of her friends were surrounding them and snapping photos. The whole time she posed and smiled for the cameras, she couldn't help taking note of Dillan's demeanor the whole time he had his arms around her. The longer that they remained in this position, the more she could sense the effect it was having on him. She really needed to do something about it before the party.

“Dillan, can we talk outside for a moment?” she asked once all the photos were taken. Dillan looked down at her for a second then agreed. She led the way out of the hall towards the garden.

There were plenty of families taking pictures with their recent graduates, but there was also enough privacy for the both of them to talk. Clarke could sense how nervous Dillan was becoming the longer she failed to speak and he compensated for it by rambling about how excited he was that they had graduated and that they would all be going to university soon; at least, he and their friends were. Clarke could not get herself to make those kinds of commitments without first fulfilling her promise to Dakota.

“What are your feelings for me?” Clarke finally asked now that they were a safe distance away from anyone eavesdropping on them.

This caught Dillan very off guard. He looked down at her with a panicked expression. She could sense that he was attempting to go through the list of their friends that could have told her about his feelings. He was going to find no one. After a long pause, he let out a defeated sigh and slouched her shoulders. “I like you a lot, Clarke. In fact, I can probably say that I'm even in love with you. I have been since the first time we met. You do something to me, you know? And it upsets me that you can never give me a chance because you're so attached to this Dakota guy.” Before he could talk any further, Clarke successfully pulled at the brainwaves giving him this ability to speak his feelings and connected them to her. You will no longer have these feelings for me. You will move on from me. You must move on from me. You will never go anywhere if you hold on to the hope that someday, I will change my mind and choose you. It won't happen. It will never happen. Clarke disconnected from his thoughts and watched as his glazed over expression changed with a blink.

“Uh, s-sorry. Must have blanked for a moment. What were we talking about?” Clarke merely smiled and suggested that they go back to their friends.

When she got home with her family, they all went straight to the dining room where the table was filled with graduation presents. As always, she went straight for Dakota's gift. She spent a long time reading his letter and masking the fact that she would kill for him to be with her right now. Her family already knew how desperately she wanted to be with him; she didn't want to give them the luxury of seeing it on her face. She had shed enough tears for them to understand. After she finished reading the letter and opening his gift, she kept them in her arms while she opened the rest of the gifts. The only time she let go of them was so that she and her family could go hunt.

Clarke was standing in front of her life-sized mirror straightening out her outfit for Dillan's going away party. She was just finishing up her hair when she heard footsteps coming to her door. She paused to wait for the knock. It didn't come. Instead her parents opened the door and stepped inside. The expressions on their faces told her that she should stop whatever she was doing to listen to them.

There was a pause in her mother's train of thought when she took in what Clarke was wearing. It was probably dawning on her how quickly sixteen years seemed to have flown by. Unfortunately, Clarke didn't feel the same way. But it didn't seem the right time to point that out.

“We wanted to give you your birthday present a little early,” her father said as he pulled out a large envelope from behind his back. Confusion crossed her face as she slowly came closer to take the envelope. As she ripped open the envelope, she took note of the change of expression on her parents' faces. The closer she got to the contents of the gift, the more saddened they became. She questioned what could possibly make her parents look so heartbroken until her hands reached inside and pulled out the contents.

The first thing that she saw was a U.S. passport. When she looked inside, there was a recent picture of her and her true birthday. She looked up at her parents briefly with confusion before moving on to the next part. The next gift was in a smaller envelope. After she ripped that open, her eyes took in a sight that she just could not believe even if they were in her hands.

She stared in disbelief at the piece of paper in her hands. There, staring back up at her, was a plane ticket to Seattle with a connecting flight ticket to Forks to leave on October first. That was exactly a month from now. It was finally happening.

“But...how...” Clarke stuttered out. Her parents explained that they, Abram and Natasha had been talking it over for months now and they agreed that they would allow her to return to Forks. Apparently they had spoken to their cousin Teresa, who was currently house sitting their house in Forks. They had all agreed that so long as she kept a close eye on Clarke and gave them updates, she could go back.

Dakota was not once mentioned for the obvious reason that despite him imprinting on her, her family and his pack still could not get along passed the treaty they had made decades ago. Not even her mother, who had grown up with Dakota, could dare speak about him in front of her father.

But that didn't matter to her. Her excitement made her leap into her parents' arms; an act that would have knocked them all to the ground had they not been vampires. A flood of thank yous escaped her without faltering. There were just not enough words to express how happy she was to finally be going home. But she knew that she had to find some to be able to tell Dakota.

September 3, 2015
My dearest Kota,

For the first time in sixteen years, I'm going to keep this letter short and sweet.

By the time you read this letter I will most likely be on a plane back to Forks. That’s right, I’m finally going home! The past nine torturous years will at last mean something! I’m beyond thrilled! Excited! Overjoyed! Ecstatic! There are just too many emotions to feel to be coming home.

My parents heard from Aunt Teresa that you're currently out of state with the pack right now, but I hope that you'll be home in time to pick me up from the airport. But I won't expect you to be there since you're with the pack. It would just be nice if you were. I'll add my itinerary to this letter for your convenience.

See you soon, love!

Forever yours,
Clarke

After more than twelve hours riding on planes, Clarke took her first step back into familiar ground. Forks. It was around ten in the morning when her flight from Seattle landed. There was not that many people currently at the airport aside from a few businessmen, so she was able to make her way to the exit without much of a struggle. The one detour she had to take though was to baggage claim where she needed to collect four large suitcases and two large boxes and have airport staff help her. As she led the way with her carry on suitcase, her eyes were darting everywhere for any sign of Dakota. She kept to her promise of not expecting him to be there, but she still couldn't help hoping. Her search for Dakota was cut short when a tall woman with pale skin and long blonde hair practically glided to meet her. “Aunt Teresa!” she cried out excitedly and went to meet her.

They could not stop talking as they stood back and watched the airport staff carry all the luggage into the pickup truck her aunt rented. Once everything was put inside, her aunt gave a tip to the staff then the both of them climbed in and left the airport.

“Have you called your parents yet?” Aunt Teresa asked as they pulled into the freeway. Clarke nodded that she had and explained that she had done so when she landed at Seattle. Her aunt then pulled out a cellphone from her pocket and told her to call them again to let them know that she arrived at Forks. She did just that and ended up talking on the phone with her family the entire drive back. By the time she hung up the phone, she noticed instantly that they were not going back to the house.

Her Aunt Teresa pulled up to the side of the road where the border between her family and La Push was located. When she got out of the car, the distant sound of an old car engine was growing closer. As another truck turned the corner her eyes brightened at the sight of Rebecca behind the wheel. And once the woman pulled up on her side of the border, Clarke wasted no time expressing her joy at seeing her again.

Once some of her things had been moved to the other truck—her aunt would keep some at the house—Clarke said her goodbyes to her aunt with the promise that she'll come visit soon. The female vampire exchanged her own farewells then sped off back to the house without another word. When the truck was out of sight, she went to the passenger side of Rebecca's truck so they can go to the reservation.

“We'll keep your things in the truck for the time being. The pack isn't back yet to help move them, and Thom and Karol are out fishing with the other council members.” Clarke nodded in acknowledgment as she stepped out of the truck and followed behind Rebecca towards hers and Ian's house. It was just as small and cozy as she had remembered it though there were obvious signs of marriage life in every possible corner. “Make yourself at home. Would you like me to make you something to eat?” Clarke shook her head at the offer, but asked for tea to help calm her nerves.

The tea did little for her nerves. She had been waiting for some time now at Ian and Rebecca's house, but there was still no sign that the pack had returned. While she waited, however, Dakota's grandparents had dropped by to greet her and commented that they would be seeing her home later. After that she spent much of her time talking with Rebecca and helping her out around the house as much as possible. She even helped out with cooking a feast for the pack for when they returned from their trip.

With dinner for the pack now finished and kept warm at Ian's house, Clarke and Rebecca decided to get out of the house for a bit to take a walk around the reservation. It was a good thing too since prior to that she had been busy chopping onions and her hypersensitive supernatural senses were making her eyes water more than they already were at the thought of seeing Dakota again. The fresh air was doing her some good. The smell of the earth around her was soothing and the peace and quiet was welcoming. They had been walking and talking for a little less than an hour when she caught his scent. It was stronger than she was used to considering any trace of his scent that she had was from her memories and his letters.

They were just outside Ian and Rebecca's house now when Clarke heard quickened footsteps coming closer to them. She immediately turned and came face to face with the one person she could only see having forever with.

Instantly, a smile appeared on her lips. “I told you I'd keep my promise.”

DARLING DON'T BE AFRAID I HAVE LOVED YOU tab FOR A THOUSAND YEARS tab I'LL LOVE YOU FOR A THOUSAND MORE

gVTIm2r.png

KOTA (SPEECH) tab tab tab KOTA (PACK TELEPATHY) tab tab tab OTHERS (SPEECH) tab tab tab OTHERS (PACK TELEPATHY)

ETH5TFt.gif
The fire burned high, huge sturdy logs arranged in a large circle around it with people sitting shoulder to shoulder. Smiles on their faces, food and drink in hand. Tonight was a night of partying, a night fir the entire Quileute tribe to come together to celebrate the union of Ian Quinault and Rebecca Rayne. The happy couple was currently dancing around the fire, a few of the guys sat on the side with their drums and flues. Little Scout watched on in awe, clapping along with the steady beat. Kale and Kaya were laughing together on a log, sharing a plate of food and enjoying their twinness. The rest of the tribe were all partaking in similar fun activities, happiness radiating on the beach surrounding their bonfire.
And then there was Dakota Crescent. He sat on a log amongst the circle, but by himself, his drink nestled into the sand at his feet while his eyes panned across the scene before him. He'd been watching Ian and Rebecca for quite some time now, but just moments ago something, or rather someone else had caught his attention. Dakota's dark brown eyes had locked on Nathan and Lilly sitting on the other side on the fire, their hands all over each other, clearly not paying any attention to the wedding party.

"Hey Cress!" No response from Dakota, but the voice got closer and tried again, "Dakota!"
He finally looked up to see August Poole beaming ear to ear. August had long been a fanboy of the pack, eagerly awaiting the day he could hopefully join their ranks. But he had been adopted from a neighboring tribe. No one knew if his lineage traced back to Quileute so there was no telling if he would ever be able to phase. But the boy could dream. He noisily sat beside Dakota and took a sip of his drink before speaking, "So are you excited?!"
"For what?" Dakota was clearly not on the same wavelength as August.
"To be alpha of course!"
Dakota's eyes flickered back up to Ian and Rebecca at the mention. Alpha? That was the last thing he wanted, and while the pack understood why, the tribe as a whole had never been formally told that he had no intention to ever lead them. As far as August and the others' knew, Dakota had been waiting to take Ian's place when Ian stepped down. Not that Ian had been covering for him all these years. But with Ian getting married, where did that leave Dakota now?
"It's about time, you've been waiting so long for this!"
Had he? Dakota was pretty sure he'd been dreading this day. When he'd first phased roughly eighteen years ago he'd been asked to take alpha; he was told it was his birthright. But he had refused, initially out of fear and Ian had been understanding that he'd just phased and had a lot to get used to. But when next asked he had already imprinted, and on a hybrid of all. Dakota couldn't bring himself to lead a pack whose very purpose it was to hunt and kill her and her kind. It was complicated and now eighteen years later he still wasn't ready to play alpha to the pack.

Not having a proper response for the younger boy, Dakota wordlessly reached for the glass bottle at his feet to take a drink. He was watching Kaya now. How she laughed with her twin brother. How at ease she looked here amongst her family. How happy she was in this very moment. Was Clarke laughing with someone? Was she settled somewhere nice with her family? ...was she happy?
Kaya looked over in that moment and met his eyes from across the bonfire. At first she smiled at him, but her expression faltered when he didn't return a smile back towards her. She knew that look on his face all too well. Dakota was thinking about her. The music picked up and Kaya got to her feet. She knew the steps to this dance with Dakota all too well. He would be fine one minute and then his mind would wander with him the next, getting him lost in his thoughts and pushing him to his limits till he was tiptoeing on the edge of a cliff in his head. If he fell it would be awfully hard to climb back up, and so Kaya knew her role in this and she moved quickly to go pull him back on solid ground.

Kaya always tried her best. She would go above and beyond for Dakota, but this time she'd noticed too late to prevent the damage. August had spoken again, said something that didn't sit well with Dakota and the wolf in him was quick to show it. He had thrown his drink to the ground and it shattered against a rock. Dakota was on his feet standing threateningly tall over poor August. The drums were still pounding as the party carried on, currently unaware of Dakota's outburst. The pack on the other hand were all on high alert, ready to intervene at any second. But any second wasn't fast enough as Dakota's fists were trembling at his sides. Whatever it was August had said to him, the boy would be sure to never forget his mistake. Dakota's fingers got at close as brushing against the collar of August's shirt before a figure appeared between them, his hand hand pushing back on Dakota's chest, his other pushing August further out of reach.
"Don't touch me." Dakota spoke through gritted teeth as he glared down the older man who had dared to step between the wolf and his victim. Shawn Mora, one of the only beings unafraid of Dakota's temper. He calmly stood his ground just as he had all those years ago when Dakota was still new to phasing and when he had his heart ripped from year the year after. Shawn had been there with him through it all. The only difference now was that Shawn had given up phasing, and age was starting to catch up with him.
"You need to calm down, now."
He took a half step closer but Dakota matched him, taking the threat head on. By now Kaya was at his side and reached to touch his arm only for Dakota to pull free, never taking his eyes off Shawn. Ian watched from his place with Rebecca on the other side of the fire, even Nathan had turned his imprinted attention to watch Dakota carefully. There was more at stake here than when Dakota lost it with the pack. The pack could take it, but if Dakota were to lose control and phase here in front of the entire tribe, there was no telling how that would end.

By now the tribe members sitting closest were noticing the stand off. Kaya tried once more to reach him but Dakota escalated to shoving her away. A mixture of shock and hurt crossed her face at Dakota's reaction. She moved to try again but a stern look from Shawn stopped her on the spot, "Dakota stand down."
Ian was beginning to leave Rebecca to walk over and so Shawn acted quickly to try and avoid from this erupting into a scene that would forever go down in history and memory as the wedding party crashed by wolves. Shawn grabbed Dakota's shoulder and pushed him towards the outside of the circle, "Let's go."
Dakota was unnaturally hot to his touch, but it didn't surprise Shawn in the slightest as he escorted the ever resistant wolf out and continued to walk slightly behind him down along the beach. Dakota still shook, the rage ever present and unreleased. Shawn wouldn't ask what had upset him so, he didn't need to. With Dakota he always knew the possible triggers. He was used to it and was actually pleasantly surprised at how easy it had been to evacuate the time bomb that was Dakota Crescent. Sure he had yet to calm down, but compared to the past when he would be completely unresponsive to their attempts at reaching him, or when he would lose control and phase on the spot; unable to change back for hours after. This had been a success in Shawn's book.

They walked in silence for a good ways. Dakota was too busy wrestling with his thoughts and Shawn had nothing to say. He knew exactly what this was about. It wasn't like he needed to play mediator between two teenagers who had a dispute. Shawn wasn't here to correct or scold Dakota for his actions, he was an adult by now; despite appearances and personality. Shawn's sole purpose right now was just to stay with Dakota till he calmed down enough to not be a threat to everyone on the beach. That was truly the difference between his and Kaya's approaches: Shawn usually opted to let Dakota go through all his emotions and work it out himself. Kaya would try to control and reassure him, but her method just stored all his anger away till next time and it would slowly build till he completely lost control. Shawn could recall a few times early on when Ian even had t step in as alpha and put Dakota in his place. That hadn't been necessary for a long time, but Shawn had recently wondered whether Dakota would ever fully recover from his loss. Eight years ago Dakota had seemed almost optimistically at ease with the knowledge that his imprintee Clarke was still living and even had plans to return home to Forks, Washington. But fast forward till now and she was still teasing him with letters of love and longing. Shawn had never been a fan of Clarke as he was very adamantly against vampires, but he tolerated her for Dakota's sake. Now though, after watching her torture him for sixteen years he was having difficulty accepting her and had often wished she would just stop writing and leave Dakota to mourn his loss rather than constantly stringing his hopes along for a cruel and torturous ride. Suddenly Dakota stopped and so Shawn did as well, "You good?"
Shawn examined Dakota's body language from head to toe as he spoke. It wasn't that he didn't trust Dakota's words, what he didn't trust was the wolf inside him and Shawn wouldn't risk returning with the rage still burning within.
"Yeah I'm fine."

Upon returning to the bonfire Kaya was quick to leave her brother and fell into place at Dakota's side, her arms wrapping around his as she leaned against him ever so slightly, "Are you hungry?"
She didn't mention his previous outburst, she had learned first hand not to. As she led him away from the center of the party and towards the food, Dakota's eyes met Ian's and they shared a silence moment across the bonfire. While the pack could only speak in wolf form, the connection between them all was so strong that often times words weren't necessary. Ian gave a brief nod of his head, acknowledging that all was well now and returned his physical attention back to his new bride, though his mind was still distracted by the incident. Shawn had saved them from disaster tonight, but it was more like he'd postponed the inevitable. Ian had never harbored the same ill feelings towards Clarke Winters. But he still grew frustrated watching Dakota get tossed around. Raising his hopes and stretching his patience till it snapped and he'd break down, only to pull himself together with her next batch of letters as her hold on him took over and washed the pain away even if only for a moment. This endless cycle was, well, endless. and even Ian had grown tired of it. He felt for the destined couple, he truly did. But he was the one who had to deal with Dakota and watch him continue to deteriorate and spin out of control. The question was ever present in the back of Ian's thoughts, would there come a day that they would be unable to pull Dakota back? Would they lose him? Dakota's heart had been running on empty for too long and Ian had his doubts that the younger wolf could survive another year of this.

The pack left the next morning. A vampire had gotten too close to their territory and so duty called, pulling the newly weds apart and sending the pack on a manhunt for over two weeks. In the beginning Dakota was fine. He usually was. Instinct would take over and the thrill of the hunt kept him going. But as it lagged on, Dakota fell out of step as he lost interest and the amount of time since he last letter rapidly grew. Thankfully they returned this time without incident and Dakota went straight to Forks to collect his mail.

Pulling up in front of the Winters' house he found Teresa waiting for him outside with a small stack of letters in hand as well as a rather large package. Dakota stepped out of his car and was instantly hit with the stench of vampire. The very smell that brought out the killer wolf within him. It was always a struggle coming here and having to stand in the vampire's presence. However today would be particularly difficult as a second smell rushed his sense and sent a brief wave of nausea over him. Blood. Dakota could smell blood, and a lot of it. The smelled mixed with the disgustingly sweet Vampire scent and put a metallic taste in his mouth. Teresa must had just fed. And while it was only animal blood, Dakota could tell by the smell, it was still vampirism and the concept sickened him.

"It's about time, I was ready to toss these if you were any later."
Dakota couldn't stop the smirk that spread across his face. He knew Teresa timed her hunts so that she would be gone only when she was sure Dakota wouldn't show up. Once long ago he had come to collect his letters while she was out and he had let himself into the house to take what was his. She didn't like that one bit and ever since she would hunt only after he picked up his letters; usually he came weekly. He'd been gone a month though and clearly Teresa hadn't been able to hold out and had fed in between anxiously waiting for him to show up.

Dakota didn't stay to chat or exchange rude comments, he had letters to read and wouldn't have been able to stomach the stench for much longer. When he next shifted his car into park he was miles from Forks. While Dakota could often be found on the beach at La Push, today he was more inland, parked on a hill overlooking a lake where two trees stood tall, creating a shady space in the middle of the flower covered hill. After Dakota's parents died they had been cremated and their ashes scattered here at Lake Crescent, These two trees were planted in their honor; they were essentially their tombstones, and while Dakota had never truly identified with his family, this had always been a comforting place to him. And so it was here that he decided to hunker down and catch up on his month of letters.

It was about a year later, Dakota sat with his handful of letters like usual, reading up on all of Clarke's life that he was missing out on. The pack was stationed just outside the Canadian border on a stand off with a vampire couple who had repeatedly wandered too close to the reservation. Ian had been unable to figure out what exactly they were after and so he had decided to chase them out of the country. The second they crossed that border again they were as good as dead. Dakota couldn't understand why they hadn't killed them yet. Ian had said something about how they hadn't attacked anyone yet, but Dakota could care less about morals. They were vampires and the Quileute wolves had a home to protect. But Ian and Dakota's leadership disagreements would have to be saved for another time. Dakota had just picked up the last letter in his stack and opened it to find what was probably the shortest letter Clarke had ever written to him. He read it quickly, then reread it and again once more. Clarke was coming home. She was finally coming home for real and his excitement skyrocketed at the thought of being reunited with his imprintee. It had been seventeen years of heartache and suffering but finally that would be over. He could practically feel her presence already and after glancing at the date in the upper right corner he concluded he knew how it was he felt her. The letter was written almost a month ago. Clarke had to be home by now. Clarke was home.

Dakota had never stood up so quickly in his entire thirty four years of life. The letter was crumpling in his fist, his superhuman grip too strong for the flimsy piece of paper. He clung to the letter, as though it might vanish if he put it down, and Clarke's return along with it. However his attachment to this letter vanished as soon as he stepped outside the shelter the pack had constructed to have a dry place to sleep. His bare feet touched green grass and in seconds he had phased to stand on four paws, the letter abandoned on the ground as Dakota took off running.
"Kota!"
He could hear the others try to call him back as he left. Then he could hear them in his head as they phased one by one to chase after him. Dakota couldn't concentrate to explain himself. He was like a racehorse with blinkers and the only thing in his sights was the thought of reuniting with his one true love.
He ran nonstop from the border back to the reservation. The pack all struggled to keep up with his speed but they never once stopped following him. By now they had more or less figured out that Dakota had convinced Clarke had come home. Each wolf had their own thoughts on the matter but the one thing they could agree on was not wanting to leave Dakota alone. Maybe it was mistrust, maybe it was concern. No matter the reason they ran after their future alpha, all wondering how this would play out.

As he grew close enough to smell home, there was an unsettling yet familiar scent. One that simultaneously but him on edge and drew him in. It had a sweetness to it that he found irresistible. It was comforting and excited him. He wanted nothing more than to find the source of his unique scent and never let it out of his sight. It also made him sick.

Dakota burst out from the shelter of the trees as he approached the source of this gravitational pull. He was by Ian and Rebecca's house, his sense overloaded with the scent in the air, Clarke on his mind and the pack calling at his thoughts. He turned the corner to where he could see the entrance and there she stood, standing out like a shimmering diamond in the sun. Dakota had never stopped moving and closed the distance in seconds, his giant wolf self colliding with her petite frame. They slid back from the force but when they stopped Dakota stood in human form, his arms wrapped around her as he shook. Her name escaped his lips just before his knees gave out and his bare form slowly dropped to the ground, bringing Clarke with him as he still held tight. Tears were streaming down his cheeks though his face was buried in her shoulder. He could feel her smiling, then her hand ran through his hair, her other gently patted his back in a motherly fashion to calm a crying child.

He was complete again. He could feel the hole in his heart filling with each passing second since he'd seen her, the weights were lifting off his shoulders leaving him feeling weightlessly in complete bliss. Time had stopped and he prayed the clock would stay frozen so he'd never have to leave from this very moment.
"I told you I would return."
It started off faint. In all that was happening he'd forgotten about the unsettling smell from earlier. It was growing now though to the point that it was making him light headed and he was almost at the point of passing out when a sudden white hot stabbing pain erupted from the base of his neck. He could feel his blood pulsing as it left his body. It felt like forever before he was able to lean back away from Clarke just enough to look up at her face. A full moon reflected in her crimson red eyes; as red as the blood dripping from her mouth...

Dakota woke crying out and his eyes flashed open to Kaya's worried expression sitting beside him. The pain he'd felt was very real and he slowly rolled onto his back to relieve his likely fractured collar bone from the immense pressure of his body weight. He was panting, gasping for air as he struggled with catch his breath; however that was a task easier said than done as every inhale was accompanied by a sharp pain.

It had been a freak accident. The pack were in Oregon pursuing a few vampires but one managed to get hold of Kale. Without really thinking through anything, Dakota had kept to his aid, attacking the vampire but losing his footing in the process. He fell off a cliff drop off, taking the by then headless vampire with him. The wolves were tough and could take quite a beating. It wasn't the fall itself that had injured Dakota so, rather it was where he fell. He had landed on a mountain pass road right as a car sped around the corner going well over the speed limit. The second impact had been what broke Dakota's weakened body as the car crumpled against his giant wolf form. The car had flipped down the rest of the mountain and there was no way the human driver could have survived to tell his story of the massive tawny wolf that had totaled his car.

The pack had pulled the unconscious Dakota off the road and under the cover of trees, bickering amongst themselves as to what they should do until Dakota regained consciousness.
"Guess I don't need to ask how you're feeling."
The pain was clearly etched on Dakota's face, his breathing still heavy as his head tilted to look over at Kale. It wasn't often the other River wolf spoke. It was then Dakota realized that everyone was sitting around him more or less, he located Ian and made eye contact with him, "We think you broke a few bones...Kota we can't do anything for you way out here."

So they would need to get back to the reservation for someone to take a look at him as no one in the pack had any sort of medical training beyond basic first aid. Dakota exhaled slowly as he processed what Ian was hinting at; the daunting task of getting home with Dakota out of the game. He couldn't exactly phase and run on all fours, but they were hundreds of miles from home which was impossible to trek as a human. Dakota pushed himself upright, wincing as he did so, "Let's go."
"No! Are you crazy!? Kota you really shouldn't be moving, let's just wait till you've healed."
"I shouldn't be sitting here either." He didn't mean to snap at Kaya but his nightmare was still so fresh in his mind that coupled with the pain from his injuries, Dakota's mood and control were rapidly taking a turn for the worse.
"Kota's right. We're sitting ducks in vamp country right now." Thanks Nathan...
It wasn't like his life was in any danger anyways, he was just in pain and would be for a while whether they waited for left. But he could handle the hours of pain as his bones healed, however sitting around waiting for the rest of the vampire's coven to hunt them down was not something Dakota was willing to do. Everyone looked expectantly at Ian, awaiting his alpha decision. Would he choose Kota's comfort over the pack's safety? Or prioritize getting everyone home?
"Ian we need to move, now."
Ian looked stressed over the decision at hand, every second they waited was a second closer to the vampires finding them. Either they needed to leave or prepare for a second fight and hide Dakota somewhere.
"Ian!"
"Quiet!"
The air was tense for a silent moment before Ian exhaled slowly, eyes landing on Dakota as he spoke, "We'll leave. Dakota don't push yourself too hard. We're stopping as soon as we're out of immediate danger for you to rest up."
"Fine by me."

One by one the wolves all phased, Dakota was the last to join and he fought to concentrate through the pain long enough to change form but at last they were all on the move. Ian led the way followed by little Scout, Kaya was at Dakota's side as he struggled to keep pace. Kale was at the rear and Nathan ran separate, wandering their perimeter as he kept look out for any sign or smell that the vampires had caught up with them. They continued this for almost two hours before Ian finally felt safe enough to stop and settle down for a few hours.

Dakota was in and out of sleep but eventually he had mended enough for them to hurry back home. He felt fine, tired as hell but the pain was gone; still Ian insisted on getting his healed bones looked at. The pack dispersed once on the reservation, Ian and Dakota stopped at the younger's house first so he could change into fresh clothes. He dressed in a half buttoned flannel over his bare chest and dark denim jeans. His heavy boots were the last to put on before leaving his room to go meet Ian outside. Passing through the kitchen however a piece of paper on the table caught his eye and he detoured over to read it. It was an outline for a council meeting; topics to be covered and at the top of the list was the pack's uncertain future. They had spent eighteen years asking Dakota to take his place as alpha. Would they ever stop!? The note was addressed for tonight; apparently there was a meeting planned and Dakota had no intention of attending. The paper was crumpled into a ball and thrown against the wall before Dakota rejoined Ian outside. One glance and Ian could tell something had happened in the house to upset Dakota but he chose not to ask about it and wrapped his arm across Dakota's shoulders in a brotherly fashion, "C'mon, let's get you checked out, then I'm sure Rebecca is waiting for us."

Dakota often ate with the Quinaults. It was his escape from his own suffocating home filled of tradition and expectations. As they grew closer to Ian's house a nagging feeling in him intensified. He'd felt it as soon as he'd stepped foot on Quileute land but hadn't been able to even imagine what it had meant. The feeling was coupled with a distantly familiar scent but Dakota had brushed it off as being his nightmare from earlier still haunting him. After all he rarely slept, it made sense for him to be hallucinating thoughts and smells. It got to the point of actually irritating him though as he couldn't figure out what this feeling was, but as he turned the corner to Ian's house he froze as soon as his eyes landed on the girl standing outside. Not only had Dakota's feet stopped in his tracks, but his breathing did as well; his hear and time itself. WAs this real? Or was this just his mind playing games with him again? She stood there, smiling before him. Ian's hand was on his shoulder, as if he knew all of the doubt and hesitation racing through his head. The magnetic pull he felt was almost painful as every cell in his body yearned to be with the girl. Still his thoughts held him in place, overwhelmed with emotion as seventeen years worth of separation flooded through him. It was like rewinding a movie back to the beginning, back to when all he had and all he needed was, "Clarke."

There wasn't a gap between them anymore as Dakota rushed towards her, wrapping his arms around her so tightly that he would have crushed her had she been completely human. His heart slowed from racing to content with each second in her presence and for the first time in a long time, Dakota's mind was completely blank. He was free from responsibility and expectations, depression and rage, everything that had tortured him so were now irrelevant. Dakota couldn't bring himself to speak at first, all he could do was hold her; taking in his scent and warmth that he had missed so If he was at all phased or surprised by her teenage appearance, it didn't show.

His knees were growing weak. As revived as she made him feel, there was no masking his seventeen years of deteriorating health, and his unusually thin frame trembled now as he held her. He moved away just far enough to put his forehead to hers', his eyes shut as his fears grabbed at him. Fear that he would wake up and this would all just be another dream of his. Fear he would open his eyes and see red ones staring back at him...

"What took you so long?" His voice was low, kept between just the two of them as Ian and Rebecca watched on from the side. At last Dakota released her from his embrace and instead his hands took hers; he couldn't break contact with her.
"Food is ready inside, I'm sure you boys are hungry."
Rebecca was finally the one to speak up and address first all of them, then more directly to Ian, "Are the others coming? We made plenty for everyone."

The others. That's right. The pack had split when they'd returned, everyone went to see their respected families after being away for so long. But Dakota wasn't sure he was ready to see them now with Clarke at his side. She was here right? He was still in shock and disbelief over it all. But his protective side and been awakened and his hands tightened around Clarke's at the thought of the pack joining them.
"Yeah they should swing by in a bit. We were all going to meet here."
Dakota finally turned his head away from Clarke just long enough to make eye contact with Ian, the warning loud in his silent stare. This would be the pack's first time meeting Clarke and imprinting law or not; she was part vampire and Dakota had trust issues. But Ian didn't look concerned at the prospect of the pack meeting Clark, and Dakota generally trusted Ian's decisions, he just hoped this was the right one as well. Dakota's paranoia was short lived as the second he looked back to Clarke he relaxed again and a smile spread across his face. There was not a speck of red in her eyes. She was still just Clarke. His Clarke, and she swept his worst fears to the back of his mind. Telling her how much he'd missed her would be sort of redundant at this point after so many years of their letter exchanges, It was almost too cliche for him to say but words still escaped him and so as Rebecca and Ian entered the house he waited the extra moment outside with Clarke.

I thought you were dead.

I thought I'd never see you again.

"I missed you."

WITHOUT YOU I WOULD FALL APART tab I'M SAFE WHEN I AM IN YOUR ARMS tab AND ONLY YOU CAN SET ME FREE tab AND ONLY YOU CAN SAVE ME

Last edited:

sxUU3Wv.png

rosie-tupper-gif-7.gif
Just to hear his voice say her name after seventeen years made the separation worth it. It would never validate her hurting him the way she had, but it was enough to help her move on and begin again with him. “Kota...” she whispered in a breath after him, a huge smile gracing her lips. And just like that she no longer fought the pull she felt towards him as she stepped away from Rebecca with her arms wide open towards him. In seconds she was tightly in his embrace, her own arms snaked around his neck with her hands buried in his hair. Her nose took in his scent; the “wet dog” smell masked entirely by the earth that seeped through his pores. Her knees grew weak being drowned in it and she was glad that he was holding her. Not that it mattered much since his towering build practically lifted her smaller frame off the ground until her feet were dangling mere inches. As they continued to hold each other in this position, she closed her eyes to take in this memory; to etch it into her mind forever. This was exactly how she envisioned this reunion to play out.

When Dakota pulled away enough for their foreheads to touch, a soft giggle left her and her hands untangled themselves from his hair—ignoring the fact that there were now strands standing at odd angles—to trace downwards to the sides of his face. Her skin tingled against his, grateful that they were the same body temperature; with Dakota being a few degrees hotter. She always thought that this meant they really were meant to be together aside from the fact that he had imprinted on her. Leave it to Clarke the Hopeless Romantic to find other ways to prove that she was his and he was hers no matter what anyone tried to argue. Now that she was back in Forks, nothing was going to break them apart again.

She opened her eyes once again to look up at him as he finally let go to take her hands. His grip was stronger than she remembered and it made her feel so safe and secure. But the brief light that was in her eyes and in her smile faded as she gazed up at him with grief and guilt. “I'm so sorry,” she whispered, keeping the conversation between the both of them. “I really did want to come back. You have to believe me...” She hoped he believed her. The last nine years were as tough on her as it must have been for him.

As Rebecca broke up the reunion to remind them all that they had hungry wolves to feed, Clarke took this moment to really observe him. Instantly what was left her smile disappeared and a frown took its place. Seventeen years may have been a long time, but even she knew that Dakota was dangerously thinner than when she had left. His large frame lacked much of the muscles she remembered him having. His skin was paler. And the dark circles under his eyes told her that he has lost a lot of sleep; almost as much as her own family. Suddenly she wondered what Rebecca had done with all the pictures she had sent her throughout the years to make that Dakota look completely different to the one standing in front of her. She instinctively tightened her grip on his hands as a means of defense as if this one movement would protect him from all the pain he had gone through over the years. For all she knew, maybe she was. Maybe this would reassure him that she was actually back and this was not some dream.

The smile she had before immediately returned to her lips as Dakota returned his gaze to her. He must have been fooled enough because his own smile appeared. Clarke's unusual heart quickened briefly before slowing down again. It was during that moment that a breath caught in her throat and she took a small step back to regain herself. She had felt her heart speed up like that before, but never as quickly as it had just now and not in such a brief amount of time. It was a strange feeling and a bit painful as a first experience. She questioned for a moment what could possibly be wrong with her just now. She had just been going over the anatomy books that Abram made her read through when she returned her gaze up to Dakota and felt all of her worries be brushed away. Her smiled returned.

“I missed you too, so much,” she responded as she released one hand to brush it against his cheek tenderly. Suddenly, a thought came to her and she couldn't help but giggle. “I'm tall enough that you don't have to kneel down for me to do that,” she teased with another giggle.

Someone close by cleared his throat and broke her attention. Clarke turned to see that Ian had come out of his house again and was making his way back towards them. He explained that while they wait for the rest of the pack to arrive, Rebecca needed to examine Dakota's arm. Her head turned right back to Dakota with wide, worried eyes. “You're hurt?” she asked, her voice cracking under worry. Her eyes wandered throughout his body to look for any signs of injury that Ian could be talking about; apparently forgetting in her panic that the Alpha had just said it was Dakota's arm. It took some coaxing and comforting from both men to calm her down enough for the both of them to explain that Dakota was technically fine and that his injury had healed. Ian only wanted Rebecca to take a look at it in case something went wrong in the midst of the healing. This relieved her, but only a little. With a small sigh, she followed behind both Dakota and Ian back into the house; never once letting go of Dakota's hand.

Back in the house, Clarke let go of Dakota so that he could be led by Ian to the couch where Rebecca was waiting for him. She hovered behind him with her arms crossed over her chest and a small frown on her face as Ian recalled what had happened. A low snarl vibrated in her throat as she too listened to the story. So it was a vampire that was the reason for Dakota getting hurt. She felt her own blood boil over the thought of one of her kind being the cause of her wolf getting hurt. But she didn't say anything to interject into the conversation, instead opting to just keeping her eyes on the one being examined right now. It wasn't long before everyone let out a sigh of relief to find that he was perfectly fine. That was the magic of werewolf healing. Dropping her arms to her sides, she walked around the couch to take the spot Rebecca had vacated on the couch; right beside Dakota.

“I'm glad you're okay,” she said in a soft voice as she took his now dubbed healed arm and wrapped it around her shoulders.

“Hey, Clarke,” suddenly came Ian's voice from behind them. She adjusted her body so that she could turn to face the pack's Alpha. “How come you didn't let anyone know that you were coming back?” he asked as he helped carry the platters of food onto the long dining table.

Clarke looked briefly at Rebecca, who avoided her gaze with blushing cheeks. She then turned to look over at Dakota with a confused expression. “I sent you a letter back in September when I first found out. Did you not get it? It should have come in before this week?” she asked him as she looked from Dakota to Ian. Ian then explained that they had been on assignment, which Clarke guessed would have been an okay reason. She pursed her lips at the thought of said assignment and the thought that a vampire had been the reason Dakota had gotten hurt.

She let out a breath and placed a bright smile on her face. “Well, what's done is done! At least I told Rebecca! I just hope, Ian, that it's okay I stay here? If it's going to be a problem, I do have half of my stuff back at the house...” Ian made no objections, but she could also tell that he wasn't that too fond of the idea since he didn't have a say in the matter. Clarke decided not to say anything about it so as to not challenge the hospitality of her hosts.

It was a good thing that right at that moment, the door to the house swung open and a crowd of tall men similar in built as Dakota and Ian barged in a whooping frenzy. However, all movement stopped momentarily as every single one of the pack members stiffened and turned their attention over to her. Eyes wide, Clarke cleared her throat and stood up from the couch to face them. No one moved for seconds as they all looked at her with caution while she looked at them with uncertainty. Eventually, it was Ian that broke the silence and introduced her. The pack looked over at their Alpha as if waiting for some kind of order from him, but when he gave none they all walked away towards the table to fill their plates with food.

Clarke bit down on her bottom lip then looked over at Dakota. She flashed him a small smile as she took his hand in hers. “Go eat. You look like you've been starving yourself...” she told him then pushed her hand holding his forward to turn him in the direction of the dining table. “Go ahead. I'm not hungry,” she then added.

From her place in the living room, she marveled at the size of the pack. Compared to before she had left, it was massive now. Before it had been Dakota, Ian, and two others. Now, the two from before were gone and two new males joined. What surprised her the most was the presence of the two women. Both were beautiful. The younger one—who had some obvious resemblances to Ian—stuck close to the older one as they filled their plate and then ate. She wondered when had they joined the pack.

It was some time after everyone practically filled their plates with more than half of what Rebecca had cooked that Clarke noticed the stares she was given from the others in the pack; especially the males. If she wasn't herself, she would have been nervous about what they could be thinking about her. But, given the talents she possessed, she had some idea. They were wary of her. It wasn't the nervous fear kind. No, they were wondering if she would do something that only her vampire half would do. It had to be the werewolf part of them that hated that there was one of them—even if it was only half—currently in their lands. And she knew without her talents that they were well aware that she was technically breaking the treaty their ancestors and her family had agreed upon. Half human or not, she was a Winters. And Winters were not allowed to step foot on their lands.

Moments later, Clarke remained at her spot on the couch; legs crossed and hands folded on her lap. With her back towards the pack now, she depended on her enhanced hearing to get some idea of what was going on. Ian was trying to persuade Dakota to go the council meeting later that night. Rebecca was fussing over some rolls that were in the oven. A few of the other pack members were muttering to themselves about the assignment, though she caught how strained their voices were as if they were trying hard not to talk about the elephant in the room. Clarke kept her head down and her eyes on her hands as soon inhaled a deep breath— “Hi!”

Clarke jumped at the sudden voice beside her. She turned her head to find the younger female wolf standing above her with what must have been her second or third plate full of food. “Can I sit here?” the girl then asked, nodding to the empty spot beside Clake on the couch.

“Oh,” she managed to let out as she looked at the empty spot. “Of course,” she then responded, unfolding her hands so that she could scoot a bit to the side to give the girl some room for her to sit. The girl smiled briefly then moved to sit down beside her.

The two sat together in awkward silence for seconds longer than deemed comfortable; Clarke as still as her half breed body would allow her and the younger girl forking at her food. “Sooo...I guess you and I are going to be roommates?” the younger one finally said slowly. Clarke looked at her with a confused expression, not even the string of lights above her head could give her any clue as to what she was talking about.

Her staring caused the other to blush and look down at her food to compose herself. “Um, sorry. I'm Scout, Ian's little sister,” she said. Clarke ignored the sudden silence from one part of the room after this introduction. “Yeah, the extra room in this house is mine actually. And, um, Rebecca told me that you're staying here and if it was okay if we shared a room.”

Clarke looked over at Ian who had glanced up at them for a brief second before turning away to continue his conversation. “Right. I believe Rebecca mentioned you in one of her letters. She didn't tell me you were part of the pack though,” she responded when she returned her gaze over to Scout.

Scout let out a small laugh then commented that she had just joined when she was fifteen. Clarke stared in amazement; she had phased at such a young age. From what Clarke recalled, Dakota hadn't phased until he was seventeen.

“I think it's good that you're back,” Scout suddenly said, this time looking right at Clarke. “The pack has been through...a lot...while you were gone. It's been pretty rough, from what I got since joining.” It was Clarke's turn to look away. However, it was because she felt ashamed for what she must have put the pack through while she had been gone. After seeing how much Dakota's health had worsened, she could only string the dots together and realize that there was more damage to her departure than she had let on or what she had been made to believe. She tried to keep her frustration towards her family, and towards Dakota a bit, to herself as she moved conversation along with Scout. After the initial awkwardness, she realized that she got along well with Scout; probably because they were closest to each other in age.

Eventually, the pack started to leave to go back to their own homes. The first to leave was Nathan, who apparently had his own imprintee that he wanted to see. Later on, the twins, Kale and Kaya, too departed to go back home. Clarke never got to meet any of them; she overhead their names in conversations and then when Scout talked about them to her. Scout was tasked with helping Rebecca wash dishes. Ian had managed to pull Dakota away from Clarke long enough to help carry all of her things that were still in the trunk to Scout's room. As for Clarke, she tried to make herself as useful as possible by putting the leftover food—as little as it was—in smaller containers so that the bigger platters could be cleaned.

When Dakota walked out of Scout's room after carrying the last of her things inside, she just finished stacking the containers into the refrigerator. At the sound of his footsteps, she smiled over at him then walked around the table to meet up with him. For some time, she just stood there with him with her arms wrapped around his waist and her head on his chest. But when Ian walked passed to kiss Rebecca and then leave, she realized that she should do something about the obvious tension between the two in regards to the council meeting.

“Why aren't you going with Ian to the meeting? Aren't you needed there?” she asked him slowly. Instantly, she saw Dakota's objections to going on his face even before he could say anything. She frowned up at him then pulled away from his embrace. “But, you need to go. You're supposed to take your place as Alpha soon, right? Shouldn't you be a part of the decision making of the tribe?”

Clarke let out a sigh then took a step close to him again. “Kota, you should go. I promise I will still be here when it's done. I'm not going anywhere anymore.” With a warm smile, she took his right hand in hers then linked their pinky fingers. She had a brief flashback to the day she left him and doing the exact same action as she promised that her leaving wouldn't be forever and that she would come back. “Go~”

“Do you need me to move some of my clothes so you can fit yours in?” Scout asked as she led Clarke into what was now their room. Smiling gently, Clarke explained that she could go to the store tomorrow and buy a clothes rack for her clothes and leave the rest in the boxes. Scout wouldn't have much of this though and insisted on at least putting the clothes that didn't need to be hung in her drawers. She ignored Clarke's objections to this as she cleared out a drawer for her. After that, they went through as many of Clarke's clothes as they could to fit into that now empty drawer. Clarke figured that whatever clothes didn't fit in this small room, she could bring it to the house and leave it in her old room.

Just like Dakota's room, Scout's room was pretty tiny but it was the right size for her. It was for this reason that she felt a little guilty that they had to put another bed in the room. Clarke had mentioned to Rebecca plenty of times before that she would have been fine sleeping on the couch or on the floor. But the older female wouldn't have any of it; especially since the pack was notorious for taking the couch anyway. She had to picture just how she would fit in this small room. Even if it was true that Scout rarely slept in this room nowadays, she still felt like she needed to do something to feel more welcomed.

When Rebecca entered Scout's room with extra blankets, the two younger girls had abandoned the unpacking progress. They were now sitting on Scout's bed, which the two had agreed would be big enough for the both of them to sleep on for the time being. Clarke was in the middle of telling Scout about her time in Forks and all the times she spent with Dakota before she left. She found out that Scout had been fascinated with imprinting since Ian's wedding and was curious about what it was like for her to be the object of a wolf's imprinting; especially since that someone was Dakota Crescent. Clarke was more than obliged to share any stories she could tell. Rebecca had soon joined in to add her own stories even though Scout had probably heard them already. But this would be the first time Clarke would hear them.

Before any of them knew it, the front door opened once again and Clarke heard two heavy footsteps enter. Smiling brightly, she excused herself then rushed out of the bedroom to go back to the living room. It wasn't long that she was standing in front of Dakota again, doing anything she could to have some form of physical contact with him. She was about to ask how the meeting went when her eyes looked up above him briefly and then decided against it. “Let's go for a walk?”

The walk and the fresh air helped. It wasn't until they were outside again that Clarke realized she had been inside almost all day since Dakota's return with the pack. Time seemed to escape her as she walked with him and kept to his side the entire time. They walked along paths that she still remembered. For the most part, she did much of the talking. Even with the long letters she had sent, she still found something to tell. Before they knew it, the night was growing late and they had to go back. But even saying good bye for the night was hard.

The next morning, Clarke woke up alone in Scout's room. Straining her ears for any other sounds in the house, she caught some movement in the kitchen once again. Probably Rebecca preparing food for the pack. There didn't seem to be any other sounds so maybe Ian and Scout were both out patrolling? She would find out later.

After a quick shower, she changed into a simple white t-shirt, a pair of shorts, and white Keds. She figured this was appropriate enough to wear while here. It would make her stick out more than she already did to wear something designer that Natasha made her pack. When she walked out to the kitchen, Rebecca greeted her just as she was transferring pancakes onto a platter sitting on the table. For any other human, the smells coming from the kitchen would have made their stomach grumble with hunger. Clarke, on the other hand, just couldn't appreciate human food despite being able to live off of it. When she was asked if she wanted to eat anything, Clarke smiled politely and grabbed a muffin from the batch. She didn't move to eat it though.

“Kota is still at home, yes?” she asked as she switched the muffin from hand to hand. Rebecca confirmed that he was. With a grin, she excused herself with the reasoning that she would go over to his place to see him. She left the uneaten muffin behind.

The day was starting for the people in the Quileute tribe. She could hear movement in all the houses that she passed and all the light chatter. Life really had not changed since she left. This was a relief. She followed her memory all the way to Dakota's house. When it was in sight, she couldn't help herself and sped up to close the distance between her and the front door.

She was surprised to find that the front door was unlocked. But she didn't hear any of his grandparents' voices so she assumed that neither of them were home. She did, however, know that he was there. His scent told her so. Grinning, she burst through the door to invite herself in.

“Good morning, Ko—“ Clarke gasped and then just stood there. And she stared. And stared. And stared. And stared. And kept on staring. Because standing in front of her was Dakota....without a shirt.

There had been those rare occasions seventeen years ago when Clarke had seen Dakota without a shirt on. But back then she didn't think much of it. Now, seventeen years later, things were so different. And that was why she was still staring, standing as still as a statue with her mouth open and her eyes wide. It was many seconds later that it finally processed in her mind that she should probably stop staring.

“Sorry!” she squealed out as she turned her back towards Dakota. She felt the blood rush to her cheeks and turn them a bright red. Her heart beat dangerously fast from her embarrassment and her first instinct was to leave and wait for him to put on a shirt. She decided to go with this decision. With her head still down, and her hands now pressed on her cheeks to cover the rosy tint of them, she started out the door.

“Watch it!” said a voice as she bumped into someone. Eyes wide again, she looked up to find that she had bumped into one of the other pack members, Kale. He took a step back from her, a brief look of disgust on his face before it disappeared and he stood there nonchalantly. Clarke stuttered out some sort of apology as she realized that his large frame made it impossible for her to leave. She had no choice but to turn back around and re-enter Dakota's house.

Once back inside, she went to stand near Dakota, but avoided looking at him. The couple times that she turned to face him, her eyes landed right on his bare torso and remained there before she once again apologized and looked away. By then, Kale and his sister Kaya had come inside. “The way she's acting, you would have thought that she has never seen any guy shirtless before,” she overheard Kale mutter to himself. This only made her cheeks burn hotter.

“Put a shirt on and let's go. I'm starving,” Kale said after the three pack members spent some time conversing. Clarke stood to the side the whole time trying to find something to do to occupy herself. She ended up making tea just to give her hands something to do while she tried to lose the color from her cheeks. Kale led the way out of the house.

Just as she was going to follow Dakota outside, she caught something from the corner of her eye. She had just put her cup of tea down on the kitchen counter when she noticed the female, Kaya, take a glance over at Dakota. She didn't stare at him like she had earlier. In fact, him being shirtless didn't seem to bother her that much; almost as if she saw him in that form of dress often. Clarke wondered to herself, with the state in how the pack members phased, if Kaya had seen more. But, that wasn't what bothered Clarke the most.

The glance Kaya gave to Dakota only lasted a second, but that didn't stop Clarke from noticing the string of purple lights that emitted out from the front ride side of her head. Her breathing stopped for a moment as she took in how intense the light was. She looked from Kaya to Dakota then back to Kaya, but by that time, the female had turned and walked out of the house. Ducking her head down so that Dakota wouldn't see any changes in her expression, she followed beside him towards Ian's house again. The entire trip she grew more and more concerned that the purple strings of light had not disappeared.

When they arrived back at Ian's house, the rest of the pack had returned and was once again surrounding the dining table to fill their plates with food. Were they never not hungry? Entering last behind Dakota and the twins, she closed the door behind her then stood there as she watched the pack interact. She saw the ones that had already been there take note of her presence, but did nothing else about it. Watching all of them have their fill slowly made Clarke realize that she was actually kind of thirsty. Although the best thing for her to do now was to eat what Rebecca had made, she couldn't stop thinking about the prospect of the hunt.

“Kota?” she asked quietly, placing a hand on his arm. “Are you gonna be busy today? Because, if you were, I was thinking about going over to the house?” With the way she had been looked at by the rest of the pack, she figured it was best to leave out the detail about her wanting to go hunting. For good measure, she once again picked up a muffin and pulled off a small piece to put in her mouth. The taste was nowhere near appealing or satisfying.

gVTIm2r.png

ETH5TFt.gif
His eyes had shut as she traced his face; he was melting under her touch and felt his breath hitch when Ian’s voice broke their moment. He could feel his annoyance growing over the interruption, but it was Ian, so his heated emotions were left to simmer with only his eyes darting over to glare at the older wolf. He just had to bring that up right now…

”It’s nothing, I’m fine.” But Clarke wouldn’t accept such a simple answer, ”Ian’s just being stubborn.” Said the King of Stubbornness himself. Once inside he unbuttoned his flannel and slipped his arm out of the sleeve before sitting down beside Rebecca. This certainly wasn’t the first time she’d played doctor for him, but it was the first time Clarke had been present to see him injured; not that he was as he kept insisting but he could feel Clarke’s impatient worrying behind him as Ian gave all the details. He explained about the vampire, how Dakota had fallen off the cliff, the car that hit him next pulling his unconscious crumpled body off the road...Dakota’s annoyance was growing again as he listened to Ian’s retelling. He made it sound so dramatic; he was fine! How many times would he have to say it!? But somewhere inside he knew they were right for wanting to check and be sure. As amazing as his healing abilities were, if it had healed incorrectly then they would need to rebreak it and set it properly. But wouldn’t he have felt it if something was wrong? Well, no matter, Rebecca gave him the all clear just like he knew she would and he slid his arm back into his sleeve just before Clarke took a seat beside him. He didn’t bother rebuttoning his shirt.

Clarke mentioned how she had sent a letter informing them of her arrival, she and Ian spoke for a short bit and the entire time Dakota couldn’t take his eyes off of her. That is until the door opened and in walked the rest of the pack. Dakota was on his feet in an instant, positioning himself ever so slightly in front of Clarke when she too stood up. His eyes were trained on the others. His warning growls weren’t audible, but they didn’t need to be. Dakota’s body language was loud enough as he took an extra step in front of her. This was all rather excessive and unnecessary. The lack of trust--no, his paranoia laid out for all to see. Dakota trusted them. Each and every one of them, but with Clarke back he was conflicted; Dakota was finally relaxed, at ease and relieved to be reunited with the love of his life. He was also simultaneously paranoid and on edge, ready to take out anyone or anything that would be a threat to them in anyway. No one would take his Clarke away from him. No one.

Thankfully Ian broke the silence, though Dakota’s hand tightened into a fist at the mention of Clarke’s name. However the pack made no move against them and continued on to the table with only a couple curious glances over their shoulders, which were met head on by Dakota as he watched their every move-- ”Go eat.”
Clarke tore his attention back to her as she took his clenched hand, releasing all his tension all at once. But it was only for her to send him away--okay that was a little dramatic of him. But the last thing he wanted was to leave her side, even if it was only to the other side of the room. They hadn’t even been reunited for half an hour and already...she insisted he go and Dakota took a hesitant step away, then another. Clarke’s words and wishes were his life’s purpose. This is what she wanted, so this is what he would do.

”She’s cute.”
Dakota was at the table now, a plate of food served up and he was about to sit down to eat when the comment was made. His eyes flashed up to meet the speaker, daring the other wolf to speak again.
”Nathan don’t.” Now Kaya was butting in in an attempt to silence Nathan’s out of place teasing before any more fights broke out between the two males.
This was all under low voices, though the only one without superhuman hearing was Rebecca. Nathan truly didn’t mean any harm, he had his own imprintee after all, he just didn’t know where to draw the line when it came to Dakota. Kaya had firmly placed herself between the two and stood her ground until Ian came over to pull the alpha-to-be away to eat at the other end of the long table with him. The rest of the pack settled down to eat, quietly talking amongst themselves, though try as they might, none of them could resist looking back over at Clarke every now and then; fighting a deep natural urge against the small girl on the sofa.

Dakota didn’t stay long after he finished eating. He also didn’t finish eating--rather, he got frustrated listening to Ian and after some time abandoned his food to return to sitting next to Clarke where he wrapped his arm around her small frame; another silent action challenging any of the others to try anything against them. He really didn’t need to keep fighting his pack, but here he was, practically begging for someone to oppose him. To give him a chance to relieve all his pent up anger. But no one took the bait.

”Kota, go bring Clarke’s bags from the car,” this request was met with a pair of questioning eyes as Dakota turned to Ian as though asking if he had to. Ian just rolled his eyes and smiled, “C’mon, get up!”
At last Ian managed to pull the two lovebirds apart and Dakota dragged his feet out the door, his eyes glancing over his shoulder every step of the way until Clarke was out of sight. Thankfully moving her belongings into Scout’s room didn’t take long and he was soon face to face with her again, arms wrapped around her and a smile subconsciously glued to his face as simply standing in her presence had him heads over heels for her. This was perfect. Just being here with her, not a care in the worl--
”Why aren’t you going with Ian to the meeting?”
He tensed at the mention of the current Alpha, his eyes darting to the side as though that alone could avoid this conversation. Clarke took control; she was always in control. Her words touched on everything he’d thought of and proceeded to tell him exactly what to do, not leaving room for debate or protest. Dakota couldn’t defy her, even when truly given a chance for his own opinion, he would always do as she wanted which how he ended up sitting on a log on the beach surrounding a bonfire. The tribe council was the last place he wanted to be right now and everyone was clearly surprised to see that he was attending.

”Thank you all for coming, I trust you all received tonight’s agenda earlier but we have an emergency topic to discuss before we delve into those matters.” There was a heavy moment of silence before the councilman continued, ”There is a dangerous presence among us--we have all felt it, and now we must decide what action to take. The Vampire girl, she has put us all on edge and I’m sure you are all wondering who she is and what she’s doing he--”

”Her name is Clarke.” Dakota’s voice cut off his elder, and drew all attention to his spot at the edge of the fire.
”Dakota please, not right now,”
”Her name is Clarke and she’s not going anywhere. She’s free to stay and no one can say otherwise.”
”Dakota that’s not your call to make--”
”She’s mine.”
He was on his feet, standing tall over anyone who dared to question him, ”She stays and no one can lay a finger on her.”
”Unless you’re going to accept Alpha, you can’t make that decision on your own. This is why the council exists Dakota. There is a threat to our tribe and it is our duty to protect every one of our families.”
As if the bonfire wasn’t hot enough on its own, tensions were high and Dakota looked ready to rip out the throat of anyone who spoke against him. The man wasn’t wrong, Dakota had no say in this matter as long as he refused to take his position as Alpha. He couldn’t keep Clarke safe with words alone. There was a theoretical band of scared villagers gathering with pitchforks to chase out the unknown and Dakota was tied down by his own weakness.

He was shaking, and clearly frustrated at the corner he’d gotten himself backed into, ”You can’t touch her--I won’t allow it.”
”Does this mean you are accepting your responsibility as Alpha?”
Dakota didn’t answer. He didn’t have an answer. Words escaped him, all that was left was raw emotion; mostly anger.
”No? So Ian remains Alpha.”
Dakota surged forward only to be stopped by a firm hand on his forearm holding him back, it was Ian, ”Clarke herself is not a danger to anyone here. She does not feed on humans and I can assure you she won’t be involving herself in the Tribe’s matters. She’s currently staying with Rebecca and I and I’m granting her permission to stay so long as no harm comes to our people because of her.”
Ian’s grip tightened on Dakota who was still trembling and looked ready to pounce, ”That’s my final say on the matter. If anyone has further concerns you are free to discuss with me afterwards, but I believe we have an agenda to see to?”
”Mm, Ian please update us on the pack’s latest excursion. You were tracking Vampires up North, correct?”

Ian had managed to pull Dakota back to sit on the log with him for most of the meeting but towards the end someone else said something to trip his temper. At least this time he had the self control to turn and storm out of the meeting rather than cause a scene on the beach. Ian excused himself shortly after to run after him and walk the younger wolf back to his house to reunite with the only one capable of calming him down. It was truly amazing what an effect Clarke had on him. Ian watched on as Dakota’s demeanor changed right before his eyes as soon as he’d made contact with Clarke and the small girl was quick to read the situation and lead Dakota away.

The rest of the night went far too quickly for Kota. Time flew by and before he knew it he was leaving Clarke at the doorstep of Ian’s house and watching until she was inside with the door shut. Her touch still lingered on him as he forced himself to turn and walk to his grandparents’ house. He knew he would get an earful from them about the commotion he’d caused at the council meeting. Especially his grandfather would be furious with him. This was exactly why he had to part with Clarke for the night. It wasn’t that she posed any danger to the tribe, it was that the tribe was a danger to her. It wouldn’t be safe for her to stay with him, she was safest with Ian and Rebecca. Dakota knew this but it didn’t make leaving her any easier.

That night for the first time in a long time he wasn’t plagued by nightmares. That’s not to say he got a good night’s rest though. Dakota tossed and turned for hours, restless and unable to quiet his thoughts. All he could think about was Clarke. It was torture to have her back but still be unable to be with her, even if it was just for a few hours. He woke early, had he even fallen asleep? He must have, but for how long was up for debate. It was still dark out when Dakota left to go for a run in attempt to clear his head; that did little except pass the time. When he got back home the sun was up and he hopped in the shower. The cold water was refreshing on his above average body temperature. He stood there, letting his wet hair fall over his forehead and shut his eyes as he simultaneously shut out all the stressful thoughts knocking on his consciousness. Now wasn’t the time.

His shower didn’t last long and he donned clean underwear and shorts afterwards out of habit. It was what he usually wore around the village, out on mission he usually didn’t phase back to human often. He glanced to the clock on the wall wondering if Clarke was awake yet-- right on cue the door opened and in she walked. His expression brightened instantly, not that she would notice as she was preoccupied with her own feelings. Shortly after came Kale and Kaya and everything seemed to fit into place all of a sudden. No longer was he bitter and resentful or snapping at the others for no reason. He looked content; comfortable to be able to share his life with the pack who made up his existence and with the girl to whom that existence belonged to. Finally things were turning around for him, mostly….he couldn’t stop his eyes from dancing over to Kaya every so often as they spoke. He was well aware that she was into him, but she also knew from the beginning that he was spoken for. That hadn’t stopped either of them from growing close over the years, only for Kaya to suddenly be benched now that Clarke was back. There was a tension in the air and for once it wasn’t radiating from Dakota, but he chose to ignore it and took Clarke’s hand in his as they left to return to Ian’s for breakfast.

”I can take you!”
Clarke had just asked if he was busy, but rather than answer her he instead volunteered himself to escort her back to the Winters’ house. What for he wasn’t sure, but he would go anywhere with her. The table fell silent from casual chatter, eyes now on Dakota as he’d just dropped all responsibilities to the pack to be Clarke’s chauffeur.
”That’s fine,” Ian to the rescue to break the silence, ”You two go enjoy the day, but Dakota be back by sundown, we’ll need you.”
Ian didn’t say what for, and Dakota didn’t respond, he knew he was already acting out, he didn’t need to verbally defy orders on top of that. Not that that had ever stopped him before….he was on his feet and took Clarke’s hand again, wordlessly inviting her to get up and leave with him then and there before anyone else could debate his decision. His smile had returned as he looked down at her. She was like a drug to him, and he was hopelessly addicted. He would blow off anyone and anything if it meant getting to be with her. Clarke was his everything.

sxUU3Wv.png

rosie-tupper-gif-7.gif
It took a lot of Clarke’s will to not smile at Kota’s outburst. She didn’t need the pack to think less of her than they probably already did. Ignoring the sudden stares they were receiving from the rest of the pack crowded around the table, Clarke once more pulled another small piece of her muffin and stuck it in her mouth. Sure, the muffin was doing something regarding her human hunger. Even she had to acknowledge the times when her stomach would grumble because she forgot to eat something due to her thirst. Relieved that the whole mind reading business was only a pack thing, Clarke was suddenly consumed with the thought of her thirst. She had managed to keep the thoughts in the back of her mind since her return to Forks, but she could never deny the reminder any attention once it was there.

Luckily, Kota was just as eager to get out of there and had taken her hand with a look that told her it was okay to stand up from her spot on the couch. She followed, keeping her gaze on their entwined hands to silence her thirst. Distracted by the fact that she felt more than joy with this physical contact, she had once more completely forgotten all about the muffin she had before. Somewhere in the empty spot in the back of her mind where thoughts of her thirst used to be, she reassured herself that if she did get hungry, she could always find something at the Winters house later.

Clarke effortlessly followed alongside Kota as they exited Ian’s home and made their way towards the forest. If her memory served her well, as it usually did, the Winters house was a decent distance away if they used the forest as a shortcut. Of course, anyone that wasn’t their kind would not be able to handle the journey and would have taken twice as much time to get there. But Clarke and Kota were not humans. Even with Kota in human form, his size, agility and endurance alone could keep him in pace with her supernatural speed.

Now a fair distance away from the reservation, Clarke once more felt at ease around Kota. She allowed herself the luxury to fully express how she felt being around him as a bright smile now appeared on her lips. After hopping over a fallen tree branch, she immediately took Kota’s hand once more and then hugged that very arm with her free hand. This allowed her the ability to be close enough to him that she can rest her body against his arm as they walked. “Kota…” she started hesitantly. “I hope it’s okay with you that I go hunting with Aunt Teresa?” she then explained.

With how many years that had passed since she was last with him, Clarke had absolutely no idea what his views on her kind hunting animals could be. When she was younger and her parents were teaching her to depend on the “vegetarian” diet to satiate her thirst, he didn’t seem to have a problem. In fact, she still had fond memories of running alongside his wolf form as they made a game of hunting deer in the forest. After so many years apart, would he still feel the same way? Or would he think it as an abomination like the rest of the behavior of her kind, even if it wasn’t towards humans?

Clarke bit down nervously on her bottom lip. “Kota, I know Ian said it was okay, but if you don’t want to be around while I hunt, it’s fine if you want to go back to the reservation. I can find my way to the house from here,” she quickly added, gradually releasing her grip on him. There was that urge to peek into his mind to read his thoughts, but she had made a promise to herself never to do that with him.

Almost as if she had been thinking aloud, Kota reassured her that he had no problems with her hunting. It was almost like a huge weight of worry had been lifted off her shoulders hearing this, or at least that was what she forced herself to feel. Her smile returned to her lips and she once more leaned close to him to press her body against his arm. “Oh, I’m so glad! It can be like before? Remember? We would race each other through the forest in-between chasing a deer or something. Now that I’m older and bigger, I think I can finally give you a bit of a challenge.” Her smile was teasing now, and a bit devious since she was more aware of her abilities than he was. She was excited at the idea of showing him that she was now able to keep up.

Her aunt was outside the house when they broke through the forest. She was fully dressed in a designer tracksuit as if it was no big deal that she could potentially get it dirty. It surprised her that the woman still ran on her routine in precise clockwork. Then again, Clarke was also grateful to have memorized her hunting schedule. Probably because of her heightened hearing, her aunt was already looking in their direction when they broke through the forest into the clearing. She ignored the brief look of disgust on her aunt’s face, as if she had smelled something foul. She still didn’t understand how others thought Kota smelled like wet dog. To her, he always smelled like the earth all around her.

“Hi Aunt Teresa! Off to hunt?” she asked, as if she didn’t know the answer already.

She watched as the vampire looked from her then to Kota, the look she gave him was cautious. “Yes,” she responded slowly, returning her gaze back to Clarke. “Why do you ask?”

Clarke didn’t answer right away. Instead, she once more looked up at Kota with a look questioning if he was still okay being here for this. He may have reassured her that he had no quarrels with her hunting, but nonverbal cues were her specialty. When he made no objections again, she continued. “I’ve been feeling kind of, well, thirsty since I arrived. I haven’t hunted in about a week.”

She waited as her aunt mulled this explanation over. Obviously, she had concerns about this, mainly regarding Kota. This only made Clarke more concerned about him being here. Aunt Teresa was the one that had been with Kota all those years she had been away. She knew more about him than she could wish. If she knew that there was something wrong with the idea of him being here, then who was she to argue?

Almost as if she had read her thoughts, her aunt then asked, “Is he coming or just dropping you off?”

Clarke looked up at Kota again then tightened her hold on his arm. “Yes, Auntie. He said he was okay with it. He’s hunted with me before. When I was little.” This time, her tone wasn’t as certain as before. But she wanted to believe that he really was at least a little okay with this. It was important to her that he was okay with it. She didn’t want his natural hatred for her vampire side to ruin them.

Her aunt once more looked between them for a pause. With a sigh, she finally agreed that he can come along if he wanted. Clarke beamed at this.

When Clarke walked out of the house after changing her clothes and shoes, she stared wide eyed at the sight in front of her. Her jaw dropped. Standing on the spot she had left Kota to change was a wolf that was ten times larger than average. The last time she had seen Kota in his wolf form, he had towered over her. Now, he still towered over her, but he didn’t have to bend over for her to look him in the eyes. He still looked as beautiful and majestic as she last remembered him.

She walked right over to him, her eyes practically glued to his. Even if he had changed forms, she would always know his eyes. When she stood in front of him, she instantly outstretched her hand until his fur brushed under her fingertips. “Still as beautiful as I remembered,” she said in a whisper.

Aunt Teresa cleared her throat, but the sound felt distant even though she was standing right behind her. Clarke blinked then turned away to look at the woman. It was time for them to go. Clarke returned her gaze to him with a smile. “I’ll race you,” she teased. A second later, she zoomed out of sight back into the forest.

The last time Kota had seen her hunt, she was a little child in the learning stages. So many years had passed since then and she could boast being able to hunt on her own without supervision. She wanted to show that to him now.

She followed behind her aunt as they sped through the forest. However, she did have a bit of trouble. It was no secret that because she was a hybrid, her supernatural abilities that she inherited from her vampire father were not perfect. She was still half human. Her organs still mostly worked like them, and arguably harder than an average human. There were occasions when she would stumble or need to take a quick break to catch her breath. But it didn’t take her long to recover and catch up.

They kept running until they were miles away from Forks. One of the first things Clarke had learned as a kid was to hunt away from home where humans rarely touched the earth. Not only would they avoid detection that way, but the animals ran more freely.

Clarke heard the deer as soon as she came to a halt behind a large tree. Its heart beat rhythmically and it made her throat burn in yearning. She could practically hear the blood flowing. A low snarl vibrated in her throat as she focused on only that sound. But before she could take her chance and pounce on her meal, her mind was made fully aware of the large beast that was still with her. She turned to look at Kota, her eyes basically asking his permission to do what she needed. She didn’t know why she was so hesitant to do what was natural for her while he was around.

Her ears remained focused on her prey, listening intently to its movements to keep track of its whereabouts. All the while, she kept her gaze on Kota. She wouldn’t make a move until he gave her the go ahead.

When he finally indicated that it was okay, Clarke honestly didn’t waste any time. Her throat was burning with thirst and there was a point where she felt somewhat irritated having to wait for his approval. She quickly slipped out of her hiding space and sprinted in the direction of her prey. It came in sight seconds later and before it could run away, Clarke leapt into the air and pounced right on top of it. She knocked it down with the sheer force of her movements. Her hands forced it down onto its side as she stomped her foot hard against its front leg to render it immobile. As soon as she did that, she sank her sharp teeth into it, feeling the blood squirt into her mouth. The feeling of its blood racing down her throat was the most satisfying sensation she had felt in days. It almost tied with reuniting with Kota after all these years.

Clarke drank her fill until the burning in her throat finally disappeared. She pulled away from the now dead deer under her, staring at the crescent bite mark she left behind on its neck. With a deep sigh, she dug into her pocket for a travel size packet of wipes. She pulled a couple sheets out to wipe off her hands and face. The entire time she did this, she avoided eye contact with Kota.

It wasn’t until she felt that she had cleaned off as much of the hunt as she could that she finally chanced a glance at him. To make sure that he didn’t think something was wrong, she immediately flashed him a bright smile as if everything was okay. After pocketing the packet and the used wipes, she skipped over to him. She reached out for him, running her hands along his fur. “Ready to go?”

They returned to the house sometime after noon. Aunt Teresa arrived first, having mentioned earlier that she needed to head back home so she can get ready for work. By the time they arrived back at the house, the woman had changed and was on her way to her car. She paused to look at the both of them then excused herself to go to work. There was also something about being good and not making a mess in the house, but Clarke dismissed it as her aunt joking around. Once her aunt drove away, she turned to look at Kota. “I can go inside while you change,” she explained then made her way to the entrance of the house.

When she heard Kota step into the house, she was in the kitchen pulling out pots and pans for cooking. “Hi!” she greeted, dropping the pan she had pulled out from the cabinet to run over to him. “Are you hungry? I was thinking that we can have lunch together. I’m not as great at cooking as Rebecca or anything, but I did learn a few dishes while I was away.” She paused, flashing him another smile. “Why don’t you go freshen up while I get started. It shouldn’t take too long.”

She did manage to make some progress with her cooking. Thanks to her supernatural abilities, she was able to prep the ingredients she would need and get it all in pots and pans in record time. When she heard footsteps once more drawing near, she turned her attention away from what she was doing to watch Kota come in. The moment his large frame loomed over the door frame, her smile reappeared. “Feeling better?” she asked before returning her attention back to her task. “I have this recipe memorized from when I was staying in England… I figured after all that running you could use some protein? It’s just a beef stew, but at least I know I’ll be confident enough that I won’t end up poisoning you or something. Plus, you’ll be needed at sundown and I can only assume it has something to do with the pack. It’s the least I could do considering –” Clarke stopped there. She was rambling, she knew that. But she felt compelled to explain herself to Kota. Only, she questioned what she needed to explain. He knew what she was. Was she trying to make up for earlier? For forcing him to be okay with something that he naturally hated? Did she actually force him? He did tell her it was okay.

Before she could give away her sudden feelings of doubt, Clarke turned her back to Kota to once again focus on the pot in front of her. “Go ahead and sit down. It will be ready in a bit. Just needs to sit and simmer and all that fun stuff,” she explained as she grabbed the lid and placed it on the pot. She immediately pulled herself together before turning once again to look at Kota, her smile once more on her face.

“So now that I got the whole hunting thing dealt with, I was thinking of visiting my grandpa soon. Mom gave me his house number before I left and we told him that I would be coming back to Forks, so I’m guessing he’s just waiting for me to contact him,” she started to explain. “I’ve only spoken to him over the phone, but we’ve tried pretty hard to make sure that he doesn’t suspect…anything’s different about us. Do you think he has any suspicions? That’s kind of why I wanted to go hunting now before I see him. I mean, it’s not like I would hurt him or anything. I would never do that—“ She stopped again before she could continue another round of her rambling.

Clarke paused, looking down at her hands nervously. She was feeling awkward again, or hesitant. She never thought she would feel like she was walking on eggshells around him. Years of spilling her heart out through her letters made her think that she could tell him everything. But after two days back in Forks, things felt different. For the first time in years, she wondered if she was really making Kota happy like she thought she was.

After all, they were destined for each other. Some force outside of their control tied them together to the point that it was impossible to live without the other; even if it was Kota that felt it more than she. Even she had to admit that she would do anything for him. Whether it was because of some mystical obligation as his imprintee or to make up for the hurt she caused leaving him. His happiness was what she felt she lived for now, and she wanted nothing more than to stop his pain. They deserved to be as happy together as Ian and Rebecca.

If only it was that simple. Even if she acted otherwise, the evidence was telling her that nothing was like she remembered it to be when she was younger. No one in Kota’s life could overlook the family she was born into. In fact, they made it pretty clear that they wanted to punish her for it.

She opened her mouth as if to say something, but immediately closed it again. To distract her thoughts before they could go any further, she returned to the task of checking on his food. It had sat cooking in the pot long enough. After turning the heat off, she grabbed a bowl from the nearby cabinet and spooned the stew until it was almost full, making sure he got enough of the meat and other ingredients in his portion. She then made herself a bowl; a smaller portion with fewer other ingredients. After placing the lid back on the pot, she carried both of their food to the table to serve Kota his bowl.

“Eat it while it’s still hot. I hope it’s okay,” she told him, taking the seat across from him. Ignoring her own bowl, she waited for him to take a bite.

gVTIm2r.png

ETH5TFt.gif
The uncertainty had been creeping in ever since they officially stepped off the reservation land and into the Winters’ territory. Despite the frequency of his visits over the years he still was not exactly comfortable coming here; not since Clarke had been taken from him. He could physically feel it the moment they had crossed the invisible border between their homes. It was as though their family’s peace treaty weighed down on him as a reminder that he was not welcome here— no wolf was. And Clarke’s aunt’s lack of hospitality only served to further burn the message in. She didn’t want him here anymore than he wanted to be, except that that wasn’t entirely true. Dakota wanted to be anywhere Clarke was and deep down he did yearn for the nostalgic memories of her childhood that he had here. It was just that so much time had passed since then. So much time that he had spent in dangerously deep, dark despair and those wounds wouldn’t heal so quickly.

Clarke hadn’t even been back with him for twenty four hours. If you were to ask the pack they would immediately say they noticed the difference in Dakota’s behavior, but as he and Teresa locked eyes from a good distance away it was clear that while he was happier, he still clung to the anger he had been harboring. The bitter spite that had kept him going all this time. It had been so much easier to pass the blame than to accept his heart wrenching reality when he lost Clarke. He never stopped grieving and had given in to his natural instincts, focusing his rage on hunting vampires as though the entire race was to blame for his broken heart. Where once they had coexisted peacefully, he now felt sick at the concept.

When Clarke had first asked him about going hunting he hadn’t given it a second thought and just immediately agreed. After all they had hunted together when she was a child, why would it be any different now? But Dakota was learning now that he had been naive and blinded by his eagerness to please her. Whereas her scent was a calming blanket that made him feel safe, her aunt reeked of death to him and he stopped a good ways away while the two Winters discussed the prospect of hunting.

He lived to make Clarke happy. She was his entire world. But standing here now was going against every fiber in his body with such a strength that he hadn’t been prepared to have to fight against. If he had to place it, it was a feeling similar to just after Clarke had been born— that desire to protect her. Only now it was contaminated with his raw predatory instincts that had taken over during his years without her and he wouldn’t hesitate to put himself between her and her own family at this point.

He had phased into a wolf by the time Clarke rejoined them outside and he leaned into her touch, eyes shutting briefly as his heart sung at the contact. But at Teresa’s reminder that she was still with them his now golden eyes shot open to watch her as the lowest of growls vibrated in his throat over her interruption. Clarke however did not allow him a moment longer to be upset as she excitedly declared they were racing and she shot off into the woods without looking back. Dakota of course sprang after her not a second later, her vampire aunt slipping from his thoughts as Clarke now commanded his full attention. He refused to let her out of his sight ever again.

With Clarke only being half vampire and Dakota in such poor condition; strength sapped from years of depression, they were fairly evenly matched in terms of speed. Teresa quickly passed both of them though and Dakota fell back a stride so as to keep both Clarke in view rather than running alongside her as he had been. He was her protector after all, he needed to have eyes on her at all times.

The exception to that being when she fed. He had watched as she leapt to her prey, a little taken back at how fast and efficient she was now compared to the last time they had hunted together. But once she went to sink her fangs into the beast he found himself unable to continue watching and turned his head away to instead play lookout, not that there would be a single other soul this far out in the wilderness…even so, his survival instincts were strong with how often he went hunting with the pack. Of course their version of hunting was much different than Clarke’s. They hunted vampires after all, they had to be aware of their surroundings at all times. Vampires were fast and could crush them— even kill them if bitten—

Dakota could feel his stomach clench at her vampiric ways and that feeling then triggered such an unhappy frustration inside him. He truly didn’t used to be affected by Clarke. Not in the slightest, so why was it so hard for him now? It certainly wasn’t just the killing of this deer, after all he had killed and eaten his fair share of animals when the pack was too far out from civilization. In fact he even used to share kills with Clarke when she was first learning to hunt! But it seemed his hatred for her family had extended to her race of being and thus affecting his views of Clarke herself. It was sort of as though he didn’t see her as a vampire, after all she was only half and she didn’t carry that scent of death with her the way the full blooded— or rather lack of blood vampires did. Clarke, his Clarke was still very much human, but all these little moments kept popping up to remind him that she wasn’t. Not really anyways. But...it could be argued that he wasn’t any different. He too was human with unnatural abilities. But ultimately he wasn’t human, he didn’t identify as such and no one in his life viewed him as such. And that might be where all his conflicted feelings stemmed from. How did Clarke view herself now? All her letters had been filled with very human stories. Making friends and going to school and such. Dakota’s brain seemed to have tricked him into expecting that to be the Clarke that had returned to him, but here was reality reminding him that she was still part vampire.

In that moment he vowed to himself to get over this nonsense. Clarke hadn’t changed, and if anything she was staying true to herself. By then he had returned to watching her as she cleaned herself up, but the second her eyes finally made contact with him he got a flash of dejavu and his nightmares popped to the front of his mind. That was truly his biggest fear, to see her beautiful golden eyes turn blood red. But as she made contact he let out a sigh and pushed harder against her hand until he could feel her fingers through his deep fur and against his skin.

The return trip was a fair bit slower paced than the journey out had been. They walked more, Clarke sharing fun stories from her time away or recollecting memories of when she was last here. Without Teresa or the pack with them now, the imprinted pair were able to just enjoy each other’s company and finally the rest of the world and all his responsibilities finally melted away, allowing Dakota to relax and just enjoy every moment...that is until his brutally sharp instincts kicked in again.

At first he thought he was imagining things, but when he caught a brief whiff of an all too familiar scent he glanced over his shoulder back up the mountain as if expecting to see them standing there. But no one was there. He managed to shake the feeling once, twice even, but at the third his brain was screaming at him to stop and investigate. It wasn’t safe to continue, Clarke was in danger.

Wait up a minute...
His pace slowed a half beat but Clarke just merrily continued on, talking as though she hadn’t heard him which prompted Dakota to speed up to catch up to her.
Stop.
That’s right, she couldn’t hear him. Dakota had likely spent more time as a wolf than a human during the years she was gone, and being a wolf meant the pack could still understand him. It was very rare for him to be in a circumstance where the other couldn’t hear his voice in their head. In that case he would just have to vocalize it.
Clarke!!
A soft snarl escaped him and the second she stopped and turned to look at him he moved himself to stand ever so slightly in front of her, taking up a protective stance while his own head was turned away from her, ears perked in the direction from which he could have sworn he had smelled another. But the location was downwind from them by now after how long it had taken to stop Clarke. Dakota didn’t necessarily believe the other presence was a threat so much as he just didn’t like something following them.

But just as he didn’t like being physically followed, he didn’t like being figuratively followed either; this time speaking of the secrets and lies her parents had been spreading ever since they were all in school together. He just stared back at Clarke as she spoke of her grandfather and how hard she’s been keeping secret from him. How hard they’ve been keeping secret from him. That sickening feeling from the woods was settling back in hearing how Clarke’s parents had been handling things. So not only had Sarah stolen Clarke away from him, but she had robbed Clarke of an important relative in her life— of the only human in her life.

The feeling traveled from his stomach to his heart as a pain set in thinking of Clarke’s grandfather who had been abandoned here in Forks just as he had been. It took until Clarke returned with their stew for him to calm himself enough to speak on the subject, ”He knows, Clarke. Your grandfather knows like...everything.” Or the most important bullet points at least, ”He’s known all along.”

How could her parents lie to her like that? Making her believe that her own grandfather didn’t know the big family secret...it was just cruel. But Dakota could piece together their intentions. The less ties she felt to Forks then the easier it would be for them to keep her away. So to make her believe they were protecting her grandfather in a sense, she would be less inclined to use him as a way to return early. After all, had she known that he knew what she was she would have run away at the first chance she got to stay with him because she could have trusted he would shelter her without having a heart attack. But no...her parents lied to her.

It was his turn to avert his eyes when Clarke asked how he knew that, and he picked up his spoon in the moment of silence between them. Oh the irony...here he was getting mad at her parents for feeling the need to lie to protect her, when he was doing just the same. He wasn’t ready to admit just how far he had sunk after she left. He didn’t want to hurt her or make her feel bad with the story of how dark and wild he had been until her grandfather found him.

”You should call him, I can take you over there tomorrow.”

Why not today? Why not right now? Well that was easy to answer. Dakota was tired of sharing Clarke. Since she returned they had spent all their time either with the pack or with Teresa. So rushing off to mend Winters family drama right now was the last thing he wanted to do. Of course if Clarke were to ask then he would be unable to refuse her, but surely she felt similar to him in wanting to just be alone with one another for the first time in literal years. There was finally no one breathing down their necks or giving them disapproving looks. There was no one to keep Dakota on edge and no one to distract Clarke from showering him with her full attention.

”He’ll be happy to see you.” And just like that it was suddenly easier to breathe. While at this time just yesterday a conversation such as this likely would have triggered his anger well out of proportion, being with Clarke truly brought such a calming sensation over him and redirected his rage into a sense of purpose. Not only was it his duty to protect her, but to also make her happy. So while he would like nothing more than to run off with her for all eternity, she still had a life to live and he would see to it that she got everything she wanted out of it.

They didn’t leave the house the rest of the afternoon. Clarke had made her phone call and plans were made to drive into town tomorrow to visit her grandfather. Despite having just eaten, Dakota hungrily ate up all of Clarke’s excitement and joy, his mood lifting tenfold with every passing hour. They talked and laughed, swapped stories and asked about one another. They played games and ran through the house like middle schoolers at a slumber party. But well after the sun initiated her descent they were cuddled up on a corner of the couch and Dakota’s eyes were shut as a contented tiredness overtook him. He exhaled slowly, but then on his inhale just as he prepared to speak there was a distant noise that caused his eyes to flash open and his grip tightened around Clarke’s shoulers.

It was a howl.

He had overstayed his visit and was being called back home, but he wasn’t ready to leave Clarke. He didn’t want to leave her. He wouldn’t leave her. Dakota tried to assure Clarke that it was fine, they didn’t need him. But just after she pointed out that Ian had specifically said he needed to return at sundown there was another howl. This time it was much closer, in fact he was pretty sure it came from just outside the house.

After telling Clarke to stay put he went to investigate and sure enough, there at the forest edge was a large tawny gray wolf waiting for him. Her head low, and submissive, silently asking for him to come back.
“I’m not going.”

They argued back and forth for a minute with Dakota reading the wolf’s body language as clearly as words themselves until he heard footsteps behind him. He didn’t need to turn to know that Clarke had joined them outside. The wolf however reacted to her presence. It was subtle, likely even done subconsciously, but Dakota caught it and not even a second passed before he phased on the spot as emotion flooded all rational thinking from his mind.

His fur stood on the back of his neck and teeth bared as he took a step forward, his head snaking down in an attempt to drive off the threat.
Go back Kaya.
We have to go Kota, Ian said—
All of a sudden it was a flurry of movement. Dakota lunged forward, snapping at her, and Kaya was ready to meet him head on to defend herself. But then just in the nick of time a pale gray, almost white wolf jumped in the middle.

ENOUGH.
It was instant, as soon as Ian snarled out his order both Dakota and Kaya ceased before either made contact. Dakota’s ears had flattened, both his head and tail lowered in submission to the alpha male.
I told you to be back at sundown.
I know but—
It’s time to go, say goodnight to Clarke.

The rest of the pack had joined them by now and Dakota could hear how childish they all thought he was being. But at the same time the newer wolves were sort of shocked to see Dakota acting this way. They had seen him rebel out of anger or sadness, but never in such a way as this. They had never seen him want something so badly before.

What’s the big deal? She’s back isn’t she? Just come back tomorrow.
Nathan would have immediately regretted saying that had Ian not been here, promptly putting himself between Dakota’s gaze and the younger male. But while stern and tired of fighting Dakota over the years, Ian was still patient with him and waited for Dakota to turn around on his own to walk back to where Clarke stood closer to the house.

He nudged her similarly to a dog asking to be pet, only he completely dwarfed her as his muzzle made contact and the only thing that kept her on her feet was her hybrid strength helping her stand her ground. Despite Clarke’s fingers now brushing through his fur, his body language was still so defeated. But his eyes caught hers and he held her gaze with such an intensity, it almost felt like he was silently asking for something. Pleading. Begging.
I don’t want to leave
Dakota.

He flinched in response to his name, the weight of Ian’s word as alpha was crushing him. Dakota let out a low growl, a sort of final attempt to fight for what he wanted, but when Ian snarled in response he had little choice but to back away from Clarke’s comforting touch. He had to go. But he’d be back. He would rush back to her side at the first chance he got.
Let’s go.

sxUU3Wv.png

rosie-tupper-gif-7.gif
“Are you alright, sweetheart?” asked Isaac Jackson, Clarke’s maternal grandfather. His voice was distant despite the lack of space in the truck. At the moment, Clarke was miles away; deep in thoughts that plague her every minute Kota wasn’t around to clear her mind and heart. Thoughts that formed and festered now that she had been back in Forks for almost a month.

Clarke blinked. The trees that zoomed past them were still clear as day for her supernatural sight, but just a second ago she hadn’t even registered a leaf that passed her. In fact, she hadn’t focused on anything in particular. Finally, she looked away from the passenger window to look up at the large man sitting right beside her behind the steering wheel. “I’m sorry. What did you say, Grandpa?”

Her grandfather turned his head briefly to look at her. His eyes immediately read concern. “I asked if you’re alright. You’ve been spacing out since breakfast this morning.” He once more turned to focus on the road as he switched lanes to pass a slower car. “Anything you want to talk about?”

Yes, there was. But it wasn’t that simple. Then again, nothing about her being back in Forks was simple.

It hadn’t taken very long for the honeymoon phase of her return to Forks to fade and for reality to sink in. On the outside though, Clarke gave off an air that everything was okay. Everything was fine. Everything was perfect. She started every single day with her head held high and a smile to fend off any doubts. She told everyone that she was okay. She was fine. Whether it was her grandfather, Rebecca, Scout or Ian. They needn’t have to worry about her. And the same especially applied to Kota. Nothing was more important to Clarke than to reassure her destined love that everything was going to be okay. Everything was going to be fine. Everything was perfect.

But that previous week had been such a challenge to keep up the mantra. That previous week was the first week she saw first hand the cracks in her presence in La Push.

For the most part, the residents of La Push were...tolerant...of her presence. Clarke was aware of the stares and side glances she got when she walked around the reservation, but she decided to ignore it for Kota and Ian’s sake. They were doing so much for her as it was to ensure she got to stay. The last thing she wanted to do to repay Ian’s kindness was cause trouble. But the longer she stayed in the reservation, the more it became just glances and stares.

She wasn’t sure if the tribe knew much about her outside of the half of her they despised. But if they did, they didn’t seem to care that she could hear their whispered talk. People were growing more wary of her stay in the reservation. On countless occasions when the pack was off on assignments, various residents of the reservation came to visit Rebecca to voice their concerns about “that one” staying in her home. This was all usually said when she wasn’t in the room or outside on the porch with the front door closed and spoken in hushed voices. But no matter where she was in the Quinault’s house, she heard every word.

This past week was no different. By now more than half of the tribe had voiced their concerns either to Rebecca or to Ian. All made sure Clarke and Kota were not around. However, Clarke could sense a shift in the feelings around the reservation. She didn’t need her special abilities to know that the tribe was restless. She could probably figure out why. The upcoming week was the next council meeting among Ian and the elders. Surely by now the elders have heard the concerns of their people and were ready to discuss them with one another and with Ian.

This was the first time Clarke doubted her decision to stay in the reservation. With such tension among the tribe, she wondered if Ian’s protection as Alpha would continue to be enough. Especially when they were constantly out on assignments.

The assignments were another issue entirely.

By now, Clarke had accepted that her time with Kota was limited so long as the pack needed to go out on patrols. She accepted this. If Rebecca could tolerate being separated from Ian, she could learn to tolerate it as well. But of course, that came with its own complications. She missed Kota terribly. Every week the pack just seemed to need to go out on patrols that drove them far away from the reservation. The ones that took Kota days to return to her were the worst. Rebeca did the best she could to alleviate the sadness that took over Clarke when he left, but it only lasted for as long as they were together. The moment Clarke was left alone with her thoughts, she drowned in how much she missed him and wished he was back in her arms.

Kota’s absence was not the only problem she worried about when the pack went out on patrols and assignments.

In the beginning when she first moved back to Forks, Clarke was so preoccupied making up for lost time with Kota to notice too much outside of their preordained bubble. All that mattered to Clarke was her wolf and making up for all the hurt she caused being kept away from him. At first, she thought she was successful. Rebecca had her believing that Kota’s behavior and demeanor had shifted almost entirely upon her return. While, yes, that statement was fairly true, it came with some loose ends still clinging on from their years apart.

The first was Kota’s grandparents. Clarke’s vague memories of her relationship with Thom and Karol prior to her leaving was a neutral one. They accepted the situation brought upon their grandson. After all, Thom had imprinted on Karol during his time. They knew not to question destiny’s plans for any wolf in their tribe. If Kota was always destined to imprint on Clarke, it was just something they had to accept. However, that acceptance faded every year Clarke did not return; for Thom especially. Karol had her thoughts and feelings about Clarke’s return, but Clarke knew they were oftentimes outweighed by the relief the woman felt knowing her grandson was coming back to them. As such, she once again tolerated Clarke’s presence in the reservation, but she also did not make any effort to interact with her when they crossed paths. Thom, on the other hand, was far more unforgiving. As one of the elders in the council, Clarke could sense that Thom shared the opinions of his fellow elders about her return to Forks. Or, more specifically, her decision to stay in the reservation and the fact that she roped their Alpha into agreeing. The rare occasions she ever saw or crossed paths with Thom, Clarke could sense exactly how he felt for her. He would never forgive her for what she had done to his grandson for the past seventeen years. Destiny be damned.

And then...there was Kaya.

Kaya was the culmination of everything that made the previous week difficult for Clarke. Granted, it was nothing she did outright. On the contrary, the female wolf has done her best to be accepting. While the rest of the pack continued to tread carefully while Clarke was around, Kaya tried to make her feel included. But Clarke couldn’t feel the level of gratitude she should for the one she was told is Kota’s best friend. Not when she knew what she knew. The lights told her everything. Kaya was in love with Kota and those feelings were not fading away each day Clarke stuck around. In fact, these feelings were growing stronger every time she saw her around Kota.

In the beginning, Clarke tried to ignore the implications of the knowledge she held about Kaya. After all, Kota was hers. He belonged to her. If the universe wanted Kota to reciprocate Kaya’s feelings, it would never have connected him to her. But that week was different. She couldn’t avoid or ignore it any longer.

It all started the day the pack was scheduled to leave for one of their longer assignments. They were all having dinner at Ian and Rebecca’s. Clarke had been in her room while the others were arriving and didn’t leave to join until she knew Kota was there. As soon as she heard his voice, she was up and ready to spend these last hours with him before he had to leave her once again. Only, she was stopped dead in her tracks when she saw him talking to Kaya. Initially it wouldn’t have bothered her. After all, they were friends. And despite the tension between them the first few days after Clarke returned, they seemed to have made up. She prepared herself to ignore how Kaya practically glowed due to her feelings for Kota. But just as she made it halfway down the hallway, Kaya’s attention momentarily averted from Kota and she and Clarke locked eyes. The moment was so brief were Clarke not supernatural she probably would have missed it. In that instant their eyes locked, Clarke watched as the glow around Kaya dimmed to make room for a brief flash of another light she had not been expecting. Then the flash vanished as Kota turned to find Clarke standing there. Even though the flash never appeared again for the rest of the night, Clarke could not stop thinking about it. For the first time since she returned to Forks, Kaya allowed herself to be angry.

After everything that happened in the reservation, Clarke used the fact that the pack was gone to her advantage; she decided to stay with her grandfather. Luckily the assignment fell on a weekend so she didn’t have to explain much to her grandfather when she called to ask if she could come over. Not that he ever really asked for an explanation. After finally meeting in person all those weeks ago, Isaac Jackson has taken every possible opportunity to spend time with his granddaughter. And Clarke wholeheartedly reciprocated the feelings. As her only family in Forks, Clarke was not going to waste any chance of having her grandfather in her life now that he was more than just a voice and a photo.

So we fast forward to now, Clarke sitting in the passenger seat of her grandfather’s truck as they drove back to his house. Her grandfather still waited patiently for her to respond to his inquiry. Clarke’s gaze slid up briefly above him. He was worried about her. She sighed, leaning back into her seat to stare at the road ahead of them. “I’m fine,” Clarke lied. She turned to look at him once again, offering him a gentle smile. “Just...tired I guess? We’ve had a long day.”

That weekend both Clarke and her grandfather tackled cleaning up her mom’s old bedroom. Since her return to Forks, her grandfather always extended an invitation for her to stay overnight. His efforts to spend more time with his granddaughter past whatever dinner they agreed to have together. Suffice it to say, he was very excited when she finally took him up on his offer. And to give him a whole weekend no less. However, what they both realized was how unprepared he was for her stay. See, while Isaac may not have moved much in Clarke’s mom’s old room, that also included not cleaning it. As such, much of the room was covered in dust and almost all of the extra bedding needed to be washed.

They were fairly busy the whole weekend. When they weren’t cleaning the room, they were out shopping for new bedding and other items needed to make the room feel more homey. Her mother’s lamps definitely needed an upgrade.

As they pulled into the driveway, Clarke once more fell into the habit she picked up since the first time she laid eyes on the house. She sat quietly for a moment to just gaze up at the house. When she was newly born, she visited the house once before her aging made it impossible to see her grandfather. The memory of that day was nothing more than just an influenced image in her mind stemming from the photos she had with her when they were living in Europe. Now that it was right in front of her, Clarke wanted to etch it into her mind forever. Every nook and cranny of it. She never wanted to ever feel like she would forget the house ever again. Then the moment was over and she climbed out of the car to help her grandfather unload the stuff packed away in the back.

“You know, you really did not need to buy a new computer, Grandpa. Your laptop works just fine,” Clarke commented as she followed behind her grandfather. He carried a large box with the picture of a white desktop computer on the front. “Besides, I can always just bring the laptop I left at the Winters house.”

Her grandfather wasn’t having any of her excuses. “I’ve had that laptop since your mom moved out after the wedding. If we’re going to have more video calls with her now that you’re here, I would feel much better knowing the damn thing wasn’t going to crap out on us.” Clarke paused at the bottom of the stairs to watch her grandfather. She often forgot how similarly he and her mom spoke. When Sarah Winters wasn’t around the rest of the vampire family, she tended to speak just like her father did now. It was comforting and made her miss her mother.

“Okay, well then why are we putting it in Momma’s room? Shouldn’t it be downstairs or something?”

Her grandfather stopped and turned to look back at her. At that same moment, a flash of light caused her to blink. Clarke’s head tilted to the side curiously. Why was he suddenly feeling embarrassed?

“Well...the thing is, sweetheart. I—” The home phone downstairs started ringing before he could finish. “Here, bring this to your mother’s room. I’ll be right back.” He passed the box over to Clarke before rushing back downstairs to the kitchen. He didn't even check to make sure she had a secure hold of it. Clarke watched him vanish down the stairs with a sigh. She once again forgot that he knew everything about the Winters family secret. Maybe it was because of the fact that he just seemed to accept it now instead of being weirded out by it. It was definitely a feeling she was not familiar with now….

Clarke laid the computer box on top of the freshly made bed, staring at the large rectangular box laying on the floor where her mom’s old desk used to be. The old desk was actually right outside the bedroom window along with the old drawer that used to sit right next to the bathroom door. The new drawer was scheduled to arrive on Monday.

Clarke took a seat next to the box as her ears picked up on the low grumbles of her grandfather’s voice. She hadn’t been paying attention when he first answered the phone call, but once his voice dropped to what she thought was a whisper, she curiously wondered who was on the other end. But instead of giving in to her curiosity, she waited in the room until her grandfather returned.

The look on his face when he appeared at the open door only made Clarke more curious. He looked humored by something, but at the same time there was that twinge of caution at the corner of his eyes. Clarke quickly looked above him. He was definitely more cautious though. “That was Kota. He said they finished their assignment early and are back at La Push?” Clarke held her breath. She wasn’t expecting the pack to come back until tomorrow night and had plans to be back in the reservation before then. Since Kota called her grandfather’s house, he already knew she wasn’t at Ian and Rebecca’s.

Her grandfather continued when she didn’t make a comment. “He’s, uh, asked me if he could come pick you up. He’ll be here in an hour.”

Clarke’s eyes narrowed. There was a shift in her grandfather’s emotions. “To take me back to La Push?” Clarke inquired.

“To be honest, he didn’t say where he was taking you. Just that he would be here in an hour.” There was that shift again. He was definitely keeping something from her, she knew this now. He was fearful of something. Typically this kind of fear was in relation to keeping a secret and trying not to reveal it.

“Does he know I’m staying here for the weekend?” Clarke continued.

“He does.” Her grandfather paused. “I don’t mind, sweetheart.”

“But,” Clarke shifted on her spot on the bed, “we were going to spend the rest of today putting together the desk and all.”

He scoffed with a silly look on his face, swatting his hand as if this whole situation wasn’t a problem for him. “I may be old, sweetheart, but I think I’m capable of putting together a desk on my own.” His expression softened when they locked eyes. “Clarke, it’s okay. Kota is very anxious to see you. And I’m sure you feel the same way because of your...connection.”

He wasn’t wrong, of course. The second he said Kota’s name Clarke immediately felt her heart quicken. Even if she wasn’t purely excited to see him considering everything that happened this past week, she was still just as anxious to see him again. In between the times she managed to distract herself, she missed him something fierce.

“Why don’t you go and freshen up while you wait for him? I’ll be downstairs ordering a pizza for dinner.” After Clarke gave him a small nod, he closed the bedroom door behind him. Clarke remained on the bed until his footsteps faded away at the bottom of the stairs.

Clarke was downstairs when she heard Kota’s car turning onto her street about an hour later. She was already opening the front door as he pulled up in front of the house. Just seeing his face from his car window made her heart feel lighter. God she missed him so much. Just as she skipped down the steps, she suddenly stopped when Kota stepped out of his car and walked around it to the passenger side. Her head tilted to the side curiously.

“Um,” Clarke started, “Aren’t you a little overdressed just to be picking me up?” She eyed his outfit closely. Compared to the v-neck shirt and skinny jeans she changed into, they were definitely not dressed for the same occasion.

Clarke’s eyes shifted back and forth from his outfit to above his head. His straight face did not cover the blinding emotions he was feeling standing in front of her. But even with her awareness of how he was feeling, she still didn’t understand why he was feeling them. Then he explained to her that she should probably change into something else; something nice. That honestly didn’t make anything more clear.

“Are we going somewhere?” she asked, curiously.

“Yeah,” he said, “a date.”

That was honestly not what she expected despite the outfit now making sense. Suffice it to say, Clarke didn’t think they had the time nor were at the point in their reviving relationship to go on a date. And yet, here was Kota, dressed so handsomely proposing they go on one that he had probably been thinking about far longer than she could imagine.

With such little time to really prepare for this date she just found out about, Clarke did the best she could with the one dress she packed for the weekend. She wasn’t even given much time to fix her hair. Instead, she pulled back her blonde locks into a half ponytail. When she returned downstairs, she found Kota and her grandfather standing outside talking. Her grandfather had an amused look on his face. The fear from earlier was gone. So he knew all along about this plan.

“Kota,” her grandfather started. “Remember, Clarke won’t be eighteen for another week. So I want her back before midnight.” Even though his voice sounded stern, he still had that silly look on his face. And it did not go away after she climbed into Kota’s car.

As they drove away from her grandfather’s house, Clarke watched it get smaller and smaller through her side mirror; once more retaining it in her memory. But then at the first stop sign, she felt Kota’s warm hand take hers and she was suddenly distracted by the fact that they were once again reunited. Her smile brightened at the thought and she placed her other hand on top of his.

“So, are you going to tell me where it is you’re taking us? Or is this going to be like my birthday plans? A total secret that only you can know.”

Back
Top Bottom