Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Looking to improve.

komasan95

Super-Earth
Ok so basically I feel like my writing is kinda bland. So I’m interested on any pointers on how to flesh out my writing.

"That was indeed the deal hotshot." Cal took the piece of crumpled up paper and shoved it in his pocket. As he looked at James. "And you're not exactly that pretty I'll tell you that much."

The biggest thing I could see is being more descriptive. You have your character speaking though how exactly is it delivered? Is it in a spiteful manner? Sarcastic? Just how do you see it being delivered? When you mention him looking at James it could also be good to include details of how he looked at him. Its those little details that really helps to bring to life your dialog and create a better understanding how dialog is being delivered while also giving more of an impression of the character as a whole.

For example...
"That was the deal hotshot." Cal snapped back at James. His hands griped upon the crumbled piece of paper dismissively, simply shoving it into his pocket without a glance. His gaze drifted upon James looking him over from head to toe. His eyes meeting back up with James quite coldly showing little interest in the man.

"And you're not exactly that pretty I'll tell you that much."

When it comes to the dialog, it could be useful to add more punctuation to better deliver intent. For example

"That was indeed the deal hotshot!"
Vs
"That was indeed the deal, hotshot.".

The first gives the impression it was a snappy remark back with the exclamation mark making it come off snappy. The second on the other hand will be read a bit more slow and having a rhythm with a pause calling him hotshot which can come off as it was spoken slower and with an air of sarcasm at the name being used.

"That was indeed the deal hotshot." Cal took the piece of crumpled up paper and shoved it in his pocket. As he looked at James. "And you're not exactly that pretty I'll tell you that much."
Is that an example of an entire post?

So far from this post and your opening post, what I am feeling is;
Not enough depth and description. Even your request is vague as I wasn't sure what about your writing you wanted feedback on.

Why is James not considered that pretty by Cal?
What does James mean to Cal?
What is this deal all about?
Do James and Cal have a previous relationship of some kind?
Where is this conversation taking place?

Back
Top Bottom