Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

𝘿𝘼𝙒𝙉 𝘾𝙃𝙊𝙍𝙐𝙎 | A Horror/Mystery Game | Currently Recruiting

whitechapel

ᵂᴵᵀᴴᴰᴿᴬᵂᴺ
Withdrawn

AN ORDINARY STORY ABOUT AN ORDINARY TOWN
HORROR | DRAMA | MYSTERY

WHAT IS DAWN CHORUS?
Dawn Chorus is a freeform group game that blends supernatural horror, mystery, drama, and magical realism. It's heavily inspired by the TV show Twin Peaks, but other points of reference may include True Detective, Welcome to Night Vale, The Leftovers, Kentucky Route Zero, House of Leaves by Mark Z Danielewski, Gravity Falls, and even Stranger Things to a lesser extent.

The game falls under the 'advanced lit' (for lack of a better term) umbrella of roleplaying. We also welcome and encourage experimental/meta forms of storytelling ranging from fourth wall breaks to the utilization of audio/video elements. We keep things firmly rooted to a plot heavy, character driven narrative that focuses more on story than smut.

This was all born out of a desire to basically create something unique and ambitious that's genuinely unlike anything else on BMR. It's as much an art project as it is a roleplay and, yes, I know exactly how pretentious that sounds, but trust me: It's really, really fun.

WHAT IS DAWN CHORUS ABOUT?
The game takes place in the small town of Dawn Chorus, TN, located in the Southern Appalachian mountains along the North Carolina border. The story follows the various inhabitants of Dawn Chorus in the days and weeks following the disappearances of four prominent town members. In the wake of these disappearances, increasingly bizarre and outright supernatural occurrences begin to pervade the sleepy little town as it becomes the unlikely battleground for a group of malevolent entities vying for dominion over the land.

That sounds pretty weird, right? Yeah. It is. Ultimately, it's just a story about a small town and the people who live there as they contend with things they can't possibly understand. There's an overarching plot, but for the most part, the game is a character driven experience and made up of several different stories being told at once. For more information on everything that's happened so far, check out our Story So Far thread.

WHO CAN I PLAY?
You can play a human being of any gender, sexuality, color, creed, or age that you deem appropriate. We're all inclusive here and LGBTQ+ friendly. Supernatural beings aren't allowed as players, but that doesn't mean your character can't have supernatural elements attached to them. Dawn Chorus is a town full of eccentrics, so don't be afraid to get a little bit weird with it.

HOW MANY CHARACTERS AM I ALLOWED TO PLAY?
You're allowed to play as many as you want! and as many as you can handle! As long as the character is frequently used and a part of the story, there's no limit.

HOW IS THE GAME STRUCTURED?
The game loosely simulates the structure of a television show. We divide the story up into 'seasons' that cover a certain number of in game days/weeks. Each season has a beginning, a middle, and an end (usually with a 'finale' style ending that builds cliffhangers and leaves a lot of questions unanswered). This is followed by a brief break before the next season begins. Along the way, events both big and small happen that affect the overarching plot and story.

WHAT IS THE OOC COMMUNITY LIKE?
We're a bunch of dorks, man. There's a Dawn Chorus Discord server where we do most our plotting and conversating. It's basically a room full of weirdos making dick jokes and talking about increasingly dumb stuff... but we're a lovable bunch and we welcome anyone who might want to join us with open arms. Basically, we're sweethearts. I promise. Don't be scared. Shh.

THIS IS A SMUT SITE! WHERE'S ALL THE SMUT?!
SO! As a rule of thumb, smut and sex scenes should only really happen if they add something to the plot or the characters involved. That's a feature, not a bug, and kind've plays into the whole ethos of the game. Smut ain't the goal here. Sex scenes can happen, no one minds and we're all adults, but it's definitely not the defining feature of the game. In other words, if you're just looking for a place to write sexy stuff about sexy people doing sexy things, this might not be the right fit for you.

WHAT'S THE PACING LIKE?
Purposefully slow. We like to take our time, take it easy. There's never any real rush, nobody is going to get mad at you if you take a week or two to reply, we don't like to hassle each other for posts, and we try to keep things as laidback as possible. Real life always comes first and we're all about as patient as it gets. Personally, I aim to do one post per week for each of my characters, but that doesn't always happen and that's just fine.

OKAY, I'M IN! WHAT NOW?
Oh hey! Awesome, that's great to hear! First and foremost, mosey on over to our forum and do some reading. Get yourself acquainted with our various rules, the current cast, and so forth. If you're still interested after all of that, fill out a character application and send it over to @chap. Once I've given it a read and approved it, I'll pass it on to the current members of the game to approve as well. If everyone is happy with your app, congratulations! You're in! You'll get a Discord invite and you can start writing at your earliest convenience!

RULES
1a. Follow the sitewide rules.

1b. The Golden Rule: Don't be a dick.

1c. The Other Golden Rule: Don't be a creep.

2. Communication is key. Communication is everything. Know your fellow players. Interact with them. Plan and plot with them. Don't just wait for things to happen.

3. No cliques/favoritism. We're all equals here.

4. The GM is @chap. Ask him anything. He's laidback. I promise.

5. This game is inclusive and welcomes all genders, all colors, and all sexualities. Stop on by.

6. As a rule of thumb, smut and sex scenes should only happen if they add something to the story or the characters involved. Smut for the sake of smut isn't really the vibe.

7. This game keeps one foot solidly planted in the horror genre. That means themes involving violence, gore, and psychological distress may be present. Trigger warnings always apply.

8. Slightly related to the above, if your character is involved in a violent or non-consensual encounter, consent of all players involved is required.

9. In regards to smut and violence, this isn't the place for kinks that may be considered overly 'extreme'. When in doubt, ask chap.

10. On the subject of post length, I don't like the idea of enforcing anything too rigid. As long as your post adds to a scene or provides insight into your character(s), the length of the post doesn't matter all that much. That being said, take some pride in your writing. Shoot for the stars.

11. I also don't like the idea of enforcing a posting rate requirement. Real life always takes precedence and, historically speaking, this game moves at a slow pace. While it would certainly be appreciated if these times of low involvement were communicated with the group, I don't see a required posting rate as necessary or good for the game. That being said, if I don't hear from you for a while, I may check in to make sure everything is okay.

12. This goes back to the Golden Rule, but should really go without saying: No godmodding. No controlling other player's characters without their consent. No trying to make everything about your character at all times.

13. Don't stress. Have fun. Write cool stuff.

Last edited:
revamped thread.
we're currently open and recruiting, but new characters won't be brought in until next season.
if you're interested or have any questions, feel free to reach out.

annnd just like that, we're finished with our first season.
the game is going on a three or four week break.
that being said, if you're interested in writing with us for season two, feel free to reach out!
♡​

Alright, I'll bite. Tentatively. Give me a couple of days to look into stuff and all.

Hey Benny! Great to hear. 🤠 I'll be updating the Story So Far thread today with all of the latest happenings, but other than that, pretty much everything should be up to date. If you have any questions at all, feel free to reach out to me!

What's good, gang?

We just launched our second season. It's going to be pretty rad, I promise. If anyone out there is interested in giving this weird little story a go, feel free to reach out.

Love,
chap

What it do, buckaroos?

Season 2 is officially underway after a slow-ish start. We're looking for two or three more members to round out the roster. As always, if anyone is interested in giving this a go or looking for more information, feel free to get with me.

Love,
chap

One more bump, for goodness sake.
Now with 'intro video' just for funsies.

Love,
chap

Back
Top Bottom