Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Light of the Dragon Queen w/Captain Bond

Carleth was starting to think she was having a completely different conversation than he was. "Hey, I'm not gonna murder you just because one person says so. No matter how powerful they are. My legitimacy to claim the throne would be built upon salt and sand if I retake it in cold blood. Now tell me why this is happening! Why does the Goddess want you dead?!" He shook her shoulder roughly, trying to snap her out of whatever was causing her to say these things.

The queen stares at him, then she sighs as she releases his grasp on her. “I see, fine. I have something that she fears, a magical item that has the power to slay beings of divinity themselves. Dragons are the closest being to match the Gods, why do you think we are so feared?”

"If you're asking why they're feared by mortals, it's because they have all of this power, as you so adroitly pointed out. If you're asking why they're feared by the gods, probably because they're capable of creating such an artifact, and because the gods do not wish to share their spots at the top of the celestial pecking order. Sound about right?"

"...right, if you wanted, you could've used it to slay the Gods themselves, however, it would've required my life for it, would have been more practical. It seems that you are much too noble." She pointed it out. "Or is it that you have found another Godslayer?"

"Neither. I simply remembered our childhood together, and believe that you deserve a chance to tell your side of the story before I commit an act I will have to live with for the rest of my life. I would not be a very good person if I just slew my best friend, now would I?" He smiled at her, the first time he had done so in many, many years.

She stared at him, then turned away from him. “Fine, do what you think is right. But even if you do nothing, there would be greater consequences.” She warns him, but it isn’t a threat to him. “Just remember this, you might become an outkast if you are seen with me.”

"I don't intend to do nothing. I intend to ask the Goddess why you deserve death. In the event her answer is found wanting...where is this artifact? The one that could harm Her?" The last thing Carleth would want to do was harm the Goddess, but if She wanted his childhood friend dead for a less-than-just reason, did She really deserve his loyalty? So if She tried to hurt or kill him for wanting a good reason to do this, he needed to be able to defend himself.

The queen sighs as she turns away from him, closing her eyes as she thought of his good nature and how much she can tell him without making the others suspicious of her. They are surrounded, or Carleth is blessed by the goddess and she could be looking at them as well, so she remains silent on the matter and is still cold towards him.

"I can't help you if you remain silent," Carleth said, his expression growing more frustrated by the second. "There is much that I do not understand about this, and I thought I could trust you to tell the truth. I am no longer certain the one who put me up to this is capable of being truthful about it. So if you want to live, explain this. Now. For the love I used to bear you, if nothing else."

Back
Top Bottom