Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Light of the Dragon Queen w/Captain Bond

UnicornHorn

Mystical Artifact
Castle Dragonhead stands proudly over a lake surrounded by the lush red mountain. It has experienced many rulers, and it’s current queen lies within on her throne, waiting and pondering. She is dragonkin of the highest pedigree, surrounded by onyx and other stones and gems. watching a crystal ball as it displays a group of humans approaching the castle. Uninvited guests would be greeted with subjects that would protect the citadel.

Carleth led his group of adventurers through the city, looking to both sides as Gryffon, Inuart, Manah and his sometimes-girlfriend, always-friend with benefits Aurioch flanked him on either side. Sure enough, it didn't take long for the evil Dragon Queen to figure out they were there to end her terror and sent minions to try to stop them. "Ah, killing evil shit. My favorite part of adventuring," Carleth said as he charged forward into battle.

The castle’s minions are numerous, dark creatures made of shade and magic throwing themselves at the hero party, but the group seem to fare very well. They are blessed by the goddess of this world to enact her will, and it is to kill the dragon queen.

When the proverbial dust settled, Carleth rolled his shoulders and cracked his neck like a badass. "Huh. And here I thought this would be a challenge. Come on, the throne room is this way." He led his group through the castle, confident that his victory was close at hand.

The shade minions were easily defeated, but that is not all that has inhabited the castle. Shades can become more powerful and harder to defeat, taking the form of dangerous creatures. Two shades in the form of Monitor Lizards are created as soon as the smaller shades fell in battle, blocking the path.

"And here I thought that the Queen would be the only worthy challenger here!", Carleth said, as confident as could be as he brandished his blade and charged the shades. The others roared approval and followed him, joining battle with the giant lizard-shaped shades.

The two beasts attacked the group, but the band of heroes were blessed by the goddess, who has blessed their weapons with the power to defeat great evil. The two beasts were still very strong, as the shadows are guardians of the castle, so they are giving it their all.

Carleth swung and dodged and parried with all his might. Finally, after a great fight, the beasts were slain, although the party seemed rather worn out. "When we kill this bitch, I'm gonna sleep for a week," Gryffon complained, and the others murmured their agreement. After each of them downed a potion that would give them the stamina they needed to finish the job, they all moved on, approaching the throne room. Carleth kicked the door down. "By the will of the Goddess, your reign of terror is at an end!"

The queen is still waiting for the intruders, staring at them with indifference as she is on her throne. “If it isn’t the deposed prince and the goddesses lapdogs.” She doesn’t seem that she would fight, as she waves her arms as silver sand falls from the ceiling and into the ground. “I can’t come closer just yet. If you are truly that strong, then you would have no problem facing a Silver Manticore…”

They all had anticipated the Queen would have one more trick up her sleeve, and swiftly engaged it in combat. Several times it seemed one or more of them would fall, but after several grueling minutes, they stood victorious. Carleth pointed his blade at the Dragon Queen. "Now, you die!"

The queen sighs as she stands up from her throne. “Such impudence.” She walks down the steps. “Fine, little prince. Death it is.” She raises her hand as a whip forms into her grip, and with the first crack sends a magical surge at the group that would knock them back if they were lesser of strength.

Carleth parried the magical surge almost casually, then charged the Queen and cut sections off of the whip with his holy sword one by one until only the handle remained, using his free hand to swat it from her grip, kicking her to the floor and standing over her with his foot on her chest and his sword tip pressing her chin back. "As you are of royal lineage, if you have last words, we are honor-bound to record and repeat them. Speak them now, if you have them, or forever hold your silence."

She is on her back, but she doesn’t seem to be fighting back, accepting her fate as she has lost. “...Very well, finish me quickly.” She simply said to him, If he were to pay attention to her right hand, there would be a silver band ring with a small sapphire. if he would remember it, it is the very same ring he gave to her when he was a young boy.

Carleth looked at her, looked at the hand with the silver band, looked back on all the memories, all the little moments they had shared as children. He lowered his weapon and bade the others wrap her in special chains that would be the only things that could bind her. "We will decide your fate later," was all he said as he started to search the dragon queen's hoard for anything useful, such as weapons or armor.

The group is surprised that he decided to spare the dragon queen, especially Aurioch. “What are you doing? The goddess demands her death, her being alive would cause problems in the future!” She pointed out that it was their mission to kill her as soon as they met.

"If she has a problem with this, she can take it up with me herself!", Carleth shouted, sheathing his holy blade. "Search her hoard. Tell me if anything is useful or valuable."

The queen is surprised by this, she is ready for death, but he spares her. “You are a fool! Killing me would grant you immense power, finish what you have started!” She shouted angrily at him.

Carleth looked down at her, and said, "No. There's something off about all this. A Goddess that I've never heard of suddenly claiming you're evil? How long have we known each other? I refuse to believe things are as cut-and-dried as they seem. Something strange is going on, but we need to appear to be doing something while we figure out what. So you'll stay bound but alive." He turned to his party members. "The hoard. Anything interesting?"

“Huh, there isn’t really much treasure to be found, iit must have been moved before our arrival. But we got what we could gather.” The archer said as she has a sack of gold coins and other things. “So, we are going to take the queen to the goddess?”

"Yes. We take her to the Goddess directly. Or so it shall seem. Let's move out!!" Carleth started to lead the party from the throne room, and whispered in the Queen's ear, "We'll get to the bottom of this. Together."

Last edited:
The group is confused by this decision to keep her alive, but who are they to question what he has to say, they take the loot and leave the castle, finding a wagon where they can put the captive queen to take back to the human lands to cast her judgment.

Carleth ended up in the back of the wagon with the Queen, having the others either drive the wagon or ride their horses as outriders. "Your Grace, what did you do to draw the ire of the Goddess? I wish to hear your side of the story. I owe you that much," he said, holding up the hand that bore the silver sapphire ring, the bindings clinking as he did so.

The queen looked at him, then she gave an answer. “Why else? I have done terrible things, of course the goddess would be angry. I have razed kingdoms, took lives, and caused misery. Your first mistake is keeping me alive.” She removes her hand from him. “I’m sure you don’t need a reminder.”

"Something is not right, though. No one knew who or what razed these kingdoms and slaughtered these people, and now suddenly the Goddess says it's you? Surely She would have taken action earlier?" Carleth looked at her with sympathy. "Why are you so keen on dying? I refuse to believe this is so cut-and-dried as the Goddess makes it sound. There has to be more to it."

“You know, it would’ve been easier if you were to follow your intended fate. You could’ve restored your rightful place and avenged your father’s death.” She said, as she looks out the window. “I do not understand this…”

Back
Top Bottom