Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Nothing is What it Seems... (Degu x Shadow)

She nearly cowered upon realizing how much taller he was than her, but she held fast and kept his gaze.

"I don't care about the house and I think we both know it." She stomped her foot lightly before straightening out and placing her hands on her hips. "I want to go outside without some giant cat trying to eat me. And a drink, for god's sake. This entire thing is liable to give me a heart attack otherwise." She then spun on her heel and began to walk before she froze, turning back with an over exaggerated sigh.

"...I have no idea where I'm going. Lead the way."

"Alright. If you want to get Ao, I'll put on some shoes. As for drinks... We don't really have many options up here. Some rum. Vodka. Rakija. The rest we keep in a fully stocked bar on the first floor though, if those aren't your taste."

Going in through the same door as last night, he veered to the right and grabbed a pair of hiking boots from the bottom of his closet before carrying them to the entry way and putting them on along with a light vest. He was glad he'd already changed into more comfortable clothes sometime during the night. The casual attire allowed a greater range of movement and if he got a little dirty, it wouldn't ruin them like it would one of his suits...

Waiting for her in the hall, he laced up the boots before turning towards her once more. "Did you find what you wanted? Or should we hit the bar before heading out?"

"Fine." Alexai was still seething as he found Ao and set her on her shoulder, perking up at the mention of alcohol. "To be honest, I don't care. As long as it does the job, I'll be happy." Happy wasn't really the correct word for the situation. She followed after him promptly, scowling when he paused to finish dressing.

"Yes, I would very much like to 'hit the bar', as you say. Nothing beats drinking outdoors when things go to shit."

He opened a door to the left of the back door, walking past a large laundry area before pushing a button between two double doors. There was a soft ding before the door opened and he stepped in, holding it open so she could join him.

"There are stairs as well but there are so many steps, we mostly just use those for formal events. Since we'll be doing a lot of walking today, I didn't think you'd mind skipping those."

Once she was in, he let the door close and pressed the button for the ground floor, leading the way out of the corridor and into a massive room. He flipped on one of a series of switches and the wall sconces on the right side of the room flicked on, casting a soft glow on that half while the other side remained dark. What was visible of the space was lavishly decorated in white, soft blues, and silver, though the center of the room was mostly empty. There were a few tables with chairs on either side directly in front of them while up above there were a myriad of reflections as the light bounced off the chandeliers- a larger one in the center, flanked by two smaller ones on either side.

Shin-ah veered to the right towards the bar, grabbing a metal water bottle from below. Unscrewing the cap, he sat it in front of him before looking at her from over the counter and stepping to one side. "Let me know what you'd like. We have beer, wine, whiskey... Whatever you wish. Or if you'd rather, I'd be glad to mix something up for you."

"I worked fourteen hour days, I think I can manage a flight of stairs." She pouted slightly and got in after him before casting her eyes to the floor. The ding rang in her ears with a annoying echo that she definitely could have gone without.

"Well, at least it's pretty." Her tone dripped sarcasm as she examined the room they'd arrived in, although her expression changed when she spotted the bar itself. "Oh, good. There's hard liquor like you promised." She took a seat at the bar and watched him curiously as he moved around and offered to make her a drink.

"You think... That I just want one drink?" She looked perplexed and shook her head, standing and vaulting herself fluidly over the bar counter and landing on the other side before looking through the bottles. "Whiskey is fine." She selected a bottle and tucked it under her arm, then hopped back over and gestured to him impatiently.

"Please don't tell me it's bad for me, or I'm not allowed. If I'm going to be your prisoner, I'm damn well going to drink what I want. Now, I want to go outside."

Well... May as well follow suit.

Stashing the water bottle back under the counter, he grabbed a fifth of rum- making a note for himself in his phone to add them to the grocery list as he walked over through some doors on the right. A massive kitchen spread out in front of them and he grabbed an insulated bag from a nearby closet before packing his bottle inside along with fixings for sandwiches and an assortment of snacks from the cabinets. Peeling an orange, he tossed the rind in a can before heading out yet another set of doors. This space was large as well, though only half as big as the first room, and a lot brighter due to the massive south-facing windows.

He pulled apart slices from the orange, eating them one by one as he exited out the front door- holding it open for her to follow him out. A large circle drive spread out in front of them with a fountain in the center, but he ignored it and turned right at the base of the stairs, following a cobblestone path around the building and through a garden. Tall hedges surrounded the space forming a small maze of sorts, with small open areas for private gatherings or relaxation dotting the paths as he wound his way through the foliage.

Pulling a few stray weeds as he went along, he tossed them into a small pond in the center as he crossed over a little wooden bridge. Large koi fish nibbled at them curiously as they passed overhead, entering the north end and finally exiting out the other side. Here, white rail fences divided a large field into sections, while a red and white building stood on a hill in the distance. Several large heads looked up at them; Their brown eyes watching them curiously as Shin-ah approached the fence. He clucked softly with his tongue, gaze softening as they trotted over. The jostled each other as they nickered at him, each vying for attention while a few sniffed hopefully at the bag resting at his hip.

Scratching a few forelocks gently, he glanced over at her from his shoulder. "None of them bite, though the black one you'll need to be a bit careful around. He has no concept of personal space... Or size for that matter."

Oh, great, he was going to drink with her. She wrinkled her nose at the smell of food, trying to ignore the gnawing of her stomach as she followed impatiently after him. She was hungry. At least the house was beautiful, and as she started toward the fountain she realized he was turning. So much for getting to choose where they went, apparently? The sight of the garden took her breath away, the smell of the fresh air countering everything else that had overwhelmed her so far. It was simply astounding!

"It's beautiful." She murmured quietly and paused at the pond to crouch down. The fish had such freedom there, and a look of sadness flickered briefly across her face before she stood.

"Wait up. You've got over a foot on me, brat." She caught up to him and emitted a noise of pure joy as the animals came into view, her free hand reaching out to gently pet the closest one. "Finally, something good." She reached up to pet Ao and chuckled.

"Other than you, of course. You're like my security blanket, Ao." She stepped back and turned around in a full circle to observe their surroundings, the freedom of the outdoors bringing her a sense of peace and awe. "I swear I could live out here." She uncapped the bottle and took a long drink from it, swallowing without flinching and settling back against the fence.

He hummed in agreement, an idea already taking root in the back of his mind. There would be details to work out, to be sure... Preparations would need to be made before anything could be seriously considered, but he hoped this would be the spark that put the rest of his plan into motion. Only time would tell. It wasn't something he would have considered before, but given the current circumstances...

"Have you ever lived on a farm?" He asked off-handedly, watching her with the animals before fishing a apple out of his back and slicing it with a pocket knife. Putting the compact blade away once more, he held a piece out to the nearest nose, waiting patiently as a pair of lips carefully took it from his flattened palm

"No." Alexai spoke without turning, taking another long drink before her hand drifted outward. "I've lived some pretty bad places, so a farm would be heaven despite the smells that come with it." She leaned over and snatched a piece of apple from him, shivering involuntarily at the brief contact of their hands before she broke away.

"Why, are you actually gonna let me be outside instead of cooped up?" She held out the fruit and waited patiently with her palm flat until it was taken. "I've never felt more at peace than with animals. They don't try to hurt you every chance they get, not unless they've lived a life of pain and have a reason to." She sighed and turned away to take another drink, then wandered away from the fence to explore some.

"True.. Animals are a lot smarter than most h-people give them credit for.." He spaced the remaining apple slices along the top of the fence before following after her. "As for 'letting' you outside.. I had never planned to keep you locked in. There's a boundary fence that runs around most of the property, but it's more to keep snoops and thieves out than the animals. Most of them could get in if they wanted to, but they usually don't. They respect my boundaries because I give them their own space on the preserve and usually tend to stay closer towards the mountains anyway. Nanaba is one of the more sensible ones, but others... Unless someone else is with you, it's safer if you stay within the estate."

He reached out and handed Ao a walnut from his pocket, petting her gently on the head before continuing. "Don't fret though. It's a deceptively large area- big enough it would take more than a couple days to walk the whole place on foot. Until things change, I- I hope you'll come to think of this place as your home. Go where you wish, when you wish. Explore to your heart's content. I know some prefer to 'make their own way' in life.. If that's the case - If you need to work and have a purpose - I would be willing to add you to the staff list and teach you a few things. An on-site property manager, of sorts, if that's what you want. Or-"

He paused, blushing lightly as he ran his fingers through his hair. "I'm sorry. I feel like I'm... rambling a bit. I don't usually talk this much. Just- I was thinking out loud, I suppose. My apologies..."

"I feel more locked up here than in that tiny apartment. I know you've seen it since my things are here." Her voice carried softly along with the wind as she glanced back and saw him following after her. "Forgive me if I don't believe you. This isn't anything close to freedom no matter the size. It doesn't change what happened, and it doesn't change the fact that I'm angry and scared." She stretched out her arm so Ao could move from her shoulder over to him and shook her head.

"This will never be a home. Hell, I can't even remember your name." She drank some more and made a face of disgust. "Apparently it gets more disgusting once you get about a quarter of the bottle in." She raised the bottle to swing before her face and laughed, color staining her cheeks before she scowled and stopped.

"Why in God's name would I want to work for the person keeping me here? Are you that insane?" Her jaw tensed as she shook her head and looked away again. "You are rambling. It's not even anything remotely interesting. You could talk about your tattoos and your hair, or tell me why you killed a man in cold blood. If I'm going to be stuck here anyway, why not?" She dropped down to the ground and stretched out, holding the bottle loosely in her hand and settling down.

Taking the bag off his shoulder, he placed it on the ground between them before sitting down with a sigh. Humans were a lot more complex than he thought... Just when he thought he was finally making progress, he took a wrong turn and ended up back where he started. Or maybe it was just females in general...

"The markings are... basically a symbol of heritage. As for my hair- Believe it or not, but that's that's- That's my natural hair color." He took a swig from the rum, feeling the warmth spread through him as the alcohol entered his system. Zach often made fun of him for his drink choices but he didn't care. He liked the fruit-flavored liquors, and cherry was his favorite. Just because you could drink something that resembled Windex and smelled like acetone didn't mean you had to...

"As for the- the incident in the alley... I can't tell you everything; Somethings are restricted by law and others would make this problem more... complicated than it already is. The short version is that I was actually helping the police with the string of murders in the area. I have... different methods at my disposal; Things that enable me to do what they can't. I tracked the guy down and caught him red-handed as he was trying to grab a woman off the sidewalk. I thought I'd knocked him out, but while I was waiting for the police to arrive, he stabbed my leg and I... I, just... I'd barely eaten or slept in three days, and... I reacted poorly."

He stared at the ground between his feet, guilt and self-loathing coursing through him in waves. He took another drink, trying to forget the look in her eyes. Maybe first impressions really were everything. Every time he looked at her he saw that scared woman on the street and his protective nature rose to the surface, despite the fact the person he was protecting her from was himself... And he couldn't help but wonder if she would ever see him as anything but the monster from the alley...

"They don't look like paint. They're tattoos." She spoke as though it was an immovable fact and nothing more. "And I don't believe for a second that your hair isn't a box job, no one's born with hair like that." She gave him a sideways glance and then sniffed at the air.

"That's an interesting smell for rum." She propped herself up on her elbows and took a steady drink before capping the bottle and setting it down. "More complicated?" She laughed darkly and shook her head. "How much more complicated can this possibly get for me? There's not much more you can take away from me, save for locking me in a room and keeping me there permanently." She turned her eyes to the sky before reaching over, patting him on the head like someone would a child.

"You're very awkward for a killer." She shifted just enough to bump her head against his arm, stretching back out on the ground and sighing. "I still wonder if this entire thing is a dream. Maybe someone spiked my drink and I'm lying in a ditch somewhere." She chuckled softly and closed her eyes. "Either that, or the third or a bottle I've now downed is just really, really good."

He chuckled softly, a rarity for him as he glanced over at her with amusement before laying back in the grass as well and staring up at the clouds as they drifted overhead.

"Yes... The markings are permanent. There's no way to remove them. You can disbelieve all you want, but everything you see right now is permanent. You can wait two weeks or you can wait two months; Nothing will have changed." He gave an inelegant snort. "I actually have to make an effort to look 'normal'. Some temporary dye to color my roots from time to time. Painting over the markings with special concealers. Contacts for my eyes... Pretty much the only thing I don't alter when I go to work are my teeth."

"Whatever you say, sweetheart." She mumbled the words as she felt the alcohol taking a stronger effect and shifted closer to him. "You make it sound like you're some creature from lore." Her eyes widened as she watched the sky and then her expression relaxed into something closer to a semblance of calm.

"I'm not sure I even want to know about the teeth. So long as you keep them away from me, I don't really care. Right now, you could be a ghoul that goes bump in the night and I wouldn't give a damn." Laughter spilled from her mouth and she found herself unable to stop, draping an arm over her eyes as the sound grew.

"Shit, it's still early. Do I even want to know what time it is that I'm already drunk?" She laughed some more before her arm fell away, then shifted onto her side to press her head against his arm. "This is nice, though. If you let me out here often, maybe I won't hate you all the time."

"So.. I suppose I shouldn't tell you that it's not even time for lunch yet? Or that the bottle you've been downing is 135 proof with an ABV of almost 70%?" He teased. This was the most relaxed he'd been in a while. It didn't help that his high metabolism meant that any alcohol he drank pretty much went straight into his blood stream; A quick buzz that, unfortunately, never lasted as long as he wanted it to. His own bottle was a specialty blend not available for humans. For them, he imagined a single shot would likely have been roughly the equivalent of drinking morphine...

"Yep, I'm a monster all right. Not a ghoul though. Even if they were real, those things are just creepy..." Turning to look at where she was tucked against his arm, he poked her nose with his finger. "Hey... If you could be anything, what would you be?"

"It's what now?" Her head lifted, eyes wild as she stared at him in shock. "Oh god, I need to eat. I need to eat or I'm going to be so, so sick." She groaned loudly, sagging back on the ground an tossing an arm over him. "I blame you for not telling me that until after I drank a third. No wonder I feel like I'm floating." She mumbled under her breath and scooted closer before settling her head on his chest.

"Don't poke my nose." She twitched it and closed her eyes. "I don't know what I would be. I've never had the freedom to choose." Slender fingers gripped his shirt tightly before she sighed.

"I've been on my own a long, long time. I work--Worked fourteen hour shifts just to put a roof over my head. Can we move onto a new question?" Her head was spinning already and she gripped even tighter onto him. "Or better yet, can we go eat? I haven't drank like this in months." The last time she'd drank like that she'd woken up in a stranger's house draped over the toilet, a memory she very much wanted to forget.

Peering down at her, he pressed his lips together in concern. He'd wondered about her drinking on an empty stomach, but he was certain that even if he'd said something she wouldn't have listened to him at the time. Instead, he'd kept his thoughts to himself and simply grabbed food from the kitchen in the hopes she would eat something later. It wasn't much, but the bread was homemade and sliced thicker which would help absorb some of the alcohol in her stomach.

"I brought a few things in the bag over there. I can give you some fruit to snack on while I make sandwiches. If you're still hungry or want something else, I can put in an order and have it brought out." He was already thinking ahead to dinner tonight- making a mental list of what he'd need to do if he wanted everything to be ready in time.

Was she... Cuddling with him? Her eyes went wide again at the realization and she shot up, unable to stop the laugh that bubbled forth after.

"Well, if I die from alcohol poisoning, it's a hell of a way to go." She glanced over at the bag before her demeanor softened and she nodded her head.

"I guess I should have smarter about this. You can't blame me for being angry, though." She frowned and looked around before clicking her tongue. "Where's your little squirrel?" She never would have expected to be there, never in a million years, and all the situation had left to offer her were the little pleasantries. The feel of the wind on her face, the softness of the animals she could touch.

"Food would be nice, thank you." She drew her knees up to her chest then rested her head there and looked around. "It really is beautiful here."

His heart dropped for a second as she suddenly pulled away, wondering what it was he'd done wrong this time, but relaxed again as she broke out into a fit of giggles. He chose not to comment on the part about dying from the alcohol; There was simply no way he'd let anyone in his care die, let alone from something so mundane, so there was no point in discussing it.

"No, I don't blame you for being angry. I don't like it, and I'm... trying to do what I can to make this situation as bearable as possible... But I understand it." He sat up and shuffled through the bag he'd brought, setting everything out so she could choose whatever she wanted. "If there's something you want or that you want to do, like this morning, just tell me. Eiya says that I have the social skills of a rock- that I'm 'all work and no play'. It's why I let those two do most of the talking, to be honest." Reaching in the bag again, he sighed in exasperation as he dug around for the jerky he'd brought only to find a furry ball. Picking her up, it was obvious her little cheeks and stomach both were stuffed and he chided her gently, knowing she wouldn't feel well later.

"This little girl isn't actually mine. I found her in the rain one day about... three years ago now. She was wet and cold. I couldn't leave her there, so... I brought her here. Gave her a safe place to live. Food to eat. She can go wherever she wants, but for some reason... she chooses to stay with me." He nuzzled her head before setting her in the grass between them, petting her gently.

"I, ah- I didn't bring any plates or anything, but help yourself to anything you want." He'd probably brought more than they'd eat. He himself had just eaten after all, but he'd made sure there was enough to last both of them well into the afternoon since he hadn't been sure when they would return. He selected an assortment of fruits for himself for now, making a mental note to show her the other gardens sometime before it turned cold.

"I don't think anyone likes someone being angry with them, but that's how life works. I've had plenty of people angry with me. It's not pleasant, but it doesn't usually kill you. Maybe it comes close a time or two." She looked thoughtful as he dug around the bag, then laughed at the sight of Ao with her cheeks stuffed full of food.

"Aren't you just a little darling." She reached out and petted the squirrel gently before flopping onto her stomach and grinning. "If you rescued her, then that's exactly why. Animals tend to form bonds with the people who save them from certain death. Humans, well, that's different in every situation. Suppose it depends how close to death we are when rescued." Her brow creased as she made a discontent face, the expression disappearing only at the prospect of food. Food was good.

"You know, things are going to be just as awkward and angry when I sober up." Her voice held a note of sadness to it as she laid it on her arms, her legs swinging lazily behind her. "I don't like being cornered. I've never liked it, and I've always lived by fight or flight. So I'm warning you now that you're probably not going to like me very much. Suppose in the end, it doesn't really matter, though."

He chewed silently, a contemplative look on his face. It was true; He'd had people mad at him before and it hadn't phased him too much. You couldn't make everyone happy, after all... So why was it different with her?

Probably because he knew her unhappiness was entirely his fault, and that he deserved every bit of her ire..

"I suppose we'll just have to enjoy days like this while they last then... Though, I'd rather you not ruin your health just to feel even remotely content." He eyed her laying on the grass and nudged the bread closer. "You should eat. I would make something for you but... I don't know what you like."

He took another drink before starting his own sandwich- one inch canines easily tearing through the pile of food. It had been a while since he'd had something so simple. Most of his meals were more elaborate, either served by the staff or prepared himself. As much as he enjoyed cooking, it was still nice to take a break now and then.

"Well, while you're in a better mood... Any suggestions for making this whole situation even just a little better for you? There's a lot that I can do. Money isn't an issue. I just want to keep you safe and the only place safer than my properties is directly beside me. As long as I'm with you there are very few who would dare touch you. You could go anywhere; Do anything... You could become whoever you wanted to be." He paused for a moment, before laughing suddenly, a glint of amusement in his eyes as he shook his head.

"I don't think my liver could handle doing this every day." She raised her head to look at the bread before reaching out to nibble on it. "Food's food. I'm used to plain meals." The most complex meals she'd eaten the last several years had been at the diner, and those still paled in comparison to proper restaurants.

"I don't know. It's not like I really had friends at that job, or in the area. All I ever got were perverts wanting in my pants because they said my skin made me look exotic." She made a face and took another bite of the bread. "I should probably be more drunk than this, huh? Didn't think my metabolism was still this good." She rolled over and sat up, then shook her head slowly with a sigh.

"I retract that statement." She finished off the bread quickly, then turned to look at him curiously. "What's this look I'm seeing? Are you suddenly going to cart me off for something devious?"

He shook his head again, the amusement still shining in his golden eyes accompanied by exasperation as he finished off the sandwich in his hands.

"I was just thinking... I've been harassed with marriage 'requests' my whole life. Hints, suggestions, less-than-subtle threats- potential partners all but shoved at me... Anything to try and coerce or otherwise force my hand. None have succeeded, obviously. All their noble blood and their perfect pedigrees..." He chuckled again, low and mirthful, before taking another large drink- his gaze turning distant and unfocused.

"No one else knows why you're actually here... So imagine what those conceited парасаиц will think when they hear I've taken a single woman into my residence. Escorting her every place she desires.."

He looked at the last quarter left in the bottle contemplatively before shrugging and downing the remainder. A fresh wave of warmth spread through his chest and limbs as the alcohol quickly spread into his bloodstream and he sighed, laying back in the grass with a sigh.

How long had it been since he'd allowed himself such freedom? Centuries, at least. Probably not since he was a teen himself. He let himself enjoy the vague sense of vertigo as the world around him swam dizzily.

"Ugh. I can already imagine the outrage... And, to pour salt on the wound, I had the audacity to place a commoner above their pure-bred darlings. It won't matter that there's no evidence to substantiate their suspicions; Not even if I flat-out deny the whole thing... They'll treat it like another one of their petty scandals and gossip about it for years, all because they feel slighted."

He looked over at her, smiling softly.

"I think that's why you confuse me so... The only things they care about are status and wealth or whatever they can get their greedy claws into through me. It doesn't matter to them who I am, or what I want; I'm just a means to an end... ... And then there's you.." He brushed a strand of hair behind her ear gently, a sorrowful expression washing over his features.

"It doesn't matter what I have to offer. You don't want money or things and you couldn't care less about power or prestige... To you, none of that means anything. In your eyes, I'm just a monster... And that's all I'll ever be..."

"Marriage?" Her eyebrows shot up as she sputtered in surprise. Noble, pedigree, just what was he going on about? Had she stumbled into the middle of some royal bloodline or mafia and not even known it? Those gold eyes were already mesmerizing her again, distracting her before she averted her eyes and enjoyed the warmth of the alcohol in her system.

"Why does it matter to them why I'm here? I'm not exactly noble." Alexai couldn't help but be slightly amused, looking down as he relaxed on the ground nearby. How could he just lay there and drink, acting like everything was at peace in the world? It was a freedom she wished she could indulge in, but one she doubted she would ever have in her grasp again.

"Nor did I ask to be escorted. I never asked for any of this." She stiffened as he looked her direction, chancing a look and spotting his smile. It did suit him, she would admit that much to herself. When his fingers brushed against her skin, however, she flinched slightly and tried to ignore the very human emotions he was displaying.

"Why would I care about any of that?" She leaned back on her hands and looked to the sky with a sigh. "I've never had any of that, I've crawled my way through life relying only on myself. Money means little when there's no happiness to go with it. It allows you to live, but it does nothing for matters of the heart." She shrugged and made an annoyed face.

"As much as I hate to admit it, you don't look very much like a monster right now. Despite your appearance, you tote around a squirrel and have yet to try and break my neck. So for the moment, you're bearable."

Back
Top Bottom