Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

How do you use your writing talent to make actual money?

You might have some luck with blogging but you would have to come up with a theme or topics that attract people's attention. You could also try selling stories and articles to newspapers etc

I am not sure what type of writing you mean though or if you just mean writing in general?

So, I have done a lot of research on this... Never found my perfect solution, but did learn some interesting things in the process.

The most solid way other than maybe finding some gigs, is publishing on kindle/Amazon (or similar). It is actually not hard to do. While you could submit a novel, it doesn't have to be.

For example, I ran into an entire subreddit of writers who publish smutty short stories and a lot of them make a fair amount of money. Sadly... Or wisely... depends on how you look at it, but they often pick quantity over quality. So, they will submit all these like 10k words stories, and they all generate passive income.

I heard the other big seller is romance, but probably going to need to put more novel-like effort into it. Still, there is a market for stort stories.

There are many different paths for self publishing.

Really hard to earn money with writing nowadays, unless you are a really famous editor I think :( Or you are a lucky 0.00001% of writers and come up with Game of Thrones or Harry Potter lol.

Writing short stories as commissions (say, by opening up a dedicated Patreon, or joining communities that cater to this) can probably generate some revenue, that said, it'd obviously depend on what you are open to write to begin with, since you never know which ideas the other person may come to you as their requests.

Really really niche smut sells - google 'dinosaur erotica'.

The writer that came up with that idea and cornered the market probably made off like a king.

So you know. Find your own niche market and go about it. Patreon or amazon kindle type deal both works.

Lol it's 'cause I've done the same research as @Passion out of curiosity. Wanted to see if I can make a side-gig out of it just for fun. Wrote about 2k words of really sweaty alpha-male action in that pretty popular M/F alpha/omegaverse niche before I burnt (metaphorically) all of those google docs and memories from my brain.

My sanity begged me not to torture it with such word count > all shennigans.

I know that within the visual novel genre, any good smut sells well. I've played a few over the years! I'd guess that if you're a decent smut writer, you'd be able to build a following over time with a service like Patreon, but... I'm no expert. Like, you have a thing for purple aliens, right? That's a niche. Who knows, might be able to turn into something. But it's not an easy path, I think.

I've considered writing regular short stories and make a Patreon myself; the only problem is, I suuuck at plotting stories. Beginning, middles and ends, can't do it, yet. Sooo... I basically need more plotting practice before it's realistic. I think my prose is good enough though, so... That's at least something. Heh. :)

That answer is probably entirely subjective.

But....writing is a hard living. It comes without, in most cases, benefits, safety nets, pensions, etc. Most writers have side gigs and publishing is a shitshow. Publishing yourself is easier than ever before, but you also need to look into marketing there.

Customized erotic/love letters and/or emails? In the case of letters some phone sex operators would provide those back in the 80's and 90's. Writing the recipient a letter, perfume it all the cliches. Charge extra for worn panties lol.

Other than that blogs that attract advertisers can do well, especially if you couple it with a Youtube channel.

Probably the best advice to give someone who wants to be a professional writer is - Don't burn the milk, it makes the coffee taste bitter..😜

Last edited by a moderator:
Generally, self promotion means a lot, since the two paths these days, are trad publishing, which is a marathon in of itself, and self publishing

I kinda want to do what they do in Ecchi anime. Tease very close to the line of becoming smut but make the world-building and adventure just as good. And then let other people write smut fandoms about it to promote me.

A Harry Potter book is something like 170,000 words, right? That fat fourth book probably much more. That's a big time sink if you don't know it's going to be a hit.

A Harry Potter book is something like 170,000 words, right? That fat fourth book probably much more. That's a big time sink if you don't know it's going to be a hit.

When it reaches that level of effort and commitment I have to assume those authors are writing for themselves first and formost. while money is a good motivator I can't think of someone sitting down to write over 100K words with no personal investment.

Hello folks!

I just wanted to take a minute or two to clarify rule 11 of the site rules here.

11. No spamming and no soliciting. Please do not send the same message in PMs to multiple members. If you would like to contact a member about roleplaying, please do so without using the same copy/paste message for multiple members. If your message can be sent to another member with little change, it is not suitable to send. Links used for image/GIF/video references must be links to already hosted images/GIFs/videos; links that lead to downloads on other members' devices are not permitted. Staff reserves the right to use discretion on whether spam was malicious or accidental. Please do not advertise Discord groups, other forums, or any other roleplaying sites.

Please do not post/advertise any sort of GoFundMe/money-raising links onsite. Commissions for money or services (including but not limited to art or writing) are not permitted on Blue Moon. Blue Moon takes no responsibility for any currency or goods that exchange hands even if this rule is broken and commissions are sought on-site.

As the bolded section says, Commissions of any sort are not really allowed on BMR. This includes what amounts to RP for pay. BMR does not have the systems in place to prevent fraud and to be honest, I don't think the staff really are up for such even if there were proper systems in place - we're volunteers, not lawyers.

I wouldn't doubt that most, if not ALL ERP forums have a similar rule. I wasn't being serious anyways, finding people willing to pay for an RP partner would likely be next to impossible anyways.
^ Not to mention the vast majority of people in RPing communities approach this as a hobby and aren't out to gain any sort of revenue...I know LFG ads exist on Reddit for paid DMs or the like, but they aren't too succesful. I know I could never take money from partners lol, their presence and dedication are enough.

Back
Top Bottom