Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

SEASON 1 - 𝙀𝙑𝙀𝙉𝙏: The Whiteout | November 8th, 2021 | The Mothlight

whitechapel

ᵂᴵᵀᴴᴰᴿᴬᵂᴺ
Withdrawn
8cv8gkM.png

THE EVENT IS LIVE.

Event: The Whiteout
Time/Date: Late afternoon and early evening. - November 8th, 2021
Description: And just like that, the world goes white. In the early morning hours of November 8th, a freak blizzard moves through the region and blankets Dawn Chorus in roughly two feet of snow. Unprepared for such an early winter squall, the ensuing chaos leaves the roads covered, most businesses shuttered, and half the town without power. The weather channel is already calling it the 'storm of the century' with all the right conditions, variables, and bad luck necessary to make for an unmitigated mess of a day.

In a fit of hubris (or perhaps just so that he didn't have to be alone with his thoughts), word quickly spreads that Virgil McCormick has opted to keep The Mothlight open with a backup generator primed for the worst case scenario. He offers drink specials and a warm meal to any of those that might brave the cold. With some patrons stranded overnight and others flocking to the bar like a moth to flame, The Mothlight soon finds itself entrenched by a lively crowd looking for some brief respite from winter's chill...

Might as well get drunk about it. I mean, there's nothing better to do, right?

OOC: This event is going to run from March 19th, 2022 to whenever we damn well feel like it. It's mostly going to be a chance for our characters to mix and mingle with one another, meet new friends, make new enemies, and perhaps get wrapped up in a bit of our trademark weirdness. Just like last time, no pressure and no stress; this is all for fun. There will be a few surprises and major plot points through the entirety of the event, but if you have any ideas of your own for your character, we can absolutely work it in. As for timing, we'll be starting around noon in-game time and going through the whole night. If you need help figuring out how your character would get to the bar or why, feel free to get with me and we can come up with something fun.

Of course, this should go without saying, but the event is not mandatory. If you choose to not take part, that's completely fine and it won't be held against you.

Enjoy the show.

Posting Instructions
Posts should always be in third person (limited), past tense. There is no enforced word count, post length, or anything silly like that.

Every post (even outside of the event) should have a header that states the name of the character you're writing for, when/where the scene is taking place, whether or not the scene is opened to other players or closed to just the players involved, and a tag for the other players involved. I included an example below along with some code to make it easier:

Character: Frank Liddle

Time/Location: Evening, outside of The Mothlight
Scene Status: Closed
Tagging: Yancey Klump (@whitechapel), Quentin Severin (NPC)

Code:
[B][COLOR=rgb(143, 174, 112)]Character:[/COLOR][/B] 
[B][COLOR=rgb(143, 174, 112)]Time/Location:[/COLOR][/B] 
[B][COLOR=rgb(143, 174, 112)]Scene Status:[/COLOR][/B] 
[B][COLOR=rgb(143, 174, 112)]Tagging:[/COLOR][/B] 
[hr][/hr]

Last edited:
oJ8cK8n.png

Sunday. November 7th. 10:00 PM.

Virgil McCormick couldn't hear himself think.

His head was full of silvery stuff, a miasmic concoction of worry, grief, anger, and frustration. The weight of his daughter's disappearance weighed down on his very being and he could feel his knees buckling, his muscles tearing at the sinew, and his mind begin to break. In those first few fleeting days, it had been posters on telephone poles and knocking fists on a thousand doors. Have you seen this girl? Do you know the whereabouts of Carla McCormick? Can you tell me what happened to my daughter? Each of those questions left unanswered only unleashed another flurry of dark thoughts. Eventually, as days turned to weeks and the chances of a good outcome became anorexically slim, suicidal ideation stepped forth and consumed every waking moment. He had been through this before, during the divorce and when the outside of the closet beckoned, but it hadn't been so… depleting. Nagging. Begging. Endless.

The idea was birthed from tatters and it spread in him like cancer. The gun had fit in the palm of his hand as though it had always belonged there. He booked the room in Netherland Inn, he checked in with every intention of ending things, he prepared himself for the sweet release, and then… Morris Blevins happened.

Angels come in many forms. They're not always dressed in robes of white with wings spread wide. Sometimes, they're a blood-soaked vision of a man wandering out from the nearby woods, caked in mud and baptized in his own filth. They're a thin and ragged thing, only alive in the sense that they're not quite dead, but they still find a way to fill your head up with hope. What happened to Morris Blevins was a tragedy that sent shock waves through the entirety of Dawn Chorus, but Virgil had seen it in an altogether different light. It was a sign that Carla might still be out there somewhere, surviving through gritted teeth. She had always been a fighter, tough as nails and full of life. Wherever she was, Virgil would find her. He'd make her safe. He'd fix everything. They'd be happy.

Everything would be okay.

Ephraim Ryan entered The Mothlight as if he owned the place, the faintest glimmer in his eyes as he made his way past the bar, past the stage, past the tables, and to the stairway leading up towards Virgil and Yaya's apartment. He paid no mind to the curious eyes that followed after him. In the minds of many of Dawn Chorus' denizens, Ephraim was a ghost that had haunted the town for their entire lives; rarely seen, rarely acknowledged, but ever present and always lingering just on the periphery.

Ephraim climbed the stairs and knocked on Virgil's door, simple as such, but allow for the scene to be set:

The moon above; a cold, chiseled dagger.

The night; a veil upon this disappearing world.

Each and every star; shine, shine, shiny with new constellations and old.

The jukebox; a forgotten tune by The Rolling Stones.

The bar; alive and well.

The bar patrons; alive and okay.

Virgil McCormick; devastated, tired, etc.

Ephraim Ryan; smiling with a stolen promise.

God; away on business.

It's bloodshot eyes and a look of surprise when Virgil opens the door, curling fingers at the edges of the door frame while Ephraim Ryan stands prim and proper, hands folded behind his back. The light in the stairwell flickers right on cue. The bar goes silent, as one might expect. Somewhere out on the streets, a car alarm blares and a dog goes to barking.

"Mr. McCormick," Ephraim says. "I've come to offer my deepest condolences for the weight that you've been under. May I come inside?"

"I… yes, of course, Mr. Ryan," Virgil says. "Please, right this way."

There's an uneasiness to it all, isn't there? On tenterhooks, if you'll excuse an oft unused phrase. Pins. Needles. The incessant ticking of an unseen clock. The enduring background hum of the air conditioner whirring with life.The susurration of electricity as heard through brick and drywall. Virgil takes a seat on the couch. Ephraim doesn't sit; he looms. There's a long silence between them and it doesn't feel out of place or awkward or like one is waiting for the other to speak. It feels purposeful.

"Virgil – may I call you Virgil? – I don't believe we've ever actually had the pleasure of actually meeting one another," Ephraim says. "You know who I am, don't you?"

"Ephraim Ryan," Virgil says. "I don't think there's a soul in this town that doesn't know who you are, sir."

"Well, that's very flattering, Virgil," Ephraim says. "Or insulting, depending on my reputation. Whichever it may be, this visit isn't about me. It's about you and, more importantly, your daughter."

Ears perk. Virgil leans forward. Furrowed brow, hands tightening into fists, breath caught in chest, stomach in knots. "Carla?" Virgil asks. "Do you know where she is, Mr. Ryan?"

"Virgil, no, I don't know where your daughter is," Ephraim says. "I'm very sorry. I know that isn't what you want to hear. After hearing the trials and tribulations you've been through in recent weeks, I only came to offer my sympathy and my support."

"I… uh, I appreciate that, Mr. Ryan," Virgil says. "I truly do."

"I'm sure," Ephraim says. "I… suppose I also have advice to share, if I may be so bold."

There it is again. That uneasiness in full regalia. Feel the way it crawls up your spine, goose pimples and all. Hear how it whispers while nibbling on your earlobe, all four digits and a thumb wrapping 'round your neck and squeezing. There it is, there it is, there it is.

"This is a town of snakes and rats, Virgil McCormick," Ephraim says. "Wolves dressed in sheep's clothing, each and every one. I have my theories and sneaking suspicions about your darling girl, but that's all they are: suspicions. However, if our positions were swapped, I believe that I would start by trying to find the biggest rat. Wouldn't you? Smoke them out of their hideyhole and see what secrets they have tucked away."

Virgil's heart isn't beating, in case you didn't notice. His lips tremble and his eyes are wide. His muscles are rigid, stiffened, and he stares as Ephraim as the elderly patrician makes his move to finally sit down next to him, leaning in close to whisper against his ear.

"Beneath these stars, the mind wanders and wanes," Ephraim says. "Sleep well and with knowing: Quentin Severin is the one you seek."

Virgil's eyes flutter closed as Ephraim stands. Virgil lays down on his side, curling up on the couch like in fetal. His sleep is peaceful, rejuvenating, as dreams of violence twist and twirl and tumble through his head. Ephraim reaches into his pocket and pulls out the golden talisman he's been holding all this time. It's in the shape of an eye, pierced in the iris by a solitary blackened gem. Carefully now, Ephraim cracks the talisman in twain and watches as the gem turns to gold flecks in midair. The gold dust moves with its own accord and purpose, floating through the room as it searches for its host.

Eventually, it disappears up and into either of Virgil McCormick's nostrils.

Ephraim smiles.

He walks down the stairs.

He makes his way outside.

He gets into the back of his chauffeured car.

He leaves.

The first few flakes of snow began to fall on Dawn Chorus then and there. The temperature dropped, the cold set in, and within a few brief hours, all the world was white.

Virgil McCormick awoke at nine the next morning with the taste of blood in his mouth.

Last edited:
4DiYLMm.png

Transcript

Good morning Dawn Chorus and thank you for tuning in to 95.9... The Mountain. It's yer boy, Dr. Feelgood, and I've got a PHD in making that booty shake shake shake!

But before we commence the shaking of the booty, let's have a chat about the hustle, the bustle, and all the happenings in our little town. First and foremost, have you looked outside? Boy, when they said snow, I was expecting a flake or two. Now, what do you call that? Three or four feet? More than I've seen in this lifetime and, lord have mercy, it's still coming down! The whole world is a winter wonderland, so you best get out your tobaggans and your sleds and meet me on the top of Makeout Hill, cause babies, we gots to ride.

As it stands, half the town is livin' without electricity and the other half is already getting their candles out of the closet just in case. I spoke with Virgil McCormick down at The Mothlight during our last song and he wanted me to let ya'll know he has a good tunes, good drinks, good times, and a goddamn generator. Get on down there if you got the time, all right?

Now, this whole storm is a bit of a freak occurence, as I'm sure you're all aware. For the sake of all those inquiring minds out there with their heavy hearts and blistered lips, I thought ya'll might like if we shed a little light on the whole kitten kaboodle. Ladies and gentlemen, here's Stormcloud Jenkins with the weather.

Mother Winter is eternal.
Just like you.
And just like me.
She wraps her arms 'round our bodies
and digs her frozen fingers into our warm skin.
She holds us to her bosom
and she cradles us like her only child
She loves us and she will always love us
Even as the snow encases everything and all in pure, immaculate white.
Even as we freeze with her
Even as she kills us
But do not a'fear, my brother, my sister
For Mother Winter is eternal
Just like you.
And just like me.

...currently fifteen degrees fahrenheit. Accumulating snow throughout the day and most of the night. Wear a coat, if you go outside. Thank you.

No, thank you, Stormcloud Jenkins. What in the wide world of sports would we do without you? Anyway! I hope you've got your dancing shoes on, because this next track if a certified banger. Here's Ms. Kate Bush with "Fifty Words For Snow".

Lyrics

Fifty Words for Snow by Kate Bush

1 drifting
2 twisting
3 whiteout
4 blackbird braille
5 Wenceslasaire
6 avalanche

Come on man, you've got 44 to go,
come on man, you've got 44 to go.
Come on man, you've got 44 to go,
come on man, you've got 44 to go.

7 swans-a-melting
8 deamondi-pavlova
9 eiderfalls
10 Santanyeroofdikov
11 stellatundra
12 hunter's dream
13 faloop'njoompoola
14 zebranivem
15 spangladasha
16 albadune
17 hironocrashka
18 hooded-wept

Come on Joe, you've got 32 to go,
come on Joe, you've got 32 to go.
Come on now, you've got 32 to go,
come on now, you've got 32 to go.
Don't you know it's not just the Eskimo.
Let me hear your 50 words for snow.

19 phlegm de neige
20 mountainsob
21 anklebreaker
22 erase-o-dust
23 shnamistoflopp'n
24 terrablizza
25 whirlissimo
26 vanilla swarm
27 icyskidski
28 robber's veil

Come on Joe, just 22 to go,
come on Joe, just 22 to go.
Come on Joe, just you and the Eskimos,
Come on now, just 22 to go.
Come on now, just 22 to go,
Let me hear your 50 words for snow.

29 creaky-creaky
30 psychohail
31 whippoccino
32 shimmerglisten
33 Zhivagodamarbletash
34 sorbetdeluge
35 sleetspoot'n
36 melt-o-blast
37 slipperella
38 boomerangablanca
39 groundberry down
40 meringuerpeaks
41 crème-bouffant
42 peDtaH 'ej chIS qo'
43 deep'nhidden
44 bad for trains
45 shovelcrusted
46 anechoic
47 blown from polar fur
48 vanishing world
49 mistraldespair
50 snow.

Character: Frank
Time/Location: The Mothlight, 3:00 PM
Scene Status: Open. I mean, if you really want to deal with all of that.
Tagging: N/A

The Day Before
Or: The Franky Horror Picture Show

After Grace screamed, pummeled him, and stormed off in a tizzy that can only be described as 'a woman scorned', Frank took the time to furiously masturbate before eating a bag of expired Funyuns from the vending machine around the corner and taking a six-hour nap. He dreamt he was the God King Emperor Half-Prince of a fantasy-cum-apocalyptic wilderness, riding his three-headed pegasus through a war-torn battlefield. Wielding a gun that shot lightning in one hand and a sword made of chainsaws in the other, he laid waste to the roiling goblin hordes as they emerged in waves of green from their deep dug warrens. The whole thing was soundtracked by Dio and Slayer playing simultaneously.

In the end, he fucked a reverse centaur. So, that was fuckin' cool.

Needless to say, Frank woke up and groaned the loudest groan that has ever been groaned as reality came crashing down on him like a ton of bricks. He didn't know what time it was, but it was already getting dark outside, so that was another day successfully wasted. "Well, shit," He thought as he sat up in bed. "Guess I better get to drinkin'." Functioning alcoholism is a funny little critter. Like most other addictions, it's insidious and gets under your skin and lives there until the day you die, but, hey! At least you can still hold down a job, right? You can make ends meet. In the right angle and the perfect light, you're just a Funtime Johnny! Life of the party! Your reckless decisions are tempered by the knowledge that you've mostly got your shit together. Chances are, you'll never see rock bottom unless you go looking for it.

That and several other reasons were why Frank wasn't a functioning alcoholic. That's the punchline. Badum tss.

So, it was up and at 'em. Frank threw on an offensively lurid Hawaiian shirt and a pair of jeans that hadn't been washed in over a month. He combed his mustache for the ladies, ate an entire roll of Tums to keep his stomach from revolting, and splashed himself with just enough cologne to make sure they could smell him from three towns over. Regarding himself in the bathroom mirror, Frank saw the peak of masculinity; every woman's dream and every jealous husband's nightmare.

"Franklin D. Liddle," He said. "You're such a goddamn legend."

He kissed the mirror (because of course he did) before scouring the entire motel room for spare change or anything valuable enough to barter with. Thirty minutes later, he had come up with three dollars and eighty cents in pennies, a most likely used Amazon gift card, a single quarter that had rust on the edges, and a Sacagawea dollar. He traded the gift card to his neighbor next door for a ride into town. By 8:00 PM, Frank stood outside of The Mothlight with a head full of dreams and a heart full of calcification. He was going to let this whole goddamn town hear his knuckles crack.

Well, he would have, if there had been anybody around. Netherland Avenue was nearly deserted, which was probably to be expected considering that it was a Sunday, the weather was calling for snow, and what had transpired the night before with all that violent-death-in-the-streets business. With the shrug of either shoulder, Frank headed inside. A few of the regulars were around, but it was a slow night in The Mothlight. That little looker Virgil had brought on to run the bar while he dealt with all that godforsaken grief of his was there, but Frank knew better than to shit where he ate, so he kept the sultry comments to a bare minimum. Besides, she wouldn't know what to do with such a tiger of a man if she had the chance. Slamming the sack of pennies down on the counter like it was a bag of gold, he all but shouted, "You still got that real cheap beer in the back, honey? The one that tastes like piss and vinegar? Virg's been sellin' it to me for a dollar a bottle, please and thank you."

Frank wasn't under the delusion that he was well-liked in The Mothlight, but he had gone to great lengths to make himself part of the general scene. Virgil had threatened to ban him for life a hundred times over, but it never happened, and Frank doubted it ever would. Blame it on a soft spot at most and a lack of wanting to deal with the fallout, at the very least. Fifteen minutes and three beers later, Frank used his only begotten quarter in the jukebox to play what he considered one of the greatest songs to ever be written in the history of all mankind:

"Jump" by Van goddamn motherfucking Halen.

If there were an award for poetry, it should've gone to David Lee Roth every year, as far as Frank was concerned. As that synth line blared through the speakers and the entire bar audibly groaned, Frank shuffled his feet in a makeshift dance that resembled something between the 'electric slide' and the common 'skank'. It was every bit as off-putting as one might imagine. However, in his fit of hubris, Frank had forgotten all about the beer bubbling in his belly and the stress it was putting on his already death defying kidneys. Alas, the lizard needed to be drained and it would not abide for another single, solitary second. Thankfully, there were speakers in the bathroom, so Frank wouldn't miss one moment of Eddie's delirium-inducing guitar solo.

In the bathroom and at the urinal, Frank muttered the lyrics beneath his breath as he did his business. There was the sound of someone shuffling inside a stall a few doors over, but that did nothing to affect Frank, his already waning buzz, or the pure joy he felt as the song segued into its second verse. Oh! Hey you! Who said that? Baby, how you been? However, when that shuffling became coupled with the sound of low, stifled moaning, that caught Frank's attention. "Ah jeez, buddy!" He called out before tucking Frank Jr. back into his pants. "The cookin' in this joint claims another victim, huh? Hang in there! Yer doin' great, champ!"

Satisfied with his act of wanton camaraderie, Frank went back to singing his tune as he made his way over to one of the sinks. What? You didn't expect him to wash his hands, did you? He's a fuck-up, not an animal! Anyway, a squirt of soap, a little lather, a bit of water, and… Frank looked into the mirror. His eyes went wide, his jaw went slack, his entire body went stiff, and his vocal chords moved on their own volition to force out the only three words that could possibly give meaning to what he saw:

"What the fuck?!"

There, standing behind him in the now-open stall for more than just a blink of the eye, was a ragged and mud-greased Morris Blevins. He stood with one outstretched hand, the other arm hung limp by his side, mouth agape as little trickles of ruby red blood made their way down his chinny chin chin. It took a moment for Frank to conceptualize what he was seeing, his mind refusing to believe it even as his eyes revealed the full extent of the truth.

When his brain finally caught up with the rest of him, Frank turned on a heel to face the waylaid spirit only to see an empty stall where Morris had been standing a few seconds prior, the door still swinging on its hinges just ever so sightly. Frank stood there with his back against the sink for a good long while. He held onto the porcelain for dear life, his knees gone weak and his stomach churning in a way that made him regret every life decision he'd ever made that led him to that moment in time, in that place, there and then.

Eventually, 'flight' superseded 'fight'' and Frank made a beeline for the bathroom door. He had never left a bar quicker in his entire life, skin gone star-bright pale and a tongue tied to the roof of his mouth. That wasn't okay. None of that was okay. There wasn't a goddamn less okay thing in the entire history of the concept of 'Okay'. Palpitations started in his chest that eventually reverberated through his entire body by the time he was out the front door and back on the streets.

Frank started down the sidewalk.

An icy wind was blowing.

From the speakers of a Honda Civic driving down Netherland Avenue, a song played.

The Day Of
Or: When the Going Gets Weird, the Weird Turn Pro

Ghosts, man.

Fucking ghosts.

Frank believed in a lot of things he probably shouldn't have believed in. Aliens? Abso-fucking-lutely. Bigfeet? Yeah, probably. Loch Ness monster? Wouldn't be surprised. Hell, Frank was fairly confident he had seen a wolfman drinking a pina colada at Trader Dick's (his hair was perfect, for the record). Ghosts, though. Frank had never even entertained the idea of ghosts. In general, the idea of any sort of afterlife actually being a real, attainable thing sent him for an absolute loop. It was so far beyond Frank's very, very narrow understanding of life, the universe, and everything that if someone told him he'd been plopped down in the middle of a story being written on a website somewhere on the Internet, he'd be more likely to believe that.

Heh.

So, as the snow began to fall and a new existential crisis reared its ugly head, Frank decided to do what had to be done.

With a tennis racket attached to either foot and his body wrapped in a matted fur coat from God knows where, Frank trudged through the snow piled streets. He carried a hysterically large black sack slung over his shoulder, filled to the brim with all manner of misshapen objects. The frost clung to his mustache as he marched right down the center of Netherland Avenue, his expression stone cold serious as he approached the warm glow of The Mothlight's neon inside.

Through the front door and inside, Frank didn't make his usual stop at the bar. He didn't say hello to any of the patrons, most of which were only happy that he had chosen to ignore them for once. Instead, Frank made a beeline towards the men's restroom, pushed open the door with his elbow, slung the black sack down on the relatively clean floor, draped his coat over the nearest sink to reveal himself dressed entirely in white, and cracked his neck as he stared at the empty stall where he had seen the phantom of Morris Blevins lingering between this world and the next.

Opening the sack and reaching in with either hand, Frank pulled out all the supplies he had brought along: a book called Haint Hunting For Dummies, a pack of multicolored chalk, three different Ouija boards, a copy of Patrick Swayze's 'Ghost' on VHS, several packs of matches he'd stolen from the front desk of the motel, a handheld transistor radio to communicate with the dead, a bundle of sage that may have actually been kale, a Dollar Store makeup kit, and a baggie filled with a little over an eighth of 'shrooms. God only knew where it all came from, but there it all was, laid out neatly on the ground at his feet.

Once upon a time, Ancient Egyptians believed painting their eyes with kohl was a surefire way to ward off evil spirits; after all, the eyes were the window to the soul and matters of the soul were momentous above all things. Unfortunately, their cosmetics were made by crushing lead sulfide into black powder. This led, no pun intended, to more mental illnesses than you can shake a stick at. While Frank didn't have any lead sulfide on hand, he already had a whole host of undiagnosed disorders running rampant in his head, so he was halfway to Cairo without even trying. He did his makeup in the mirror, tracing the shape of his lids with liner before finishing it off with a severe amount of shadow, blended imperfectly to create a messy, if dramatic, smokey eye.

In short, he looked ridiculous.

Down on his knees, Frank took the chalk and drew geometric patterns on the tiles in front of the stall, consulting his book to make sure he had it right; he didn't, but it's the thought that counts, right? Coming back to his feet, Frank took the videotape of Ghost and sat it in the stall, carefully balanced on the lid. Finally, he lit a cigarette with one of the matches and then used the cigarette to set the sage (read: kale) on fire.

"All right, motherfucker," Frank said to thin air. "I ain't afraid of no ghost."

Somewhere in Calabasas, Ray Parker Jr. felt someone walk over his grave.

Fuck it. Play the music, I guess.

Last edited:
Character: Grace Letts
Time/Location: 8:30ish | 1st Floor Booth to Basement to ???
Tagging:

Halfway down the page, Grace paused, tapping her pen on the scarred surface of the table. She blinked, and blinked again. They looked like words, these letters in combinations that appeared perfectly familiar, and the probably-words were arranged in what genuinely seemed to be sentences. It felt like she was reading, but she couldn't, not for the life of her, remember what any of it said.

This, she told herself, was why she'd never attempted to grade papers in a bar before.

She began again at the top of the page, resolving to ignore her surroundings. Ignore the voices that climbed atop one another, the sudden burst of laughter, the glass-on-glass clatter at the bar, the stench of beer, the too-warm press of the air. Ignore the chill of boots that weren't meant for this weather, the cling of jeans still damp from the shins down, recovering from the trek across snowy roads. It was so quiet out there, save for the wind, yet it was so loud in here.

She endeavored to mentally return to her little cottage, serene blue and blanketed in more snow than she'd ever seen: the small, predictable space that was known and within her control, buffered by her familiar possessions. If she hadn't lost power, she'd still be there, gradually digging through papers promised to her students last week. Tonight’s sudden plunge into darkness highlighted a critical dearth of emergency supplies in her possession: a single old flashlight with failing batteries was about the extent of it. If she wanted to continue grading, the Mothlight was her only option, and she thought it best to hurry over before the sky completely faded to black.

Halfway down the same page, Grace was back to where she began. It was utterly impossible to focus; she couldn't recall a single detail. With a sigh, she rubbed her eyes, feeling the heavy fatigue of a long day, a long week, a long month. Other metrics of time, longer still. She picked up the stack of papers, mindlessly straightening them with a series of terse taps on the table.

Something clinked on the wooden surface, the sound almost swallowed by the surrounding din, and lay there, its age-darkened metal reflecting none of the bar's light. A key. With a slight frown, Grace returned the papers to the tabletop and picked it up, rubbing the pad of her thumb over the etched surface of the key's bow, where a twin pair of vertical lines intersected with a single horizontal one. It was unusually cold, as if it were only a moment ago brought in from outside, and yet, it had been ostensibly tucked into the stack of papers. Strange. Perhaps it belonged to a student who had mistakenly slipped it between the pages of their assignment. She'd keep it, and ask her classes if anyone recognized it.

Grace tucked the key into her pocket, and took a look around the bar. Bodies were everywhere, clustered in couples or small groups. The pace of drinks was flowing more quickly now, promising more chaos. No one was leaving, nor were they likely to with power outages across the city and many roads impassible. It was impossible to work here, and it wasn't going to get any easier as the night went on.

The Mothlight had a basement, she knew, but she'd never had the opportunity to venture down there. She didn't dare to hope for seclusion under these circumstances, but she did imagine it was quieter. Conceding to her limited options, Grace gathered her work and slid from the booth, threading through the crowd, politely nodding to acquaintances and following the outer wall near the restrooms until she found the basement steps. She descended quickly, her footfalls certain, though they halted at the threshold.

It was better down here, less frenetic. Refugees from both the storm and the crowd above occupied the tables and couches, so Grace took a lap, searching for a place to settle, her hope dimming as she found none. On near completion, she noticed a door in the corner, nondescript, save for a simple etching of perpendicular lines.

She knew that symbol; she'd just seen it. Just now, a few moments ago. Her lips went slack in curiosity as she approached the door and tested the knob.

Locked.

She had a suspicion, one that, faced with the question, demanded an answer. That other question - the one of belonging or appropriateness - was irrelevant. She retrieved the key from her pocket (still cold, how?), her quizzical gaze alternating once between the matching symbols, and slipped it into the lock, which accommodated the attempt with a click and turn. The door eased open. It was darker, a hallway. But it was quiet.

A suspicion confirmed, an answer that spawned a dozen more questions.

Before making a conscious decision, she was advancing down the hallway, oblivious to the door closing behind. There were questions, things she didn't know. Something she needed to know. Eyes, slightly narrowed in the sourceless, half-light illumination, stared unflinchingly ahead, paying little heed to the walls rising on either side, decaying stone. Older than the Mothlight? Older than the city itself? That wasn't the question. She pressed ahead, the cadence of her steps quickening, boot soles thudding on concrete, or perhaps dirt - she didn't notice. Was she descending? Her breath came quicker, mirroring the flutter of papers slipping, forgotten, from her fingertips. White pages littered the floor in her wake, a subterranean snowfall of abandoned ideas. None of them answered the question.

Ahead, a wall. No, not a wall, she realized upon approach, but a sharp left turn. Here, steps, old steps, stone steps. Steps worn in the center by the passage of many feet. Steps uneven in construction, each one a stumble. Down and down and down, she couldn't stop. She didn't consider stopping. She didn't look up; the ceiling may've been stone, or dirt, or sky. It may've been eyes at intervals; it may not've existed at all. It may have been a tomb.

The steps melted into packed dirt, and all at once, she spilled out into open space. Not open, but more open, a single bulb naked and suspended from the ceiling, weakly illuminating black cinderblock walls, an afterthought recognition. It wasn't important. What was important? What was the question?

A television sat atop a pile of dirt. Anemic dirt. Dirt that grew nothing except this strange picture: the boxy, old-fashioned television set buzzing with life, despite no discernible power source. The screen flickered white, waiting.

Last edited:
Character: Abigail Vance
Time/Location: White Feather >> The Mothlight | 8:15am ish? to 3pm, November 8th
Scene Status: Gonna have to deal with that...
Tagging: Frank (@chap)

Lights had been acting funny all night while the forecast called for snow and thankfully the backup generators went to work keeping the last two patients in palliative stable. It had been three the day before but she stayed through to the small hours to comfort their third patient while he passed. She watched the snow pile up in angry crisp whorls against the inky black as it slowly turned dawn orange just beyond the plastic slats of the blinds on the patient's window. That last shuddering sigh rolled out just after 7am. After the call was made she left the overnight nurses to their routine - still no Doctor, and they couldn't even wrangle an attending from the next town over.

Abby pulled up the sleeves on her cream sweater and rubbed the sleep from her already black crescent lined eyes. She couldn't go home... but without any actual work to be done thanks to a depressing lack of relatives trickling in even when the weather was pleasant, she resigned herself to calling it a night. Er, morning, in this case, since by the time Abigail gathered her pea coat and purse, the clock hands hovered on 7:35am. Abigail speed walked through the black halls by memory and scent alone, using the gradual fade of usually oppressive antiseptic to guide her towards the lobby now brightly lit by heaps of snow.

With a grimace she pulled the lapel on her autumn jacket up further knowing it wouldn't do a damn thing against the squall. Still, after having to shoulder her way through the stuck sliding doors, she got outside to find her car blanketed and the feeble attempt of the town snowplow quickly filling in again. A few choice curse words later and she wrenched open the freezing hinge of her dad's old oxblood red Buick. She slid onto the matching seat and started it up with a sputtering rumble of compliance with a hiss and whir of the hospital ventilator as a constant soundtrack in the back of her mind.

The stereo's yellowed backdrop flickered on 95.9. By now The Mountain was the only station that worked in her car.

---a chat about the hustle, the bustle, and all the happenings in our little town. First and foremost, have you looked outside? Boy, when they said snow, I was expecting a flake or two. Now, what do you call that? Three or four feet?...

"No shit," muttered Abby, growing fed up with the barrage of grey-white hammering on her windshield. She hadn't been driving long up the main strip when the radio broke up again.

---Virgil McCormick down a---

Barely crawling up towards the park, she paused at the lights. Entirely out of habit though because they were just endless voids of black with the power cut having already swept up through that section of town. Abby tapped her fingers on the shiny red wheel rubbed matte and raw from the spots Jesse always clutched. She had to had to strain to see the outline of decapitated Elvis on her right.

---ood times, and a goddamn generator---

Sighing tiredly at the dead intersection and the rapidly accumulating snow, she tried to move forward. Her car squealed and groaned louder than usual. Abigail looked down at her dash to see it flickering just like the linear stereo. She had only enough time to bear down on the gas and crank the wheel hard to the right, fighting against the massive old axel out of her weight class (parking was basically dropping anchor with the Buick) and nudging the car towards the sidewalk. There was no way she could keep going like this anyways as the cold seeped in bitterly.

Well, she could use a drink at this point...

Abby didn't have to hype herself up when she was running on sheer exhaustion and spite. Kicking the door open, she flung herself into the street and trudged up the strip to the left, seeking the only source of power coming from the Mothlight. Like a zombie, or an enthralled moth per its name, she made a gradual journey against the wind that threatened to upend her until she arrived at the door. By now her hands and feet were frozen and her face was ruddy from wind chap.

One final push got her inside to the stale yet oh so welcome scent of old beer. She inhaled the warm air and looked around from the foyer spying a couple of the town alcoholics already there: one at the bar and another at the table to sleep off their busy night of indulging. Once the initial shock of the cold began to thaw from her bones she wandered over to the bar for a water with a slice of lemon. Abby spied a very appealing middling table on the far side of the room closest to the bathrooms. The idea of going home was completely wiped from her mind, so she figured she may as well get some rest.

Abby walked over and gently placed the glass down. Then she shrugged off her jacket with accumulated icy granules and arranged it on the back of her chair. Pulling it out with a scrape, she sat down. She could barely stifle a yawn that followed loudly but for once she didn't care.

Sleep. Yeah, now that was a good idea.

Abigail woke up hours later with her head cradled uncomfortably in her folded arms over the small table top. Wearing her baggy sweater and having slightly matted hair probably blended her in with the other alcoholics who'd been sleeping in their drinks. Bleary eyed and so, so hungry, Abby smacked her lips and swallowed dryly, She remembered she had water and sat up to reach for it. Her back lit up with fire when she righted herself, immediately regretting the decision. She stifled a groan.

The lemon slipped into her glass at some point during her nap leaving it a murky lukewarm mess. Regardless, Abby picked it up and sipped the tart water just to swish the bad taste off her tongue. It woke her up if nothing else and Abby ran her hand across her face again then tried to make sense of her hair without a mirror, opting to put it up and back in a pony tail. She hadn't looked at the clock yet but knew she slept a while since the Mothlight was buzzing with more faces, music and the smell of cheap wings. Turning back around in her chair she glanced at the bathroom with some resolve to wash her face at least and pushed herself up. She could feel her feet again, which was nice.

Abby was about to step into the ladies washroom, her hand primed on the faded door, when she heard something muffled from the men's bathroom next door. Most of it was lost rumblings that blended in with the Mothlight's playlist but she could make out the tail end of... something.

"motherfucker...I ain't afraid of no ghost."

Her lips pursed and Abby's brow furrowed a slight cleft on her pale brow. She recognized that voice.

Canting her head to look back over her shoulder as if propriety was a thing any more, and seeing no one was staring at her, she side stepped. Pushing on the door to the men's bathroom immediately washed her in fluorescent light and a loud creak to announce her terrible, insatiable curiosity. She blinked against the dingy light once, twice. She blinked again because of what slapped her senses: the rainbow chalk scratched into the floor, cigarette haze in the air, a cheap makeup palette cracked open on the sink, and across from her wide-eyed look at the open stall was none other than...

Frank Liddle.

He looked like a televangelist caught on the wrong side of a breaking news story.

Torn between thinking and saying 'what the fuck', her mouth won the bet.

"What the fuck?!" Abby squeaked out, verbalizing her utter confusion with a smoky inhale of... swiss chard?

Character: Elizabeth Pratt
Time/Location: Dawn ~ Onward | Netherland Inn, Room #9 / the Mothlight, Main Floor
Scene Status: Open
Tagging: @p r i s m (Gideon Huxley), Quentin Severin (NPC)

Waking up before a certain hour, you see all sorts of disasters take place.

The first had been what sounded like the packing of metal on metal as one car had skidded into another. Already slick by midnight, the roads had proven treacherous when the bars let out, and all of Netherland Avenue had turned into a sloppy, undelineated mess of slips, falls and minor fender benders. Whoever they were – the passing, laughing, drunk bunch of idiots just outside of Elizabeth's window at the Netherland Inn – had seemed in relatively good spirits about it, joking about the sudden drop in temperature. The term "witch's tit" was used more than once. Elizabeth, sleeping-masked and ear-plugged, had still managed to catch most of the finer points as their voices carried up, over and through very insubstantial, single-paned glass. She couldn't remember what the listing had said about the room but was confident there'd been no mention of midnight retellings from Appalachia's dimmest as they dragged themselves hovel-bound.

The next had come just after five AM, when a snowplow had run up and over the buried curb nearest the corner of Netherland and Crestline. A stop sign had toppled in the ordeal, forcing the driver out, into the cold, where he voiced his displeasure with his chosen lot in life for the better part of thirty minutes. Engine idling all the while.

Six AM: She's been awake but now she's up. All the same, even with a set of her own sheets the bed is an insult to the deposit she'd put down. Sleep could wait. Sleep is a luxury for home, and she's miles from that still. News outlets call the storm a freak occurrence; reports from across the region of power outages and road closures made it clear that whatever plans she'd had to seek out possible footholds in town, were now buried under accumulating snow.

Seven AM: A call that could've been an email and an appetite suppressant. She'll need to find a new assistant when she's back in Manhattan. The current one's a bit too chipper on the phone and has a bad habit of stuttering out little "sorries" fifty or sixty times per conversation. She'd be in the bread line by five, but until then, she could keep scrounging up whatever acorns had fallen from the Ryan family tree. This is the inherent issue with plain-white-trash from anyplace, USA: they're always trying to make a good impression, never aware that a cheaper, fresher alternative has already been churned out – ready for action -- just behind them.

Eight-Thirty AM: An inventory of what she has capable of battling this cold. She'd planned for footwork and temperatures more befitting of a black, calfskin trench and a selection of grey-toned, cashmere turtlenecks. A pair of black-suede boots that lace up the front will have to work, even if they won't survive the snow and the salt. Pity but she might've expected to be knee deep in something before this was all through. Hair back, foundation and shadow applied, she's a vision of steely eyes and high cheekbones, clad in pitch, that's grilling the front desk woman for details on the storm and how often these sorts of things happen.

"Oh, hardly ever, I'd say." The woman replied, stirring a teacup.

"Hardly," Elizabeth repeated, "as in ...once a decade? Less?"

The woman considered this, stirred, and said, "Oh, gosh, I dunno. I'd say..." more considering. More stirring. "Not a lot. Hardly ever."

"I see." It was a long shot, but she tried anyway with her next question, "Tell me, what do you know of a Quentin Severin? I'm told he is the proprietor of a," unintentional or not, her lip sneered, "local establishment, a sort of, uh, Occultery and bric-a-brac store," she ran the words together, as though saying them quickly would dampen how ludicrous they sounded aloud.

The woman rolled her eyes – rolled her whole head, really – and scoffed. "Nothin' good follows that man. "Feel most'f us would sooner see him gone. Some fellas," she wrinkled her nose, "they don't rub right; go against the grain."

Elizabeth raised an eyebrow at this but said nothing.

"Strange fella. Has the storefront, like ya said. Keeps to himself. Why'd ya ask?"

"He's on your city council, yes?"

Finally, she tapped the rim of the teacup with her spoon. "Hadn't noticed."

Nine-Fifty AM: Gideon was a punctual man. Something Elizabeth could greatly appreciate, seeing as her most current momentum was tethered to his. Watching Ephraim dodder around after him had been as macabre a sight as she could handle; seeing Gideon react with such peculiar fascination to the property had been something else entirely. She'd found herself troubled by it more than once but put a pin next to addressing it, later, away from prying eyes and ears. For now, she'd accept that the man, and his mysteries, were just that. Perhaps he'd always longed for a simple place in the country. Perhaps the brambles and ivy and cracked, uneven foundation all spoke to some of that "charm" she'd never understand. Perhaps these were the earliest inklings of dementia setting in, and she'd be placing a rather unfortunate call to Manhattan some day sooner rather than later.

Tell the Tuna: cash cow's on the funny farm. Situation sinking. Send lawyers, guns and money.

"I may never forgive you for bringing me here," she said to Gideon when he descended the stairs into the lounge area. The bar, during the day hours, was lined with a row of carafes: mismatched and in need of restoration most, they were at least full of what would have to pass for coffee. Self-serve, naturally, from a cart of likewise mismatched mugs. "Have you seen this?" She asked, sliding her phone toward him when he joined her at a small, windowside half-booth. "The highway out of this ...place... is closed. Rockslide near that grubby little town with that awful man and his dog." Her eyes narrowed, "'Jethro', with Interstate Authority says they might – key word here, "might" -- have them cleared by Friday. If the storm shifts."

She adjusted in her seat; feigning relaxation before a sea of vitriol roiled again. "So, that means we're grounded. Stuck. Foot in the proverbial bear-trap, only difference being we're unable to start gnawing things off just yet." The appetite suppressants were working a bit too well. She felt on edge; serrated. She could hear that woman's incessant stirring even in the other room. "And, naturally, because this entire town is trapped inside, all but one of my meetings fell through. Quentin Severin – a local ...erm, eccentric with a seat on city council. After a bit of ...convincing, he agreed to meet with me." She glanced outside, down the white-caked street toward where she could faintly see figures moving through the static. "But, fret not, dearest – the owner of that music venue down the block has opened his doors. I'm told most of the town is witho--"

Then, as if on cue, the lights flickered. Died.

"Wonderful." She said, in stark monotone. "So, our options appear to be: stay, here, and possibly freeze to death while that woman stirs her tea." She cleared her throat. "Or... a dark, confined space with every drunk on two legs." She stood, slipped into her coat and adjusted a scarf, "personally, I can't think of a better place to be than a building with one entrance, while we wait for one of these corn-fed hog-jockeys to go stir crazy. Did you know that Tennessee has some of the loosest firearm laws?" She placed a black, lambskin gloved hand on his shoulder, "but duty calls. You should come; spread around some of that charm I'm always telling people about."

She had to time her trek to the Mothlight with an afternoon pass of the plows. She'd sooner succumb to actual freezing rather than trudge, however deep, through the snow. Opting for a freshly tended Netherland Avenue wasn't ideal but it kept her reasonably dry while she hurried. As far from the sentimental sort as a person could be, even Elizabeth found herself longing for the sterile, unchanging hallways and lobbies of home. There, if it snowed, she simply stayed in; delagating the day's tasks from her fiftieth floor condominium while some poor rube suffered the elements in her stead.

Here, it was boots on the ground. Face to face and in the trenches. Suffering more than just elements or boorish townspeople.

She drew a few eyes as she entered the crowded hall. Most sparing a glance from their conversation to furrow their brow at this obvious outsider before deciding she was just another tourist, trapped the same as them. There were far too many bodies, milling and commingling together on the floor, forcing Elizabeth toward a stool at the bar. A stool that existed well within the apparent vacuum surrounding a dark-clad man, hovering over a mostly empty snifter. She ordered a drink and pivoted in her seat. If he noticed the sudden presence beside him, he didn't react. Only kept staring, ahead, while an unmaimed hand favoured the glass.

Getting an early start, she thought, noting the time and a collection of wadded up napkins on the bar before him.

"Mr. Severin?" She ventured, curious to see what might yank this most present disaster from his apparent trance.

He jolted, turned, and for a moment, what looked to be relief passed over quite haggard features. "Ms. Pratt," he replied, "I must've lost track of the time. Forgive me."

"No need. I'm early." She'd never actually seen what some poets refer to as a creature eating of it's own, bitter heart [1], but felt a strong understanding of the prose, then, watching Quentin. Her eyes flicked to the bandage a pregnant instant before she asked, in an uncharacteristically gentle tone, "What happened to your hand?"

Last edited:
Character: Julia Whitford
Time/Location: Whitford Residence | Mothlight Bar, approx 4:00pm
Scene Status: Open!
Tagging: @p r i s m (Yaya)

The house was empty when Julia came home.

Not tombs and ghosts empty, just empty empty; nothing there to attract anything as interesting as the supernatural.

The reporter's eyes alighted upon recently-polished surfaces as she stalked through the silent rooms: rich wood tables, marble countertops, gleaming ceramics in the bathrooms. Luxury finishes. High-quality fixtures. Opulent furnishings. Among those who had taste, Julia had some of the best, as noted in the brochure for last year's Dawn Chorus Tour of Homes. The Whitford residence was utter perfection.

Incurably empty, brutally perfect: the type of perfection that says neither please nor thank you, that allows no questions.

Her steps echoed, joyless and terse. Look at what we built, they announced. Beautiful, exclusive, better than yours, useful for concealing an absolute void. Empty house, empty people. There had been possibilities here once, before it was filled with perfection, before they both had been drawn away to other pursuits, Will to his prestige, Julia to her work. But they kept building and buying, assuming the correct arrangement of the kitchen, the right sofa, the proper artwork would inspire something honest and warm. It wasn't a particularly noble attempt, but it allowed them to elude scrutiny, both personal and social. No one wanted to see unhappiness through the facade, so they easily hid misery in plain sight.

It was just as well that Will wasn't there. Julia was only dropping by for a moment - just long enough to change into casual clothes for a working evening at the Mothlight: designer jeans and close-cut cream sweater, boots for the snow. She checked her email. She checked her texts. She checked the weather.

More snow, piles of it. Snow to swallow you. Before leaving again, she glanced out a window to their backyard, where white blanketed everything in soundless, smooth planes. In a momentary lull of wind, large snowflakes floated lazily downward: thousands of them, millions, burying everything they touched. Silence can be serene, rather than hollow.

For the first time in the publication's history, an impending major snowstorm had been a below-the-fold story for the Dawn Chorus Tribune. When faced with the choice between a gruesome Blevins death and the hysteria-inducing threat of weather, her editor had chosen the former. What good is violence, really, if you can't capitalize off of it? With any luck, the snowstorm would earn its journalistic prominence by providing plenty of successive horrors for future editions, leaving David, the editor, giddy with purpose. Over the prior two days, he had called Julia eighteen times, sent approximately forty-five texts, forwarded eleven emails, and barged into her office twice, only to find her strategically absent.

By this point, she was surviving on artisanal green juice and the abstract promise of "normal" that lately seemed to linger on the horizon, just out of reach. Bloody streets, snow piles, closed roads, and felled power lines would all eventually be remediated, allowing her to return to harassing the DCPD for a paltry trickle of information regarding the missing four (now three, there must be a clever headline in there somewhere). She would be able to sleep for a longer stretch than four hours, go for a run, and eat an entire meal sitting down. Maybe get a facial or a massage, to counteract the effects of cold and stress.

She and a handful of colleagues had, earlier that morning, divided the burden of covering the story: Julia's angle was to report on Virgil McCormick's decision to keep The Mothlight open throughout the night. Earlier in the day, she'd placed several calls to the establishment, hoping to arrange a moment to speak with the proprietor, to no avail. She was showing up blind, which wasn't ideal, but with no intentions of staying any longer than necessary to get an interview with Virgil and perhaps a few quotes from patrons, she assumed it would be simple business. Drunks were always happy to talk.

She arrived a little after four, when the crowd was beginning to thicken in earnest. A series of text updates from the Tribune warned her that the power had failed in most of the city, herding spirited survivors toward Virgil's promise of food and drink, warmth and company. Despite all he'd been through, Julia had to admire Virgil's business prowess in this instance - he would no doubt make a killing in profits tonight, as his patrons were already imbibing heavily with no signs of slowing. Though she saw a few familiar faces, this was not her social scene. Most of her friends had generators of their own, ready to be used once or twice a year to help avert the tragedy of personal inconvenience. Tonight, for the most part, a polite nod and an apologetic quirk of her lips was enough to bypass an acquaintance without forcing a conversation. Work. People understood that.

The bar itself was nearly at capacity, and the reporter eased between two long-haul barstool occupants. She leaned over the counter, hand raised to summon the attention of the girl pouring drinks. Carla's cousin and Virgil's niece, she thought, recalling her presence at the vigil and an abundance of town gossip. Strikingly statuesque and too pretty for her youth to be wasted in Dawn Chorus, Julia was inwardly glad that she was - hopefully - only visiting for a period of time.

"Buy ya a drink?" slurred the man next to her, pulling her attention and a groan she managed to suppress. He was squat and grizzled, his flannels reeking of cigarette smoke, his breath laden with whiskey fumes.

"No thank you," she responded primly, pointedly looking away and redoubling her efforts to get the bartender's attention. "Yaya!" she called out, her voice lifting over the clamor of crowds.

Character: Frank
Time/Location: The Mothlight, 3:00ish PM
Scene Status: Open. Again, do you really want to deal with this?
Tagging: Abby (@Andronica)

Sometimes, no matter how badly your curiosity might get the better of you, it's best not to look to see what's hiding behind closed doors.

By the time Abby stood at the threshold of the men's restroom, Frank was vibrating at a higher frequency, tuned into some haphazardly esoteric and mind numbingly absurd version of himself. One fist pounding against his chest to form a pulsating, rhythmic beat, the other clutching and waving the burning bundle of leafy greens back and forth. The half-smoked cigarette dangled ash from between pursed lips, hazy smoke billowing out of either nostril as Frank stomped his feet in front of the open stall in some half-cocked rendition of a Maori haka dance. His mouth moved to make frowns and grimaces, teeth clenched and grinding, eyes rolling back behind their lids, veins bulging at either temple before either foot planted to the ground, arms outstretched wide as they could go, back arched astern, and Frank prepared to exhale one long, guttural, feral war cry… but instead, he caught sight of Abby out of the corner of his eye and blinked in a moment of what could be perceived as embarrassment if he were actually even capable of residing in such an emotional state. He froze in his battle pose and let his cigarette fall to the floor, clearing his throat as Abby's confusion took on a life of its own, left her body, and permeated the room in a thick, muggy fog.

"Oh hey," he said. "How's uh… how's it goin', honey? You mind closin' that? You're lettin' out all the juju."

First and foremost, goddammit. He knew he had forgotten to lock the bathroom door even though he had reminded himself multiple times. The best laid plans, so they say. Secondly, and perhaps more pertinently, aw fuck. In one fell swoop, unbeknownst to Abigail Vance, the entire shape of Frank's investigation had transformed into something else entirely. Here's the thing about combining a whole mess of sacred rituals in an attempt to summon a possible ghost and/or demon from the so-called Great Beyond: Each of those rituals have their own set of carefully constructed rules and safety measures; call it OSHA for potentially spooky shit. Combining those rituals into a makeshift mass of arcane mumbo-jumbo causes a slew of unforeseen consequences, issues, and conflicts. Frank had prepared himself for this mentally and spiritually. He'd made his peace with the fact that he was playing a dangerous game and, in all likelihood, probably wouldn't live to tell the tale. Like all other things in his life, consequences were the least of his worries. However, in a thinly veiled attempt at protecting others from his own recklessness, Frank had committed himself to the idea that his entire Ghost Adventure would be a purely solitary affair. Now, by fate, fortune, or folly, Abby had unwittingly inserted herself as the leading woman in what was supposed to be a one-man show.

So, y'know, that wasn't good.

"This, uh, ain't what it looks like," Frank assured her. "Just ghost business, ma'am. No big deal. Don't worry your pretty little hea–AH! SHIT ON A BISCUIT!"

Here's another thing, this time about the peril of holding burning plant matter in your bare hands: Eventually, if given enough time and without the intervention of some variety of extinguishing agent, that plant matter will inevitably be burnt down to where your innocent hand is holding by the stems. One of the first warning signs to take note of is the presence of heat and that first tickle of pain, but if you find yourself in a particularly uncanny social situation that you're having difficulty gracefully navigating, your brain might not process this information how it should, especially if you're an idiot.

This is, in short, exactly what happened to Frank. When the miniature blaze lapped at unprotected skin, it gave him a firm jolt back to reality and forced him to drop the charred chard (heh). His feet went to stamping at the offending vegetable while his flame-kissed hand frantically rubbed itself against his shirt, knocking away any ember or cinder that might have come to rest.

When the potential of self-immolation was gone, Frank sighed, threw up his arms, and mumbled a sound that was a cross between a dismayed grunt and a curse. Eventually, he turned to face Abby, but kept his eyes firmly affixed off to the side. Under less precarious circumstances, her presence would have been a cause for celebration. She was a woman, he was a man, and instinct reigns supreme. The body wants what the body wants. The bathroom of a bar, in Frank's mind, was a secluded and magical place, full of romance and that certain… je nais se quois; a place where unbridled lust can take form and shape, lift you off the feet, and send you falling through the Tunnels of Lust… but this was no time to consider matters of the flesh. This was a matter of the spirit, a matter of the soul.

"Listen, uh… Abby? It's Abby, right? I could use your help here, honey," he started. "...whaddya know about ghosts?"

Abby didn't ever that question. Instead, she turned, closed the door, and left Frank to his own devices.

The seal had been broken.

The whole bar was in danger, spiritually speaking.

There was only one thing to be done...

Frank reached for the baggie of psilocybin mushrooms.

Last edited:
Character: Jason McCoy
Time/Location: A couple blocks away from the Mothlight, roughly 4:30 P.M.
Scene Status: Open.
Tagging: Yancey Klump ( @chap )

Snow.

He wasn’t sure he’d ever seen this much of it, but he’d always been ready for it. He’d never had to be this ready for it. Jason cursed to himself as he donned the thick gloves and layered up to brave the cold. The first step of all this was to get chains on the tires of his truck. If he was to make it into town at all, the beat up bastard would have to move - and move the snow in front of it as well.

The process wasn’t simple, at least not alone. It took some time, but after about thirty minutes of enjoying cold and wet knees pressed into the snow he had managed to finally complete the first task of two. Chains secured to each tire on the late model diesel truck, now was the really fun part. He trudged back into the garage that he called his home and dragged out a well-worn plow to be attached to the front of his truck. Unlike some of the newer style ones, this one was not very light nor easy to attach - but he was used to things like that given his knack for fixing what was broken. With some more cursing and aggravations along with some help from a few chains, he had it attached to the front of his truck. The slightly rusted and pitted V-shaped plow blade certainly gave his rig a meaner appearance even though the truck was headed into town with the exact opposite of ill intent.

Black smoke poured from the exhaust pipes at the rear of his vehicle as he started it and stepped on the accelerator, listening to the high-pitched whine as it drank its favorite fossil fuel and roared to life amidst the cold, rumbling and rattling in delight. He slid out of the cab to let it have its time to warm up while he locked up the garage. He was setting out to help, doing his civic duty as he assumed he might be one of the only folks with a vehicle that could actually maneuver through the heavy snow fall along with one of the only means to clear the roads aside from the scheduled passes of the heavier plow crews but who was to say when those would actually be back through Dawn Chorus? He threw some full gas cans into the back of his truck, a gift for none other than Virgil to keep his generator running. When he would make it to the refuge of the bar, he wasn’t sure, but he would surely end up there when the warmth of whiskey eventually called to him.

With the garage locked up, he hauled himself back into the cab of the truck and slammed the door shut, wincing at the metallic groan when the hinges disagreed with being moved, making a mental note for the umpteenth time that he needed to fix that and stop that god-forsaken noise from happening every time he shut the damned driver’s side door. The tires spun at first as he put his foot down on the accelerator, the engine roaring as the turbocharger whined its battle cry while black smoke again stained the snow at the backend of the truck. After several seconds, the heat of the tires melted enough snow that the chains could make purchase and finally the truck lurched forward with the plow ahead of it. Rivers of snow fell from each side of the vehicle as he tore through the road into town. Closer to the smaller streets of the city he slowed down and took his time, ensuring that more snow made it out of the street and a clearer path was carved down the center of the roads he travelled. It was loud as he went, the metal of the plow scraping occasionally when the surface of the asphalt wasn't exactly even or he hit a bump that rocked the truck one way or the other. The aggressive engine coupled with the occasional gale of wind could sound rather harrowing to someone who couldn't see the black truck as it marched down street after street, piling up snow on either side of it.

It wasn't exactly a professional job, but he was a licensed electrician and had a penchant for fixing things that used to work and no longer didn't. He wasn't sure that this quite fell into that vein, but.. he saw something he could do to help and fell into habit. He hadn't paid much attention to the time through the morning and couldn't really gauge it by the sun since.. well, you couldn't quite see it. A look at the clock said it was four in the afternoon and it had to have been twelve when he first made it into town. Surely he'd made a pass through most of the town by now. He had driven to the far side of town first, starting from the library and working his way back towards the side he'd driven in from. As he meandered the roads he started seeing the paths he'd made. They were starting to look a little less plowed, but still manageable with enough care. He would have to break for now as the sky seemed to be darkening and he couldn't be sure if it was just nightfall or more snow. He started towards the Mothlight, taking on the role of one of many moths to the single flame in town.

Wouldn’t you know it, the first street he turned down to head towards the bar was where he met the first sign of life since he arrived in town that day. It was a wonder the deputy hadn’t tried to signal him or flash him down with his blue lights, but Jason didn't bother asking the question hauled his truck to a stop next to Klump’s cruiser that he was standing outside of. The brakes argued a bit with the idea of stopping, but the large truck did finally halt and he shifted it out of gear before opening the door, standing with his feet on the inside of the cab and looking over the top of the truck at a somewhat familiar face on the other side of it. “I take it you might be a bit stuck, officer-” The smile was genuine, his expression calm despite the sheer state of emergency around them. “I could probably push it out, but I can’t promise I won’t cause any damage and I doubt you get very far before you end up in the same situation.” He turned his head to look up the road and back from them, noting street signs. The Mothlight would be just a couple of blocks straight ahead of them, and he imagined that's where Klump would have been headed before the slick tires of the cruiser failed him. “Where ya headed?” He had to speak louder than normal to be heard over the signature rattle of the diesel engine, but the truck would drink more fuel to shut off and start for the convenience of ease in conversation than it was worth.

Character: Theo Collins
Time/Location: || The Mothlight || First Floor || Booths
Scene Status: open
Tagging:
n/a

A pale hand clenched the soft fabric, pulling the white fluff closer to her chest. Her fingers lingered against the false fur until finding a piece long enough to aimlessly wrap a finger around. Wide ultramarine orbs looked onward from the booth she sat at. One thankfully positioned at the end of the congested bar. The Mothlight. Another destination Theo wasn’t familiar with, despite living a hop, jump, and skip away. On nights when she ventured home from work late Theo often weighed the idea of stopping for a drink, but ultimately continued to the old house fronting Gordon Lake.

Who would’ve thought a freak, fucking snow storm would finally invite her into those doors?

The old house left in Theo’s name was no match for the harsh winter weather. Especially one such as this. If it hadn’t been for the tip given from her nearest neighbor she’d still be hiding underneath every blanket in the house. Reaching her destination was a grueling task, an inexperienced and unprepared Theo marching into the whiteout was just about as easy going as bathing a cat.

Theo brushed off a sudden chill, merely thinking about what dear Mother Nature had in store for the small town. Hell, she was sure at least half of Dawn Chorus’s resistance were here - some treating it as a casual meetup, while others wore the same look of worry she held on her own brow. Finally she dropped her hand from her coat and aimed for the barely touched glass. Dragging her sights away she held up the beer ever so slightly, delivering a quick invisible cheers before bringing it to meet her mouth, tilting her head back enough to allow the dark liquid to rush inside.

Once the glass half emptied, Theo took in a quiet breath licking the bitter yet savory froth from her lips.

After a couple minutes she tossed the rest of the beverage back, closing her eyes to help better those final drops. Getting wasted was the last thing she needed to do, or wanted, she had tried the night she returned home from the Blue Rose. Drowning out what she convinced herself as a to be “mental breakdown” in a bottle of unlabeled scotch. However, she hadn’t been the only one to witness the bizarre happenings. Will - he was there…wasn’t he?

Theo rubbed each temple.

Maybe I did lose my shit.

The thought to try and get in touch with him after..well, everything, crossed her mind a couple times. If only to clear up what was already suspected. Zara certainly wasn’t fond of countless call outs following the event and excuse were running out. How could she bring herself to return there? Tell the truth without sounding completely insane? After what had happened, what was seen, heard. Of course she hadn’t spoken a word of it to anyone (despite the boiling mix of emotion spilling over like a waterfall)

Fuck.​

Allowing her back to slide further down the seat Theo ran her hands through her ink colored hair, tucking whatever annoying strains tickled the side of her cheeks. Anyone would see the woman was on edge, nervous even. Her gaze moved back to the empty glass - the great debate on a refill returning with vengeance. What could one more hurt? As of now, she was stuck. Stuck here and stuck with thoughts of an endlesshaunting hallway. It had been the first time she had attempted to conceal the dark circles forming under sleepless eyes. Not even in this element did she want those around to see. A part of her kept on the lookout for fellow coworkers…mostly for Zara.

Get it together. Have another damn drink and calm down.
Theo peeled back the layers of clothing like a snake shedding it’s skin, starting with the fur coat which she hung on the side of the booth. Finally feeling dry and warm enough for her original attire. The dark brunette folded the damp clothing, stuffing the articles inside of her shoulder bag. Giving the bottom of her crimson long sleeve a tug Theo slid back into her original position, extending her long legs across the seat where she pulled back on her boots.

Once more her gaze moved around the room, taking in the sea of faces long enough to notice anyone she knew. Aside from a few regulars from work her eyes met none, at least from where she was. Summoning up the motivation to move let alone get up, Theo caved and fumbled for her wallet, making the final call on another beer, if not something stronger, and self tour. Besides, what better time than right now to check the place out?

Last edited:
Character: Ruslan Borispol
Time/Location: Around 4:15 PM | Netherland Inn --> The Mothlight

The Netherland Inn

As the late afternoon brewed in and the weather wasn't getting any better, neither was the conditions inside the Inn. The power kept going on and off periodically and the wisping noise of the wind slamming against the window from the outside didn't make things any better. Ruslan was meant to take a trip into Mount Sanguine in the coming days on a survey expedition for the State Wildlife and Ecological Department working on conjunction with his contracting company back in New Jersey, but with such unprecedented weather there was no telling when it'd be favorable conditions to venture back out into the mountains again.

Sitting inside his small room with nothing to look at except his laptop with his internet connected to his own modem, a variety of movies and shows downloaded, not to mention the vodka he'd also bought from the local store awhile back, this was all the entertainment that garnered him in this hibernating state. But even having his laptop on a backup battery bank, that eventually found less appealing factors to it all.

He stared out of his window and then out into the hallway again when the power was out when he spoke to a local for a minute. They talked generally about their places of work, where they're from, and then they'd mentioned about the Mothlight being open still. He was there not too long ago when he first showed up to town, was actually the first place he'd gotten a drink from. Certain characters stuck to mind like that young woman who called herself 'Yaya', he thought. And that weird, but friendly fellow who he thought was checking him out while he tried to respectfully decline his advances. Wasn't common at all in his home country.

Eventually he'd summoned the courage to bundle up in his thick blue hoodie and black wool coat where he found himself gathering the essentials. His car keys, even though despite his vehicle being okay to drive in inclement weather, it was a short walk and he was fine with the cold. His wallet, phone, a spring-activated blade and a leather man tool. One last thing he contemplated on taking was his Smith and Wesson .44 which sat in a leather waist holster meant for personal protection against bears, but it could be for people too. After much deliberation, he didn't want to be bothered carrying a heavy piece with him all the way to the Mothlight. It was down the street, there was just no need.

The Mothlight

The walk was short, but the snow did a lot to impede his movement for a bit. He started off with his thick all-weather and terrain maroon colored high knee boots kicking up snow and his pale face wincing against the wind. His eyes teared up as the cold winds attacked him like a typhoon, making it uncomfortable but not blinding. His gloved hands remain burrowed in his coat pockets to keep as much layers against Mother Nature as possible. Eventually, he'd make it to his destination after crossing a desolate street without looking both ways. Who'd be nuts to drive out in this weather besides emergency services?

Pushing his way through the door, he was quick to close it behind him to prevent any of the warm air from getting out. He stammered out a sigh and proceeded to adjust and fix himself by brushing any of the white sheens of snow that stuck to his wool overcoat. He did the same to his hair, dipping it down and then stomping against the door mat with his boots to clean as much of the rubber off of moisture as possible. Finally, he started to venture further past the foyer and at first near the booths.

Ruslan's mouth was agaped as he tried catching his breath and also getting a view at those that remained idle within the booths and tables. It was here he turned his attention towards the bar as he began to work his way for the sight of something familiar to him. Like last time, he tried taking the same seat that he was at last time he was around the Mothlight, at the far end of the banister closest to the pathway behind it. He draped his stool with his coat and then hopped up to lean his upper body against the wooden engraved surfacing. His hands came up to rub across his face, which reminded him to peel his gloves off his person as well.

Last edited:
Character: Will Whitford
Time/Location: Late Afternoon(ish) | Bar, Main Level
Tagging: @Praxis (Elizabeth)

Will wasn't in the mood for The Mothlight, but that was nothing new.

It wasn't his scene. The people weren't his crowd. Snow wasn't his weather, so in brief summation, today wasn't his fucking day. A scowl resided uncomfortably on his well-formed features, doing little to dampen his physical appeal. He stood just inside the doorway of the bar, a towering monument to dissatisfaction.

"We aren't meant for snow like this down here," his father had told him three hours prior, aging eyes resigned to the ominous. "The town turns strange in times like this."

Immediately afterward the observation, William Sr. announced the day’s closure of Whitford & Whitford: their meetings were cancelled, and all business of law was ceasing for at least the following twenty-four hours.

Will was annoyed by his father's decision. It wasn't the closing that bothered him - he'd planned on that regardless - but that he wasn't consulted in the decision. He was a partner and due the respect of his position. He almost kept his scheduled meetings, just to spite the old man. Almost.

Once the anger subsided, something more sinister assumed his regard. The last part of his father's statement repeated in refrain in the back of his mind, prompting him to concern - a feeling that he habitually circumvented through tactics of denial. The town turns strange in times like this. Does the weather cause the strangeness, or does the strangeness summon the weather? After all, things had appeared off-kilter recently, like the bizarre hallway-like tunnels emanating from The Blue Rose, wandering in confounding branches through what must have been numerous city blocks. No. His thoughts halted and dimmed, the memory drawn behind a curtain of refusal. No, he assured himself again, it was fine. Normal. Just untouched property from the old days. Downtown Dawn Chorus had been through a pile of renovations; it was no surprise certain liminal areas had been overlooked.

The answer he wanted and needed was this: His father was old, and losing his sharpness. Superstition was the realm of those who couldn't handle reality. Reality was simple and profitable, if you had his resources.

And he had everything — right?

When things went so well, sometimes it's hard to notice the shadow of encroaching trouble, especially after a lifetime of ease. Hard to see the looming failure of a marriage, or the emptiness of random affairs, or the lack of respect afforded by a father, despite an established partnership. He ignored these pesky inklings. The world had endless distractions, and they were often quite welcoming.

This distraction, The Mothlight, had not yet proven itself to be welcoming. But it was, for today, the only distraction in town.

The dive was already evening-crowded in late afternoon, but a seat at the bar nevertheless awaited him, the only one remaining. He took it and placed a drink order (whiskey, neat, a double, fuck it), and sat in uncharacteristic silence, staring gloomily at the glittering bottles of spirits behind the bar. For a few moments, he existed in isolation, impervious to the noise and fluster of his surroundings. The town turns strange. No stranger than normal. Old man needs to retire, spend more time with mom.

There's no telling how many drinks he would have consumed in this fashion, had a sliver of conversation not pierced the satisfaction of his brooding: a name, the Pinnacle Group, spoken close by an unfamiliar female voice - not only unfamiliar in tone, but also in the shape of syllables. Not from here.

He shifted on the barstool, actively alert to the conversation, his broad shoulders angling slightly to the left. As he took a drink, his eyes cut toward the voice, spying the back of the woman's head. She was right next to him. Nothing to recognize. The woman appeared slim and sharp, clad in sleek black. City. Must be the one who emailed the firm about local property, a message shrugged off by his father without consideration. And she, apparently, was taking meetings despite the storm. A meeting with - he straightened slightly, peering unobtrusively beyond her - Quentin Severin, who was looking directly at him now, with whom he locked eyes quite unintentionally. Fuck. And yet, he held his gaze steady, unwilling to concede the stare. Finally, Quentin returned his full attention to the woman, and Will was committed to the question of why.

He had no affection for Quentin; he barely knew him. He didn't want to know him. He was on the city council, which was his only mark of esteem, in Will's opinion. According to Zara, he was mostly useless, a freak.

This was strange, snowstorm aside.

Why was the Pinnacle woman talking to Severin? He was suspicious, intrigued. He tried to recall the name attached to the message. Lindsey? Elizabeth? He finished his drink and ordered another, taking the moment to pull up his work email on his phone. Elizabeth Pratt, real estate investment. As he waited for his drink, impatience got the better of him, and he spoke up, heedless of the conversation already in progress.

"Excuse me, Miss Pratt? Elizabeth?" he said, his refined accent softening the sharper edges of her name, curling around it with familiar warmth. "What a fortunate coincidence, I was just looking over your message this morning. William Whitford," he smiled, his expression turning to calculated hospitality. She was quite attractive, despite the black. "Whitford & Whitford."

No acknowledgement of Quentin; the man could fade easily into the shadows, it seemed appropriate for his type.

"So you've had the good fortune of being stuck with us for this strange ordeal?" he quipped with a smile, far too familiar for the circumstances.

Character: Grace Letts
Time/Location: Evening | Main Floor
Scene Status: Open! Seriously!
Tagging:

(continued from here)

Three drinks down, Grace came back to life. The people were close, the seats were taken. Invisibility existed in the unassuming crowd, an opportunity to avoid scrutiny by virtue of simple numbers. Perfect for someone who was terrified to be alone, for now, for tonight, for longer maybe, but she didn't want to think about that - or anything else. The alcohol burned; it was a straight shot, and it was whiskey because she was in Tennessee and whiskey's what Tennessee did, presumably. She drank and grimaced and shuddered, but it was nevertheless a relief. Repeated three times over, the terror's edge dulled in hazy memory.

It was just a snowstorm. These people were just enjoying themselves. There was nothing to fear right now, nothing strange. The door was closed. The key was gone. She was fine. The lingering scald of liquor in her throat made her head feel hot and full and unsteady, her pulse throbbing in her temples. She wasn't supposed to drink this much, but fuck it. Caution vanished with the third drink, everyone knew that, and whatever would happen tonight had already launched inexorably forward. It was too late.

She began threading her way back toward the bar, unfamiliar bodies crowding close, their alcohol-animated voices and accidental nudges so perfectly real, so normal, so fine. A nondescript, inoffensive man in a forgettable plaid button-down smiled at her, and she smiled in return. Easy.

"What are you drinking?" he asked, just like a real person.

"Shot of whiskey," she drawled, suddenly giddy with confidence, security, normalcy. "Wanna join me?"

The man studied at her, his amused expression lingering half a second too long, half a second for doubt to blossom. Did she look like she had been crying? Was her makeup smeared, her eyes red? Was her hair mussed from her frantic stumbling back up the steps? She’d spent half an hour in the ladies’ bathroom, gathering her composure and wondering what the hell was occurring in the men’s (and hoping, desperately, that she wasn’t just imagining the unearthly sounds). She thought she looked okay.

You'll have to excuse me, tonight's been weird. The music was loud, wasn't it? She opened her mouth to assure —

"Yeah, of course," he conceded happily. The burgeoning doubts faded like voices across vanishing distance, like a volume down button for relentless mental fuckery. It was a perfect distraction.

Grace held up two fingers as she placed her order at the bar, her mood far lighter than it had any business being. Three minutes later, she was clinking glasses with her newfound drinking buddy and tossing it back. Then they were both laughing, and laughing too hard, Grace choked by the sting. It wasn't funny, but it was - she coughed and gasped and laughed, relieved to be having such a standard interaction with such a standard guy.

"Ah, I fuckin' hate shots," she managed between giggles.

“I can tell!” He quipped, his voice lifted to best the crowd. "You just here hidin' from the storm?"

"Yeah," she responded, her throat raw and straining from volume. "I lost power at my house, so I came here to grade papers!"

"Grade papers?" he repeated, leaning toward her, ostensibly to hear better. An exaggerated sweep of his hand highlighted her lack of papers and, more broadly, obvious dearth of professional toil. Save the shot glass, her hands were empty. "Teacher, huh? How'd it go - where are they?"

The absurdity of everything overwhelmed her, suddenly hilarious, and she started laughing anew, so hard she almost couldn't answer. "I — I accidentally dropped them going into this weird basement room downstairs! You’ll never believe this, but there was a TV down there, an old one, and it wasn't plugged in, but it was still playing this strange message about, well, me I think! Talking about chimeras and stuff, and it was the weirdest thing, but sometimes I just, you know, like imagine these things, so maybe none of it was real anyway. Crazy, huh?"

As she spoke, the humor bled from the man's expression, though the smile persisted in a faintly strained incarnation. Polite.

"Well, I hope you find them," he offered, his attention already edging uncomfortably away.

"Yeah, I doubt that," Grace continued, oblivious in her desperate, mostly-drunk amusement, "I'm pretty sure they're gone, and I'm pretty sure I'm not going back down there."

He gave her a paternal pat on the upper left arm.

"Well, good luck with that. I gotta go back to my buddies. Stay safe in this storm, okay? See ya around."

Grace's laughter trailed off. Her features grew solemn. She nodded numbly after him, even though he was already disappearing into the press of people. Fuck him anyway.

Character: Yancey Klump
Time/Location: 3:30-4:30 | DCPD > On the Beat > The Side of the Road
Tagging:

Aruba, Jamaica, ooh, I wanna take ya…

Yancey sipped his (virgin) margarita from a fishbowl glass as he reclined in his beach chair, serenaded by a steel drum rendition of "Kokomo" by The Beach Boys. This, he thought. This is livin'. The coastal tide lapped at the sand while the flocking seabirds sang their dissonant song. Out on the horizon, a solitary surfer rode the crest of a high and beautiful wave. There was no one else on the beach. There were no worries and nothing to dwell on. Every anxiety Yancey might have felt vanished with the sea-salt breeze, replaced by that serene sense of inner peace, outer peace, and absolute relaxation.

...Bermuda, Bahama, come on, pretty mama…

Far from Dawn Chorus and the ever present albatross of responsibility, far from where the ghost of Jim Crow still lorded over the land like a fallen tyrant, far from dead bodies on main streets and vanishing dogs in ramshackle trailer parks and missing people who might never be found. Out here, he could bury his toes in the sand and just watch the clouds float by from behind a pair of wayfarer sunglasses. Out here, life moved in slow motion, a taciturn excistence. Out here, everything was fine and nothing hurt.

...Key Largo, Montego, baby, why don't we go? Klump…?

Suddenly and without warning, a distant, deafening noise interrupted Yancey's relaxation. It was a sound that made the ground shudder and the clouds disperse. Yancey sat up in his chair with furrowed brows, head swiveling as he tried to determine the approaching danger.

Ooh, I wanna take you… Klump!

Without warning, a snowplow truck came veering out from between a grove of palm trees, dredging the sand as Yancey scrambled backwards to keep from being run over. His margarita went flying into the air, blue slush and little umbrellas raining down from above, as he crab walked in reverse away from the heaving machination. The plow turned on a dime and centered Yancey directly in its path of destruction. Beneath a cacophony of revving motors, screeching tires, and howling exhaust pipes, Yancey let out a scream that echoed all the way to French Polynesia.

...down to Kokom– OFFICER KLUMP!

Yancey nearly fell out of his chair when Officer Rafferty's palm slapped the back of his head, eyes snapping wide open and hands clutching at the armrests to keep from tipping over. For a moment, through bleary, sleep-addled eyes, Yancey didn't recognize where he was... but when his gaze panned upwards to see Rafferty standing over him with crossed arms and that look of absolute contempt, reality rapped its knuckles on the inside of his skull. Oh, the police station with its musty smell and its terrible lighting and its good old boy atmosphere. Where else would he be?

"Oh. Oh my gosh," Yancey said, sputtering his words. "I must have... nodded off for a moment there. I'm so sorr--"

"Well, wake up, sunshine," Rafferty scowled. "We drew names out of the hat and you're up for patrol, Prancey."

Yancey gulped. "P-Patrol? But… but it's… it's a blizzard out there. And… and it's nearly the end of my shift. And… and… an–"

"Don't tell me you're scared of driving in snow, too," Rafferty said, a fake pout curling at the edges of his lips before he tossed a set of squad car keys in Yancey's lap. "It's almost as simple as you are, buddy. Slow, steady, take 'er easy, and don't wind up in a ditch. I sure as hell ain't haulin' your ass out, that's for sure."

Another gulp, another stifled protest, but it was too late. Rafferty was already turning and walking away, snickering to himself. Yancey looked down at the car keys laying in his lap and sighed, shaking his head back and forth. "Doggone it," he said. "Dagnabbit to heck."

And so, Yancey bundled up in his puffer jacket, pulled his toboggan over his head, put his unwieldy gloves on either hand, and checked his bag for all the necessary provisions: A semi-healthy snack consisting of apple slices, four Nilla Wafers, and gummy vitamins in case he got hungry, his inhaler in case the cold made his lungs seize up, a spare inhaler in case the first one got jammed, dental floss in case a piece of wayward apple got stuck between his teeth, half a Xanax in case bad times turned into worse times, a lactose intolerance pill in case of any meetings with cheesekind, and his trusty saxophone in case of the need to groove.

At the threshold of the Sheriff Department's front door with the duffel bag full of his belongings slung over his shoulder, Yancey stared out into the white. The falling snow made it look as though the world was made of television static, the whooshing wind acting as a reminder of Mother Nature's scorn. The parking lot was absolutely covered and the roads were only marginally better. Yancey's fingers quaked to the bone as he eased his way down the front stoop, boot scooting across the pavement to keep from face planting. Inside the police cruiser, he turned the defroster up as high as it could go as he sat in the front seat with chattering teeth and fogged up glasses.

From there, it went like this.

1600 Hours.
Yancey drove along the length of Partridge Street at no more than five miles per hour, tires crunching the snow beneath their tread. There were no other cars or people inside. This must be what it feels like to be in Antarctica, he thought. At the bottom of everything.

1610 Hours.
With some slight trace of confidence beginning to bubble up from beneath all that doom, Yancey kicked it up to the speedy pace of ten whole miles per hour as he cruised down Chorus Boulevard. The interior of the car had become comfortably warm, and Yancey even turned on the tunes to keep himself occupied. He was relieved to hear DJ Back-That-Jazz-Up's Bebop and Boogaloo Power Hour was still on despite the inclement weather. Oh Mr. Coltrane, Yancey thought. You saucy old devil you.

1620 Hours
Yancey drove down a long stretch of Netherland Avenue before turning around in the Ouroboros parking lot. By then, he had braved the snow and the ice and the cold and he was supposed to be off duty in thirty minutes. He'd heard about the get together at The Mothlight on the radio and, with his saxophone laying dormant in the backseat, it seemed like the perfect opportunity to blow a little wind, chat with some friends, and maybe even ask for Yaya's number if he was feeling particularly intrepid. Welly, well,well, Yancey thought. What a drive. Just exhilarating! Winter, you rascal, you're not so bad after all. Snow? Psshaw! Ice? Get outta town! It's not a problem for Yancey Klump, Supercop and Lawman Extraordinai–

"OH HEAVENS TO BETSY!"

That last bit was an actual, vocalized exclamation. Driving down Netherland Avenue towards Downtown Dawn Chorus, it all went topsy turvy. First, his tires squealed and hissed and lost their grip and then his steering wheel stopped steering and just swung erratically from left to right and then the car was spinning in circles like a Russian ballerina and then Yancey was screaming and then he was stopped on the side of the road against an embankment of snow with both hands still glued to the wheel and his eyes wide and his breath caught in his lungs and his heart attempting to beat a hole through his chest and his soul threatening to leave his body.

"Oh jeez," Yancey yelped. "Oh jeez. Oh no. Oh criminy. Oh… Oh jeez."

Yancey felt that old beast panic wash over him, consuming him, swallowing him whole. It began as pins and needles in his hands and feet, crawling up beneath his clothes as his throat tightened and his eyes watered and his lips quivered. A peculiar pressure settled between his eyebrows and stars started appearing in his vision and his temples felt mushy. Without knowing what else to do, Yancey snatched the keys from the ignition without even checking to see if the car was actually stuck. He pushed open the car door, climbed out of the driver's seat, stepped out into winter's embrace, and watched as his ragged breath turned to vapor in the air.

1630 Hours
He paced back and forth on dizzy legs, arms crossing over his chest half to keep himself warm and half in a vain attempt to calm down the quickening palpitations. He felt like he was about to faint and steadied himself against the hood of the cruiser, woozy eyed and clenched jaw. After ten whole minutes of standing in the cold practicing every calming exercise he knew to dissuade the effervescent panic that was rushing through his very being, Yancey accepted his fate. This is it, Yancey thought. This is how you die. A Yancesicle, frozen solid on the side of the road. Oh jeez. Oh jeez. Oh jee–

Just as Yancey settled into the 'dark night of the soul' stage of his anxiety attack, two twin headlights appeared just down the road. Yancey squinted his eyes as he peered through the falling snow, the sound of a diesel engine growing louder and louder as the headlights got closer and closer. Eventually, a truck appeared out of winter's gloom with a snowplow attached to the front end. For a split second, Yancey recalled his daydream and how it had almost ended and a whole new set of fears came bubbling up in his brain, but thankfully, the truck came to a slow halt next to where the cruiser had come to rest. Jason McCoy, a local handyman who Yancey had met on only a handful of occasions, poked his torso out of the driver's side window. Yancey blinked at his would-be savior, still a shivering, sniveling mess.

"I'm… um… y-yes, I'm s-s-stuck," Yancey said through chattering teeth. "…The… The Mothlight. I'm trying to get to The Mothlight."

Yancey shifted back and forth on his feet, fingers splaying out before closing into fists again and again. He had never been good at asking for help. He didn't like the idea of being an inconvenience, especially with someone he didn't know all that well. Even so, this was a dire situation. This was a matter of life and death. This was a matter of survival. Yancey had seen enough Liam Neeson movies to know you had to do whatever it takes. "I... think the car will be fine where it is, but um… do you… do you think you could give me a ride? Please?"

Puppy dog eyes and two trembling hands pressed together in prayer. There was barely even a moment of hesitation before Jason waved his arm for Yancey to come on in and the sweet sound of the passenger side door unlocking cut through the noise of the diesel engine's roar. Yancey nearly leapt off his feet, hurriedly grabbing his bag from the backseat of the cruiser before climbing into the cab of the truck. Once inside, he was a fount of appreciation, his crackling voice exploding with every expression of gratitude he could muster.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" he all but shouted, even as his frayed nerves still set off fireworks in his brain. "You saved my life! I'm forever in your debt! I'm eternally grateful! Oh jeez, I'll never forget this. You're the real McCoy, Mr. McCoy!"

And just like that, the truck began its slow, uneventful drive down Netherland Avenue and towards The Mothlight. The police cruiser disappeared in the rearview mirror, left to its fate. Somewhere, the remaining Beach Boys clinked their margarita glasses on a private beach in the Caribbean.

Yancey sighed and smiled and shook his head. Everything was going to be all right.

Time/Location: Main Floor, Bar

"Oh good, she's coming over. Couldn't get her attention myself, guess I'm not pretty enough," the drunk to her right chuckled, woozily swaying on the barstool as bloated fingers pawed his glass.

Julia's gaze flickered sideways beneath a furrowing brow, her smile faltering momentarily. Ignore, she reminded herself, it's not worth engaging. As her attention returned to Yaya, she felt a twinge of empathy watching the girl sail through her own minor annoyance, the only indication of her dissatisfaction a nearly-imperceptible hardening of pretty features. Julia knew Darla; she was a notorious busybody and poor tipper. She called the newspaper weekly, at minimum, to express some outrage or another. Potholes. Solicitors. Illuminati conspiracies. Everyone knew Darla. Everyone wished they didn't.

Yaya drifted over, and Julia renewed that failing smile: warm and calm, with compelling interest. Almost everyone, even if they denied it, loved talking to reporters. It made them feel important. Even if they refused to answer her questions, even if they responded with self-righteous outrage and scorn, they still liked the fact they were being asked, that their significance had finally been recognized. The only exception, in her experience, were those who were legitimately guilty of some wrongdoing.

(Like Will, when she asked where he was last Wednesday night. But that was personal, not professional, and best not to think about right now.)

"I'm good, actually," she admitted, "I was wondering if Virgil was around? The Tribune will be running a story about The Mothlight as part of our snowstorm coverage, and I'd like to get a quote or two from him."

Julia leaned forward, her inky-dark eyes sweeping the length behind the bar, otherwise empty. A pair of elegant brows lifted in curiosity.

"He doesn't have you working here by yourself during all this, right?"

"Enough chatting ladies, I need a beer!" exclaimed the sot to her side, punctuating his demand with a thump of his empty glass against the bartop, his jowls quivering with impatience.

"Shut the fuck up." Immediate and honed to a merciless, quiet edge, Julia turned fully toward the drunk, mustering all the intimidation her lean frame offered - which was, in popular opinion, disproportionate and plentiful. The man recoiled into his corpulent self, muttering indistinctly as he slid off the stool and waddled away.

By the time Julia resumed her exchange with Yaya, a note of apology crept into her voice, "Sorry about that. Can you tell me where to find your uncle?"

Character: Jason McCoy
Time/Location: Netherland Ave. > The Mothlight around 5:00 P.M.
Scene Status: Open.
Tagging: @chap. ( Yancey Klump )

Jason watched the unusual deputy spring into action when he agreed to give the stranded brother in blue a ride to the safety of the Mothlight, raising an eyebrow as he seemed to believe he was going to be left out in the cold at any second. No matter how peculiar Deputy Klump was, freezing to death was no way to go. "I don't know about forever in my debt. You protect and serve, the least I can do is get you out of the cold." He spoke up as he looked around the truck while it shifted forward, careful to avoid the now abandoned police cruiser as he eased the truck around it.

He pushed his foot forward into the accelerator to feed the beast of a vehicle, the diesel engine hungry for more as it begged to be satiated. The vehicle almost seemed to roar with glee, the high-pitched whine of power as it found speed and traction though less of the latter and more of the former with snow on all sides of it and the weighty plow attached to the front of it pushing rivers of pure white out to both sides of the vehicle. Jason smirked at the comment about being the real McCoy. Despite it being his last name, he had to reckon that was his first time hearing that. "Y'know, I can't actually argue with you on that one." He laughed at himself and shook his head, but held quiet for the rest of the drive. It wasn't far to the Mothlight, but of course the conditions made it difficult even for the only truck that could probably traverse the roads in this damned town at the moment.

Finally, finally.. they arrived.

He eased up along the side of the rode into the parallel parking spots and then carefully eased the tires onto the sidewalk. Inside, the patrons of the Mothlight might have noticed the flash of headlights as the front of the truck turned briefly towards the building before Jason steered away and straightened the vehicle out and brought it to a stop not far at all from the very doors of the establishment. "V.I.P. Parking - nothing less for a lawman I'd say." He smirked at Yancey before reaching for the key and shutting the truck down. He pulled the key from the ignition and slid it into his pocket before opening his door and dropping out of the cab into the cold. The faster he got inside the better, but he was a little paranoid about his truck being locked if anyone asked. "Grab that bag of yours and make sure you lock the door." He called to Klump and then reached up to lock the driver's side door before giving it a hard shove to slam it shut.

Without giving much attention to whether or not Klump was following him or not, Jason was ready to get out of this cold. He'd done his good deed for the day and was ready to ease his mind for a bit, or at least after he let Virgil know that he brought some fuel for the generators should it be needed. He pushed the doors of the bar open and let himself in, nodding at those inhabiting the tables closest to the door while he kicked some snow off of his boots and removed his gloves. He stuffed them in the pocket of the heavier coat before bringing his hands to his face and breathing into them to find the life in his fingertips as if he'd just braved the blizzard in anything but the safety of the cab of a vehicle with a working heater. Finding an empty table, he shed the heavier coat from his shoulders and laid it over the back of a chair to claim it. The bar seemed mostly occupied, the sole friendly face behind it occupied and buzzing back and forth so quickly he felt no want to push the issue. He was of course familiar with a lot of the faces of the town if only by face and not by name due to his work, but it had been some time since he'd actually set foot in the Mothlight.

He looked up and around him at the lights, taking care to listen to the volume of the music as well. Virgil certainly had the place in full swing. It made him wonder just what kind of generators he had running the joint as he took his seat at the table, content with taking a moment to drink in the scenery before finding conversation or letting it find him.

Character: Frank, his mustache, and Patrick Swayze. Mostly.
Time/Location: The men's bathroom at The Mothlight. Mostly.
Scene Status: Closed. Mostly.
Tagging: Theo (@sky.)

Dig, if you will, the picture.

It begins with the gnashing of teeth and a lot of grimacing. He's never liked the taste, you know. It's the same flavor as shit-caked dirt or dirt-caked shit, depending on who you ask. It gets between the gums and it embeds itself in the back of your throat and it stays there for days. There's a Ziploc baggie on the floor at his feet and a whole eighth of hallucinogenic mushrooms in his mouth and he's just chewing and chewing and chewing. Look at how the drool seeps over his lower lip, spiderweb thin lines of spittle hanging off his mustache. Look at how either eye wells up with tears as the caps and stems get ground down to a fungal mash. Look at how he swallows and then gags and then pounds his fist on his chest and then swallows again. Look at how he takes his medicine like a good little Frankie. Look at him, out of breath and hunched over, making noises that sound somewhere between relief and dry heaving.

Let's talk about chemistry for a minute, folks. First and foremost, the key ingredient in magic mushrooms is a tryptamine derivative called psilocybin; that's important, in case you're taking notes. As all those chewed up mushies made their way down Frank's gullet, the psilocybin broke off and took a pit stop in his liver where it was broken down in a process called dephosphorylation. In a rapid reaction, a compound called psilocin takes form and shape. From there, the psilocin plays a game of fisticuffs with the 5-HT2A serotonin receptors in the prefrontal cortex. Within thirty minutes and with any luck, walls start to breathe and floors begin to melt.

And then we sit back and watch the magic happen.

Thirty minutes. That's all it takes before Frank is in the thick of it. Sweat, it's pouring off his forehead in great tidal waves. Pupils, they're dilated and twitching and threatening to pop out of his skull. He can't tell if he's breathing too fast or too slow or even at all. Every fluorescent light has a tracer attached and those tracers veer off into geometric patterns and those geometric patterns turn into fireworks and those fireworks are e v e r y w h e r e. Euphoria and paranoia become interchangeable terms. His stomach quivers with something akin to nausea, but it's a sentient sort of nausea with its own wants and needs and desires and purpose. With a voice that bellows and echoes and reverberates through the room, Frank screams out the words that are etched on his soul:

"HOT SHOES, BURNIN' DOWN THE AVENUE! GOT AN ON-RAMP COMIN' THROUGH MY BEDROOM!"

And then he's smiling and then he's laughing and then he's screaming and then he's karate chopping the air, ritualistically severing the line that's kept him tethered to reality for this long.

Ladies and gentlemen…

For one night only…

May I introduce to you…

The act you've known for all these years…

FRANKLIN ROOSEVELT LIDDLE!

I just flew into town and boy are my arms tired.

That's a joke, by the way. I've never been on a plane before. You believe that shit? Thirty-something years old and I've never flown. I've barely even left Tennessee. Shit.

Oh. Hey. I'm Frank. Every woman's dream, every jealous husband's nightmare, yadda-yadda-ya. You know me, right?

So, I ate these mushrooms, right? They've done went and enshrined themselves in my soul and made my head go all topsy-turvy, so now I'm talking to you like we're old chums. Really, if you want to get all cynical about it like some sorta buzzkill, this is just chap's excuse to get all metatextual and weird, but you know what? I don't know who chap is, so go fuck yourself. This is my time to shine. It's like a fellow Frank once said: Myyyyyyy wayyyy. That's the way I'm doing it, I mean. Fuck. I got to get back on track here. Okay, all right, okay. Let me clear my throat.

Ahem.

So, I ate these mushrooms, right? Ate 'em all. They tasted like dirt-caked shit or shit-caked dirt, I'm not sure which. Either way, they went down the ol' hatch and now they're makin' a mess of my perception of reality. I'm sure a lot of you in the audience think that's a bad idea, but you've got to understand what I'm aimin' to do here. Do ya'll know what a vision quest is? Harkens back to the Natives, I reckon, but like most things involvin' 'em, it's been bastardized to hell and back. Nowadays, it basically means you get real fucked up and try to talk with your ancestors about the shit that's got you depressed. Now, I ain't too depressed and I ain't got nothin' to say to no kith or kin, but what I do have is a bone to pick with a scumsuckin', pigfuckin', ghostly, pickle-dicked sonuvabitch named Morris Blevins that decided to scare the piss out of me after I'd already finished pissin'.

Hence all of the this.

So, I ate these mushrooms, right? Shit, sorry, I keep repeating myself. Let's skip ahead of all the explainin' and get down to brass tacks.1​

About… oh, ten minutes or so after my mind expanded in a million different directions, I looked in the mirror and watched my mustache crawl off my face. That was unnerving at first, but then I realized what was happenin'. That mustache crawled down my forearm, across the porcelain sink, down the wall, and onto the floor. I watched it slither across the cement floor, go into the haunted stall, crawl up onto the toilet seat, and pop a squat on the rim. It sat there for a minute and then it said what needed to be said.

"Frank, we're just about snookered between the back cushion and touchin' the eight ball."

"What do you mean, Mr. Stache?" I asked. "What, praytell, art thou implying?"2​

"Look here, boyo," Mr. Stache said. "You're in over your head. Do you have any idea of all the cosmically vague and spiritually inaccessible shit you're dealin' with right now? You've put yourself in the sightlines of some shit you don't want no part of."

I spat on the ground and, if I were wearing a cowboy hat, I would've tipped it. "I've been doin' that my whole life, honey," I said. "Ain't. Nothin'. New."3​

"First and foremost," Mr. Stache said. "Don't you ever fuckin' call me honey again, you little shit. Second off, you don't understand. This is some dark shit, Frank. This ain't no regular ghost. This ain't even a poltergeist. This is a–"

BAM! I succumb to a fit of vomiting. It's okay, this is just part of the journey, but when I look up, Mr. Stache is gone. I feel my face and find that he's back where he belongs, right beneath my nose and right above my lips. A part of me is glad for the sake of The Ladies, but another part of me is upset that I didn't get to hear all of what he had to say. It seemed important. It probably wasn't. Fuck it.

So, I ate these mushrooms, right? Time means nothing down here. I'm at the bottom of everything where you can really feel God's scorn for one and all. I don't know if it's been three minutes or three days, but my shirt has come off and disappeared and I don't remember when that happened, but it did and that's okay and I'm fine with it, I guess. The sweat is making my eyeliner run down my cheeks in little streams or maybe I'm just crying, I can't tell. There's a fear in the back of my head that keeps telling me my bones are turning to glass, so I'm moving real slow and with real caution as I make my way back towards the haunted stall. The DVD of Patrick Swayze's Ghost has fallen into the toilet, so I reach my hand in and fish it out, shaking off all the water before I close my eyes.

I'm at the pottery wheel and Patrick Swayze's strong arms are wrapped around me.4​

I feel at peace. I feel at ease. I feel that feeling you feel when you come home after a long trip and you're just happy to be back where you belong.

Patrick Swayze guides my hand along the misshapen vase, turning it into something beautiful and unique and perfect. His lips graze my ear so softly and then he whispers so sweetly.

"Beneath these stars, the mind wanders and wanes.
You are the blood and I am the vein.
You are the casket and I am the earth.
You are the moth and I am the flame.
Sleep well and with knowing: Chaos reigns forevermore."
5​

I open my eyes to a knocking on the bathroom door. It sounds so loud that my brain rattles in my skull. The walls are breathing and my feet look like they're sinking into the floor as I make my way across the room. I pause as I reach for the door handle, biting at my lower lip as I consider the implications of who or what might be on the other side.

I take a deep breath. I could really use a cigarette right about now. I open the door and then…

I see radiance and holy light and it has a name that I can't remember.

I can only speak in vowels.6​

And then it dawns on me:

"...holy shit."7​

I've seen that face before. It's that waitress from The Blue Rose. I still can't remember her name; I'm not even sure I've ever known it, if we're being honest here. But there she is and there's white light pouring off of her skin and her eyes are glowing colors I ain't never seen before and I'm fairly sure I'm face to face with a vision of divinity.

"I'm sorry if I've asked this before. I'm very high right now, but I've got to know," I said, but I'm talking louder than I mean to. "Are you like... a goddess or somethin'?"8​

For once, that wasn't a pick up line. I promise.9​

1. From here on out, since we're taking a detour through Frank's POV, it's impossible to decipher what's real and what isn't. As your guide through this strange and horrible mindscape, I feel like it's my duty to try and translate what Frank believes he's said and what he's actually said. It's the least that I can do. I'm so sorry.
2. Frank actually said, "Mustaches aren't supposed to talk! Jesus Christ! Get back on my face, you bozo! What's a snookered?!"
3. Frank didn't actually say anything here. Instead, it was more of a guttural noise that slowly grew in length and decibels as it left that deep, smoke-ridden part of his throat.
4. It should be noted that, at a relatively young age, Frank watched Road House for the first time. The movie had a striking effect on his impressionable mind that he would carry with him for the rest of his life.
5. Okay, that's some spooky shit. I can't translate that one, but it's probably important. Either way, Frank did start shouting gibberish at this point. That seems pertinent.
6. Ayy, eee, eye, oh, and HWUH?!
7. Frank actually said "holy shit" here. That one is true.
8. Frank actually said, "Babe, I just ate these mushrooms, right? And I'm high as fuck. Are you a goddess or some shit? What's the deal?!"
9. Seriously! Not a pickup line! Frank would finger oblivion, but he'd never fuck the divine. Jot that down.

Last edited:
Character: Elizabeth Pratt
Time/Location: the Mothlight; first floor
Tagging: Will (@Lydia)​

He was a slippery one, this Quentin Severin.

Usually, she was a notch above sensing out what was causing a person's unease. A restless leg or a perpetually twitchy hand was the most common, and while Quentin had done his fair share of restless twitching during their short conversation, Elizabeth couldn't help but think it had nothing to do with the storm, or the locale. It wasn't that he'd had to settle for an insubstantial brandy -- he'd settled for another, actually, after she'd joined him -- or that twice since she'd been watching, he'd been thumped on the back by some clumsy passerby. All of those things, combined, on an ordinary day might've prompted a man like him to leave, surely. Had it been desperation or something closer to unease that brought him in the door? Had even the supposed bleakest of creatures ran for high ground against all that cold, cold dark?

Perhaps.

That explained the brandy. It didn't explain the dodgy way his eyes went to the door anytime it opened. It didn't explain the subtle, almost imperceptible, snort he'd let slip at her mention of yesterday's sit-down with Ephraim Ryan. Just to see, she'd brought it up again, somewhat clumsily, into the feathering edge of their conversation per Birdsong and its adjacent property. If she'd been uncertain before, watching him point his disgust -- away, toward his empty glass, anywhere but where he thought it could spill out and be seen -- had sealed it. Whatever the situation there, it was messy. Messy, and old and possibly bloody in ways Elizabeth chalked up to small-town folk and what they perceive to be big-world problems. Perhaps Ephraim's great-great-granddaddy had stolen a mule from Quentin's once upon a time. Perhaps these were the sorts of blood-feuds that lasted well into the centuries out here where not even god seemed to give an honest fuck.

She looked again to his maimed hand and where it couldn't help but attempt to pantomime out the parts of a major scale it could still manage. He was full of these odd little habits that she'd been cataloguing, somewhere, in the back of her mind. To what end? Oh, who knew? It'd all get collated later that day; stripped down to nuts and bolts to better understand what made any given piece of human machinery tick. This one -- this slippery fish -- might have even been one of those rare, elusive few who truly cared not for the almighty dollar (likely because he'd never needed to). A true believer. One of those lovers and scholars you read about.

What was that song again, Quentin? Mind the key shift this time around, please.

"Excuse, me," said a voice.

"In any case, Mr. Severin, it's only relevant information if you--"

"Miss Pratt?"

She ignored it.

"--if you're planning to be out of town in the next few days. Otherwise, I'd be glad to stop by--"

"Elizabeth?"

She turned in one abrupt, almost mechanical, motion and stared in astonishment at the man. Blinking, once, she wore the expression of someone who'd just seen a puppet show from backstage and couldn't quite shake the visual image.

"So you've had the good fortune of being stuck with us for this strange ordeal?"

Wordlessly, she pivoted again to Quentin.

"Forgive me, Mr. Severin. You were just--"

"Just leaving," he said, curtly. "Good day, Miss Pratt. Be in touch ...if you must." He brushed by and away from her and the mystery buffoon after fiercely knocking back what had remained of his drink.

She sighed through her nose, tapped with the points of her nails on the bar top, and brandished out a venom-laden "Well done," before she'd even finished turning to face Will. This time she looked him up and down, brow furrowed, noting an astonishing lack of flannel, or any other vestments of the layman. It was a relief, seeing someone who committed himself to his presentation. Hard to fathom he and that odious, mustachioed fellow she'd seen were of the same kind. So, who was he? What had he said? Didn't matter; keep him talking if he's so keen to do it anyway.

"You just scared off my only meeting for the day." She smiled, one of those fabricated, forced things that's more consonants than vowels. "Who are you? Whitford and Whit -- ah, yes. Would that make you the junior in that equation, or are you snowed in from a Gatsby party? I seem to recall Whitford being a," she squinted, poked at the words she'd chosen and reconsidered, "an ...older fellow: rather studious eyebrows and a few, lucrative decades on you." Her eyes went to the crowd, neck craning in mock-interest. "Is he here?"

Last edited:
Character: Theo Collins
Time/Location: || The Mothlight || First Floor || men’s restroom
Scene Status: open
Tagging: Frank
( @chap )

Theo regretted within minutes of leaving the security of her booth. Not only was she semi shielded from the growing crowd but she didn’t want to loose her damn seat. She left a good portion of her belongings behind, white fur coat and shoulder bag which equally held little value. Anything of importance was kept in pockets or tucked deep inside her bra. Giving her booth a longing gaze she pushed into the sea of DC residents.

Since her last visit the bar had filled extensively. Swarmed with anxious customers. “Excuse me,” .. “sorry..” Theo side stepped around whom she could trying, and failing, not to bump into anyone. Achieving her goal to gain another drink dwindled the closer she got - chest tightening, tight as the people crammed in this damn place. Fuck I need a cigarette, a… something other than this. Crowds. They had never bothered her before, people popping that personal bubble…invading personal space in line at the bank. Until recent, Theo flourished as a social butterfly, finding someone to drunkenly banter with still sounded pleasant. However,

Not now. Not here.

"I need some fucking air," she announced, cutting the courtesy bs, practically bulldozing her away from the bar, putting as much space between the gathering as possible. Her gaze moved without direction, searching for her saving grace. Where? She didn't know the place well enough and only assumed that everywhere she went wouldn't lessen the amount of people, really. Unless she wanted to walk home and potentially freeze to death - not on the agenda. Nofuckingthankyou, this was better than her Gran’s place and much safer. In a trice, Theo's longing came when she turned around to take seat at her booth in defeat. Drink-less and very sober.

Anxiously she tapped at the top of her table, still scanning the room for….perfect. Lips curling into a smirk she urged against clapping in excitement, just across the room stood the bathrooms in all their glory. Keeping close to the row of seats the dark brunette held her sights forward until nearing the last booth. The man’s face came easily recognized, though she couldn’t place a name. She had seen him here and there around town, most times at the Juniper Street Diner. If there hasn’t been a mission on hand Theo considered stopping, instead she simply turned to offer him a brief, friendly smile. One that faded as soon as the line to woman’s bathroom came into view.

Stopping at the center which separated the two rooms Theo’s bright blues danced back and fourth. Screw it. Her lissome shoulder’s perked heading past the long line of females to the men’s side where not a soul stood. To her surprise it came with zero conflict, knowing some of them had watched her enter. Even more peculiar was the fact they were willing to stand in line for a designated restroom, especially given circumstances.

Just a few minutes in peace, Theo fished out her vape pen. If I’m going to be stuck awhile, might as well get hig—

A smoke filled cloud left her lungs as the door abruptly opened, coming out harsher than intended. Shrouding Theo as she choked against the series of wide eyed coughs. Frank? Despite being able to count on one hand how many times she encountered Frank Liddle, the man knew how to leave a…impression. Every time. Zara despised him with every fiber of her moral being going as far as adding “how to handle Mr. Liddle” to the employee handbook. In other words, you see him…you get him out before she does.

Theo caught few glimpses but heard the tales and gossip more than anything else about him. Holy shit, man. Whatever he’s having I’ll take two.

The joke didn’t last long, at least not for her. Taking another swift inhale she slowly it blew out her lips around a crispy, fried Frank. There was a moment of debate, what to do with this with him. Anyone who saw him would instantly know he was on…something or somethings. A sight seen many times working at clubs in the city.

Until..

His mouth opened. Full volume.

A fucking what? You’ve got to be kidding. His words should’ve been laughable, yet she found them to be more unsettling.

Obviously,” she whispered, shaking her head, agreeing with him being extremely high…not the goddess part.

Nope.

Not doing it. Just turn around and causally leave, back away s l o w l y.

Theo took her advice, not wanting to encourage or amuse him. Perhaps there was someone else around to help? A friend or family member? Did Frank even have friends?? Slipping the slender device back into her shirt she reached for the exit. “No, sorry..wrong person,” she caved, indulging his warped thinking before letting the door slam shut.

Unlike her previous path, Theo didn’t bother to look at anyone, or anything but the bar. She’d let the bartender know about the situation, of course. A goddess, or something? Repeating his words finally forced out an unnerved laugh. To her surprise and luck the bar had cleared enough for her to make a easy move in.

“I um… a double please,” Theo placed her palms against the bar top, leaning in to speak over the continued chatter surrounding the place. “Patrón. On second thought, let’s keep that tab open,” her head hung down for a moment, gathering what had happened. She waited for the girl to return, thanking her before shooting down the liquid lacking hesitation.

“Frank’s fucked up in the bathroom,” she gazed up, setting the shot glass down on a napkin. Waving her hand in the direction of the restrooms she kept a forward face. Not knowing if the bartender knew who the hell she was talking about.

Last edited:
Character: George William Whitford III
Time/Location: Mothlight Bar
Tagging: @Praxis (Elizabeth)

Confusion crept across Will's features as Elizabeth delayed her acknowledgment, his annoyance plainly illustrated in a series of forehead creases, a draw of the mouth, eyes narrowing and hardening. Was she genuinely ignoring him in favor of a weasel like Severin? The impotent frustration of the day wouldn't abate or abide, it seemed, even given a change of scenery from the office. It scraped his nerves from the inside out, and he felt the flush of anger rising.

Get it together, Whitford. Don't let this bitch throw you off.

Will lifted drink to lips, finishing it; by the time glass returned to the bar, an assured smile there resided. It was contrived in most every respect, but that didn't matter. It was a gesture of his own benevolence, of generous goodwill toward a woman who wasn't well-versed in the region's notoriously hospitable manners. Even in matters of business.

For example, he could be patient if the situation demanded it, though the effort was recorded in a mental ledger of favors owed. It was, thankfully, a brief debt, given Severin's eagerness to leave, to scurry back to whatever dark hole from which he emerged prior to the snow falling.

"You just scared off my only meeting of the day," she said. She smiled. Perceptive enough to note its insincerity, Will wasn't concerned. What mattered was that she made the attempt. She was playing nice, just like he was.

"My apologies." Voice warm like the liquor they imbibed, nodding a well-sculpted chin toward the door, "He's a skittish one."

The dark-haired woman continued with biting ease, prodding a wound she couldn't know existed. That smile twitched, eyes flashing. Not playing nice, he amended. She was sharp, he thought; she had the same subtle cruelty as the most formidable southern women. Isn't that nice?

He motioned to the bartender to bring another round of drinks for both of them. He didn't ask Elizabeth if she wanted one, and frankly, he didn't care. She could let it sit. It was a bid for control in the interaction.

He turned back to her, forcing a low chuckle, as if her series of small slights merely amused him.

"The third, actually," he corrected, a brow lifted wryly. "My father is the junior; he's the one you're thinking of. Unfortunately for us, Gatsby parties were summertime affairs, weren't they? In this- " a small gesture of his left hand, the implications magnified, "-everyone's cancelled their meetings."

The drinks appeared in front of them. He nudged the glass toward her.

"But yes ma’am, I'm a partner in the family firm." Clarification. Now, elaboration. "If you're here on business, and interested in change - which, if I recall correctly, you're real estate? Development? - I'm who you'd want to talk to. Unless you enjoy haggling with the old guard, who'd prefer everything stay exactly as it is from now until judgment day. You'll find them less amenable, which is why you haven't heard back from my father."

He took a drink, self-satisfied and calm. Eyes trained on her face - she was pretty, he thought again - and then roaming downward, swiftly but brazenly, sizing her up just as she had him. No flannel, in fact, no color at all. He liked it.

Character: Virgil McCormick
Time/Location: Upstairs

Virgil McCormick had never been a violent man.

A mindful of hornets and a mouthful of liquor; sing the song of violence and watch how the gathering crowds sway and nod like reeds in the wind, wanton and wanting and waiting for the taste of blood on their lips, on their tongue, between their teeth, dribbling down their chins, droplets congregating in a red flood that will surely swallow house and home, mother and child, the natural world and the world of man, everything and all and all and evermore. The milk of human kindness tastes like spite, if you drink enough of it. If you drink enough of it, it tastes like nothing at all.

Virgil McCormick had never been a vengeful man.

Year of her birth, just a few hours from home, the backroom of a gay bar with his cock in another man's mouth. He should have felt guilty, but he didn't, not then and not there. That guilt wouldn't come til later when the tears started flowing down his wife's cheeks, eyes rimmed red and lower lip all a-tremble. After the screaming, after the accusations, after the confessions, after the sighs, after the paperwork, after the divorce, after the shared custody, after the child support, after the rumors, after the trail of shattered dreams left in his wake, after he gave all he thought he had left to give, what was left? A taciturn heart and lust like a plague of locusts, the tick and the tock of every hour, every minute, every second leading him to where he was in the present, in his bedroom, alone, a mindful of hornets and a mouthful of liquor, singing the song of violence beneath ragged breath while a barroom of hungry ghosts feasted beneath his feet.

Virgil McCormick had never been a bloodthirsty man.

Bloodthirsty as in eager, eager as in wanting. Beneath his feet, hungry ghosts feasting on schadenfreude. He'd put each and every one against the wall if that would bring his daughter back. After two decades of playing chicken with oblivion, he'd finally found his purpose, his reason to live. It's the things you take for granted that you miss the most, they say. The way she smiled and said goodbye as he descended the stairs to start his day, how she barely hid her laughter whenever it was at his expense, her lyrical speech patterns or how she crinkled her nose when she was embarrassed. All those moments, crisscrossing his memories, haunted, haunted, haunted. Beneath those stars, the mind wandered and waned, but it never wavered. The seed had been planted, the decision had been made. Quentin Severin would die, if that's what it would take. He'd streak that man's blood across his face and dust his hair with that man's ashes. He'd slit thine wrists and gouge thine eyes, steal thine life and feel the waylaid ghost breathing down his neck. Anything for Carla, if that's what it took, if it came to that. Any good father would do the same. To kill for love is to love completely, a voice whispered in his ear.

Virgil McCormick sat on his bed, passing his gun back and forth from his left hand to his right.

Midnight would come with a dead moon in its jaws.

Last edited:
Time/Location: Evening | Main Bar
Extra Note: Yaya responses provided by Pris 😊

The bar was gradually getting louder, the volume of conversation still ebbing in waves, higher and lower in some unfathomable synchronicity, both unnoticed and universal. The crowd took a momentary hush, the medley of voices pausing or merely growing softer; they were between outbursts of laughter, between cries of recognition from across the room, between punchlines and climaxes. In this comparative quiet that wasn't quite quiet, Julia watched, mesmerized, as Yaya moved from patron to patron, her skill such that attention could be split between drinks and questions without hesitation. It seemed like a dance: there was rhythm to the glass, the pour, the exchange, the paths crossed with occasional coworkers. Julia forgot her question, she forgot the storm and the deadline and the rapid press of time shoving her forward, but only for a moment.

For a moment, it was as quiet in Julia's mind as snowflakes falling in dark woods.

Her daze burned away as Yaya looped back with a pause and thoughtful study, her tone candid as she continued their conversation. Virgil, she admitted, wasn't around - but maybe Julia needed a drink?

Voices lifted. The punchline came. The laughter. Exclamations and chaos. Exactly as it should be.

"I'm good, thanks," Julia smiled as she declined the drink, the expression so natural, brushing dark eyes with a pleasant narrowing.

"Acting strange?" she echoed, probing for more information. Off the record. It wasn't quotable, but it was context, and that was valuable in itself. "You think it's about Carla?"

It was a delicate question, placed with as much gentleness as she could conjure, but it had to be asked. Who could blame Virgil for bouts of strangeness, really? He was in hell. It would be best for everyone if Carla was found soon - her, more than any of the other missing persons.

"Maybe," Yaya admitted, then paused, her eyes flickering away briefly before returning to Julia's vicinity. She shrugged faintly, as if to half-retract her earlier observation, as if to dispel a strangeness that wanted to stick. "Nothing crazy. Late nights, muttering, getting distracted."

The reporter nodded, her features softly sympathetic.

Yaya opened her mouth, as if to say more, when a pretty, dark-haired girl (she looked familiar, but Julia couldn't quite place her) from further down the bar ordered a drink and flatly announced that Frank (Liddle, she presumed, upon hearing the rest) was causing trouble in the bathroom.

"I gotta handle this," Yaya sighed.

"Yeah, of course," Julia agreed, another sympathetic nod accompanying this most predictable of surprises. Frank's name had graced her publication a handful of times, never for anything particularly virtuous. Mostly under the "arrests" column, mostly petty. It appeared he would be making another appearance there shortly, adding another smear to a throughly sullied reputation. "Go on, I'll wait around."

Yaya rushed from behind the bar, her lean frame immediately vanishing into the crowd. Julia took the opportunity to survey the scene, her thoughts meandering around the question of how to tell this story without her interview. Talk about numbers: people, inches of snow, hours open, bottles consumed. Talk about practices and habits. What was served to eat and drink. Don't get fancy, don't waste words. The mood was upbeat - wasn't it?

The drink wasn't bitter, the laughter not manic.

You believe that, don’t you?

Character: Yancey Klump
Time/Location: 420 km above Earth / A lonely booth in The Mothlight
Tagging: Jason (@Nautical kinda), Yaya (@p r i s m kinda)

I may not always love you…

Earth looked small from way up there. A tiny blue blip in a sea of infinite black. Just one of God's many marbles, he thought. One of His least impressive ones at that. Through his spacesuit's visor, Yancey Klump watched the whole wide world spin and, for the first time in his life, he understood just how much it actually mattered. Down there, there were cities and there were people, there were hot dogs and there were hand grenades, there were telephone wires and guitar strings and prosthetic arms and heirloom watches and pencil sharpeners and traffic cones and little birds going 'poo-tee-weet'. There were blimps! Blimps! There was everything; all the ephemeral, transitory, temporary matter that makes up an ephemeral, transitory, temporary existence.

...but long as there are stars above you…

The fuselage had exploded. It began with a gas leak, as these things often do, and cascaded in a myriad of terrible ways from there. Three other astronauts were dead; a Russian, an Australian, and a Chinese man. Two more were sent hurtling into the furthest reaches of space; another American and a guy named Petey. It was Yancey's first spacewalk, an occasion he'd been looking forward to for what felt like his entire life. How many minutes of how many days had he spent day daydreaming about that specific moment? That first step out into infinity, the words of Neil Armstrong ringing in his ears. The explosion had cut his tether and, even if it hadn't, the ship had metamorphosed into a smoldering hunk of space junk. Now, he was just floating, a prisoner of the void, completely alone with all that… well, space.

...you never need to doubt it…

Space. Think about that for a moment, if you wouldn't care to indulge. Look up at the sky and really, really think about it. Think about how vast it is; really try to comprehend the boundlessness of it all and then, when you think you've got it all figured out, think about it some more for good measure. Can't do it, can you? Wrap your head around it all, I mean. That's without even getting into multiverses and string theory and the absolute mind-fuck of spooky action at a distance. There, swimming in the thick of it, Yancey had finally come to terms with the notion that the universe and all of its grand designs weren't meant to be understood; it just was, as anticlimactic and unsatisfying as that cold fact might have been.

But, god, would you just look at that view?

...I'll make you so sure about it…

The Beach Boys played through his suit's helmet; one of Brian Wilson's last swan songs before he disappeared into his own personal void. The O2 meter on his wrist was depleting at an ever quickening pace. His brain felt like a warehouse that had no room to spare, pushing up against his skull and threatening to burst. So this is it then, he thought. This is how I'll die. Death. Think about that for a moment, if you wouldn't care to indulge. Look into your own future and really, really think about it. Think about how vast it is; really try to comprehend the boundlessness of non-existence and then, when you think you've got it all figured out, think about it some more. Yancey had always feared death, dreaded its inevitability, and worried about when it might come calling, but when he finally arrived at its black-wreathed threshold, it came to the door and greeted him like an old friend. There was peace in the knowledge that this was how it all ended. If nothing else, his trip to Heaven would be a few hundred miles shorter than most. Through his visor, Yancey watched that little marble that held everything he'd ever loved spin and spin and then spin some more, detached from him, unaware of his existence, untroubled by his demise. Yancey smiled just as the chorus swelled. He closed his eyes. He gave himself over to the drift.

...God only knows what I'd be without you.

Yancey's eyes snapped open as his elbow slid out from under where it was sitting on the tabletop. He almost face planted as he returned to the waking world. The babel and hurly-burly of the other patrons filled his ears alongside the Baroque styling and inverted chords of "God Only Knows" by The Beach Boys playing through the PA system. A fresh glass of Tang sat untouched by his left hand and his saxophone sat across from him in the empty booth, still in its case. Yancey couldn't remember actually walking through the front door of The Mothlight or ordering his drink or even sitting down at his usual table. He scanned the room and people until he eventually saw Jason sitting at another table. That was the last thing Yancey remembered; climbing down from Jason's truck, wrapped again in winter's embrace, and then…

An icy chill ran down his spine and goose pimples arose from beneath his skin. It had been quite a day, hadn't it? Gee willikers, Yancey thought as he jotted down a mental note to get more sleep. Clearly, eight hours like clockwork every single night with no deviation wasn't enough.

At least he was in the warmth of The Mothlight, though. It was a funny thing: Yancey didn't drink, he didn't smoke, he didn't even play darts, but by chance and against whatever logic the world might have had left, the bar became something of a second home. In Yancey's head, it was a magical place where nothing bad could ever happen and he could be himself completely. It was where the few friends he had spent their free time. It was the only place where he felt comfortable getting up on a stage and playing the music of his soul. Within those sacred walls, all the weight of the outside world was as light as a feather and as soft as a pillow.

…and then Yaya entered the equation.

There she was, manning the bar in Virgil's stead. She always left him tonguetied. Yancey could feel his heart skipping several beats just from peeking around the corner of his booth to look at her. Like most things in his life, Yancey over-thought the width of their non-existent relationship and imagined what it could become under the perfect, correct, right conditions. Of course, she barely knew he existed and Yancey was self-aware enough to know the feelings were almost definitely unrequited, but… well, the fact that they'd ever even met at all was an act of fate, wasn't it? An act of fate brought on by an overwhelming tragedy. An overwhelming tragedy that he was in the middle of ostensibly investigating. He could hear a devil in one ear (his own voice, clear as day) saying, "That has 'bad omen' written all over it, buddy. You should probably curl into fetal position and, y'know, hide at the bottom of a very deep well". In his other ear, he could hear an angel (Charlie, most likely, but with her vowels replaced by fluttering harps) saying, "Go and get 'em, tiger."

And so, again like most things in his life, Yancey found himself frozen in place, biting at his lower lip nervously, eyeballs skittering to and fro, and fingers twiddling in a twiddly way.

The best safety, he recalled from his heart of hearts, lies in fear.

But he still peered around from his booth…

And, god, would you just look at that view?

Back
Top Bottom