Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Does anyone here watch wrestling?

Maeva-Hoemega

Super-Earth
Hi! I just started watching wrestling onz year ago with AEW and I was wondering if it was still very niche or if peoplz here watch it?^^

Big time wrestling fan here. It's my guiltiest pleasure. 😬

I was raised on wrestling, stopped watching it for a long time, and picked it back up when NJPW was going through it's modern golden age. Nowadays, I'm mostly just an AEW guy. I actually went to a live taping of Dynamite a few weeks ago; highly recommend, it's a super fun time.

I watch it every once in a while. But you should check out a replay of tonight's WWE Smackdown. One of the wrestlers broke his neck live on the air.

I used to watch it often. But it's not shown in AUS so much these days, and when it is its long after pumpkin hour.

Nowadays I just watch clips on YouTube.

I have the Network, and use it to watch 90s wrestling as background noise. Raw, Smackdown, and WCW Nitro. Yeah I'm one of those losers lol.

I used to love watching wrestling in the 90s & 2000s. I tried watching it again a few years ago but it just didn't have the same feel as it did in the old days.

NWO4LIFE!!

I used to love watching wrestling in the 90s & 2000s. I tried watching it again a few years ago but it just didn't have the same feel as it did in the old days.

NWO4LIFE!!
Did you try watching AEW? It started 2 years ago and it's everything that was amazing about 90s and 2000s wrestling.

Did you try watching AEW? It started 2 years ago and it's everything that was amazing about 90s and 2000s wrestling.
Thinking back I believe it was Smack down and Raw. Admittedly the wrestling skills and stunts were far advanced than the olds day. However it didn't seem to have the characters or storylines anymore. That's just my opinion thou.

Thinking back I believe it was Smack down and Raw. Admittedly the wrestling skills and stunts were far advanced than the olds day. However it didn't seem to have the characters or storylines anymore. That's just my opinion thou.
Yeah WWE is pretty bad at the moment. I think you should check out AEW. They have lots of great characterq and storylines

I actually don't much like AEW.

So, I grew up watching wrestling in the 90s, and then some early 2000s stuff. After that I pretty much stopped watching wrestling until earlier this year or sometime last year. I can't really remember. I started off watching WWE again and was really into certain wrestlers, and found NXT to be pretty good. RAW felt bloated and too long, but Smackdown was really cool. Right away a lot of the magic of the 90s was completely lost while watching. Don't get me wrong, the 90s had a ton of bad wrestling. The WWE wasn't all that good until the Attitude Era. Back then you were mostly just waiting for Bret Hart or Shawn Michaels to get in a ring, especially during the New Generation. You still had some other great talents (Kurt Henning's selling lol), but those were the two best guys during that time, in my humble opinion.

Then WCW fucking hit hard in like late '95 and throughout '96. Let's not even talk about the NWO. You don't need to. The cruiserweight division at that time was stupid good. Eddie Guerrero, Rey Mysterio, Dean Malenko, Ultimo Dragon, Konnan, Billy Kidman-- and the list just keeps going on and on. The mid-card of WCW was untouchable during that period! Then you can talk about Ric Flair, and Sting, and even the Macho Man was still putting on some decent matches. It was just a stacked company for a little while, and some of the most entertaining wrestling I've seen-- if you ignore some of the confused and WTF storylines (I'm looking at you Kevin Sullivan and the Dungeon of Doom).

That's the sorta stuff I grew up on. So when I returned to watch WWE very recently, I was a bit underwhelmed. There's some bright spots there. I really enjoy the women's divison when they let them wrestle. Asuka is one of my favorites along with Bianca Belair. Then you got killers like Sasha Banks, Charlotte, Dakota Kai (super good at getting her ass beat), Io Shirai, Zoey Stark. Really enjoyed watching them. It was also super cool to see Bobby Lashley finally get the title, as I've always liked him. Now only if they'd let Shelton Benjamin be more than a jobber. lol

But yeah, a little underwhelmed, but I didn't hate it. So, it was then made apparent to me that there's this thing called AEW out there. It's supposed to have some of the best guys in the world, a real Wrestlers first sort of company. I learn that it was essentially spearheaded by Cody Rhodes and a bunch of other big names I knew nothing about. I give it a shot.

Why are there like eighty guys on the screen at all times during every single promo?

Why do half of these guys look lame?

Why does that guy have a crappy dinosaur head?

What the fuck is a Jungle Boy?

Why do they keep doing high flying moves where the people getting attacked just stand there and let it happen?

Why does the wrestling look EVEN MORE choregraphed and phony than most of the WWE shit right now?

Why is Matt Hardy always just sitting in the crowd?

Why are people getting slaughtered by this skinny guy that falls on you backwards?

Why are the crowd chanting and going fucking crazy over every single move, even the most basic ones?

Needless to say I had a very negative opinion. At first I figured maybe I was just biased. However, then I saw a match between Bryan Danielson and Kenny Omega. That shit was real good, and really reaffirmed that my dislike of AEW wasn't a bias. I just plain don't like most of the stuff on AEW; I don't think it's very good. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say I feel it's highly overrated and not really better than WWE. Don't get me wrong, the 90 second squash matches on WWE aren't super great either, but I'm finding that I'd rather watch them then what I'm seeing on AEW.

What do I like?

Bryan Danielson, Kenny Omega, Jade Cargill, Sting (how could I not?), THUNDER ROSA--

Let me just say that Thunder Rosa is probably one of my favorite names for anything period ever. Not just wrestling names. I really like Thunder Rosa. It's just good sounding. She's also pretty damn good in the ring too.

I also like the camera work in AEW more than WWE. I don't think I have to even explain that one to anyone that watches both products.

So... that's pretty much the overview of my thoughts and opinions on wrestling currently. I don't think any of it really matches the prime stuff in the mid-late 90s, and I prefer WWE (mostly NXT) to AEW. Haven't really watched any of the Indies or Japanese stuff.

Last edited:
I used to and still love it. I probably should watch AEW again. I just feel like I can't commit to it and I hate missing out

My dad watched it a lot when I was a kid. I caught the tail end of the Ultimate Warrior, Ravishing Rick Rood/Rude era that was on WWF. I think that is about when the NWO started, and then dad eventually got more into NASCAR, busy with life and focused on other things.

For as much as I wasn't really into wrestling, I have a rather fond memory of it because it was a simple time where I got to spend time with dad. My mom was working nights at this point, so it was basically our evening wrestling & dinner ritual.

I live in Central Florida, which has a wrestling studio somewhat nearby. I have run into several wrestlers over the years. Razor Ramon, who just passed away the other day, lived about a half hour from me. I have a couple of friends that were good friends with him.

Matt Morgan, aka Gomora, aka The Blueprint, he is now the city commissioner of the next city over from me. Actually, he might be the mayor now. He has swapped back and forth over the last couple of years. He is a gigantic human being. Yes, I realize I'm giving away the area I live in. Go ahead and stalk me, I stalk stalkers and I drop haters, this is the start of a rap you Faulkers, but catch me later.

Anyway, for not being a true fan, just a pedestrian in my dad's guilty pleasure of wrestling, I have met my share of wrestlers over the years and they have all been the most excellent people. I do have a soft spot for wrestling and hearing people talk about it or watching video clips of it brings back fond childhood memories. Going through some things with Dad right now, so it was actually nice to stumble upon this thread.

If some of you are looking for wrestlers in non-wrestling content, check out Hot Ones on YouTube. It is hosted by Sean Evans. It is on the First We Feast page. They have interviewed Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Undertaker over a plate of scorching hot wings and ask really great questions.

Thank you all for the stroll down memory lane.

I love watching wrestling.
Mostly WWE, but I've been following Stardom, a female pro wrestling company based in Japan, since their first show. Even went to some of their shows. (spoiler: They are awesome!)
Even lately I only watch the show highlight because there are too many things to keep up with.
I also love the documentary on wrestling history. Like "The Recount" on the NJPW channel.

It's kind of amazing to see how they have grown so much in recent years.
I also play wrestling simulation games and make imaginary storylines by myself.

in short, yes I love wrestling.

Thanks, I started watching AEW last week, so far I'm enjoying it. I also downloaded Wrestlemania, which I didn't enjoy at all
Thats great to hear! I recommend you to watch SuperCard of Honor for the FTR/Briscoes match. One of the best matches of the year already.
Next week Dynamite and Rampage are gonna be great too!^^

Wrestling has genuinely been the biggest part of my life. I work in it, grew up on it & written one thousand essays on it. (Okay, maybe not one thousand but a lot!)

I can even find an ironic enjoyment in the not-so-good sides of it, such as where your profile picture comes from. 😖

Wrestlemania was an absolute blast & so many companies are absolutely killing it in the post-pandemic era! I'd seriously reccommend checking out UKPW & OTT wrestling if you're hunting for more content to binge as well as discover.

Now allow me to refrain myself from writing 50 paragraphs on what you should watch & scaring everyone on this thread away. 😇

Big shout outs to AEW, got me back into wrestling after I gave up on WWE around 2011/2012!

Back
Top Bottom