Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Name Pending (Nurse x Nihil)

Nurse_K

Pulsar
The field hospital just outside of Munich was always full. As soon as one soldier was released (either back into battle or home), another one had filled his bed within a couple of hours. The hospital had once been the largest and most prestiguous civilian hospital in Germany, but it had been absolutely necessary that the military take over the place as both a safe haven and medical treatment center for injured Nazi soldiers. The Fuhurer needed his soldiers in their best shape possible, and it was Munich Gen's responsibility to make sure that happened.

Elsa Gruenhagen had been a nurse at Munich General while it was a civilian hospital. She was going to leave the hospital when the Nazis took it over, but because of her experience with the hospital and her years of service, they offered her a promotion to Head of Ward if she agreed to stay. There was no way she could refuse that, so she stayed. She was now the Head Nurse of Ward 3, or the moderate ward. The soldiers that came to her ward would stay for at least three weeks for surgeries and recovery, but none of them were critical.

Elsa was an average sized woman of about five foot four. She had shoulder length dark brown hair and light blue eyes. She wasn't the perfect German woman because of her hair, but she was still very pretty and had a certain charm to her. She was curvy and proud of it, though she never flaunted it. She always kept her hair up in a tight bun under her nurse's cap and she always wore her uniform to work, she never broke code like some of the new nurses did.

She may have only been twenty-five, but she had more experience than almost every other nurse at Munich Gen. She'd been a nurse since she was eighteen. She had wanted to settle down with a family, but she knew that winning this war was more important, and she could wait.

It was a sunny Monday when the alarm bell rang. Elsa sprung up from her desk and went running to the doors, opening them so the medics could come through with the stretcher. A man lay there unconcious, "Here's one for you, Miss Elsa!" one of the medics called as they rushed the man to the only empty bed. The medics were in and out in five minutes. She put her gloves on and went over to the soldier to inspect him, "Hello, sir. Can you wake up for me? I need your trauma history." she asked gently as she began to cut off his uniform shirt.

thump-thump

Rain…….

thump-thump

He staggered to his feet, sweat and mud blinding him of his vision, the deafening hum of the hand grenade still impairing him of his hearing. He gasped for air, choking on thick globs of gunpowder and soot that found its way into his mouth. His knees gave in as he vomited into the mud, clearing his throat of any obstacles. A gloves hand whipped the mud out of his eyes, pausing for the briefest of moments to regain his sight.

thump-thump

All around him was death and mud, a great orchestra of carnage washed over by the tide of dirt and rain, only to lay about even more dead. His eyes drew fixated upon the American tank storming through the muddy battle field, trampling over corpses of both friend and foe, its path of destruction warranting awe in the back of his mind. He shook his head, returning his focus to the task at hand. The vehicle would be taken care of by the proper soldiers, and he was not that soldier. His hands loosened and gripped around his FG-42, feeling the weight of the superb weapon balance in his arms. He felt the soft patter of rain dance across his uniform, the great stench of death and decay overcoming all other smells.

It was now that his hearing finally came to him, sounds ever so slowly returning to him like an old memory. His eyes lazily turned to the German soldier screaming to him at the top of his longs. “----ain! Captain! Vat --e your orders mein Captain?!” The young soldier asked him, his face filled with the look of worry and fright.

thump-thump

He said nothing at first, his mind contemplating the question before answering. “Storm the Artillery, we must take the next trench line before dawn so that the Armoured Company may follow in. “
“But mein Captain, the-“
“But nothing boy, get going!” He barked in the boys face, turning away in an instant as he spotted moving objects out of the corner of his eye. He spun into action, raising his assault rifle to bare upon the enemy troops and pulled the trigger.

thump-thump

The act felt natural to him, he neither hated it nor loved doing this, but it just seemed as though this was what he was born to do. He watched as the hail of bullets scythed through the enemy troops like the harvesting of crops, their return fire effortlessly reaching impact in the watery mud. All around him his men stormed ever forward towards their inevitable deaths, roaring at the top of their lungs as they charged the enemy line. His lips curled into a soft smile, the thought of victory soothing his mind. “Tank!!!!!!” The warning came out of nowhere, the sudden explosion emerging from just meters away from him. The blast shot him off his feet, sending him sprawling to the ground, slamming his head against a rock. He couldn’t feel anything below the neck, save the terrible pain that came from his left eye, then…. Darkness…..

thump-thump

It was not a gentle awakening, the sudden shock of existence forcing him to sit up immediately, sweat beading down his brow, his lungs gasping for air. He felt a jolt of pain, agony covering his entire body, his muscles screaming to the cold release of death. His teeth grinded together, his iron will forcing himself to not scream. It took some time before he was able to finally calm down, falling back down onto his bed, panting heavily in large gasps.

He was quite a handsome young man, no older than 27. He was tall and broad shouldered, standing to about 5’11”. His raggedy blond hair falling over his eyes by about and inch, filled with filth and mud. His one remaining eye was a crystal blue, the other was now covered by a bloody bandage. The man seemed to have received multiple wounds from the fragments of a tank shell. Two rather large pieces sticking out of his torso while another in his right arm and one in his left shin and right thigh. His other arm seemed rather fine though, showing off his fine tuned physic.

Elsa watched the man silently as he went through his nightmare. She'd seen this so many times, and every time it broke her heart. She never showed the soldiers that it hurt her to watch them be in such mental pain like that, she and every other nurse knew that it was their job to show the soldiers only happiness, only hope.

"Hey there soldier," she said quietly as his eye opened. "Hold still," she commanded as she unwrapped his bloody bandage and quickly replaced it with another one. "I'm Elsa," she said to him as she continued to change the rest of his bandages and applied various ointments to his more shallow wounds. Her voice was light and airy, as she always made it, doing her best to try to make him forget that he was wounded and in a military hospital.

"Are you hungry? I can only give you soup right now, but if you want some, I can get it for you. I'll have to feed you though," she said quickly, making sure that he understood that he couldn't move his arms. Moving his arms would drive the shrapnel deeper, he couldn't move them until he'd been to surgery.

"No..." He muttered softly in reply and said nothing more as he turned his head to the window, watching as the rain pattered against the window. He had no desire for food at that moment, and infact he didn't really want anything at all. His hands twitched instinctively, his body missing the familiar weight of his gun.

A soft sigh escaped his lips as his breathing finally became regular. His body was still wracked with pain, however he had quickly grown accustom to the sensation, allowing the agony wash over his entire body, doing so to better control himself and subside the pain.

"Okay," she said cheerily as she worked through the rest of his wounds. She began to hum quietly, an old German folk song. She usually hummed when she was with the soldiers, it calmed them down a lot, especially the new ones. Once she had finished dressing his wounds she peeled her gloves off and threw them away. She went over to the supply closet and got him a patient's shirt. She slipped it over him expertly, he barely had to move at all.

"Is there anything you need?" she asked him as she looked down at him, seeing his hand twitch for his gun. She didn't even know this soldier's name, the medics hadn't had time to brief her on him. She'd just need to find out over time as he grew more comfortable with her there.

"No..." Was once again the only answer he would give her. His body slowly began to loosen and relax as he became comfortable with the pain. Even for a soldier, he had always been able to ignore pain very easily, his mind and body bound to the iron will of an officer. He cringed slightly at the feeling of the patients shirt placed upon him. The civilian clothing seemed so alien to him. It had been so long since he hand not breathed without the smell of gunpowder and death filling his nostrels.

He tilted his head from side to side, cracking his neck with a very loud series of snaps and crunches. The dog tags around his neck jingling with the slightest movement of his head.

She nodded. He was a classic case of shell shock. She would leave him be for awhile, get some paperwork done, and check on him later. She left him and went to her office, groaning at the enormous mountain of paperwork that was there. She got through a bunch of it and then glanced at the clock, shocked to see four hours had passed. She got up and went to the kitchen, preparing a large bowl of soup under the guise that it was for herself.

The nurses weren't supposed to give special treatment to the soldiers, she should've waited for the dinner bell to bring him food. But Elsa always brought the soldiers a meal on her second visit, as they almost always ate it then. She could never be sure when they would eat, and eating was imperative to their health. She pulled up a chair and sat the soup down on a table next to him as she changed his bandages, only a few needed it this time.

She sighed and sat down, stirring the soup with a spoon. "Hello," she said softly with a smile, "I brought food this time, if you're interested in it."

"You really don't listen... Do you girl?" He muttered softly as he turned to face her. His tone was a mix, his voice hinting in agitation, yet he could not stop the pain from leaking in. He sighed quietly as he noticed this then turned back the other way, watching the rain fall through the window.

He really was hungry, however he just didn't seem to desire any food. He was thirst yet he desired no water. He desired something, however he just couldn't seem to put his finger on it.He mind slowly began to sink back into that muddy water, that corpse ridden battlefield in which he had fought in.

She smiled softly when he turned away from her. "I listen to everything," she said quietly, "And I know that you're hungry, but you think you can't eat. You think that if you eat that you're betraying your fallen brothers who won't ever eat again," she'd seen this so many times with soldiers, she could almost tell their thoughts, "But you know that they want you to be strong. You would want them strong if it was the other way around, right?"

She continued to stir the soup with the spoon, making sure that it stayed fresh. It was good soup, unlike what the soldiers got out in the field. It was hot, with vegetables and meat. She wouldn't force him to eat it, but she knew he should.

He did nothing for a moment, then slowly turned his face to meet hers. He emotionless face now replaced by a fixated snarl of rage. He sat up to meet her at eye level, blood stains seeping through his bandages as his muscles tensened. "Well then I believe that you need to get your ears checked little girl because I am not morning the loss of anything! You understand nothing of what I do! My men died with honor and I and proud of their courage. I'd sooner shoot myself than betray my fellow soldiers!" He screamed in her face like a drill seargent to a rookie cadet.

She stared at him as he ranted at her, his words did not phase her in the least. "I am not little," is all she said to him as she dipped the spoon into the bowl and then put it in her mouth, the soup was delicious. She sat there and at the soup slowly while he raged, giving him no satisfaction of him frightening her -- as he did not frighten her. She'd seen many soldiers act like this, it wasn't new to her. It'd stopped scaring her after a couple of years.

"If you don't need anything, then I will leave you lay here by yourself." she said calmly and stood up. She put the chair back where it belonged and picked up the empty bowl. She looked at him for a moment longer, and seeing he was going to remain hostile, she turned to leave.

He snarled irritably as he took in breath to speak again, however he was now at a loss of words, and the pain was now beginning to truly sink in, the medication and drugs beginning to wear off at quite an astounding rate. He said nothing as he cringed in pain, grinding his teeth together as he gripped the bed sheets. His mind screamed with pain, loud groan and grunts of pain escaping his shut jaw. "Damnit!
" He hollered at the top of his lungs, sealing his eyes shut as he tried to fight the pain.

She turned slightly when she heard him scream in pain. Hearing him in such horrible pain hurt her, as it always did, but she tried not to show any emotion on her face. "Did you decide that you needed something, sir?" she asked politely, though she didn't move from her turned spot. She had learned not to take too much crap from the soldiers. They were almost always irritable, but they needed to show respect to those who cared for them.

He growled under his breath in irritation, her lack of respect sinking under his skin. Still he could not deny that he himself had given her no courtesy either. He turned his head to face her, his features still locked in a look of pain. " Yesss..." He muttered softly through clenched teeth. "Please..."

"Oh?" she said, raising her eyebrows. She kept a stone cold face and walked back over to him, standing next to his bed. She looked down at him, straight into his eyes. "What would you like me to bring you?" she knew it had to be horrible for him to be here, that he was hungry, and probably very lonely. But he had to know that he needed to respect her, or he would not learn anything from having been here. Granted, he hadn't asked to be here. But now that he was, she wanted him to know how to respect her.

"Pain killers.... Please!...." His fists clentched the sheets as he tried to overcome the pain, but attempting to do so only caused even more pain. Blood seeped through his many bandages, the clothes now more red than they were white. His eyes were forced shut, his breath coming out in quick, hurried breaths as droplets of sweat dripped down his brow.

She nodded to him, watching him exaserbate his wounds. She pulled out a syringe with a small plastic cap on it. She uncapped it and forced his arm out straight. "Be calm, be calm..." she said soothingly, jabbing his arm with the needle gently. She pushed down the syringe slowly, the liquid morphine flowing into his veins. "There, there...you might get a little woozy..."

Quite suprisingly enough, to him, the pain subsided rather quickly. His body very slowly loosened, his breath easening as he gently wiped the sweat away with the back of his hand. He blinked several times as he tried to adjust to the drug's effects. He slowly looked back up at her, his lips curling into a rather weak smile. "Thankyou..." He said, his voice filled with warmth and honesty, despite how badly beaten he was.

She smiled back down at him, glad to see his pain subside. She reached down and gently wiped his face with a cloth. "Do you need anything else?" she asked softly. She wanted him to get better, she had taken a liking to him, despite how rude he had been to her. "I can leave you alone now, if you want..." though she didn't want to leave him.

"No..." He whispered softly as he reached out and grabbed her arm like a smile child, too afraid to leave his mother. He looked away for a moment, as if in shame to speak the next words that left his lips. "Please... Stay..." He wasn't sure why he wanted her here, or why he was being so childish, just that he wanted her with him and thats that. He slowly released her hand as he looked back up at her with eyes of a withered old man who had nothing to do but wait for death to take him away.

She jumped a little when he grabbed her arm, she hadn't expected him to do that. When he looked at her she almost cried. She nodded quickly and pulled a chair over, sitting down in it next to him. She put one of her hands on his gently, squeezing it like a mother would to a child. She knew that he wasn't all bad, he'd just had some tough experiences. "I'll stay as long as you want," she said softly, rubbing his hand gently. She wanted to talk to him, to ask him things, but she didn't know what he could handle. She decided that she would let him decide what to talk about, if to talk at all. She wanted him to be comfortable.

He smiled softly and nodded in reply. He said nothing though, leaning back into his propped up bed and stared out the window as the rain battered against the glass. He sighed softly as he cricked his neck from side to side, cringing slightly in pain, however he quickly steeled himself and subdued the dull pain. "I love the rain..." He said with a soft smile as he watched it fall.

Back
Top Bottom