Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Question Which section would you post nonsexual roleplay prompts?

Fandomizer

Control My Mind
Like if you wanted it to be clear from the start that you're looking for story and adventure rather than sexy fun times. I'm surprised there isn't a clear section for such prompts on a roleplaying site.

It would be nice to have a place to look for story-based roleplays without having to swim through ultra horny sexual thread titles. I guess it's just kind of discouraging.

In a nonsexual rp you might be playing both male and female characters too. So the gender split doesn't really work.

I think you're dealing with a bit of a culture clash with the website rather than dealing with an organizational issue. It isn't that there are few non-sexual rps because there's no place for them, there's no place for them because there are so few. Like Solo said, there used to be an area for it, but it went largely unused, so it was shuttered. You may simply have to look for an rp website that aligns more with your interests.

It would be nice to have a place to look for story-based roleplays without having to swim through ultra horny sexual thread titles. I guess it's just kind of discouraging.

In a nonsexual rp you might be playing both male and female characters too. So the gender split doesn't really work.
Why doesn't the gender split work? You can put two RTs in each section. You're not limited to using just one section. You can also write whatever you want in your RT, did you know? You can state up front your willingness to play any gender AND that you're mainly looking for nonsexual rp.

I think what you might wanna do is put your RT in the gender of your choice but indicate you'd prefer it remain nonsexual. I've seen a few RTs that are meant to be chaste. I can't guarantee you'll get many hits, given the culture of BMR, but it's worth a try.

When I started to roleplay I had no idea what smut even was. I ran a pokemon proboard. I need story and adventure or I get super bored. This isn't intended to be an ad, since the site is long dead anyway, but House Eros in it's prime had maybe a third of the population this side had, but it had this group rp Realism run by Viante that had almost zero smut in it and it was like the best thing on the whole site. It was just pure world-building and imagination. Man was a fantastic group. He could have made a video game or board game out of that and made millions.

Just feels like people have forgotten how to roleplay for reasons like innocent adventure and wonder. Imagination. Making friends. Sex is great. I'm not knocking it. But like, when the thread's title is "jerk me off with a fleshlight" I die inside a little bit every time I read it. I wanna be 4-5 pages into an amazing adventure before the characters start unwinding in their birthday suits together. It can still happen. Just like, maybe ask about the setting and the personality and the plot before you ask about kinks. Please? Maybe?

When I started to roleplay I had no idea what smut even was. I ran a pokemon proboard. I need story and adventure or I get super bored. This isn't intended to be an ad, since the site is long dead anyway, but House Eros in it's prime had maybe a third of the population this side had, but it had this group rp Realism run by Viante that had almost zero smut in it and it was like the best thing on the whole site. It was just pure world-building and imagination. Man was a fantastic group. He could have made a video game or board game out of that and made millions.

Just feels like people have forgotten how to roleplay for reasons like innocent adventure and wonder. Imagination. Making friends. Sex is great. I'm not knocking it. But like, when the thread's title is "jerk me off with a fleshlight" I die inside a little bit every time I read it. I wanna be 4-5 pages into an amazing adventure before the characters start unwinding in their birthday suits together. It can still happen. Just like, maybe ask about the setting and the personality and the plot before you ask about kinks. Please? Maybe?
A lot of people do write that much before smut, to be fair! A lot of us write in PMs though, too, so you’re not seeing the total amount of people that do like prose and characterization and stuff to precede and be more important than the sex.

I don't think asking about kinks first thing means that all the person wants is smut writing. Kinks are a pretty big deal. It can make or break a partnership to have someone spontaneously include something in an rp that is not desirable to the other person. It's a reasonable conversation to have if the rp will eventually have sexual content, even if it's just a small amount.

I consider myself a story focused writer with minimal sex "if it happens, then it happens but it's not my main goal" in my stories. Yet if I were to start up with someone new, one of the first conversations I'd have with a partner is "will sex occur at all in the rp?" and "if it does, do we have compatible needs?" That doesn't cheapen the process. It saves us both from wasting time or disappointing each other when someone reveals a kink later that is actually really niche or turns the other person off. It's just common sense.

It is a reasonable conversation, but when it's the first thing you want to talk about it comes across as though you don't care about the soul of what I have to offer. It comes across as, your priority is smut and then story. And maybe you don't want to rp if the kinks aren't there. But it still kinda ruins things for me. I want to talk about my ideas, not what makes me horny. I could rp without any kinks going my way.

I don't have weird kinks that tend to turn people off, and even if I did I could shut them off for one rp. My priority is to play adorable aliens who explore space and discover new planets and civilizations. I don't even care if they have sex or not.

I think I understand you. Even though my RPs remain sexual I often talk about the kinks or what will be in it last. And it's hard because a lot of people do lead with the sexual aspect. Sometimes I have to pull them back and go "okay, why?" Like the point is I need something meatier and talking about hot things is fun but there needs to be a story to maintain interest. So, I get your frustration when people focus on the sex first.

And my frustration here is that I could avoid the sex-first people if there was a board strictly for posting ideas among the story-first people. I don't want to swim through RTs from people who just want to masturbate and leave. I honestly don't even want to read their RT titles.

I can and do write wonderful sex scenes, and will continue to do so. But they're scenes. In a bigger rp.

The problem there is that you’re on an adult rp server. This site is mainly for those things- not plots of just sex, but people who want to write sex scenes eventually. This site is literally for the things that you’re not looking for/don’t even want to read as you scroll.

Instead of being frustrated about a lot of people doing what the site’s focus is, maybe post your request threads with what you want and see if anyone comes to you? That way you’re not getting annoyed reading all the threads or something. If people want (or are curious about) what you want, theyll check out your thread when they see the title, etc :)

Like what if the boards looked like this, instead of roleplay requests by males and roleplay requests by females, it was

Smut-Driven Requests by Males
Smut-Driven Requests by Females
Story-Driven Requests by Males
Story-Driven Requests by Females

Or even have two sub boards in each section. Story and smut sub boards in the male section and story and smut sub boards in the female section. The way the site is structured is outdated and flawed. It can be improved. I mean this site literally has a filter system but it's not used to filter through smut and story-driven RTs? This is a blind spot the site hasn't considered.

That seems like way too many sections. Why not just have a singular story focused section? I think you're seriously overestimating how many threads will actually be created in the story focused sections. I doubt there will be enough to fill up just one section, let alone 2-3.

A blind spot the site hasn't considered? You can't force people to use tags for filtering. It's just not popular among the users. I think you don't understand the culture here and you're trying to turn this place into something that fits your vision.

"You can't force people to use tags for filtering."

No there literally isn't a filter for smut vs story. Filtering exists (for like mxf, fxf, etc) but not that kind where it filters by story vs smut. I'm wondering why that's the case.

Anyway I do understand the culture here. I know that the smut-focused people outnumber the story-driven people. I get that. I just want an easier way to find the story-driven people.

I do like the idea of having the tags for story focus vs smut. That seems a trivial addition (ie something easy for them to add)

Hey, Fandom!

I'm a predominately story-driven writer as well, and I agree it's a hassle to find like-minded partners here who are invested more in the story than how soon characters get naked. While this is an adult site where many if not most writers are coming for the smut-focused content, personally, I'm here to write stories with some sexual content, plus other themes that would fly way over a PG-13 rating. Romance and smut are only facets of my stories just like drama, adventure and conflict. All parts of a greater whole to drive the plot.

Honestly it's really a matter of sticking it out, in my experience. I put up notes/reminders in my request thread, journals, etc, to clarify what I'm looking for, and ultimately it's up to the reader to actually bother, well... reading that. I still receive a number of PMs from writers who haven't taken my preferences into consideration. It can be a frustrating slog through a dozen messages of which maybe one or two people actually want to talk plot, yet there are most assuredly writers who enjoy basking in several pages of plot and character development before things get spicy, if at all. I've found several fantastic writers (and friends!) who put story first. It just takes a bit of weeding through the messages and RTs. So please don't get too disheartened by the content you see a lot of - it's the nature of the site but there are diamonds in the rough here.

Rather than the suggestion of making new boards for story heavy content - I truly don't think a completely non-adult board would fly here - what about a registry for members who are story first? I can't put a ratio on it (and honestly I hate those ratios because stories are so flexible) though maybe a quick description of what's meant by story-driven and then a list of players with links to their RTs and such.

Edit: fixed some grammar. Also couldn't find another proposed registry list.

Last edited:
I've got a suggestion for this actually.
Why not make a prefix that's like [Story]? This can be used to filter and doesn't require new sections to be made in the forum and so the worry about there being too much clutter is removed. People that don't care about story can just not add story to the filter and people that want story first can filter on story only.

Back
Top Bottom