Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A Prince and his maid [Kaziel and Ashlee_babe]

A few minutes before the Prince left his room:

Col awoke to the sound of knocking on the door. His rest had been fitful at best after Maggie left, and he hurriedly dressed and answered the door, hoping it would be Maggie. His heart dropped in his chest as he saw that it was just one of the maids from the castle. She had a mix of a shocked and excited look on her face. Before he could reply, a torrent of words burst forth from the young lady.

"Oh my gods, Col, you'll never guess what I just heard. Seems like Marguerite was found in the middle of lovemaking with the Prince. They aren't even close to the same class, let alone that they work together. Oh wow this is such a suddent thing!" Not waiting for Col to respond, she continued to spout, "I wonder if they are secret lovers. Maybe he plans on marrying her anyways despite status! How romantic..."

She continued to blather on, but Col didn't really listen. He was too shocked by the idea that the Prince and Maggie were... lovers. Here he had just confessed his feelings for her and she was already with the Prince. What could he offer that could compare to the Prince. He looked up to see Marguerite coming across the yard toward his shop, and his eyes went wide.

Marguerite saw the maid leaving Col's shop and she knew the woman told Col the rumor that was being spread. She immediately went to him and tried to the wipe the tears from her eyes. "Col, I have to talk to you. The Prince and I have been found in an incompromised position. Its not what happened. I, please let me explain." She said when she finally arrived to the doorway. "Its hard for me to talk about this in the open but know that the Prince and I are not involved in any matter."

She wanted to explain without crying but there was a group of guards waking by and whistling at her. She hid her face with her hands and wanted to cry. She wanted to run away from the situation but she owed Col and explanation. "Col, please believe me that nothing happened." She whispered to him as she exposed ehr tear-stained face.

Col had kept his back turned to Maggie so she couldn't see his emotion. He had always had trouble keeping his face clear of what he felt. He wasn't sure what to believe... He didn't want to even imagine them together, but a part of him couldn't deny the appeal of the Prince. He was handsome, cultured, and of course he was the Prince... whoever married him would become the Queen of the kingdom... what could he hope to offer her that could compare. A life of scraps and a dirty husband coming home every day?

But she had come straight here, hadn't she? If she was really with the Prince, she would be with him, or off hiding. She had come right to him. He breathed out a long breath trying to regain his composure. She wouldn't have come to him if she didn't have an answer for him. Was... was she going to say yes?

He turned to her, his face a strange mix of fear and hopefulness. "I... uh..." He stumbled over his words, "I believe ya, Maggie." was all he could get out, his face strained to contain his emotions.

"I feel horrible Col. This was all just a terrible misunderstanding. I was listening to him rant about his fiance and he had too much to drink. I settled him into bed and thought to sit up with him in case he needed anything. I must have fallen asleep and the next thing I knew it was morning and she was screeching in my ears. I had no idea that he had moved beside me nor was still sleeping." She confessed in a fit of tears. "I told him last eve about your proposal but he backed at the mere idea. He was completely drunk. I want to tell you that I have decided, if you would still have me."

She blushed and wiped the tears from her eyes. "I know this was not the best way to agree on this but I do think you would make a wonderful husband and a terrific father. I know you will treat me like a person and not just a maid. Col, I will marry you."

When she said yes, he could barely believe his own ears. He stood there, his eyes wide in shock. Had he dreamed of this? Many times. Hoped for it? Of course. But he hadn't been sure it would really happen until he heard the words from her mouth. She had said yes... She had said yes!

He jumped forward, wrapping his massive arms around her, crushing her close to his sooty chest. A part of him realized the inappropriateness of his action, since they weren't married. Another part of him knew that he'd be covering her with dirt and ash. But despite these, he couldn't care less about that. She had said yes and he was so overcome with emotion that he couldn't stop himself. He let out a shuddering sigh of relief over her reply, his mouth moving but unable to form words.

Marguerite smiled the first time that day when he lunged at her and twirled her about. "Col you must happy as I am right now." She laughed and smiled as he moved about the room and placed her down finally. "I do hope you are going to be able to work now that I gave you this news." She placed a hand on his cheek and smiled.

"I should go and face the hounds. I have to change and listen to the whispered gossips and still attend the prince and his lady." She whispered as she smiled one last time. "Col I will try to by and visit as soon as I can. I know you have work to and I have to tell the prince of this arrangement."

He let out another small laugh and a sigh of relief, smiling back. "Uh... should I come with you?" he asked, suddenly worried about what was being said about his fiancee. "I could help dispel the rumors." He said, standing up straighter.

======

Meanwhile, the prince had called for all staff to attend to the throneroom. He had informed everyone that he would be having a long day of meetings the day after, but today he had serious things to attend to. Dismissing his subjects, he had word spread around the castle as quickly as he could.

======

Before Maggie could reply, another maid came rushing towards the blacksmith, her face red with exerction. "The Prince has called a meeting... all are to attend to the Throneroom as soon as possible." Before they could reply, she hurried off to find others.

"I guess my bath and my chores shall have to wait." She added as she took Col's bigger hand in her smaller one. "I woner what it is about. He did not mention anything to me yesterday about having a meeting and I feel like I should have been more prepared." She added as Marguerite made her way out of Col's shop and to the main part of the castle. Most of the servants were abuzz with the rumors that had been spread and the scene that had been formed.

"Do you have any idea what the meeting is about Marguerite, oh wait, maybe you had your special meeting with him last night." One of the other maids snided as she brushed past her.

"Maybe she is right. I should not be here. I should just go Col." She started to riffle through the crowds but he began to talk

The Prince cleared his throat, getting the attention of everyone in the throneroom. Anyone who had been talking instantly became quiet, and the room was so still that it felt like not even the breeze dared to move. "I am aware that there have been some rumors floating about the castle today. Rumors about a member of the staff and myself. If you're not aware of these rumors, I will not spread the name of the person, but I imagine most, if not all of you know."

As he said this, no one dared to look behind them at Maggie, but she felt people behind her glancing at her. "I would like to, first off, say that whatever you've heard is completely false. The events that transpired last night were ones of innocence, not what gossip says."

He looked around, then extending a finger, he pointed to the crowd. "Lady Kataline, please come forward." When no one moved, he repeated it, more forcefully. "Lady Kataline, by right of my position as Crowned Prince, come forward... NOW!"

No one, not even Kataline was foolish enough to ignore this a second time. She marched forward, haughtily, and stood before everyone. Staying up on the dias, he looked down on her, both physically and metaphorically. "I told you to leave last night, yet you did not. Not only did you do the express opposite of what I told you, thereafter you spread rumors about one of my most loyal subjects."

His face twisted with anger as he said the last thing, his next words ones of absolute iron-clad certainty of both a threat and a promise. "You are to leave here, immediately, and if I ever see you in my Kingdom again, I will execute you and consider it an act of War."

Lady Kataline was red with embarassment and shock. She sputtered a few words, but her attempt at a reply was cut off as the Prince screamed, "GET OUT!" The crowd rocked back with shock. They had seen him angry, but never something like this.

Of all the years that Marguerite had been working for the prince, she never seen him raise his voice or publicly humuliate a woman in her pressence. Nor had she heard rumors about the situation happening when she was away. His voice bounced off the walls around them and she actually felt for the woman who fled in tears and shame. Her heart was broken by the scene but she dare not move. Marguerite placed a hand on Col's arm for comfort and protection.

She had to face the prince after the gathering had thinned and dispersed. She took Col with her and decided that it would better if they addressed him together.

"My Lord, I have something I have to discuss with you."

Col followed Maggie up to the front of the throne room, looking around eyes wide. Sure, he had been here before, but it always awed him... such a massive room, but so well decorated. There were more riches in here than he was ever likely to own...

The Prince collapsed onto the throne, eyes closed as she approached. He was exhausted by that... it wasn't physically taxing, but the stress from it was wearing at him, while the adrenaline rush he'd been riding to get through it had just abated, and he felt his legs left shaking. Cracking open an eye to see Maggie speaking to him, he tilted his head up, then nodded at her. "What do you need? Or should this be done in a more private location?"

Col strode right up behind her, looking at the Prince with new respect. He'd always been a kind ruler, but he hadn't ever really gotten angry. Col would never voice his opinion, but sometimes you needed to get angry to get things done. At least that's what his father had always said... and the Prince had done just that... and not for just him, but for Maggie. He was very thankful to him.

Marguerite shook her head as she placed a delicate hand on the Prince's shoulder. "I'm a engaged to Col. I have decided to except his proposal in marriage and I wanted to know if I can have your blessings." She paused for a moment and thought about the night before and how hurt he had been by the woman. "I do not have to have your answer now butI would like to have you agree on this. I think this will be a good match for me. I even saved up some money for my own dowry."

She felt odd talking to him like this but he needed to know her events in her life. "I will not let this effect my work during the engagement but I should loosen my load once I do get married. You know how much I long for children." She added as she took a safe step back. "My Lord, you should sit down, your legs are shaking." She helped him back on the throne.

He was glad she had asked him to sit, and he did so letting his head fall forward, his hair covering his face and hiding the look on his face. So she hadn't taken what he had said last night seriously... he didn't clearly remember it, but he remembered saying he was going to marry her.

He breathed out deeply, regaining his calm. Of course she would think it's right to marry at her station. He doubted she had ever even thought of him the way he thought of her...

Looking up at them, he smiled. "I'm happy for you." he said, lying but hiding it with every fiber of his being. "And I'm sure Col will make a fine husband, and you a fine wife for him. You, of course, have my blessing."

At hearing this, Col's heart jumped. This was certainly not what he had expected for the day. Not that he had thought the Prince would object to them, but an actual blessing from the ruler of the land? Could there be any better sign? He dropped to one knee, bowing his head deeply. "Ye honor us, my liege." he said sincerely.

A part of the Prince wanted to viciously attack Col... he was stealing her... and worse the Prince was letting him... even helping him. But he kept his face a mask of kindness the entire time. "No, it will be an honor to have you two as a couple of the kingdom. I am sure you will have fine children. And Marguerite, don't worry about the hours. Your family comes first. Plus it will be good for the rest of the staff to get used to being without you."

She smiled and made her way to towards the throne and placed another hand on his. "Thank you, you honor us indeed. The ceremony shall be very shall and will ot be in your way." She added hastily as she smiled. "I know you have a lot on your plate and I do not want to jepardize it. So the ceremony shall be out in the fileds and very quiet."

Marguerite twirled her hair out of nervousness, something the Prince would know. "We should be getting to our chores. I know you hav a meeting to prepare for and I would like to bath and change. I will meet you in the parlor before your after mettings."

She moved from the throne room leaving the two men there alone. She started a bath and began to clean away the dirt and soot from her body. She looked at herself in the mirror and sighed after her soak. "He is a good man Marguerite, get a grip." She expelled a weary sigh and dressed in her fine blue dress. She tied her hair back and made her way to the parlor.

Col rose to his feet as Maggie and the Prince talked a little before she went on her way. The Prince then looked at the blacksmith. "Col," he started, and Col turned to the Prince, "I've known Mag... Marguerite for a long time now, so I hope you will treat her well."

Col bowed deeply, "I wouldn't dreama doin' anythin' else, mah liege." He was still reeling from everything happening so suddenly. This time yesterday, the idea of even asking Maggie was frightening, but now it was going to happen... it was really gonig to happen. Bowing again, he retreated from the presence of the Prince and went back to his shop. He had a lot to think on.

The rest of the day went fairly quickly for the Prince, as he met up with a lord who was coming through his kingdom. They met and dined in a modest affair in the Parlor, with Marguerite attending to them. The supper went calmly, a sharp contrast to the Prince of the last day and a half, but one that was quite welcome. The lord excused himself for the night and left the Prince alone in the Parlor, resting.

Marguerite served the two men until the other lord excused himself the prince was alone with Marguerite. She sat near him and sighed. "Tell me truly how you feel. I have worked for you for some time and I have a feeling you are holding back on something, what is it?" She added as she rose for a moment and peaked out the window.

"Col is a fine man. You cannot find a fault in him for me and you woul lying if you did."

While he had been drinking, the Prince hadn't been drinking nearly as much as he had, he had still had some wine, so he was feeling a slight buzz which loosened his inhibitions enough for him to consider being honest. He looked down at his mostly empty plate before he stood. He was wearing a red tunic and white slacks, his hair let loose, wavey from his earlier bath. He contemplated his reply for a few moments more before he decided to try it...

"There is no fault with him." As he said this, he rose and walked over to where she stood by the window. "The fault lies solely with me." Taking her shoulder, he gently turned her so her back was against the wall, closing to mere inches from her. "You couldn't have known..." he started, his face so close to hers, his warm breath a sharp contrast to the chill breeze coming through the window. He was looking her in the eyes, and she could tell that he was by no means drunk nor lying. He kept his hands on her arms, not holding her against her own will, but still keeping her where she was.

"Maggie..." he started, using the name he almost never used to her, "You see..." his voice gave out on him, as he tilted his head and moved his face forward, his lips seeking hers.

"W-what are you talking about, my Lord. You are just being ridiculous," she was nervous when he pushed her against the wall. The words in her subconscious floated up and she frowned. He had said he loved me that night. He feared he would lose me, the thoughts came pouring back to her. "You never call me Maggie."

She held her breath and her eyes were slowly closing. "We can't do this, I am an engaged woman and you offered us your blessing. Please," she had to ring to show she was taken for and she doubt that she ever would.

"You are... I know this... but..." he replied, pressing up against her. She could feel him through her dress... even when she had awoken in his lap she hadn't been this close to him... their lips were seconds from meeting, his blue-grey eyes seemed more pure in the dim light, locked on hers... he meant to... and was going to kiss her. No alcohol induced stupor was the cause of this...

Then suddenly there was a clatter of trays from outside, hitting the door, causing to spill open. Shifting instantly over to the window, he glanced over his shoulder as if he had been standing there all along. One of the maids stuck her head in, seeing the two of them there, she bowed profusely. "I"m sorry to disturb you, your majesty."

He gave her a quick shake of the head. "It's nothing, miss. I was just enjoying the chill air after my repast." He turned back to the window, pausing momentarily to stare and smile sadly at Maggie.

Maggie was greatful for the distraction when it came. He did want to kiss her and she was confused. He expressed no interest in her before and yet there he was, his lips a mere inches fom her. It was going to be a huge mistake for this to actually happen. A loud tray fell and Maggie moved away from him. "I have chores to get to and I think I should consider maybe taking a leave of duties. I know there is much for you to do and I would only get in the way." She added as she began to pick up the mess.

"I think I shall ask Col about a small ring. Nothing fancy since he does not have the funds for it. I think to show others of my commitment." She rose and went to the smithery to see her fiance.

"Hello Col."

The Prince sighed as she pulled away from him so quickly. He was glad they hadn't been caught... he didn't want to cause more trouble for Maggie, but he couldn't just let her go. Sure, he knew she might... hell, based on what she had just said, probably would reject him, but he had to hear those words from her mouth. He sighed softly as she hurried away, feeling a pit form in his stomach that threatened to overtake him. Without a word, he hurried up to his room, lest his emotions show and create another situation.

======

Down at the Blacksmith, Col was just finishing up his small dinner. After the sun had gone down, he had closed up shop, generally not keeping up work after dark since it would require more fuel to get the same amount of heat he would get during the day. He was suprised when Maggie just barged in, his eyes going wide, but mostly with joy. The selfless, broad smile was instantly on his face as he stood and strode over to her, wrapping her up in his treetrunk like arms. "Hallo, mah love!" he exclaimed, holding her against his firm chest.

"Hello, my darling. How was your day?" She asked as she looked up at him and kissed his cheek. "I know mine was just was interesting this morning." She smirked when he finally relented on her body. "I have a small favor to ask of you and I can be perfectly fine without it. I do not want you to think me one of material objects make me happy, however, I am hoping to have a tolken of affections from you. I want the world to know that I am taken by you." She looked down at the ground waiting to hear the arguement.

She felt a little guilty and wanted to tell Col what happened and saw his happy face she could not.

Col released her slowly and stepped back as she spoke. He reached up and stroked his chin, looking around in thought for a few moments, then looking back to her, he grinned widely. "I think I can do what ya want, Maggie."

He then cleared his through, looking around nervously for a moment, before he looked back at her. "Uh... I was wonderin'... would ya like ta spend tha night here with me?" He smiled, it a mix of anxiety and hope, then his eyes went wide when he realized an alternate meaning of what he said. "But, I dunna mean anything tha' we would save until after marriage..." He blushed, "...I was just hopin' ta sleep with ya in my arms..."

[I have posted this reply like eight times. My computer hates me]

"I am glad that it was not an issue. I felt silly for asking but I would like to be seen as taken by you." She kissed his cheek and settled herself into the tiny little house. She had taken a plate of food for the two of the partake in as well s a bottle of wine. She thought a drink would not hurt her, besides she was feeling a little guilty for the almost kiss she had shared with the prince. Why had he shown such interest in her all of the sudden. She poured her glass and sat at his table.

"I would very much like to spend the evening in your bed. I have never been near another like that and I would liked to try it with my future husband." She unraveled her hair as she finished her glass and poured herself another. "Would you like some?"

Col smiled and nodded, reaching out and picking up a glass and held it out as she filled it. Despite his stature, Col rarely drank and didn't have much of a tolerance for alcohol. Full bottles of wine were not something he could really afford with his pay as a blacksmith, and now with Maggie as his fiancee, he needed to save up more, but with her bringing from the castle, he could indulge himself.

They started chatting, and eating the food she had brought, and before long they had finished off the entire bottle, and as he sat there, Col found his head swimming. He attempted to stand, only to stumble. He was much more drunk than he had realized when he was sitting. He fell toward Maggie, but caught himself on the wall, one hand landing on her. It took him a few moments to realize that it was her chest that he felt squished under his large palm. If his face hadn't already been bright red from the intoxication, he would have turned that color right then.

Back
Top Bottom