Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

(Unknown Title) (Work in Progress)

This is where it'll eventually be, but this is a story of one Christmas in Dunwyn about four years after the final episode of the Gummi Bears where Duke Igthorne had attempted to take over Dunwyn.

Sadly, due to his actions, the Gummi Bears went back into hiding. In those four years, Princess Calla had taken on/over the role of The Crimson Avenger, and proved over and over to indeed be a heroine to her father and the whole village of Dunwyn.

Knighted as "Dame Calla, the Crimson Avenger, Guardian of Dunwyn", the princess has fought off Igthorne and his horde of ogres for these last four years... The problem is... Something is going on that Calla is not privy to and the timing can't be worse... Christmas is a week away, this is told from her point of view.

Last edited:
Here it was, a week before Christmas, and I had no idea what was going on with my village, or rather the people of said village that I protect. The whole of the village was acting as scared rabbits, but wouldn't explain to me, their sworn protector, what had them so scared. It was everyone, even strong men like from the butcher with the cleaver that chopped the meat, to the blacksmith who shoed the steeds of the king's knights, including mine.

Oh forgive my ill manners, allow me to introduce myself. Dame Calla, the Crimson Avenger, Guardian of Dunwyn. What's that? Oh. Yes, I am that Calla who is also princess of the realm, but only my dearest friends and my father, King Gregor know for sure. I'm certain most the village suspect it so. I'm quite adept with the bow and arrow, as well as the sabre, which I wear in it's sheath at my hip. I also have a rapier for such as fencing, but not as much now that I'm an actual knight, and no longer a non-killing vigilante. The gummi bears? We don't talk about them much anymore, because they've gone back in hiding, mostly due to my treacherous, and, frankly treasonous, uncle, the Duke of Drekmore, Sigmund Igthorne. The last thing Gruffi said to me was, "This isn't anything you did or didn't do, Princess... Man just isn't ready for our return. You need someone to blame, look to your uncle." That was four years ago.

Taking the mantle first created by Cubbi, I became the new Crimson Avenger, and even fought alongside my father a number of times, saving his entourage (including several embarrassed knights), from a group of blackguards, bent on robbing him... And not for the sake of the poor, if you follow me, although we had heard of Sir Robin of Locksley and his escapades farther south in Nottingham.

Now, to the present time, let me reiterate, that I, the guardian, wasn't told what was troubling Dunwyn. It seemed my uncle was laying low as I had soundly defeated him and sent him and his ogres running back to Drekmore not yet a fortnight before. However, that wasn't the end of the attacks on my village I swore to protect. However, that was the first sign that something was amiss, though at the time, I thought nothing of it. The baker's daughter presented me with a cookie. Nothing amiss? Not the gift itself, no, as it's common practice for a merchant to present gifts of food, wares, or something in gratitude for a knight doing her job, especially if said knight lives in town to be there at a moment's notice. No. It's what it's been the last fortnite. Either a dragon's head cookie with fire breathing out of it's mouth, or a full body of said creature. I know not what she is trying to say by this. Even I know princesses and dragons do not mix, and when they do, it always ends badly for the princess; it doesn't end too well for knights riding to the rescue of princesses, either. What could I do with the dragon cookie but eat it, anyway? Isn't that what you do with cookies, especially if famished from fighting for your people? I guess you could say I have slain seven dragon cookies thus far, but no closer to knowing what has everyone so scared. They know by now they only need ask for help and explain how if there's time. And there is plenty of that in this current lull, while Uncle Sigmund licks his wounds from his latest defeat at the hands, and sabre, of the Crimson Avenger.

The mystery before me, at least that I know by observation, is that for this same fortnight, people, and not just damsels, have been disappearing. Farmers have reported that yes, cattle, horses, sheep, goats and even dogs have vanished without a trace as well. A fellow knight at first denied knowing anything. "I remind you, fellow knight, to whom you are talking." I said. "You know how capable I am of looking after myself, and I'm in charge of the whole village that is outside the castle." After much debate, finally he let it be known to me, that he left his horse at the lake to rest and drink as he scouted about. When he returned, the horse was gone. A Knight's steed is our means of transport, and if taken care of, and treated well, is very loyal. I know the knight. He respected his steed, so in no way would it just leave without a trace. I have puzzled over this as well. Dragons have been scarce in this area of Northern Britain for nigh unto three decades. I personally have never seen one that was real, but had seen the footprint of one that turned out to be nothing but a machine. Decoy, as it were. Whatever is doing these things must be a spirit, but even that can easily be dismissed as it's taking physical things that can be touched or felt.

As far as people, I know very little about dragon behaviour, but don't they usually go after sacrifices, and aren't those usually damsels? Whatever this is, doesn't seem to be concerned much about the gender, as both male and female have disappeared. It's almost even. I must need to lie in wait, but I only have myself as bait. I dare not ask any of the village I have sworn to protect to be bait for a creature I can only dare to guess as to what it is. You are up to date.

December 22

This night is to be the longest of the year. If I am to face this creature, it would be tonight. Again the baker's daughter brought me a dragon cookie. "Avenger, I love you. Be safe." Her farewell and kiss to my cheek, and tears as I sent her to safety, I will have to question later. I know she is one of those I call close enough to let know I'm the princess as well as defender and knight, but still what a bizarre salutation, and no need for those tears.

As it neared the wee hours, at what had to be when the night was darkest, came the most horrid screech and darkest shadow I think I have ever seen in my sixteen years upon this earth. A dragon! Merciful heavens, they do exist! I readied my bow, having heard about the kink in their armour, fear coursed through my veins as my blood ran cold within me. I needed to steady my hand, and to do so meant steadying my nerves; it had spotted me with it's serpentine eyes, and the wingspan had to be at least 50 foot from tip to tip. It was a greenish gold colour, and that's when I spotted the kink. Right where other surviving knights had said it was. Where the heart was. Convenient if it wasn't in motion. I knew also that there was only one shot at the vile beast. I quickly took to a tree, climbing as high as I dared as it circled. My plan had worked too well. I was definitely it's target. My young life started to flash before my eyes, and for a moment, maybe even a trice I fell into the fear trap, as it dove straight for me, the stench of sulfur all but overpowering my senses, as well as the otherworldly screech. "I pray my arrow find that small kink in it's armour..." I said firing. I recall nothing else from that moment.

December 25

I awoke to the church bells ringing in the village. I knew I was in the village, but didn't recognize the room as it wasn't mine, in my own home in the village. I blinked a few times and made my way down the stairs of the inn, stopping midway to witness a crowd of people, who looked forlorn, like they had lost their best friend. In the midst was my own father; the king.

"I'm sorry, King Gregor, but she hasn't awoken yet. There is still hope she'll pull through." Said a villager.

" It's been three days, or nearly, that my daughter lies up there, unconscious and unmoving." My father said. "I feared this day would come, but not on this of all days. Even the physician said it was in the hands of a higher authority."

I finished descending and heard a scree that to me was likened the baby of the beast I had shot down, and had landed upon me, though that I didn't know yet.

I was hugged from behind, but to me it felt more an attack from some creature that may hug it's victims to death. I cried out in surprise and I must admit a little pain as well, causing all to turn and look, and the over-affectionate creature to jump off with a gasp and apologize profusely. Maybe even over apologize and beg forgiveness. Of course, it was the one who had been trying to warn me from the beginning. Now was not the time to scold the baker's daughter and her odd behaviour before the dragon attack. The fellow teen looked mortified enough, besides, I hated to admit that despite causing unnecessary pain, I actually didn't mind THIS hug so much. My father couldn't have said it any better. "The Crimson Avenger returns to the world of the living, indeed Dunwyn will have a Merry Christmas after all!"

The End. Screenshot_20211206-131538.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom