Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A space pirate, by all means- [ Looking for inspiration and input! Ask me questions! ]

Nautical

avast ye
Supporter
Hey there, friends.

I'm quite nervous about putting this out there, but I'm dying to build this character and see him grow, so I turn to the wonderful minds of BMR for inspiration and input.

This is a character that I played in a homebrew D&D campaign that lasted somewhere in the neighborhood of a year and then was rekindled into something that we finished for just some sort of closure. I'm not necessarily happy with that, and I was so attached to my character that I seek to bring him back to life, so to speak. I want to fill him out, make him better and more real. A lot of the folks I played this game have moved away and we don't keep in touch that often anymore, so it's hard to find all of the old information, but I've put my memories into snippets as far as world details and other things that pertain closely to my character. A lot of these are more about than anything, and that's what I'd like to build more of so that as I build Buck himself it's more clear to me what I want to do with his backstory and him as a character.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and entertain questions/curiosities you have as to stir my thoughts and get me to write things down and record my inputs about this world and my character!

DAVID CORSAIR

affectionately known as Buck.

Brought up as a normal kid for most of his childhood, but around sixteen he took to sail the stars with his father. As a mercenary, that just never ends well. Before his father passed, however, the man trained Buck in everything. Buck was by all means the ideal soldier. He knows anything and everything about guns, ammunition, explosives and all other manner of deadly weapon - along with being trained in more than enough ways to use them all incredibly efficiently. Anyone that knew Buck would say he was simply born for combat. Whether it was as an Alliance power armor monkey or one of Amber Vector's hardened veterans, hell even one of Goldeneyes' vicious pirate lords - Buck was destined to be in the fray.

His happy place is in an armory, or a shooting range, or on the battlefield. That's where he finds his peace.. which is odd given only one of those places would be so readily equated with the word peace.

GOLDENEYES

A ruthless pirate queen that operates in free and wild space. Her influence reaches as far as you could believe outside of corporate space. She commands all manner of crew and kin, each one more dangerous and bloodthirsty than the next. Buck's very name makes her skin crawl, and every bandit lord and crew would die for the bounty on Buck's head. Yet, Buck seems to make it out the victor.. each and every time.. bloody and bruised surely, but victorious.

AMBER VECTOR

Highly trained. Efficient. Massive in number. It's a private military funded by those with the money to do absolutely, positively whatever they fucking want. These are the boys Buck chomps at the bit to fight, but it's almost never in the cards. They've heard of him, even tried to recruit him once. Buck can't go within a mile of that location anymore.

BLUE MIST

A smaller, less threatening version of Amber Vector, favoring blue instead of orange. While the cronies aren't as scary, there's one particular baddie that Buck has been no stranger to run-ins with. This company operates on a smaller corporation scale, focusing on subterfuge and information along with assassinations rather than brute force and destruction like their larger and superior cousin.

-> MASTER YI [ yeah, like from League of Legends ]

A headpiece of the Blue Mist mercenary company, he's no stranger to Buck and Buck is certainly no stranger to him. He's fast, seems to be psionic to some capacity, and is without a doubt one of the most ruthless adversaries for our Buck. Yi is lanky, long arms and legs, sporting a rather odd set of eyewear with several lenses. He wields one of the few vorpal weapons that Buck has encountered in the form of a Katana with a shining blue blade. The scars never seem to stop hurting.

LEVIATHAN

Just one of the many deities or patrons that exist in the Darkstorm universe, however quite easily one of the most powerful. Leviathan handles time as we know it. He can stop it, start it, pull us out of it, control. In space he manifests as a massive white whale, dipping in and out of the Astral as he makes his rounds. When called upon, or rather when he decides you're worthy of speaking to, you appear to him. He's a man with no face, but instead a glimmering black mass where one should have been. The rest of him is unmistakable as well, the finest grey suit fitted by the most talented tailor, and the desk and chair he's always sitting behind are beyond luxurious. He's fond of making deals, but.. they're not good deals I'd say- well, they are always good for him.. and not so much for the poor soul that has to accept.. though he always seems to appear when said deals are absolutely necessary.

-> PILOT

One of Leviathan's soldiers it would seem. More or less a bag of meat with a set of ideals that Leviathan has assigned it. He never speaks, he never gestures. He simply does what's necessary. For the longest time he was the ace pilot on Buck's crew. Even the getaway driver of several heists. Pilot seemed strange, but so valuable an asset. It was a foolish Necromancer that upset Pilot one day, bringing out what appeared to be some sort of temper. The fight took place on the Vostuk, and while Pilot took no lives that day, he revealed what he was and then disappeared. The thought of an unkillable man still haunts Buck. Everyone can die.

ZYZZ

A chaotic and charismatic gryphon, this patron was one Buck particularly seemed fond of for some time, though he only ever prayed to on rare occasion. Another of the many forces that would come to hand in destroying the Lich Queen.

THE FORGOTTEN KING

Another patron, almost as diabolical as Leviathan. The crew never found out much about this one, but knew the name as possessing a large amount of power.

-> ABADDON

The name the A.I. sliver gave itself that the crew came into possession of right around the time that Lady came aboard the Vostuk. Holding the chip gave the A.I. a neural link to your thoughts so he could speak to you. A booming voice, always talking about rebuilding his crown. The crew came to learn that Abaddon and The Forgotten King were one and the same. Somehow Lady had put an entire patron into the Matrix and sealed it away onto a chip - then split it several times. Of course, being omniscient and omnipotent, Abaddon had a way of causing trouble in an attempt to get Lady out of the picture - dead - and reassembling himself to take back his seat as The Forgotten King.

-> LADY

A dainty cat girl who had an affinity for thievery. She was far too good at it, too. She could steal anything as long as it wasn't nailed down. She would have been beyond useful if not for her companion in Abaddon. For a short time, Buck seemed to enjoy Lady's company, but that link soon grew colder and colder as he could see her actions influenced by the corrupt A.I. she possessed and refused to destory. She had evil in her heart without a doubt, but as long as she provided useful she stayed on the crew.

THE VOSTUK II

Formerly a shipping frigate, the Vostuk II was a shadow of it's predecessor's glory, and Buck would know since he was there when the original.. had an accident. It wasn't nearly as built to be fast, but it was fast. The gnome and their mechanic, Virgil, saw to that. While it lacked aerodynamics and any real positive appearance, it did what the crew needed. It housed everything, Buck's armory, the Gnome's lab, Gilcent's library and even a hangar where they kept one small mech and two fighter ships.

-> VIRGIL

A very short, very short-tempered, and very angry gnome with dark skin. He spoke in mostly Ebonics and never failed to threaten anyone that interrupted him in the bowels of the ship. He maintained the ship like a champ, though, the best mechanic Buck ever knew despite his anger issues.

-> GILCENT

Gilcent. Buck can't have anything but fond memories of this man. Gilcent was as influential in the life and times of David Corsair as he himself was. Gilcent was the information broker for the crew, as well as well.. any other hat he needed to wear at the time. A jack of all trades truly, and could find out anything about anyone given the time. He did have this particular habit for.. taking vacations.. that was the best excuse they ever got. Buck could believe it, seeing as the crew was a headache at nearly all times of the day. Those vacations were not that at all, though, as Gilcent was a devotee to Leviathan - unwillingly.

-> THE GNOME

A psychotic little bag of bad decisions. He was the crew's technical expert, though. He was the only one skilled enough to ship himself into the Matrix and accomplish anything at all. His best friend was an A.I. he affectionately called Butler. Butler was stuffed into all manner of technology, and even as the gnome disappeared Butler remained to be as helpful as he could - though he was quite poorly programmed despite the Gnome being so good at what he did. An unfinished project, some would say. The gnome's decisions were impulsive, loose, and never with thought. He had to be told what he needed to accomplish, and was most of the time okay with the plan.. though sometimes it went awry when he started talking to what he claimed were other gnomes in his head and they told him to do things. Most of the time they told him to shoot someone with the comically large gun he built.

THE BIRD

The bird, as everyone called him.. never knew an actual name and always assumed it was some garbled up word in a garbled up crow language. That's what he was, a gnome sized crow. The Shunkie race was something of a nuisance in most cases, always trying to take anything that remotely sparkled or shined. The bird was, however, a very skilled sniper rifle handler with a thirst for combat. So much so, that he began early on to amass followers behind his claim to overthrow the patron of War and take his place. This seemed all but a fever dream until minor miracles started to become available and used at will. More word spread and spread, reaching all parts of free and wild space. Soon enough, Buck championed the small bird. His patron lived and breathed, walking the earth as Buck fought in his name. Numerous times did the bird save his hide it seemed, so the cause was worth continuing to carry on his shoulders.

THE CREW

Buck and company were sponsored originally. Don Zappo, the man who Buck seemed to quite enjoy working for while they were in corporate space, fronted the cost for their soul insurance. So, effectively immortal so long as their neural implants were protected, Buck and his rowdy band of morons got to work doing the dirty jobs. In most cases it never mattered what they were assigned to do - it ended violently. Sometimes that was good, others bad.. Buck didn't care too much. He always picked a fight, saying the wrong word to the wrong person.. he didn't bother thinking about offending someone. He knew he could back it up, and if not.. well they'd have to kill him to make him shut up or stop.

-> DON ZAPPO

A very typical mob boss, employing Buck for quite some time before they eventually left corporate space to seek glory in the deeper wilds.

JUNGLE JUICE

Surprisingly enough, Buck's crew did have some legitimate income that wasn't in unmarked credit chips that they were handed in a dark alley on a Tuesday at dusk so the cameras weren't looking at a very specific spot. Along the way, he and his merry band of ne'er-do-wells encountered a horde of goblins in the sewer system of a city. After a very bloody killing spree, the loot focused band of.. well, let's be fair and say that Buck's crew were less mercenaries and more bandits by now, stumbled upon a hell of a recipe. It was booze, and Buck seemed to enjoy the idea of making it. It called for a long list of strange ingredients, especially in the times they inhabited. However it was a hit and very easily turned a profit. They sold it through the Don's nightclubs so that it seemed legitimate enough, and occasionally they would get a transfer from their pal Zappo, dividends for liquor sales on the other end of the galaxy.

NEURAL COMMUNICATION

The crew used neural communication, which allowed them to communicate through brain waves.. like psychics to be precise. They linked up through the chips implanted just below the back of their neck, and could communicate without sound or emotion. Anyone with a neural implant had this option, though if a person was so gifted with Psionic talent, the magic of the mind as some referred to it as, they could also use such communication with the lack of an implant.

PSIONICS

Magic of the mind. This natural gift came with the options of mind reading, telekinesis, various boons and buffs that could be transferred and made use of in the forms of written runes and glyphs. They creep Buck out, he doesn't like people in his thoughts.

WILD MAGIC

More traditional magic. I cast fireball kind of shit. While Darkstorm is futuristic, ancient magics and the wielders of them still existed. With practice and the right bodily augments, this magic was still just as potent as it could ever have dreamed to be. It did seem to have an issue dealing with some of the modern machinery that it encountered.

CYBERNETICS

Body mods. Want to jump higher? Bionic legs. Throw harder, hit harder? Bionic arms. There were cybernetic implants for anything and everything. They didn't come cheap, however, and an even larger drawback began over time to sap one's sanity if they were installed in large quantities. Over-augmented freaks were an occasional enemy, almost controlled by another individual. They were.. quite fun to fight, if Buck was being honest. He had considered some cybernetics in the past, but elected to simply be better than his enemies. So far so good.

THE ALLIANCE

The Alliance.

The military, if there were one. These guys were worse than Amber Vector and not half as funded. They were power hungry fools, drunk on corporate sponsorship. They berated, belittled, walked over the commonfolk. They patrolled in gaudy armor with brand new, never seen combat weapons. Buck despised them, almost needing to held back when one was around to stop from tearing the sniveling little bastards to pieces. They were.. essentially highborn, elite members of society that wanted to play with guns. While Buck enjoyed their taste in armor, that didn't calm his bloodlust towards any member.. especially those high ranking powersuit monkeys. Oh, he hated them.. They made his blood boil and his skin crawl. They were such a worthy adversary - in power armor - that Buck at times even seemed to get off on fighting them. He could always vividly and fondly remember tearing the metals and polymers of a power armor suit away from the pilot inside. The actual men and women that made up the Alliance forces were not untrained either, but it didn't take long for Buck to appear on several of their lists. He had to let other people do the communicating on the ship, despite him being captain, for fear of any spontaneous check finding him.

THE MORGUE

Located on Station X47-C, the morgue is Buck's base of operations. X47-C, given the name Exist by its Alliance inhabitants, is what's left of a bustling industrial metropolis. A small portion of it is still in working order, easily located by the gloomy cloud of industrial smoke billowing from a weapons manufacturing plant. The rest of the station is abandoned, run down, grimy, filled with the rattiest and lowest of livelihoods. Except for the morgue that Buck has claimed as his own. Nobody would go near it, not even when paid to do so. Buck was basically living in a place that didn't exist. The wooden sign above the door hung down on one rusted hinge. The doors didn't open all the way, one of them at all. Buck had only managed to pry it open and let himself in and out. Nobody dared even be in the alley that the entrance faced, so nobody saw him come and go. Inside was sterile, though only a few lights still worked on what was left of the station's power grid. There was an incredibly simple A.I. that still inhabited it, and over time it had become almost sentient. It was welcome company for Buck, though the entity didn't know anything outside of the morgue.

The main room, which is really all Buck used and inhabited, was decorated with several surgical gurneys - one of which Buck had claimed as a bed, along with a wall of clinical corpse vaults. It was eerie, beyond belief.. sometimes it even bothered Buck. There had been no bodies when he arrived.. nowhere in the place at all in fact. It was cleaned before it was abandoned and that led him to believe that it wasn't exactly being used for something within the confines of the law. Someone wanted nothing left behind, not a single fingerprint of breath mark. It had been ransacked for valuables, but that had happened so long ago that the last time someone set foot in here before Buck was probably no less than a hundred years ago. So this was home for now.. accompanied by a simple A.I. who liked to talk and went by the name of Timothy and nothing else but the gentle hum of halogen lights when they decided to work.

Back
Top Bottom