Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Studio Ghibli

POM POKO.
Forget your beautiful coming-of-age stories, your painful World War II tragedies, your light-hearted pastoral slices of life.
This flick has tanuki beating up policemen with their nutsacks. Your argument is invalid.
English dub also has some stellar western voice talent.

Actually, Porco Rosso might low-key be my favorite. I had never seen it unlike, like, last year. Planes are awesome.
Otherwise, probably Nausicaa? Or perhaps Mononoke (which, along with Grave of the Fireflies, was the first Ghibli movie I saw).
Mononoke is one of those works I can give top props to for being a fantasy story doesn't have a black-and-white sense of morality (and also isn't a story where everyone is a douchebag). Instead, everyone is portrayed sympathetically. They're just trying to survive in a world that isn't really big enough for all of them. The shittiest character (The Emperor) doesn't even appear and his soldiers are only a tangential presence.
Even Jigo, who is the closest thing to a real villain, isn't some monstrously evil person, he's just kind of apathetic and banal. Which is kind of what a lot of people in real life are, when you get right down to it.

In no particular order, I adore Spirited Away, Porco Rosso and Princess Mononoke. I might have a bigger soft spot for Mononoke since Ashitaka is such a heroic character and he was so inspiring when I saw the movie as a child.

Back
Top Bottom