Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Cat and Mouse Games [sevenpercentsolution and Seraph]

Unlike Hellboy, Prince Nuada had never sought the reassurance and acceptance of normalcy - he had known from the beginning that he was different from the rest of his kind, not only because of his bizarre connection to his sister, but also because he was aware of how unusual his thought process was when compared to the rest of his civilization. Chiefly because of his ability to feel Nuala's mind, Nuada had known even as a child that the way he thought was dark and strange, as though he had been born without something that every other elf had been born with. He still shared the same connection to the mother Earth, of course, but for him the connection had been magnified over time, after witnessing the slow death of the plant and animal life, after the few humans who discovered their kind - attacked. Not from self defense, but just to kill.

Nuala had been spared the sight, but Nuada had seen the blood and the death first-hand, and though she saw it through his memories, her mind frame told her not to be angry with the attackers, but only to mourn for the loss of life and hope for a future where the same thing could be prevented. Nuada, in turn, developed an intense need to end the war in a different way - at first it had been a seething hatred for humans, but over time it had become part of a simple goal, the rage was controlled but the purpose was still behind it: humans needed to be wiped out for all other species to survive.

He cocked his head to the side,

"How sweet," Nuada said through a vicious-looking smile as Abe suggested he might get a - recess - from his imprisonment, "As thoughtful as it is, Abraham, you cannot even secure a new novel. Your - Manning - will certainly not grant me even an hour's leave."

He resisted the urge to touch Abe again and privately chastised himself for the thought - he wasn't certain what was possessing him to have physical contact with the other, but it was just another urge he would need to analyze.

His words struck a bitter nerve and Abe, without any desire to, recalled Manning's nickname for him "Fish-stick." It had never bothered him before, but in that moment for some odd reason, it did. It was an example of how little power he had compared to the other man. He took a step forward before he turned lightly on his heel and started to pace, never-minding the way Nuada continued to stare. The amphibian man rested his right hand on his mouth and tapped his fingers lightly there as he walked, his other arm crossed behind his back.

"A book," he started albeit dismally, "is not necessary for my existence. Sunlight, rather, nature is for yours, given that you are not supposed to be tortured, if we wish to use that phrase, Manning would have to agree that it is 'cruel and unusual' punishment for you to be constantly confined here."

He stopped pacing and turned his head to look over his shoulder at Nuada, "Given that your life is also tied to Nuala, he might be willing..."

Or Abe would just have to go through another rousing rendition of 'This is an anti-acid! It's medicine--yes, it's over the counter but it's still medicine.' He crossed his arms over his chest and considered how many times it was possible to hear the same story without going insane. Was it at all like living in a box? With the lights on near constantly?

"Do they ever turn off the lights?"

Nuada did not refute Abe's statement; it was no exaggeration that his kind needed the outside world to survive - even humans tended to lose their minds when they spent too long in one place, they would get cabin fever from the same surroundings again and again, but the elves were so connected to the Earth that it effected them heavily when they were no longer able to even see nature. His few weeks there had already been chewing at the edges of his sanity, had made him fidgety, though he had never once complained about the treatment - he knew there was no sense in it.

"My dear sister made the plea for me already," Nuada said softly, "The week prior to this one - she requested I be given some time outside. She was ignored, I imagine, because there was suspicion that she might try to somehow aid in my escape, should I be allowed beyond this - cage."

He followed Abe's line of vision to the buzzing flourescent lights, and then he shook his head slowly,

"They are always on." he said; it had lent to his restlessness - the constant light meant sleep was limited, and he was certain it was all part of some build up, an attempt to physically and mentally exhaust him, a more subtle form of torture - the kind that could be shrugged off, because in the brief time Nuada did sleep, he found himself frequently awoken by the guards, and so had taken to using his meditation to try to keep himself strong,

"Such passive-aggressive methods." Nuada said, giving one of his dark smiles.

Abe gave a slight nod; Nuala hadn't mentioned anything about her visit to Manning. He wondered why she hadn't, he could have tried to help her in her plea. His eyes didn't leave the buzzing lights as he considered everything for several moments silently before he looked to Nuada, "I shall speak with Manning. If a proper chaperone could be assigned, I'm believe that he'd allow you to recess outside." There was a bit of a hopeful note when he added, "Perhaps even a room in which you will be able to turn-off the lights should you choose."

The amphibian turned to the guards and looked down the long stretch of white-washed hallway, "Perhaps tomorrow I can return with good news. For both you and Nuala." He glanced over his shoulder and blinked twice at Nuada as his eyes lingered for a moment at the pale elf. He looked ragged, something he hadn't noticed before, it made him see the urgency in getting such a request authorized. He had almost lost Nuala once, and he wasn't going to lose her because Manning wouldn't grant a privilege that would save her brothers life. He turned his head back around before he started to walk down the hall.

Back
Top Bottom